TFTBR - January 2015

Resource Manager

01 January 2015

Genesis 1; 2

Psalms 1; 2

Matthew 1; 2

"PLANTED BY STREAMS OF WATER"

We have an abundance of thoughts this morning arising from the 6 chapters listed for our reading.  As thoughts for personal inspiration we cannot go past Psalm 1 which starts -  "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers;  but his delight is in ..."   These words show us the progression of action by those who do NOT "delight ...in the law of the Lord."

They start by failing to ignore " the counsel of the wicked" - and this confronts us in so many ways today, especially in this country.  After failing to walk past the wicked and ignore the "counsel" they offer, they stand and look, and then end up sitting down with them.  So many are following this progression of action.

Now look at the Psalm 1:2. What is the "delight" of the one who walks past?  "His delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night."  The Hebrew word for 'law' is 'Torah' and it occurs a lot in scripture in the sense of precepts for living, it applies to far more than the letter of the laws God gave through Moses.   How meaningful is the way Psalm 119 starts, " Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD!  Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart"  Our Lord Jesus is the ultimate example.

Back in Psalm 1 we take into our thoughts the 3rd verse which shows that the one who "meditates day and night" on God's words, "is like a tree that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers." [Psalm 1:3]

Let us be like this kind of tree.  We specially note that such trees are "planted by streams of water".  God's words are "streams of water" and God's son "cried out, If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." John 7:37-38.   Are you and I thirsty?   Our world has become a spiritual desert, but God's word gives us the wonderful experience of being  ""planted by streams of water" - let us not fail to drink from that water every day – and it will then begin to flow out of our heart – for the benefit of others – as well as ourselves.  May we feel this happening in 2015.

-------

- DC

02 January 2015

Genesis 3; 4

Psalms 3; 4; 5

Matthew 3; 4

"... FULFILL ALL RIGHTEOUSNESS" 

We cannot pick and choose how we will serve God - what we will do and what we will believe. Yet, we recognise the words God has caused to be written and preserved are a lifelong challenge for us to read and meditate upon, their intent and meaning becoming clearer the more we read.  They are rather like a large jigsaw that falls more and more into place.  However, the principle pieces of the jigsaw fall fairly quickly into place - as long as we have not started with a fixed idea of what we want to believe, such as having an immortal soul , or that Jesus is equal with God. Such ideas cannot be found in God’s word.

The 4 gospels, taken together, fill out the full picture, as God wanted us to see it, of the life on earth and teaching of His son. John the Baptist was sent to prepare the way, challenging the people to repent, be baptised and show their repentance by the way they then lived: but to then be aware that "there is one coming after me (who) is mightier than I" [Matthew 3:11].

Jesus came "from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him." [Matthew 3:13]  John objected to doing this, "But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfil all righteousness."   [Matthew 3:15]  We notice, Jesus did not say, 'it is fitting for me' to do so - he set the example, he was fully human: as we are told in Hebrews, "he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God" [Hebrews 2:17  - see also Hebrews 4:15-16]

Baptism means immersion under water, that is why John used the Jordan and, after he baptised Jesus, " he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; and behold, a voice from heaven said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased." [Matthew 3:16-17] We learn in John 3:34 that Jesus was given "the Spirit without measure" so he could do all things, including reading the minds of his hearers!  So how much more today! 

Let us "fulfil all righteousness" by being baptised as a start to becoming "wheat" that God can use in his service, especially as the time is surely getting near when, as John had preached [Matthew 3:12], God will  "gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire." How wonderful when this world becomes God’s “barn”. Let us all live now so that we will, by his grace, be there. 

-------

- DC

03 January 2015

Genesis 5; 6

Psalms 6; 7; 8

Matthew 5 

"YOU HAVE SET YOUR GLORY ..."

We marvel at the words of David in today's 8th Psalm.  It starts, "O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens …"  The word name 'here' - applied to the eternal Creator  - means his reputation achieved by the things he has done.  See Nehemiah 9:10; Jeremiah 32:20 and Daniel 9:15 – and when we come Psalm 135, note Psalm 135:5-13, “Your name, O LORD, endures forever, your renown, O LORD, throughout all ages."  And it will be totally that, when the kingdom is established and reaches its completion as we read earlier this week in Revelation.  Today’s Psalm ends, O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!' May we see the ultimate fulfilment of this.

How "majestic" indeed!  In recent years men of science have uncovered more and more of the remarkable nature of all that exists.  We think of David writing this Psalm, " When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,  what is man that you are mindful of him ..." [Psalm 8:3-4]   David thought of his own insignificance; remember when he " went in and sat before the LORD and said, "Who am I, O Lord GOD, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?" [2 Samuel 7:18]

The closer we come to God - the smaller we feel!  This surely started with David in his early years, discounted as a family member (remember when Samuel was sent to Bethlehem - (see 1 Samuel 16:1-11) his experiences in keeping and defending the sheep surely brought him closer to God - to 'see' God more clearly than anyone else - he was in God's 'training school' - and he was a good pupil. Out with the flock at night he meditated on God's endless handiwork in the heavens above.   Samuel had earlier told Saul, "The LORD has sought out a man after his own heart" [1 Samuel 13:14] 

We can see why Jesus is called "the Son of David" - he is called that in the first verse of the New Testament!  And what of the verse we read today in Matthew 5!  Jesus said, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God" [Matthew 5:9]  Are you and I peacemakers?  Our world seems to totally lack them - so many seem to delight in being trouble makers, seeking their own kind of human "glory."   

Finally let us note and take to heart the words of Jesus in Matthew 5:16 and the way our Master uses the word "glory" when he said, " let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."  What 'glory' awaits us if we "give glory" to our heavenly Father now – especially seeing his  'glory' in creation which lays the foundation for our motivation in giving this kind of glory to our Creator.  

-------

- DC

04 January 2015

Genesis 7; 8

Psalms 9; 10

Matthew 6  

"LAY UP FOR YOURSELVES TREASURES IN HEAVEN"       

That’s impossible – in a literal sense!  But what sort of treasure was Jesus talking about when he said, “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven…” [Matthew 6:19-20].   Jesus goes on to say, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” [Matthew 6:21]    How can your heart be in heaven?  We hear love songs about individual’s stealing hearts – meaning affections.  Jesus is talking about where your affections are focused.         

