TFTBR - July 2014

Resource Manager

01 July 2014

1 Samuel 13
Isaiah 56; 57
Revelation 21; 22

“THE RIGHTEOUS MAN PERISHES”

Our chapter 57 in Isaiah commences with the above words – but then adds, “and no one lays it to heart; devout men are taken away … “ But then comes a very meaningful statement – which may well become really meaningful for us in the years ahead, it may even be in the months ahead, “for the righteous man (& woman) is taken away from calamity; he enters into peace; they rest in their beds who walk in their uprightness”

Coming to Isaiah 57:15, more words jump out to our minds, “… thus says the One who is high and lifted up. Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: ‘I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.”

In contrast, the chapter ends, “But the wicked are like the tossing sea; for it cannot be quiet, and its waters toss up mire and dirt. ‘There is no peace,’ says my God, ‘for the wicked.” It is “my God”, our God who counts us, as righteous in his eyes. As we become more and more aware of the true picture of our present existence – and conscious of the increasing traumas in many parts of the world (and threatening or including ours) how wonderful it will be to be “taken away” – in whatever way God chooses, from the calamity that is starting to surround us. If it should be that “the righteous man perishes” – it is God who “lays it to heart”, such move into God’s time – which is instantaneous, there is no awareness of passing time at all.

Today’s 21st chapter of Revelation has a wondrous description of the ultimate time to come – when “the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God, He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” Let us, from now on, live with this divinely given vision flooding ever more readily into our hearts every day.
-------
- DC

02 July 2014

1 Samuel 14
Isaiah 58
Matthew 1; 2

“CALLED A NAZARENE”

Today we began reading the New Testament from Matthew’s gospel. It is understood it was written primarily for the Jews as it quotes the O.T. prophecies quite a lot; one or two are prophecies that we would not have readily identified as prophecies fulfilled in the life of Jesus, this is a lesson for us in trying to correctly identify prophecies about events that relate to the time Jesus returns – to know beforehand all that is to actually happen.

God created a situation in which the birth of his Son, the Messiah they were expecting, was obscured from the self-centred religious leaders. One of the main reasons they gave for rejecting Jesus was to say, “Is the Christ to come from Galilee? Has not the Scripture said that the Christ comes from Bethlehem …” [John 7:41-42]

Matthew 2 ends by telling us that his parents, when they returned from Egypt “went and lived in a city called Nazareth, that what was spoken by the prophets might be fulfilled, ‘He shall be called a Nazarene.’” What prophets said this?

We need to put the Scriptures together to get the full picture of the forebears of Mary and Joseph and the significant characters among their forbears. We are about to read in 2 Samuel how David was born in Bethlehem. Joseph, a carpenter, evidently lived and worked there for about 2 years before they fled, at the command of the Lord to Egypt. The wise men, we are not told how many, found the one born to be “king of the kings” in “the house” [Matthew 2:11] in Bethlehem.

They then went and lived in Egypt until after the death of Herod [Matthew 2:20] and then came to Nazareth again to re-establish life there [Luke 2:39]. No doubt Joseph took his tools with him to support them with carpentry work in their stays in Bethlehem and Egypt. Jesus would have lived in Nazareth for something like 25 years before he astonished the nation when he began his ministry. The record of “the first of his signs” [John 2:11] at Cana shows that his mother had some degree of awareness of his powers.

Truly, as a hymn says, ‘God works in a mysterious way his wonders to perform’ – but those who read God’s word diligently can unravel many of those mysteries: the major mystery challenging us now – is the full nature of the events that are to occur at the return of Christ. We believe they will only fall fully into place in our understanding as they start to happen. Let us diligently read and then think deeply – and watch.
-------
- DC

03 July 2014

1 Samuel 15
Isaiah 59
Matthew 3; 4

“I HAVE OBEYED”

King Saul was highly successful in destroying the Amalekites, but we note what Samuel said to him [1 Samuel 15:1-3] before he did this! After giving him the reasons why the Amalekites should be destroyed, Samuel tells him, “Now go and strike Amalek, and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.” In 1 Samuel 15:7-9 we read “And Saul defeated Amalek … and devoted to destruction all the people … But Saul and the people spared … the best of the sheep and oxen … and all that was good …. All that was despised and worthless they devoted to destruction.”

What a valuable lesson there is in the LORD’s reaction to Saul’s selective obedience to his commands. Samuel is sent to express God’s anger at his failure to obey him properly, he tells Saul, “Why then did you not obey the voice of the LORD? Why did you pounce on the spoil and do what was evil in the sight of the LORD?” [1 Samuel 15:19] Saul claims in reply, “I have obeyed the voice of the LORD” [1 Samuel 15:20], but he only did so partly. His claim is that the animals were saved to offer as sacrifices – and of course, as a result, Saul and the people enjoyed much feasting! The phrase “the voice of the LORD” should cause us to meditate – they did not hear his actual voice – and neither do we! We have his word – that is “the voice of the LORD” for us.

Then Samuel makes a very vital point, “Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD?” [1 Samuel 15:22] What a clear and vital lesson this is for us – it dovetails in with Isaiah’s message at the start of today’s Isaiah 59. “Behold, the LORD’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save … but your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear.”

If there were prophets like Samuel and Isaiah around today what kind of message would they give? Let us not pick and choose only the parts of God’s word we like - to believe and obey - let us live so that we can in truth say in our prayers – and on THAT day, “I have obeyed…”
-------
- DC

04 July 2014

1 Samuel 16
Isaiah 60
Matthew 5

"THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN"

Today we read what is generally referred to as ‘The Sermon on the Mount’ in Matthew 5. Years ago we saw a film depicting this – and it was quite wrong – for it showed Jesus giving the message to a vast crowd of people. The end of Matthew 4 describes “great crowds” that “followed him” but, then we read, “seeing the crowds he went up on the mountain , and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them …”

This teaching begins, “Blessed are the poor (lowly, humble) in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” The very opposite to the spirit of mind nearly all the Pharisees and lawyers showed; Jesus is going to have many verbal clashes with them in the next 3 or so years. He speaks of “the kingdom of heaven” not the kingdom in heaven. We wait for a heavenly kingdom to come on earth – to replace all earthly minded rulers, none of whom really believe in the true God. The very last question his disciples asked him was “Will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel” [Acts 1:6] causing him to tell them that his message had to be taken “to the end of the earth” first, and it was not for them (or us) to know the time of his return. Today the Bible is reaching all the remotest nations.

