TFTBR - June 2014

Resource Manager

01 June 2014

Joshua 18
Isaiah 24
Hebrews 6; 7

“FOR BEHOLD I CREATE …”

Today’s and tomorrow’s chapters in Isaiah [isaiah 24; 25] contain a powerful message about the climax of human history, yet they are not very often quoted. Chapter 24 ends with “for the LORD of hosts reigns on Mount Zion and Jerusalem and his glory will be before his elders.” [isaiah 24:23]

The next chapter begins with the reaction of the righteous, “O LORD, you are my God, I will exalt your name for you have done wonderful things …” Humanly fortified cities have become ruins, never to be rebuilt [isaiah 25:2] and the “cities of ruthless nations will fear you.” [isaiah 25:3] God has “been a stronghold to the poor … to the needy in his distress” [isaiah 25:4]

Then a glorious scene opens up, “On this mountain the LORD of hosts will make for all peoples a feast of rich food … he will swallow up death forever and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces … Behold this is our God, we have waited for him … “ [isaiah 25:6,8,9]. But go back, we jumped over nearly all of Isaiah 24 – it speaks of what is to happen before this time of wonder and joy on the earth. It is an extremely frightening picture! Is it about to happen? The chapter started, “Behold the LORD will empty the earth and make it desolate …”

The next verse indicates that all the buyers, sellers, lenders, borrowers, creditors and debtors will suffer. Isaiah 24:3 says, “The earth shall be utterly empty and utterly plundered; for the LORD has spoken this word”. Then we read “the earth lies defiled under its inhabitants” [isaiah 24:5], “its inhabitants suffer for their guilt” [isaiah 24:6] and then follows details of the ways in which they will suffer.

Reading further - “The earth is utterly broken … is violently shaken … its transgression lies heavily upon it and it falls and will not rise again” [isaiah 24:19-20]. This is symbolic language of the heavens and the earth (rulers and people) that now exist being destroyed. But later in Isaiah we will come across a wonderful vision, for God says, “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in that which I create; for behold I create Jerusalem to be a joy … my chosen shall long enjoy the work of their hands.” [isaiah 65:17,18,22] Will you behold these things?
-------
- DC

02 June 2014

Joshua 19
Isaiah 25
Hebrews 8; 9

"... TO SAVE THOSE WHO …”

Let us link up the closing words of our reading in Hebrews [Hebrews 9] “Christ … will appear a second time … to save those who are eagerly waiting for him” with the words God gave to Isaiah, in today’s chapter 25, which we referred to yesterday. This describes the time when God “will swallow up death forever; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces, and the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth …” It will be said on that day, ‘Behold, this is our God; we have waited for him … let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation.” [isaiah 25:8-9]

How eagerly are we waiting? Is the world around us full of ways of living that attract us, things that largely or fully occupy our minds? Yes, we have to live in the world and earn our living, but are we keenly interested in the vision God’s word provides for us that goes far beyond the present materialistic way of thinking and doing?

We are forced to admit that this computer communication age, which is very helpful in many ways, is also very distracting – do we need to allow it to be totally distracting? The more our minds feed on God’s word the more we will be attracted to that word. In that coming day, the LORD tells us through Isaiah, the redeemed will say, “O LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you … for you have done wonderful things, plans formed of old, faithful and sure … Therefore strong peoples will glorify you; cities of ruthless nations will fear you.” [isaiah 25:1,3]

At that time those who have been “eagerly waiting” and showing this by their priorities in life will “be glad and rejoice”. Peter in his 1st epistle, which we will soon read, expresses this powerfully, “Though you do not now see him, you believe him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and full of glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith …” [1 Peter 1:8-9] Imagine the joy? Imagine the glory?

Finally, note the point Paul made earlier in Hebrews 9! “How much more will the blood of Christ who … offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.” [Hebrews 9:14] If we do not sense our progress in that purifying and, as a result, serving, then we have to ask ourselves, ‘Do I genuinely belong to Christ?’
-------
- DC

03 June 2014

Joshua 20; 21
Isaiah 26; 27
Hebrews 10

“PERFECT PEACE”

Our Isaiah and Hebrews readings provide an abundance of thoughts today. Some verses encourage peace of mind, others a sense of awe at what is coming on the world – the judgements our godless world deserves. Chapter 26 in Isaiah is a grouping of quite contrasting revelations from God – verses 3 and 4 are worthy of being memorised.

“You will keep him (her) in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he (she) trusts in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock.” [isaiah 26:3-4] How wonderful to have a mind that is “stayed on” God, the only foundation for “perfect peace” in a world which knows no peace: no peace between nations – yes - but more vital than that – no trust and peace between individuals.

The reign of Jesus returned to the earth will see the time “when your judgements are in the earth, the inhabitants of the earth learn righteousness…” [isaiah 26:9] But at the moment, as in Isaiah’s day, “O LORD your hand is lifted up, but they do not see it.” [isaiah 26:11].

May we “see” the Lord’s hand so that the next verse is true for us, “O LORD, you will ordain peace for us; you have done for us all our works.” [isaiah 26:12] because those works have been done in the strength that God gives to us – and then we will heed the warning given in Isaiah 26:20,21 “… my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the fury has passed by. For behold the LORD is coming out from his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth …”

There are words in our Hebrews reading which dovetail in with these; “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works … encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.” [Hebrews 10:23-25] This is the only way to achieve and maintain “perfect peace.”
-------
- DC

04 June 2014

Joshua 22
Isaiah 28
Hebrews 11

“BY FAITH …”

Today we read the well known 11th chapter of Hebrews, it starts, “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” This is the vital lesson we must take to heart in reading this chapter – that having faith is having a state of mind that must cause us to lead different lives, different priorities – to have different aims. We live our lives in service to our Saviour – accomplishing things in his service. Read the chapter, noticing how often the words “By faith” occur. “By faith Noah …by faith Abraham … by faith Sarah …”

Our faith is not just something we talk about – or listen to others talking about. We read today of many examples of men and women of faith, highlighting in many cases some particular deed that proved the nature of their faith. It is most valuable to look on into the first 2 verses of tomorrow’s chapter., it starts “Therefore” – therefore we should put the chapter break after verse 2 [Hebrews 12:1-2].

