TFTBR - June 2014

Resource Manager

26 June 2014

1 Samuel 5; 6
Isaiah 51
Revelation 12; 13

“LISTEN TO ME”

Our Isaiah chapter [51] starts, “Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness …” [isaiah 51:1] “Give attention to me my people … give ear to me …” [isaiah 51:4] How many respond to God’s appeal – then – and now? Our chapter takes a long range view – to our time, “My righteousness draws near, my salvation has gone out, and my arms will judge … for my arm they wait.” [isaiah 51:5] Back in Isaiah 33:2 the prophet’s prayer was, “… we wait for you. Be our arm every morning” Our thoughts go to John’s Gospel and the quotation from Isaiah, the unbelief Jesus encountered “so that the word spoken by the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled: ‘Lord, who has believed what he heard from us, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?’ " [John 12:38] Jesus is the “arm” of the LORD.

God’s word, as we see in Isaiah, sometimes uses the word ‘heavens’ to indicate rulers and ‘earth’ to indicate those ruled over. With that understanding we see Isaiah 51:6 as a graphic prophecy that will climax in our world now, it is a message for today. “lift your eyes to the heavens, and look at the earth beneath; for the heavens vanish like smoke, the earth will wear out like a garment, and they who dwell in it will die in like manner …” But the verse ends, “but my salvation will be forever, and my righteousness will never be dismayed.”

The chapter started “Listen to me” and now it significantly occurs again, “Listen to me you who know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law, fear not the reproach of man, nor be dismayed at their revilings.”” [isaiah 51:7] How few are listening? How ready are others to utter “revilings” about those who sincerely believe God’s word – and show that belief in the what they say and the way they live.

But what wonders of eternity await those who really listen! Isaiah 51:11 says they will “come to Zion with singing and everlasting joy shall be upon their heads, and they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.”

“Listen to me” Are you really listening? Are you reacting in the right way to what you hear? Today’s chapter [13] in Revelation describes the trouble the saints will experience – and the fate of “everyone whose name has not been written … in the book of life of the Lamb that was slain … Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints” [Revelation 13:8-10] Are you listening? Those who genuinely listen and develop real faith will endure.
-------
- DC

27 June 2014

1 Samuel 7; 8
Isaiah 52
Revelation 14

“HOW BEAUTIFUL”

Our readings today are full of contrasts, but that is the nature of God’s word, on the one hand expressing his dismay and resultant anger at the godless behaviour of human beings – but on the other hand giving pictures of coming glory for those whose convictions and resultant behaviour are righteous.

Our chapter [14] in Revelation ends with a vision of the wrath of God when “the angel swung his sickle across the earth and gathered the grape harvest of the earth and threw it into the great winepress of the wrath of God” [Revelation 14:19] The symbology is clear: today so few know – and show by the way they live – that there is a God – a Creator.

Isaiah is caused by the Creator [isaiah 52] to first write that “continually all the day my name is despised” [isaiah  52:5]: then, in contrast, “my people shall know my name. Therefore in that day they shall know that is I who speak; here I am” [isaiah 52:6] Are we making God aware by our earnest prayers that we “know” his name, that we have heart felt confidence, that is so evident to others that they know something of the “good news” that is in our hearts.

The next verse [isaiah 52:7] has a wonderful poetic picture, “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation …” The outcome is [isaiah 52:8] “they see the return of the LORD to Zion.” At this time “the LORD has bared his holy arm before the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.” [isaiah 52:10] as he brings to an end the terrible time when he executes “the wrath of God.”

The contrast of these events will add to the perception of “how beautiful” is the publishing of salvation and the total awareness it brings to the earth that there is a Creator and “the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of God” “How beautiful” – indeed, utterly wonderful, will it be to experience that time. We make ‘the answer now’ as to whether it will be our experience.
-------
- DC

28 June 2014

1 Samuel 9
Isaiah 53
Revelation 15; 16

“ARMAGEDDON”

Today’s Revelation reading is the only place in the Bible where the word “Armageddon” occurs. Yet the word keeps cropping up in the world, especially in movies for mass mind consumption! There is a fear among many, that is more than subconscious, that there is a great crisis ahead. There is continuing chaos in the nations surrounding Israel, but not in Israel itself, it is now more than 40 years since any of their surrounding enemies dared to attack them, not counting troubles with the Gaza Strip. We have seen a kind of animal savagery in the civil war conflicts in Syria – and now in Iraq. There is no regard for human life. No one sees any long term future for the world! The United Nations is impotent and the United States is no longer willing to try to act as a ‘policemen’ in trouble spots. The European Union is impotent and could fall apart financially in the next year or two.

