TFTBR - March 2015

Resource Manager

01 March 2015

Leviticus 5; 6

Psalms 105

1 Corinthians 14

"IT IS SHAMEFUL FOR A WOMAN TO …"                                                                                  

We reflected at length on the verse that includes the above quotation in reading 1 Corinthians 14 today.  So many churches, apart from the Catholic church, now allow women to speak, and in some cases take quite prominent roles. The words, “it is shameful for a woman to speak in church” are in 1 Corinthians 14:35. Have we taken the quotation out of its context? The previous verse says, “the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says.”  We conclude this means ‘silent’ in the sense of not addressing the congregation. 1 Corinthians 14:29-33 are about “prophets” speaking “and let the others weigh what is being said”.

Do we understand what prophets were in the early church?  While there are one or two occasions where there is a prophet in the N T that predicted the future [Acts 21:10-11), its primary meaning, as is the meaning here, is the expounding of God’s word. 1 Corinthians 14:31 says, “you can all prophecy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged” [1 Corinthians 14:31].

Returning to our thoughts on the role of women, we see the part they played in the life of Jesus, noting that all his disciples were men and he sent as many as 72 out two by two to preach [Luke 10]. There is just one passage which seems to be constantly quoted by those who seek to justify seeing an equal role for women in the church.  This is Galatians 3:27-28 where Paul writes, “For as many of you as were baptised into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.”

What does he mean “neither male nor female”?  We noted he also said, “neither slave or free.”  Does a slave, when he or she is baptised into Christ now have equality in this life with those who are free? Of course not, it is clear that the sense in which they are one, is that they together have all become children of God and are all heirs together “of the grace of life” [1 Peter 3:7]. The same principle applies to men and women. 

Finally, the last verse in today’s reading tells us, “all things should be done decently and in order”  We must respect the order that was established in that first generation that laid the foundation for us to follow today. “It is shameful” that so few now follow the foundation that was established in the First Century.

-------

- DC

02 March 2015

Leviticus 7

Psalms 106

1 Corinthians 15  

“OF FIRST IMPORTANCE”

Our Psalms reading (106) is a survey of God's dealings with Israel - above all of his mercy toward them: it ends with a petition, "Save us, O LORD our God, and gather us from among the nations" [Psalm 106:47] - and he is doing this! 

Then in 1 Corinthians 15 we read Paul's wonderful portrayal of God's salvation for individuals.  It is one of the most meaningful and inspiring chapters in the whole of the scriptures.  It starts, "Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand,  and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you" 

Are we holding fast to Paul's inspired message - it unfolds in inspiring detail when we put all his letters together.  He tells the Corinthians, "I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures,  that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures ..." [1 Corinthians 15:3-4] These Scriptures are, of course, the Old Testament but until he was converted Paul was blind to their reference to Christ, his work and his resurrection and ultimate role on earth. David's Psalms are a wonderful starting point for us in searching these Scriptures, e,g, Psalm 2:7; 16:10-12.

Our studies in the Old Testament are an essential foundation to our full understanding of the New Testament and God's ultimate purpose in bringing glory to the world through the resurrection of those who take on His Son's name through baptism - and remain faithful.  Christ is "the first fruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ. " [1 Corinthians 15:23].  But what of those who are alive when he returns? 

Paul says [1 Corinthians 15:51] "Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,  in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet." We know not how close we are to the sounding of that last trumpet - in some ways it seems awesomely close!  But the last verse in the chapter is a most appropriate final thought, it is essential we all have this fully in mind - "Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labour is not in vain." 

We cannot be half-hearted, half-committed – our faithful labours will bring an eternal reward – far beyond our comprehension now. Recall what we read in 1 Corinthians 2:9 “no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” 

-------

- DC

03 March 2015

Leviticus 8 

Psalms 107 

1 Corinthians 16  

“IF ANYONE HAS NO LOVE” 

We read 3 days ago in 1 Corinthians 13 that faith, hope and love are the 3 things that last, that abide. These are the foundation attitudes today in the lives of genuine follows of Christ. Everything else is built on this foundation. But in the end hope will be realized, faith fulfilled and turned to sight.  But love will be the principle for living that will last for ever!   And now today, we read in the final verses of this letter that Paul, after stating, "I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand," he says, " If anyone has no love for the Lord, let him be accursed. Our Lord, come! " [1 Corinthians 16:21-22]

Think deeply about that, love is an active principle, it is far more than words – how are you and I showing our love for our Lord?   For many in our world today, it is largely  a casually used word of no special significance!  'I love doing this - or - eating that!'  

May that not be so among genuine believers whose thoughts and meditations are inspired by their daily reading of God's word. We will see in Paul’s 2nd letter his dedication toward the believers in Corinth, imagine the earnestness in his mind as he then wrote, "I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls. If I love you more, am I to be loved less?" [2 Corinthians 12:15] In his first letter to Timothy Paul said, “The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.” [1 Timothy 1:5] Three things that are the springboards for genuine love.  What a struggle to achieve that today!  No doubt it was difficult in those days! 

And what about Peter?  He was probably in Jerusalem as the Roman armies closed in (there is no evidence he was ever in Rome) He wrote, “The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.   Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.” [1 Peter 4:7-8]  The “end of all things” seems increasingly close at hand for us – therefore let us particularly heed these words of Peter.

Back in today's chapter - let's memorise the powerful points Paul makes in  1 Corinthians 16:13-14, "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.  Let all that you do be done in love" because “if anyone has no love …”

-------

- DC

04 March 2015

Leviticus 9; 10 

Psalms 108; 109 

2 Corinthians 1; 2  

"FOR WE ARE THE AROMA OF CHRIST"

Some people, especially the wealthy, spend much money to acquire expensive perfume. Why?  They like to smell really nice as well as to look attractive. Such put an emphasis on "outward adorning" - but far less - on 'inward adorning' forgetting this is what God looks to see.  Sadly, such people have no awe of God in their minds.