“Therefore since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses (all those examples of men and women of faith in Hebrews 11), let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith …”

We must each search our hearts as to how effectively we are living our lives so that he sees that our faith has developed real strength, that we have acquired a real sense of teamwork with our Saviour and our God. That our lives demonstrate that we are “working together with him” [2 Corinthians 6:1]

May we all be able to look back on our lives, on our journey in developing greater and greater faith to see how we have been “made strong out of weakness” [Hebrews 11:34] because we have developed a real “conviction of things not seen” and “we are not of those who shrink back … but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.” [Hebrews 10:39]
-------
- DC

05 June 2014

Joshua 23; 24
Isaiah 29
Hebrews 12

“A BOOK THAT IS SEALED”

How many can read the Bible – as a whole – and really make sense of it, so that it speaks to them in their heart, and stirs them to live their lives really conscious of God and of his Son? This question came to mind as we pondered the message in Isaiah today – parts of it evidently a commentary on the attitudes of many in the prophets’ day, many had failed to develop a real ‘living’ relationship with God.

After recording a vision of what will happen to people at the time when “the multitude of all the nations be that fight against Mount Zion …” This vision “shall be like a dream, a vision in the night” [isaiah 29:8] In verse11 the condemnation is made, “the vision of all this has become to you like the words of a book that is sealed” [isaiah 29:11]. The people are like those who refuse to read “when men give it to one who can read, saying ‘Read this,’ he says, ‘I cannot, for it is sealed.’”

But it is clear that this is an excuse – for a remarkable statement is made in Isaiah 29:13-14 “And the Lord said, ‘Because this people draw near to me with their mouth and honour me with their lips, while their hearts are far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment taught by men …. the wisdom of their wise men shall perish …” It is human wisdom that perishes, they are told they “turn things upside down! Shall the potter be regarded as the clay, that the thing made should say of its maker, ‘He did not make me’” [isaiah 29:16] – today many would add – ‘I just evolved.’

How well these words apply to the human ‘wisdom’ of today – God’s word is “a book that is sealed” . We must remember that there is no middle path – if we do not apply our minds to the true meaning of God’s words then it “is sealed” for us. The day is coming, God’s word says, as we read on in Isaiah 29:19-20, when “the meek shall obtain fresh joy in the LORD and the poor among mankind shall exult in the Holy One of Israel. For the ruthless shall come to nothing and the scoffer cease.” There is no point in being aware of the vision of God’s ultimate action against the nations of the earth if we only “honour” God “with our lips” refusing to apply our minds to unseal his book.
-------
- DC

06 June 2014

Judges 1
Isaiah 30
Hebrews 13

“THE LORD IS MY HELPER”

Once again God’s words through Isaiah attracted our thoughts. There are so many parallels today with the attitudes the LORD was seeking to counteract in Israel in the time of Isaiah. The message the prophet was to convey was, “For thus said the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel, ‘In returning (or repentance, mg) and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.’ But you were unwilling …” [isaiah 30:15]

In Isaiah 30:18 this is repeated with added emphasis, “… the LORD waits to be gracious to you, and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you. For the LORD is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for him.”

We see that the LORD’s words to the people through Isaiah have remarkable parallels in the words of Jesus – remember the invitations to the wedding banquet – and the poor response – see Matthew 22:3 and John’s record of Jesus saying, “the Scriptures … bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me … you do not have the love of God within you.” [John 5:39-41] What would he say to you?

As we read each day – let us make sure we see the “witness” of the Scriptures. There are also some thought parallels in today’s final chapter in Hebrews, “Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, ‘I will never leave you or forsake you.’ So that we can confidently say, the Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?’” [Hebrews 13:5-6] Paul writes of the sacrifices we should make, to be content, to have no love of money. He reminds and stresses, our Lord sacrificed himself “in order to sanctify the people through his own blood” [Hebrews 13:12]

And then Hebrews 13:15 should jump out to attract our thoughts, “Through him then let us continually offer a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name … for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” [Hebrews 13:16] Let us make sure they are pleasing to us – and come genuinely from our hearts – a contrast to the noise and show in the Temple in the days of Isaiah, Jesus and Paul; learning that “in quietness and in trust shall be (y)our strength.”
-------
- DC

07 June 2014

Judges 2; 3
Isaiah 31
James 1

“COUNT IT ALL JOY … WHEN”

The letter of James, after words of greeting in the first verse, then gives some blunt but valuable advice, “Count it all joy, my brothers (and sisters), when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete …”

Count it all joy! James, we conclude, means ‘spiritual joy’ in the heart. Can we not experience this, especially when we look back on a difficult series of events in our lives; should not at least some of the Israelites have felt this as they came to Mt. Sinai – and the disciples as they realized their Lord was alive again? How the hearts of some burned within them. What kind of joy is experienced in these situations?

Then we note what James next states! “and let steadfastness have its full effect that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing” [James 1:4] Perfection!? That is, perfect faith – that sees their life from the Lord’s perspective – and in that way – lacks nothing that matters – especially in an eternal sense. Even the events in the world are seen from this perspective – we know more and more surely that the Lord is in control. especially when we sense the divinely ordained end is near. .

