TFTBR - June 2015

Resource Manager

01 June 2015

Joshua 18

Isaiah 24

Hebrews 6; 7 

"WE WHO HAVE FLED FOR REFUGE ... "

How increasingly uncertain life is today in most countries, perhaps we should say, all countries: the daily news is a continuous account of troubles and godlessness.  In the letter to the Hebrews today we read, "we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.  We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul..." [Hebrews 6:18-19] Those who are the "heirs," realise more and more with our seeking minds as they read God's word that it does "show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose ..." [Hebrews 6:17] 

As this world becomes more godless we are in awe that the time must be getting closer when we will urgently seek that "refuge."  This, for most, if not all of us, will be a spiritual refuge because we have genuine strength of faith, a conviction that God is in control as we will recognise his ‘will’ is being carried out.  

We are awed by the 'picture' we saw in reading Isaiah 24 today - of God's final judgements on a godless world.  We note the last verse first. It is a foundation to our faith in the face of God's coming judgements; "the moon will be confounded and the sun ashamed, for the LORD of hosts reigns on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem..."   The literal moon and sun?  Or the political luminaries?  The "poetry" in this chapter challenges our understanding!  

Before "the LORD of hosts reigns," the prophecy in this chapter portrays an awesome picture of the LORD’s  punishment on the total godlessness that has filled the world. It is portrayed in graphic terms, is this totally literal?   

"Behold, the LORD will empty the earth and make it desolate, and he will twist its surface and scatter its inhabitants ... The earth lies defiled under its inhabitants ... Therefore a curse devours the earth, and its inhabitants suffer for their guilt ..." [isaiah 24:1,5,6] "Terror and the pit and the snare are upon you, O inhabitant of the earth!" [isaiah 24:17] This is poetic language, what  awesome literal events are indicated?   "The earth is utterly broken, the earth is split apart, the earth is violently shaken.  The earth staggers like a drunken man; it sways like a hut; its transgression lies heavy upon it, and it falls, and will not rise again." [isaiah 24:19-20] The literal earth does not transgress!

This certainly means that the godless way of life will be "broken" and "not rise again." What will rise in its place will be wondrously experienced for eternity by those " who have fled for refuge." They will be there to experience the wonder when "the LORD of hosts reigns on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem..." May all who read this be so committed to living their lives for their LORD and Saviour that they will hear Jesus at his return say, as he expresses it in a parable, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.' [Matthew 25:23] Are you a “good and faithful servant”? 

-------

- DC

02 June 2015 

Joshua 19

Isaiah 25

Hebrews 8; 9  

"TO SAVE THOSE WHO ..."

Our Hebrews chapters today finish on a wonderfully positive - and challenging note - "Christ .... will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him." [Hebrews 9]  The words immediately prior proclaim to us that "Christ ... put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. And ... having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time ..." 

What does it mean to "bear sins"?  The Apostle Peter wrote, "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed." [1 Peter 2:24]  We have been reading in the early books of the Bible, the Mosaic law and the offerings of animals for sin.  Our Lord "put away sin" offerings, he brought the Mosaic law to an end. 

The sacrifice of Jesus "healed" all those who have accepted him as their Saviour, acknowledging this by being baptised.   This takes away the sense of guilt which hinders, and can even blot out, our sense of communion (communication) with God.  May this be the sense of meaning and feeling in the minds of all those who are reading this: committing their lives to live for – and be in service to – their Saviour. 

Earlier in the chapter, at Hebrews 9:15, we read that Jesus "is the mediator of a new covenant."  We know that a "mediator"  come between two parties.  On the one hand we perceive the awesome greatness of the Creator of all things - the 'being' who is far beyond our human comprehension - on the other hand - there is ourselves!  The work of Christ, our mediator, is "so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance." [Hebrews 9:15]

The writer, whom we believe must be Paul, then compares the offering of the blood of animals, as under the law given through Moses, with the offering of Christ on the cross who "appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself." [Hebrews 9:26] We accept his sacrifice as being for us when we are baptised - our sins are "put away."  Early in Acts we read of Peter preaching, "Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out" [Acts 3:19]  All who do this should be " eagerly waiting for him" ready for when he comes "to save those who" are doing this, with oil in the lamps, ready to cry "Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him." [Matthew 25:6]     

-------

- DC

03 June 2015

Joshua 20; 21

Isaiah 26; 27

Hebrews 10  

"YOU KEEP HIM IN PERFECT PEACE WHOSE ..."

What wonderful - and challenging - chapters we have today in Isaiah and Hebrews.  But first we read in Joshua of the completion of organising life (but it is mortal life) in the promised land.  The point is made in the last verse of Joshua 21:45; "Not one word of all the good promises that the LORD had made to the house of Israel had failed; all came to pass." How eternally wonderful, much more so, will be the fulfilment in the kingdom age of God's promises.

In Isaiah 26 our chapter starts, "In that day this song will be sung ... Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock." [isaiah 26:1,4] And Isaiah 26:3 said, "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you."

In a sense this is true now, but its' fulfilment in the kingdom age will be wonderful. Until that kingdom is here, in reality, there will be times of testing for our faith, may it be strong enough for us to maintain "perfect peace."  'Perfect' has the sense in the Hebrew 'Tamin' of 'complete' and 'genuine.' How wonderful to have a God-given peace of mind in the face of the increasing chaos and fear that develops more and more around us.  Isaiah continues, " The path of the righteous is level; you make level the way of the righteous." [isaiah 26:7]

If we fail to regularly feed our minds on God's word - we cannot expect him to make a level path for us. But may Isaiah 26:9 be true for you and I in our prayers, "My soul yearns for you in the night; my spirit within me earnestly seeks you. For when your judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness."  Until that time may we yearn for an increasing spiritual awareness of God, for the prayer of faith through His Son will surely bring us into his presence.  

