TFTBR - October 2013

Resource Manager

01 October 2013

1 Chronicles 15
Ezekiel 27
Luke 24

"THUS IT IS WRITTEN"

It is disappointing that so many only read the New Testament – and sometimes it is the only part of the Bible they have.   I recall this was the case when, many years ago, I went to Israel and Jordan with a Christian group – my complete Bible with the Old Testament was borrowed more than once!  

This comment was prompted by our reading today [Luke 24] of the drama of the appearances of Jesus after his resurrection.  He told the disciples on the road to Emmaus, “O foolish ones and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken” [Luke 24:25]  Then, after they had “recognized him and he vanished … they said to each other, ‘Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the scriptures” [Luke 24:32]  The Scriptures were, of course, the Old Testament.

Later, with all the disciples he “ate before them” [Luke 24:43] to prove he was a real being, and not some spirit manifestation. “Then he said to them, ‘These are my words that I spoke to you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.’  Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures, and said to them, ‘Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations …” [Luke 24:44-47]

Only now is the message going out to nations in every part of the world and it is heartwarming to see how genuine the response is in some areas.  What is proclaimed as an essential part of the original gospel is “repentance and forgiveness” – but how few among those where God’s word has long been readily available have that spirit – and really set their minds to “understand the Scripture.”    Make sure you do understand why “it is written” – otherwise you do not understand what salvation really is ...  
-------
- DC

02 October 2013

1 Chronicles 16
Ezekiel 28
Galatians 1; 2

“SEEK HIS PRESENCE CONTINUALLY”

We have a most interesting, stimulating and challenging selection of chapters today. Firstly we read how David is at last able to bring the ark of God into the tent, i.e. tabernacle, he had set up inside Jerusalem, now called the city of David (see 2 Chronicles 5:2), In today’s chapter [1 Chronicles 16] we read a song David compiles; a song of thanksgiving, because of this event, these are words which we can use when we come together to worship the LORD.

We read, “O give thanks to the LORD, call upon his name … let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice … seek his presence continually” [1 Chronicles 16:8,10,11] That should be our aim – more and more – as this world grows more and more evil.

Ezekiel in chapter 28 tells how “the word of the LORD came to me … say to the prince of Tyre, Thus says the Lord GOD” [Ezekiel 28:1-2] The leaders of Tyre had been in a favoured position, we will soon read in 2 Chronicles 2:3,11,14 of their involvement in building the Temple. how they worked with David and Solomon, we also read of this last week in 1 Chronicles 14:1.

Today’s chapter in Ezekiel recalls those days when they “were on the holy mountain of God … you were blameless in all your ways” [Ezekiel 28:14-15] But later “you sinned, so I cast you to the ground” says God “as a profane thing from the mountain of God, and I destroyed you … because your heart was proud … you corrupted your wisdom” [Ezekiel 28:16-17]

So Tyre’s special relationship with God’s people faltered and collapsed. We see a parallel with this in our N.T. reading in Galatians. Paul says he is “astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel – not that there is another one but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.” [Galatians 1:6-7]

Paul is very blunt because this is a vitally serious matter, he says, “If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one he received, let him be accursed.” [Galatians 1:9] Sadly it continued to happen, indeed it became worse in succeeding Centuries, with belief in an ‘immortal soul’ – belief that souls go to heaven or hell. Also belief that Jesus is an equal part of God (remember 1 Corinthians 15:24-28 and the reign of Christ until all things are in subjection to God, including Jesus)

So Tyre is an example for us. Also the praises of David! The Psalms reveal the wonder of the relationship he developed with God. Let us follow his example and “seek his presence continually” Reading and thinking deeply about his word every day is an essential part of achieving ”his presence continually”.
-------
- DC

03 October 2013

1 Chronicles 17
Ezekiel 29
Galatians 3; 4  

“WHO AM I LORD?”                                                                                          

David was a shepherd, he sought to do his job properly, and he did, he protected the sheep.   His father sent him with provisions for his brothers in the army, he knew nothing about the Philistine champion Goliath until he got there. The acts which made him great were caused by situations thrust upon him.

His faith in God, developed from his youth, it was the foundation on which his thinking and attitudes were built.  It was this state of mind that gave him the strength to triumph over God’s enemies – they were not his enemies – they only became so because they were jealous of the successes he gained through his faith and trust in God. Saul is a particular example of this.

In our reading today in 1 Chronicles 17 David is astonished at the promises God makes to him: David says, “O God. You have also spoken of your servant David’s house for a great while to come and have shown me future generations” [1 Chronicles 17:17]  David had said, in his humility, “Who am I LORD God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?” [1 Chronicles 17:16]

Reflect on your  own life – are your attitudes of faith, aims and ambitions such that God can use you in some part of his purposes? This is the lesson that jumps out at us from David’s life, up to this point in his history..  

Note David’s words in Psalm 18 - which is really a prayer to God.  “You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great” [Psalm 18:35]   Meditate on the nature of the one true God who invites us to serve him!  His nature was more fully revealed in his Son – our Saviour.  Remember how wonderfully gentle Jesus was with his disciples.  

We must each ask ourselves Who am I LORD?”  that I should have the prospect of what is promised for those for whom Christ is their Saviour. We read today in Galatians “For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.   There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ   And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise”. This is the Divine perspective, the anticipation of eternity for those who “put on Christ.”  

Have you become an heir?  Are you living like an heir should?
-------
- DC

04 October 2013

1 Chronicles 18; 19
Ezekiel 30
Galatians 5; 6  

GREATEST CONTRASTS                                                                                                          

Modern pictures often portray contrasting colours.  They rather hit you in the eye, whites and yellows, set against blues, blacks and reds.   This is particularly the case in advertising, as they try to grab our attention.  