James then says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” [James 1:5] But there is a vital qualification to this asking! We must “ask in faith with no doubting” [James 1:6] A person who doubts, in his approach to God, “must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord.” [James 1:7] Our lives, our minds must have a constant ingredient of genuine faith in them. James stresses that those who do not have this - increasingly have minds that are “driven and tossed” like the sea waves, he (or she) says James “is a double minded man, unstable in all his ways.” [James 1:8]

Our world tempts us, tests us, toward double-mindedness. Let us fix in our minds the outstanding message of James that when we “meet trials of various kinds” we “count it all joy” because we see our lives from God’s perspective. We take comfort from the lessons of the past, the trials of faith that should have strengthened us. In a few days we will read Peter’s first epistle, let us note his words, that we must live “as good stewards of God’s varied grace … as one who serves by the strength that God supplies.” [1 Peter 4:10-11]
-------
- DC

08 June 2014

Judges 4; 5
Isaiah 32
James 2

“A KING WILL REIGN … PRINCES WILL RULE …”

Our chapter [isaiah 32] in Isaiah starts, “Behold a king will reign in righteousness, and princes will rule in justice.” This surely visualises God’s king, the Lord Jesus, at last reigning over the earth. There will also be “princes” reigning who ”will rule with justice.” At last the world will experience true justice. The words of the prophecy imply the “reign” will initially be against a scene in which the world has become “a dry place” and “a weary land” [isaiah 32:2]

The “princes” who “will rule” will provide “a shelter from the storm” that occurs as the world is transformed and comes to accept the fact that there is an all-righteous king reigning. True justice will at last happen, “the fool will no more be called noble, nor the scoundrel said to be honourable.” [isaiah 32:5] Human hearts will no longer be “busy with iniquity to practice ungodliness, to utter error concerning the LORD.” [isaiah 32:6] May we, by the grace of God, be there among the “noble (who) plan noble things…” [isaiah 32:8] The time will then develop “when the effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness quietness and trust forever” [isaiah 32:17]

Jesus told his disciples, “when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.” [Matthew 19:28] In Revelation he said, “The one who conquers and who keeps my works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations” [Revelation 2:26], surely these are the “princes” mentioned in our Isaiah chapter who “will rule with justice” as we read in Isaiah 32:1.

We must make sure we are God’s people now who “hold the faith in Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory” [James 2:1, also today’s reading]. And then in that day, looking at verse18 in our Isaiah chapter, we will be among those of whom God says, “My people will abide in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.” [isaiah 32:18]
-------
- DC

09 June 2014

Judges 6
Isaiah 33
James 3; 4

“FRIENDSHIP WITH THE WORLD …”

The letter of James is full of challenging spiritual statements. Many are applicable to the world which surrounds us. James was writing at the time when Jerusalem was about to be destroyed as his half-brother (our Lord) had warned. The great majority had rejected the divine message, it is evident that, 30+ years after their Lord ascended to heaven the convictions and commitment of believers was in serious decline.

What James writes is also appropriate for the world today and the spirit among many who consider themselves believers, “You ask and do not receive,” he declares, “because you ask wrongly to spend it on your passions…. Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? [James 4:3-4]

What he writes next reminds us of what Paul said to the people of Athens – about the unseen presence of the only real God, encouraging them to “feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, for ‘In him we live and move and have our being’” [Acts 17:27-28] Compare this with what James told believers in Jerusalem about God, “’He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us?’” [James 4:5] The Creator of all things, it is clear, sees and knows all.

In Judges we read about Gideon; in his days the people had largely forgotten their history, especially the faith that Moses and Joshua inspired in them as they started to possess the promised land. The nation was in deep trouble, Gideon had an astonishing encounter with an angel of the LORD and asked him, “if the LORD is with us why has all this happened …” [Judges 6:13] We know the reason, few in our world will know the reason when our world starts to really fall apart.

Finally, what Isaiah writes in todays’ chapter 33 is a sort of prayer, an inspiration that we can and should take to heart, “O LORD , be gracious to us,; we wait for you. Be our arm every morning, our salvation in time of trouble.” [isaiah 33:2] We all need to experience “friendship” How do we find ours? Does it sustain us spiritually? Above all, how real in our divine relationship? Is it “our arm every morning.”?
-------
- DC

10 June 2014

Judges 7; 8
Isaiah 34
James 5

“ESTABLISH YOUR HEARTS”

Today we read the final chapter of James and his warning to the believers in Jerusalem, for some had “laid up treasure in the last days.” [James 5:3] The “last days” facing Jerusalem, James knew, was the destruction that Jesus had foretold, the time when it would be surrounded by armies and “its desolation had come” and the Temple destroyed. [Luke 21:6,20] The immediate “last days” at that time, James knew, was God’s vengeance on the people of Jerusalem for killing his Son ­ they saw their sense of glory as particularly relating to their possession of a most impressible Temple, even Jesus’ disciples boasted of this [Mark 13:1].

However, we perceive that many of the prophesied judgements by Jesus on Jerusalem also apply to God’s judgements on the Gentiles at the time when the Jews have returned and Jerusalem is re-established, a time when all nations, especially those around them are in trouble, read Luke 21:24-28. James’ vision clearly applies to our “last days” as well ­ so we should take his advice to “establish your hearts” [James 5:8] very much to heart.

The chapter starts, “Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted …” This reminds us of what we read last week in Isaiah 24:2,3. Today the “riches” are very largely on paper, computer figures, with some having mountains of debt ­ it all seems ready to collapse, probably starting with Europe.

