TFTD - September 2014

Resource Manager

01 September 2014

"There is something very touching about the courage and faith and self-sacrifice of the small farmer who, when sowing time comes, must take of his little store of seed and give it up, sacrificing it beyond recall when he places it in its bed of earth. The loss may mean less food for many days; but to hold it back would mean permanent loss, for if it is saved to be eaten there will be no harvest, and no seed for further sowings. Such experiences of the conflict of present need and future good would be known to almost every generation of Israelites with their recurring periods of drought and bad harvests. On occasions the seed was sown with tears in the acuteness of a felt hunger. But the Psalmist says, “They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him” (Psalm 126:5,6)."

- John Carter

The Gospel of John

02 September 2014

"Human nature combines with history to demand that power must be in natural opposition to humility and servitude. In revealing His love to man God shows how false such a conception is. He sent His Son for the salvation of man. We look for a revelation of glory and power; we find a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. We look for a conscience-stricken people bowing in reverence before his majesty, but we see the Baptist lifting him from the flowing waters of the Jordan. We wait for the fiery judgment of Heaven upon a faithless people, but we see the gentle touch of healing and hear the contented cries of little children. We look for the denunciation of the traitor, but we see the Saviour kneeling at his feet with water and towel."

- Melva Purkis

A Life of Jesus

03 September 2014

"It is easy to praise God when one is happy, and it is right to do so, thanking Him for His favour. "Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not ..."

Youth can forget God. So can prime and age. But perhaps there is more to make youth forget Him. The underlying idea is for all to remember him at all times: and to remember Him is to be continually aware of his dealings with us.

How can such awareness evoke other than praise in us? He has given us life, this life so valued that even our instincts teach us self-preservation. We are endowed with faculties to enjoy life; the earth about us teems with interest and wonder, and "God hath given it to the children of men."

- Catherine Morgan

Think On These Things 

04 September 2014 

"There are two sides to salvation. The divine side which is grace and the human side which is obedient faith. Evangelicals argue that if one “works” for salvation then the reward is paid in wages rather than a gift. This is an over-simplification. God gives us food, but we must work for it. God gave Joshua the city of Jericho, but he was still commanded to march around the walls for seven days (Joshua 6:2,4). Likewise salvation is the free gift of God, but man must comply with the conditions."

- Ron Abel

Wrested Scriptures

06 September 2014

"A man's reaction to the needs of the body to which he has supposedly given allegiance is often a measure of the true character of the man himself. Self-seeking, opportunism and disregard for the lasting well-being of the corporate fellowship can cause untold unhappiness both to the individual and to the higher cause of the association and community spirit by which his fellows live. This is especially true of our relationship as individuals to the ecclesia and community to which we belong. Our attitude to the body is our attitude to Christ. The church is his body. If we are superior to it, we lack humility; if we are divisive within it, we deny the atonement by which we were reconciled and made one."

- Harry Tennant

The Man David

07 September 2014

"Paul desires us to remember the one certainty in our lives, and remembering it, to order our lives accordingly. There is no occasion for despondency and alarm, provided we are in earnest about our standing in the day of Christ. It is true that we fail and we sin; but God "knows our frame, and remembers that we are dust", and has made merciful provision for our weakness. There is no limit to God's forgiveness if it is sought in accordance with His conditions." 

- F.W. Turner

Meditations 

08 September 2014

"A little more waiting for God; a little more patience; a little more endurance of evil and continuance in well-doing; and the hour will arrive. The moment will be here when we shall suddenly be confronted by the great fact that the Lord is in the earth. Great will be the joy of the saints ..."

- Robert Roberts
Seasons of Comfort

09 September 2014

"It is well today not to overlook the pastoral aspect of Christian teaching. The ideal is not so much to have pupils learning a set of doctrines, which may be more correct than nutritious, but to have them first realize their starving condition, then lead them to the Chief Pastor who said: "I am the bread of life; he that cometh to me shall never hunger, and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." The true pastor does not lead his flock to rich grass on cliff edges, nor does he always keep them in one small field."

- James Norris
The First Century Ecclesia

10 September 2014       

"There was perfect unity between the Father and Jesus, but the latter was dependent upon the Father; he had knowledge of the Father's acts, and the Father's will was his guide. He had the most intimate relationship with the Father, who made full disclosure to him of His purpose. The Son “sees”; the Father “shows”; and they are knit together in love. And “greater things” are in store, which will cause them (the Jews) to marvel with fear and astonishment (John 5:19-20)."

- John Carter

The Gospel of John

11 September 2014

"The time of reckoning is drawing near, the time when one shall be taken and the other left, the time when we which are alive and remain will be caught up together to be ever with the Lord, when the elect will be gathered from the four winds. Well might the apostle exhort us to pass the time of our sojourning with fear, to give diligence to make our calling and election sure, and always to press on to the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

- S. Field
Immortality (1960)

12 September 2014

"Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord" is the exhortation of James (James 5:7-8). Just as the farmer plants his crop and then has to wait for the harvest in Nature’s own good time, so we must work on patiently, throughout our lives, until in his own time the Lord returns to reward those who have waited on, and for, him."

