TFTBR - September 2013

Resource Manager

01 September 2013

2 Kings 6
Lamentations 2
1 Corinthians 15

"HIS GRACE TOWARD ME WAS NOT IN VAIN"

Today we read one of the most meaningful chapters in the Bible, 1 Corinthians 15. Many verses “jump out” inviting our meditation. The one we have chosen to really reflect upon is 1 Corinthians 15:10. Paul laments on his unworthiness, but then says, “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God.”

We hear the word grace used a lot in Christian circles. There are popular hymns about “amazing grace” and how the Lord has “saved a wretch like me.” Careful Bible readers more than anyone else appreciate “the wonder of his grace.” But we need to thoughtfully reflect on the example of Paul and his utter commitment of service to his Lord to see that “his grace toward me was not in vain.”

No one can earn salvation so that they deserve it! We must ask ourselves in accepting “his grace” - ‘What kind of motivation is this creating in my heart? Can it be that for all too many in these “last days” that his grace is taken for granted and it fails to motivate them to live really committed lives, failing to follow the example of Paul?

Let us realize that our commitment is really seen in all the small things we do (or don’t do) every day. Paul urged his companions in this. We will soon read in 2 Corinthians 8 how he “urged Titus that as he had started, so he should complete among you this act of grace.” That “act of grace” was in “taking part in the relief of the saints” who were in “extreme poverty” [2 Corinthians 8:2,4] Paul tells the Corinthians, “… you excel in everything – in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you – see that you excel in this act of grace also.” [2 Corinthians 8:6,7]

Our acceptance of the grace of God should change us - as it did Paul, to show grace toward others in every situation so that our Lord’s grace toward us is “not in vain.” If we have previously been a “wretch” – this change should be extremely evident.

The challenge for most of us is in the many “small things” we do every day. Recall yesterday’s reading in 2 Kings of Naaman being angry he had not been asked to do some great thing to be cured of his leprosy. His grace toward us is not in vain if we constantly do many small things in his service.
-------
- DC

02 September 2013

2 Kings 7
Lamentations 3
1 Corinthians 16

“BEAR THE YOKE IN OUR YOUTH”

The Lamentations of Jeremiah is not a book we “enjoy” reading. But do we only read those things that give a positive message and we find encouraging? Actually there are some gems hidden among this prophet’s words of despair and distress. The first 2 chapters are about how God’s anger with Jerusalem finally overflows into action; his mercy toward the people of His Holy City finally comes to an end, his judgments are poured out. Is our world today going to be a parallel to this? His word is available in all languages – yet is largely ignored – or scoffed at?

The emphasis in just about everything the churches say is that we serve a God of love, that this is the total focus of God’s character. There is little or no thought that his anger could be poured out today on an increasingly godless world. But twice it happened to God’s holy city – Jerusalem; they were terrifying times.

In today’s chapter 3, Jeremiah suddenly expresses his own feelings, his own experience of overwhelming personal despair, “though I call and cry for help, he shuts out my prayer” [Lamentations 3:8] That reminds us of the final words of Jesus on the cross, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?”

Yet in his Lamentations, as with David’s Psalms, what begins with despairing thoughts, gets replaced by more positive ones. See how Jeremiah lifts his mind to a higher plain, “but this I call to mind and therefore I have hope” [Lamentations 3:21]. Then come the words that have been made into a much loved hymn about the mercies of God “they are new every morning: great is your faithfulness” [Lamentations 3:23] Next he writes, The LORD is good to those who wait for him … who seek him” [Lamentations 3:25] Will the Lord have reason to be good to you?