Our reading today in Galatians does not set colours in contrast – it sets human behaviour!  It describes the good things in human behaviour that our God and our Saviour Jesus are looking to see. These are “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control” [Galatians 5:22-23]

The things that God and Jesus hate to see are “sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality … jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries … envy, drunkenness, orgies and things like that”  [Galatians 5:19-21]    

Paul’s warning about the second list is “I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God”  

There is no middle way!  It’s either a broad way, which the majority follow, or the narrow way.  The ecclesia at Laodicea was rejected because it was neither one thing or the other, it was “lukewarm” [Revelation 3:16]  So many are lukewarm today – the whole gospel that seems to be proclaimed is ‘love your neighbour as yourself and never do anyone any wrong’. That is good, it is a vital part of the foundation we set in place in accepting Christ, but that foundation has to be built upon.

There is real true joy and peace when we join together to follow the narrow way in contrast to the “emptiness” of humanity today – for the narrow way – and the truth of God’s word with which that way is ‘paved’ (such as knowing the real nature of life after death in God’s kingdom) is what our Saviour looks to see in us and loves those who walk along that way. Are you walking so that he loves you?  .  
-------
- DC

05 October 2013

1 Chronicles 20; 21
Ezekiel 31
Ephesians 1; 2

"THEN SATAN STOOD ..."

After reading today’s 4 chapters we felt we could write a book about all the challenging points of interest in them. 1 Chronicles 21 starts, “Then Satan stood against Israel and incited David to number Israel.” The parallel passage in 2 Samuel 24 makes no mention of a “satan.” Remarkably it says, “the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel and he incited David …” ! Our conclusion is that he allowed David’s own mind to have its way because he had reason to discipline Israel – and also teach David a lesson.

In our chapter today David admits, “I have sinned greatly in that I have done this thing” [1 Chronicles 21:8] We can see that ‘satan’ is a figure of speech that is often used in scripture to describe an adverse attitude of mind, one that swamps our efforts at good thinking. Satan is the Hebrew word ‘satanas’ and it first occurs in Numbers 22:22 and again in Numbers 22:32 to describe, (as translated in the A V) how an angel God sent stood in the way to be an ‘adversary’ to ‘withstand’ Balaam, a bad prophet. It is not easy to get our minds around this phraseology of Scripture, but God’s angel was a ‘satan.’.

We read last month in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 that Paul realised that God – to “keep” him “from being too elated by the surpassing greatness of the revelations (he hand experienced) a thorn was given me in the flesh’, says Paul,,” a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being too elated.” The paradox is Paul’s conclusion in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10, “For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses … for when I am weak, then I am strong.” This means, strong in the ways that matter, in one’s working with and reliance upon God, and, as a result appreciating such ”thorns” that cause this.

In our Ephesians reading Paul tells them how ”you once walked, following the course of this world, the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work among the sons of disobedience – among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and mind … like the rest of mankind.” [Ephesians 2:2-3]

Taking the passage as a whole we can see that our “desires of the body (flesh – Footnote) and mind do not mean we are controlled or influenced by some evil spirit power – like puppets on a string - but that our lives present us with two options – to remain “dead “ [Ephesians 2:5] to being influenced by the ways of God, becoming more and more self-centred instead of Christ-centred - or to be “made … alive together with Christ (who) … raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.” [Ephesians 2:6-7] Are you succeeding in living in “heavenly” places?

So again we have the broad and narrow ways – we either walk on our own, stumbling along the broad way (or rushing along it!) – or - by feeding diligently on God’s word – we increasingly show “we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them” [Ephesians 2:10]
-------
- DC

06 October 2013

1 Chronicles 22
Ezekiel 32
Ephesians 3; 4

“CORRUPTING TALK”

The world today is full of ‘corrupting talk’. The Apostle Paul uses this phrase in today’s Ephesians’ chapters. This is the natural way of speaking in many cases among people who have no thought of God, especially those who are convinced they are the highest form of animal life and that they are just the result of evolution.

The ‘atmosphere’ created by godless ways of thinking – and therefore talking - which we often experience as we go to school or work, constantly threatens to rub off on us. This atmosphere can so easily influence the way we think – and as a result, what we talk about. Although we are aware ‘we are in the world but not of it’ the words of Paul we read today are needed as a constant reminder.

He wrote, “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up as fits the occasion, that may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God (the means by which God and Christ know all our thoughts and words – read Psalm 139) … Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamour and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” [Ephesians 4:29-32]

We wonder what other comments Paul would have added if TV had existed in his days, or the movies, or an endless range of fleshly fiction books? Use your imagination as to what he could have written! Do we sense as much as we should how exposing our senses to such things is affecting us. It is all food for the mind – and might be compared somewhat with feeding on lots of junk food for our body. But in many cases the medical profession can put our bodies back in reasonable order – but not so the mind, the thought processes and habits, steadily destroy our character – and – in the end there is no remedy.

Paul’s use of the phrase “tender-hearted jumped out at us. How few are “tender hearted” these days. The influence of our daily reading and meditating on the word of God is a significant ingredient towards making this attitude of mind happen with us.

It is just as important to get our attitudes right as it is to get our beliefs right. Take special notice of what Paul also writes, “But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ” [Ephesians 4:15] How is your growing up progressing?
-------
- DC

07 October 2013

1 Chronicles 23
Ezekiel 33
Ephesians 5; 6

“ … PLAYS WELL ON AN INSTRUMENT”

Ezekiel, somewhat like Jeremiah, has a challenging time in being a prophet of the LORD.  The reaction to his message is somewhat different, but it does have lessons for us today.  He is told by the LORD, “As for you … your people who talk together about you by the walls and at the doors of the houses, say to one another, each to his brother, 'Come and hear what the word is that comes from the LORD.' And they come to you as people come, and they sit before you as my people, and they hear what you say but they will not do it …” [Ezekiel 33:30-31]

Do we read the Bible?  Do we like doing so?  Do we like talking about it? Do we like hearing God’s word explained?   What effect does all this have?  It must have an influence on the way we think and the way we live – we must not be like those who heard Ezekiel.