So many, especially the apparently wealthy, live “in luxury and self-indulgence” [James 5:5] Crime rates are mounting, so how relevant to us are James’ words, “Be patient therefore brothers (and sisters) until the coming of the Lord” [James 5:7] The only true way to “be patient” and to “establish your hearts” is in the meditative reading and, discussion together as much as we can, of the word of God. This is the foundation to remaining steadfast. Verse 11 tells us, “Behold, we consider those blessed who remain steadfast” [James 5:11] Let us make sure we are among the “blessed.”
-------
- DC

11 June 2014

Judges 9
Isaiah 35
1 Peter 1

“EARNESTLY FROM A PURE HEART"

The above words jumped out at us in 1 Peter 1:13. What action? In one sense, each morning we need to prepare our minds for action each day, to make that day count in service before God. Believers through the centuries have encountered times of crisis and a climax in their lives. The Jewish exiles to whom Peter was writing were suffering persecution, probably because of the rebellion of the Jews in Jerusalem against Rome in AD 67-70.

Yet for the truly faithful these were also occasions of deliverance – even if that deliverance should be – being taken out of this life as happened to Stephen, the first martyr [Acts 7:60]. Peter writes of those “who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.” [1 Peter 1:5] “Your faith has saved you” is a phrase in one form or another we often encounter in the New Testament. We sense that this will be particularly true in the final years of human rule on this earth. It is increasingly apparent that we live in those years.

Now note what Peter further writes, “if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials so that the tested genuineness of your faith – more precious than gold … may be found to result in praise and glory and honour at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” [1 Peter 1:6-7]. Peter writes of the time when those with such a faith will “rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith” [1 Peter 1:8-9].

Our Isaiah reading [isaiah 35] has wonderful words about this time when the faithful “come to Zion with singing: everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away” [isaiah 35:10] So let us, start each day, by preparing our minds for action “having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth …” [1 Peter 1:22], an obedience shown by our love for one another “earnestly from a pure heart … through the living and abiding word of God” [1 Peter 1:22] which we must make sure we feed on every day.
-------
- DC

12 June 2014

Judges 10; 11
Isaiah 36
1 Peter 2

“GROW UP TO SALVATION”

Our reading of 1 Peter 2 begins with a list of those things which a true follower of Christ should “put away” – we must do everything we can to get rid of such ways of thinking. Those who have been brought up from childhood should never have possessed them! But were they fully conscious of the potential of these things to ‘invade’ and start to possess their minds? It is vital that our minds are ‘possessed’ by positive attitudes: there is no ‘in between’ position – in God’s eyes.

Jesus once told a parable about this [Matthew 12:43-45]; of one who got rid of an unclean spirit (attitude) and his mind was clean, but he or she neglected to put anything in its place! The end result was this person’s mind was filled with 7 unclean spirits, “and the last state of that person was worse that the first.” A cryptic statement concludes the parable, “so also will it be with this evil generation”!

That final generation of the Jewish nation was largely destroyed when Jerusalem was destroyed, but surely the same is now applying to the last generation of the Gentiles! Our minds are made to be put to use – and this world today with all its abundant methods of communication is ready at every twist and turn to penetrate our minds with useless thoughts, or, worse still, with godless fleshly thoughts.

With this in mind we specially note Peter’s advice that in coming to Christ we are “newborn infants” and that our attitude then is to “long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it, you may grow up to salvation” [1 Peter 2:2] so that you are “in the sight of God, chosen and precious,” [1 Peter 2:4], and you recognise yourselves to be “living stones” that are “being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood” [1 Peter 2:5]

The final stage is to realize we are “a holy nation, a people for his own possession” [1 Peter 2:9]. Peter goes on to tell them they are “sojourners and exiles” and not citizens of the world and as such must “abstain from the passions of the flesh which wage war against your soul” [1 Peter 2:11]. The evil spirits are ever ready to gain entry again if we give them a chance, so it is vital we fill the house of our mind with positive spiritual things every day.

Maybe some, before they commit themselves to Christ, think they can indulge in a little of the things of the world. This can be fatal, it will leave a stain on their minds which only a total heartfelt mood of conversion can overcome, such as those who have had no spiritual upbringing experience as they, with really great joy, see the wondrous light God offers and “grow up to salvation.”
-------
- DC

13 June 2014

Judges 12; 13
Isaiah 37
1 Peter 3; 4; 5

“SENT TO MOCK THE LIVING GOD”

As we read of King Hezekiah’s desperate prayer because of the invading and mocking hordes of the Assyrians, it occurred to us that there are today some modern equivalents. The Assyrian armies had been boasting of their conquests, as we read yesterday in Isaiah 36 – they were sure that Jerusalem would suffer a similar fate. Deserters must have joined them, for the Assyrians are aware that Hezekiah had removed “the high places” [isaiah 36:7] at which many of the people liked to worship instead of coming to the Temple. The Assyrian king makes false claims about what the God of Israel is supposed to have said [isaiah 36:10].

There are parallels to this today in the beliefs of those who read into the Bible things it does not say and who criticise those who remain faithful to what God has caused to be written. In today’s chapter [isaiah 37], we read how the plight of Jerusalem gets worse. This causes Hezekiah to come to see Isaiah [isaiah 37:5] and we read of the reassurance the prophet gives the king. In the same way today, and more so in the days that are coming, we will turn to God’s prophets and to the reassurance of the words of his Son and the Apostles.