“Blessed are the meek (gentle-minded) for they shall inherit the earth” [Matthew 5:5] not heaven. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be satisfied.” [Matthew 5:6] This world needs more than ever for God’s kingdom to be established, there is a great hunger and thirst for all fleshly things today. Jesus told his disciples, “You are the light of the world” [Matthew 5:14] and so they became and the light spread out and pagans became believers and Christ’s message was adopted as the official religion of the Roman Empire. Sadly, in the process, it became increasingly corrupted, just like the Jewish teachers had corrupted the message God gave through Moses and the prophets.

At the end of one of his parables, that of the persistent widow, Jesus asked the question, “When the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth” [Luke 18:8] He does not give the answer – that is left for us to answer – what is your answer?
-------
- DC

05 July 2014

1 Samuel 17
Isaiah 61
Matthew 6

“THE DAY OF VENGEANCE”

We read 3 fascinating chapters this morning! First was the account of David’s faith “in the living God” as he went forth against Goliath – he had no confidence in human armour and we should have no confidence in human reasoning. Then in Matthew’s gospel we read the continuation of the sermon on the mount and the many vital principles we need to live by today; “do not be anxious” about having the food, drink and clothing you need. There is a difference between what human beings ‘want’ and what they ‘need’.

We need what is essential – “Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all” [Matthew 6:31-32] “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.” [Matthew 6:33] When will they be added? Consider the wonder of what we learn in our other reading!

Our Isaiah chapter [61] starts with the verses Jesus read in the Synagogue [Luke 4:18-19], “The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the broken hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the LORD's favour” – but then he stopped! He then told his audience, “Today is this scripture fulfilled …” – challenging them to recognise his ministry – who he really was!

What he did not read – was the next statement, “and the day of the Lord’s vengeance” But wonderfully, after the time of the Lord’s vengeance (which came first to the Jews, and is now imminent for the Gentiles – all other nations) will come blessings beyond our ability to visualize; they are for those who have truly followed the Lord after accepting in true faith from their hearts the “good news” (gospel) and followed the way of life he proclaimed. These “shall be called the priests of the LORD; they shall speak of you as the ministers of our God; you shall eat the wealth of the nations and … shall have everlasting joy.” [isaiah 61:6-7] Let us be ready to endure “the day of vengeance”; accepting Jesus’ point which we will see when we come to Matthew 10:22 “the one who endures to the end will be saved.”.
-------
- DC

06 July 2014

1 Samuel 18
Isaiah 62
Matthew 7

“DEPART FROM ME; ...”

Many of the things Jesus said are very challenging, but few are greater than the words we read today about what he will say to some “on that day” [Matthew 7:22], i.e. the day of judgement. He speaks of those who will come before him, but to some of them he will say, “Depart from me; I never knew you” [Matthew 7:23]. These will be among the “many (who) will say … ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophecy in your name … and do many mighty works in your name?’”

By referring to those who prophecy, we should not think Jesus simply means those who have some gift to foretell the future. The work of those serving God, as we see with many of those called prophets in the Old Testament, is to proclaim God’s word, and very often these were words of warning as well as encouragement. Any who speak to others to bring the message of Christ and God to them are, in this sense, prophets. Such take a great responsibility on themselves. James, in his epistle makes the point, “Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.” [James 3:1]

Those who Jesus tells to depart are described as “workers of lawlessness” So what is such a worker? We noticed as we completed reading Revelation on Monday how the last chapter lists those who are “outside”- they are excluded from a place in God’s “city” because their names were not found in “the book of life” [Revelation 20:12]. Earlier in Revelation [Revelation 3:5] we read of names being blotted out and others retained in God’s book of life. What causes them to be excluded? Those “outside” are not only those who are really bad in normal human judgement, but includes “everyone who loves and practices falsehood” [Revelation 22:15]

Those told to “depart” thought they knew Jesus – but Jesus never “knew” them. What is it to “know” someone? In Bible language it is to have a relationship with them. Human relationships are breaking down today, all too many men and women are getting married before they “know” each other, worse still, do not even exchange vows. We must make sure we have a really strong and committed daily relationship to Christ – so that he will welcome us into his Kingdom as “his bride.”.
-------
- DC

07 July 2014

1 Samuel 19
Isaiah 63
Matthew 8

“A GLORIOUS NAME”

We are reading in Samuel of David’s great successes. 2 Samuel 8:13 tells us “David made a name for himself” - that is, developed a reputation, and our chapters now tell us of Saul’s jealousy over this and his efforts to kill him despite the intercessions of his son Jonathan.

Our chapter in Isaiah [63] has the prophet stating, “I will recount the steadfast love of the LORD, according to all that the LORD has granted to us, and the great goodness to the house of Israel that he granted them according to his compassion, according to the abundance of his steadfast love. For he said, ‘surely they are my people …” [isaiah 63:7-8].

But this compassion and love was not appreciated, in later generations “they rebelled and grieved his Holy Spirit; therefore he turned to be their enemy…” [isaiah 63:10] However, then we read that the LORD, “ remembered the days of old, of Moses and his people. Where he brought them up out of the sea … to make for himself an everlasting name… So you led your people to make your yourself a glorious name” [isaiah 63:11,12,14] It was a great reputation for Moses, and a glorious name for the LORD.

