TFTBR - May 2013

Resource Manager

01 May 2013

Deuteronomy 18
Ecclesiastes 10
Acts 9

"BEHOLD HE IS PRAYING"

How full of zeal Paul was - as a result of his human perceptions of what really mattered in life – a zeal which had two sides! One was self exaltation and the praise of his fellow men who agreed with his cause – the other side – was to destroy this movement which was threatening the authority of the powerful Jewish Priesthood.

Paul was an exceptional example of human nature which sees situations in clear black and white! And yet it was such a personality as his that God could use for the needs of this special era. The same as Moses was a special personality called to serve God in the creation of his nation – and we are currently reading his final and powerful message to Israel in Deuteronomy.

Paul’s life – all he thought he stood for – was turned upside down. Our chapter today [Acts 9] tells us of him being led blind into Damascus; what intensity of thought occupied his mind!

The voice that came as he fell blind to the ground said, “I am Jesus whom you are persecuting” [Acts 9:5] We ourselves should meditate on the significance of those words! Jesus was “in” every believer Paul was persecuting. Paul learnt this and states this in various ways, again and again in his letters:” “God has sent the spirit of his son into our hearts.” [Galatians 4:6] This is not just a theological concept but an awesome reality if we are truly “walking” with him. He told the Ephesians, “… now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light” [Ephesians 5:8]

Paul at this stage called Saul, (his Hebrew name) was led by the hand into Damascus “and for three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor drank” [Acts 9:9] The Lord comes to a disciple named Ananias “in a vision” telling him where to go and “look for a man of Tarsus named Saul, for behold he is praying” [Acts 9:11]

How intense those prayers must have been! Ananias comes to him, his sight returns, “then he arose and was baptized … and immediately proclaimed Jesus” [Acts 9:18,20] How earnest are our prayers? How absolute was Paul’s sense of need – followed by a sense of utter appreciation of God’s mercy. What do we “sense” in thought when we pray? How strong is our sense of need whether we are baptized or not?
-------
- DC

02 May 2013

Deuteronomy 19
Ecclesiastes 11
Acts 10  

“NOT TO ALL THE PEOPLE”

These days so many strive to convince themselves there is no God.  We pondered the fact that God does not make it abundantly evident that he exists.  If he did there would be no need for faith, no need to search out what is the real cause of human existence.  These thoughts arose as we read of the conversion of Cornelius, the Roman Centurion, in Acts 10, a man whose prayers show he was genuinely seeking to have a relationship with God.

First, Peter had to learn that the hope of salvation was no longer primarily for the Jews; the death and resurrection of Jesus  had changed that.   One of the reasons for the conversion of Saul/Paul we read about yesterday, was that the time soon came when Jesus said to him, “Go, for I will send you far away to the Gentiles.” [Acts 22:21]

As Peter starts to talk to Cornelius and the Gentiles (non-Jews) with him, he first states that God has shown him that he is no longer to think that any person, apart from a Jew “as common or unclean” [Acts 10:28].  He says his hearers are aware how Jesus “went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed … for God was with him.  And we are witnesses of all that he did both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They put him to death by hanging him on a tree” [Acts 10:38-39]  Peter is stating widely known facts.

What happened after that was not so publicly known – that “God raised him on the third day and made him to appear, not to all the people but to us who had been chosen by God as witnesses, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead.” [Acts 10:41-42]   Because Cornelius was such a God fearing man, his remarkable conversion and baptism is a lesson as to the kind of people Jesus, now at the ‘right hand of God’ [Acts 2:33], is calling to his service.  

The challenging principles Jesus stated still apply, “Many are called but few are chosen” [Matthew 22:14] and Cornelius was among the chosen.  This causes us to contemplate what really matters in the sight of God as to the basic factors which will lead to one being among the chosen.  For this reason we are wise to read and reflect on his word every day and make every effort to put into practice the principles we find there.. More than this, to reflect on another saying of Jesus, “Everyone to whom much was given, of him (or her) much will be required …” [Luke 12:48]
-------
- DC

03 May 2013

Deuteronomy 20
Ecclesiastes 12
Acts 11; 12

"IN THE DAYS OF YOUR YOUTH"

Today we read the final chapter of Ecclesiastes which begins with the wise advice, “Remember … your Creator in the days of your youth.” The Hebrew word for “Remember” is sometimes translated as “mindful” e.g. Psalm 8:4 – that God is “mindful” of human beings!. How “full” are our minds of our Creator in our youth? Solomon sees this as vital advice when we are young, this surely specially applies when we are teenagers.

Could some unwisely have a philosophy of sowing a few ‘wild oats’ before they make a commitment to their Creator and His Son? Whatever we fill our minds with, whatever experience, however temporarily, leaves its stain in the house of our mind.

Temptation comes in many forms these days and while the ‘start’ may not seem too bad, it is not easy to get off the “broad way” once we have started along it. When we come to Ecclesiastes 12:11 we read, “The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one shepherd.”

Solomon sees himself as a shepherd, but Jesus is the ultimate shepherd. Their wise words only become like goads if we have firmly fixed them in our minds. We will soon read in Acts the point Paul made to the Ephesian elders, “for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God” [Acts 20:27] Are we steadily absorbing the whole counsel of God day by day?

Solomon ends his thought provoking and challenging book by writing, “The end of the matter: all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of mankind. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.”

Soon we will come to the account in Acts of Paul and the Roman Governor Felix – how Paul “reasoned about righteousness and self-control and the coming judgment, Felix was alarmed …” [Acts 24:25]. If we have made our minds full of our Creator “in the days of our youth” we will have no need to be alarmed.
-------
- DC

04 May 2013

Deuteronomy 21
Songs 1
Acts 13  

“… JUDGE YOURSELVES UNWORTHY”

Our chapter today in Acts (Acts 13) is most thought provoking.  The message of the Gospel is now spreading and what is most fascinating is all the different reactions Paul and Barnabas experienced as they travelled.  What is also significant is the extent to which they quoted from the Old Testament – but that was their Bible.   Our chapter contains no less than 7 quotations from the Old Testament made in the speech at Antioch in Pisidia.  The Old Testament is God’s word just as much as the New Testament.

