TFTBR - March 2015

Resource Manager

26 March 2015

Numbers 7 

Proverbs 4 

Luke 18  

"WILL HE FIND FAITH ON THE EARTH?"

This is a question Jesus asked, we read it in Luke 18 today, it comes at the end of his parable about a judge who was lazy and who would not at first stir himself to give justice to a widow and, it was only because she kept coming to him, that he finally give her the justice she deserved. Then Jesus draws the lesson "Hear what the unrighteous judge says.  And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them?  I tell you, he will give justice to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?" [Luke 18:6-8] 

Do we fully understand the lesson Jesus is teaching?   Actually it is plainly stated in the first verse!  Jesus "told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart."  The way he ends the parable with the question as to whether there will still be any faith left on the earth when he comes - is a question aimed directly at us! 

We must first ask ourselves a simple question - 'What is faith?'   Is this easy to answer?  James in his epistle says we show our faith by what it causes us to do!  He first says "the testing of your faith" is to produce "steadfastness" and we must "let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." [James 1:3-4] Let us now think deeply about James 1:12 "Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him."

For us in these last and ever more godless days this observation of James is extremely challenging - how well are we standing up to the test?   Are we compromising?  Such is the weakness of human nature the inclination to do this must be there - and can only increase - unless!   Unless what?   Unless we make every effort, prayerfully to develop a real and full faith - and come as close as possible to our Lord, so that it can be truly said, and we can also feel, that "in him we live and move and have our being" as Paul told the Athenians [Acts 17:28], May we all be among  those who "feel their way toward him and find him" [Acts 17:27], so that there is a positive answer to Jesus’ question.  

Do we believe we are part of "his elect"? Are we ready to really "cry out to him". so that he "will … find faith on earth" when he returns. Are we fully conscious of the reality of the fact, as we recently read in David’s declaration at the start of Psalm 139, “O LORD, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.” Let us so think and live and pray so that our Lord “will … find faith on the earth” at his coming – and how soon is that going to be! 

-------

- DC

27 March 2015

Numbers 8; 9 

Proverbs 5 

Luke 19 

"NOW THEY ARE HIDDEN... "

As we continue our readings in Luke we see that the ministry of Jesus is approaching its climax - and we increasingly sense an approaching climax in our days.  This prompted our thoughts yesterday and does so again today.  Luke 19 describes the final week or two in the ministry of Jesus; his disciples could sense a climax was coming; but, although he told them, "they understood none of these things" (as we read yesterday in Luke 18:34)

Today we read how "when he drew near and saw the city, he wept over it,  saying, ‘Would that you, even you, had known on this day the things that make for peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes.’" [Luke 19:41-42]  Those who know the prophecies of the last days can see parallels with the blindness of the vast majority of people today - despite God's word now being available in every language. 

Jesus foretells the destruction of the Temple when Israel's "enemies will set up a barricade around you and surround you .... And they will not leave one stone upon another in you, because you did not know the time of your visitation." [Luke 19:43-44]  The lesson for us is obvious, maybe too obvious!? 

On Sunday we will read Luke 21 and the prediction of Jesus that the Jews will "be led captive among all nations, and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled." [Luke 21:24] The verses which follow are ominous.  But now it is the turn of the Gentiles to be blind to what is about to happen!  We can see "they are hidden" from them.  

Our generation is going to be shocked, just as the Jews were!  No, even more so,  because the Creator will use some of the unlimited powers at his disposal to bring our godless world to its knees. Those who are truly God’s people will heed his words through Isaiah, “Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the fury has passed by. For behold, the LORD is coming out from his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity.” [isaiah 26:20-21] See also Zephaniah, the end of Zephaniah 1 and the first 3 verses of chapter 2 [Zephaniah 2:1-3].

But the coming wonders Jesus foretells is not hidden from those who are 'the children of the day' - and soon they will be able to "rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they (are seeing),  saying, "Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"  [Luke 19:37-38] Will we be among them?  We make the answer now - and an answer of true faith is sure to bring us into this wondrous experience - and the wonders that will follow. 