However, Isaiah ends the chapter on a sad note, “We have become like those over whom you have never ruled ….” But ignore the chapter break, Isaiah 64 starts with an impassioned prayer that we could utter today, “Oh that you would rend the heavens and come down … to make your name known to your adversaries, and that the nations might tremble at your presence! [isaiah 64:1-2] And then Isaiah 64:4-5 “… no ear has seen a God besides you, who acts for those who wait for him. You meet him who joyfully works righteousness”

Are we waiting for him? Do we really believe with all our heart in his “glorious name” and “joyfully” live righteously as we wait for him to act? Finally turn the page to verse 2 of Isaiah 66, “ … this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.” May we all live more and more so that he will “look” upon us – having fully in mind the words of Jesus, “I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you” [John 16:22]
-------
- DC

08 July 2014

1 Samuel 20
Isaiah 64
Matthew 9

“ACCORDING TO YOUR FAITH”

“Faith” is a key word in the New Testament, it does not occur in the Old Testament, although some modern versions seek to use it a little – but not really in the N.T. sense. Matthews’ gospel has the most reports of the miracles of Jesus; but the religious leaders tried to discount them alleging he was using some kind of magic. In today’s chapter [Matthew 9] they allege, “He casts out demons by the prince of demons.” [Matthew 9:34]

The most challenging to them of all his miracles was when he raised someone who had died. Matthew 9:18 tells us that “a ruler came in and knelt before him, saying, my daughter has just died, but such was his conviction of the powers of Jesus that he said, “but come and lay your hand on her and she will live.” When Jesus comes to the house he sees “flute players and the crowd making a commotion, he says, ‘Go away, for the girl is not dead but sleeping.” [Matthew 9:24] They laughed at this!

But the death of believers is in many places described as a sleep, remember what Paul wrote, “For since that we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.” [1 Thessalonians 4:14] This is a wondrous lesson – those who die have fallen asleep – they move into God’s time, and have no awareness of passing time at all!

On his way to the rulers’ house Jesus heals a woman “suffering from a discharge of blood”- he does this because of her approach, saying, “Take heart, daughter, your faith has made you well” [Matthew 9:22] “Blind men” follow him seeking a healing, they are asked, “Do you believe I am able to do this?” They say, “Yes, Lord” he heals them. “saying, ‘According to your faith, be it done to you.” [Matthew 9:29).

By far the greatest miracle of all will be when Jesus comes again bringing to life “those who have fallen asleep.” Do you have faith that this will happen? Yes! What is the quality of your faith, my faith? How much is it reflected in the way you live your life? Faith must be an active ingredient in every aspect of our lives, it will be “according to your faith” that the Lord will act – and we will be part of the glory that God has in store for this earth and; says the prophet, “you meet him who joyfully works righteousness, those who remember you in your ways” We read this today in Isaiah 64:5 and commented on it yesterday. Joy and faith go together – do you experience that?
-------
- DC

09 July 2014

1 Samuel 21; 22
Isaiah 65
Matthew 10

“FOR MY PEOPLE WHO …”

Today and tomorrow we read the final 2 chapters of Isaiah. God expresses through the prophet his lament for those who turn away from him, those who “insulted me” - to whom he says, “do not come near me, for I am too holy for you” [isaiah 65:5,7]

In contrast, his genuine servants “shall sing for gladness of heart” and “his servants he will call by another name so that he who blesses himself by the God of truth … because the former troubles are forgotten … for behold I create new heavens and a new earth” [isaiah 65:14-17].

This will be “for my people who have sought me” [isaiah 65:10]. The key question the LORD asks us all is – do you seek God – do you see him as the God of truth? Isaiah of course is writing for his people, the Jews, but these words also apply to everyone - for when Jesus came and died his sacrifice was for people of all nations. His final words to his disciples at the end of Matthew’s gospel are, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptising them … teaching them to observe all I have commanded you.”

Let’s take into our minds more of what God said through Isaiah, it is a wonderful heart stirring vision of life in the future when “the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind. But be glad and rejoice forever …” [isaiah 65:17-18] Nature itself will be changed, “The wolf and the lamb shall graze together; the lion shall eat straw like the ox … they shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, says the LORD” [isaiah 65:25-26].

And in Isaiah 66 more words jump out at us! “… this is the one to whom I will look : he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.” [isaiah 66:2] That reminds us of how Jesus started his ‘Sermon on the mount’ – “Blessed are the poor (lowly) in spirit (attitude of mind)”

Ask yourself, Do I qualify to be among those to whom God “will look”? Do my attitudes, my aims in life qualify me for the wonder God has ordained for the future? Whether we will be part of this wondrous time we are reading about depends on the “spirit,” the attitude of mind that is genuinely developing within us, as true servants. Let’s finish by quoting Isaiah 66:14 of this final chapter, “You shall see, and your heart shall rejoice … the hand of the LORD shall be known to his servants …” May we be among those who “see” and “rejoice”.
-------
- DC

10 July 2014

1 Samuel 23
Isaiah 66
Matthew 11

“… AND LEARN FROM ME”

The final verses of Matthew 11 – are easy to read – but they are also profound – and demand our meditative understanding. Jesus declares, in apparent prayer to his Father (from Matthew 11:25), “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding, and revealed them to little children; yes father for such was your gracious will.” This reminds us of Paul’s anxieties over the believers in Galatia, “… my little children, for whom I am again in the anguish of childbirth until Christ is formed in you.” [Galatians 4:19] Our attitude to life ‘in Christ’ must be child-like, trusting and humble if we are to genuinely accept into our hearts the teaching of Christ; we must put his words into practice to prove they are in our hearts – all sense of human pride and ego must be vanquished.

Jesus then says, “All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” [Matthew 11:27] Jesus has all authority and our relationship with God is through Jesus, he represents God, “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father” [John 14:9]

Jesus then says to his disciples; he is saying this to us too - if we truly are disciples, “Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me” We cannot learn from Jesus unless we are yoked to him! He shares our burdens; this is not theoretical, this is real! It must be practised, our minds must constantly sense the reality of it happening – our meditative reading of God’s word daily is an essential foundation.