Their initial preaching was to Jewish communities, for they visited them first as they travelled from place to place and supported their message about Jesus with all these quotations from the Old Testament.  Evidently the Jews, and sadly it is the same today, only read their Bible selectively – but God’s word must be read in totality.

“Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, saying, ‘It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you.  Since you thrust it aside  and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles.” [Acts 13:46-47]   There is some comparison in this in what has happened over the last 50 years.  Belief in God and his word has shrunk alarmingly in the ‘western’ world. – and so those who earnestly believe his word have turned to other races such as India, where, for example, there are now about 100 congregations – and growing each year – but we know of none in India 40 years ago – or Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal or Bangladesh for that matter.

How many today are not taking the word of God seriously?  Or maybe only taking it selectively in an endeavor to try to prove, for example, that they go to heaven when they die, or that “grace” is ever abounding so they do not have to really strive against sin.   If they are not taking God’s word seriously – and ‘thirstily’ into their hearts, they are, to quote Paul and Barnabas, starting to “judge themselves unworthy of eternal life”

Let us make sure we are among those who accepted and obeyed the message and “began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord …” [Acts 13:48]
-------
- DC

05 May 2013

Deuteronomy 22
Songs 2
Acts 14; 15

"... AND FROM SEXUAL IMMORALITY"

There is a very interesting link between our 3 readings today. The early church has a crisis meeting to decide whether the new Gentile converts should be expected to keep the Law of Moses. Leaders including Paul, Barnabas, Peter and James participate in, what we would call today, a high level conference in Jerusalem . The end result is that a letter is compiled to be sent to all the churches telling them that it is not required that they should keep that Law, but it did add that they should “abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols … and from sexual immorality.” [Acts 15:29]

Our Deuteronomy reading [Deuteronomy 22] has a section headed ‘Laws concerning sexual immorality’ [Deuteronomy 22:13-30] in which rules are laid down that the people must abide by an upright moral code and that a woman should preserve her virginity until marriage and if she is found not to have done so she is to be put to death “because she has done an outrageous thing … so you shall purge evil from your midst” [Deuteronomy 22:21].

There is no evidence that such punishment ever happened among the early Christians. Baptism into Christ blotted out all past sins. However we read in Hebrews, “Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord … that no ‘root of bitterness’ springs up and causes trouble and by it many become defiled; that no one is sexually immoral or unholy …” [Hebrews 12:14-16]

Our other reading today was in the Songs of Solomon which is an allegorical story of true love and how a bride adores her beloved. “My beloved is mine, and I am his.” [songs 2:16], this is interpreted as illustrating Christ’s love for his church. Paul was to write, “Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her … that she might be holy and true and without blemish” [Ephesians 5:25,27] All those who aim to be true members of the body of Christ should bear these words very much in mind.
-------
- DC

06 May 2013

Deuteronomy 23
Songs 3
Acts 16; 17

DRAMA AT ATHENS

One of the better known stories in the Bible is when Paul was in Athens and confronted the idol worshippers. He gave a challenging speech on Mars Hill, (modern Bibles translate it as Areopagus) Paul observes how religious (AV ‘superstitious’) they are! [Acts 17:22].

“Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious: for I passed along and observed the objects of your worship.” He seizes on the fact they had even made an altar to the unknown god, in case they had missed one! This is Paul’s chance to describe the God they do not know as the one true God, a God that is REAL and not the product of human imagination.

Today we have ‘evolution’ as a concept of human imagination which is, in a sense, ‘worshipped’ by many of the intellectuals of this age. This ‘evolution God’ frees its worshippers from any sense of developing a conscience that they need to obey and serve as the ‘being’ that created them. At the end of Acts 17 we read how “some mocked” [Acts 17:32] Paul’s message, especially the teaching that the dead are to be raised. This is comparable to the way you hear some ‘mock’ today at belief in the Bible.

It occurred to us to wonder why Paul performed no miracle at Athens as this would have challenged the thinking of the people. When the Apostle’s started their preaching there had been a dramatic healing in Jerusalem. Miracles occurred again in Cyprus and then at Iconium where “the Lord bore witness … granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands” [Acts 14:3] and again at Lystra and Philippi. The healings helped convince many, so why not at Athens?

We suspect that the people of Athens were so set and confident in their ways of religious thought that they did not deserve to witness a miracle! Is not that comparable to today? But is not the resurrection of the nation of Israel from the dead a miracle!? .

It is to those who know the word of God – a wonder that those who knew that word in the 19th Century could anticipate this event, despite the lack of any political indication of this150 years ago. When the miracle of Christ’s return overwhelms the world - it will be too late to start believing. Belief in God has its foundations built on a true faith grounded in a real knowledge of His word! How strong is your foundation?
-------
- DC

07 May 2013

Deuteronomy 24
Songs 4
Acts 18; 19

"YOUR BLOOD BE ON YOUR OWN HEADS"

The Apostle Paul frequently encountered conflict as he travelled to different communities preaching the message of the cross. At each place he started by preaching to the Jews in their synagogues. We read today that “he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and tried to persuade Jews and Greeks.” [Acts 18:4] Then Silas and Timothy joined him, they found “Paul was occupied with testifying to the Jews that the Christ (Messiah) was Jesus. And when they opposed and reviled him, he shook out his garments and said to them, “Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent” [Acts 18:5-6]

In what sense was Paul innocent? He was innocent because he was fulfilling the commission Christ had given to him to preach Christ’s gospel. But there were a great many difficulties in Corinth: to encourage him “the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, ‘Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you.” [Acts 18:9-10] “And many of the Corinthians, hearing Paul believed and were baptised.” [Acts 18:8]