Hezekiah receives a letter from the Assyrians [isaiah 37:14] and takes it into the Temple and there prays …. “O LORD of Hosts … you are the God, you alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth. Incline your ear O LORD, and see, and hear all the words of Sennacherib which he has sent to mock the living God.” [isaiah 37:17-18]

God does hear, he does see, he does act. We are about to see a parallel in our days. Atheists are becoming more blatant and more public in mocking believers and belief in God. The man Dawkins is one of the worst; many are getting bolder in mocking God and Christianity. There is much, of course, to be ashamed of in the behaviour of some who claim the name of Christ, such as many Catholic Priests. Let us pray for God to act in dealing with these mockers. All those who mock or ignore the living God and the Saviour he sent into the world – will really fear when his judgements begin. We read Peter’s message on this today, “The end of all things is at hand: therefore be self-controlled and sober minded … as one who serves by the strength that God supplies…” [1 Peter 4:7,11] Let us seek as much of this strength that we can – and we know the source!.
-------
- DC

14 June 2014

Judges 14; 15
Isaiah 38
2 Peter 1; 2

“FOR IF GOD DID NOT SPARE …”

Peter’s 2nd Epistle, of which we read the first 2 chapters, is extremely challenging because it relates in several ways to the excessively ungodly atmosphere in which we live. But first, we were fascinated by lessons in our O T readings. Samson upset his parents because he “saw one of the daughters of the Philistines” and said to them” get her for me as my wife.” His parents objected, but he insisted; then comes the comment, “His father and mother did not know it was from the LORD, for he was seeking an opportunity against the Philistines” [Judges 14:1-4]

We perceive from this that God does not overrule human freewill; what he does is to weave it into his ongoing purpose in his oversight of human affairs especially those of his chosen people. We perceive the same principle in the life of Hezekiah that Isaiah writes about [isaiah 38]. The LORD told him to “set your house in order, for you shall die … Hezekiah wept bitterly” [isaiah 38:1-2] and the LORD heeded his prayers, but the son that succeeded him, born during the 15 years added to his life, was a disaster, but the nation had not appreciated the blessings of Hezekiah’s reign and the deliverance we read about yesterday, they ‘deserved’ a bad king..

In 2nd Peter we see that those in special service before God can, on occasion, be described as “angels” In Matthew 11:10, John the Baptist is described as a “messenger” but in Gk the word is ‘aggelos’. This word is used by Peter [2 Peter 2:4] saying “for if God did not spare the angels that sinned” referring, we conclude to some of the Levites who had the privilege of serving in the Tabernacle, see Numbers 16. Also in Hebrews 2:2, “the message declared by angels (‘aggelos’)” is most likely a way of describing human prophets such as Isaiah, who declared God’s message.

Peter contrasts the judgement on “the angels that sinned” with the deliverance of Noah and Lot because of their righteousness [2 Peter 2:5-8] He then makes the point that there will be no sparing by God of believers who become sinful in Peter’s day. “There will be false teachers among you … and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed” [2 Peter 2:1-2] Peter is very blunt about those who “have hearts trained in greed … forsaking the right way.” [2 Peter 2:14-15] Let us hold fast to the right way – so that God will spare us from his judgements that will surely come on this godless world (see chapter 3) Let us live “lives of holiness and godliness” [2 Peter 3:11]
-------
- DC

15 June 2014

Judges 16
Isaiah 39
2 Peter 3

“NEW HEAVENS AND A NEW EARTH”

Today we read the final chapter of Peter’s final message before he died. He was martyred, as Jesus said he would be [John 21:18-19] but where is not known. Catholic’s claim it happened in Rome, but there is no real evidence he ever went there, it was a story the church invented much later. St. Peters Church in Rome only began to be built in AD 320. It is much more likely that Peter died in Jerusalem.

Peter’s final verses are written to warn believers about scoffers and the chaos of “the last days.” His words about the last days were very apt as a warning about the fate that Jerusalem was to suffer. That was their first application, and the zealot Jews defending the city were scoffing about the promise of his return; 40 years had passed, only the elderly would remember Jesus in person.

Now note what Peter is inspired to write! “Do not overlook this fact beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day” [2 Peter 3:8], surely a reference to Psalm 90:4. Peter wrote that scoffers would ridicule those who believed in Christ’s return, saying, “Where is the promise of his coming?” This is followed by the prediction that at that time people will be saying, “all things are continuing as they were from the beginning” [2 Peter 3:4] We see this as a reference to the belief in evolution, that there is no Creator – noting the Psalms also speak of those who say “there is no God” [Psalms 14:1; 53:1].

Peter says that people will “deliberately overlook” [2 Peter 3:5] the fact of the destruction God brought about in Noah’s time. Just as God acted to punish ungodliness then, he will do so again. Do we understand verse10? “But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved …” 2 Peter 3:10 to be followed by a “new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells” [2 Peter 3:13]

As we have seen in Isaiah, reference to “heavens” can symbolises rulers, those whom people look up to! All human governments are going to panic and fail. “But according to his promise we are waiting for the new heavens” [2 Peter 3:13]. “Beloved, since you are waiting for these”, writes Peter, “be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace.” [2 Peter 3:14] Let us believe his promise, it is the only hope, but it is a sure hope, for our godless world.
-------
- DC

16 June 2014

Judges 17; 18
Isaiah 40
1 John 1; 2

“MOUNT UP WITH WINGS LIKE EAGLES”

It is being said that this is a world for young people: meaning that the young people are growing up in a much different world and are being trained to cope with and make use of all the technological wonders of the 21st Century. Never before has the world changed so much in one generation. But most young people are living for the here and now. The attitude of most is - what experience is it possible to have this month, this year – and maybe, next year?

We read in the book of Judges today of those living with the thought of what they could achieve now when “everyone did what was right in their own eyes.” [Judges 17:6] with the spirit that might was right as illustrated in Judges 18:21-26.

The reading in Isaiah 40 was such a contrast! But there was one part that wasn’t, Isaiah 40:6-8, where we read, “All flesh is grass and all its beauty is like the flower of the field, The grass withers, the flower fades when the breath of the LORD blows on it; surely the people are grass.” Then in Isaiah 40:30 are words which particularly caught our eyes, “even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted” Why is this? Because their “way is hidden from the LORD”, they do not want to live in the sight of God, many are not even sure there is a God! Some do not want to believe he exists!!