Our chapter draws to its climax as we read and reflect on its final words; “for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Then, with something of a shock, we may recall and see the contrast in Matthew 11:20! “Then he began to denounce the cities where most of his mighty works had been done because they did not repent.” They had seen wondrous happenings, but it had not affected them in the way it should! We have not seen “mighty works” – or have we?

We have the whole of God’s word to read and inspire us whenever we feel like doing so – they couldn’t. We have seen prophecy fulfilling, especially the drama of God’s nation reborn, how great their joy in entering Jerusalem. Let us come more fervently to Jesus – to a living and real relationship with him, his words constantly echoing in our hearts saying, “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me.”
-------
- DC

11 July 2014

1 Samuel 24
Jeremiah 1
Matthew 12

“I AM WATCHING OVER MY WORD”

Today we started reading the words of Jeremiah, who was born as “one of the priests” [Jeremiah 1:1]. We are fascinated by the many words from the LORD that he inspired Jeremiah to speak and write. He was to be the mouthpiece of God to Israel over many years beginning in the reign of good king Josiah, to the disaster of the last king Zedekiah.

“The LORD came to me” Jeremiah says, telling him, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” [Jeremiah 1:5] Jeremiah protests, “Ah Lord GOD! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” [Jeremiah 1:6] The LORD tells him not to say this, “… whatever I command you, you shall speak, Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you” [Jeremiah 1:7-8]

“Then the LORD put out his hand and touched my mouth. And the LORD said to me, ‘Behold I have put my words in your mouth.” [Jeremiah 1:9] It is clear in the words that follow that his divinely inspired messages have applications in many cases to situations developing in Israel in the prophet’s lifetime – and others – to the future of other nations – and also - to events to come in the latter day restoration of Israel, our days; these, as we will see in future chapters, really challenge our thinking.

Jeremiah is a type of Christ from his birth and the later traumas his life went through before and at the destruction of Jerusalem. As the inspired mouthpiece of God’s word, he is told, “See I have set you this day over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and break down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant … I am watching over my word to perform it.” [Jeremiah 1:10,12] As we read God’s word let us search to see how it has been performed – and will yet be completely performed – the climax of its fulfilment will surely be the most dramatic of all. How close are we to that time? May we ‘hear’ the LORD saying to us, as he says to Jeremiah (as the chapter ends) “Be not dismayed … for I am with you, declares the LORD, to deliver you.” [Jeremiah 1:17,19]
-------
- DC

12 July 2014

1 Samuel 25
Jeremiah 2
Matthew 13

"SO IT WILL BE AT THE CLOSE OF THE AGE"

Today’s 13th chapter of Matthew contains 6 parables of Jesus and at the end of the last one our Lord says, “so it will be at the close of the age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” [Matthew 13:49-50] The parables are symbolic stories, thus the “fiery furnace” is a symbol of the end of existence for some. We must face the fact that, in the end, as God sees humans, the highest form of his creation, there are really only two classes of people! Did you note in yesterday’s chapter that Jesus said, “Whoever is not with me is against me.” [Matthew 12:30]

Each of the parables in their own way teach the same lesson – that a choice is put before all men and women and “at the close of the age” there will be a time when God will make a decision about the future of everyone. The best known parable is that of the sower sowing seed and the different types of soil (i.e. hearts) into which it (his message) fell and how that seed grew – or didn’t! Another parable is of the wheat and weeds growing together and no action is made to pull out the weeds until harvest time.

It is becoming more and more evident that God’s harvest time is near – although, of course, it comes for everyone when they die! The harvest time, said Jesus, in explaining the meaning of the parable, is the time when “The son of man will send his angels and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law breakers, and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.” [Matthew 13:41-43]!

In these days we could add to that saying – those who have eyes to read let them read – and having read – may they, as a result, live their lives in ways that will please the sower. Are you hearing what you read?
-------
- DC

13 July 2014

1 Samuel 26; 27
Jeremiah 3
Matthew 14

“… NO MORE STUBBORNLY FOLLOW …”

As we read more of the remarkable testimony of Jeremiah we come across some brief glimpses of the ultimate future time of glory. In today’s chapter we read, “At that time Jerusalem shall be called the throne of the LORD, and all nations shall gather together to it, to the presence of the LORD in Jerusalem, and they shall no more stubbornly follow their own evil heart.” [Jeremiah 3:17]

Those seeking God with a genuine heart were encouraged, indeed, wondrously excited by this prospect, as we are today. So much of what we read in Jeremiah has parallels with the self-centred attitudes seen today as we live in the final years of human control of this earth. Jeremiah had begun his life in good circumstances, he was born to be a priest and the word of the LORD first came to him as a very young man in the reign of Judah’s last good king, Josiah.

We learn in 2 Kings 22, that Josiah initiated the repairing of the Temple [2 Kings 22:5] and it was reported to him by the High Priest that “I have found the Book of the Law in the house of the LORD.” [2 Kings 22:8] and the rest of the chapter and the next describes the dramatic story of the reformation the King then initiated. In the eighteenth year of his reign a great “Passover was kept to the LORD in Jerusalem” [2 Kings 23:23] It was a dramatic early start to the life of Jeremiah, it compares just a little with our own teenage years when we witnessed the dramatic re-establishment of Israel as a nation after nearly 1900 years in oblivion. But how ungodliness has grown in the world since then!. There are now no humans, those unenlightened by the word of God, who have any confidence that the world has a long term future – and this became Jeremiah’s experience too – the nation of Israel had no future .

Josiah is killed just 13 years after this Passover; from then on, Jeremiah lives and preaches in many hostile circumstances right through until the destruction of Jerusalem – and afterwards. But first God granted him a brief period of “peace” to gain strength under the reign of a good king. His book does not appear to have been put together in chronological order, yesterday’s and the start of today’s chapter almost certainly reflect conditions near the end of his life. His life and his distress at the godlessness surrounding him has many parallels to today in which, like in Jeremiah’s time, people “refuse to be ashamed” [Jeremiah 3:3].

