TFTD - January 2015

Resource Manager

01 January 2015 

"Keep your heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life" (Proverbs 4:23). The end of the year is a time when we look back, and forward. How has it fared with us in the year that is past? What have we gained or lost? Has there been progress or just stagnation?

And what of the future? What will the New Year bring? There is a way in which we can make sure that the past will bear its harvest of good, whatever its events have been. Out of the heart are the issues of life."

- Claud Lamb

Look Within (1979) 

02 January 2015 

"Grace of character has been compared to grace of body, as it is seen in creatures like the leopard. They are lithe, sleek, swift in all their movements. So is grace. It is facile, tranquil, beautiful, and when stirred it is quick and volatile, but still controlled."

- Elwyn Humphreys

Cameos of Jesus (1953)

03 January 2015

"Jesus is still as he was then, the leader the world needs, the King whose return his people await with eager expectancy. But to those who have eyes to see, he is now, as then, the light which illuminates the sad and darkened soul, the bread that feeds the hungry, the Shepherd who guides his wandering lambs to rich and fertile pastures of spiritual satisfaction. For his whole life in its tenderness, humility, patience, suffering and death, vindicated by the supreme triumph of the resurrection, is the absolute truth, the ultimate reality of the universe, the pivot of all history. The love of God manifested in Christ is the meaning of the whole world, as Paul himself learned in the dust of the Damascus road."

- Sheila Harris

Paul: A Vision of Christ (1969)

04 January 2015 

"Jesus was at the well, alone, when the Samaritan woman came to him to receive his invitation to life. We hear those words of life reaching towards us today in the message that he gave to all who had ears to hear. “Come unto me, all you that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30). How could the Master have extended such a wonderful invitation to us unless he were already at the well to receive us? The certainty of these promises were confirmed by God’s oath, and in the course of time, sealed by the sacrifice of Jesus."

- W. Willey

At the Well (1961)

05 January 2015

"Job is described as a man who feared God, a perfect and upright man, who eschewed evil; yet Job was on the defensive, fighting, vindicating himself all the time, until he got a clear vision of the glory of God, and then he felt constrained to confess: "I have heard of you by the hearing of the ear: but now my eye sees you. Why I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:5-6) When he saw God, he also saw the stark reality of his own wretched condition and repented. He realised that he was not holy and he wanted to be holy more than anything else."

- Peter Watkins

Our Need of Holiness (1972)

06 January 2015 

"It is true that no man or power has a right to interfere between God and the conscience; but it is also true that no man has a right to worship God as he pleases. This is a Protestant fallacy. Man has a right to worship God only in the way God has Himself appointed."  

- John Thomas 

Elpis Israel (1848)

08 January 2015 

"Deliverance will most surely come not only to us, but to God’s people as well, when “The Lord shall roar out of Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake: but the Lord will be the hope of his people and the strength of the children of Israel. So shall ye know that I am the Lord your God dwelling in Zion, my holy mountain: then shall Jerusalem be holy and there shall no stranger pass through her any more” (Joel 3:16-17).

This will be the day of earth’s redemption, the day to which the world has been slowly moving since creation. This will no longer be a spiritual revival destined to fade away later, as has happened so often in the past, but the final consummation when God’s Kingdom and rule and righteousness will cover the earth, even as the waters do the sea."

- Howard Walker

Evening Meditations (1975)

09 January 2015 

"The final object of our calling is to make us fit companions for Christ, so that he will desire us to be with him where he is. That transformation will be the final effect with all who are called, chosen and accepted. It may be difficult to see what there is in us to make us desirable companions, but it is certain that in this lies our only hope. It is certain, too, that we have passed through the first stages of the change and the final triumph is a possibility. The Apostle Paul said, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”. Through him, if our surrender to him is complete, we can overcome all evil and bring all our thoughts into subjection. Then he may desire us to be with him."

- I. Collyer

Called to be Saints (1952)

10 January 2015

"... this beauty, the beauty of holiness, the expression of worship, is something which breaks through from inside. It is centred in a heart filled with reverent fear, seeking to discover the will of God and to answer it in humble joy; a life trembling at His word and responsive to His command; walking in the way of God’s appointment, whatever it may be, like sheep content with the pasture which the shepherd has selected; a life of holiness unfolding the beauty which glorifies God."

- Dennis Gillett

The Genius of Discipleship

11 January 2015 

"... we live in a secret place. Our experience of this is obtained by our communion with God, by reading His word, and in prayer through Christ. Our love responds to His; and did not Christ say, “The Father himself loveth you”? So we live and move with that inner consciousness of His presence with us always, and are kept in perfect peace because our minds are stayed on Him. This belongs to us alone, individually, often cast down and lonely as we may be: just God, our loving Heavenly Father, and His dear Son, and us finding in them our secret sanctuary."

- A. Soffe

The Secret Place (1951)

12 January 2015

"Let us who are associated with the greater work of God in Christ, the expression of His mind rather than the work of His fingers, "look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal" (2 Corinthians 4:18)."

- Alfred Nicholls

The Finger of God (1970)

13 January 2015

"The Bible presents us with a dazzling display of patient men and women. It is apparent with Abraham and Sarah, for example, that their patience was closely linked with their faith. And so it should be with us. As our faith increases, so too must our longsuffering: "Love suffereth long, and is kind" (1 Corinthians 13:4)."