Now Jesus “mines” many of this sayings from the book of Proverbs.  For example there is the proverb which reads, “Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.” [Proverbs 4:23]  A spring is the source of pure water, often bottled water on sale is said to be spring water.  

How vital to keep the thoughts of our hearts pure!  Another proverb says, “Like a muddied spring or a polluted fountain is a righteous person who gives way before the wicked.” [Proverbs 25:26]  Tragically there are many muddied springs and polluted fountains around these days, never has it been more vital – and difficult - to keep our minds clean so they can lay up treasure in the right place.

Paul wrote to the Ephesians that “Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of the water with the word” [Ephesians 5:25-26]  Think carefully about the point he is making.   Jesus loves those who become believers in him; his sacrifice was to inspire them to become clean in their minds in this symbolic language. The first step is baptism, down into water, but there is a lifetime of steps to follow in walking in the footsteps of Christ.  His word, and the words his father inspired others to write provide what we might call,  the washing powder, that will keep the hearts of believers from becoming polluted. 

A final thought on treasure in heaven.  Did you notice when we read the final chapter of Revelation last week that in the last chapter Jesus said, “Behold I am coming soon, bringing my recompense (reward) with me to repay everyone for what they have done” [Revelation 22:12]  We do not have to go to heaven to claim our treasure and reward, Jesus will bring it to us when he comes – and the way the world is now – that could be very “soon.”  Do you have treasure in heaven that he can bring?   

-------

- DC

05 January 2015

Genesis 9; 10

Psalms 11; 12; 13

Matthew 7 

“I NEVER KNEW YOU”

There are some really challenging sayings of Jesus in the first 27 verses of Matthew 7, our chapter today.  Then his comment in Matthew 7:28-29  jumps out at us. “When Jesus finished these sayings, the crowds were astonished at his teaching,  for he was teaching them as one who had authority, and not as their scribes."  Jesus spoke plainly, there was no double talk.   

God's word spells out for us very plainly the principles of living. Paul stressed this, he said to the Corinthians, "Was I vacillating when I wanted to do this? Do I make my plans according to the flesh, ready to say "Yes, yes" and "No, no" at the same time?  As surely as God is faithful, our word to you has not been Yes and No." [2 Corinthians 1:18-19]  Let us not be influenced by the volume of 'double talk' in our world today.

Back in Matthew, verses 21-23 contain a vital lesson,  Jesus says, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.  On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy (teach) in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?'  And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me ..." [Matthew 7:21-23]

It is not simply a matter of knowing what is true and simply talking about it and maybe, writing about it, even travelling around to do so.  We notice carefully, even fearfully, that Jesus said that "on that day" (the judgement day) "many will say" about the preaching and works they have done - but Jesus will "declare to them, 'I never knew you". Those who 'know' Jesus , in the sense he means here, are those who have developed a genuine spiritual relationship with him.  Half of the virgins waiting for the bridegroom to come, are told by him, when he comes, "Truly, I say to you, I do not know you." [Matthew 25:12]  Paul warned the Corinthians in his first letter how "knowledge" puffs up, but love builds up.  If anyone imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know.  But if anyone loves God, he is known by God." [1 Corinthians 8:1-3] and an intimate spiritual relationship comes into being.

David is an outstanding example, we saw this in the Psalm we read today; 'I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.  Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices ... You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy ..." [Psalm 16:8-11]. What an example David is!  May we so live and love our Lord that he will never say to us, "I never knew you."

-------

- DC

06 January 2015

Genesis 11; 12

Psalm 14; 15; 16

Matthew 8  

"LET US MAKE A NAME"

Our readings in Genesis have progressed to the time after the flood. Much time has passed and the descendants of Noah have multiplied and "they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there ... Then they said, ‘Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth.’" [Genesis 11:2-4]

We are then told how the LORD reacts to their plans.  His action was to "confuse their language, so that they may not understand one another's speech.  So the LORD dispersed them from there over the face of all the earth." [Genesis 11:7-8]   And so it happened, but we are not told the detail of how this unfolded, but, in the process of many generations, each couple, with their own language, seeking to "make a name" for themselves, developed to become a nation in some part of the world.

This has been the scene for many thousands of years!  But God has revealed he ultimately will act again in the matter of language.  This is shown in his message through the prophet Zephaniah which we read last month, "Therefore wait for me," declares the LORD, "for the day when I rise up to seize the prey. For my decision is to gather nations, to assemble kingdoms, to pour out upon them my indignation, all my burning anger; for in the fire of my jealousy all the earth shall be consumed.”  But then God will do a remarkable thing!  "For at that time I will change the speech of the peoples to a pure speech, that all of them may call upon the name of the LORD and serve him with one accord." [Zephaniah 3:8-9] When God rises up, the "prey" he will seize will be the godless!  There are many Scriptures which picture it!  And so instead of man making himself a name, it is God who does! 

The making of a name in scripture, means making a reputation: in Genesis 12 which we also read today, we saw God's promise to Abraham, "I will bless you and make your name great" [Genesis 12:2]  And we read in Isaiah 63:14, where the prophet reviews  all that God had done, up to that stage, saying to God, "So you led your people, to make for yourself a glorious name." [isaiah 63:14]

Let us live so that we, ultimately, become part of the "name" that God makes.  We read a couple of weeks ago, this wondrous promise by Jesus to those who "conquer" this ungodly world. "The one who conquers" said Jesus, "I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God ... and I will write on him the name of my God ... and my own new name." [Revelation 3:12] Only through our Saviour can we "make a name."

-------

- DC

07 January 2015

Genesis 13; 14

Psalms 17

Matthew 9  

"KEEP ME ... HIDE ME IN ..." 

How inspiring are the Psalms of David.  We perceive that the more troublesome the circumstances that surround him, the closer he comes to God. In today's Psalm [17] we read his prayer, "Deliver my soul from the wicked by your sword,  from men by your hand, O LORD, from men of the world whose portion is in this life." [Psalm 17:13-14] He is able to say, at this stage of his life, "You have tried my heart, you have visited me by night, you have tested me, and you will find nothing; I have purposed that my mouth will not transgress.   ...  by the word of your lips ...  My steps have held fast to your paths ..." [Psalm 17:3-5]

"The word of your lips" is of course, God's word; God’s words gave David the strength to hold fast to godly ways: but do we use his word today as earnestly as David did then?   David wrote, "I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God" [Psalm 17:6]  David established an intimacy in his relationship with his God.  What an example this is for us - and we have the wondrous further blessing of a mediator and Saviour!