Today, the broad way that leads to destruction has never been more evident, we need real strength of heart and conviction of mind to stay on the narrow path, there are distractions on every side, especially for the young. Let’s look to Jeremiah as our role model to follow, sharing the vision given him of the throne of the Lord being established in Jerusalem and the time when all people will ”no more stubbornly follow their own evil heart” – but those who are doing that now – they will not be there.
-------
- DC

14 July 2014

1 Samuel 28
Jeremiah 4
Matthew 15

“ABUNDANCE OF THE HEART”

Most people are never conscious of the need for spiritual cleanliness; the Jewish religious leaders had made quite a ritual out of material and physical cleanliness, hands in particularly had to be constantly cleansed. In today’s chapter in Matthew we read a lesson of Jesus about this which should be familiar to us: the kind of defilement we should be really concerned about!

Jesus said, “… what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person” [Matthew 15:11] Remember what we read in Matthew 12? “Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks … on the day of judgement people will give account for every careless word …” [Matthew 12:34,36] What is there in “abundance” in your heart? If we listen, read or watch many of the things that are said today, so that they become part of thinking and attitudes, we start to developed a defiled heart.

Life today is such a contrast to our experiences 70 years ago! Our concerns then included getting home from school if air raid warnings sounded; having faith in the overseeing hand of God was fully ‘real’ to our parents. A very different diet was available for our hearts in those days.

There are countries today where true believers really need to have genuine faith. God’s word tells us that the “peace” we presently experience is going to dramatically change – are our hearts strong and focused so they will be able to cope with the time of world-wide trouble and anxiety which must surely come?

Jesus more fully explains his point to his disciples, “ … what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts … sexual immorality …” [Matthew 15:18-19] and similar things; much of so called ‘entertainment’ today has these things in abundance!

Jesus also made this intriguing point, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be rooted up,” [Matthew 15:13] Does your thinking and doing show that he has planted you? .
-------
- DC

15 July 2014

1 Samuel 29; 30
Jeremiah 5
Matthew 16

“… FACES HARDER THAN ROCK”

The word “faces” in God’s word is often used as a synonym for ‘minds,’ such as when ”the LORD used to speak to Moses face to face” [Exodus 33:11] – and we see this today in Jeremiah. The prophet is bitterly complaining to God about the attitudes of mind he sees all around him.

“O LORD, do not your eyes look for truth?” [Jeremiah 5:3] But he does not find truth! God brings trouble on them, “but they felt no anguish … they refused to take correction. They have made their faces harder than rock; they have refused to repent.” Jeremiah thinks there will be a different attitude among the rich, but there is not! “they are all alike … they have no sense … they do not know the way of the LORD” [Jeremiah 5:5,4]

How parallel this is with the attitudes of mind that exist today! The people “’have been utterly treacherous to me’, declares the LORD. They have spoken falsely of the LORD and have said, ‘He will do nothing; no disaster will come upon us” [Jeremiah 5:11-12] Today, the mature educated people sense the world’s future is going to be increasingly difficult, but they in no way sense that there is a Creator who is going to cause this – or make it worse.

Jeremiah is told to “Declare this in the house of Jacob; proclaim it in Judah … Do you not fear me? Declares the LORD … your sins have kept good from you … They know no bounds in deeds of evil; they judge not with justice … Shall I not punish them for these things? … shall I not avenge myself …” [Jeremiah 5:20,22,28,29] And God did avenge himself in the horrible destruction of the Temple and of all Jerusalem.

The chapter ends with a question we should ask ourselves. After observing “my people love to have it so” the LORD asks the question, “but what will you do when the end comes?” Do you know what you will do, for our world is so similar in so many ways to Jeremiah’s! God’s word alone provides us with the answer – How “hard” is your “face”? Only our daily reading will enable us to fully absorb that answer – and the more we join together to discuss and more fully understand God’s word, the more that answer will become clear to us.
-------
- DC

16 July 2014

1 Samuel 31
Jeremiah 6
Matthew 17

“… GREATLY DISTRESSED”

Jesus constantly says things to his disciples which challenge their attitudes and expectations – can we learn lessons ourselves from this? In today’s 17th chapter of Matthew we see how “they were greatly distressed” [Matthew 17:23] after “Jesus said to them, ‘The Son of Man is about to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him, and he will be raised on the third day.’” Not long before, as we read yesterday, Jesus had rebuked Peter when Peter had said to him, “This shall never happen to you” [Matthew 16:22]

The message of his impending death was now starting to sink in – their minds are unsuccessful in putting this into focus with his words about the glory that would follow – sitting “on twelve thrones” as we will read in Matthew 19:28. We read today of the three that witnessed his transfiguration, they “fell on their faces and were terrified.” [Matthew 17:6] when they heard the voice of God speaking from a bright cloud saying, “’This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased’ [Matthew 17:5]

Such is our human nature, we have great difficulty in coping with events outside the realm of past experience. What if there is a warning of such events? The women who accompanied Jesus were somewhat better in coping with his tragic death than any of the 12 – and they were the first to visit the tomb and accept that he was wondrously raised again and now had an immortal body.

Our thoughts now go to what is to confront us in coming years, maybe even in coming months! Will we be “greatly distressed” when, as we will soon read in Matthew 24:27,29 “as the lightning from the east so will be the coming of the Son of Man … the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light and the stars will fall …” Some prefer to give a spiritual interpretation to this – but Jesus is literally returning!

Are we confident we will not be like the disciples, but will have a strong and confident faith anticipating the moment “he will send out his angels and they will gather his elect …”? [Matthew 24:31] – that will be literal. We talk and study a lot about the glories that follow his return – and the disciples rejoiced in the promise of Jesus about their future, but that did not help them to cope with the tragedy that came first.