There is increasing failure to be aware and therefore be in awe of God's all seeing eyes. But we must act in the way he instructs, this has been the downfall of many. This failure can occur among those who have genuine contact with God, we read an example of this today in Leviticus.  Aaron's 2 oldest sons took it upon themselves to make an offering "before the LORD, which he had not commanded them.  And fire came out from before the LORD and consumed them ..." [Leviticus 10:1-2] After this "Moses said to Aaron, "This is what the LORD has said: 'Among those who are near me I will be sanctified, and before all the people I will be glorified.'" [Leviticus 10:3]  

There is a most serious lesson here for all who see themselves as serving God.  First, it is vital to believe and worship as shown in God's word - and also to make sure there is no emphasis on outward show. Early in Paul's 2nd letter to the Corinthians he expresses his concern over the attitude of some and their poor influence. He uses the language of spiritual perfume - how it can be either good or bad,  The good is wonderful. Paul says, "thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads ... and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere." [2 Corinthians 2:14]  Is there a sense of spiritual “fragrance” in our message – or just a stating of the true facts? 

Believers who develop a genuine Christ like mind cannot help but show this in all they say and do.  “For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved", says Paul - and also "among those who are perishing" - being a warning and a challenge to them to change.  We must not be "like so many, peddlers of God's word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ." [2 Corinthians 2:17]   Working for Christ has no comparison with running a business, that it is why it is so wise we do not have paid preachers. 

Paul is the ultimate example for us in being "the aroma of Christ" - and as he made his farewell visit to some believers, his words should be an inspiration to us: " And now, behold, I know that none of you among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom will see my face again.  Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all,  for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God." [Acts 20:25-27]

-------

- DC

05 March 2015

Leviticus 11 

Psalms 110; 111; 112

2 Corinthians 3; 4  

“BEING RENEWED DAY BY DAY”

Our Leviticus chapter (11) goes into great detail about the need for cleanliness, but it was not until about 200 years ago that our world started to became conscious of the cause of so much of the disease they experienced - with the resultant deaths.   But as people  began to live longer lives those who knew their Bible's realized the significance of the cleanliness laws God gave through Moses.  But in our world today, we see the lack of practicing the even greater principles in life!  This is - spiritual cleanliness.  This is a major lesson we gain from our chapters today in Paul's 2nd letter to the Corinthians.

The 3rd chapter draws the lesson of the contrast between the Old Covenant through Moses, which Paul calls a "ministry of death carved in letters on stone" [2 Corinthians 3:7] which, although it possessed a certain kind of "glory ... was being brought to an end" and "what once had glory has come to have no glory at all, because of the glory that surpasses it." [2 Corinthians 3:10] 

The Law given to Moses was a law to govern a nation, but of how much more value is the 'glory' revealed in Christ, it is for us individually - "And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed ... Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart." [2 Corinthians 3:18-4:1 - ignore the chapter break].  We must note the point Paul next stresses, "We refuse ...  to tamper with God's word, ... for what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake." [2 Corinthians 4:2-5] 

Paul builds up his reasoning to a really powerful point, "So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day." [2 Corinthians 4:16]  Our daily Bible reading - and heart searchings from what we read - must be a central part of that renewal, noting what we also read today in Psalm 111, "I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation.  Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them." [Psalm 111:1-2]  May we all whole-heartedly agree with the Psalmist.

-------

- DC

06 March 2015

Leviticus 12; 13 

Psalms 113; 114 

2 Corinthians 5; 6; 7  

"WORKING TOGETHER WITH HIM"

Paul's 2nd letter to the Corinthians has several sections that are very emotional, he is involved from his heart in his relationship with them. This is an example for us: believers in Christ are not just united intellectually because they agree on the correct way to understand God's word; this agreement lays the foundation, an essential foundation for a fully committed relationship! 

It is vital that they build on this foundation so as to have a 'living' relationship with their Lord - and with one another.  They are not 'saved' because they have a correct understanding, altho' this is vital, but because of God's grace.  They are, as a result, Paul tells the Corinthians (and us) "working together with him" [2 Corinthians 6:1] that is, with God.

"We appeal to you" says Paul, "not to receive the grace of God in vain."  But for God's "grace" no one would have the privilege of "working together with him."  And what a wondrous experience this develops into the more we work together with him!  Paul is the outstanding example of this. 

The chapter ends with a remarkable quotation that we will soon read in Leviticus.  Moses conveyed to the people in the wilderness the wonderful relationship they should realize they were having in working together with the one true God. They were becoming a spiritual Temple, if their minds had "eyes" to perceive this (see Ephesians 1:16-18), "For  we are the temple of the living God," says Paul. And then he quotes from Leviticus 26:12. 

"I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.  Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them ... then I will welcome you,  and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."  

Most Israelites failed to live up to this invitation and the wilderness claimed their lives. And now we have our own godless wilderness in 2015.  Let us succeed where they failed, let us have a clear vision of “things that are unseen,” for they ”are eternal” wrote Paul [2 Corinthians 4:18]. Let God's word really come alive in our minds. Let us find Paul's next words (the start of 2 Corinthians 7) particularly inspiring. "Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God."

-------

- DC

07 March 2015

Leviticus 14 

Psalms 115; 116 

2 Corinthians 8; 9  

"WHOEVER SOWS SPARINGLY" 

We read at some length today  Paul's encouragement to the Corinthians in his 2nd letter, to be generous in helping others in need.  It is clear that at this stage the Corinthians were reasonably well blessed  with all that was needed in daily living.  Paul comments to them, "… your abundance at the present time should supply their need that there may be fairness."  " [2 Corinthians 8:13-14]  Paul then adds an example from the experiences in the wilderness journeys with Moses, he writes, "As it is written, "Whoever gathered much had nothing left over, and whoever gathered little had no lack." [2 Corinthians 8:15, we read this last month, see Exodus 16:18]   

In 2 Corinthians 9 Paul observes the value of that which is given "as a willing gift, not as an exaction" [2 Corinthians 9:5] and then says, "The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you ..." [2 Corinthians 9:6-8]  The ultimate time of reaping what we have sown may not be far distant. Paul told the Galatians, “whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.” [Galatians 6:7-8]

Some churches practice tithing - also have a Pastor or Minister system where one or several are in charge – which usually means tithing is needed and it is no longer a matter of each making up their own mind.  For such, the spirit that Paul fostered among the first generations has been lost - as also has been the earnestness of believing the gospel as it was originally taught. We recall the warning that he gave in the final chapter of the last letter he wrote at the end of his life: "people will not endure sound teaching ... they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,  and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths." [2 Timothy 4:3-4]  And so it is today when we also have the modern myth of evolution.