But the wonderfully positive things that are written in this chapter arrested our attention – that God “gives power to the faint and to him who has no might he increases strength … they that wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint” [isaiah 40:29,31]

When will this happen? Isaiah 40:10-11 tell us, “Behold, the Lord GOD comes with might, and his arm (Jesus) rules for him; and his recompense is before him. He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; and carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those who are with young.” In one sense we are all young in the sight of God so we finish our thoughts with an apt quote from today’s N.T. reading, “little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming.” [1 John 2:28]
-------
- DC

17 June 2014

Judges 19
Isaiah 41
1 John 3; 4

“THERE IS NO FEAR IN LOVE”

The letters of John, in his old age, “the disciple whom Jesus loved” [John 21:7,20] are fruitful of a range of heart-warming meditations. John writes, “… let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God” [1 John 4:7]

What is it to “know” God? It is to have a true ongoing spiritual relationship with him, it is a “spiritual marriage” through fully loving and developing a ‘knowing’ relationship with his Son. A true intellectual understanding is the essential foundation for this – but it is only the foundation: we must ‘build upon’ that foundation, having made sure it is not a faulty foundation. Jesus is our “mediator” – he is not God, in a very real sense he represents God [John 14:8-10], remember Paul’s words to Timothy [1 Timothy 2:5].

John then makes another vital point, “anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him.” [1 John 4:8-9] God initiated the true spirit of love – but today ‘love’ is a much misused word.

“In Christ, God was reconciling the world unto himself,” Paul told the Corinthians [2 Corinthians 5:19]. Late in the 1st Century this ‘reconciling’ was already being distorted. John, in his old age, wrote to warn them that “many false prophets have gone out …” [1 John 4:1] and succeeding centuries saw the situation go from bad to worse. What a blessing it was when God’s word could be printed and made widely available, now we each can read and get the full sense of what God inspired the disciples, the prophets and others to write. The onus is on us to read it – and allow the words to ‘live’ in our minds and influence all our thoughts.

Our Judges chapter contained a terrible example of a world without the influence of God – and today’s world is just that. This world will soon, maybe very soon, face God’s judgements. Let us all “abide in love … there is no fear in love, for perfect love casts out fear.” [1 John 4:16,18]. So as this world really experiences God’s judgements, we will have “no fear”! This is a most challenging concept! Recall what we read in Peter last week, “Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good? But even if you should suffer for righteousness sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled.” [1 Peter 3:13-14]
-------
- DC

18 June 2014

Judges 20
Isaiah 42
1 John 5

“EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES …”

Everyone believes in something. Many believe that they are part of the highest form of animal life – and that this life is all there is for them and so they live to make the most of it. Our chapter [5] in John’s letter today begins, “Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him.” [1 John 5:1] Here is a word picture of a precious fellowship of believers bound together in love.

Our thoughts go to Jesus’ conversation with Nicodemus that John recorded in his gospel; remember what Nicodemus was told? “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter the Kingdom of God.” [John 3:5] “Born of water” refers to baptism – to put on the name of Christ. That physical act must be accompanied by a rebirth of the mind, anew way of thinking; Paul spelt it out plainly in writing to the Ephesians, “… be renewed in the spirit of your minds… put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.” [Ephesians 4:23-24]

In his Epistle John goes on to say, “this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome” [1 John 5:3] as had been the laws and rituals in keeping the laws through Moses.

1 John 5:4 challenges us! “For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world – our faith.” True faith flows out from a heart that is full of the “conviction of things not seen” [Hebrews 11:1] John writes, sure that his readers have this conviction of faith and says he “writes these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.” [1 John 5:13]

That is a challenging concept of thought! “Death” becomes in a sense non-existent, as this life is completed we move into God’s time, which is time-less, it is like “the twinkling of an eye” death “has “no sting” [1 Corinthians 15:52,55] May we all be treading with ever surer steps on the narrow way because we have been truly “born of God” and “God protects him and the evil does not touch him” [1 John 5:18]. Furthermore, “we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ” [1 John 5:20] for we truly have “been born of God.” [1 John 5:1]
-------
- DC

19 June 2014

Judges 21
Isaiah 43
2 John 1; 3 John 1

“FOR MY OWN SAKE”

We have another thought provoking chapter in Isaiah today. The lessons of God’s dealings with Israel because of their unfaithfulness in the days of the prophet have their lessons for us. Through the prophet God tells the people, “you have burdened me with your sins, you have wearied me with your iniquities” [isaiah 43:24]

Then the next verse jumps out at us! ”I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake and I will not remember your sins.” [isaiah 43:25] The people have been told “‘you are my witnesses,’ declares the LORD, ‘and I am God. Also, henceforth I am he; there is none who can deliver from my hand; I work, and who can turn it back?’” [isaiah 43:12-13] And so the continued existence of the people in the work of God. Although scattered, their miraculous rebirth as a nation and ‘strong’ existence over the last 70 years is one of the main witnesses to us of God’s purpose, and that these are indeed “the last days.”

It is folly for any so-called ‘christian’ movement to call themselves God’s ‘witnesses.’ But we can be sure of this, the other ‘witness’ to the works and wisdom of God, apart from his chosen nation, is his word – and those who carefully and thoughtfully read it – discover more and more how it comes ‘alive’ in their minds as the years pass.

We read the final 2 short letters of John, penned it is believed in his old age when false teachings were beginning to emerge, he makes points that are very appropriate to our days. His final letter is written; “To the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth “ He tells him [3 John 3-4] how “I rejoiced greatly” when I heard “you are walking in the truth,” adding, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.”