In conclusion, take special note of Lamentations 3:27 … it is good for us to bear the yoke in our youth! Bearing the yoke? If when we are young our lives are easy, there are no problems, no challenges, nothing to make us anxious; it will be hard to develop a good character; worse still, we will have little inclination toward being yoked to Jesus Christ and to carry his cross (meditate on John 15:18-19). It may be the lot of those who are truly yoked to Christ to follow in the footsteps of Jeremiah to some degree.
-------
- DC

03 September 2013

2 Kings 8
Lamentations 4
2 Corinthians 1; 2  

"THAT WAS TO MAKE US RELY ... ON GOD"

What thought challenging verses we had today as we started reading 2nd Corinthians.  Paul writes of his experiences of afflictions and the “comfort” God gives him to cope with them – and yet his comfort is also founded on the comfort believers give to each other.  “The father of mercies,” writes Paul, “comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves have been comforted by God.” [2 Corinthians 1:3-4]

Paul, like Jeremiah, had had frightening experiences – he tells them, “we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself.  Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely, not on ourselves but on God …” [2 Corinthians 1:8-9]

What intense faith challenging experiences Paul had!  But such experiences are – faith building – as a result of passing through them they lead him to, as with all committed believers, to  “draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience” [Hebrews 10:22]

We note how Paul went on to express his convictions of God’s overriding care, “He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us.  On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again.” [2 Corinthians 1:10]  

Then Paul makes a point we must take careful note of – “You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of the many” [2 Corinthians 1:11]

And in praying may it be we can, like Paul, do so with “a clear conscience”  for in the next verse we read, “For our boast is this: the testimony of our conscience that we behaved in the world with simplicity and godly sincerity, not by earthly wisdom but by the grace of God …”

And “by the grace of God” may we all learn to rely not on ourselves but on God”  As this world falls into ever greater disarray and increasing ungodliness that will become even more essential.
-------
- DC

04 September 2013

2 Kings 9
Lamentations 5
2 Corinthians 3; 4  

“BEING RENEWED DAY BY DAY” 

Our readings in 2nd Corinthians again gave us thoughts which are very ‘heart’ provoking.  There is a danger for those (and that is most of us) who are busy earning our living in an environment which has little or no thought about God or Christ, that the attitude around us will start to ‘soak’ into our way of thinking and doing – in view of this the words of Paul today about his total commitment to God and the example this set the Corinthians are very appropriate.

“So that we do not lose heart,” Paul writes, “Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day.” [2 Corinthians 4:16]   Yes, it is a day by day renewal otherwise our hearts can get out of focus, like a camera can: with human nature, a good focus is NOT automatic.    But our daily renewal ‘even if there is “slight momentary affliction” writes Paul, “is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen.  For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.”  

Our daily renewal is essential so that we can see the unseen with greater clarity – with the eye of faith!  What is this “weight of glory”?  It is intriguing that Jesus used the Greek word for “weight” just once!   In the parable about the labourers in the vineyard.   The complaint of those who worked all day was that they had “borne the burden of the day”  

Will glory be a “burden”?  Surely not when immortal powers are possessed – but there will be weighty challenges for those reigning with Christ and who work with him “to decide disputes for many people” [isaiah 2:4] As we witness the impossibility of nations to decide disputes in our days our minds struggle to grasp our potential role in the future. Maybe we can better empathize with the Psalmist who wrote, “I would rather be a doorkeeper in the temple of my God …” [Psalm 84:10].

In contrast to the “slight… affliction” Paul sees the Corinthians experiencing, we have read of the burden of affliction of Jeremiah..  We completed reading his Lamentations today.  Notice his final words, his plea to God.  “Restore us to yourself, O LORD, that we may be restored!   Renew our days as of old – unless you have utterly rejected us …”  We know that God has not rejected his people, the present restoration of the Jews to part of their promised land is a great stimulus to our faith in God’s plan and purpose.  Finally, remember Jeremiah’s words in chapter 3 we quoted 2 days ago, “The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.” Lamentations 3:25]  Let us seek him “day by day” as we wait for Christ’s return.
-------
- DC

05 September 2013

2 Kings 10
Ezekiel 1
2 Corinthians 5; 6; 7

“BRINGING HOLINESS TO COMPLETION”