May our constant prayer be “Lord increase our faith” as the disciples requested of him [Luke 17:5] – and deserve the same commendation Paul gave to the Thessalonians in his 2nd letter to them, “We ought always to give thanks to God for you brothers (& sisters), as is right, because your faith is growing abundantly.”
-------
- DC

17 July 2014

2 Samuel 1
Jeremiah 7
Matthew 18

“NOTHING IS COVERED … OR HIDDEN”

Today’s chapter (18) in Matthew is full of parables: a central theme is that it is essential to have genuineness of heart. A particular lesson is that this must be evident in our forgiveness of others: our heavenly Father sees and knows all. Jesus had told his disciples before he sent them out that “nothing is covered …or hidden that will not be made known.” [Matthew 10:26] His servants must serve him with total genuineness of heart. Today’s chapter ends with the parable of the servant who treated his fellow servant unjustly, after his Master had been greatly forgiving to him. Jesus makes the point, “So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother (or sister) from your heart.”

Nothing is ever hidden from the all-seeing ‘eye’ of the Lord. Our world is somewhat pre-occupied at the moment because of invasions of privacy – but nothing is ‘private’ from God. The same point is made by God to the people through Jeremiah. God sees all and the people “trust in deceptive words to no avail” [Jeremiah 7:8] . Our world is increasingly full of “deceptive words.” God sees that their motives are all self-centred and no compassion is being shown – Jeremiah is not even to pray for them [Jeremiah 7:16]

In 2 Samuel 1, we read how an Amalekite gets hold of Saul’s crown after he dies and brings it to David expecting praise and a reward. He falsely claims he had killed the badly wounded king. David, greatly distressed at the news, especially the death of Jonathan, reacts in a godly way, and the Amalekite, instead of receiving some kind of honour is put to death after David says, “How is it you were not afraid to put out your hand to destroy the LORD’s anointed? … Your blood be on your own head” [2 Samuel 1:14,16]

Back in Jeremiah we see a parallel lesson, “This is a nation that did not obey the voice of the LORD their God, and did not accept discipline; truth has perished …” [Jeremiah 7:28] And today? It is clear that our world totally fails to see that nothing can be hidden from the eyes of the Creator! And for us? Truth must not perish “from (y)our heart” - rather we should rejoice that we not only possess the truth – but we show, by the way we live, that it also possesses us – because we know that one day soon, maybe very soon, God will act so that all the world becomes aware that “nothing …is hidden” – and all lies and deception will be exposed in God’s kingdom.
-------
- DC

18 July 2014

2 Samuel 2
Jeremiah 8
Matthew 19

“WHO THEN CAN BE SAVED”

Our chapter (19) in Matthew contains several sayings of our Master that are most challenging. There was one that made his disciples “greatly astonished.” It was the outcome of a conversation that started when “a man came up to him saying, ‘Teacher what good deed must I do to inherit eternal life?” [Matthew 19:16] This causes Jesus to say, ‘If you would enter into life, keep the commandments.’ He said to him, ‘Which ones?’ and Jesus then lists the principal commandments, “You shall not “ … murder … commit adultery … shall not steal … bear false witness … will honour (your parents) … love your neighbour as yourself.” [Matthew 19:17,19]

The man responds, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack? Jesus said to him, ‘If you would be perfect, go sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” [Matthew 19:20-21] “The young man went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.”

Jesus tells his disciples how difficult it is ”for rich people to enter the kingdom of God.” The disciples “were greatly astonished saying, “Who then can be saved?” [Matthew 19:25] We ponder our Lord’s reply, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” This is because God looks to see the true condition of our hearts: what are our priorities in life, what we have “left” behind so as to “do (work) for my name’s sake … and (therefore) will inherit eternal life.” [Matthew 19:29]

So we must each ask ourselves, what am I doing in the service of Jesus? Am I just giving him my spare time? How has being called to his service changed the priorities in my life? How do I use my Holydays? Only those who have their priorities right “can be saved” – but they will not have ‘earned’ salvation; Paul made a vital point in writing to the Corinthians, “we (are) working together with him, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain” [2 Corinthians 6:1] Do you fully appreciate his grace? Are you “working together” with your Saviour?
-------
- DC

19 July 2014

2 Samuel 3
Jeremiah 9
Matthew 20

“… BOAST IN THIS THAT HE UNDERSTANDS …”

In Matthew today we read of the friction among the disciples of Jesus; this arose after the mother of two of them “came up to him (Jesus) with her sons, and kneeling before him she asked him … ‘Say that these two sons of mine are to sit, one on your right hand and one on your left, in your kingdom” [Matthew 20:20-21] Why was this request made?

The desire for positions of honour always creates jealousy, this is provoked even more when there is boasting. The request made the other ten “indignant.” [Matthew 20:24] Jesus called them to him and told them they should not allow themselves to be influenced by the spirit they saw around them “but whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve … ” [Matthew 20:26-27]

These words are rather parallel with what we read of the words of the LORD to Jeremiah which we also read today. “Thus says the LORD: ‘Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD " [Jeremiah 9:23-24]

The book of Acts shows how the disciples learnt how to serve their Lord in the right spirit. One of those two sons of the mother who made the request became the first martyr. [Acts 12:2]. Recall how Jesus described his followers as sheep! He then made the point, “I am come that they may have life and have it more abundantly.” [John 10:10] Let us follow and serve the “good shepherd” and aim to do the things in which he delights. The more we know our Lord the more all human forms of boasting will disappear from our thoughts and we will instead ponder in our deepest meditations what it is to “understand and know” the Almighty.
-------
- DC

20 July 2014

2 Samuel 4; 5
Jeremiah 10
Matthew 21

“CORRECT ME O LORD, BUT …”

“Every man is stupid and without knowledge” we read today in Jeremiah 10:14. But man thinks he is the master of all kinds of knowledge! But he is without knowledge of the true God, the Creator, “who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens.” [Jeremiah 10:12]

With the powerful telescopes, and special satellites and probes into space, scientists have in recent years learnt how much the universe has been immeasurably stretched out! In awe of the awareness he had gained of God’s creative powers – Jeremiah reflects on his own situation and writes, “I know, O LORD, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps. Correct me, O LORD, but in justice; not in your anger, lest you bring me to nothing.” [Jeremiah 10:23-24]

Surely Jeremiah’s attitude and words should also be ours, and should be evident every day in our thoughts and prayers to and through our Saviour, leading us to become increasingly strong in faith to be able to cope with the situation when … ! … when the Almighty corrects this world in his anger!