Finally, a glance at the Psalm we read today, "I said in my alarm, "All mankind are liars. What shall I render to the LORD for all his benefits to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD .." [Psalm 116:12-13]  One of our "gifts" are offerings we give of our own freewill, appreciating all the benefits we have had and are having, and these are usually far more than monetary ones.

-------

- DC

08 March 2015

Leviticus 15

Psalms 117; 118

2 Corinthians 10; 11 

“UNCLEAN, UNCLEAN” 

A person with leprosy in Bible times was expected to cry out “Unclean, unclean” so that people would know not to touch him or her for fear of contagion and their own infection.  The word ‘Leprosy’ covers a multitude of skin infections, some serious, some not and we read in the last 2 days in Leviticus of the Priest’s responsibility in determining which were serious and the action to prevent infections  from spreading.  

Today’s chapter [Leviticus 15] is about the precautions to be taken with sick people and others who had bodily discharges with the object of preventing the spread of other infections and disease.  We also read that if those unclean with a “discharge” touch anyone “without having rinsed their hands in water” then the person touched is also regarded unclean until the evening and needs to “wash his clothes and bathe himself” [Leviticus 15:11] They also had to cleanse the drinking and other vessels they used.

It is only about 200 years since our world discovered how infections spread and the great importance of hygiene; before then countless needless deaths and plagues occurred. In the 19th Century we read that a few medical men, suddenly realizing that the Bible had such laws given by God through Moses 3,500 years ago became convinced it really was a divine revelation from God and some followed the way of life and belief found in the Bible.

In recent months the ‘Ebola’ disease in parts of West Africa has claimed many lives – and the lack of cleanliness enabled it to spread easily.  It now seems to be slowly coming under control.  Although they do not actually cry “Unclean, Unclean” these days, such an approach is in effect being practiced to contain the disease – as the first step in eliminating it.  

In today’s 2nd Corinthians reading in chapter 11 we see a spiritual counterpart as Paul laments that some were easily “led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.”  He then writes, “if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus that the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough.” [2 Corinthians 11:3-5]  He then makes the point, “such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.” [2 Corinthians 11:13] 

Sadly; it is the same today – and many accept an “unclean” gospel – but some, by God’s grace, come to realize this and go through a cleansing process. In God’s kingdom, we are bluntly told in the 2nd last chapter of the Bible [Revelation 21:27] “nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.”  

-------

- DC

09 March 2015

Leviticus 16

Psalms 119:1-40

2 Corinthians 12; 13 

"I WILL FIX MY EYES …" 

Today we started reading the longest ‘chapter’ in the Bible – Psalm 119.  And what an inspiring testimony it is to the wonder of the relationship we can develop with our Creator.

“In the way of your testimonies I delight … I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.  I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word." [Psalm 119:14-16]

And what better way to make sure we do not 'forget' God's "word" than to start each day by reading at least some portion of it - the Psalms being a most meaningful and fruitful source!  

We keep our "way pure" [Psalm 119:9] how?  This verse gives the answer, "By guarding it according to your word."  We must not do this half-heartedly or develop a sense of ritual. The next verse challenges us by starting, "With my whole heart I seek you" Can we genuinely say that?   Our Lord has no time for those who are half committed - if we want to keep one foot in "the world" - he has no time for us.      

"Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart ... Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things" [Psalm 119:34,37]    When we come to the Proverbs later this month, we must highlight Proverbs 4:24-26, "Put away from you crooked speech, and put devious talk far from you. Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you.  Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure."  We need to achieve that surety more than ever today!

We can  parallel these thoughts with those of Paul as we read his final words to the Corinthians, "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all."  The way the CEVersion puts that final phrase appeals to us, "may the Holy Spirit join all your hearts together" - and we can add, and 'fix the eyes of all our hearts on His word'  (see Ephesians 1:18). 

-------

- DC

10 March 2015

Leviticus 17; 18 

Psalms 119:41-80 

Luke 1  

“SO KEEP MY CHARGE NEVER TO …”                                                                                       

Leviticus does not make pleasant reading, but there are many things in the Bible which make us feel uncomfortable – for our own good.  We could not fail to notice, in reading Leviticus 18, the parallel with much of human behaviour today.   The LORD tells Moses about his abhorrence of many of the ways of life in Egypt – and in leaving Egypt, God expected his people to leave that way of life behind.  Leviticus 18 ends with the words, “So keep my charge never to practice any of these abominable customs that were practiced before you, and never make yourselves unclean by them.  I am the LORD your God.”  

What were these abominable customs?   One was, “You shall not lie (have sex) with a male as with a woman.” [Leviticus 18:22]  There is also a long list of sexual relationships which are wrong.  God says, “You shall not do as they do in the land of Egypt, where you lived, and you shall not do as they do in the land of Canaan to which I am bringing you …. For by all these, the nations I am driving out before you have become unclean” [Leviticus 18:3,24]  

Our world today has become more than ever unclean in the sight of God – and he charges us, that is, demands of us, than we stay “clean”.      This is the spiritual hygiene which we saw emphasized yesterday as we started reading Psalm 119.  We read more of this today and we see that David was conscious that his ways needed some cleansing for he writes, “When I think of my ways, I turn my feet to your testimonies; I hasten and do not delay to keep your commandments.  Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me, I do not forget your law …. I am a companion of all those who fear you …” [Psalm 119:59-62] 

We notice that last sentence!  Instead of being a companion to those who have no thought for God, he seeks the companionship of those who do – and so must we – then we have great strength – together  - that “the cords” do not ensnare us. 