David next prays, "Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings,  from the wicked ..." [Psalm 17:8-9]  How urgently may we be making such a prayer as our world grows even more wicked, although it is already really bad in some countries?  Later this month we will read our Lord's anguished prayer for the people of Jerusalem, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!" [Matthew 23:37] 

May our steps hold fast to God's paths that we may be “willing” as God’s judgements falls on our world, as they fell on Jerusalem long ago. May we, especially at that time, say to our Saviour as David said to God in this Psalm, "Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings, from the wicked who do me violence ..." [Psalm 17:8-9]

David then says, "Arise, O LORD!”  - and we read again his word,  “Deliver my soul from the wicked by your sword, from men by your hand, O LORD, from men of the world whose portion is in this life." [Psalm 17:13-14]  Our "portion" is in the life to come.  The same Hebrew word occurred in the previous Psalm, which the A.V. translated as "inheritance".  May our Lord "keep" and "hide" us in safety - especially spiritually - until we receive our inheritance.

-------

- DC

08 January 2015

Genesis 15; 16

Psalms 18

Matthew 10  

"I AM YOUR SHIELD" 

Today we read more of the LORD's dealings with Abraham, at that stage called Abram, we read, "the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: "Fear not, Abram, I am your shield ... " [Genesis 15:1]  Abram had become concerned because he had not fathered a child - and had no heir.   The LORD assures him, both that he will  be a shield, a protector to him, and that he will have an heir.  But the details are only revealed step by step, it is a training in developing faith -  you and I will have – or have had -  the same experience if we are committed to serving our Lord.

As we read on, we see God’s promise is fulfilled in God's good time, but Abram fails to wait for God to act.  His sense of how God was his "shield" should have encouraged him to wait.  When we commit ourselves to  "working together with God" [2 Corinthians 6:1] as Paul found, we should keep our eyes open to see what pathways the Lord is opening up for us. How keenly do we look? Do we pick those, that appear to be pathways we feel comfortable with, that are not too difficult?   There can be times when, as with Moses, we might ask the Lord, "Why did you ever send me?" [Exodus 5:22] The lesson life teaches us, if we are willing to learn, is that our Lord goes with us, he is our shield.

We read Psalm 18 today, how eloquent David has become about the relationship he had developed with God!  The Psalm starts, "I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield ... "  David loved the LORD, he was to later write of him, "he is my steadfast love and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield ..." [Psalm 144:2]

This relationship with the Creator surely had its foundation at the time David was watching over his father's sheep in his youth.  In today's Psalm he declares, "the LORD my God lightens my darkness ... his way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him." [Psalm 18:28,30] As we read “the word of Lord” we will find it will prove true for us.

David's perception of the wonder of the life we live - when it is lived in service to the LORD and His son - is as true today as it was then. The times are likely to increase – when we need to “take refuge in him.”  Let us agree - with all our heart – with the words of Psalm 18:35 "You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great."  

-------

- DC

09 January 2015

Genesis 17; 18

Psalms 19; 20; 21

Matthew 11  

"WALK BEFORE ME AND BE BLAMELESS"                                                                                             

Abraham is one of the three outstanding characters in the Old Testament (the other two are Moses and David).  Genesis 17 tells us that when Abraham was 99 the LORD appeared and said, “I am God Almighty, walk before me and be blameless” that I may make my covenant between me and you …” [Genesis 17:1-2]

Abraham’s acts of faith were an essential ingredient in following God’s injunction to “walk before me and be blameless.” We read how God changed his name to Abraham saying, “I have made you the father of a multitude of nations” [Genesis 17:5].  Notice the present tense!  In God’s eyes there is no time, he sees the future as he sees the present, to him they are all one!

Paul understood this when he wrote of believers possessing the same faith as Abraham in Romans 4.  He “is the father of all who believe … who also walk in the footsteps of the faith of our father Abraham … who is the father of us all, as it is written, I have made you the father of many nations’ – in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist.” [Romans 4:11,12,16,17] – except in the mind of God.

Paul continues, Abraham “grew strong in his faith … fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised.  That is why his faith was counted to him as righteousness.  But the words ‘it was counted to him’ were not written for his sake alone, but for ours also … who believe …" [Romans 4:20,23,24]  Abraham’s interaction with God is a powerful lesson to us which is further added to as we read Genesis 18.

There we read of “3 men” who come to Abraham and he immediately senses they are angels, one of whom is “the angel of his presence” [isaiah 63:9] bearing the name ‘Yahweh’ who says, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? For I have chosen him that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing righteousness …” [Genesis 18:17-19]  May he choose us for the same reason.

Part of the blameless walk before God is to share the way of God with our children and with others.  The Heb. word for ‘blameless’ does not mean sinless, only Christ was sinless, but the same Hebrew word is translated as ‘upright’ and also as ‘in sincerity’ in some places (eg Joshua 24:14; 2 Samuel 22:24,26)  The A.V. translation as ‘perfect’ can give us the wrong impression, so let us all aim to follow faithful Abraham and walk blameless before our God and our Lord. 

-------

- DC

10 January 2015

Genesis 19

Psalms 22

Matthew 12 

“EVERY CARELESS WORD”

Today's 12th chapter of Matthew is full of challenging sayings of Jesus.   The religious leaders saw their position and prestige among the people being undermined and they "conspired against him how to destroy him." [Matthew 12:14] They tried to slander him, to undermine his reputation, saying, ""It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons." [Matthew 12:24] 

There is scarcely any mention of 'demons' in the Old Testament; it was only when God's people mixed with idol worshipping nations, instead of destroying them that they are mentioned, see Psalm 106:34-37.  But in the Centuries immediately before Christ was born,  the Greeks had overrun the nation and their culture and language had permeated Jewish thought. There is one reference to "Baal-zebub, the god of Ekron" in the Old Testament - 2 Kings 1:4, what a slander it was against the power of the Holy Spirit  for the religious leaders to say what they did.