In Hebrews 10 we pick out just 3 of several wonderful and challenging verses, "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.  And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works ... encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." [Hebrews 10:23-25] In this way we can have confidence our Lord will keep us in perfect peace" because our minds are stayed - fixed - focused - on him. 

-------

- DC

04 June 2015

Joshua 22

Isaiah 28

Hebrews 11  

"WITHOUT FAITH IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO ..."

Today we read that well known chapter in Hebrews, Hebrews 11. Its' reading always comes as a fresh challenge to our minds. Hebrews 11:6 is one of the most challenging! "without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe ..."  And what is it that we MUST believe?   

That God "exists and that he rewards those who seek him."  Let's focus our minds on that point!  The foundation to faith in God is expressed in Hebrews 11:3! "By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible."  So the foundation we lay in our minds is to  "understand" that all that is "seen" throughout the earth was "made" in a way that is far beyond our knowing – God's methods are not "visible."  Then, after accepting that principle in our minds, we and all who desire to "draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." [Hebrews 11:6]

We must not gloss over the emphatic statement, "must believe" – a 100% conviction is needed. Their follows the example of men and woman in the past who have proved their convictions by their actions; each has shown complete faith in some remarkable situation. 

Noah is the first example. It is stressed that his remarkable faith in building the ark was "concerning events as yet unseen." [Hebrews 11:7]  Nothing remotely like a massive flood had ever occurred.

Today's world is not facing a flood – but it is facing God's judgements of a nature far beyond our comprehension of the actual events predicted.  Noah acted in "reverent fear" and as a result "became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith." Let us do the same – let us develop a "reverent fear" that is made bearable because of our reverent faith!  Let us build up the vision in our minds of  "events as yet unseen" that we might be fully convinced that, as we read yesterday in Isaiah 26:21. "The LORD is coming out from his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity." 

It seems certain that a time of endurance lies ahead, some are already experiencing this to a degree, Nepal for example. Later this month we will read the promise, "Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth." [Revelation 3:10] May our faith enable us to patiently endure whatever events come our way – for “without faith it is impossible to please” God – and in the coming climax – we will need to fully “draw near to God.” 

-------

- DC

05 June 2015

Joshua 23; 24

Isaiah 29

Hebrews 12  

"SHALL THE POTTER BE REGARDED AS THE CLAY"                                                                           

A number of times in the Old Testament (especially Jeremiah 18; 19) God is described as a potter.  God shapes and makes all that exist, he is the Creator.  In Isaiah today [isaiah 29] we have an intriguing mix of Divine messages.  Isaiah lives in a spiritual environment similar to ourselves and his message to the people is, “You turn things upside down! Shall the potter be regarded as the clay, that the thing made should say to its maker, ‘He did not make me’; or the thing formed say of him who formed it, ‘He has no understanding’?” [isaiah 29:16] 

Today, especially in the last few years, there is a determined denial of God and the truth of creation in “educated” countries. God’s methods in creation are far beyond our comprehension, all that the scientists have been doing is examining the nuts and the bolts, they are blind to the whole picture.  It is tragic, because these human attitudes are a denial of the power of the Holy Spirit, a blasphemy for which there is no forgiveness [Matthew 12:31].

Those who regard the potter “as the clay” are those “whose deeds are in the dark, and who say, ‘Who sees us?  Who knows us?” [isaiah 29:15]   But those who read the Bible and reflect carefully about what they read are not in the dark!  

This chapter also contains a vision of the last days!  Isaiah 29:1 gives us “Ariel” as a code name for Jerusalem, “the city where David encamped” and we more clearly read “in an instant, suddenly, you will be visited by the LORD of hosts with thunder and with earthquake and a great noise, with whirlwind and tempest, and the flame of a devouring fire.  And the multitude of all the nations that fight against Ariel (Jerusalem), all that fight against her and her stronghold and distress her, shall be like a dream, a vision of the night … so shall all the multitude of all the nations be that fight against Mt. Zion.” [isaiah 29:5-8]. 

There is no event in past history that fits the scene described here. It has been individual nations that have fought against Jerusalem.   In Isaiah 29:11 we read, “the vision of all this has become like the words of a book that is sealed”.  Is the unsealing about to occur for those who really believe in God?  Read Daniel 12:4,9. Let us keep our eyes open to understand what the potter is about to do. 

-------

- DC

06 June 2015 

Judges 1

Isaiah 30

Hebrews 13 

"I WILL NOT FEAR ..."

We can read God’s word – putting the emphasis on the blessings it promises – or we can read it emphasizing the judgments it warns about.  We pray we have so lived that we deserve the blessings – yet it is only through his grace that we can anticipate them.

Our Isaiah chapter today [isaiah 30] provoked these contrasting reflections!  Let’s first notice the awesome judgements it forecasts.  There is [isaiah 30:9] a rebuke for his people, "they are a rebellious people, lying children, children unwilling to hear the instruction of the LORD."  How true of nearly all today.  And yet,  "the LORD waits to be gracious to you ... blessed are all those who wait for him." [isaiah 30:18] In the end, in Israel, so few did!  And isn't it the same today – including so many who claim to follow Christ – being ‘spiritual’ Israelites but who fail to “wait.”! 

And – for those “unwilling to hear”!  “Behold, the name of the LORD comes from afar, burning with his anger ..." [isaiah 30:27]! It will be a "day of the great slaughter, when the towers fall." [isaiah 30:25] Today, some nations seem to compete as to who can put up the highest buildings and towers! 