Ponder as to why God told Jeremiah not to pray for the people around him! We read this yesterday. Remember! "As for you, do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede for I will not hear you” [Jeremiah 7:16]. God repeats this to Jeremiah, look at Jeremiah 11:14 "Therefore do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer on their behalf, for I will not listen when they call to me in the time of their trouble.”

Is the world going to get into a totally desperate situation? Is it not approaching that now! It is sometimes said you will never find an atheist on a life raft. Will the whole world be in a life raft situation? Most nations are totally entrenched in their minds that there is no God so we cannot imagine much prayer will be offered when the world is at its wit’s end – it will be a scene of mass panic!! Will our faith be such that we will rise above this situation?

How often do we quote Luke 21:26 “ …people fainting with fear and with foreboding of what is coming on the world. For the powers of the heavens will be shaken.” It is how we build up our faith now that will ensure we will not be shaken. In the areas of our weaknesses let us pray, “Correct me O LORD, but in justice: not in your anger”
-------
- DC

21 July 2014

2 Samuel 6
Jeremiah 11
Matthew 22

“… LIKE ANGELS IN HEAVEN”

One of the most profound things Jesus said is in today’s chapter 22 in Matthew’s gospel. Jesus is first challenged by the Pharisees [Matthew 22:15] who “plotted how to entangle him in his talk” by asking whether it was “lawful to pay taxes to Caesar.” His response is memorable! At his request they brought to him a coin and he pointed to the “likeness” of Caesar on it saying “render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s” adding “and to God the things that are God’s. And what are we to render to God – if we believe we belong to him? If we believe otherwise, this life is all we have – and how short is that likely to become!

The answer that Jesus later gave to a lawyer [Matthew 22:37] sums up what we are to render to God, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.” Do we? We must all answer this question – and surely heartfelt ‘thanksgiving’ should be included in our offering.

“The same day Sadducees came” with a question about the outcome of the resurrection, for they did not believe in it. Moses law says that “If a man dies having no children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up children” [Matthew 22:24] they claim that one childless woman was married in succession of 7 brothers as a result of being widowed. They ask “In the resurrection therefore … whose wife will she be?” [Matthew 22:28]

Jesus tells them, “… you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.” [Matthew 22:29-30] The crowd “are astonished at his teaching” [Matthew 22:33] and so are we – perhaps astounded is a better word – our minds cannot grasp the kind of life that is to come for the redeemed. Paul expresses it well for us, in quoting “… no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those that love him.” [1 Corinthians 2:9] These words are not a precise quotation, but look and meditate on Isaiah 64:4 and Psalm 31:9. We ignore the fiction that angels have wings – but we meditate that being made “like angels in heaven” leads, as Paul says, to a life far beyond our imagination.
-------
- DC

22 July 2014

2 Samuel 7
Jeremiah 12
Matthew 23

“ … FOR A GREAT WHILE TO COME”

Today’s reading in 2 Samuel 7 is one that many know well: it is one of the most significant in the Old Testament. King David has reached the pinnacle of his life, his love for God and his relationship with God has reached its highest point. It suddenly comes into his mind that he should build a Temple for the LORD where he can be permanently worshipped.

The prophet Nathan tells him to go ahead, “do all that is in your heart” [2 Samuel 7:3], but “the same night the word of the LORD comes to Nathan” [2 Samuel 7:4] and among the many things he is told to tell David is “I have been with you wherever you went and have cut off your enemies from before you. And will make of you a great name …” [2 Samuel 7:9]

Then there is a remarkable promise, “Moreover the LORD declares to you that the LORD will make you a house. When your days are fulfilled … I will raise up your offspring after you … and I will establish his kingdom … and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever.” [2 Samuel 7:11-13]. There is a short term and a long term, indeed, an everlasting promise in these words from God. Solomon fulfils the short term promise of a son and he is also the one to build the physical house, the Temple in Jerusalem.

David is overwhelmed by the long term vision that is opened up to his mind. He “went in and sat before the LORD (in the tabernacle) and says, “Who am I , O Lord GOD, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far? And yet this was a small thing in your eyes, O Lord GOD. You have spoken also of your servant’s house for a great while to come … you have brought about this greatness, to make your servant know it.” [2 Samuel 7:19,21]

We notice that the first words in the Gospel of Matthew are “The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David …” As with David, God was with the Lord Jesus wherever he went. Remember his personal prayer, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me …” [John 11:41-42] Those who belong to Christ and truly live with that realization have the same blessing, “so that we might live through him.” [1 John 4:9] and he will be with us wherever we go! Would that make us sometimes, maybe often, feel uncomfortable in the things we think? We say? We do? Let’s develop a really positive attitude every day. so that we each truly “live through him.”