Jesus then challenges them, "every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.  And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven" [Matthew 12:31-32]    Food for careful thought in these words. The 2nd verse in Genesis tells us of God's spirit moving - as his creative work commenced - to say the world was not created by the power of God is a blasphemy that will not be forgiven.

Jesus completes his challenges to them by saying, "I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." [Matthew 12:36-37]  What is a "careless" word?  The Greek basically means, 'idle, useless' and its last occurrence in the Bible is in Peter's second letter, 1st chapter.   After listing all the qualities we should aim to add to our faith, he writes, "For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." [2 Peter 1:8]  Here the translators use the word "ineffective" instead of "careless"!   Are your words "ineffective"  - if they are that means they are wasted words, words without any real meaning, words that produce no fruit!  

Finally, remember how Jesus told his disciples, "If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you." [John 15:7]  But in the awe that develops in our hearts, the more we sense that we ”abide in” Christ,  the more our desire will be - to think and live and speak those things which please him and his (and our) Father. 

-------

- DC

11 January 2015

Genesis 20; 21

Psalms 23; 24; 25

Matthew 13  

“THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD”    

What is really so special about Psalms 23?  There are several popular hymns based on its words.  These must not be just words to us.  God’s words need to ‘live’ in our heart ­ not just go in one ear and out the other, as the saying is, which can happen so easily in today’s non-stop world. Thankfully today is a Sunday and for most there should be more time to pause and to meditate.  

The Psalms’ words’ encourage peace of mind ­ and this can be a rare blessing for many today!  “The LORD is my shepherd!”  Have you ever thought that Jesus would have seen his Father as his shepherd and what these words would have meant to him? See John 16:32 and ponder Isaiah 60:6-9 and how our Lord knew the scriptures, they came alive in his mind!   And in ours?  

The LORD shepherded David throughout his life, he “put away” his sin with Bathsheba and Uriah even before he asked, because he knew the overall condition of his heart.  However, David’s life went through more turmoil after that; but ponder the kind of Psalms this event caused David to write!  Then reflect on the value of those Psalms to many individuals ever since!   Truly, in God’s foreknowledge “all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose" [Romans 8:28]  Some of these things at first seem bad!  Have you had that experience? 

Good sheep are ever listening for their shepherd’s call.  If their motive is right they will never be in dire need, there will be “still waters” - and when life gets difficult the shepherd will make his presence felt and open the way forward..

Of course the need for restoration indicates some difficult or even desperate situation when the sheep might, for the moment, cry out, “My God why have you forsaken me?”  We read this in Psalm 22:1 which surely indicates David had some moment of desperation himself ­ before his greater son used those words before giving his climaxing cry, “It is finished” [John 19:30]

“He leads me in the paths of righteousness for his names sake”  [Psalm 23:3] Notice it is “for his name’s sake”- it is because we bear his name, we belong to him;  that happened when we took on his name in baptism ­ but it might be that you haven’t done that yet?  When we have done that we can say,  “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for you are with me” [Psalm 23:4]

There are few if any who have not experienced “valleys” at some stage ­ but it is the valleys that help us to appreciate the high hills and the vision they give to us.  Life that is lived on a flat plain provides no vision.

What are the “rod and staff” that comfort us?  They are symbols, we suggest, of strength and support and the control (when needed) exercised by the shepherd.  How marvellous is the vision of the last verse, “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever” 

-------

- DC

12 January 2015

Genesis 22; 23

Psalms 26; 27; 28

Matthew 14 

"THE LORD WILL PROVIDE"

Today in chapter 22 of Genesis we read of the climax to Abraham's life - the instruction from the LORD to "Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you." [Genesis 22:2]   This is the final test for Abraham's faith; it is a lesson for us on how the LORD builds upon tests to our faith;  Abraham's first test had been to leave his homeland and "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you." [Genesis 12:1]

One of the key foundations to our faith is to grasp the significance of God's dealings with Abraham and the promises God made to him. It is astonishing that so few see this key foundation to the gospel: yet Paul, in writing to the Galatians states, "the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, "In you shall all the nations be blessed. So then, those who are of faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith." [Galatians 3:8-9]  So many talk about the Gospel, so few have a Bible understanding of it. The first verse of the New Testament tells us the Christ is “the son of Abraham” as well as “of David.”

Isaac was so trusting of his father, a total bond had developed between them, that when he asks, "where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" [Genesis 22:7] Abraham replies, "God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son." And after Abraham's hand was stayed at the last second, and a ram was offered instead of Isaac, “Abraham called the name of that place, "The LORD will provide"; as it is said to this day, "On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided." That is where the Temple was built and the Lamb was ultimately provided - an offering for you and I;  becoming a mediator for God and for us!  

How often are Abraham's acts of faith held up as examples  in the New Testament! See Hebrews 11:17-19. The final point in the 3rd chapter in Galatians is, "if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise." [Galatians 3:29] What a significant "if" that is! Are you Christ's?

"The Lord will provide" Abraham said, and the Lord did provide - far more than the initial ram that Abraham offered. He provided, to quote the words of Peter in his first Epistle, "the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.  He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you  who, through him, are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God." [1 Peter 1:19-21]  

He was manifest, for your sake and mine - and for all who are seeking an eternal meaning to their lives.  Let us make sure we have heard the "loud voice" that said, "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honour and glory and blessing!" [Revelation 5:12]  May we, through his grace, be there.

-------

- DC

13 January 2015

Genesis 24

Psalms 29; 30

Matthew 15  

“… CLOTHED WITH GLADNESS”

How stimulating are the Psalms of David.  What an example they are for us in aiding us to develop our relationship with our Creator.  Think of David’s spirit of mind as he wrote, “O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me …” [Psalm 30:2]

David’s life had times of difficulty  – and whose life hasn’t – but he perceives that God’s “favour is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." [Psalm 30:5]  David had times of great need, and do we not all experience this to some degree (for some. to great degree).  David wrote, "To you, O LORD, I cry, and to the Lord I plead for mercy:  What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it tell of your faithfulness?  Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me! O LORD, be my helper!  You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness" [Psalm 30:8-11] 

We have an example of this, of a journey that ended in gladness in Genesis 24 today.  We read of God's guidance and favour to Abraham through watching over the actions of his servant so that he was successful in obtaining the right kind of wife for Isaac.   