The 3 chapters (totaling 55 verses) we have in 2nd Corinthians today are quite a challenge to get our minds around and grasp all the passionate points and appeal Paul is making in them. He is concerned about “those who boast about outward appearance and not about what is in the heart” [2 Corinthians 5:12] He tells them, “if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation (or creature: footnote) [2 Corinthians 5:17]

We are either “in Christ” or we are not, there is no half way position – and we prove whether we are in Christ by how we live, our aims in life. Paul starts 2 Corinthians 6 by reminding them (and us) we are “working together with him” therefore we are “not to receive the grace of God in vain:” further we must “not be unequally yoked with unbelievers” [2 Corinthians 6:14] their values and aims in life are, in the end, quite different to what ours should be – sometimes they are totally different.

Today’s chapter in 2 Kings [2 Kings 10] shows how God commended the zeal of Jehu in getting rid of all the worshippers of Baal and destroying their Temple – thus removing their evil influence. Regrettably this was not followed by him fully worshipping the LORD in the right way, see 2 Kings 10:31, yet another lesson for us.

Paul tells the Corinthians that “we are the Temple of the living God; as God has said, ‘I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them …” [2 Corinthians 6:16] Awesome! To think that God, with Christ, “walk among” us! Is this beyond our imagining?

Remarkably, today’s 1st chapter in Ezekiel has a symbolic picture of the all-seeing eyes of God, as a sort of ball, a wheel, “full of eyes all around” [Ezekiel 1:18], the wheel could move in any direction, and therefore could “see” in every direction. The symbol “full of eyes” is repeated in Revelation 4:6.

Paul asks the Corinthians ”what fellowship has light with darkness” [2 Corinthians 6:14] The answer is obvious. But is the ‘light’ too blinding? We cannot dwell in twilight or “the living God” will not “walk among us.”

Finally let us fully absorb into our thinking the end of 2 Corinthians 6 and the start of 2 Corinthians 7. We learn that, when we truly dwell in the light then “‘you shall be sons and daughters to me’, says the Lord Almighty. Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.” May we work hard, with God’s help, in “bringing holiness to completion” – Let us make progress toward doing that today.
-------
- DC

06 September 2013

2 Kings 11; 12
Ezekiel 2
2 Corinthians 8; 9

“WHETHER THEY HEAR OR REFUSE”

Who would be a prophet specially sent by God! We are now reading Ezekiel and we find many similarities in his circumstances to that of Jeremiah. The word of the LORD is not welcome because it does not agree with what the people want to hear.

Ezekiel is among the captives in exile [Ezekiel 1:1-3] and all the exiles want to hear is a message that they are soon going to be able to return to their homeland and the Temple in Jerusalem.

The end of chapter 1 is that Ezekiel has a vision “and I heard a voice speaking.” Our chapter today is about what the voice says; instructions for action! “I send you to the people of Israel, to nations of rebels … And whether they hear or refuse to hear … they will know that a prophet has been among them” [Ezekiel 2:3,5]

Ezekiel is further told, “be not afraid of them, whether they hear or refuse …” [Ezekiel 2:7] God repeats the instructions to Ezekiel for emphasis. This reminds us of the words of Paul to the Corinthians, “…necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! For if I do this of my own will, I will have a reward …” [1 Corinthians 9:16-17]

Is necessity laid upon us? Are we so focused on the kingdom to God and the “house of prayer for all nations” [Mark 11:17] to be built in Jerusalem that we rarely or never speak of God’s message of hope and expectation to others “whether they hear or refuse to hear” Let us do this “of our own will”

There is a human saying that there is no time like the present, but in today’s reading Paul puts it this way after quoting God’s words through Isaiah that “In a favourable time …in a day of salvation I have helped you” Paul says, “Behold now is the favourable time; behold now is the day of salvation.” [2 Corinthians 6:2]

Now is the favourable time for us to decide whether we are on the Lord’s side and live sensing both the help and the responsibility that he provides.
-------
- DC

07 September 2013

2 Kings 13
Ezekiel 3
2 Corinthians 10; 11

“ … PROCLAIMS A DIFFERENT JESUS”

People boast today of everything they can which they hope will add to their prestige. Politicians in particular are very anxious about the image they are creating – what people think of them. It has to be good or they will not get re-elected. We have had a surfeit of this in Australia these last few weeks.