David also recognises that troubles can be a blessing in disguise when he sees how they led him to rely on God.  He says, “It is good for me that I was afflicted that I might learn your statutes” [Psalm 119:71] and “in faithfulness you have afflicted me” [Psalm 119:75]. This is ‘food’ for our own careful thought and meditation when we have cause to reflect on the pathways we have trodden and see the difficulties we have encountered; as a result we will sense the word of God telling us “keep my charge never to practice” the “customs” we see developing more and more around us. 

-------

- DC

11 March 2015

Leviticus 19

Psalms 119:81-128

Luke 2 

"MY SOUL LONGS FOR ..."

The Hebrew word ('nephesh') sometimes translated into English as 'soul' means a 'a creature', something alive. Genesis 1:21,24 are examples, thus when man was created [Genesis 2:7] he was a "living creature."  Thus, when we read today in Psalm 119:81, we see the sense of the words, "My soul longs for your salvation; I hope in your word."  It means our whole attitude of mind is longing for salvation, but our Creator's word must be accepted, we must not make the mistake of Adam and Eve. And so, as with the Psalmist, "our soul longs" for God's "salvation".

This is the essential attitude of mind, which the Lord (and now His Son) looks to see: it is a repeated theme in the Psalms, especially this one.  Psalm 119:114 is a good example, "You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word."  See also Psalm 119:42,74.   If we do not have this focus in our minds, what is the point in living?  Those who lack this focus, simply live "to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin." [Hebrews 11:25, see also Titus 3:3). There is no middle path – Jesus made that plain.

In our Luke chapter we read of the birth of Jesus and the impact this had on those who became conscious of what was really happening.  The shepherds looking after the sheep in the night became dramatically aware - and must have been overwhelmed - when "a multitude of the heavenly host" appeared "praising God and saying,  ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!’"  That last phrase is the correct translation of the Greek which all modern translations adapt. The popular Carol that has them singing 'and goodwill toward men' is misleading.  

Looking back into our Psalm, may we be among those "with whom he is pleased, those who say, "My soul longs for your salvation" and who "long for your promise" [Psalm 119:82] knowing that God's "faithfulness endures to all generations" [Psalm 119:90].  Those who "long for your salvation" and "love your law (word)" and make it their "meditation all the day" [Psalm 119:97] will, as a result say, "I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word." [Psalm 119:101] 

The more they read God's word the more readily they will say, "How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" [Psalm 119:103] and live with a positive attitude of mind, telling God and His Son, their Lord,  "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path" [Psalm 119:105], believing that their path is nearing its destination to receive the longed for salvation.  Make sure that is true for you.   

-------

- DC

12 March 2015

Leviticus 20

Psalms 119:129-176

Luke 3 

“HIS WINNOWING FORK” 

Today we read of John the Baptist.  Luke begins with a significant quotation  [Luke 3:4-6] from the prophet Isaiah about John.  He would be "The voice of one crying in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.  Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall become straight, and the rough places shall become level ways,  and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.'" We find this in Isaiah 40:3-5: one wonders about ourselves, by the grace of God, being in situations as the kingdom is being established, when we quote to crowds, like John did to those who came to hear him, how certain prophetic words of Scripture are being fulfilled before their eyes.

When John told them "all flesh shall see the salvation of God" - what were they expected to see?  What would the message of preparing "the way of the Lord" mean to them?  Ask the same question of today's world scene and the relevant messages in Scripture we may quote about these being “the last days”?   Do we correctly embrace the picture they reveal ourselves - or maybe we have developed 'tunnel vision' on some points?

John did not perceive that "the way of the Lord" would involve two comings.  We read that "with many other exhortations he preached good news to the people" [Luke 3:18] and prepared the people to receive their Messiah. They listened to Jesus, but most did not 'receive' Jesus, he was not what they were expecting! There were things John forecast which only now are on the brink of fulfilment.   Jesus will have " His winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire." [Luke 3:17]    

What is a "winnowing folk"? Our readers in India should know, in years past we have seen the labourers in the harvest fields tossing the wheat into the air with a fork so that the wind blows the chaff away. This picture is a 'parable' of what is about to happen, unless we are wrong and the return of Jesus is not yet 'at the door'  - but the signs are multiplying to indicate that he is.  When we come to Luke 13:25 we read the warning that some will "stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, 'Lord, open to us,' then he will answer you, 'I do not know where you come from."  Let us make sure we are not among them - that our actions now - are not counted as chaff. 

-------

- DC

13 March 2015

Leviticus 21

Psalms 120; 121; 122; 123; 124

Luke 4 

"FROM WHERE DOES MY HELP COME?”

Psalm 121 today begins with a question – and sometimes this is not recognised.   The Psalmist is lifting up his eyes to the hills and asking, “from where does my help come?” 

The pagan people within and around the Holy Land and also, all too often the Jewish people, looked to high places where they felt they would be nearer where their God’s dwelt.  When travelling in India you frequently see hill tops crowned with Hindu temples.

Psalm 121:2 answers the question, stating, “My help comes from the LORD who made heaven and earth.”  This is just as true today!  But what sort of help can seekers expect?  Well this Psalm is the second of 5 short Psalms to be read today and they are all called ‘A SONG OF ASCENTS’  

Among the Jews these and the ten Psalms which follow are generally understood to be the songs that were sung as they went up to Jerusalem to worship in the Temple. In some cases they would be coming from distant lands – remember the man from Ethiopia that Philip was sent by the Spirit to meet?  “he had come to Jerusalem to worship and was returning” [Acts 8:27].