It is understandable, if you do not believe in the Bible, that you see no future for the world. Revelation 16 starts by saying there is “a loud voice from the temple telling the seven angels, ‘Go and pour out on the earth the seven bowls of the wrath of God’” [Revelation 16:1] We see pictured in symbol, the ultimate outpouring of the Creator’s anger on those who do not obey him, but the greater number do not even believe he exists. Some in past centuries have persecuted true believers – and today we read, “for they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and you have given them blood to drink. It is what they deserve. …They did not repent of their deeds.” [Revelation 16:6,11]

We read in Revelation 16:14 of “demonic spirits” (unreasoning, mad attitudes of mind?) … who go abroad to the kings of the whole world, to assemble them for battle … at the place that is called in Hebrew, Armageddon” [Revelation 16:14,16] This is a place (valley?) spoken of by several Old Testament prophets without using the word Armageddon. Joel calls it “the valley of decision” [Joel 3:14]

As the world today becomes more and more God-less we wonder how close we are to the bowls of God’s wrath being emptied? Whether that time is close or not, if we really fear God, let us always be ready. May it be our wondrous experience to sing “the song of the Lamb” we read in Revelation 15:3-4, “Great and amazing are your deeds … O king of the nations! Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify your name? … All nations will come and worship you, for your righteous acts have been revealed.”
-------
- DC

29 June 2014

1 Samuel 10
Isaiah 54
Revelation 17; 18

"FOR IN A SINGLE HOUR …”

Every time we read Revelation, especially chapters 16 to 20, a multitude of thoughts threaten to overwhelm us. We focus our attention most of all on the ‘picture’ they give of the climax of human history at the return of Christ: this is totally dramatic and sudden. We perceive that this is the latter day counterpart to ancient Babylon - and we recall the head of gold of Nebuchadnezzar’s image and the dramatic end of his Empire. We are also mindful of the fact that ‘Babylon’ is the way the Greeks translate the Hebrew word ‘Babel’ into their language causing us to think of what God did to Babel generations after the flood to demonstrate to ungodly men that he is in control in the earth.

Therefore Revelation is giving us a picture in symbolic language, of the final “hour” of human kingdoms. We read, “Alas! Alas! … you mighty city, Babylon! For in a single hour your judgment has come.” [Revelation 18:10] The spiritual element in Babylon today is “clothed in fine linen, in purple and scarlet” [Revelation 18:16]; these are the dominant colours in Papal garments - but “in a single hour she has been laid waste. Rejoice over her, O heaven, and you saints … for God has given judgement for you against her” [Revelation 18:19-20]

A puzzling factor is the great wealth of this latter day Babylon that Revelation highlights. Can we see significance in the fact that the European Common Market was established by the ‘Treaty of Rome’ in 1957 and the countries that belong (and it seems significant that the U.K. did not sign), and that just about all of them are Roman Catholic. The major reason for their unity is financial and for 50 years the E.U. has been very prosperous. But now the scene has changed and could become a disaster, so note the words, “for in a single hour all this wealth has been laid waste” [Revelation 18:17]

Our Lord made a simple statement, “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.” [Matthew 6:24] What is it to “serve money”? Money, and the things it can buy, dominate the thinking of just about every one! We see this all around us; it must not dominate our thinking.

Let us heed the voice which says, “Praise God, all you his servants, you who fear him, small and great … Let us rejoice … and give him glory” [Revelation 19:5]. True believers are “his bride (who has) made herself ready” – make sure you are among them.
-------
- DC

30 June 2014

1 Samuel 11; 12
Isaiah 55
Revelation 19; 20

“WITH ALL YOUR HEART”

There can be no half measures in serving the LORD, either we are fully committed - or not – there is the narrow way – or the broad way. Our first reading today describes the success of King Saul when he began his reign, he did serve the LORD – he began well, encouraged and guided by Samuel. We have no Samuel to guide us, but we have God’s word – all of it. Samuel exhorts the people and Saul, “Serve the LORD with all your heart…. do not turn aside after empty things that cannot profit … Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you …. Fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart.” [1 Samuel 12:20,21,23,24] All around us people occupy their minds with ‘empty things.’ We are going to read in coming days , the failure of Saul to follow the LORD with all his heart – a lesson for us.

Next – what a wonderful vision Isaiah records for us, it is somewhat parallel to Samuel’s. He tells God’s people not to “labour for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me …” [isaiah 55:2] We can read – diligently – what God has caused to be written and preserved – “Seek the LORD while he may be found” [isaiah 55:6] is an even more urgent call to us today. “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and … water the earth, making it bring forth… so shall my word be that goes from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty , but it shall accomplish that which I purpose … for you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace” [isaiah 55:10-12]

Chapter 20 in Revelation spells out that wondrous time to come, a time when those who are not ‘marked’ by the “beast” of humanity with fleshly attitudes and ambitions, but have served “the LORD with all their heart “ – not being distracted and turning “aside after fleshly things” – they will have experienced wonder far beyond our comprehension when they came “to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.” [Revelation 20:4] Parts of the final chapters of Revelation look back over time – from the perspective of timelessness – what a perception of “heart” will then be achieved – may we develop clearness of vision and a dedicated sense of commitment with all our heart so that, by the grace of God, we will be there.
-------
- DC