Our chapters in 2nd Corinthians today illustrate that attitudes like this were a problem at Corinth. It is interesting to note Paul’s tactic in writing his second letter; but first, his opening chapters include praise for the improving spirit in the ecclesia so that “in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ we will boast about you” [2 Corinthians 1:14].

Paul’s success in Corinth was creating envy and jealousy among others. We note how those who have only a limited grasp of the spiritual way of thinking show how their minds are dominated by fleshly motivations; this is evident in what they talk about, which amounts to boasting

Paul says that these, “commend themselves … they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding.” [2 Corinthians 10:12] The real seriousness of this type of mind is that it is developed from the way of thinking that led to sin in the Garden of Eden, note how Paul makes this point. [2 Corinthians 11:3]

At Corinth it was causing some to “be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ” Paul says, “if someone comes and proclaims a different Jesus to the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough.” [2 Corinthians 11:3-4]

This can and does happen today, that is why there are so many different churches. Our minds must have a constant input from the mind of God and his Son, through reading and meditation on his word or we will descend to human ways of thinking and boasting – because boasting is what it amounts to. The present generation uses the word “ego.” It is said that having self-esteem is very important and many evangelical churches delight to push this theme, but it is a theme with no basis in God’s word, it undermines the spirit of humility.

The atmosphere at Corinth was in danger of becoming parallel to that in Australia today. We need God’s word IN our thoughts every day to help keep out the fleshly attitudes that surround us. Paul says, don’t you realize Christ is IN you? Those who are baptised need to realize this as fully as they can – as must those who are thinking about baptism.
-------
- DC

08 September 2013

2 Kings 14
Ezekiel 4
2 Corinthians 12; 13

“TO KEEP ME FROM BEING TOO ELATED”

We made reference yesterday to those who boast – how much do we see this attitude in politicians today! We read today in Corinthians of Paul’s comments on the things he could boast about if he wanted to. The final chapters illustrate that boastful attitudes were still a problem at Corinth, they also illustrate that Paul expressed his thankfulness, maybe reluctantly, that “a thorn was given me in a flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being too elated” [2 Corinthians 12:7].

We cannot be sure what this “thorn” was, evidently some disability, many think it was poor eyesight. Turn on 2 or 3 pages and look at the last chapter of Galatians, Paul writes “See with what large letters I am writing to you with my own hand” [Galatians 6:11] which indicates difficulty in writing which would most likely be the affect of poor eyesight.

This handicap, whatever it was, stopped him from being too elated and so he says, “for the sake of Christ then I am content with weaknesses …”

But why is it called “a messenger of Satan”? It is a figure of speech to describe adversity. Satan is a Hebrew word, and many times in the Old Testament it is translated as “adversary” and a particular person is named. Adversity brings out the best in committed disciples – Paul being the supreme example!

In completing this letter he expresses the fear that when I come “I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality and sensuality that they have practiced” [2 Corinthians 12:21] There is the blunt request [2 Corinthians 13:5] “Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves that Jesus Christ is in you” [2 Corinthians 13:9].

The atmosphere at Corinth seems to have been very much like it is in Australia today. We need God’s word to be alive in our thoughts every day as a defence against the fleshly attitudes that surround us.