It is most interesting to note that his enemies “seized Sosthenes, the ruler of the synagogue and beat him” [Acts 18:17] What had the ruler of the synagogue done wrong? Were they blaming him for allowing Paul to preach – or had he been converted? We notice that the very first verse of Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians says, “Paul, called by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and our brother Sosthenes”

We will see in tomorrow’s reading of Acts 20 that Paul tells the elders from Ephesus, “I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of you all, for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God.” [Acts 20:26-27] All believers of Paul’s gospel, which is “the gospel of God” [Romans 1:1] should make themselves “innocent” by by seeking opportunity to declare to all they come in contact with - the gospel that Paul preached, which is the only real gospel. If you have not yet accepted that Gospel yourself – why not? Is the way too “narrow” for you? Is your vision of what life means – sort of – clouded over?
-------
- DC

08 May 2013

Deuteronomy 25
Songs 5
Acts 20

“THE WHOLE COUNCIL OF GOD”

Our chapter in Acts [Acts 20] emphasizes the total dedication of Paul to complete the mission Jesus gave him. He declares to the Ephesian elders who had come to him at Miletus that he has “gone about proclaiming the kingdom … therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all of you, for I did not shrink from declaring the whole counsel of God. Pay careful attention to yourselves …” [Acts 20:26-28]

The whole counsel of God has its climax in the prospect of his kingdom coming and his will being “done on earth.” This has to be the central theme those who follow Christ hold and teach. It is tragic that Paul knew and told them that “from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things to draw away disciples after them.” [Acts 20:30] And so it has happened - and has been happening ever since – but this is a major reason why we need to absorb into our minds some portion of God’s word every day – we ourselves must keep a firm hold on “the whole council of God.”

The Song of Solomon we are currently reading is a rather challenging example of this: it is understood as an allegorical story, a parable. It is about a bride waiting for her bridegroom and having difficulty in keeping sight of him. He is Christ – and true believers his spiritual bride. The bride is anxiously waiting for the bridegroom, “I opened to my beloved, but my beloved had turned and gone. My soul failed me when he spoke. I sought him, but found no answer …” [songs 5:6]

There are some who ask the waiting bride, “What is your beloved more than another beloved O most beautiful among women?” [songs 5:9] The true believer should aim to develop spiritual beauty – and see her bridegroom as the one and only prospective husband. She answers, “he is altogether desirable. This is my beloved and this is my friend.” [songs 5:16]

Tomorrow’s chapter describes their meeting. “Come, my beloved, let us go out into the fields … to the vineyards … There I will give you my love.” [songs 6:11-12] – an allegorical picture of the joys of the kingdom.

True believers who live by “the whole council of God” see their Saviour and hope of salvation in this perspective.
-------
- DC

09 May 2013

Deuteronomy 26
Songs 6
Acts 21; 22  

“YOU HAVE DECLARED …. THE LORD HAS DECLARED”  

Moses’ final message to the emerging nation of Israel is now approaching its’ climax. Today’s chapter in Deuteronomy [Deuteronomy 26] contains two statements that arrested our attention.  First he says to them, “You have declared today that the LORD is your God, and that you will walk in his ways and keep his commandments and his rules and obey his voice” [Deuteronomy 26:17].  

As a result, says Moses, “The LORD has declared today that you are a people for his treasured possession … and that he will set you in praise and in fame and in honour high above all nations that he has made and that you shall be a people holy to the LORD … ” [Deuteronomy 26:18-19].  

Under Joshua’s leadership the LORD’S declaration started to be fulfilled.  In the reigns of King David and King Solomon it was a time of rejoicing as these righteous kings led the nation to walk in the ways of their God and keep what they had declared.

It was not so with every generation but God’s declaration still stands.  When believers are baptised they accept this declaration as being for them. it happens at their baptism!  What the LORD declares will have its’ fulfilment in the life to come on earth when the Lord Jesus Christ reigns.  All those who have made or decide to make a declaration now to serve him and who are then faithful to their declaration will experience what God has declared and become his treasured possession.  

The final prophet of the Old Testament era, Malachi. used this phrase when he wrote, “Then those that feared the LORD spoke with one another.  The LORD paid attention and heard them, and a book of remembrance was written before him of those who feared the LORD and esteemed his name.  ‘They shall be mine,’ says the LORD of hosts, in the day when I make up my treasured possession …” [Malachi 3:16-17] In that day they will fully experience what “the LORD has declared”.  

Let us ask ourselves! Did I talk with others today of things that our Lord would be pleased to hear?  Did I do so because I am in awe (fear) of him?  If not, let us do so tomorrow – and all the days thereafter.
-------
- DC

10 May 2013

Deuteronomy 27
Songs 7
Acts 23; 24  

"AS HE REASONED ABOUT ..."

What do we/you reason about?  This question is prompted by verses in today’s chapter of Acts  [Acts 24].  The arrest of Paul which had been predicted by the prophets in the early church possessed by the gifts of the Spirit, had now taken place in Jerusalem.  

Paul is brought to Caesarea and kept in custody by the Roman Governor Felix who has a Jewish wife  and “having a rather accurate knowledge of the Way” [Acts 24:22] (‘the way’ being the earliest phrase used to describe followers of Christ), the Governor is not willing to aid Paul’s accusers, instead he arranged for him “to have some liberty” [Acts 24:23] and then, when his wife came, “he sent for Paul and heard him speak about the faith in Christ Jesus.  And as he reasoned about righteousness and self-control and the coming judgement Felix was alarmed …” [Acts 24:24-25]

If someone like Paul was alive today and we heard them reasoning about such things – would they alarm us?  Or would we welcome such reasoning?   Would we make it part of our reasoning and reason for living?  Don’t we make our answer rather obvious by the extent to which we read the Bible – and put what we read into practice.
-------
- DC

11 May 2013

Deuteronomy 28
Songs 8
Acts 25; 26  

“THIS HAS NOT BEEN DONE IN A CORNER”

Things done in a corner are concealed from general knowledge.  It seems evident that Luke, the writer of the book of ACTS was with Paul on some of his travels.  Acts 27:1 shows he was with him as he travelled after his appeal to Caesar (Acts 27:1,3,4 &c “we” experienced this and that).  The defense of Paul before King Agrippa and the Roman Governor is given in such detail it is evident it is a personal report.  Festus, the Roman Governor struggles to comprehend what Paul is saying, he desires to write a report to Caesar detailing the nature of the accusations against him.