For us in 2015 we find great inspiration when we read Isaiah’s vision!  “It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established as the highest of the mountains … and many people shall come and say, ‘let us go up to the mountain of the LORD’” [isaiah 2:2-3] 

So what did the pilgrims going up to Jerusalem sing about?  Do these Psalms foreshadow, to at least some degree, the future going up to Jerusalem?  The first one [Psalm 120] is, “In my distress I cried to the LORD and he answered me.  Deliver me O LORD, from lying lips, from a deceitful tongue” [Psalm 120:1-2]   This illustrates the kind of help that was sought – and given - to genuine worshippers of God like David. It also shows the frame of mind of those who do not know God that those who go up to Jerusalem leave behind!  

Psalm 121 ends, “The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and for evermore.” The Lord will watch over all the ways in which we travel, if we firmly believe our help comes from the Lord.  The verse will find its complete fulfilment when Jesus returns and the kingdom is established; but until then may we all become ever more certain “from where” our “help” comes. 

-------

- DC

14 March 2015

Leviticus 22 

Psalms 125; 126; 127 

Luke 5  

“DEPART FROM ME FOR I AM …” 

We meditate on the reaction of Peter to what happens after he does as Jesus requests. He had been fishing all night (we read in Luke 5) and had caught nothing!  As an experienced fisherman, it was his livelihood, he would have used all his skill to find the fish.  Jesus had told him to "Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch." [Luke 5:4] Peter obeys and "they enclosed a large number of fish, and their nets were breaking. They signalled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink." [Luke 5:6-7] 

Peter is overwhelmed with emotion - most of all at the 'power' at the command of Jesus - imagine the event! "When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord." [Luke 5:8] "he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish that they had taken"  As experienced fishermen, this was their livelihood, the wonder of the miracle overwhelmed them,

Jesus tells them, "Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men." [Luke 5:10] The challenge to do this comes after Jesus has ascended to heaven. In Acts 2 we read of Peter's powerful preaching on the day of Pentecost.  The Holy Spirit is given and Peter preaches powerfully about "Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know ..." [Acts 2:22] His message climaxes with the words, "Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified." [Acts 2:36] and his hearers were "cut to the heart  ... So those who received his word were baptized" [Acts 2:37,41] 

So few receive his word and are “cut to the heart” in the 21st Century. The final ingathering is nearly complete, nearly all  people seem to respond to any preaching by saying "Depart from me, I don't even believe there is a God'   But there is no middle way, there is no such thing as 'half-belief'   Are you firmly on the right way?  Make sure you stay on it, read and meditate on God's word every day noting Peter's words in his final epistle that some even then, "Forsaking the right way, they have gone astray" [2 Peter 2:15]  How much more today!

-------

- DC

15 March 2015

Leviticus 23

Psalms 128; 129; 130

Luke 6 

BUT WITH YOU THERE IS FORGIVENESS"                                                                                               

Our Psalms and Luke readings today link together to encourage us to think and live positively in a world that surrounds us with false values.  There are times when these greatly affect us and they can threaten to be overwhelming. We have all had times when we have felt very disappointed with ourselves. These Psalms provide us with encouragement to trust and lean upon the Lord.  Psalm 130 is an outstanding example: “Out of the depths I cry to you O LORD … be attentive to the voice of my pleas for mercy!  If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?  But with you there is forgiveness, that you may be feared.”  [Psalm 130:1-4]

Then the question arises, what counts as iniquities?  In the days of Moses and ancient Israel the people would look to the 10 commandments; but Jesus, as we read in Luke 6 today describes Christ-like behaviour as being much more than avoiding bad behaviour like stealing and committing adultery. 

Jesus taught, “But I say unto you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you …”  [Luke 6:27-28]  Then Jesus lays down what is often called ‘the golden rule’ saying,  “as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.” [Luke 6:31]   It has always been our greatest challenge – to live more and more in the way God desires to see!  David knew this. 

Jesus came to spell it out in plain language. With gratitude we remember David’s words – and see his life as an example, for if we stumble off the narrow pathway that Jesus described, we can feel overwhelmed after we have read, “For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.” [Matthew 7:14]  

We therefore need more especially to remember David’s words that God is “feared” because with him “there is forgiveness.”  He is not feared because he is an angry God, rather he is feared - ‘held in awe and in the deepest reverence’– because he is a loving God.  Tomorrow’s Psalm 131 is specifically by David and he writes, “O LORD, my heart is not lifted up … I have calmed and quieted my soul like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.” [Psalm 131:1-2]   When we can achieve this “… there is forgiveness.”   

-------

- DC

16 March 2015

Leviticus 24 

Psalms 131; 132; 133; 134 

Luke 7  

"WISDOM IS JUSTIFIED BY ..."  

What is true wisdom?  If you were looking for wisdom in our world today - what would you look for?  Wisdom is quite different from knowledge. Our thoughts this morning were prompted by the comment of Jesus that "wisdom is justified by all her children." [Luke 7:35].  This means that true wisdom is shown by the words and actions it gives birth to. 

We look around our world and we see a near total lack of wisdom in words and actions - and reactions - by and between human beings: their wisdom springs from their own self-centredness.   Wisdom is assessed by looking at the external effects of the actions that follow.

The people felt challenged by the character that first John the Baptist and then Jesus displayed.  In Luke 7 we read from verse 33, "John the Baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, 'Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!'"  Then comes the comment by Jesus: "Yet wisdom is justified by all her children." - meaning, what is truly wise in what you say is proved by what actions it gives birth to - especially the end result.  

We can see what today's so called wisdom is resulting in, yet today's "children" are blind to the follies that result from their wisdom - as displayed by their way of life and its’ effects. Later this month we will come to the Proverbs. Proverbs 8 starts with a question, "Does not wisdom call?" Wisdom is then personified, and says, "listen to me: blessed are those who keep my ways.  Hear instruction and be wise, and do not neglect it. Blessed is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors.  For whoever finds me finds life and obtains favour from the LORD" [Proverbs 8:32-35]  Are you finding and then listening to God's wisdom?  

We "listen" by reading God's word - every day. Wisdom is not shown by doing great things, note what we read today in Psalm 131, "I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvellous for me.  But I have calmed and quieted my soul ..." [Psalm 131:1-2]  Can you hear wisdom calling?  You will if you read and meditate on God's word every day, then calm and quiet and peace of mind will result..