God’s word unfolds his purposes before us in a way that invites our diligent reading – leading us to the real truth of what we should understand and believe – and the Lord’s mercy to sinners - and then to live and to walk with the conviction in our hearts – of that belief. How challenging to us are Paul’s words about “the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for his sake I have suffered the loss of all things … in order than I may gain Christ.” [Philippians 3:8] What are we doing to “gain Christ” – even if it means suffering loss?
-------
- DC

20 June 2014

Ruth 1; 2
Isaiah 44
Jude 1

“WHO PERVERT THE GRACE OF OUR GOD”

The 25 verse epistle of Jude, the “brother of James” [Jude 1] and therefore understood to be another son of Mary and Joseph, is extremely interesting and challenging. Jude is very succinct, first drawing lessons from the failures in the nations’ history [Jude 5-7] and then condemning the false ways that are developing among the believers.

We are fascinated by the parabolic language used from Jude 12 on. Jude does not write a complete parable as such, but uses words and phrases to describe the serious attitudes and behaviour that was developing among believers. We read, “these are blemishes on your love feasts, as they feast with you without fear, looking after themselves, waterless clouds, swept along by the winds, fruitless trees in late autumn, twice dead, uprooted; wild waves of the sea, casting up the foam of their own shame; wandering stars, for whom the gloom of utter darkness has been reserved forever.”

This is a tragic testimony to human nature, but history testifies to its truth at several stages of history, such as the development to establish the dictatorial church at Rome and its rituals – and then again – after the inspiring flood of renewed faith in the Middle Ages that began with the work of Wickliffe and Tyndale and the printing of the Bible! But that was followed by a renewal of those “who pervert the grace of God into sensuality …” [Jude 4] And so today there is a lot of talk (and written material) about “grace” – but little or no substance about what God’s word says is to be believed.

Jude builds up his message to include words that clearly apply to our generation, referring to the letters of the Apostles that “in the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions…” [Jude18] Others can talk about “grace”, perverting the wonder of it - as though believers have the benefit of grace whatever they do! But the message for us now, especially in Jude 20,21 is, “But you beloved build yourself up in your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit (holiness of spirit); keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life.”
-------
- DC

21 June 2014

Ruth 3; 4
Isaiah 45
Revelation 1; 2

“WHAT ARE YOU MAKING?”

First, we read today of the climax to the life of Naomi and her Moabite daughter-in-law Ruth, an example of how tragedy can turn out, in the end, to be a blessing and become one of the building blocks, as it were, as part of God’s overall plan and purpose – and so Ruth became the great grandmother of David. God oversees human life and, “for those who love God all things work together for good” [Romans 8:28]; essentially this is for the good of his purpose.

In our Isaiah reading we see how the Almighty stresses he is the originator of all that exists – and has an ultimate purpose in view. “I am the LORD and there is no other. I form the light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity. I am the LORD who does all these things.” [isaiah 45:6-7] We also noted that he says, “it was my hands that stretched out the heavens” [isaiah 45:12] and nearly all scientists are now agreed that everything spread out, apparently to infinity, from a big bang! But most think it was by ‘chance’!

We noted in particular Isaiah 45:15, “Truly you are a God who hides yourself” We have to apply our minds to realize there must be a Creator, an utterly incredible designer. The efforts over the last 150 years to prove beyond doubt that Darwinian evolution is true – have ended in dismal failure – although not all are honest enough to admit this – but a surprising number are.

The question in Isaiah 45:9 is so interesting, so appropriate for God to ask – “Woe to him (or her) who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’ or ‘Your work has no handles’? “ We know that God’s work has “handles” - we mentally grasp them the more diligently we read the Bible! How good is your grasp? We all need to work at getting a really firm grip on the true meaning of life – and then to feel inspired by our heart-felt awareness of what God is making – and the utterly awesome wonders to come when his work is complete, described to us, largely in symbolic language, as we read on in the book of Revelation.
-------
- DC

22 June 2014

1 Samuel 1
Isaiah 46; 47
Revelation 3; 4

“YOU HAVE THE REPUTATION OF …”

The messages that were sent to the 7 different communities of believers detailed in Chapters 2 and 3 of Revelation are remarkable. We conclude that these are representative of the various types of communities of believers that have existed ever since that era.

One particular message caught our attention today, the words that were written to Sardis [Revelation 3:1]. You “have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead” – what a message! But, the message also includes, “you still have a few names in Sardis, people who have not soiled their garments (of righteousness), and they will walk with me in white, for they are worthy.” [Revelation 3:5]. Of such, Jesus says, “I will confess his name before my father” [Revelation 3:5].

What will Jesus “confess”? What is a “name”? We recall the promise God made to King David, “I will make for you a great name, like the names of the great ones of the earth” [2 Samuel 7:9]. This is “name” in the sense of reputation or fame, as many modern versions translate it. Quite a number of Scriptures tell us how God made a name for himself, we will soon read an example of this in Isaiah – Isaiah 63:12,14.

In the light of these examples we conclude that when Jesus says of those few in Sardis that he will “confess” their “name before my father” - he means he will confess the reputation that such have made for themselves. We meditate and imagine it will be names or reputations such as “patient endurance” [Revelation 2:2] “not grown weary” [Revelation 2:3] “hold fast” [Revelation 2:25] and many other particular qualities of a Christ-like character. Such, says Jesus, I will make a pillar in the temple of my God” [Revelation 3:12,21] adding, “… and I will write on him the name of my God … and my own new name…. I will grant him to sit with me on my throne.”