Paul declares, “To this day I have had the help that comes from God, and so I stand here testifying both to small and great, saying nothing but what the prophets and Moses said would come to pass:  that Christ must suffer and that, by being the first to rise from the dead, he would proclaim light both to our people and to the Gentiles.” [Acts 26:22-23]  Festus is confused saying, “Paul, you are out of your mind.” Paul responds, “I am not out of my mind … I am speaking true and rational words … for this has not been done in a corner” [Acts 26:24-26]

The events of nearly 2,000 years ago are powerfully evidenced by history – not just the Bible text – but in Roman history.  Alongside this we can put our reading today in Deuteronomy 28. Moses sets out the blessings the nation will have if they truly serve God when they enter the promised land.  The first generation did so – as the book of Joshua we are about read shows.!  

But the latter part of our chapter details the curses that would come upon them for turning their back on God – ending with an awesome description which had its ultimate fulfillment in the Holocaust 60 years ago. “The Lord will give you there a trembling heart and failing eyes and a languishing soul. Your life will hang in doubt before you.  Night and day you shall be in dread …” [Deuteronomy 28:66-67]  Some try to deny the Holocaust but “this has not been done in a corner”  

What position do we take?  There is no neutral position!  Jesus said, “whoever denies me before me, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.” [Matthew 10:33]  
-------
- DC

12 May 2013

Deuteronomy 29
Isaiah 1
Acts 27  

“TO WHOM I BELONG”

Today we read the dramatic account of Paul’s experience of shipwreck on the way to Rome. It is a first person account as Luke, the author of the book of Acts, is with him.  The point which particularly caught our attention was Paul’s way of talking to the crew when they were in utter desperation and the loss of the ship with everyone on it seemed certain.

We read, “When neither sun nor stars appeared for many days and no small tempest lay on us, all hope of our being saved was at last abandoned.” [Acts 27:20]  It was then that Paul stood up and said, “I urge you to take heart for there will not be loss of life among you, but only of the ship.  For this very night there stood before me an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship.” [Acts 27:23]

Note that Paul, in referring to his God, whom no one except he and Luke would know.  Many gods of human imagination would have been worshipped by the Romans, Greeks and others in the crew; Paul says “the God I worship” and then significantly adds, “to whom I belong.”  We are sure none of the idol worshippers viewed their Gods in that way! Do we view our God in that way?

Consider the point Paul makes to the Corinthians after reproving them for their sexual and other immoralities (1 Corinthians 5). “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God?  You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.” [1 Corinthians 6:19-20]  Those who are baptised commit their lives into the service of God and of Jesus Christ His son.

In the same way, the people of Israel under Moses entered into a covenant with the God that had delivered them, they belonged to him!  Moses had told them, “For you are a people holy to the LORD your God.  The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession” [Deuteronomy 7:6]   Sadly, most of the people in the generations that followed failed to have the sense of belonging to God possessed by those entering the promised land.   If we make no commitment to belong to God, then we belong to the world – a world which is facing an awesome shipwreck!.    
-------
- DC

13 May 2013

Deuteronomy 30
Isaiah 2
Act 28

“PROCLAIMING THE KINGDOM”

We complete reading Acts today: the last 2 verses show us us that Paul was in Rome for “two whole years … and welcomed all who came to him, proclaiming the kingdom of God and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ with all boldness and without hindrance.” [Acts 28:30-31] Notice the emphasis on Paul proclaiming God’s Kingdom – it is sad that as the generations passed that the message preached became totally corrupted to one of human imagination, that of an immortal soul existence in heaven.

However our reading in Isaiah has wonderful details about God’s Kingdom that “shall come to pass in the latter days … and all the nations shall flow to it … and say: Come let us go up … to the house (temple) of the God of Jacob that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths for out of Zion shall go the law and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem … he shall judge between nations … nation shall not lift up sword (weapons) against nation, neither shall they learn war any more” [isaiah 2:2-4]. The kingdom Paul was proclaiming was that revealed in Isaiah and other prophets as well as by Jesus Christ.

But Isaiah has another vision of our days: three times in the last 11 verses of this chapter we encounter the phrase, “in that day”! His vision describes a time when the kingdoms of men come to an end and “the lofty pride of man shall be humbled” [isaiah 2:11]. It is a message against “every high tower” [isaiah 2:15] and never have buildings been built higher than today. Later Isaiah sees in vision “the day of the great slaughter when the towers fall … the LORD comes from afar, burning with anger … to sift the nations with the sieve of destruction” [isaiah 30:25,27,28] This compares with words in today’s chapter, “the lofty pride of men shall be brought low, and the LORD alone will be exalted in that day … when he rises to terrify the earth” [isaiah 2:17,19].

Those who do not know God’s word will indeed be terrified. But those who know God’s word, although their faith will be tested as “man is humbled and each one is brought low” [isaiah 2:9] – they will then rejoice in the total wonder of those days. Will you be there? You make the answer now!
-------
- DC

14 May 2013

Deuteronomy 31
Isaiah 3; 4
Colossians 1

“INCREASING IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD”

Is your knowledge of God increasing? We live in a world in which all kinds of knowledge multiplies as never before – human cleverness appears to know no bounds!

Sadly – at the same time, awareness and acknowledgement of God is decreasing at an astonishing rate. It reminds us of the parable in which the citizens “hated” him and sent a message saying, “We do not want this man to reign over us.” [Luke 19:14]. Note what happened to them when the king returned! [Luke 19:27]

Today the citizens are saying, and if they do not actually say it, their actions show it – ‘We do not want to even think there is a God who has oversight of our lives and knows the nature of human thought and desire.