-------

- DC

28 March 2015

Numbers 10 

Proverbs 6 

Luke 20 

"ARISE O LORD AND LET ..."

There are many ‘rich’ thoughts for our meditation in all our readings today. In Numbers we read of the organisation of the newly formed nation of Israel to start on their journey into the promised land.  It was carefully organised with the Levites taking a leading role to carry the ark and the many parts of the tabernacle and all the things associated with it.  Each tribe had their part assigned to them. What were their feelings as they headed for the promised land, the direct route would have taken them there in a few weeks. 

We are going to see how nearly all of them had no clear vision or anticipation despite the wonders of the previous 14 months; they were living for the present, what a comparison with today! How much are we enslaved to the way of life that surrounds us? For many of us it is diverse, interesting, and for some, exciting!  

We read, "So they set out from the mount of the LORD" [Numbers 10:33], Sinai, and  "Moses said, 'Arise, O LORD, and let your enemies be scattered, and let those who hate you flee before you.'  And when the Ark rested, he said, 'Return, O LORD, to the ten thousand thousands of Israel.'"  This is surely a prototype of the future actions of our Lord, a greater ‘Moses’ who was to "become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God" [Hebrews 2:17] for those who genuinely follow him.  Sadly few of the Israelites continued to faithfully follow Moses.

Proverbs 6 today  tells us "the commandment (of the LORD) is a lamp and the teaching a light, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life ..." [Proverbs 6:23]  We are blessed to have the whole of God's word to provide us with a "lamp" and a "light" to train us in following the right "way of life."

Then in Luke 20 we read about the confrontation Jesus had with the Sadducees who deny there is a resurrection.  Our Lord said that for those raised to life again marriage will be a thing of the past!  

He gives us this vision! "Those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage, for they cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection." [Luke 20:35-36]  Let us say and pray, "Arise O LORD, and let " your will be done, firstly in scattering your enemies especially those who do not even believe you exist, and then "make your enemies your footstool." [Luke 20:43] May that be soon – and may we, by his grace, be there. 

-------

- DC

29 March 2015

Numbers 11 

Proverbs 7 

Luke 21  

“DISTRESS OF NATIONS IN PERPLEXITY”                                                                                            

There is a remarkable amount of perplexity among the nations today.  Somehow, now that the USA has to some degree lost its political influence and desire to be physically involved, this has increased. Today’s reading in Luke 21 tells us that Jesus said that his return to the earth would follow a time of “distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves.” [Luke 21:25]

The threat of roaring seas, tsunamis and powerful cyclones, now cause increasing anxieties. Men have put in place warning systems, but that does not stop them happening! However, we suspect that the words, as do several others things Jesus said, reflect words written in the Old Testament and indicate even greater distresses.  

Look at the language in Psalm 46. “we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though the waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling … the nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts … Come, behold the works of the LORD, how he has wrought desolations on the earth” Great earthquakes!?  But then after that – a wonderful prophecy! We read, “he makes wars cease to the end of the earth … [Psalm 46:2,3,6,8,9].

Just as one is able to pick out the prophecies that were fulfilled at the first coming of Jesus and in the destruction of Jerusalem because they rejected him -, so we now ponder those that we judge must apply to his second coming.  Jesus went on to speak of “people fainting with fear and foreboding of what is coming on the world” [Luke 21:26]. 

But those who know God’s word will take to heart the words of Jesus that follow. “Now when these things begin to take place, straighten up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near” [Luke 21:28]    

Returning to Psalm 46, take special note of the positive message in the last 2 verses, “Be still and know that I am God, I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.” [Psalm 46:10-11]  Is he your fortress?  Will you be able to “be still” when the turmoil in our world gets greater? We are in awe of the picture painted of Christ’s actions at his return in Revelation 19! “From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations … He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty.  On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.” [Revelation 19:15-16] These symbolic words are about literal events!  Truly it will be a time of “distress of nations with perplexity”   But let us note one of the last things that Paul told true believers was, “if we endure, we will also reign with him” [2 Timothy 2:12]  Let us team together more fervently than ever to help each other “endure”.

