TFTBR - August 2014

Resource Manager

26 August 2014

1 Kings 21

Jeremiah 48

1 Corinthians 7  

“UNDIVIDED DEVOTION”

The Apostle Paul demonstrates what it is to give the Lord “undivided devotion” [1 Corinthians 7:35].  We have to acknowledge however that his case was exceptional, although there were others who remained single, e.g. Barnabas, as we will read tomorrow in 1 Corinthians 9:5-6. We note that Peter, the leading Apostle, had a wife [Matthew 8:14].  Jeremiah, whose long journey as a prophet  in serving the LORD we have nearly finished reading, is never mentioned as having a wife. 

Paul is sometimes misquoted as though he counsels believers not to marry; however, it is clear that Corinth is experiencing considerable chaos and Paul writes, after first admitting, “I have no command from the Lord,” that, “I think in view of the present distress it is good for a person to remain as he is….  Do not seek a wife.  But if you do marry, you have not sinned …” [1 Corinthians 7:25-28]    The vital thing is to become “firmly established in … heart” [1 Corinthians 7:37] and the daily feeding of our mind on godly thoughts and advice is a vital ingredient in achieving that.

An example of the opposite, of an unstable character with an unbelieving wife, is seen in the behaviour of Ahab in today’s chapter in 1 Kings 21.  Yet even he, after his evil wife Jezebel had orchestrated the death of Naboth, apparently without him being aware, an act that enabled him to gain Naboth’s vineyard; when he is confronted by and denounced by Elijah, “humbled himself before” God [1 Kings 21:29].  As a result God says, “I will not bring the disaster in his days: but in his son’s days I will bring the disaster ...”  However, as we will read tomorrow, it is soon God’s will that he shall die because he listens to false prophets rather than a prophet of the LORD and, despite disguising himself, is killed in battle. 

As life’s battles increase in these days, and, the world’s fears increase, let us try even harder to give to our Lord “undivided devotion” – and, if we have a wife or a husband and can do this together, then let us see, if we haven’t already seen, how much we can still accomplish in the service of our Lord and Saviour. 

-------

- DC

27 August 2014

1 Kings 22

Jeremiah 49

1 Corinthians 8; 9

“NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH”

Our readings today all provoke interesting and, to some extent, complex thoughts – but that is good: for just as our bodies benefit from physical exercise, so do our minds – from mental exercise. The interaction between Jehoshaphat the God-fearing king of Judah and Ahab the weak king of Israel is very instructive.  Jehoshaphat visits Ahab who invites him to join him in a war to recapture cities that the Syrian king has occupied.  Jehoshaphat wisely requests, “Inquire first the word of the LORD” [1 Kings 22:5] 

Ahab has about 400 prophets who all say, Go up for the Lord will give it into the hand of the king.” [1 Kings 22:6] But Jehoshaphat insists that this be confirmed by a prophet of the LORD (Yahweh).  Ahab says there is such a prophet, Micaiah, “but I hate him, for he never prophesies good concerning me …” [1 Kings 22:8]  One of Ahab’s prophets then claims, “Thus says the LORD … you shall push the Syrians until they are destroyed” [1 Kings 22:11] using “horns of iron” to demonstrate; “all the prophets support him” but what false prophets they all prove to be! 

When Micaiah arrives, he first says, “Go up and triumph” [1 Kings 22:15] but he does not say it is “the word of the LORD,” we suspect he speaks in a cynical voice. Ahab senses this and exclaims, “How many times shall I make you swear that you speak to me nothing but the truth in the name of the LORD”  [1 Kings 22:16]  The true prophet replies, “I saw all Israel scattered on the mountains , as sheep that have no shepherd.  And the LORD said, ‘These have no Master …” [1 Kings 22:17], indicating the death of Ahab who then exclaims to Jehoshaphat, “Did I not say he would not prophesy good concerning me, but evil?” [1 Kings 22:18]

Micaiah then tells a story which we understand as a parable that a “lying spirit” was sent by the LORD into “the mouth of all his (Ahab’s) prophets.” He adds, “the LORD has declared disaster for you.” [1 Kings 22:23] And as we read for ourselves the words of all the genuine prophets of the LORD, of which Jeremiah is one, we reflect on our own serious situation in today’s utterly godless world.  In Jeremiah we just read, “behold I am bringing disaster upon, all flesh, declares the LORD.” [Jeremiah 45:5] and earlier in his Jeremiah 23, “The anger of the LORD will not turn back until he has executed and accomplished the intents of his heart. In the latter days you will understand it clearly” [Jeremiah 23:20] 

This “disaster” is for those who follow the ways of Ahab and ignore God’s warnings – and today this seems to be just about the whole world!  God’s word is available in every language, but how many heed its’ warnings, nearly all leave it to gather dust! But the seekers who read to find “nothing by the truth” will survive.  Many today could meet the same fate as Ahab, and that may not be very far ahead.   