- Steven Thaw

The Fruit of the Spirit (1996)

14 January 2015

"... the glorious vision of sunrise upon Zion after a long and dreadful night. It is the return of the Lord as "the Sun of Righteousness" who arises with healing in his beams. He is Zion’s “Light” and her “Glory”; and is so identified in the Word of God. "The people that sat in darkness (in Galilee) have seen a great light" (Isaiah 9:1, 2; Matthew 4:16). Matthew applies this to the preaching of Jesus in Galilee ... the opening of the Sermon on the Mount makes us realise how remarkable was the fulfilment: "Never man spake like this man." And he was "the glory of the Lord" even in the days of the flesh, and will be much more so in the day of Sunrise upon Zion that is coming. “The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father), full of grace and truth" (John 1:14)."

- C.C. Walker 

“The Cities of the Nations,” and “The City of God” (1920)

15 January 2015

"What a fundamental, heart-searching lesson God gave to man when the supreme revelation of Himself and His purpose was given in a child that was born in a stable, through a man that was homeless, and through a life that was utterly without self-seeking. It was one of the early fathers (I think Tertullian) who said "The constant marks of God’s work are simplicity and power: simplicity in method, power in effect"."

- Cyril Cooper

Simplicity and Power (1970)

16 January 2015

"Our final picture: man who was driven out from the Garden of Eden (in our beginning) is now welcomed back into God’s habitation and blessing (at the end of Revelation). What a joyous occasion it will be for those who are there! Surely the end of this is indeed so much better than the beginning: "He which testifies these things said, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus." (Revelation 22:20)"

- K.G. Galvin

Alpha and Omega (1965)

17 January 2015 

"Truth expressed the faithfulness of God’s consistency. Jesus manifested this and therefore was able to say, "I am the truth". He possessed a love that was morally strong and was shown in truth, in purging the temple and reproving the leaders. The greatest display of truth was in his death and resurrection, because he displayed what sin deserves, but conquered death as he was sinless. He showed God’s faithfulness to mankind in bringing redemption for God’s creation. This is inferred in John 8:31-32: "If you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed: and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

- Justin Robinson

Contending for the Faith (1995)

18 January 2015 

"If God removes Himself from the heart of a man or a community, as He removed the tent of meeting from the centre of the camp of Israel, it is for the same reason. Israel had departed from God before God departed from them. God will have no rivals. He dwells alone and supreme and must have that place in the hearts of men. There can be no divided allegiance. God and the golden calf cannot remain in the same camp. This association was in the mind of Moses when he broke the idol to pieces before he went to plead with God to return to his people. So must we purify our hearts and prepare our ways that we may be abiding temples of God."

- C.A. Ladson

God’s Dwelling Place (1932)

19 January 2015

"To the brethren of Christ ... Consider how great this man is, to whom we give acceptable worship. He is higher than all principalities and earthly potentates. He reigns a Prince and Mediator over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast to the profession of our faith, rooted, grounded and settled in the faith delivered to the saints. He is the root and offspring of David, the bright and morning star, the promised heir of all things, through whom God is emancipating a world of sinners."

- H. Lander

Brethren of Jesus Christ (1958)

20 January 2015

"God shows His love and gives His blessings to all men. His rain and sunshine are for the benefit of all, even those who deny His existence or blaspheme His name. Such love corresponds with God’s nature, and if we are His children we must be like Him. The love that Jesus inculcates necessitates a real concern for one’s enemies, free from bitterness and in a spirit of disinterestedness. A positive demand is made upon one’s attention which cannot be ignored."

- Harry Sheppard

The Moral Teaching of Jesus (1960)

21 January 2015 

"This is a day of small things, but we must not despise it. We must labour earnestly at the work that is near to us, remembering the apostle’s exhortation to do all things heartily as unto the Lord. We are building something into our personalities by earnest labour even if the actual work seems to be wasted. And even in the matter of influencing other people, that which seems very little may be as effective as a cup of cold water to a thirsty soul, given in the name of Christ."

- I. Collyer

Work and Motive (1932)

22 January 2015

"Are we standing still? Are we losing ground? What were our habits a year ago in respect of study of Scripture, prayer, self-examination? What are they now? These questions if frankly and honestly answered, help us to take stock and find out how far we are "forgetting those things that are behind, and reaching forward unto those things which are before."

- Claud Lamb

Reaching Forward (1992)

24 January 2015 

"Jesus is set before us as the highest model to study and imitate; the excellences which are supreme and glorious in him should inspire us with desire and resolve to copy and to acquire them in measure for ourselves. Jesus is our guide; where he treads it is for us to follow, placing our feet in the footmarks he has left behind him. As we behold Jesus in the Gospels, a great desire should spring up from our hearts; a yearning to have that mind that was in him, to be like him. Do we have that desire in our hearts?"

- Anthony Higginson

Transformed by Beholding (1977)

25 January 2015

"Evil is not always punishment. Sometimes it looks as if it is, although the ultimate intention is to bless. A good example of this is provided by David. Clearly, David’s afflictions were intended to remind him, and to keep reminding him, of his great sin. Yet they were not punishments in the ordinary sense, for God had forgiven him. By these reminders David was kept humble, and in his humility he learned to trust God to the uttermost. In the final analysis, the evil that befell David was not evil but blessing in disguise." 

- Peter Watkins

The Devil the Great Deceiver