Our thoughts were provoked in this direction by Paul’s letter, written from prison, to the Colossians. The believers there are very much in his thoughts. “We always thank God, the father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you …” [Colossians 1:3] Timothy is with him (Colossians 1:1 sharing his prayers ... He emphasizes what occupies his mind in Colossians 1:9 “… we have not ceased to pray for you asking that ….”

And what is he asking? “Asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner fully pleasing to him …” [Colossians 1:9-10],

His next words are, “bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.” In some contexts we read the word ‘knowledge’ in the sense of “knowing” – becoming ‘fully aware of’ so as to develop a relationship with someone. Consider Job’s final declaration about God after his earnest efforts to understand his ways! Read Job 42:2-17. Consider also what Jesus accomplished “by his knowledge” [isaiah 53:11]

Central to our relationship with God is “Christ in you” [Colossians 1:27] “Him we proclaim,” writes Paul, “that we may present everyone mature in Christ” [Colossians 1:28] How is your maturity developing? Absorbing the true sense of the divine word is a foundation for this. May we all increase day by day in the “knowledge of God” and become “mature in Christ” so his way of thinking becomes more and more our way of thinking.
-------
- DC

15 May 2013

Deuteronomy 32
Isaiah 5
Colossians 2

“THEY ARE OF NO VALUE IN …”

Paul’s message to the Colossians again arrested our attention. He tells them, “See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit according to human tradition …” [Colossians 2:8] Jesus had warned against “traditions” that religious leaders of his day had developed (see Matthew 15:3-9). Creating things to observe and keep do not make us more righteous – indeed they have the opposite effect – they can make us self-righteous.

Paul tells the Colossians, “let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow …” [Colossians 2:16] Observing festivals, eg Easter and keeping the Sabbath, do not make those doing so more righteous, Paul says, “they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.” [Colossians 2:23]

What is of value? It is by “holding fast to the head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God.” [Colossians 2:19]

And how does God cause growth? We are wonderfully blessed that each one can own and read - as he or she makes the time – the whole of the word of God revealed and written through men like Moses, prophets like Isaiah, the Gospels and the letters of the Apostles. They provide essential spiritual nourishment every day – other things are seen more and more “as of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh” – and we have to admit that more and more things today – encourage such indulgence.

But it is not so much a case of setting our minds to stop ourselves doing things that our human nature inclines us toward thinking and doing – but instead - of occupying our thoughts to a greater degree with spiritual things. The result will be that we will be less and less inclined to indulge in fleshly thoughts and activities – but instead will grow “with a growth that is from God.” [Colossians 2:19] as we appreciate his word to an ever greater degree.

As a result, Paul tells the Colossians, “when Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.” [Colossians 3:4] And that “glory” will be truly unique for “no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” [1 Corinthians 2:9].
-------
- DC

16 May 2013

Deuteronomy 33; 34
Isaiah 6
Colossians 3; 4

“HIGH AND LIFTED UP”

Our reading in Isaiah today gave us thoughts that are high and lifted up! But then we contradicted ourselves – and felt as low as one can possibly be! What caused this? Meditate on the unfolding message.

Isaiah has a vision of “the Lord sitting upon a throne high and lifted up and the train of his robe filled the temple.” There are two Seraphim and one says, “Holy, Holy, Holy is the LORD of Hosts: the whole earth is filled with his glory.” [isaiah 6:3] The foundations of the thresholds shook at the sound of this voice.

Now we can understand this in the sense of the absolute wonder of God’s glory in creation which we see all around us – and the wonder of our own bodies which are the crowning glory of that creation, indeed we are “fearfully and wonderfully made” [Psalm 139:14] . We can also understand Isaiah’s words as a vision of the future, of the glory of God at the end of the 1,000 years reign when he says, “Behold, I am making all things new” [Revelation 21:5] when the Creator himself comes to dwell on earth [Revelation 21:3].

But note the overwhelming impact this vision has on Isaiah himself, “Woe is me for I am lost! I am a man of unclean lips” [isaiah 6:5] He experiences an overwhelming realization that we are all, in contrast to this perspective, nothing!

What am I, what are we, compared to the Creator of all things? We are less than nothing! Imagine Isaiah’s feelings! Can you? Can you visualize yourself in his shoes?

Then Isaiah sees in his vision a seraphim bringing a burning coal to touch his lips and he feels the wonder of cleansing and responds to the call to go and proclaim God’s challenging and condemning message to the people. God’s chosen people, yet so often failing in their responsibility to God “Here am I, send me” he is inspired to respond. Now, what sense of responsibility do we have?

It is illuminating that the phrase “high and lifted up” occurs in only two other places and both are in Isaiah. Look at the contexts in which they occur. The remarkable message of Isaiah 53 actually starts from verse 13 of the previous chapter, “Behold my servant shall act wisely, he shall be high and lifted up, and shall be exalted.” [isaiah 52:13]

This ‘picture’ of our Lord is fulfilled in his lifting up to be with his father – but first the crushing ‘weight’ of his prayers in the garden of Gethsemane. The third place is in Isaiah 57:15 “For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose Name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place and also with him (her) who is of a contrite and lowly spirit …” Wonderful! Remarkable!

Moses, whose life we have just completed reading in Deuteronomy, learnt this before God called him at the burning bush, Paul learnt this as he was lead into Damascus!

And us? Have you, have I, experienced this? If not, then is it possible, even likely, to happen someday, especially as this world falls apart and we realize even more fully that our only source of strength is in God.
-------
- DC

17 May 2013

Joshua 1
Isaiah 7
1 Thessalonians 1; 2

“WHICH IS AT WORK IN YOU”

We have 3 stirring portions of Scripture to challenge and encourage us today. Paul tells the Thessalonians how they have been “entrusted with the gospel … not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts. For we never came with words of flattery” [1 Thessalonians 2:4-5]. Our sense of God’s all-knowing presence is an essential, indeed the main ingredient, in all our deepest thoughts.