God tells Ezekiel that he is aware of the answers to these questions:  what God says is most interesting (and maybe surprising (to us)!   God says, “Behold you are to them like one who sings lustful songs (AV/ASV 'very lovely songs') with a beautiful voice and plays well on an instrument for they hear what you say …” [Ezekiel 33:32]  

Can it be that reading God’s word and listening to others talk about it makes us feel respectable and good? Remember what Jesus said, “… my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.” [Luke 8:21]  We show we “hear” by what we do as a result.   But of those who heard Ezekiel - God says, “they hear what you say but they will not do it; for … their heart is set on gain” – so very many are swept along by what is valued in this life.  

We read earlier in the chapter of God’s commission to Ezekiel – do we not have the same commission?  “I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel.  Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me” [Ezekiel 33:7]   There was plenty for Ezekiel to warn them about. Note Ezekiel 33:11, God says, “I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked”  But history testifies to how often God has, in the end, destroyed the godless. God’s judgements finally came on Israel – and they will do so today to the Gentiles.  

The final words in the chapter are, “When this comes – then they will know that a prophet has been among them”   All around us people are turning away from God, many are not even sure he exists, some declare they are certain that he doesn’t!    But all need to be aware of God’s warnings!   True believers should sense they are following in Ezekiel’s footsteps – don’t you feel that responsibility?  Are you playing well on your instrument?  The reaction of the hearers is not primarily your responsibility!
-------
- DC

08 October 2013

1 Chronicles 24; 25
Ezekiel 34
Philippians 1; 2

A WORK OUT

Those of you who are young know what it is to have “a work out” – we understand it as a simple way of saying - exercising to keep yourself fit. It is just as important; well, actually far more important, to keep ourselves spiritually fit. If you are really young and feel very physically fit, then make sure your aim is also to grow up and become spiritually fit.

Note the phrase that occurs in our Philippians readings this morning. Paul writes, “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you both to will and to work for his good pleasure” [Philippians 2:12-13] That’s a fantastic verse … God works in us! But if we are not interested in him and do not meditate on his involvement in our lives, then we cannot expect him to watch over us in whatever “work out” we choose.

If we choose to “work out” God’s way then we will be training ourselves to think and act in a Christ like way and we will use our lives to serve him.

For example, we will aim to follow Paul’s advice “being in full accord and one mind” with those also in training. “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit” counselled Paul, “but in humility count others more significant than yourselves” [Philippians 2:2-3]

We have also been reading Ezekiel and the Jews he knew totally failed the spiritual “work out” God expected of them. He had been patient with them over many generations but now all sorts of terrible things happened to them, as we have been reading. Our God is very patient; he wants us to be saved, to be in his wonderful kingdom which will soon come on this earth.

Just as we do physical exercises, especially the young – but also those not so young who still want to feel “young.” In the same way both young and old must exercise their minds about God and Jesus by reading God’s word.

In that way we will know what to pray for – and our prayers will be answered. But if we only pray when we are in trouble, is it fair to expect God to answer? Trouble is certainly coming on this earth – we will need to be spiritually fit as fully as possible to cope with it. Is there enough oil (of faith) in your lamps?
-------
- DC

09 October 2013

1 Chronicles 26
Ezekiel 35
Philippians 3; 4

"ONE THING I DO …"

The Apostle Paul is very emotional as he expresses his thoughts in his letter to the believers at Philippi. He makes us realize that a fully committed belief in Christ goes hand in hand with a fullness of conviction which creates, as a result, a living relationship day by day with our Lord Jesus.

His words, to be fully appreciated, require us to engage in emotional meditation if we are to capture the fullness of his heart felt message. Paul is greatly distressed about those who have failed to achieve this vital attitude of commitment, it is an attitude created by seeing the unseen! Do you know personally what we mean?

This ‘knowing’ must be at the heart of all true and genuine lives of faith. It is true that there will be some occasions when such a vision fails, men like David and Elijah experienced this; let us realize how David’s Psalms show his seeing’ was the driving force in his life.

The letter of Paul to the Philippines is the most positive of all his letters, yet even at Philippi he had many failures to grieve over. He writes of “many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ.” [Philippians 3:18]

What were they doing to make them enemies? One thing Paul says is “their God is their belly”!! It reminds us of the parable of Jesus about the man who had his mind focussed on this life’s blessings and said to himself, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years, relax, eat, drink, be merry.” [Luke 12:19] This is the aim of so many today whether they have “ample goods” or not. Without Christ, lives lived with this as a dominating focus of thought can and will come to a sudden and – an eternally sad - end.

Paul sums up the attitude that distressed him by stating that such have their “minds set on earthly things.” [Philippians 3:19] Undoubtedly those who did this, did not see they were doing so, they would usually find time to go and worship for an hour or two on the first day of the week.

The most positive part of Paul’s message is his appeal, “Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us” [Philippians 3:17] “One thing I do … I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus … let us hold true to what we have attained.” [Philippians 3:13,14,16]
-------
- DC

10 October 2013

1 Chronicles 27
Ezekiel 36
John 1

“IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD”

Today we start reading the Gospel of John, which is one of the most challenging books of the Bible to fully understand. But the Bible would soon lose our continuing interest if its meaning was immediately plain as we read it. Often we have to think carefully about what we read to get to unfold the fullness of its meaning. This is God’s wisdom in causing it to be written the way it is.

The problem is made greater in a few cases because the translators have had a fixed idea in their minds as to its meaning. John’s Gospel begins by using the word WORD. “In the beginning was the WORD” In the Greek this is the word logos. It is sometimes translated as saying [eg John 4:47,49] and the lexicon says it primarily means ‘spoken word’

Genesis 1 is all about what God said to create life on earth. Then under the leadership of Moses, all that the people heard in the wilderness was God’s ‘voice’ from the top of the mountain. God was known by his WORD, no one saw God he was ‘known’ to exist because of his voice and actions.