But, we also notice reassuring words for those who believe and listen to God," "In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength." [isaiah 30:15] 

But in those days they "were unwilling."  And today?  Remember what we read in Hebrews yesterday! The Lord "has promised, ‘Yet once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens.’" [Hebrews 12:26]

But today's final chapter in Hebrews, reassures and inspires us!  In Hebrews 13:5-6 we read, "Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'  So we can confidently say, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear ...'"

When we are fully committed to the Lord then "our heart" will "be strengthened by grace" [Hebrews 13:9] – especially at the time when "the LORD will cause" his judgements to come on an unbelieving world.  

Finally, notice the ‘prayer’ in Hebrews 13:20-21, “may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen."

-------

- DC 

07 June 2015

Judges 2; 3

Isaiah 31

James 1  

TESTING AND TEMPTING

What is the difference between being tested and being tempted?  Is that clear in our minds?  In our Judges readings there are several examples of God’s people being tested.  Judges 3 starts, “Now these are the nations the Lord left to test Israel … they were for the testing of Israel to know whether Israel would obey the commandments of the LORD.” [Judges 3:1,4.].  

Now the epistle of James we started reading today begins with a very challenging statement, “Count is all joy my brothers (& sisters) when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.” [James 1:2-4]  There is ‘food’ to exercise our minds in careful thought here, consider the principles spelt out in those words!  What a challenge – to count a time of difficulty as a “joy” and to avoid any sense of frustration!  Let us see such trials as a character forming situations. 

But some know that in such situations they can easily get frustrated, even angry and even lose their temper. James also says, “Blessed is the man (or woman) who remains steadfast under trial, for when he (or she) has stood the test he (or she) will receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to those who love him.” [James 1:12]  Notice that: “love him” – not just simply promised to those who obey him. 

And as far as tempting is concerned, James adds, “let no one say when he (or she) is tempted, I am being tempted by God … each person is tempted when he (or she) is lured and enticed by his own desire.” [James 1:13-14]  

Today, the world confronts us more than ever before - with temptations to feed our fleshly desires! A genuine love for the Lord is essential to enable us to subdue these desires – remember what we read 2 days ago in Hebrews 12:1-2?

We live in a world where people try to find someone else to blame for whatever goes wrong, let us avoid getting trapped into that frame of mind.  These are times of testing – let us try to cope with all such situations with “joy” and experience a joyful sense of accomplishment when we “overcome”.  

The climax to our thoughts today in Revelation 3:19-21. “Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.  Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne.”

-------

- DC

08 June 2015

Judges 4; 5

Isaiah 32

James 2  

"SHOW ME YOUR FAITH"                                                                                                                     

The letter James wrote makes several important points.  He was the chief elder of the believers in Jerusalem, the fundamental point of his teaching is that “faith” is not just something that followers of Jesus talk about.  The great majority of believers in Jerusalem, maybe all of them, were Jews and seem to have inherited some degree of the attitude of mind the Jewish leaders had in the time of Jesus. It seems there was a strong tendency to talk, but not much inclination to put their talk – about their beliefs – into action.

James asks, “What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?” [James 2:14] He challenges their attitudes of talk but little if any action' he writes, "But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” [James 2:18] That is just as true today.  In James 2:5 James had asked, “has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? James uses Abraham as an example, he says,” Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works;  and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, ‘Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness" – and he was called a friend of God’”. [James 2:21-23] 

Paul told the Galatians, that “the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, ‘In you shall all the nations be blessed.’” [Galatians 3:8]  The first verse in the New Testament tells us that Jesus “is the son of Abraham.” All too few see this reference to “the gospel” as a vital foundation to what the gospel is all about. The word ‘god’s-pell’ mean’s good news and God’s ‘good news’ was first revealed to Abraham after the disaster of Babel!  It is fascinating that the word ‘Babel’ when translated from Hebrew to Greek – becomes – Babylon!  

When we become/became related to Christ through baptism, an act which reveals our faith, we must then ‘show our faith’ by our actions – following in the footsteps of worthies, beginning with Abraham 

-------

- DC

09 June 2015

Judges 6

Isaiah 33

James 3; 4  

"HE WHO WALKS RIGHTEOUSLY …"  

When you “walk” you usually have a destination in mind!  Yet, there can be options as to how it is to be reached.  It can be, if you are careless in how you plot your walk, that you fail to reach your intended destination.  Now compare this with our human “walk” in the journeys of our lives.

We live in a world where many now have very limited aims: to own a good car, to travel to interesting destinations, to have a relationship:  things they can do – when?  This year – or in the next year or two.  

Our thoughts mediated on these lines after reading Isaiah 33 today. They are clearly words God inspired him to write, words of warning to his people.  Consider how much they apply today.

"Now I will arise," says the LORD, "now I will lift myself up; now I will be exalted.   You conceive chaff; you give birth to stubble; your breath is a fire that will consume you.... The sinners in Zion are afraid; trembling has seized the godless: "Who among us can dwell with the consuming fire?" [isaiah 33:10,11,14]

The answer, as to who "can dwell" comes in Isaiah 33:15, "He who walks righteously and speaks uprightly ... who stops his ears ... and shuts his eyes from looking on evil."  

This answer has never changed!  And the reward for this will be!   Look at Isaiah 33:17 and onward! "Your eyes will behold the king in his beauty ... Behold Zion, the city of our appointed feasts! Your eyes will see Jerusalem, an untroubled habitation ... For the LORD is our judge; the LORD is our lawgiver; the LORD is our king; he will save us ... the people who dwell there will be forgiven their iniquity." [isaiah 33:17,20,22,24]

May we so live now - that we will visit, or even dwell in God's holy city - and we will soon read of this in dramatic detail in the Book or Revelation. One verse particularly jumps out – “The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name." [Revelation 3:12] May we all be among those "who walk righteously" stopping our eyes and closing our eyes to the increasing evidence of godlessness around us today.