Paul challenges, don’t you realize ”Christ is in you? Those who are baptised must realize this – every day. We prove that Christ is in us by becoming more and more like our Lord and Master in the way we think and act. To conclude Paul stresses 5 points, “Finally brothers (and sisters), rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another, agree with one another, live in peace” [2 Corinthians 13:11] Let us all do that.
-------
- DC

09 September 2013

2 Kings 15
Ezekiel 5
Luke 1  

“THE NINTH HOUR”        

Today we began reading the Gospel of Luke. A chain reaction in our thoughts was triggered by the dramatic appearance of an angel to Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist.  All the people were “praying without at the hour of incense” Presumably this was the ninth hour: we recall that Peter and John went up into the temple at the ninth hour the hour of prayer [Acts 3:1] Dramatic things sometimes happen when people pray.  As I type this it is 9 am – but it is also the 9th day of the month, a month which is the 9th month of the year.  In this evil world we need times of prayer more than ever,

When Jesus was dying on the cross there was darkness over all the land until the ninth hour when he died [Matthew 27:45] – and we realize that the 9th hour to the Jew was 3 pm. We live in a world in which there is now spiritual darkness as to the meaning of life and the reality of God.  At some point that darkness will be dramatically lifted, but then, those who have not seen the light will find it is too late – the door will be shut as in the parable of Jesus [Matthew 25:10].

Zachariah was struck dumb and mute – he was told his prayer had been heard, but as he did not really believe it was not until 9 months had passed and the babe was born did he get the ability to speak again. Then God used him as a witness that made all the people marvel. [Luke 1:65] and the event was talked about everywhere.

So this chapter is about the drama of God’s intervention in the normal course of events – and the affect it had - the greatest of which is the faith of Mary the mother to be of Jesus and the wonderful words she uttered.  

We are now living at the eleventh hour, and the appeal to us is as when Jesus talks of “the eleventh hour” – let us respond to what he said [Matthew 20:6], for our Master is looking for those who are ready to put their hands to the plough in “the eleventh hour.”  

In contrast there was no one willing to give any thought towards God at the time Ezekiel was writing. We read today, God’s complaint, you: “have not walked in my statutes or obeyed my rule” [Ezekiel 5:7]. In contrast to Ezekiel what a wonderful message Luke has for us for the rest of this month: may we be inspired to obey.
-------
- DC

10 September 2013

2 Kings 16
Ezekiel 6
Luke 2

"THOUGHTS FROM MANY HEARTS ... REVEALED"

The start of our reading in Luke 2 covers one of the events which is often quoted at Christmas time. Most know of the angelic appearance to the shepherds on the hillside and how they came and found the babe in the manger and tell of what they had seen and heard “out in the field .. concerning this child.”

“All who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them.” [Luke 2:17-18] Our thoughts however went particularly to their impact on Mary who “treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart.” Can we imagine Mary’s ponderings?

The Law of Moses required first born children to be taken to Jerusalem for “’every male who first opens the womb shall be called holy to the Lord’ and to offer a sacrifice according to what is said in the Law …” [Luke 2:23-24]

When they do this a man “whose name was Simeon who was righteous and devout” [Luke 2:25] came “and took him up in his arms and blessed God and said, ‘Lord … my eyes have seen your salvation that you have prepared in the presence of all the peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for the glory of your people Israel.’ … his mother marvelled at what was said about him. And Simeon … said to Mary … ‘Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rising of many in Israel” [Luke 2:31-34]

Simeon then adds, “he will be a sign that is opposed … so that the thoughts from many hearts may be revealed.”

The opposition to all that Jesus preached began at the start of his ministry and has continued throughout history – this illustrates the meaning of Simeon’s words. Every human being is challenged as to where they stand in relation to Christ! Are they willing to become related to him? Are they willing to live their lives letting his words influence their thinking and give direction to the course of their lives.