And that original gospel, which includes the ‘good news’ of God’s presence and work in us and in the world – needs to be an increasingly central part of our thinking and doing. Paul tells them you “accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God which is at work in you believers.” [1 Thessalonians 2:13] It cannot “work in” those who rarely make the time to read and reflect on what they read.

God’s word through Moses was the essential foundation in the formation of the nation as they entered the promised land. Moses bequeathed Joshua and all the nation the inspired record of the work and presence of God from the beginning of creation. As this record is completed Moses dies and God tells Joshua, “This book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night … be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous … Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you …” [Joshua 1:8-9]

The ultimate promised land and these words of God to Joshua (the name Joshua is ‘Jesus’ in the Gk language) should echo in the hearts of believers today. Our reading in Isaiah has a parallel message for us. The prophet is told to go out and challenge the fearful king in Jerusalem – Ahaz – for his “heart … and the heart of the people shook as trees of the forest shake before the wind” [isaiah 7:2]. The prophet is to tell the king, “Be careful, be quiet, do not fear ….if you are not firm in faith, you will not be firm at all” [isaiah 7:4,9] That is also a message for today.

Finally we can link God’s words through Isaiah with some more of Paul’s that we read.. In encouraging the Thessalonians he told them he was “constantly mentioning you in our prayers, remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labour of love and steadfastness of hope …” [1 Thessalonians 1:2-3] If there was a Paul here today – could he write to us in the same terms? How wonderful if he could stress that God’s word “which is at work in you” is completing that work, because we are “strong and courageous” as we are about to enter the ultimate promised land, God’s kingdom under Christ.
-------
- DC

18 May 2013

Joshua 2
Isaiah 8
1 Thessalonians 3; 4

“BLAMELESS IN HOLINESS”

Many parts of the world indulge in what is called ‘the blame game.’ Very few admit anything is their fault – and lawyers become very wealthy! There is less and less genuine honesty in our world: men and women may deceive one another – but God is never deceived!

In Paul’s 1st letter to the Thessalonians he is exceedingly anxious for news of them. He worries as to whether they are standing firm in the faith. His letter to them, we read today, shows he is relieved “that Timothy has come to us from you, and has brought us the good news of your faith and love …” [1 Thessalonians 3:6], adding, “we have been comforted about you through your faith. For now we live, if you are standing fast in the Lord.” [1 Thessalonians 3:7-8]

What causes us to “live”? Is it the same as what causes Paul? He is keen to visit them and see them “face to face and supply what is lacking in your faith?” [1 Thessalonians 3:10] Is anything lacking in our faith? Those striving to be true believers today have greater and greater challenges that threaten to undermine their faith.

We particularly noted Paul’s next words, ”may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness” [1 Thessalonians 3:12-13] That word “establish” indicates a strengthening so your heart, your outlook on life becomes ‘fixed’ How fixed is your mind?

It is very interesting that it is the same Greek word as Jesus used in warning Peter of the ordeal he would face in and after the Garden of Gethsemane. He told Peter, “but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.” [Luke 22:32] We all need to strengthen our hearts so that they are established and become “blameless.” The Greek word here is first used in Luke 1:6 about the parents of John the Baptist that they were “walking blamelessly in all the commandments and statutes of the Lord”

Our reading, meditation and prayers on God’s word are the source of the ‘glue’ to fix our minds - that will “establish” our “hearts blameless” - so that when “the Lord himself (will) descend from heaven with a cry of command with the voice of an archangel… then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up … to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord” [1 Thessalonians 4:16-17] And where will the Lord be? He will establish a world-wide kingdom as we read on Monday in Isaiah 2:2-5.

Paul ends his letter with another pressing appeal and prayer, “Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord … He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.” [1 Thessalonians 5:23-24] He will surely do it, - so let us “establish” our “hearts.”.
-------
- DC

19 May 2013

Joshua 3; 4
Isaiah 9
1 Thessalonians 5

“FOR ALL THIS”

Four times, the first three being in today’s reading of the 9th chapter of Isaiah, the prophet states God’s attitude is that, “For all this his anger is not turned away and his hand is stretched out still” [isaiah 9:12,17, 21 In their own strength they think they can ignore God and restore the things that have gone wrong, to bounce back from a disaster and rebuild saying, “the bricks that have fallen, but we will build with dressed stones; the sycamore have been cut down, but we will put cedars in their place” [isaiah 9:10].

The nation refused to see that it was the LORD who had caused these disasters, but their thoughts were on rebuild, to make things better than they had been; they did not see that it was evidence of God’s anger and further punishment would come for “the people did not turn to him who struck them, nor inquire of the LORD of hosts.” [isaiah 9:13] As a result the LORD was going to have “no compassion (even) on their fatherless and widows; for everyone is godless and an evildoer, and every mouth speaks folly (Footnote: ‘disgraceful things’)” [isaiah 9:17].

There is a solemn lesson in this for today; disasters continue to multiply in different parts of the world, extreme weather events and earthquakes are multiplying. As we read on Isaiah we will come to several prophetic visions, for example on Thursday we will read, “ I will punish the world for its evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; I will put an end to the pomp of the arrogant, and lay low the pompous pride of the ruthless. I will make people more rare than fine gold, and mankind than the gold of Ophir. Therefore I will make the heavens tremble, and the earth will be shaken out of its place, at the wrath of the LORD of hosts in the day of his fierce anger.” [isaiah 13:11-13)

But for those who looking for light in the darkness, what marvellous light is to be found in today’s chapter! Isaiah 9:6-7 tells us “For unto us a child is born … and the government shall be on his shoulder … of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end … to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.”