-------

- DC

28 August 2014

2 Kings 1; 2

Jeremiah 50

1 Corinthians 10 

“COME TOGETHER, WEEPING AS THEY …” 

Today’s readings convey a wide mixture of information and resultant thoughts. God removes Elijah, and Elisha takes up his role, his authority being confirmed by several miracles.  Although Elijah is taken “up into heaven” – it is obviously not into heaven itself!  It is not clear where he is taken – but a letter is later received from him – see 2 Chronicles 21:12. Paul tells the Corinthians about the things that “were written down for our instruction” [1 Corinthians 10:11] and those concerned about Paul’s warnings would eagerly seek such writings, they would not be easily available as they are today.

In Jeremiah we read a lot about Babylon’s destiny, her doom!  Almost all the people are now in captivity in parts of Babylon, Daniel and Ezekiel are there, it is the power that dominated the ‘Middle East’ of that era.  But God’s message through Jeremiah is, “The word that the LORD spoke concerning Babylon … declare among the nations … Babylon is taken …” [Jeremiah 50:1-2]

We know that the Babylon of those days dramatically ceased, we will read of that in Daniel, but it is obvious Jeremiah is granted a vision far beyond that era, “… in that time, declares the LORD, the people of Israel and the people of Judah shall come together, weeping as they come, and they shall seek the LORD their God.  They shall ask the way to Zion, with faces turned toward it, saying, ‘Come, let us join ourselves to the LORD in an everlasting covenant …” [Jeremiah 50:5-6]   

After the death of Solomon the nation split in two.  When their Messiah came they did not recognise him, they had not carefully read the message of the prophets, especially Isaiah. Jeremiah is now told of a future time, “In those days and at that time, declares the LORD … I will pardon those whom I leave as a remnant.” [Jeremiah 50:20] As a result of this pardoning they “come together, weeping as they come … to seek the LORD their God.”

We watch to see this happen – surely it is parallel with the incredible dramas to happen at the return of Christ, their true Messiah.  The chapter ends with a statement that finds clear parallels in the book of Revelation, at “the capture of Babylon the earth shall tremble, and her cry shall be heard among the nations.” 

In Revelation 18:9,19 we read, “Alas! Alas!  … you mighty city, Babylon!  For in a single hour your judgement has come … she has been laid waste”. Babylon in Hebrew is actually the word ‘babel’ – and in Genesis we are briefly told of the dramatic end of that city after the earths’ cleansing in the time of Noah. Our world was initially cleansed by message of Christ, this was renewed to some extent when God’s word was freely available in all languages – but now we face the time when “the earth shall tremble.”  Will you tremble? Only those who are really on ‘the Lord’s side’ will not, for the angels will gather them. 

-------

- DC

29 August 2014

2 Kings 3

Jeremiah 51

1 Corinthians 11 

“NEVERTHELESS, IN THE LORD …”

Paul continues to identify the many things the believers in Corinth were failing to do properly. Human nature has always been inclined toward competition, the initial competition as to which of them would be the greatest among the disciples is an example of this [Luke 22:24], but after the resurrection this never happened, Peter could write of himself as simply being a  “fellow elder” [1 Peter 5:1]

Paul spells out the order of responsibility very plainly in verse 3 of today’s chapter [1 Corinthians 11]. “I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.”  Then Paul writes of outward appearances that symbolise this order of responsibility, “… a wife … let her cover her head” but “a man ought not to cover his head” [1 Corinthians 11:6-7]   This is “when you come together” [1 Corinthians 11:18] to worship, but we must note 1 Corinthians 11:11 as this spells out another vital principle, “Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman.”   

Life in the Lord demands teamwork – “working together” [2 Corinthians 6:1, see also Ephesians 4:16] “for the glory of God” [Romans 15:7] as the disciples had learnt to do.  Yet human nature keeps failing, sadly it seems inevitable, it certainly was in Corinth at that time – and we ponder the point Paul makes in 1 Corinthians 11:19, “… there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognised.”   The sequel that eventually arises from this is spelt out by John in his 1st letter, “They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us”. 

Paul spells out the well-known description of how the Lord’s last supper should be kept – this is followed by a warning against doing so “in an unworthy manner” [1 Corinthians 11:27]. Those who do so will “be condemned along with the world” [1 Corinthians 11:32] and the climax of that condemnation is getting very close as we recognise how our world has become a latter-day Babylon, so let us try ever harder, as Paul expresses it in his first verse to “be imitators of me (Paul) as I am of Christ.” 