The translators confuse us in John 1 when they start to use the word “Him” as a pronoun for ‘Word.’ The earliest translations (Tyndale) use the word “it.” The best way to make sure we get the right understanding is to use the noun instead of the pronoun - then you read -. “All things were made through a word, and without a word was not anything made that was made” [John 1:3] This then fits in with the way God revealed himself to Moses and the people who came out of Egypt.

But there is a greater meaning to be found, a spiritual meaning ­ it is this: the words of Jesus had the power to bring eternal life to those that accepted them. The Jews [John 1:11] did not accept his words “But to all who did receive him, who believed his name, he gave the right to become ‘children of God’ [John 1:12]

Do we want to become children of God? Or just live and die as animal beings so that in the end we are no better than an animal? Very few had access to the written word in and after the time of Jesus, yet “in the beginning” when the gospel began to be preached and spread forth in the days of the apostles, the good news “the word” revealed was eagerly embraced ­ but today! How few are thrilled at words such as in Psalm 119 “Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light to my path” [Psalm 119:105] May that be true of you.
-------
- DC

11 October 2013

1 Chronicles 28
Ezekiel 37
John 2; 3

"UNLESS ONE IS BORN OF WATER AND THE SPIRIT"

These words of Jesus to Nicodemus, the Jewish teacher who came to him by night, challenge our thinking and understanding. We need to understand them within the context of the unfolding words of Jesus. Many Christians like to say they are “born again,” but what did Jesus mean?

Nicodemus admitted. “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him” [John 3:2] His words lead Jesus to respond, “unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God” [John 3:3]. Our rebirth is essential if we are to experience God’s coming kingdom.

God responds to what he sees in the heart of the one seeking to be re-born. We recall God’s words through Isaiah, “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him (or her) who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite.” [isaiah 57:15]

Thus there is a ‘rebirth’ in the heart of one who is genuinely “born again” because of the action of he who is above. The visible evidence of this is then created by the person themselves in being ‘born of water’ as happened on the day of Pentecost [Acts 2:37-38].

Later in today’s chapter John Baptist’s disciples comment on how “all are going to him” (Jesus) and “look he is baptising” [John 3:26,22; 4:1-2 – the disciples of Jesus were doing the baptising]

However, it was ‘whoever receives his testimony” [John 3:32] that was the vital factor; the man (or woman) who did so “sets his seal to this, that God is true” [John 3:33] When you ‘set a seal’ to a document you were locking yourself into a decision you have made! Being “born of water” is one stage, being born of “the spirit” – having a new way of thinking - is a vital part to being “born again” in the way Jesus meant it. The opposite to this is in John 3:31, “He who is of the earth, belongs to the earth and speaks in an earthly way.”

We must ask ourselves – in what way do we speak? Today we could add, and write! This is evidence before God as to whether we have been born of water and of the spirit? The last verse of chapter 3 spells it out, “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; who ever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.” [John 3:36]
-------
- DC

12 October 2013

1 Chronicles 29
Ezekiel 38
John 4  

“YOURS, O LORD IS THE GREATNESS”                                                                                    

We tend to give only passing attention to our Chronicles reading because our other readings today in Ezekiel 38 and John 4 provoke so much thought.  But in Chronicles we have the climax to King David’s life.  Consider the scene: he had made great provision for building the Temple, others had followed his example and “the people rejoiced because they had given willingly, for with a whole heart they had offered freely to the Lord” [1 Chronicles 29:9].

Consider now the exalted spirit owe read in David’s final public prayer. “Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and the earth is yours.  Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all.  And now we thank you, our God, and praise your glorious name.” [1 Chronicles 29:11-13]

We need to take special note of the sudden change of thought that now comes into the prayer!  David’s mind, his vision of life and all that it really amounts to, causes him to say, “But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able thus to offer willingly?  For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you.  For we are strangers before you and sojourners as all our fathers were.  Our days on the earth are like a shadow, and there is no abiding.” [1 Chronicles 29:14-15]

David was totally honest and faced the true reality of the human position in his thinking, the human position is a total contrast to God’s.  He then becomes very personal about his relationship with God. “I know, my God, that you test the heart and have pleasure in uprightness.  In the uprightness of my heart I have freely offered all these things, and now I have seen your people, who are present here, offering freely and joyously to you … keep forever such purposes and thoughts in the hearts of your people, and direct their hearts toward you.” [1 Chronicles 29:17-18]

Let us emulate David’s prayer whenever we pray for each other – as we should.

David now fell asleep and Solomon becomes king. David’s Psalm [Psalm 17], as a prayer.  provides a fitting epitaph to the thoughts we have culled. Note particularly its last verse. “As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.”  David has set us a heart moving example and meditation that we should follow!  
-------
- DC

13 October 2013

2 Chronicles 1; 2
Ezekiel 39
John 5

"YOU WERE WILLING TO REJOICE FOR AWHILE"                                                                                

We may read God’s word every day, we may find it interesting and helpful as a guide to living a satisfying life, but is that enough?  What did Jesus mean when he spoke about God’s word abiding, that is, living in a person?  Who was Jesus talking to on this occasion?

Today’s reading of John 5 is about the increasing confrontation of Jesus with many of his hearers [John 5:18].  The challenge for them had begun with the preaching of John Baptist and Jesus says of him, “He was a burning and a shining lamp and you were willing to rejoice for a while in his light.” [John 5:35]  They listened and there was a time of much interest, even of rejoicing, but then it suddenly became too hard to accept the message, especially when Jesus forcefully endorsed John’s criticism challenging their vested interests.

What a great lesson is there here for us.  The words of God which Jesus conveyed to human beings have to be accepted into the minds of those who hear and made part of the principles by which they live. .  If it is not genuinely accepted it cannot live in them.  When it lives in them, it becomes an integral part of their thinking. It is the “living water” that Jesus spoke to the woman of Samaria about – as we read yesterday [John 4:10] noting how Jesus went on to explain, “The water that I will give him will become a spring of water welling up to eternal life” [John 4:14]

Water is a cleansing agent and the “living water” that Jesus provides is his cleansing word.  But for it to do its work it has to abide in us.  The Jews who rejoiced for a while at hearing John the Baptist failed to let his words abide in them. The same, very sadly, has been true of every generation since and is even more true of our generation..  