-------

- DC

30 March 2015

Numbers 12; 13 

Proverbs 8; 9 

Luke 22 

"I LOVE THOSE WHO LOVE ME"

All of our readings today are intensely challenging and rewarding – a great source for genuine spiritual meditation. In Leviticus we read of the failure of the faith of the people of Israel when most of those sent to spy out the promised land bring in seriously discouraging reports.  In Luke we read of Peter's failure of faith when confronted with an overwhelming crisis; the arrest of his Lord!  He and his fellow disciples had their minds focussed on the “time .. the kingdom would be restored” [Acts 1:6] And that is our focus in 2015.  

But it is Proverbs, from which Jesus 'mined' the principles behind several of his parables, that really challenged us this morning. There is  a key proverb which says, "I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me. Riches and honour are with me, enduring wealth and righteousness.  My fruit is better than gold ..." [Proverbs 8:17-19]

What are we giving total priority to in our seeking? – doing so because we have come to love it?  What produces more "fruit" – that is, a greater reward, than gold does? The personifications continues, "I walk in the way of righteousness, in the paths of justice, granting an inheritance to those who love me"  [Proverbs 8:20-21]  It is something that needs to be 'walked in' - some special kind of pathway in life!   It describes a continuing experience that needs to be fully developed – and then it will be fully appreciated – and bring a full reward.

Proverbs 8:22 tells us, "The LORD possessed me at the beginning of his work ... Ages ago I was set up, at the first, before the beginning of the earth." [Proverbs 8:23] It led to all the incredible wonders of creation – the full extent of which are only now being appreciated.

There is so much food for thought and meditation here that these proverbs can threaten to be overwhelming!  Solomon is personifying true wisdom - the wonder of fully wise ways of living - in our decision making in our pathway - day after day. His sons failed to walk in them – we are in danger of similarly failing.

May we "walk" in these 'paths' and 'ways' day after day and be rewarded by being granted "the inheritance promised … to those who love me."  Let us accept the opportunity to develop more and more God given "wisdom" through regularly nourishing our minds on his word, indeed, doing so day after day, laying the only genuine foundation for that wisdom. Finally, think of how it will be the principle by which God’s kingdom will operate!  Will you and I help our Lord at that time?  We ‘make’ the answer now!  

-------

- DC

31 March 2015

Numbers 14

Proverbs 10

Luke 23 

“JESUS, REMEMBER ME WHEN ..."

Today we read the familiar story of the trial and crucifixion of Jesus.  Our Creator has seen to it that 4 records have been written and preserved  so that we can, by putting them together, gain a comprehensive picture of events, enabling us to make what happened come fully alive in our minds. 

Luke provides us with more details of the two criminals crucified with Jesus.  One appeals to him "saying, "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!" [Luke 23:39].  But the other admits that they are suffering "justly" and "receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong." [Luke 23:41]  

Then he says a remarkable thing that leads us to conclude that he had at some stage been sufficiently a follower of Jesus to know - and believe - what he taught.  The words recorded in Luke 23:42-43 show this. Unfortunately translators, influenced by the 'christian' beliefs developed in later Centuries under the influence of the mass forced conversions of pagans in the 4th Century when Emperor Constantine  became a 'christian', wrongly punctuate the words as they appear in the English Bible: we now give the correct punctuation of what Jesus said in answer to this criminals’ request,  "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." 

Jesus responds,  "Truly, I say to you today,  you will be with me in Paradise."  [Luke 23:42-43] "Paradise" describes the condition developed on earth when Jesus returns to establish his kingdom, the wonderful  time of reward for those who follow him in truth, trying to live more and more like him now. See Revelation 2:7

The Apostle Paul had this hope, this expectation; just about the final words he wrote were, "the time of my departure has come ... I have kept the faith.  Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing." [2 Timothy 4:6-8]   May we hold and keep the same faith ... so that Jesus will remember us when he comes to established his kingdom.

-------

- DC