-------

- DC

10 June 2015

Judges 7; 8

Isaiah 34

James 5 

“... WILL SAVE HIS SOUL”

Today we completed reading the letter by James: it is very personal and challenging.  It ends with this appeal, "My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back,  let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins."

How many are being tempted to wander out into the world in these last days, maybe they start by trying to have 'a foot in both camps.'  Our world is so full of fascinating attractions and distractions  that our hearing can be 'deafened' and our sight 'blinded' by the intensity of life all around us with so many running "to and fro, and knowledge" so greatly "increased" [Daniel 12:4]

There is a parallel with the “last days” of Jerusalem in the 1st Century before it was destroyed, as Jesus had predicted and James was experiencing as he wrote his epistle. Look at the first 3 verses of his last chapter!  "Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days."  The wrong kind of treasure! 

Then in James 5:11 we read, "Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful."  As the temptations of our world grow stronger and stronger, we might weaken and get involved in  just a little of its’ godless ways, how spiritually dangerous!

Let us watch for any who are "wandering" and try to bring them back.  If we are successful we “will save his soul” and he or she will regain their relationship with God – and we ourselves will be stronger in faith.   Our daily reading and mediations on God's word are essential 'food' for our minds if our efforts are to be successful – and we will remain “steadfast” until Christ comes.   

-------

- DC

11 June 2015

Judges 9

Isaiah 35

1 Peter 1  

"THOSE WHO HAVE AN ANXIOUS HEART"

Our chapters in Isaiah and Peter’s 1st epistle today are inspiring and challenging! Isaiah is given a vision of when “the desert shall rejoice and .... blossom abundantly and rejoice with joy and singing.... They shall see the glory of the LORD, the majesty of our God. " [isaiah 35:1-2] This vision will "Strengthen the weak hands, and make firm the feeble knees.  Say to those who have an anxious heart, "Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come... [isaiah 35:3-4] But when he comes - what then?  Two contrasting results! He "will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God” and  “He will come and save you."

The chapter ends with an inspiring vision for us; ".... the ransomed of the LORD shall return and come to Zion with singing; everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away."

There are similar uplifting words in the 1st chapter of Peter, whose letters we started reading today, words which will help "those who have an anxious heart.”  They, says Peter, " are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." [1 Peter 1:5]  

Let us make sure we have that faith - as fully as possible - taking every opportunity to build it up and minimise and dispel all senses of anxiety in our heart, "so that the tested genuineness of your faith­more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire­may be found to result in praise and glory and honour at the revelation of Jesus Christ." [1 Peter 1:7] And then we will " rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls." [1 Peter 1:8-9] Finally, Peter's comment in 1 Peter 1:15 jumped out at us! "as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct."  Let us “Be strong” and “fear not!”

-------

- DC

12 June 2015

Judges 10; 11

Isaiah 36

1 Peter 2  

"A PEOPLE FOR HIS OWN POSSESSION"

We have a ‘powerful’ chapter in Peter’s 1st epistle today!  It is powerful in the sense it bluntly challenges us to make sure we are on God’s side, to fully sense we belong to him, that, spiritually, we are ‘possessed’ by him!  As a result we aim to live each day to ‘reflect’ his values and set an example to each other, indeed to all those with whom we have more than passing contact. 

Peter tells his readers, who would initially have been very largely Jews who had accepted Christ; that they “are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession"; as a result they are to "proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light" [1 Peter 2:9]. 

What a thought challenging statement that is!  What are the "excellencies" they (and we) are to proclaim? Primarily this means to set a Christ-like example!  It is counter-productive to proclaim what Christ said about how we should live and what we should believe, if our way of life does not fully reflect this.

Paul told the Colossians, "to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you …" [Colossians 1:27]  Is Christ really in you and I?

Peter then makes the point, "Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honour everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God." [1 Peter 2:16-17] Living as “free”? Yes, free from all the constraints of the letter of the old law!  Remember the challenges of Jesus to his fellow Jews! 

Honour everyone?? What does this mean in practice?  Paul told the Romans [Romans 12:10] "Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honour." How wonderful if that attitude of mind fully exists amongst us with everyone concentrating on setting a good Christ-like example to others. 

As a result, when Christ returns, there will be no doubt that we are "a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession."  There will be the wonder of being, as we soon read in Revelation 5:10, among those whom Christ has "ransomed" and "made ... a kingdom and priests ... and they shall reign on earth" - being then fully, "a people for his own possession."  Let us make sure we really know ourselves today to be "out of darkness" and living in "his marvellous light."   

-------

- DC

13 June 2015

Judges 12; 13

Isaiah 37

1 Peter 3; 4; 5  

"THE END OF ALL THINGS IS AT HAND”

Today we read the final 3 chapters of Peter's first epistle: much of what he wrote is equally applicable to the increasing uncertainties of life today.  Peter makes the point at the start of his 4th chapter, "Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time .... no longer for human passions but for the will of God." 

Life's increasing challenges today present us with just 2 options, either we are swept along by them or we "live for the rest" of our lives seeking and serving "the will of God."  