- Len Richardson

Fundamental Doctrines (1978)

13 September 2014

"To those who overcome stands the promise, "I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God; and I will write upon him my new name" (Revelation 3:12). This is the final, the imperishable writing of immortality; our spiritual heritage if we are found to be of the children of Zion, when "the Lord shall count when he writeth up the people, that this man was born there" (Psalm 87:6)."

- D.N. Wood

So I Write ... (1954)

14 September 2014

“Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up” (James 4:10). There is a qualification required for that help. It is true humility: “God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble” (James 4:6). Then we can do the unaccustomed act from which we are inclined to shrink, though we do it with awkward bungling fingers. True humility consists not so much in thinking less of ourselves, as in not thinking of ourselves at all. Paul had to suffer trial and disappointment before he came through to trust in God completely (2 Corinthians 2:7-10). Humility of heart is the opposite of vainglory, just as humility of mind is the opposite of pride."

- Claud Lamb

Not Hearers Only (1986)

15 September 2014

"The growth of this sense of our personal unworthiness will make it easier for us to carry out some commandments which have been left us. "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God" (1 Peter 5:6). Knowing what we do, how can we do otherwise? It follows then that whenever we feel like rebelling against the hand of God, it must be that we have lost this sense of our personal shortcomings in His sight. But the apostle wrote one verse earlier: "Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility." When we are the reverse of humble with our brethren, the reason can only be that we are becoming too conscious of our own worth. Further: "Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you." If we find it hard to forgive our brethren, must it not be that we have forgotten our own offences, committed against God? ... Let us then meditate upon this great truth, the foundation of our faith, the well-spring of our devoted service, the beginning of our love: "God commendeth his love towards us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

- F.T. Pearce

Realizing the Truth (1945)

16 September 2014

"A heavy responsibility rests upon those who claim to be witnesses for Christ. We must neither hold back vital truth nor put forward anything that is false or doubtful. We must be faithful witnesses always remembering the living power of the One for whom we testify."

- I. Collyer

Proverbs (1936)

17 September 2014

"The meek will not leave their lives to chance. They will plan: but in planning they will say, "If the Lord will ..." Those words have a two-fold implication: the meek will make plans prayerfully so that they may be in harmony with God’s will; and they will submit to God’s will if He should not see fit to let the plans run their course. The plans will thus be on the one hand righteous, and on the other hand contingent. In both respects they will stand in contrast to the human spirit of arrogance. Where human nature boasts, they are "silent" before the Lord (Hebrew cf. Psalm 37:7)."

- L.G. Sargent

If the Lord Will (1958)

18 September 2014 

"When we learn of Jesus we put our knowledge in the right order. "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly of heart, and ye shall find rest unto your souls." Unless this is done our sense of values will be wrong and mere knowledge will not save us. As Herbert Spencer said: "When a man’s knowledge is not in order, the more of it he has, the greater will be his confusion."

- Ralph Smalley

The First Epistle to Timothy (1965)

19 September 2014

"There is no flaw in God’s arrangements. He who, in fit time, was led as a lamb to the slaughter, and stood like a sheep before its shearers dumb, opening not his mouth, will yet cause the world to tremble with the lion-roars of his mouth. "He shall not fail, nor be discouraged till he hath set judgment in the earth". (Isaiah 42:4)"

- Robert Roberts

Sunday Morning (1891)

20 September 2014

"Behold I come quickly, and my reward is with me, to give to every man according as his work shall be.” And what will be our reward? Are to-day’s works satisfactory? If not, then let us change, and that very quickly. Doubtless most of us plan to do better after a little. Let us be just as faithful right now as we expect to be some time next year. "Be wise to-day; ’tis madness to defer." "Then he shall reward every man according to his works."

- J.T. Irwin

Are you Keeping Back a Part of the Price? (1924)

21 September 2014

"Let the First Century disciples be an example to us. Let the reality of the Lord’s resurrection inspire us to dedication and service ... let us be sensitive to the momentous times in which we live and also to the way in which we live our lives. "Even so, Come, Lord Jesus."

- Geoff Henstock

The Power of His Resurrection (1997)

22 September 2014

"Peace is absolute composure. God, the Author of peace, has ordained that the final atmosphere of this troubled earth shall be peace. The "sea and the waves roaring" will give place to the sea of glass. The stilling of the Galilean storm presents a parable for all time."

- C.A. Macdonald

The Bond of Peace (1950)

24 September 2014 

"God is love. He gave His only begotten son so that we might not perish, and to provide us with a living example of the depth and extent of His love. Our response is to love Him, and such love can only be shown by obedience, as of children to a loving father. To love God is to do what He commands, and it issues in love for one another."

- Philip Hinde

The Attributes of God (1973)

25 September 2014    

"God’s love has been disclosed to us in a way that we can understand it. "He loved us and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins" (1 John 4:10). By our relationship with the Father we experience His love, and are obliged to share that love with one another, for "every one who loves the parent loves the child" (1 John 5:1). Jesus brought into the world a deeper and richer conception of love than the world had known before. He offered this love to his disciples in the form of a new commandment: "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you" (John 13:34)." 

- Harry Sheppard

Children of God (1961)