Back in Psalm 30 we noticed how in verse 8, David used  the memorial name of God (YAHWEH – this is where   LORD is in capitals), but then he wrote, "to the Lord (Adonai) I plead for mercy" [Psalm 30:8] (although the A V still put LORD in capitals but the ESV and other translations faithfully follow the Hebrew text).  Can we suggest that this is an intimation of the role of our Lord today. The Hebrew Word Adonai is first used in words Abraham spoke in his conversation with his Creator "in a vision" - see Genesis 15:2. This takes our thoughts to the teaching of Jesus, "Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad. Can we “see” the coming day? Remember what Paul told the Corinthians; “we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.” [2 Corinthians 4:18]  What can you “see”?

May we, in our reading (followed by meditation) of God's word,  be "clothed with gladness" - a gladness that flows out from the relationship we have developed with our Lord.  When we come to Psalm 45:6-7 we will read, "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever. The sceptre of your kingdom is a sceptre of uprightness; you have loved righteousness and hated wickedness. Therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness"  These are words which are picked up in Hebrews [Hebrews 1:8-9] and applied to Jesus.  Understanding them correctly requires deep thought. Carefully consider this,  just as Jesus, represents God, so we have to become more and more like Christ, to represent him – and then, in his kingdom we will be "clothed with gladness" for evermore in a wondrous relationship.

-------

- DC 

14 January 2015

Genesis 25; 26

Psalms 31

Matthew 16  

"MY TIMES ARE IN YOUR HAND" 

How thought provoking are the perceptions of David which he expresses in Psalm 31, "Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you ..." [Psalm 31:19] and then he adds, "and worked for those who take refuge in you... "  How much is it possible (probable?) that we will be in a situation this year of really seeking to find refuge in the Lord?  In some countries this seems to be more likely than others.   

David is not perfect in character, only our Lord achieved that, but in the relationship which David established with his Creator he declares, "I will rejoice and be glad in your steadfast love, because you have seen my affliction; you have known the distress of my soul,  and you have not delivered me into the hand of the enemy; you have set my feet in a broad place." [Psalm 31:7-8]  He says, "I hear the whispering of many ­ terror on every side! ­ as they scheme together against me, as they plot to take my life." [Psalm 31:13] But this is followed by a really significant declaration, "But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, 'You are my God.'   My times are in your hand ... Make your face shine on your servant; save me in your steadfast love!" [Psalm 31:14-16]

We saw this as we read of the life of Abraham and more than one brother in Christ we have known has sensed that their times are in God's hand - this is more clearly evident when we look back on the path travelled!  Truly, Paul declared, "we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." [Romans 8:28]  We see this as, overall, being for the “good” of God’s purpose, as we saw with Abraham.  Paul goes on to write about "those who he predestined" - but the reality of this is only seen in our lives we when look back on the path travelled; Abraham would have seen this!

As our world falls apart - more and more - we are going to need to sense. as we "work together with him" [2 Corinthians 6:1], that our Lord's guiding hand is there and our "times are in his hand."  It is wonderful stimulus in our minds to memorise the last 2 verses of today's Psalm, "Love the LORD, all you his saints! The LORD preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.  Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the LORD!" [Psalm 31:23-24] 

-------

- DC

15 January 2015

Genesis 27

Psalms 32

Matthew 17  

JACOB AND ESAU

There is a degree of contrast between the brothers we read of in the Old Testament compared to the New.  We read today in Genesis [Genesis 27] of the friction between the twin brothers Jacob and Esau. We read earlier that Esau had despised his birthright [Genesis 25:34] and Jacob bought it for some stew. Today we read that Jacob, at the prompting of his mother had ‘stolen’’ the blessing Isaac intended for Esau [Genesis 27:36] with the result that Esau had started to think of killing Jacob [Genesis 27:42]. This reminds us of the very first set of brothers, Cain and Abel: also of Joseph and his brothers; further still of David and his brothers!

Now when we come to the New Testament we are struck by the contrast; among the 12 disciples that Jesus called [Matthew 4:18-21] and who travelled with him were two sets of brothers, James and John and Simon Peter and  Andrew. Now, there is no hint of jealousy between them, apart from the problem all 12 experienced (prior to the crucifixion of their Master) seeking to know who was going to be the greatest in the kingdom [Matthew 18:1-4] 

Human nature seems to be such that brothers-in-the flesh fail to get on well together. However, when they come to Christ the scene changes for both are seeking to serve Christ so human frictions disappear under the influence of the his teaching. This should especially be the case when both are working side by side in the service of Jesus. It seems that Peter had at least one other brother apart from Andrew and this brother was causing him much frustration. We assume this brother was not following Christ.  We will read tomorrow the conversation which Peter and Jesus have about this problem.

“Peter came up and said … ‘Lord, how often will my brother sin against me and I forgive him? As many as seven times?’ Jesus said to him, ‘I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven." [Matthew 18:21-22] In the spirit of Christ there is no limit to the attitude of forgiveness.  The same applies to sisters of course!  Do you recall what we read last Saturday?  Jesus said, “whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother” [Matthew 12:50]  Let us all shed a little more light in this world of darkness by doing the will of the Father.  

-------

- DC

16 January 2015

Genesis 28; 29

Psalms 33

Matthew 18  

"LET YOUR STEADFAST LOVE … BE UPON US " 

David's' Psalms continue to stir our hearts to look ever more deeply into the wonder of our relationship with our Creator and the evidence, from a personal point of view, of that relationship.  This is parallel, arising as we read a meditate on Matthew's record,  with the reality of our relationship with our Saviour.  

David writes, "For the word of the LORD is upright, and all his work is done in faithfulness.  He loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the steadfast love of the LORD." [Psalm 33:4-5] which first makes us think of the kingdom, but then to meditate on the wonder of his creation around us and how bountiful it is when made use of in the right way - but how human beings, in some places, are harming God's creation.

In the next verse David declares, "By the word of the LORD the heavens were made ..." and we think of how 'blind' humans have become to the wonder of this; they cannot 'see' with their minds because they are looking to closely, too minutely - and not standing back as it were - and taking in the wonder of the total picture - they think they are 'alone' in their existence, although some are desperately searching the farthest recesses of space wondering if there might be some form of 'intelligence' out there.