We know Peter was mainly based in Jerusalem which was facing the judgements Jesus warned about.  He writes, "The end of all things is at hand; therefore ..." [1 Peter 4:7] 

We similarly face "the end of all things" so let us follow Peter's inspired advice and "be self-controlled and sober-minded ... Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." [1 Peter 4:7-8] 

Peter's advice is wonderful, wise, but challenging in today's attractive and distracting world; it is an increasing challenge, especially for the young.  How well are you and I succeeding to " be self-controlled and sober-minded"?  Let us seek "the strength that God supplies­in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ." [1 Peter 4:11] This glory will soon be evident in all its wonderful completeness – for those who have sought “the strength that God supplies.”

The final 3 verses in this chapter further provoke our meditation on life now in 2015 - in whatever part of the world we live!  "It is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?  And 'If the righteous is scarcely saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?' Therefore let those who suffer according to God's will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good." [1 Peter 4:17-19] Let us make sure we are among those who are “doing good” – all the more as it becomes increasingly clear that “the end of all things is at hand.” 

-------

- DC

14 June 2015

Judges 14; 15

Isaiah 38

2 Peter 1; 2  

"IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER FOR THEM ..."                                                                                    

We read the first 2 chapters of Peter’s second epistle today and he, like Paul in his 2nd letter to Timothy, is nearing the end of his mortal life.   Peter is greatly concerned that all too many who had accepted Jesus as their Saviour were losing their commitment and turning back to fleshly ways of thinking and living. 

There is no half way position, either we are for Christ or we are not: either we are among the sheep or among the goats, seen by our Lord as either wheat or tares. Peter writes, “for if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse than the first.  For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than, after knowing it, to turn back …” [2 Peter 2:20-21]

Peter describes the way of life in the world around him – and it is so similar to today! “They have eyes full of adultery … they have hearts trained in greed … they promise them freedom, but they themselves are slaves of corruption.” [2 Peter 2:14,19]  Beware of human promises especially if they are made  by those claiming to be church-goers – telling you that you do not have to worry about whether you sin or not anymore because whatever you do, the blood of Christ means you are always automatically forgiven. 

Peter says that just as in Old Testament times there were “false prophets … also … there will be false teachers among you who will secretly bring in destructive heresies … and many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed … they will exploit you with false words.” [2 Peter 2:1-3]  Reading the Bible regularly and thoroughly enables us to identify these “false words.”

Finally, looking back at his 1st chapter we noted how believers should, because of the ungodliness all around them, “make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness … for if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful …” [2 Peter 1:5-6, 8].  Let us all live with the aim of bearing fruit – that will be ripe when Jesus returns.  

-------

- DC

15 June 2015

Judges 16

Isaiah 39

2 Peter 3  

“WE ARE WAITING FOR …” 

Today we completed reading the epistles of Peter. He was given to understand "that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires." [2 Peter 3:3] He tells us they will "deliberately overlook this fact, that the heavens existed long ago, and the earth was formed out of water and through water by the word of God" [2 Peter 3:5] - a prediction, now true, that people will cease to believe in God's work in creation.

Peter sees that a great deal of time lies ahead, and the spirit inspires Peter to warn how people will “deliberately overlook this fact, that the heavens existed long ago, and the earth was formed out of water and through water by the word of God" and "was deluged with water and perished." [2 Peter 3:5] Peter then warns, "do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.  The Lord is not slow to fulfil his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance." [2 Peter 3:8-9]  That is, it is not his will that any of you (or us) should perish!

Very few today have any sense of needing repentance, most do not conceive in their minds that there is any God they are answerable to! The next verse tells us, "But the day of the Lord will come like a thief ..."  it will be so unexpected! 

But the following verses are the ones we need to have most fully in mind - and respond to! "Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because ..." 

Because of what?  The present order of things "will be set on fire and dissolved"!  How literal is this?  We hope it is just a poetic way of  saying there will be an end to human Governments, but there are some awesome prophecies in Isaiah we have been reading! 

It is 2 Peter 3:13 that really inspires us. "But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells."  A promise of a new order of life, as we read in Isaiah 26:9, "For when your judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness."    This is what "we are waiting for." 

"New heavens" means new rulers and if we, by his grace, "reign with him" [2 Timothy 2:12] after the present order of things are "dissolved" we will experience the wonder of being "found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace." [2 Peter 3:14]  Peter's last verse tells us to "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ." Let us make sure we do that.

-------

- DC

16 June 2015

Judges 17; 18

Isaiah 40

1 John 1; 2  

"AND DO NOT SHRINK FROM HIM IN SHAME ... "

There are many things extra special in what John writes in his Epistles which we started reading today. He tells us that "Jesus Christ the righteous," is our "advocate." [1 John 2:1] This is another way of saying he is our mediator. "We have come to know him," writes John, "if we keep his commandments." [1 John 2:3] 

To "know him" means to have a relationship with him, evidenced by our daily (even hourly when necessary) communication with him in heartfelt meditation.  We will see tomorrow in Isaiah 41,  that God tells his chosen people, "For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, "Fear not, I am the one who helps you." [isaiah 41:13]  That is just as true for those genuinely 'in Christ' today.

Then in 1 John 2:4 John bluntly states, "Whoever says 'I know him' but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him."  In contrast to this, may we all be inspired by the next 2 verses "but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked." [1 John 2:5-6]

Are you feeling inspired by these words?  Perhaps 'challenged' is a more appropriate word for many of us? There is a natural outcome in our lives when we really succeed in doing this, and fully learn to "… not love the world or the things in the world.” [1 John 2:15]  

John warns,  “If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him ... the world is passing away along with its desires" [1 John 2:15,17] 

John ends the chapter by writing, "And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming ... you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him."  Maybe we should say ‘reborn’ as our Lord told Nicodemus. 

And how soon now is his coming!! Let us "have confidence" - laying the foundation for this vital frame of mind by reading and meditating on some portion of God's word every day.