Human nature is such that all too often we only hear what we want to hear.  On another occasion Jesus said, “For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Take care then how you hear … ” [Luke 8:17-18] There is no point in listening to Jesus and his message from God if we do not let his words live in us and change our thinking, and therefore, the priorities in our lives become re-directed.

Jesus also said, as we also read today, “whoever hears my word and believes on him who sent me has eternal life” [John 5:24], surely this means that their names are now in “the book of life” as we read last week in Philippians 4:3.   Let us be fully willing to live so that we “rejoice” day by day, week by week and year by year, so that our names remain “in the book of life” (see Revelation 3:5).
-------
- DC

14 October 2013

2 Chronicles 3; 4
Ezekiel 40
John 6

WHEN JESUS RAN AWAY!

Our readings in John 6 tell us of when Jesus, in effect, ran away! Thousands of people had just personally experienced a great miracle, it is the one miracle recorded in all four gospels; the time when Jesus miraculously fed thousands of people.

People can see miracles, such as healings, even a dead man raised, things experienced by others, but when they personally experience something completely miraculous, it makes a greater impression on them. The text says that “when they had seen this sign” they said, “This is truly the prophet who is to come into the world” [John 6:14] and they then “were about to come and take him by force and make him King” [John 6:15].

The very next words we read are, “He departed again to a mountain by himself alone” Why did he do this? He was, in effect, running away from them. Remember that one of the temptations in the wilderness was also an invitation to Him to take rulership over all the kingdoms of the world [Matthew 4:8-9].

Recall also how he answered Pilate’s question, “So you are a king?” by saying, “For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world” [John 18:37]

What a temptation is was then for him to respond to this opportunity to be immediately proclaimed king – His Father had given him unlimited power [John 3:34] and his destiny was to bring total justice to the world, in ruling over all.. But this would be doing the right thing the wrong way! This is an extreme example of the more subtle and dangerous temptations we have in life.

Those who think Jesus is God himself are unable to properly comprehend this; but recall the words in the letter to the Hebrews that our High Priest (Jesus) is “one who in every respect has been tempted as we are” [Hebrews 4:15]

The Apostle Paul, despite all his dedication in serving Christ admits, “I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members” [Romans 7:23] It is clear Jesus was tempted in the same way, but “the law of sin” never won.

In the gospel Matthew wrote, his Master’s temptations in the wilderness were most probably revealed to him through being told about them by Jesus, who described his inner temptation in the form of parables to illustrate for them and us how an intimate knowledge of what “is written” provides the impetus to turn away from temptation.

So let us follow the example of Jesus and aim to run away from temptations by doing something else, thinking of something else, or by calling a Bible passage to mind as Jesus did in his wilderness temptations – or, as we have just read, by 'running away' to a private place to pray.
-------
- DC

15 October 2013

2 Chronicles 5; 6
Ezekiel 41
John 7  

"RENDER TO EACH WHOSE HEART YOU KNOW"  

In today’s reading of 2 Chronicles 6 we have Solomon’s remarkable prayer at the dedication of the wonderful Temple he had just completed.  It was constructed of cedar, but just about all the interior had been overlaid with gold.  Imagine it!  The greatest focus of the gold was on the Most Holy Place where Israel’s God, the only real God was to “dwell” between the cherubim above the ark.

Solomon “knelt on his knees in the presence of all the assembly … and spread out his hands toward heaven” [2 Chronicles 6:13] He was on a raised bronze platform about 4.5 ft (1.4 metres) high.  In his humility he is fully aware of the unimaginable greatness of God.  His words include, “but will God indeed dwell with man on earth?  Behold heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain you …” [2 Chronicles 6:18] Solomon then enumerates the various situations which will cause men and women to offer prayers here.

Our attention particularly focussed on verse 29 and onwards..  “Whatever prayer, whatever plea is made …. each knows his own affliction and his own sorrow … then hear from heaven your dwelling place and forgive and render to each whose heart you know, according to all his (or her) ways, for you, you only know the hearts of the children of mankind that they may fear you and walk in your ways in all the days that they live in the land … ” [2 Chronicles 6:29-31]  The redeemed will live in the land for ever!  

A great amount of food for mediation is in those words.  God can “tune in” to all hearts and there are hearts that he then has a relationship with – to “know” them!  Such, we are sure, then ‘know’ him more and more.

This perception of Solomon reflects the words of his father David in Psalm 11, “The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD’s throne is in heaven; his eyes see, his eyelids test the children of men. The LORD tests the righteous … he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face.” [Psalm 11:4,5,7].

We read two days ago the words of Jesus to those critical of him, “I know that you do not have the love of God within you” [John 5:42].  God and Jesus know our hearts! May that affect your life, the way you think – but each one of us have to decide that!   To fail to make a decision – is itself – a decision!
-------
- DC

16 October 2013

2 Chronicles 7
Ezekiel 42
John 8  

"THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE"

Today’s long chapter [John 8] in John’s Gospel is really challenging.  Jesus said, “Whoever is of God knows the words of God, the reason you do not hear them is that you are not of God” [John 8:47].  But of course they were hearing what he said; the point was that they could not make sense of his words, they could not see what he meant because their minds were so fixed in their own way of thinking.  The same problem exists today!

There are some listening to Jesus who are wanting to believe and understand his words and to them Jesus says, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free” [John 8:32]  This confuses them!  Free from what?  As descendants of Abraham, they say, we are not “enslaved to anyone, how is it that you say, ‘you will become free?’ ” [John 8:33]

Jesus then makes the point, “everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin … if the Son sets you free you will be free indeed.” [John 8:36]   Most of his listeners fail to get the point – and in the end the essential point is whether they are “of God” – or not. If they are “of God” they will continue to listen and develop an understanding.  

