TFTBR - June 2015

Resource Manager

26 June 2015

1 Samuel 5; 6

Isaiah 51

Revelation 12; 13  

"A CALL FOR THE ENDURANCE AND FAITH OF THE SAINTS"                        

“Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints” [Revelation 13:10].  All dedicated Bible believers are saints!  This statement in Revelation was true then – and it is just as true today. “Endurance” and “faith”  will need to be dominant guiding principles in believer’s lives as God “shortens the days” [Matthew 24:22] causing the “sudden” return the Lord Jesus, for if that did not happen  no human beings would be left alive.   

Honesty should compel all dedicated students of God’s word to admit that some things, maybe many things, in the Bible are a “challenge” to understand.  The history of Christianity is full of examples of mistakes made in trying to be specific when expounding prophecy. It is clear that, throughout history there has been a continuing battle between that which is true and right in relation to God and that which is a human perversion of that truth – this is caused by human pride and results in the distortion of God’s word so as to enhance that pride, often it has the aim of exalting their standing in the sight of others.  

This happened in the time of Jesus and we read in several places how Jesus condemned the religious leaders for teaching their own traditions. [Matthew 15:3-6] This kind of leader is represented in Revelation as a dragon and a beast. We read of a beast that looks somewhat like a lamb [Revelation 13:11] but when it opens its mouth it is clear it is not – and those who know their Bibles realize whether the teachers they hear or read are faithful to God’s word. 

One of the lessons we learn in life is that one never simply judges by appearances!   This is why it is essential we read and absorb the teachings of the Bible for ourselves, this lays the foundation for our salvation.  In past Centuries, that which is represented by the symbols of the beast and the dragon often persecuted those who followed the lamb. Sometimes they became martyrs – and that began with some of the disciples. 

Today, as well as seeing those who think Christ accepts them, although they teach things which Christ did not teach, we also have to contend with the energetic promotion of the belief that we are just the highest form of evolved animal life, that there is no God at all!    As a result there is even greater immoral behaviour now with “no fear of God before their eyes” [Romans 3:18]  So the call for “endurance and faith” goes out today more than ever.  It is vital we heed the call, then we will sing “the song of the Lamb” (see Revelation 15:3-4) – and how soon will that be now!

-------

- DC

27 June 2015

1 Samuel 7; 8

Isaiah 52

Revelation 14 

"A CALL FOR ... ENDURANCE"

The verse that stood out most of all in Revelation 14 today was verse12. "Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus." [Revelation 14:12] The context in which this occurs is plainly picturing the great contrast between godliness and ungodliness. A saint is one set apart, it does not mean someone who is ‘perfect’ – but that God is going to make them perfect!. The chapter 'pictures' harvest time, reminding us of the parable of Jesus, of wheat and tares [Matthew 13:25-30]

Revelation pictures "a white cloud, and seated on the cloud one like a son of man, with a golden crown on his head, and a sharp sickle in his hand ... he who sat on the cloud swung his sickle across the earth, and the earth was reaped." [Revelation 14:14,16]   Revelation 14:19 is awesome, "So the angel swung his sickle across the earth and gathered the grape harvest of the earth and threw it into the great winepress of the wrath of God."

There are parallel passages, especially in Isaiah.  In Isaiah 63 we will soon read, "I have trodden the winepress alone .... For the day of vengeance was in my heart, and my year of redemption had come...." [isaiah 63:3-4]  This is, vengeance on the godless, but redemption for the godly: the rest of the chapter is most thought provoking!

Back in Revelation we notice that Revelation 14:12 contains one of the hidden 'sevens' in Revelation, it is the occurrence of a significant Greek word: our ESV translates it as "endurance" - but in the old A.V as "patience".  It is a message for us today! "Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus."

It is good that we should consider the message Jesus sent to the believers in Philadelphia (in Revelation 3:10) as a message to us. It is powerful and challenging! "Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth. I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown."  Or, as the opening words of our chapter [isaiah 52] in Isaiah challengingly puts it, “Awake, awake, put on your strength …” and then the wondrous time, Isaiah 52:10 describes when “The LORD has bared his holy arm before the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.”  The rewards for “endurance” will then be wonderfully seen – in contrast to the awesome use of “the great winepress” – the destiny of “the broad way” in contrast to “the narrow way.”

-------

- DC

28 June 2015

1 Samuel 9

Isaiah 53

Revelation 15; 16  

"IT WAS THE WILL OF THE LORD TO …"                                                                                               

Today we should meditate at length on Isaiah 53; it is one of the best known and most meaningful chapters in the Bible.  It is the message Isaiah received about God’s suffering saviour of mankind. How challenging for us, for all people, to see God at work – working in ways that cause humans to think and search their intellect and see more and more of the meaning of life, to see it from God’s perspective and, most of all, to see the part God is seeking for them to take in the greater picture, even the endless picture, as he must see it.  We have to admit we can only “see in a mirror dimly” [1 Corinthians 13:12] most of the time.

Jesus saw in the mirror perfectly – and we have his example to try to follow.  There have been, and maybe there still are times, hopefully only temporarily, when we are among those who “like sheep have gone astray … have turned everyone to his own way” [isaiah 53:6]  

Then comes the ‘picture’ which, if we meditate deeply upon it, becomes mind-numbing. He alone was “like a lamb” that “was led to the slaughter” for “it was the will of the LORD to crush him” [isaiah 53:10]! 