-------

- DC

17 March 2015

Leviticus 25 

Psalms 135; 136 

Luke 8  

"HEARING THE WORD, HOLD IT FAST"

All our readings today contain good spiritual lessons for us. First, in Leviticus 25 we read of the principles the Law contained about the 50th Jubilee year they were to observe when they settled in the promised land. This law prevented those who prospered from multiplying their land ownership – of which we see so much today. In the 50th year all the land had to be returned to its original owner.  But the real owner was God.  Leviticus 25:23 tells us, that God said, "The land shall not be sold in perpetuity, for the land is mine. For you are strangers and sojourners with me."  So the "owner" should see himself as a "tenant" - God is the owner. 

What do we really “own” today?  As tenants, what are we providing for the owner?

Then we read Psalm 135  which tells us that God's name, that is, his reputation, "endures forever, your renown, O LORD, throughout all ages.  For the LORD will vindicate his people ..." [Psalm 135:13-14] and so, in our lifetime his nation has been miraculously reborn - and this miracle is now working itself out into what is going to be a dramatic and ultimately wonderful climax, and so we must "Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever." [Psa. 136:1] Are we totally thankful for this unshakable foundation that gives eternal meaning to our lives?

In Luke 8 we have that familiar parable about a sower scattering seed.  The explanation Jesus gives to his disciples is straight to the point, "The seed is the word of God." [Luke 8:11] Then Jesus gives illustrations of the reactions to the seed.  The first is that it is snatched away, it does not settle in any soil at all; "the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved." Our world is full of devilish distractions and Judas Iscariots! 

Others "hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life ..."  This situation surrounds us today!  John records Jesus' blunt words, "If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned." [John 15:6]

The final category of the soil (which represents our hearts)  is the only good one. Jesus says of, "the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience."  If we are to "hold it fast" we must become fully committed in our hearts with a clear vision in our minds of what we are really living to achieve. By the blessing and grace of our Lord, it will “bear fruit” for an eternity far beyond our present comprehension. 

-------

- DC

18 March 2015

Leviticus 26 

Psalms 137; 138; 139 

Luke 9  

"LEAD ME IN THE WAY EVERLASTING"

Today we have a set of the most challenging readings for the whole year. In Leviticus 26 we read of all the blessings God will bestow for obedience in keeping his laws - and this is then contrasted with the calamities that will come if they are disobedient. These calamities did come, three times, first on the wilderness journey, then when the kingdom, established under David and Solomon, declined until the kings and the people were only evil generation after generation - and – the third time - after they rejected their Messiah. 

Paul wrote, “I ask, then, has God rejected his people? By no means! ….God has not rejected his people whom he foreknew” [Romans 11:1-2] and we marvel at the situation developing in the Middle East today.

In Luke 9 we have many lessons. We pondered Jesus’ words to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.... whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes" [Luke 9:23,26] May we be all fully committed in following Jesus: Paul told the Thessalonians to “encourage one another and build one another up” and to “encourage the fainthearted” [1 Thessalonians 5:11,14]

It is Psalm 139 that particularly demands our meditation: it begins with David's intimate perceptions of God in his life - and challenges us to think about his in ours. We read, "O LORD, you have searched me and known me!  You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.  You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways..."  Before he spoke the LORD knew what he was going to say, "Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether." [Psalm 139:4]

David even perceives that God, "knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made...." [Psalm 139:13-14] Then he declares, "How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I would count them, they are more than the sand...." [Psalm 139:17-18] How precious are they to us?  And how immeasurably vast do we today perceive his creation to be - men are discovering this, but are blind to the incredible wonder of it.

The Psalm is an outpouring of his mature perception of God – and, finally, look at the climax his thoughts and prayer reach as it ends with this appeal!   "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!  And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!"  Let us make this our heart-felt appeal – especially the next time we pray.

-------

- DC

19 March 2015

Leviticus 27 

Psalms 140; 141; 142 

Luke 10  

"WHEN MY SPIRIT FAINTS ... THEN YOU KNOW MY WAY"                                                                    

In contrast to the wonderful spiritual perceptions of Psalm 139 which we read yesterday, today we have a Psalm which is in some ways the opposite. The superscription at the start says it was a prayer of David when he was in a cave. David was twice in great peril in caves, once when he fled from the King of Gath and the second when he was hiding from Saul at Engedi. Imagine being totally on your own, hiding.   In some circumstances you are totally perplexed as to what to do next, your “spirit faints.”

David writes, “I cry out to the LORD … I plead for mercy to the LORD … I tell my trouble before him.  When my spirit faints within me, you know my way!” [Psalm 142:1-3]   God knew his way – yet David had lost sight of this and laments, “no refuge remains for me; no one cares for my soul.” [Psalm 142:4].   

In the next verse he regains his vision, “I cry out to you, O LORD; I say, ‘You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.’ Attend to my cry, for I am brought very low!” [Psalm 142:5-6]   Such is our human nature that while we can at times climb spiritual heights we can, in times of distress, lose sight of the wonder that our Lord Jesus and our Heavenly Father should always be our portion, our refuge so that when we are cast down and our spirit faints within us we can say to God, “you know my way.” 

Our reading in Luke today provides a useful lesson; it is the failure of the people of Capernaum to appreciate the wonder of “the mighty works” that had been done there.  In a sense, this city had been “exalted to heaven” [Luke 10:15] because of what they had witnessed. Jesus means this experience should have caused great repentance and humility. But it didn’t, so Jesus says, “You shall be brought down to Hades (the grave)”   

Today, clever scientists are discovering more and more of the incredible wonders of creation – yet they explain them all away as evolution!   They, and all who agree with them, will suffer the same fate as Capernaum!  Let us open our eyes as we read God’s words every day and be “exalted to heaven” and see the meaning of life from a heavenly point of view.    