It is likely that many of these listeners would later hear Peter’s message on the day of Pentecost and “were cut to the heart” [Acts 2:37] and ready to receive and understand the true meaning of Christ’s words and be made free – a freedom accomplished through seeing what the sacrifice on the cross meant, it brought to a completion the purpose of the Law, the “letter” of which had enslaved them. (to more fully ‘see’ the point read  2 Corinthians 3:6-16)  Paul, the converted Pharisee puts it succinctly, “the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ” [Romans 8:2]

On the day of Pentecost the freedom of the hearers was completed the moment they accepted the true meaning of Peter’s message – and were baptised! As a result “when Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory”  [Colossians 3:4]

They had heard Peter quote from the Psalms, “You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence” [Acts 2:28]    We can link this with the words of Solomon we have just read in his dedication of the Temple, his intense awareness of the all seeing eye of God and the future.  Let us commit ourselves to inviting the words of Jesus and his Father to abide in us and direct our lives – then we will be set free indeed!
-------
- DC

17 October 2013

2 Chronicles 8
Ezekiel 43
John 9; 10

"WHERE I WILL DWELL … FOREVER"                                                                                      

There are so many much loved hymns to "the glory of the Lord".  The best known is Handel's Messiah with words all taken from Scripture. What is it to sing about the Lord's glory?  Have we a clear picture in our minds of the future glory?  

The detail in the final 9 chapters in Ezekiel are difficult reading, they go into great detail about the measurements, etc of this future temple.  There are dramatic word pictures in today's reading of Ezekiel 43.    Here, after "the man" had led Ezekiel around every aspect of the Temple and described its functions, "the glory of the God of Israel" comes from the east.  It is like "the sound of many waters, and the earth shone with His Glory" [Ezekiel 43:1-2]

Ezekiel says it is just like the awesome vision of God's glory he had by the river Chebar that we puzzled over in Ezekiel 1.   The glory enters the city by the EAST gate and Ezekiel hears "this is the place of my throne… where I will dwell … forever" [Ezekiel 43:7] The prophet is told to describe to them the vision he has had "that they may be ashamed of their iniquities" [Ezekiel 43:10]      Do we feel unworthy as a result of reading these visions of the future kingdom, its temple and its glory?  Note the significant word "IF" –  "if they are ashamed of all that they have done, make known to them the design of the temple … and all its laws …" [Ezekiel 43:11]    The key principle is right here … their (and our) reaction to the grandeur of God's glory means we must ask ourselves - are we ashamed of our failures?  All around us are people who have no sense of shame.  We must not let their attitudes rub off on us?  

God's glory, is seen in the absolute wonder of his creation – of which we have learnt  incredibly more detail in our generation, but it is dumbly ignored or denied by almost all the people around us.  It seems certain God will deal with them as he dealt with the people of Ezekiel's age in the tragedy that befell Solomon's magnificent temple. Surely -  a lesson we must learn if we are to dwell forever and experience the full wonder of God's glory.
-------
- DC

18 October 2013

2 Chronicles 9
Ezekiel 44
John 11

"SO THAT YOU MAY BELIEVE"

What do you believe?  Equally important, if not more so ­ is ­ Why do you believe what you claim to believe? We have searched our hearts in times past to give a genuine answer to this question ourselves.

Our asking of this question was prompted by what we read today in John 11.  Jesus was conversing with his disciples and when he told them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep” [John 11:11] they did not realize that he meant he had died, “they thought that he meant taking rest in sleep.  Then Jesus told them plainly, ‘Lazarus has died, and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe.” [John 11:15]  

The account of the drama of Lazarus coming out of the tomb “his hands and his feet bound with linen straps, and his face wrapped with a cloth” [John 11:44] was surely an overwhelming experience for those privileged to witness it?  This happened “so that you may (really) believe,”  said Jesus; that is, have the certainty of complete conviction in your hearts.

We believe in the return of Jesus ­ that this is the only hope for an increasingly discordant, chaotic and troubled world. The troubles vary depending on where you live. Many troubles are man-made, others are earthquakes, huge forest fires and the like.  Do we possess such total conviction in our hearts that we will it not be shaken when this world starts to become torn apart in the time Daniel was told about?  It is the time immediately preceding the resurrection.  He was told” there shall be a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time” [Daniel 12:1]  Jesus also predicts this, see Matthew 24:21-27.

Is our conviction of belief such that it is creating in us complete confidence and sureness of mind?  At the end of that marvellous chapter about the sureness of the resurrection [1 Corinthians 15], Paul tells them, “be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labour is not in vain.”  [1 Corinthians 15:58]

Our personal experience is that the more we abound in the work of the Lord the stronger becomes our sureness of belief.
-------
- DC

19 October 2013

2 Chronicles 10; 11
Ezekiel 45
John 12

“THAT YOU MAY BECOME …”

Life never stands still – we are all in the process of becoming something; this is especially the case of those going to College or University. How many in this country appreciate the wide range of opportunities they have? It seems to be part of human nature never to be satisfied, always wanting something better, or at least, wanting some new experience.

Those who prayerfully read God’s word are the only ones who keep life in a true and balanced perspective. As we read John 12 today we saw how Jesus kept challenging his hearers, he told them, “Whoever loves his life loses it …” [John 12:25] A strange saying? Not when you put it into the context of loving God. You ‘serve’ the things you love – money and food being outstanding examples today.

Jesus said, If any one serves me, the Father will honour him (or her)” [John 12:26] Jesus is spelling out the principles by which we live our lives in plain simple language; in a spiritual sense, do we see our lives as being in “light” or “darkness”? From the Divine perspective there is nothing in between!