-------

- DC

17 June 2015

Judges 19 

Isaiah 41

1 John 3; 4  

“SEE WHAT KIND OF LOVE”                                                                                                                 

Today’s 3rd chapter in the First Epistle of John starts with the above words!  Love comes in different “kinds” and fully genuine love is proved by the actions it leads to. When we get to 1 John 3:18 we read, “let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.” In turn, that kind of love leads to a reaction on the part of the person(s) who benefit from it.  

Now note the rest of that quotation. “See what kind of love the Father has given to us that we should be called children of God; and so we are.” John adds an extra dimension to the familiar statement that “God so loved the world that he gave his only Son that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life” [John 3:16] – he sees such believers as being “children of God”.

Those who are children of the world have little or no time for those who are “children of God” who live their lives trying to be of service to Him.  John proceeds to make another point, “The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.” Oh, but those who put him to death knew him!  Ah, but they only knew him a physical sense, they saw him as a rival, their minds were fixed on themselves, their motives were totally self-centred.  The point that is being made by John is that they did not know who he was, their minds were blinded through their own ego. 

Those who really think, in all humility, of the wonder of being known by God as his children, develop a totally different mind-set in their lives.  Just 4 days ago we read these words in Peter, “Humble yourselves therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties upon him, because he cares for you.” [1 Peter 5:6-7].  Those who develop the ability to see the kind of love that God has for those who serve him will, in all humility, develop this relationship with their Creator.

Our first reading today [Judges 19] reveals a totally contrasting situation! It is an ugly story of human depravity.  Why does the Bible contain such chapters?  Because it is an honest record of the depravity of human life – and how God deals with it – as well as the wonder of spiritual life and of our potential to have a total relationship with God as his children and come to “see what kind of love” the Father has given us, making us his “children.”     

-------

- DC

18 June 2015

Judges 20

Isaiah 42

1 John 5 

“EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN BORN OF GOD” 

John completes his first Epistle with some very straightforward statements; they seem very simple!  They are - but they state vital fundamental facts; ones that need to be taken right into our hearts.  The chapter begins "Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God ..."  Real belief comes from our hearts, it has to be fully genuine; we sometimes use the term 'heart-felt.'  

In the same way 'faith' has to be fully genuine!  John writes, "And this is the victory that has overcome the world­our faith." [1 John 5:4]  Genuine faith is demonstrated by our way of life.   We remember the statement of Jesus when a Centurion stated he knew Jesus did not have to "come under my roof" to heal his servant who was "suffering terribly." We read "When Jesus heard this, he marvelled and said to those who followed him, "Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith." [Matthew 8:10]

When our belief is full and utterly genuine we are "born of God" and we have the strength of will to cope with this evil world when faced with seemingly impossible situations: and how impossible is our world becoming!  Only yesterday we picked up the headline from 'Thomson Reuters’, "Cost of violence hits $14 trillion in increasingly divided world"  This was the statistic in 2014, the greatest area of violence was in uprooting people; hatred is filling our world, how great is the need for the Creator to act! How soon now? This situation increases the need for us to make sure we have "been born of God"  

Three times in the Gospels we read, "the one who endures to the end will be saved."  If we are not genuinely "born of God" - we will not endure – and be saved.  In 1 John 5:19 John says, "We know that we are from God, (although) the whole world lies in the power of the evil ...."  How great is this today!  Are we “from God” – or “from” the world?

In his short last (3rd) letter John tells us, "Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God." [3 John 11] But of course we cannot "see" God!  Or can we? With the ‘eyes of faith' we can!  Paul told the Ephesians of the marvel of "having the eyes of your hearts enlightened." [Ephesians 1:18] and what you "know" as a result of this! This is the natural experience for "everyone who has been born of God."

-------

- DC

19 June 2015

Judges 21

Isaiah 43

2 John 1; 3 John 1  

“I HAVE NO GREATER JOY …” 

John in his final short letter declares [3 John 4], “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."  Let us note two special points here.  Firstly, the foundation of true joy! What situations make us spiritually 'happy' - in a world in which 'happiness' is just froth and bubble with no substance?  Our happiness is the relationship we have with one another because of the relationship which each one is achieving with Christ and with the Father.  Secondly, the spiritual pleasure and related happiness that arises when the next generation(s) are influenced and seek the same foundation for their joy.

You will recall our comment yesterday on 3 John 11 that "... whoever does evil has not seen God" - such have no awe of the reality of God in their minds!  They are following in the footsteps of the Pharisees, whose minds were 'blind' and devoid of any sense of awe in seeing the works of Jesus, or hearing his words.  

The first part of 3 John11 stated, "Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God."  How can one be "from God?" Human beings more readily imitate what they see than what they hear - or read.  How much does television influence us - maybe without us realising it?  And what do we search to watch on the internet?  What kind of DVDs do we obtain?  We suggest that to be "from God" is to let God influence us!  We know the source of that influence!  Or should do!

Now let us note, in our Isaiah chapter [isaiah 43], the LORD's complaint about Israel. "You have burdened me with your sins; you have wearied me with your iniquities." [isaiah 43:24] but then in the next verse he declares, "I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins." God is merciful, he was to Israel, but then they presumed on his mercy - as being endless.  That is the lesson of history, but what about today?

We ponder the potential events in Israel at our Lord's return, there are clues that a sense of destiny exists among some of the leaders and we will "have no greater joy" in seeing the Lord show mercy toward them at that time.  What Paul said in his Romans’ letter [Romans 11] is to the point on this, look at Romans 11:25-33 and then mediate on the next verse. "Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!"    

-------

- DC

20 June 2015

Ruth 1; 2

Isaiah 44

Jude 1  

"BUILDING YOURSELVES UP ..."