-------

- DC

20 March 2015

Numbers 1

Psalms 143; 144

Luke 11  

"I WILL EXTOL YOU MY GOD AND KING"

David’s Psalm 145 (from tomorrow's readings) is a remarkable song of praise, extolling all that God must be. In reading or singing this Psalm each of us must think carefully about each point David makes. It becomes so easy, especially with hymns we become very familiar with, to repeat the words – simply as words – and the reality of their meanings cease to penetrate our minds in any wholesome sense.  When they are about the absolute greatness of the Creator of all things we should feel utterly awed and totally humbled by what we read – and sing. 

"Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever.  Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable." [Psalm 145:2-3]  Unsearchable! Yes, the more the wonders of creation have been discovered - down to the minutest detail, the more this is seen as absolutely true - therefore, with ever greater feeling we will say - and sing - "I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name forever and ever." [Psalm 145:1]   Think of what the word “extol” means!  Do we really “extol” our Creator – and his son – our coming King? 

David went on to  say, " ... and on your wondrous works, I will meditate." [Psalm 145:5] and what works!  What is the wonder of the miniature world of DNA - now made 'visible' through the cleverness of humans.  Truly, at "the time of the end ... knowledge shall increase" [Daniel 12:4] - and it has! 

David's Psalm reaches a mind compelling conclusion with his inspired words that the " LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth." And that “he fulfils the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them." [Psalm 145:18-19]  But there is another factor in this as well as "truth"!  In his final 2 verses David declares,  “The LORD preserves all who love him, but all the wicked he will destroy.  My mouth will speak the praise of the LORD, and let all flesh bless his holy name forever and ever." [Psalm 145:20-21] When his kingdom reaches its climax – this will be wonderfully true!  We make sure now, showing our love by our actions to demonstrate we mean what we say – and at that time - we will be there – and how we “will extol” him then!

-------

- DC

21 March 2015

Numbers 2

Psalms 145; 146; 147

Luke 12 

"ONE'S LIFE DOES NOT CONSIST IN ..."                                                                                               

Many of the sayings of Jesus in today’s 12th chapter of Luke are very challenging.  They were addressed to the generation that were about to experience the destruction of Jerusalem and their nation at the hands of the Romans: their lives were going to be turned upside down.  

Yet, as it is today, nearly all were self-centred, their religious beliefs were just a sort of ‘decoration’ in their lives. However, many recognised Jesus spoke with authority and one man wanted him to use that authority in the wrong way.  He said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me” [Luke 12:13] causing Jesus to respond, “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?”   This man’s mind was focused on his life here and now and how Jesus could be a help: but that is the role of Jesus and his saints in his kingdom – ponder Psalm 149, especially Psalm 149:6-9.

This exchange caused Jesus to say “to them (not just to him) take care, and be on your guard against covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” [Luke 12:15]   But that is exactly what the lives of nearly all people do consist of today – plus pleasurable activities such as going on trips and gambling.

This leads Jesus to tell the parable “of a rich man” who stored up his possessions and said to himself, “Soul you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink and be merry.” [Luke 12:19] But that night God caused him to die! Jesus then made the point, so “is the one who is not rich toward God.” 

The future of those who are rich toward God is spelt out in Psalm 145.  David looks to the time when “I will extol you my God and King,  and bless your name for ever and ever.  Every day I will bless you and praise your name …” [Psa. 145:1-2]   Truly, “The LORD preserves all who love him, but all the wicked he will destroy.” [Psalm 145:20]  

Let us make sure we show our love for him – for he knows what our lives consist of – he also knows what our world will soon experience, but he will preserve “all who love him”.   

-------

- DC

22 March 2015

Numbers 3 

Psalms 148; 149; 150 

Luke 13; 14 

"… AND WILL NOT BE ABLE"  

Today’s chapters in Luke are full of challenging parables.  They challenge us to understand and act in a particular way. First we note the response of Jesus when someone asked, “Lord, will those who are saved be few?” [Luke 13:23] The question leads Jesus to talk about the “narrow door” [Luke 13:24].  

We are reminded of another occasion when he spoke about the “narrow gate” [Matthew 7:13-14], and on that occasion he said, ”the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.”  

Luke records Jesus as saying, “Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.” [Luke 13:24]  Why will they not be able? Why does God not make it wide and easy?  Does he not want all people to be saved?   If the answer is “Yes” ­ we must ask ourselves, ‘ Saved - on whose terms?’  Ours or God’s? 

We may want to buy a house or a car?  Who sets the terms?   But salvation is so very different, a life changing difference!  Jesus goes on to speak of a house, the door of which is “shut”!  Many are knocking and “saying, Lord, open to us, then he will answer you, ‘I do not know where you come from. Then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.” [Luke 13:25]

They heard Jesus preach - we didn’t  ­ but we can say we read God’s Bible regularly, and come together to share in a communion meal every week; surely can we ask for the right to come into this house? It is vital that we carefully note  the next words of Jesus that he will say to some; the text reads - “But he will say, ‘I tell you I do not know where you come from.” [Luke 13:26-27]  He means by this that they never developed a relationship with him ­ and a relationship is a two way affair, an active day by day relationship.

In Luke 14, which we also read today, there is a parable about a great banquet where they reclined with Jesus at a meal table, and someone said, “Blessed is everyone who will eat bread in the kingdom of God” [Luke 14:15]  Jesus then comments on those who had (to them) more important things to do in their lives than to come to God’s banquet.  

Another parable in the chapter is about counting the cost of building a tower, it makes the vital point that it is no good building the foundation without first planning how you are going to complete the tower.  So let us fully learn the vital lesson that following in the footsteps of the Master has to be undertaken with a heartfelt sense of a lifetime commitment to make sure we “will … be able” to complete the journey ­ and how close are we now to the end!?  

-------

- DC

23 March 2015

Numbers 4

Proverbs 1

Luke 15 

"FOOLS DESPISE WISDOM"

We started reading Proverbs today - it expresses many blunt contrasts - there is a right way of living and a wrong way - and no middle way.  We will find comparisons with the parables of Jesus we are reading in Luke, some of which are developed from the proverbs of Solomon. 