David's next words are like a prayer, "Let all the earth fear the LORD; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!"  [Psalm 33:8] And we say, we believe that will soon happen - and cannot happen soon enough!  "From where he sits enthroned he looks out on all the inhabitants of the earth ... and observes all their deeds." [Psalm 33:14-15] Are we as conscious of this as we should be - in our own deeds - or lack of them - in his service? 

If we are truly serving him then Psalm 33:18 will inspire us, "Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear him, on those who hope in his steadfast love,  that he may deliver their soul ..."  May our earnest prayer be the same as David's in his closing verses, "Our soul waits for the LORD; he is our help and our shield.  For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name.  Let your steadfast love, O LORD, be upon us, even as we hope in you."

-------

- DC

17 January 2015

Genesis 30

Psalms 34

Matthew 19  

“WHAT GOOD DEED MUST I DO?”

Today we read some very challenging words from the mouth of our Lord in Matthew 19. Human nature is such that many try to manipulate laws to get around them; solicitors make plenty of money as a result of this. The fleshly minds of some are inclined to think they can ‘earn’ salvation by what they do!  This is impossible!   Salvation, to be in God’s kingdom and live for ever in serving him, is a reward, given because of our faith, and our resultant attitudes and actions, because of that faith.

A man came up to Jesus and said, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?" [Matthew 19:16]   A discussion about keeping what we call the 10 commandments follows, and Jesus adds in one that is not in those commandments, " You shall love your neighbour as yourself" [Matthew 19:19]; but it is in Leviticus 19:18, it is central to putting the commandments of the law into practice in the right spirit. 

This discussion pleased the young man but then he asks, "What do I still lack?" The Master's answer hit at the heart of his problem for when he heard Jesus say, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." [Matthew 19:21] 

"He went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions." [Matthew 19:22].  This causes Jesus to tell his disciples, "Truly, I say to you, only with difficulty will a rich person enter the kingdom ..."  Back in Matthew 6:24 we read Jesus’ words, "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."  

The young man's trust in his possessions overwhelmed his interest in gaining eternal life.  What are we most interested in?  Do we seek to be "perfect"?  Back in Genesis 17:1, the LORD challenged Abraham to "walk before me, and be blameless" This is virtually the same word. 

We will read the same thing in Psalm 37:18 "The LORD knows the days of the blameless, and their heritage will remain forever;   they are not put to shame in evil times ..."  This reminds us of Paul's words to the Ephesians about "making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.”  Then Paul adds, “Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."  [Ephesians 5:16-17]  Let us make the best use of our time, knowing that, as Jeremiah puts it, the Lord's "eyes are open to all the ways of the children of man, rewarding each one according to his ways and according to the fruit of his deeds." [Jeremiah 32:19]  May our deeds produce good fruit.

-------

- DC

18 January 2015

Genesis 31

Psalms 35

Matthew 20  

FAVOURITISM AND PREJUDICE                                                                                                               

One characteristic of human nature that God does not like, which was evident in our readings today in Genesis, is the effect of favouritism and its resulting unfairness and potential to create prejudice.  We see God’s reaction to Jacob ’s favouritism toward Rachel and dislike of Leah.  Rachel was party to this as is evident from Leah’s comment to her, “You have taken away my husband” [Genesis 30:15] and Leah’s approach to Jacob , “I have hired you with my son’s mandrakes” [Genesis 30:16]

We must be thankful that from the time of Christ, the principle of one man one wife that God established at the beginning was restored.  There is no indication that the descendents of Seth had more than one wife and Noah certainly didn’t. 

Prejudice is also evident among the sons of Laban, for while they acknowledged the blessings that came during the first 14 years that Jacob was with them, they resent Jacob providing for his own household [Genesis 31:1] and even Rachel and Leah came to be regarded by him as “foreigners” [Genesis 31:15].  This is a lesson for those who benefit from situations not of their making to act wisely and without prejudice when those blessings cease. 

We will have another lesson of the curse of favouritism when we read of the prejudice that occurs between the sons of Jacob because of his favouritism toward Joseph.   Yet the remarkable thing in several of these situations is that God makes use of human prejudices and jealousies, for he gives us freewill and sometimes weaves his foreknowledge of human action to fit in with his ordained end.  “For those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose” [Romans 8:28] 

We must realize this is for the good of his purpose; it might not necessarily seem to be for ours at the time, such as when Joseph was put into the pit by his brothers!   Paul’s words to the Philippians are instructive; he says that some people do things (in this case preaching) “from envy and rivalry, but others from good will.  The latter do it out of love …” [Philippians 1:15-16] But whatever the motive “Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice.” [Philippians 1:18] Let love motivate us in all that we do – remember how Jesus said his followers should follow God’s example and “love your enemies” [Matthew 5:44] illustrating this by how God did not show favouritism in the provision of the sun and the rain.  

--------

- DC

19 January 2015

Genesis 32; 33

Psalms 36

Matthew 21  

“WE DO NOT KNOW”

Today we read of the great welcome the ordinary people gave to Jesus as he rode on the back of a donkey. “The whole city was stirred up" [Matthew 21:10] and we ponder - and find it impossible to imagine - the incredible drama of the scene when he comes again.

What a welcome he had from the ordinary people on this occasion. But what a challenge it was to the religious leaders!  They had allowed the Temple to become "a den of robbers" said Jesus [Matthew 21:13].   All sorts of trade was allowed there - instead of it being solely "a house of prayer" and worship.  "They were indignant" because of hearing "the children crying out in the temple, ‘Hosanna to the Son of David!’" [Matthew 21:15] which meant they were calling him the Messiah.

"The chief priests and the elders of the people came up to him as he was teaching, and said, "By what authority are you doing these things ..." [Matthew 21:23]  Jesus answered them with a question about "The baptism of John, from where did it come? From heaven or from man?" [Matthew 21:25] They debate how to answer being influenced because a "crowd" is listening and avoid saying either 'Yes' or 'No' - " So they answered, 'We do not know.' " [Matthew 21:26]

In a sense we think there would be a similar answer today from many teachers if asked - 'is the Bible really a message from God?' Those who do know that it is, really knowing this in their hearts, know that it contains principles by which they should aim to live in their lives!    But sadly, all too many it seems, do not want to completely admit, even to themselves, it is the word of God. They might say, ‘it contains his word’ and pick and choose the parts they feel comfortable with. 