“From this time forth”? From the time Jesus returns! Yesterday we ended by quoting today’s Thessalonians chapter [1 Thessalonians 5:23-24] – look at it again! May we all have a clear vision of the light in the darkness, “for all this” folly of godlessness we see today our world will one day – soon – feel the fullness of the Creator’s anger. Let us make our vision of the light as clear as we can.
-------
- DC

20 May 2013

Joshua 5; 6
Isaiah 10
2 Thessalonians 1; 2

“THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW GOD”

Today we read how Joshua and the emerging nation of Israel crossed the river Jordan – and - under divine guidance destroyed Jericho. Only Rahab (and her household) who knew and feared the true God are saved. Indeed, when we come to read Hebrews 11 we will see that she is listed among the examples of men and women of real faith.

Isaiah 10 includes the prophecy that “in that day the remnant of Israel and the survivors of the house of the house of Jacob will no more lean on him who struck them, but will lean on the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, in truth. A remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob, to the mighty God.” [isaiah 10:20-21] Is that starting to happen? We watch spiritual developments in Israel with great interest. Some in God’s nation are showing signs of accepting Jesus as their Messiah; we have attended at the Messianic Synagogue here and seen about 50 Jews who believe in Jesus.

Some prophecies are like jigsaw pieces in our hands which we tentatively fit together without locking them into place. We noted Isaiah 10:22 says, “Destruction is decreed, overflowing with righteousness” and pondered its application. The nine verses of the last chapter of Hosea’s prophecy are most interesting in this regard, describing the final time when God “will heal their apostasy, I will love them freely for my anger has turned from them.” [Hosea 14:4]

In contrast our chapters in 2 Thessalonians which plainly portray the return of Jesus describes those who will suffer God’s anger “when the Lord Jesus is revealed …inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus … when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among those who have believed …” [2 Thessalonians 1:7-10]

Rahab will be there, those who heeded from their hearts Isaiah’s message will be there! What marveling will take place! But those who do not know God will not be there! That is understandable - but the greatest anguish will surely be in those who have known – but have not obeyed.
-------
- DC

21 May 2013

Joshua 7
Isaiah 11
2 Thessalonians 3

“… AN EXAMPLE TO IMITATE”

Today, more than ever before, we live in a herd environment, a human herd. Mass advertising in a great variety of media confronts us hour after hour, creating a herd mentality. We reflected on this as we read Paul’s words this morning. He told the Thessalonians that we “give you in ourselves an example to imitate.” [2 Thessalonians 3:9]

What do we imitate? What or who do we take as our examples in life? A parallel question – why do we see them as examples that we feel inclined to imitate?

Bad examples abound today; there are also things which are not specifically bad but there is nothing really worthwhile in them. We need to ask ourselves, ‘ what is spiritually nutritious’ in each thing we watch, read or do?. Paul writes, “you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone’s bread without paying for it … that we might not be a burden to you.” [2 Thessalonians 3:7-8]

Are we pulling our weight, doing our share? We live in a world (in the west in particular) where getting something for nothing seems to be the aim of an increasing percentage of the population. Some Govts have made themselves popular by giving ‘handouts’ - but then later have serious problems balancing their budgets.

In this country the degree of ‘social welfare’ encourages some to try to live ‘idle’ lives, but the true believer must have an attitude that is the very opposite. Soon we will be reading the letter to the Hebrews where it is stated, “Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith” [Hebrews 13:7] Believers then did not have the blessing of a Bible to read every day, but, if they had, they would surely have read it in nearly every hour that could be spared from their essential tasks.

But today with so many Bibles available, what part does God’s word take in daily life? One of the smallest “books” in the Bible is the 3rd letter of John. “Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God.” [3 John 11] We cannot physically “see” God but we can – with “the eyes of (our) hearts” [Ephesians 1:18] – see God - using his “living word” which cleanses hearts. Jesus said, “Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.” [Matthew 5:8]. All such will be sure to experience the wonderful time described in today’s Isaiah reading, “the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea.” [isaiah 11:9]
-------
- DC

22 May 2013

Joshua 8
Isaiah 12
1 Timothy 1; 2; 3

"HOW ONE OUGHT TO BEHAVE”

Paul's letter to Timothy is full of advice and instruction we can use for ourselves. He tells Timothy that, “I hope to come to you soon , but I am writing these things to you so that, if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church (assembly) of the living God." [1 Timothy 3:15] Paul goes on to explain how each community of believers should have overseers, or elders. He goes into great detail about the qualities such persons ought to have.

He must be married and have brought up children for if he cannot effectively manage "his own household" how will he properly "care for God's church."? [1 Timothy 3:5]. Also "he must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil." [1 Timothy 3:6]

What is this devil? How can an overseer be seen to be condemned by a devil? The translators are inconsistent, for the Greek word diabolos they translate here as devil occurs again in 1 Timothy 3:11 about what the character of the wives of deacons should NOT be! They translate diabolos as "slanderer“ in this case! The character of deacon's wives must be such that they never stoop to slander anyone. Where diabolos occurs in 2 Timothy 3:3 and Titus 2:3 the translators have rightly rendered it as slanderer or some similar word depending on your version.

Jesus said “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil” (diabolos) [John 6:70] It is to be greatly regretted that the Church, over time, built up a totally fictitious story of a evil supernatural spirit being.

So it makes sense to understand Paul’s advice that they should not make a recent convert an overseer or elder until he has developed godly wisdom to prevent the possibility that he could “fall into disgrace and the snare of the devil” dDiabolos)

Those who take any position of responsibility in God's church "must be dignified, not double tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy ... They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience" [1 Timothy 3:8-9]. Timothy is told that he should, "set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity." [1 Timothy 4:12] We should all take Paul's advice as to “how one ought to behave in the household of God.” Yes! God’s household! Do you belong?.
-------
- DC

23 May 2013

Joshua 9
Isaiah 13
1 Timothy 4; 5

“I WILL PUNISH THE WORLD FOR ITS EVIL”

God’s revelation of the future to Isaiah clearly has an application beyond the future that faced God’s nation during and sooner after the prophet’s own day. Ignoring the chapter break between today and tomorrows’ chapters (Isaiah 13;14) we read, “its time is close at hand and its days will not be prolonged. For the LORD will have compassion on Jacob and will again chose Israel, and will set them in their own land.” [isaiah 13:22; Isaiah 14:1] This is an event we are witnessing!