Proverbs 1:7 jumps out to demand our attention. "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction."   In this context "fear" means "awe" - the awe of what God must be!  Can we try to open up our minds wide enough to visualize the Creator?  No, this is impossible!  The time is coming, as David visualized and expressed  twice in Psalm 8, "O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth" [Psalm 8:1,9] If we "despise wisdom" and are blind to the “instruction” that God’s word contains, - we will not be there in the day God’s “name” is “majestic … in all the earth.” 

Those who read and truly absorb God's word now possess "the beginning … of wisdom."   Solomon tells us that "Wisdom cries aloud in the street, in the markets she raises her voice; at the head of the noisy streets she cries out; at the entrance of the city gates ..." [Proverbs 1:20-21] – and so it did in Solomon’s all-wise reign.  Human cleverness and self-centredness has deadened the sound of true wisdom.  To really "see" the meaning of life - we have to see it as God  sees it!  Let us apply our minds to wise thinking and actions in every situation. The source of wise thinking begins by absorbing God's word and making it part of the way we think..

In Proverbs 1:23 we read, "If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you."  How wonderful!  It gives real purpose to our lives; for "the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtains guidance..." [Proverbs 1:5] Let us make sure we seek this every day: a failure to do so will mean, as we read in Proverbs 1:27-29, "when terror strikes you like a storm ... when distress and anguish come ...   Then they will call upon me, but" - says God -  "I will not answer ...   Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the LORD."  

Only "fools despise wisdom"  and fail to seek a relationship with their Creator - and His Son, instead, seeking, as we read the words of Jesus in Luke 16 today try to “serve two masters” but “You cannot serve God and money” [Luke 16:13] And, as that chapter concludes, “ … neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from dead.”  Let us be convinced – and act of on our convictions – and experience true “wisdom.”

-------

- DC

24 March 2015

Numbers 5 

Proverbs 2 

Luke 16  

"IF YOU RECEIVE MY WORDS ..."

What a powerful little word "if" can be!  It can be like a wheel, it can turn things and situations into the right - or wrong direction!  It is a challenging word for us - as to the genuineness of our thinking about what really matters in our lives and whether we really desire to follow the Master.   We meditated on the use of this little word in today's reading of Proverbs 2.  It starts "....if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments ...  making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding"   Our “heart” is the seat of our conscience!  

Yes, if you and I build up our way of thinking and develop our character in this way - what then?  Note how the word "if" occurs in the next 3 verses!  "if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding,  if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures,  then you will understand ..." [Proverbs 2:3-5]  Visualize the word pictures painted here, the developing dedication of mind to become fully wise in receiving and treasuring up God's words to reach a profound understanding – of what?.  

The genuineness of our relationship with our Lord depends on how we have used what we have received, how much we really do "search for" its real and full meaning with our heart - not just our intellect.

And what will we understand as a result?  Proverbs 2:5 tells us, "then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God."  Wonderful, far beyond the understanding we develop from studying, comparing and analysing God's word.  When we "receive my words" in this way, we develop a real relationship with God, a “fear”, the utter awe of what he must be.  

And when trouble comes - and it is surely looming ever larger in our godless world, then, to quote Psalm 91 that we read last month, "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High ... will only look with your eyes and see the recompense of the wicked.  Because you have made the LORD your dwelling place … no evil shall be allowed to befall you ..." [Psalm 91:1,8-10] 

Returning to our Proverbs chapter, we see a parallel message as it tells us, "The LORD gives wisdom ... he is a shield to those who walk in integrity, guarding the paths of justice and watching over the way of his saints." [Proverbs 2:6-8] - so let us receive his words and "call out for insight" day after day responding to each one of the “if”’s in this chapter in a positive way. 

-------

- DC

25 March 2015

Numbers 6

Proverbs 3

Luke 17 

"DO NOT BE AFRAID OF SUDDEN TERROR"

Our chapters in Luke and the Proverbs help us to have confidence when events cause us to be anxious, even terrified, at what seems to be on the point of happening.  We must always realize the Creator is in control of His creation, he is the ultimate cause of all events.  In Proverbs we read, "The LORD by wisdom founded the earth; by understanding he established the heavens;  by his knowledge the deeps broke open ... " [Proverbs 3:19-20]  The deeps certainly broke open in the time of Noah! [Genesis 7:11]  Back in Proverbs we read, " Do not be afraid of sudden terror or of the ruin of the wicked, when it comes, for the LORD will be your confidence ..." [Proverbs 3:25-26]

These words have their parallel in the words of Jesus about events at his return which we read today in Luke  17.  Our Lord makes it clear his return will be sudden and unexpected, except for true believers.  "For as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other," said Jesus, "so will the Son of Man be in his day ... Just as it was in the days of Noah ... They were eating and drinking ... and the flood came  and destroyed ... Likewise ... in the days of Lot­they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, but on the day when Lot went out ... so will it be on the day when the Son of Man is revealed" [Luke 17:24,26,29,30]  And what are people preoccupied with doing today – with no thought of God?!

Noah and Lot are ancient history - yet archaeology has given encouraging support to the Bible record. When we come to Luke 21 we will read what Jesus said in revealing more about his return; but our thoughts today are attracted to what Peter wrote, for after commenting how "the world that then existed was deluged with water and perished" [2 Peter 3:6], he then says the present world is “stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly." [2 Peter 3:7] adding, " that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." [2 Peter 3:8] so we are living a few days later, in God's view of time. 

Peters' points in 2 Peter 3:11-13 link with our opening quotations from Proverbs, "Since all these things are thus to be dissolved,” wrote Peter, “what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness,  waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn!  But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells."  This pictures a complete spiritual renewal to accomplish God's original purpose in Creation, so let us "not be afraid of sudden terror" when the Creator starts to act to bring this about, may the LORD be “your confidence.”  We remember Jesus words, “But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.”  [Matthew 24:22] 

-------

- DC