What fascinating, and in a sense ‘beautiful’ chapters we read today – they inspire and challenge us.  First we have the example of the faithfulness of Ruth – and the result is she herself receives blessings and encouragement – finding favour in the eyes of Boaz. 

Then we have the heart challenging 44th chapter of Isaiah which describes the folly of making and worshipping idols.  There is a lesson here for all today – and while physical idols are not made, ‘human idols’ are ‘worshipped’ - especially by the young.  “A deluded heart has led him (them) astray.” [isaiah 44:20] Nearly everyone is deluded into thinking there is no God, so they indulge in forms of human ‘idol’ worship.  But Isaiah 44:21-28 of this chapter is a vision of the God "who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself ..." [isaiah 44:24] 

Astronomers have discovered the endless spreading out of the heavens - but how few use their minds to 'see' there must be a Creator.  

Finally we have the 'powerful' and 'challenging' 25 verses that make up the entire epistle of Jude.  The first verses indicate he was a "brother of James" and therefore another half-brother of Jesus. His letter is an appeal to "contend for the faith that was once for all delivered ..." [Jude 3] because of "ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality ..." [Jude 3-4]

The message is so appropriate for today.  Jude is inspired to predict that "In the last time there will be scoffers ... But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life." [Jude 18-21]

We think of that as 'holiness of spirit' in total contrast to the fleshly 'spirit' that surrounds us. Think through what Paul told the Romans, "you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons ... we cry, ‘Abba! Father!’  The Spirit ... bears witness with our spirit (mind)  that we are children of God,  and if children, then heirs­heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ" [Romans 8:15-17]   

So let us make every effort, every day  to practice "building ourselves up".  

-------

- DC

21 June 2015

Ruth 3; 4

Isaiah 45

Revelation 1; 2  

“I AM HE WHO SEARCHES”                                                                                                                  

Jesus once said, “You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life” [John 5:39]  He was talking to the religious leaders, and his comment implies they were reading and searching the Scriptures with the wrong motive!   In the previous verse we read that he said, “you do not have his word abiding in you.”   God’s word is a ‘living’ word through which believers have been born again as a result of that “word” abiding in them, as we read last week ­ 1 Peter 1:23.  We must have the right attitude if it is to “live” in our minds.

These thoughts were prompted by the final special message from Jesus which we read today in the book of Revelation.  To believers at Thyatira he made a statement which all believers need to contemplate from their hearts!  He said,  “and all the churches will know that I am he who searches mind and heart and I will give to each of you as your works deserve” [Revelation 2:23] So, just as human beings search the divine word to know God’s thoughts and, in some cases (e.g. the Pharisees) misuse and maybe misunderstand what they find because their motives are wrong, so also, our Lord searches both “mind and heart” to see how we understand and use his word!   

We are reminded of Romans 10:8-11, “with the heart one believes and is justified”.  It is also out of the heart that bad things can come, as Jesus said (see Mark 7:21-22)  We can work out what to believe intellectually, but is our “heart” working in harmony with our mind?  In Thyatira there was a “prophetess … teaching and seducing my servants to practice sexual immorality” [Revelation 2:20]. Jesus gives her “time to repent” but she does not.  

Our Lord is searching our hearts and minds and he knows he is going to find situations which are not perfect.  But they, the more they develop a real relationship with him in heart and mind, will then in the time to come be seen as being among those who “keep my works unto the end” [Revelation 2:26].  They will receive his grace and mercy in the end and will be given great responsibility in his kingdom. 

Indeed, says Jesus, “I will give him authority over the nations” [Revelation 2:26]. He even says, “To the one who conquers (overcomes) I will grant him to sit with me on my throne” [Revelation 3:21]  Let us deeply ponder that key verse again, “I am he who searches mind and heart and I will give to each of you as your works deserve.” 

-------

- DC

22 June 2015

1 Samuel 1

Isaiah 46; 47

Revelation 3; 4  

"THOSE WHOM I LOVE, I …"

We have commented before that each of the letters that were sent by Christ to the 7 ecclesias (as recorded in Revelation 2; 3) begins with, "I know your works."  How did Jesus "know"? It just might be that modern inventions can help us to sense a little, the all-seeing all-knowing power that God built into his creation – powers that are now also exercised by his Son.  There used to be and maybe still is - in a few homes a sign saying that -  Christ is the unseen listener to every conversation here.

Do we still believe that Christ, now blessed with the powers of the Father, can now, as Paul told the men of Athens,  do as God could?  That he "is actually not far from each one of us, for 'In him we live and move and have our being'" [Acts 17:27-28]  

The last of the letters to the 7 ecclesias [Revelation 3:14-15] describes Jesus telling the believers in Laodicea, "I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! ... because you are lukewarm ... I will spit you out of my mouth."  Would this message 'fit' any of us?  Has the freezing cold of the world made us lukewarm?  Each community of believers, and individual, must judge for themselves as to where they stand today in the sight of their Saviour. 

We cannot imagine that anyone thinks of themselves as 'cold' in a spiritual sense - but, it is plain that 'hot' means we are 'living' with a burning sense of dedication and commitment - as happened on 'the day of Pentecost!  What commitment the 3,000 baptised then would have had! [Acts 2]

Jesus tells those in Laodicea, and surely says the same to us, "Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. The one who conquers, I will grant … to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne." [Revelation 3:19-21] Let us all make sure we can "hear" his voice by reading and meditating on his word every day and gain the strength to “conquer” the distractions and temptations our world puts constantly before us. 