Back in Matthew 15 we read how Jesus said of these leaders, "in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.' [Matthew 15:9]  Jesus further said, " they are blind guides. And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit." [Matthew 15:14]   What a lesson and warning this is for us!  How often in history has 'God's word' been misused by ‘priests and elders’ in order to be seen to be a person(s) in authority and to exercise their sense of authority.

When we come to read Psalm 92 we must  meditate on the inspired message there! "The righteous flourish ... They are planted in the house of the LORD; they flourish in the courts of our God.  They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green,  to declare that the LORD is upright; he is my rock..."  May we be inspired by  these words, may the Lord be our “rock” .

-------

- DC 

20 January 2015

Genesis 34; 35

Psalms 37

Matthew 22 

“WHICH IS THE GREAT COMMANDMENT?”

Today Matthew's record of the life of our Lord reveals how events were building up to a climax.  Jesus was becoming more challenging in his contact with the Pharisees and Sadducees; he bluntly tells the Sadducees they "are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God" [Matthew 22:29] in refusing to believe there will be a resurrection.  Those raised, adds Jesus, "neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels ..." 

There follows a confrontation with the Pharisees: "one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 'Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?' " [Matthew 22:35-36] The answer of Jesus goes right to the heart  of his message to all human beings.  While belief in the person of Jesus and his coming kingdom is important, indeed our acceptance is essential, Jesus goes beyond this and tells them, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind" and stresses, "This is the great and first commandment." [Matthew 22:37-38]

How totally different life on earth would be if the inhabitants of the world all accepted and practiced that commandment.  And the second commandment!?  "You shall love your neighbour as yourself." [Matthew 22:39]  Some are astonished to realize this was not one of the original ten commandments given at Mt. Sinai - but it is found in Leviticus 19:18.  Actually the first commandment was not given at Mt. Sinai either, but can be found in Deuteronomy 6:5, an essential part of Moses message just before he died the people entered the promised land.

The Mosaic Law was primarily a law for a nation and the Pharisees stressed the original law as given to the nation.  Christ's stress is on God's Law for individuals.  The keeping of the second commandment will follow naturally when everyone keeps the first.  We must keep them now - and also - as we read today in David's Psalm 37, "Delight (ourselves) in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.  Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act ... Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him" [Psalm 37:4,5,7] May our daily reading of his word be a "delight" and the desires of our heart be to experience the endless wonders of his kingdom.   The ‘delights’ in today’s world are mere ‘froth’ in comparison. 

-------

- DC 

21 January 2015

Genesis 36

Psalms 38

Matthew 23 

"O JERUSALEM, JERUSALEM ..." 

Jerusalem is often referred to as the 'City of Peace' - and so it will be - ultimately, but not under human control: except in the time of Solomon, it has usually been the opposite! David wrote a marvellous Psalm  'Pray for the peace of Jerusalem! 'May they be secure who love you!  Peace be within your walls ..." [Psalm 122:6-7]  A time is coming when it will be "the joy of the whole earth" [Psalm 48:2]

We read today of the lamentation of Jesus about the city; "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!" [Matthew 23:37]  Cannot the same now be said, in a sense, of the whole world! 

Beginning at Jerusalem after our Lord ascended to heaven how few were found to be willing, especially as the generations passed.  Jesus' appeal was to those "with ears to hear" [Matthew 11:15]  In the early days many came to realize what value for their future there was in such hearing! But today nearly everything around us is for what human godless hearts want to hear - and be entertained with.

How  significant it is that no less than 7 times in today's chapter Jesus said, "Woe to you ..." See Matthew 23:13,15,16,23,25,27,29.  This was said to the religious leaders, calling them "blind guides" [Matthew 23:16].  And isn't that just as true today with the Pope being the leading example.  

After uttering the seven woes Jesus said, "Truly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation." [Matthew 23:36]  And so it did - the Temple and the City were destroyed because of their spiritual blindness in rejecting  their Messiah. 

And what of today!  What events await this world for its’ rejection of belief in God!  What will God do to our world - events parallel to his destruction of Jerusalem.  There are some awesome Old Testament prophecies, for example, Isaiah 26:21, " For behold, the LORD is coming out from his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity, and the earth will disclose the blood shed on it, and will no more cover its slain."  And look at the previous verse!  Then note the appeal at the end of today's Psalm 38, "O my God, be not far from me! Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation!"

The final words of Jesus "before he left the Temple" with which our chapter ends – were – "you will not see me again, until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"  May we all be there say that – and it could happen very soon!    

-------

- DC

22 January 2015

Genesis 37

Psalms 39; 40

Matthew 24  

“ANGELS ... WILL GATHER HIS ELECT"

We have a particularly mind stirring set of chapters today! Once again God uses human jealousies and wilfulness; on this occasion this leads to cause that special child Joseph to be sent to Egypt to prepare the way for the development of the  12 sons of Jacob to become the 12 tribes of the nation of Israel (to which his name had been changed).

Then we have David's inspiring Psalm,  "I waited patiently for the LORD; he ... set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure." [Psalm 40:1-2]  Where are our “feet”?

The words of Jesus we read in the 24th chapter of Matthew provoke our minds to consider our own sense of waiting patiently.  We reflect on our own anticipations over our lifetime. His disciples wanted to know, "when will these things be?" [Matthew 24:3] that is, when will this Temple be destroyed? He had just spoken of this!   But they also asked, "and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"- not realizing the two events were entirely different!

"This Gospel," says Jesus, "will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." [Matthew 24:14] Many of his words are specially awesome, "there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be" again.[Matthew 24:21] And then he added, "But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short" otherwise "no human being would be saved."

“For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man." [Matthew 24:27] "... all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds ...”  Will TV and other instant visual communications be used?  We sense it will be much more than this!  But his next words are for us! “And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect ..." [Matthew 24:30-31]

He then says, "Heaven and earth will pass away "  (meaning the present order of things and the rulers),"but my words will not pass away."  And so we have the wonder and the challenge of his words today.  Jesus adds,  "But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son …." [Matthew 24:36]   

Jesus tells us," you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." [Matthew 24:44] When the "angels" come to "gather his elect" let us be ready, let us not lose our sense of anticipation, let us marvel at the privilege, we pray we have, of being among "his elect."  