May we all, in true humility, so live that we make a worthy reputation for ourselves in the sight of our Saviour that he will lovingly confess before his Father when he returns to this earth. At that time with what overwhelming emotion will we join in the proclamation we read of this morning, “’Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!’” [Revelation 4:8]
-------
- DC

23 June 2014

1 Samuel 2
Isaiah 48
Revelation 5; 6

“THEN SUDDENLY … ”

Our readings today are particularly interesting. Yesterday, our first reading, 1 Samuel 1, sees the birth of Samuel. We have read of the ups and downs of the era of the Judges – but now come to Samuel as the final all wise Judge, a type of Christ, that God works through to lay the foundation for the era of the Kings beginning with Saul and David.

Isaiah’s prophecies are bringing us toward the end of the era of the Kings, the LORD is frustrated with the attitudes of his people – as he must be with the ‘christian’ world today. Today’s chapter [isaiah 48] starts, “Hear this, O house of Jacob who are called by the name of Israel … who swear by the name of the LORD … but not in truth and right”. God tells the prophet of “things I declared of old … then suddenly I did them and they came to pass” [isaiah 48:3]

We think of the initial promises to Abraham, the deliverance from Egypt, the initial fulfilment of the promises to David – we will read in 1 Samuel in coming weeks; but this week in Isaiah we will read the detailed prophecies God gave him about the Messiah. Although the Jewish scribes must have known these, they had ‘tunnel vision’ as to what they expected the Messiah to do, the message of the explicit prophecy in Isaiah 53 was ‘lost’ because of the pre-conceived notions in their minds. Is there a lesson in this for us? Have we pre-conceived notions?

Our readings in Revelation complete the dramas in today’s chapters. While often in symbolic language, they frequently included phrases, even sentences from Isaiah and other prophets, compare for example, today’s Revelation 6:15-16 with Isaiah 2:10,19, of events when “the great day of their wrath has come.”

Revelation is not all symbolic language, especially of how the time of God’s wrath is followed by a “new song”. “Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honour and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created …. You ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation” [Revelation 4:11; 5:9]

What a wonderful vision. But first it is vital we acknowledge that our world today is in near total spiritual darkness – “then suddenly” God will act. The increasing turmoil in all the nations surrounding God’s ‘Holy Land’ is ominous! The last verse of our Revelation reading asks us a question “who can stand?” in “the great day of their wrath”? Are you effectively building up your faith – so you can? Read and reflect on God’s word every day.
-------
- DC

24 June 2014

1 Samuel 3
Isaiah 49
Revelation 7; 8; 9

“IN A TIME OF FAVOUR”

Our first reading is the heart stirring account of young Samuel in the Temple/tabernacle at Shiloh and the LORD calling him, “Samuel, Samuel” – and the message he received about the failure of Eli to discipline his sons. The ungodliness of their behaviour in appearing to serve the LORD makes sad reading – but it has had its parallels in every generation – especially today.

In contrast, the vision Isaiah records is fascinating, “Thus says the LORD, the redeemer of Israel …. In a time of favour I have answered you, in a day of salvation I have helped you … to establish the land” [isaiah 49:7-8] We recall what we read 2 days ago, “I am God … declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done … I will accomplish all my purpose” [isaiah 46:9-10]. The Jews over the centuries have often felt abandoned, but how significant are Isaiah 49:13-15 in today’s chapter! “… the LORD … will have compassion on his afflicted … But Zion said, ‘The LORD has forsaken me; my Lord has forgotten me.’ Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion … Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you.”

As we reflect on the events of the 60 – 70 years ago – and since – we see how remarkable are Isaiah 49:23, 25 “… those who wait for me shall not be put to shame … for I will contend with those who contend with you, and I will save your children.” We have seen this happen in our youth, the nations surrounding the new born nation of Israel contended with her in vain, the “time of favour” had begun.

Our chapters in Revelation are awesome in many ways, especially in the angels of God being “told … to harm …only those people who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads,” [Revelation 9:4] What does the “seal” symbolise? Ownership! John, in his gospel, recorded Jesus as saying, “Do not labour for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life … on him (or her) God the Father has set his seal.” [John 6:27]

May we all increasingly live with minds saturated with godly thoughts – and then resultant actions – that show we are committed to God and His Son – and will therefore experience the wonder of the ultimate “time of favour.”
-------
- DC

25 June 2014

1 Samuel 4
Isaiah 50
Revelation 10; 11

“THE NATIONS RAGED, BUT …”

We wrestle over understanding some of the symbolic language in the book of Revelation – but then come to clear and dramatic statements of the divine intentions for the future. Revelation 11 which we read today is a particularly outstanding example; the vision of 24 elders “who fell on their faces and worshipping God saying, ‘We give thanks to you Lord God Almighty, who is and who was, for you have taken your great power and begun to reign. The nations raged, but your wrath came, and the time for the dead to be judged, and for rewarding your servants, the prophets and saints, and those who fear your name, both small and great, and for destroying the destroyers of the earth.” [Revelation 11:16-18] Note how the “small” are mentioned first.

Let us “give thanks” that the all seeing all knowing Creator of all things is exercising the ultimate control and destiny of all things. However, he allows human beings to exercise their freewill – foreseeing what that will lead to – both short and long term – before it is time – his time – to exercise his “great power.”

In our Isaiah reading chapter [isaiah 50] there are appropriate personal words of encouragement to put alongside this vision in Revelation. “The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him who is weary. Morning by morning he awakens; he awakens my ear to hear as those who are taught” [isaiah 50:4] Let us awaken each morning with words (resulting in our subsequent thoughts) from the word of God.

Finally, Isaiah 50:10 has a question for us to answer; “Who among you fears the LORD and obeys the voice of his servant? (Isaiah 52:13-14 makes it clear “my servant” is Jesus) Back to Isaiah 50:10, “Let him who walks in darkness and has no light trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God.” Our world is full of darkness, so we absolutely must do this.
-------
- DC