-------

- DC

30 August 2014

2 Kings 4

Jeremiah 52

1 Corinthians 12; 13 

“NOW CONCERNING SPIRITUAL GIFTS …” 

We now come to a special part of Paul’s letter to the Corinthians, these are chapters 12 to 14, and the first two are for today and they start, “Now concerning spiritual gifts ….” And Paul seeks to put their understanding of these gifts into a godly perspective.  Paul first makes the point, “When you were pagans you were led astray…” [1 Corinthians 12:2] At that time they had experienced all kinds of trances and ecstasy, as can still be observed among some primitive peoples today, being seen as ‘gifts’ from their imagined gods. 

Paul tells them that, as members of Christ, “there are varieties of gifts … and there are varieties of service, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone” [1 Corinthians 12:4-6].  These are to be used “for the common good”.   [1 Corinthians 12:7] - not in competition.  These gentiles in Corinth had no Bible to read, and so “through the Spirit … one is given … the utterance of wisdom … another the utterance of knowledge …”  The gift of tongues is mentioned last – and Paul counsels them to “earnestly desire the higher gifts” [1 Corinthians 12:31] adding, “and I will show you a still more excellent way.” 

This brings us to the marvellous exposition he gives on the value of love.  In 1 Corinthians 13.  One can “have all faith … but have not love” then, says Paul, “I am nothing” [1 Corinthians 13:2,1] 

In 1 Corinthians 12: Paul had made the point, which we might fail to stress, “”Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.”  Collectively, together we make up “the body of Christ.”  For, says Paul, “the body does not consist of one member but of many.” [1 Corinthians 12:14] 

Believers must team together as parts of Christ’s body of believers, using the individual abilities they have been given for the common good – above all, to display and practise the collective character of Christ.  In that way, our children who have not yet accepted Christ will be influenced – and of course, unbelievers - if they are seekers, will be attracted.  Head knowledge is essential, but is only half of “the body” – our hearts are the other half!   A body is “dead” if it has no heart:  Head and heart team together to produce faith    

The end of 1 Corinthians  13 sums it all up, “So now faith, hope and love abide … but the greatest of these is love.”  To finish, let us meditate on that verse: in the kingdom age, hope will be fulfilled and turn into sight, so faith will not be needed.  The one thing that will “abide” is “love.”  That will be the all-embracing spirit of mind in that wondrous time, how vital we develop it now if we aim, by His grace, to be there. 

-------

- DC

31 August 2014

2 Kings 5

Lamentations 1

1 Corinthians 14 

"FOR THEIR UPBUILDING …."   

Today we read the completion of Paul’s earnest advice to the Corinthians to cease their misuse of the gift of speaking in tongues, that is, other languages, as had taken place in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost [Acts 2].  He sets the gift of tongues in contrast to the gift of prophecy – this gift was not focussed on predicting future events, but, as Paul expresses it, “the one who prophecies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation.” [1 Corinthians 14:3] stressing that, “the one who prophesies builds up the church.” [1 Corinthians 14:4] - also in warning believers when necessary, as we have seen was the particular task of the prophet Jeremiah.  

Note that Paul says, “I thank God I speak in tongues more than all of you. Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.” [1 Corinthians 14:18-19].  Because of Paul’s widespread travels, he had need to be able to speak in many different languages.

His ‘punch’ line in the next verse arrests our attention, “Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil, but in your thinking be mature.” [1 Corinthians 14:20]  Today we become mature by prayerfully reading the word of God every day, and by carefully thinking about what we read.. Paul goes on to tell them, “…When you come together … let all things be done for building up” [1 Corinthians 14:26].  

If someone had the gift of tongues they were to keep silent unless there was someone who could give a translation. [1 Corinthians 14:28]  The best procedure in their gatherings was to “let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what was said.” [1 Corinthians 14:29]  How excellent is such a procedure, let us weigh up what is said in Bible Classes and at other times, we work together as a team – our only ‘leader’ is Christ.  

The last 2 verses tell us, “ … my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.  But all things should be done decently and in order.” We have seen that phrase about not forbidding to speak in tongues repeatedly quoted by those who advocate Pentecostalism today!   But Paul had written [1 Corinthians 13:8] “as for tongues, they will cease” and the last verse of that chapter, as we observed yesterday, names the 3 things that were to abide!  Let us make sure we possess those 3 things as we work at “upbuilding” one another.

-------

- DC