Isaiah 13 contains many verses which are parallel to what we have just been reading in 1 Thessalonians 5 – such as 1 Thessalonians 5:2 about “the day of the Lord”. The awesome events at the climax of the ages are highlighted in the sayings of Jesus (e.g. Luke 21:25). We read in Isaiah, “Behold the day of the Lord comes, cruel, with wrath and fierce anger … For the stars of the heavens and their constellations will not give their light; the sun will be dark at its rising, and the moon will not shed its light. I will punish the world for its evil …” [isaiah 13:9-11]

Isaiah 13:13 tells of a time when “the earth will be shaken out of its place at the wrath of the LORD of hosts in the day of his fierce anger” - this makes us think of the final mighty earthquake the world will experience as predicted in Revelation 16:18 “… a great earthquake such as there had never been since man was on the earth.”

When we then read Isaiah 14 we see this as surely being part of the vision of the climax of present human life on earth. Some particular evil man is involved! We read about “a man who made the earth tremble, who shook kingdoms, who made the earth like a desert and overthrew its cities” [isaiah 14:16-17.] We ponder world events and the potential for possession of nuclear power in the hands of certain leaders and how they might use them.

The other side of this picture is that of “the LORD and the weapons of his indignation” [isaiah 13:5] so that the righteous say of this latter day “king of Babylon: ‘How the oppressor has ceased, the insolent fury ceased! The LORD has broken the staff of the wicked …” [isaiah 14:4-5] – especially the “man who” caused extreme trembling! But at that time, “the house of Israel will … rule over those who oppressed them.” [isaiah 14:2]

After we have been awed by what God inspired Isaiah to write we balance this with our chapters from Paul’s letter to Timothy – that “godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come” [1 Timothy 4:8] He tells Timothy, “Keep close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers” [1 Timothy 4:16] As God’s punishments increase on this world – and then reach a climax – we must – more than ever – keep a close watch on ourselves.
-------
- DC

24 May 2013

Joshua 10
Isaiah 14
1 Timothy 6

"FLEE THESE THINGS"

The Apostle Paul concludes his first letter to “his son” [Philippians 2:22] Timothy with a survey of the problems and bad influences amongst some of the believers. He stresses the things he should teach adding, “If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing.” [1 Timothy 6:3-4]

He warns Timothy of “people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.” [1 Timothy 6:5] It is distressing that some appear to give the appearance of “godliness” – the worst example is those who seek to become Priests and Pastors and the like and as a result have a comfortable lifestyle and people look up to them. However note the attitude Paul stresses, “there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.” [1 Timothy 6:7-8]

We take nothing out of the world when our journey through life is complete! If we can “leave” an example of true godliness – that is the greatest bequest we can make having followed “the teaching that accords with godliness” . Our world is making a ‘god’ of money - and the possessions and travel experiences, etc it can bring, but Paul warns, “the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith …” [1 Timothy 6:10]

Look how Paul urges Timothy, “But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith. Take hold of eternal life to which you were called …” [1 Timothy 6:11-12] The phrase “flee these things” highlights the urgent need to get away from wrong attitudes. Let us imagine Paul is writing to us with these words - for in following them we keep ourselves “unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ.” [1 Timothy 6:14]
-------
- DC

25 May 2013

Joshua 11
Isaiah 15
2 Timothy 1

"WITH A CLEAR CONSCIENCE"

Paul tells Timothy in his 2nd letter, “I thank God whom I serve, as did my ancestors, with a clear conscience” [2 Timothy 1:3] How necessary to have such a conscience. How shattered his conscience must have been after his encounter with Christ on the road to Damascus. As soon as he could, after Ananias came to him. he was baptised to wash away his sins and then he was preaching in the synagogue - that Jesus really was the Messiah.

Christ was now “in” Paul – he told the Galatians, “It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith …” [Galatians 2:20] Then in Galatians 4:19 he told the Galatians he was “in the anguish of childbirth until Christ is formed in you.”

He begins his letter to Timothy, as with all his letters, “To Timothy, my beloved child: Grace, mercy and peace from God the father and Christ Jesus our Lord.” [2 Timothy 1:2] Our minds can ‘slide’ over his familiar way of greeting his readers; but where would we be without this “grace” – linked with the mercy of God – creating a special kind of “peace” in our hearts? We would be nowhere!

Think of the occasion Jesus was in a Pharisee’s house [Luke 7:36-49] and “a woman of the city” came “weeping” and washed his feet with her hair. The Pharisee did not at all approve – but Jesus said, “I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven – for she loved much.” He tells her, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.” Paul, who had been a Pharisee was to fully relate to the state of mind of that woman.

Compare this with yourself – ourselves! The challenge to us in our thought processes when our “conscience” seems reasonably OK, is creating the impetus to make a commitment to Christ, or continue and build on a commitment we have made – when it is not a strong one that makes its presence fully felt to dominate our minds – as happened with Paul.

Our chapter indicates that Paul had been involved in Timothy’s conversion. Paul says “I remember your tears” [2 Timothy 1:4]. We are told nothing of his father, but he was blessed with a mother and grandmother’s influence and their example of “sincere faith” [2 Timothy 1:5]

What kind of faith dwells in us? Has it had to faces challenges to overcome that has made it strong? Or, has it so far slid past challenges and has yet to be exercised to create in you “a clear conscience”? Or maybe you are keeping your “conscience” in a side room of your thinking – just for a while? Sadly such side rooms tend to become the permanent abode of a conscience until it is too late! The last 2 chapters of the Old Testament are particularly challenging to those who honestly admit to themselves they have this problem. [Malachi 3; 4]
-------
- DC