-------

- DC

23 January 2015

Genesis 38

Psalms 41; 42; 43

Matthew 25  

"WHY ARE YOU CAST DOWN?" 

We all go through stages in life when we feel mentally, at least a little, down. A particular  pathway in our life has threatened to trip us up, maybe considerably!   It could be that health issues have clouded our skies.  It is then we need to remember and meditate on the Psalm (42) we read today.

There was a time, reflects the Psalmist when "my  tears have been my food day and night" [Psalm 42:3] so that some say to him, "Where is your God?" Some who are sceptical about belief in God can, at times, challenge us when we are not in a mood, because of events, to give a positive response.  

Our Psalm starts, "As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God...."  We picture a thirsty deer in a desert place longing to find a flowing stream!  Similarly there are times when we thirst for God - and although his 'word' is there on our bookshelf we, like the Psalmist who penned these words,  say to ourselves, "Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?" [Psalm 42:5]

He then goes on to write as he sort of talks himself out of his depression, "Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation  ... therefore I remember you from the land of Jordan and of Hermon ... the roar of your waterfalls; all your breakers and your waves have gone over me."    They have 'gone over’ him, they have not swept him away – they have served their purpose in God’s oversight of his life – and ours!  In Psalm 119, we will read a significant observation, “Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word.   You are good and do good..." [Psalm 119:67-68]  And we “do good” following God’s goodness. – we should primarily do it for the "good" of God's purpose!  Paul made this point in Romans 8:28, "we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."

We think of Peter and Paul and other disciples and the crisis they variously experienced in following in Christs' footsteps.  We also think, and this is not generally realised, that the Psalms (called then the Psalter) was the first part of the Bible (also the Gospel of John) translated into the emerging English language 800 years ago. They were an inspiration to good and worthwhile ways living. Some memorised them strengthening awareness of the true God in the minds of those emerging from the mythology of human imagination.  And today!!  Can we invent a new word!?  They are an inspiration to those trying to turn away and remain unaffected by 'flesh-ology'!     

The final words of the Psalm sum up its message. "Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?”  His answer!  “Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God." May that be our answer too! 

-------

- DC 

24 January 2015

Genesis 39; 40

Psalms 44

Matthew 26 

"HOW THEN SHOULD THE SCRIPTURES BE FULFILLED …?"

We read today [Matthew 26] of the arrest of Jesus  - accomplished under cover of darkness - the work of Judas Iscariot who loved money more than Jesus, although we believe he was expecting Jesus to miraculously escape from those sent to arrest him - as he had seen happen in the past (See Luke 4:29-30) and he would keep the "thirty pieces of silver" he had received as down payment [Matthew 26:15] 

As they arrest him, one of his disciples, Peter (see John 18:10) in a vain bravado act  "uses his sword and struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his ear." [Matthew 26:51]  It has been suggested that Judas was standing next to him and Peter, in ‘wild endeavour’ was aiming for him!  Note the reprimand of Jesus, "Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword." [Matthew 26:52] 

This is a principle all true followers should bear in mind, never again is there any indication his followers carried weapons. As the book of Acts shows us, when they were arrested, if it was the Lord's will, they were miraculously set free. On this occasion Jesus said, "Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so?" [Matthew 26:53-54]

We are in awe of what will soon "be fulfilled" in our days as this godless world reaches its climax - we read of Jesus' predictions 2 days ago. For us the most marvellous event to "be fulfilled" will be the resurrection when true followers become "like angels" [Matthew 22:30].  At that time, as we read today, the "high priest" [Matthew 26:62-65] will be there, for Jesus told him, "I tell you … you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of power and coming on the clouds of heaven." [Matthew 26:64] What judgement awaits him!  Look at Revelation 1:7.

And what will we see and experience? How close we are to this most momentous event is a secondary question! The main question - and the answer we decide here and now - is whether  we are among the sheep or the goats.   

At his return, as we read yesterday, "he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you' " [Matthew 25:33-34]  Which side are you on? Or haven't you chosen yet? If you don’t chose you will most certainly be among the goats.. 

-------

- DC

25 January 2015

Genesis 41

Psalms 45

Matthew 27  

"THEREFORE GOD, YOUR GOD HAS ANOINTED YOU"                                                                        

Our Psalms reading today is at first puzzling in its reference to God.  What is highly interesting is that this (the quote above) is taken up and quoted in the letter to the Hebrews [Hebrews 1:9] concerning the relationship of Jesus Christ and God. It is possible, but potentially misleading and confusing to refer to Jesus as God; this is one of only two passages that do so.  Again and again we are told he is “the son of God” and that the time will ultimately come when “he delivers the kingdom to God … that God may be all in all.” [1 Corinthians 15:24,28]

What Psalms and Hebrews do show is that the Almighty is called the God of Jesus.  We recall Jesus himself said the same thing after he rose from the dead, telling Mary Magdalene, “I am ascending to my Father and your father, to my God and your God” [John 20:17] John completes this chapter by saying, “these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ (the Messiah) the son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name.” [John 20:31]

Note the phrase – “that by believing”  This sort of belief is not something you accept in a casual fashion. If you believe your house is on fire you immediately do all you can about it!  Similarly, if we really see the need to have real “life” – that is, “life in his name” by belonging to him in the way he has appointed, we take action.

The Psalm (45) tells us that because “you have loved righteousness and hated wickedness. Therefore God, your God has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions, your robes are all fragrant with myrrh …” [Psalm 45:7-8]. There follows a poetic picture of the kingdom and those blessed to be there, “with joy and gladness they are led along as they enter the palace of the king.” [Psalm 45:15]   

Those who truly believe in Jesus will one day also be “anointed with the oil of gladness”. In a sense, this happened to Joseph as we read today in Genesis [Genesis 41]; the end result of his faithfulness to God in living by God’s principles.  But our Psalm today concludes by stating that those who “have loved righteousness” that “I will cause your name to be remembered in all generations; therefore nations will praise you for ever and ever.” The sense of “name” is reputation.  Not many today have a “good” name – but in that coming time, only those who do so now – having gained such a  “name” in the sight God, will experience all the blessings of being “anointed.”

-------

- DC