TFTBR - May 2013

Resource Manager

26 May 2013

Joshua 12
Isaiah 16
2 Timothy 2

"IF … WE WILL ALSO LIVE WITH HIM"

Among the believers in the First Century there was in circulation what are called the ‘sayings of the faithful’. There was no opportunity for the great majority to learn to read and write so certain sayings were memorized. Some persons with exceptional abilities of memory are said to have memorized all the Psalms. Mission workers have been surprised when meeting some so called ‘illiterate’ people in India to find how fully they have trained their memory.

Paul includes one of the ‘sayings’ that was in circulation among the believers in the chapter we read today. First he writes, “I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory” [2 Timothy 2:10] and then quotes this saying: the first part being, “If we have died with him, we will also live with him.”

We die with him when we are baptised. Going down under the water and then coming out again is a symbol of his death and resurrection – we are acknowledging that his death was for us. The saying then stresses the need to “endure” – it surely reflects the words of Jesus, “the one who endures to the end will be saved.” [Matthew 10:22] The actual saying Paul is quoting is - “if we endure we will also reign with him”.

Wonderful – beyond our imagining! But the saying concludes with the negative picture of those who fail. “if we deny him, he will also deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful – for he cannot deny himself” [2 Timothy 2:12-13] When Jesus had cause to say to his hearers, “O you of little faith” [Matthew 6:30] he nevertheless did not give up – wonderfully countless thousands have been prepared to die with him after he had died for them.

It is sad that as Paul completes this epistle he needs to mention one who he had earlier named as a “fellow labourer” [Philemon 1:24] but now he has to write of him, “for Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me …” [2 Timothy 4:10]. What is there in the world today to “love”? !

May all those who read these lines, “die” with Christ in baptism - and then “endure”, helped by their daily reading and meditation on the divine word - and their fellowship together - which plays an essential role in aiding us to endure to the end so that we “will also live with him.”
-------
- DC

27 May 2013

Joshua 13;
Isaiah 17; 18
2 Timothy 3; 4

"DAMASCUS WILL CEASE TO BE A CITY"

Several prophecies in Isaiah attracted our attention as we read our 2 chapters in Isaiah today [isaiah 17; 18]. Damascus was the capital of Syria in those days – and still is today. We recall reading in the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE that Damascus is the oldest most continuously inhabited city in the world and there is no evidence that it was ever destroyed like other cities.

But Isaiah is caused by God to write, “An oracle concerning Damascus. Behold, Damascus will cease to be a city and will become a heap of ruins” [isaiah 17:1] We conclude that the fulfilment of this prophecy is likely to coincide with the climax of the ages, which, the way events are moving, may not be that far distant!

In reading parts of Isaiah we saw that some of the chapters should be broken into small sections. The division into chapters was only made when the Bible was first printed. As you read you can see where the different revelations the prophet received suddenly change. Often we have the phrase, “In that day” to indicate some distinct events to occur at a particular time. Isaiah 17:9 starts with “in that day” and from there to the end of the chapter is described “a day” (meaning ‘time’) when the enemies of Israel are judged. We read, “this is the portion of those who loot us, and the lot of those who plunder us.” [isaiah 17:14] and while it had an application in the past, it surely it refers to a final event when Damascus becomes “a heap of ruins.”

Isaiah 17:3 is about a time in the future when “the remnant of Syria will be like the glory of the children of Israel, declares the LORD of hosts.” Syria is linked with Assyria and tomorrow’s chapter (Isaiah 19) ends with a intriguing picture (in Isaiah 19:23) of a highway to be built “in that day” – the final verses telling us, “In that day Israel will be the third with Egypt and Assyria, a blessing in the midst of the earth, whom the LORD of hosts has blessed, saying, ‘Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel my inheritance”

This is the time of the resurrection when the faithful of all nations will be there – for surely over the millennia there have been many in Egypt and Assyria (which includes Babylon) who have known and served the true God. Let us commit our lives to God so that we will also be there.
-------
- DC

28 May 2013

Joshua 14
Isaiah 19
Titus 1; 2; 3

“TRAINING US TO RENOUNCE UNGODLINESS”

We are surrounded by ungodliness to a far greater degree than experienced by any previous generation – at least in the western world. We can say we “renounce ungodliness”, but putting what we say into action is getting more difficult: it means we must concentrate our minds on godly thoughts at every opportunity.

The 46 verses of Paul’s letter to Titus is an ideal source for mental fortification; we should not just read it, but we should also meditate on it. Titus is in Crete [Titus 1:5] to work for the Lord. The contrast between those who really believe – and those who give the appearance of believing is a problem in Crete - the parallels with the problems that challenge us today is increasingly apparent.

Paul says, “a prophet of their own said, ‘Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.’ This testimony is true.” [Titus 1:12-13] Titus is told to “rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith … to the defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled.. They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable …” [Titus 1:15-16] Sadly, Christianity in general is sliding toward doing this! How much is this influencing us?

Titus is to set the example “Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.” [Titus 2:7-8]

This leads Paul to make the point, “For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope …” [Titus 2:11-13]

Our sense of urgency in waiting for our hope to be fulfilled grows ever greater – a sense the younger generation can only partly appreciate – life today is so interesting! We stress it is “the grace of God” that provides the message of salvation and meaning for our existence. Let us appreciate that grace to the full - for we cannot ‘earn’ a place in God’s kingdom so as to deserve it – but, writes Paul, “being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” [Titus 3:7] How is your “training” progressing?
-------
- DC

29 May 2013

Joshua 15
Isaiah 20; 21
Philemon 1

“I PRAY THAT …”

What do you pray for? Prayer is personal, it is intimate! It certainly was for the Apostle Paul, he lays bare his heart in many of his letters so that we fully see the central focus of his mind. He describes himself as a “prisoner” [Philemon 1:23] as he writes his short letter to Philemon. This was primarily about Onesimus, a slave who had belonged to Philemon. He had escaped, but had now become a believer.