The Greek word translated “through” has no direct English equivalent, but we noticed it occurs in our chapter in Matthew. It is translated as “sake” – but look at its’ context! “There will be great tribulation … and if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved, But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.” [Matthew 24:21-22] This means – that through, or because of, there still exists a faithful remnant God will act – and then “as the lightning comes … so will be the coming of the Son of Man,” [Matthew 24:27] May we truly “live through him” realizing time of the “great while to come” is almost upon us.
-------
- DC

23 July 2014

2 Samuel 8; 9
Jeremiah 13
Matthew 24

“THEY WILL GATHER HIS ELECT …”

Today we have the dramatic chapter 24 in Matthew to read – about the climax Jesus said would come on the Jews and then on the world because of utter godlessness. Much of what we read has two applications, first to the Jewish people because they had not recognised their Messiah – and had killed him – and then on the world as a whole because the message of Christ after “being proclaimed … as a testimony to all nations” [Matthew 24:14] had, as Jesus predicted, become corrupted “for false Christs and false prophets will arise … to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.” [Matthew 24:24]

Just as “there will be great tribulation” - and was - at the end of the Jewish nation, there will be greater tribulation at the end of the times of the Gentiles, “such as has not been from the beginning of the world … And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved.” [Matthew 24:21-22] The tense of the language here reflects how God sees things, “declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done” as we read recently in Isaiah 46:10.

Back to the words of Jesus, some wonderful words that - at that time ‘he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds …” [Matthew 24:31] out of “the great tribulation.”

These words of Jesus are very familiar to most of us – maybe too familiar! Is there a possibility our “hearts have grown dull” [Matthew 13:15] as we read last week? Surely all the present troubles in the Middle East centred in and around God’s regathered people should be making us think – and become as mentally prepared as possible, for, said Jesus, ”concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, not the Son, but the Father only… For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying … they were unaware until the flood came … so will be the coming of the Son of Man.” [Matthew 24:36-37]

Our chapter ends with a telling parable about servants not being ready for the return of the Master, but says Jesus, “blessed is the servant whom his Master will find so doing”[Matthew 24:46] when the angels are sent forth to “gather his elect.” Are you a servant who has responded to the Master’s call? May you and I be in that situation and be found to be among those who are seen as “faithful and wise.” [Matthew 24:45]
-------
- DC

24 July 2014

2 Samuel 10
Jeremiah 14
Matthew 25

“THE DECEIT OF THEIR OWN MINDS”

We meditate on God’s words to Jeremiah that show why he does not respond positively to the prophet’s plea. The prophet had said to God, “Though our iniquities testify against us, act, O LORD, for your name’s sake; for our backslidings are many; we have sinned against you” [Jeremiah 14:7]. The LORD responds, “Thus says the LORD concerning this people: ‘They have loved to wander … they have not restrained their feet; therefore the LORD does not accept them; now he will … punish their sins.’” [Jeremiah 14:10] If we are focussed on God to direct our feet – by reading and believing his word – our Heavenly Father knows the intentions of our heart.

In Jeremiah’s time there are others who claim to be prophets – they are giving the people a false message. He says, “Ah, Lord God, the prophets say to them, ‘You shall not see the sword, nor will you have famine, but I will give you assured peace …” [Jeremiah 14:13] We see a kind of parallel to this today, it is very sad. The memorial services being held after the tragic death of nearly 300 people killed in the plane crash try to give, to at least some, the belief that their loved ones now have a new form of existence.

The LORD bluntly tells Jeremiah that these “prophets are prophesying lies in my name … a lying vision … the deceit of their own minds” [Jeremiah 14:14] The true vision is clear in the words of Jesus we read in Matthew 25. “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne.” [Matthew 25:31] Then will come the time of reward and punishment, we recall Jesus’ words we read in Matthew 22 silencing the Sadducees for refusing to believe there would be a resurrection [Matthew 22:23-30].

In today’s chapter Jesus spells out the reward for the faithful, for such as Jeremiah, those who show their faith by their priorities and work – now - “Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world” [Matthew 25:34] This is echoed by Paul in writing to the Hebrews, telling them that those who truly love and serve God “all died in faith .. that they might rise again to a better life” [Hebrews 11:13,35] Let us all have minds free of deceit, a sure hope of “a better life” when we “inherit” a place in God’s kingdom soon to come on earth.
-------
- DC

25 July 2014

2 Samuel 11
Jeremiah 15
Matthew 26

“IS THIS NOT BATHSHEBA?

Today’s readings bring us to that very sad and disturbing account of David’s adultery with Bathsheba. He asked who she was and was plainly told “Is this not Bathsheba … the wife of Uriah” [2 Samuel 11:3]. To try to cover up his adultery he uses his authority to arrange the death of Uriah. How could David have been so blind to commit such a dreadful sin – two sins really – murder to try to cover up the first. Let’s weigh up the situation.

When someone has total power and is answerable to no other human, then there is always the potential to misuse that power. The only human being to succeed in overcoming all forms of temptation was Jesus – and his temptations revolved around the misuse of his special powers. David had achieved in his life everything that was humanly possible, except that God did not permit him to fulfil his dream of building a magnificent temple to his God. It is clear he had a very committed and energetic mind; he set about assembling much of the material that would be needed to build the temple.

Note how there is a strange lull in his activity at the time of his sin. Today’s chapter indicates that when winter is over it is customary for “kings to go out to battle” [2 Samuel 11:1], this would be to reassert their control over their dominions, yet this time David decided not to go but “remained in Jerusalem” and “sent Joab and his servants with him and all Israel” [2 Samuel 11:1].

There is an important lesson for us here; there can never be a time when we can take life ‘easy’, can relax when there is work at hand to be done in service to our Lord, that we can take or ‘make’ the opportunity to do. The Lord has given his servants different talents, abilities and opportunities and when we shirk using the one’s we have and perhaps sub-consciously feeling, “my Lord delays his coming”, we start to give opportunity for distractions and attractions to lodge in our minds and we start to drift off course. We have just read in Matthew about the servant who said, “My Master is delayed … and eats and drinks with the drunkards” [Matthew 24:48-49], that servant ends up “in that place where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” [Matthew 24:51]

Mercifully the Lord “put away” David’s sin because he had already proved himself an exceptional servant, he nevertheless suffered the consequences for the rest of his life, his authority was undermined, especially with Joab, and he lost confidence in himself. The lesson for us is plain, it is never time to ‘take time off’ when there is work for the Lord to be done.
-------
- DC