-------

- DC

23 June 2015

1 Samuel 2

Isaiah 48

Revelation 5; 6  

“MY HEART EXULTS” 

Today, in 1 Samuel 2 we read Hannah's prayer of thanksgiving after Samuel was born. There are several parallels between her words  and the words of Mary in her 'song' when she visited Elizabeth [Luke 1:48-55] 

Hannah's prayer starts,  "My heart exults in the LORD; my horn is exalted in the LORD. My mouth derides my enemies, because I rejoice in your salvation.  There is none holy like the LORD: for there is none besides you; there is no rock like our God."

Her words are inspirational for us - her perception of the will and ways of the LORD - can, when read carefully and prayerfully - stir the depths of our minds - our thinking - and resultant meditation. 

Hannah perceives, as she prays, "... let not arrogance come from your mouth; for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed." [1 Samuel 2:3] 

What does it mean, "a God of knowledge"?  Our thoughts go to a familiar verse we read in Isaiah 11:9 recently, a vision of the kingdom, "They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea."   This is surely a 'knowing', a full ‘awareness’ of the LORD!   Hannah senses, the Creator had been fully aware of her and her heartfelt prayer. 

With all her heart she now said, 'My heart exults in the LORD' - those words, and those that follow should be an inspiration to us. The climax of her words [1 Samuel 2:9-10] had an initial application to what was to happen to Eli's godless sons - but they have an even greater application to what is to happen to our utterly godless world; but her inspired prayer also indicates how those faithful to him will be guarded!   Ponder her final words! 

"He will guard the feet of his faithful ones, but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness, for not by might shall a man prevail. The adversaries of the LORD shall be broken to pieces; against them he will thunder in heaven. The LORD will judge the ends of the earth ..."  Her next and final words, picture the kingdom age! "he will give strength to his king and exalt the horn of his anointed."  May we each say, "My heart exults" as we read these words, making sure our “feet” are on the narrow path.

-------

- DC

24 June 2015

1 Samuel 3

Isaiah 49

Revelation 7; 8; 9  

“WOE, WOE, WOE”                       

The final message of Jesus in Revelation has caused much heart searching to believers in every generation.  Its wonderful visions of an ultimate age of perfection and glory are balanced by the awesome woes pronounced against a most ungodly world before that age of perfection begins.  For many in this present age, especially the young, it is hard to relate to the woes and disasters which many chapters picture.  For one thing they are portrayed in largely symbolic language, for another, most true believers in the present generation have not personally experienced fearful living situations. 

Some of our generation can remember childhood situations, as we did, when life was far less certain. For example, huddled into shelters with schoolmates because of “flying bombs.”  The urgent noise of anti-aircraft guns from across the road trying to shoot down enemy planes.  Much of the world since those days has lived through the longest period of “peace” in human history. But has it really been ‘peace’ – because there was no ‘world’ war? 

We are living at a time, as never before, when awesome weapons of mass destruction exist with powerful rockets able to deliver them quite apart from atomic weapons.  We also see increasing political instability and disharmony and fighting between nations and the rise of openly militant elements within Islam: an impotent “dis-United Nations” is unable to do anything other than talk.  

We read in Revelation yesterday how “the sky vanished like a scroll that is being rolled up … then the kings of the earth and the great ones and the generals and the rich and powerful … hid themselves … from him who is on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb for the great day of their wrath has come and who is able to stand? [Revelation 6:14-17].  Today we read, “Woe, woe, woe to those who dwell on the earth” [Revelation 8:13], and the people who suffer that “Woe” are “those people who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads.” [Revelation 9:4]  

But those who do have that seal “are before the throne of God … for the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd and he will guide them to springs of living water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.” [Revelation 7:15,17]  Let us all make sure we have “the seal of God” – a seal is used to illustrate ownership. True believers are ‘owned’ by God, his Spirit watches over them; Paul told the Ephesians, “do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.”  

-------

- DC

25 June 2015

1 Samuel 4

Isaiah 50

Revelation 10; 11  

"HOW TO SUSTAIN HIM WHO IS WEARY"

We have some fascinating chapters today. First, in 1 Samuel 4 there is the crisis when the Philistines capture the ark, taken into battle because the Israelites think its’ presence will give them victory.  We ponder the lesson here; do any of us have a Bible in our home because the possession of it will give us salvation?  Do we leave it on the shelf day after day?

Isaiah 50 has some challenging questions! "Thus says the LORD ...  why, when I called, was there no one to answer?" [isaiah 50:1-2] The prophet says, "The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him who is weary ..." [isaiah 50:4]

Listen to the words of God's prophet and you will be strengthened to endure the weariness of this life and help others. His next words are "Morning by morning he awakens; he awakens my ear to hear ..." No one had books in those days, learning (except for a privileged one or two) was done by hearing. With what urgency would those who were seeking guidance listen to Isaiah and other prophets of the LORD and try to memorise what they heard!  Compare that with attitudes today! 

The next verse gives us Isaiah's reaction, "The Lord GOD has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious; I turned not backward." We are not rebellious, but do we go forward? Does God's word "awaken" us so we are ready and thinking and meditating each morning?  Or do we just try to fit it in when we can spare the time? The verse which follows [isaiah 50:6] shows it was fulfilled in the experience of Jesus, he set the example.    

Finally Revelation 11 pictures the time (how close now?) when "The nations raged, but your wrath came, and the time for the dead to be judged, and for rewarding .... those who fear your name ..." [Revelation 11:18] Let us genuinely fear (be in awe) of all that God and Jesus are!  Can we even begin to visualize them!?  We need to try (in our minds’ eye) - only then can we "know how to sustain with a word him who is weary"  because we have genuinely built upon God's word, we have answered when God called. 

-------

- DC