Then a wondrous contrast follows: “he shall see his offspring … the will of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.”  The whole sequence of events had been mapped out in the all-seeing mind of God and then put into effect through the willing co-operation of Jesus.

We should also take special note of Isaiah 53:11; “by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities.” As well as the wonder of being among those “accounted righteous” we should meditate on the word “knowledge.”  Think of the “knowledge” Jesus had as to God’s will and his commitment to do it. 

This led us to meditate on Job’s experience and his struggle to understand the ways of God – and the challenge God made to him, “Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?” [Job 38:2]  Ponder his state of mind in his final confession, “I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted” [Job 42:2]

The same challenge is made to us – to gain a true knowledge “of the will of the LORD” through reading his word and then putting that knowledge into action and saying/praying to God, using Job’s words, “I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted”. The more we learn of “the will of the LORD” the more we will say the same, being in utter awe of  “the will of the LORD” in dealing with this present world.  But even more, we will seek to see God’s will for us - in the way we can be among those “working together with him”  [2 Corinthians 6:1] – an essential part of being ready when the angels call.

-------

- DC

29 June 2015

1 Samuel 10

Isaiah 54

Revelation 17; 18  

"FOR IN A SINGLE HOUR"

We are nearing the climax of the book of Revelation. It contains our Lords’ ultimate prophetic parables: the symbols he uses are challenging.  The end of Revelation 17 describes a prostitute (harlot) that rides a beast.  We take the woman to represent the ultimate false religious system. For centuries this has been identified as false Christianity, primarily Roman Catholicism, but we recognise that most other forms of Christianity have adopted her false teaching on heaven going and that souls are immortal.

We also need to remember that Jesus saw just two options before mankind. "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money." [Matthew 6:24] It is clear what 99+% of people follow today. So when we read today in Revelation 18, 'For in a single hour all this wealth has been laid waste.' And all shipmasters and seafaring men, sailors and all whose trade is on the sea, stood far off and cried out ..., ‘What city was like the great city?'  And ... they wept and mourned, crying out, "Alas, alas, for the great city where all who had ships at sea grew rich by her wealth! For in a single hour she has been laid waste." [Revelation 18:17-19]  The reference to the “single hour” is repeated for emphasis.

Now it is true that the R.C. church has acquired great wealth - and persecuted faithful Bible believers in centuries past, as the final verse in this chapter indicates; but the picture we see in these verses in  Revelation is of a final financial disaster that is world-wide. Revelation 19:2 tells us that God "has judged the great prostitute who corrupted the earth with her immorality, and has avenged on her the blood of his servants." We are in awe of the nature of what God will very soon bring on the world, now that his chosen people are back in the promised land and appear to "dwell securely" - ponder Ezekiel 34:28-31. 

A final thought!  Back in Revelation 19 we read that John is told, "Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb." [Revelation 19:9] We recall that Jesus, at the 'last supper' with his disciples told them he would not eat it again "until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God" [Luke 22:16] We may have to endure in true and complete faith "for … a single hour" knowing our Lord "will send out the angels and gather his elect" [Mark 13:27] as that "single hour" reaches its awesome climax, conscious also of our Lord’s words, “if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short” [Matthew 24:22].

-------

- DC

30 June 2015

1 Samuel 11; 12

Isaiah 55 

Revelation 19; 20  

"WHY DO YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY FOR ..."

Our reading in Isaiah 55 challenges us in a really pointed way today! It begins with an invitation, "Come, everyone who thirsts ..."  Thirsty for what?  "He who has no money" is invited!  "Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price."  The challenge is made in the Isaiah 55:2, "Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labour for that which does not satisfy?"

What do God's words through the prophet mean? Life today is a self-centred life, how few think of their Creator and take any notice of the invitation God gave through Isaiah long ago - but which God has seen preserved for those living in the 21st Century. The invitation is to "delight yourselves in rich food." What kind of food - for the stomach or for the mind and heart? Obviously the latter! Food to give eternal meaning to your life!

Isaiah 55:3 tells us!   "Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live; and I will make with you an everlasting covenant ..." The prophet is then caused to write of God's "steadfast, sure love for David. Behold, I made him a witness to the peoples ..." [isaiah 55:4]

To better understand this we must go and deeply consider the promises God made to him - which David perceived were "... spoken also of your servant's house for a great while to come, and this is instruction for mankind, O Lord GOD!" [2 Samuel 7:19]  It now increasingly clear we are living in that time!

Our Isaiah chapter builds up to a climax in revealing in fairly straightforward wording the power of the promises we read in God's word. "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,  so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed ..." [isaiah 55:10-11]

We each have that word in our hands - but has it really entered our heart to create a "crop" that God can harvest.  We read in Isaiah 45 that God declared "from my mouth has gone out in righteousness a word that shall not return: (until) "To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance." [isaiah 45:23] 

Are you and I living so God's word is alive in our hearts?  How are we spending our "money"?  Let us all labour for that which will satisfy - eternally.  

-------

- DC