Paul tells Philemon, “I thank my God always when I remember you in my prayers.” And what is he remembering? Paul explains, “because I hear of your love and faith that you have toward the Lord Jesus and all the saints, and I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective ….” [Philemon 1:5-6] Paul has “much joy” in learning of the spiritual attitude Philemon had developed since Paul had converted him. He writes, “For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed by you.” [Philemon 1:7] It is “hearts’ that most need refreshing!

Paul is anticipating a positive response from Philemon because his escaped slave had now become a believer; he says, “Yes brother, I want some benefit from you in the Lord. Refresh my heart in Christ” [Philemon 1:20] Do we refresh the hearts of one another by seeking benefits from one another? This is the “fruit” that arises from genuine fellowship.

Although he is a prisoner Paul says, “I am hoping that through your prayers, I will be graciously given to you” [Philemon 1:22] So, we ask ourselves again, ‘What do you pray for?

Paul’s prayers were far from being self-centred. Let us pray “that the sharing of (y)our faith may become effective” – to greater and greater degrees. It is a personal question – isn’t it – how good am I at sharing my faith? That is a somewhat different question to – how long is it since I told someone what the Bible really means.

Sharing one’s faith is intensely personal, it aims at a ‘heart to heart’ communication.. We must make doing this a matter of prayer – prayer that reflects the intensity of our thoughts and attitude to the meaning and purpose of life and the reality of our relationship with the unseen.
-------
- DC

30 May 2013

Joshua 16
Isaiah 22
Hebrews 1; 2

“MADE LIKE HIS BROTHERS”

Today we start reading the Epistle to the Hebrews: primarily it is a careful analysis and explanation of God’s purpose in using his Son to reconcile the peoples of the world to himself – but only those who recognize this will be part of this reconciliation. This recognition requires faith and understanding, an essential part of this is our recognition of God at work in the world and in our lives. God’s word, written and wonderfully preserved, is a vital part of our ability to understand God at work, both in the past and now – in both the big things and the small.

Many things are beyond our full understanding; the work of the angels is one. Hebrews 1 compares the role of the angels with the role of Christ. In his mortal life the angels ministered to him on occasions (eg Matthew 4:11; Mark 1:13; Luke 22:43). But, today’s chapter tells us that Jesus, “Having become as much superior to angels, as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs” [Hebrews 1:4] and that because he “loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God has anointed you …” [Hebrews 1:9] The overall supremacy of God is made clear, he “anointed” Jesus as King of the world. Jesus bewildered Pilate by telling him this – but his kingdom if of the world to come – and how close are we to that kingdom!.

We read how the angels of God still have a vital role. Chapter 1 ends by making this point – “Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?” [Hebrews 1:14] How wonderful – and the great climax will be when “the angels gather his elect … from the ends of the earth …” [Mark 13:27]

A key point that is made in today’s 2 chapters was the need for Jesus to first live on earth as one of us, a fellow human being. “He had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.” [Hebrews 2:17-18]. As a result “the founder of (our) salvation was made perfect through suffering” [Hebrews 2:10] The word “perfect” has the sense of ‘finished/fulfilled’ as the Gk. word is translated in John 17:4; 19:28.

How wonderful, Jesus is there to help, to sustain us, in our temptations, but we must look to him.. He witnessed the weaknesses of human nature in his disciples as well as in himself. But the angels are now under his control [Revelation 1:1] and as quoted in Hebrews 1:6, “all God’s angels worship him.”

Jesus, “by the grace of God (tasted) death for every one” [Hebrews 2:9] We read he destroyed the devil, that is sin, “the one who has the power of death” [Hebrews 2:14]. Being initially “made like his brothers” he is now able to make them like him “equal to angels” and “sons of God!” See Luke 20:35-36. Are you seriously looking for him to do that for you?
-------
- DC

31 May 2013

Joshua 17
Isaiah 23
Hebrews 3; 4; 5

"THE MESSAGE ... DID NOT BENEFIT THEM"

We continue reading the challenging chapters of the letter to the Hebrews. It was obviously written in the final years the Temple existed in Jerusalem before it was destroyed in AD70. Those who made the Temple and the Mosaic Law a highly important part of their lives and expectations, although accepting Jesus as their Messiah, were going to be devastated when the Temple was destroyed.

Paul, whom it is generally agreed wrote Hebrews, is making a most urgent appeal to these believers to realize that although “Moses was faithful in all God’s house as a servant” this was “to testify to the things that were to be spoken later” [Hebrews 3:5] by God’s son. Moses was God’s “servant” – “but Christ is faithful over God’s house as a son.” [Hebrews 3:6] The Law was “the house” Moses created, it had now been superseded by the work of Christ in creating a spiritual house “not made with hands” [2 Corinthians 5:1] that could not be destroyed.

“And we are his house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting (rejoicing –AV) in our hope” [Hebrews 3:6] Note that word “if” and that Psalm 95 is quoted twice, [Hebrews 3:7; 4:5] “Today, IF you will hear his voice”

Today – in 2013 – let us “hold fast” to what we hear – and read. If we are not really listening and taking the message into our hearts and acting on it – then the message is no benefit to us. We noted verses 2 and 4 in chapter 4, “For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.” [Hebrews 4:2,4]

Could this be true of us also? Are you united with others in the original faith? Note how the word “if” occurs in Hebrews 3:13-14; “But exhort one another every day as long as it is called ‘today’ that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end.” May “the message … benefit” us as “every day” we seek exhortations as we read God’s word.
-------
- DC