Jesus “is the light of the world.” He told them, “The light is among you for a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you” [John 12:35]

Our world is increasingly full of darkness! Where do you stand at the moment? In the shadows perhaps? The light of the world said, “The one who walks in darkness does not know where he is going. While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light.” [John 12:36]

Do you believe in “the light”? If not, what do you believe? Are you distracted by the shadows? The way forward is to make sure you read God’s word every day; King David put it so succinctly in the Psalms, “Your word is a light to my feet and a lamp to my path.” [Psalm 119:105]
-------
- DC

20 October 2013

2 Chronicles 12; 13
Ezekiel 46
John 13; 14

"IF ANYONE LOVES ME HE WILL KEEP MY WORD"                                                                            

Our thoughts today flow on from yesterday’s,  “Hate” is the opposite to “love” – and we saw the sense in which Jesus used the word “hate.”  We know we cannot love the “life” that is all around us today with it’s self-centred ways of thinking and doing.  As we read chapters 13 and 14 of John we saw how Jesus tried to provoke deeper thinking among his disciples.

After “hating” the atmosphere of life in this present age we must then move on to find positive ways of thinking and understanding.  John 14 starts “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God”   What is it to “Believe in God”? If someone says ‘I believe my house is on fire’ – that belief is quickly proved or disproved.  “Belief” can often be a ‘surface’ belief of no real substance. Jesus said to them, “I am telling you this now; before it takes place, so that when it does take place you may believe that I am he.” [John 13:19]  He repeats this again in John 14:9, he wants to make sure they get the point.

We can reason with people today so that they say, ‘Yes, I believe there must be a God, a Creator.’  Now that is just the first stepping stone – they – and we – must keep going!  The final stepping stone is labelled “love.”

Jesus says, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word” [John 14:23].  This is not keeping his word in a “ritual” way as the Pharisees and others did. Take special note of Jesus’ next words, “ … he will keep my word , and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.”

Home!?  What does he mean? He is surely speaking of a private and intimate relationship. The Jews had only thought in terms of a national relationship – God was the God of Israel. Keeping the words of Jesus is the result of believing them in such a way that they become part of our thinking.

In John 15 we will read, “you are clean through the word I have spoken to you.” [John 15:3]  The “dirt” in this world gives us much reason to realize his words are vital.  It is evident, at least to others, if we do not wash regularly to keep our bodies clean.  How evident is it with our mind?  Let is never ignore the fact - it is evident to God!
-------
- DC

21 October 2013

2 Chronicles 14; 15
Ezekiel 47
John 15; 16

“… WHILE YOU ARE WITH HIM”

We know that after Solomon died the nation of Israel fragmented because of the folly of his son. In today’s readings events have moved on – after two disastrous reigns, Solomon’s great grandson Asa becomes king. In chapter 14 (of 2 Chronicles) we read how he prospered and in chapter 15 how God’s spirit came on Azariah, a prophet, who “went out to meet Asa and said to him, ‘Hear me, Asa, and all Judah and all Benjamin (the 2 southern tribes over which he reigned): The LORD is with you while you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you.” [2 Chronicles 15:2-3]

Today, as then, the other nations around Jerusalem are in disarray, the prophet went on to observe, “there was no peace … for great disturbances afflicted all the inhabitants of the lands … Nation was crushed by nation and city by city, for God troubled them with every sort of distress. But you (Asa), take courage! Do not let your hands be weak, for your work shall be rewarded.” [2 Chronicles 15:5-7]

These words are so appropriate today, believers in Israel, although probably few in number, but God knows, would, if they noticed them, find them especially appropriate as they observe the ongoing troubles in Syria, Egypt, Damascus and Cairo. One day the nation of Israel will have its eyes fully opened to the reality of their Saviour and his father, their God of old.

Yet many who say they believe there is a God – do they really rely on him and take to heart the prophets words, “The LORD is with you while you are with him”? Let us make sure we are with him, Jesus puts our situation wonderfully well in his words to his disciples which we read today, “Whoever abides in me and I in him , he (or she) it is who bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing” [John 15:5] Is your fruit tree flourishing?
-------
- DC

22 October 2013

2 Chronicles 16; 17
Ezekiel 48
John 17; 18  

“… THEY ARE NOT OF THE WORLD”  

The final prayer of Jesus before his arrest is intensely moving – it provokes the profoundest thoughts as we absorb its meaning into our minds.  We could have expected Jesus to concentrate his thoughts inward, on himself and establish a conviction of mind that his will must become the same as his Father’s will – and the other gospels show that he did this in the garden by the Mount of Olives (see Luke 22:39-46 and other gospels)

John’s record as “the disciple whom Jesus (specially) loved” [John 21:7,20 &c]  enables him to record his Master’s intensely personal prayer that we read today in John 17.  We read how Jesus “lifted up his eyes to heaven” and said, “”The hour has come …” [John 17:1] and there follows, after he has stated his deep awareness that his Father is “glorified” in what he has done and is about to do; he says [John 17:6] “I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world.”  

The “name” of the Father can be understood as his intimate involvement with those called to serve him, as the disciples were, they became “worthy” of his name” (see Acts 5:41), worthy of some degree of ‘reflection’ in their  characters, of his name..   One was “lost … the son of destruction” [John 17:12] For all the others, he said in prayer,  “I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me.  I am praying for them.  I am not praying for the world …” [John 17:8-9]  

Then Jesus makes the point.  “I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.” [John 17:14]  What does it mean to be “not of the world”?  It is a way of emphasizing the big difference between those who have their values and focus on this world and those whose minds are alive to “heavenly things.” (remember what Jesus said to Nicodemus – John 3:12)

Jesus prays that his father “will keep them from evil” (AV – the Gk text does not have ‘evil one’)  Jesus then states again, “They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.” [John 17:16-17]  The word ‘Sanctify’ means to set apart to become holy – and “thy word – God’s word, the Bible, is an essential ingredient for that to happen.

But how do we use that ‘ingredient’ in our lives?  We must each ask ourselves that question.  Just how well-nourished is my mind?  Let us all give ourselves an honest answer.    
-------
- DC

23 October 2013

2 Chronicles 18; 19
Daniel 1
John 19

“… AND HE MADE A MARRIAGE ALLIANCE”

What a fascinating set of readings we have today, they provide a multitude of thoughts! We read in 2 Chronicles yesterday of the great successes of Jehoshaphat and how “the LORD established the kingdom in his hand … His heart was courageous in the ways of the LORD” and he “grew steadily greater.” [2 Chronicles 17:5,6,12]

However, in today’s chapter [2 Chronicles 18] we read of his serious error of judgment. The chapter starts, “Now Jehoshaphat had great riches and honour and he made a marriage alliance with Ahab” whose wife was the infamous Jezebel. In theory Ahab worshipped the God of Israel, but in practice he was a man without any principles.

Ahab wanted Jehoshaphat to join him in fighting against the Syrians, and Jehoshaphat says, “I am as you are, my people as your people. We will be with you in the war.” [2 Chronicles 18:3] The war is a disaster and Ahab is killed, the warnings of a genuine prophet of the LORD were ignored by Ahab.

In the next chapter we read how, when Jehoshaphat returned to Jerusalem, a “seer went out to meet him and said … ‘Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the LORD? Because of this, wrath has gone out against you from the LORD. Nevertheless, some good is found in you, for you destroyed the Asherah’s (idols) out of the land, and have set your heart to seek God.” [2 Chronicles 19:2-3]

What a valuable lesson there is in this sequence of events! We show whether we really love the Lord or not by what we do ­ this shows we really mean what we say. Ahab was ostensibly an Israelite, but his actions repeatedly showed he was not one in his heart ­ tragically this is also the situation within Christianity ­ it is so easy to take it for granted that all who claim Christ to be their Saviour are genuine, but as with Ahab, actions speak louder than words ­ and a really good God-fearing man like Jehoshaphat made a serious mistake with tragic consequences, especially for the next generations as we will read in coming days..

Peter wrote to the early believers telling them that “having purified your souls by obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart” [1 Peter 1:22] The truth as taught by Jesus and the Apostles is the foundation, then acts of love build upon it; acts which must be from “a pure heart.” How tragic was the failure of Jehoshaphat after he said, “I am as you are”! His life story provides a meaningful lesson for us.
-------
- DC

24 October 2013

2 Chronicles 20
Daniel 2
John 20; 21

“THAT BY BELIEVING YOU MAY HAVE …”

We felt overwhelmed by the lessons contained in today’s 3 readings. First there was a sequel to what we read yesterday about Jehoshaphat. We read today of his remarkable God ordained victory over a large group of nations that came against his nation. Their efforts disintegrated into civil war [2 Chronicles 20:20-30], we see a repeat of this to some extent today in the nations north and south of Israel!

It was most interesting that the Israeli Leader, Netanyahu, in a report on October 3rd on his address to the U.N. apparently made no less than 5 references or allusions to the Bible, and not all were from the Old Testament! He clearly reads Isaiah. Today the “surrounding nations” [Zechariah 12:2] are in disarray; are events building up to fulfill Zechariah 12:6?

We put the jigsaw pieces of prophecy together – as closely as possible – but we need to be sure that all the adjoining pieces really lock together, before we can speak or write with total certainty. Most of us are familiar with Nebuchadnezzar’s dream that we read today and the interpretation as revealed to Daniel. Daniel 2:39 has always seemed to us a difficult fit; after all the third kingdom, commonly accepted as the Greek dominion, never “bore rule over all the earth” – it never functioned as a kingdom with a central seat of Government as the others did. It was the Romans who “bore rule over all (the then known) earth.”

But we are not saved by having our interpretation of the detail of such prophecies correct but by our reaction to and acceptance of what Christ really taught. As we read the climax of John’s gospel we saw how he made this point very succinctly, “ … these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” [end of John 20:31]

The genuineness of belief is shown by how people live as a result. What kind of “life” are you having? Are you believing (and therefore living) so that “you may have (eternal) life”? Paul made the point to the Colossians that they must “walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.” [Colossians 1:10] How ‘real’ is your belief?
-------
- DC

25 October 2013

2 Chronicles 21; 22
Daniel 3
Acts 1

"… YOU WILL BE BAPTISED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT"

Today we started reading the book of Acts. So many things in it are relevant to our efforts to serve Christ today, but it is important that we read it carefully; regrettably some do not. It begins with a summary of the final days of Jesus before he ascended to heaven “after he had given commands through the Holy Spirit to the Apostles whom he had chosen” [Acts 1:2]; it was a period of 40 days. [Acts 1:3]

We notice how “he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem but to wait for the promise of the father … you will be baptised by the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” [Acts 1:5] To whom was he making this promise? These 12 Apostles were now only 11 because of the tragedy of Judas Iscariot, so Peter says [Acts 1:21-23] they must find a replacement “to take the place of this ministry and apostleship” [Acts 1:26]. To do this they end up casting lots – and the last verse reads “and the lot fell to Matthias and he was numbered with the eleven Apostles.”

When the day came it was just the 12 who were “baptised” in this way As we read a few days ago in John’s Gospel, it was the 12 to whom Jesus promised that the “spirit of truth”, - would come, it would be a “helper … sent to you from the father” [John 15:26; 16:13].

This Spirit, said Jesus, “will guide you into all the Truth.” It “will declare to you things to come” and will “bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” [John 14:26]. It is obvious that this Divine source of help is specially for the twelve, they are to be “baptised” into it by having this power come upon them.

As we read on in Acts 2 we will learn that a “gift” was promised to the converts, but this required the presence of one or more of the disciples for it to be given [Acts 8:14-17]. In today’s chapter we see that the disciples were hoping the kingdom would be established right then [Acts 1:6]; but no, they were to be witnesses, beginning “in Jerusalem … to the end of the earth.” [Acts 1:8]

Only now is this commission being completed and the message is reaching “the end of the earth.” Are you ready for what is to happen after that?
-------
- DC