If we ignore Jesus – then he will ignore us when he returns. As we read the Bible it becomes ever more evident to seeking hearts how the words of Jesus and his followers give inspiration and light to their lives as the darkness of this world increases.
-------
- DC

11 September 2013

2 Kings 17
Ezekiel 7
Luke 3  

“DISASTER AFTER DISASTER: BEHOLD IT COMES” 

Our Ezekiel reading [Ezekiel 7]  is initially about the disaster coming on the people still living in Jerusalem.  Ezekiel was a priest and is among those taken into captivity [Ezekiel 1:1] some years before Jerusalem is destroyed. Those taken away are earnestly hoping to return to the land of their birth, but God gives Ezekiel only bad news for them.

Indeed the words he is inspired to write appear to have an application beyond the destruction of Jerusalem at that time – and we know there was a great and terrible destruction, including its’ Temple, after the time of Jesus, which he prophesied and which we will read later this month.  Yet the language of God to Ezekiel is such that we can see a potential application to events in these final days, for more and more are turning their minds away from any belief in a Creator of any kind!  Contemplate God’s attitude here and now and the potential for his actions!

So many are living totally for the moment, for opportunities to follow fleshly desires each day. Note some of the words of the LORD that come to Ezekiel, “Now the end is upon you, I will judge you according to your ways, and I will punish you for all your abominations, my eye will not spare you … I will punish you for your ways … Thus says the Lord GOD; Disaster after disaster! Behold, it comes. An end has come; the end has come …” [Ezekiel 7:3-6]  

This language is so emphatic that we are convinced it has a wider application than the impending news about the fall of Jerusalem and the Temple.  God’s words through Ezekiel are repeated with emphasis in Ezekiel 7:10-11; “Behold it comes! Your doom has come; the rod has budded. Violence has grown up into a rod of wickedness.  None of them shall remain, nor their abundance, nor their wealth …”    The abundance of Jerusalem had already been dissipated by previous conquests, so this is surely looking to more than the immediate situation.

When we came to our Luke reading [Luke 3] we noted in the preaching of John the Baptist words which have also not yet been fulfilled! They are about the work of the Messiah, that “his winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor and to gather his wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.” [Luke 3:17] That has not happened – yet.   Long range prophecies are a feature of God’s word!  What shocks await our world!? God says, “I will punish you for all your abominations  … disaster after disaster, behold it comes.”  

It was 12 years ago TODAY that the massive twin towers collapsed in New York!  How long before tomorrow?  Are you ready for tomorrow?  We will all need “the strength that God supplies” – read 1 Peter 4:7-11.
-------
- DC

12 September 2013

2 Kings 18
Ezekiel 8
Luke 4

“DO NOT LET HEZEKIAH MAKE YOU …”

Our reading in 2 Kings 18 illustrates how those who trust in God are sometimes fully tested to cause them to examine the basis of their trust. It seems clear that deserters from among the defenders of Jerusalem had expressed their reasons for changing sides to the Assyrians. This followed the collapse of their faith in the LORD, their faith was not like that of King Hezekiah. They saw all the physical power of the Assyrians who now surrounded the city.

Maybe they had helped them perfect their Hebrew so that the Assyrian Commander could speak in Hebrew to scoff about the weakness of YHWH, the LORD to the defenders on the walls. The commander said ‘Do you think that mere words are a strategy and power for war? In whom do you now trust, that you have now rebelled against me?” [2 Kings 18:19-20]

It is evident that the deserters had voiced their complaints - for the Commander goes on to say, “if you say to me, ‘We trust in the LORD our God’, is it not he whose high places Hezekiah has removed , saying to Judah and Jerusalem, ‘you shall worship before this altar in Jerusalem?’” [2 Kings 18:22]

The Temple had been built to create one place of worship but many people still preferred to go up to the high places: you can see in India many such ‘high places’ where Hindu gods are worshipped. There is a sort of parallel today with some believers in God creating formulas of words which are not in the Bible and indeed, contradict it - like saying ‘ God is one in three persons.’

The battle of words reached its highest point when the Assyrian “called out in a loud voice in the language of Judah, ‘Hear the word of the great king, the king of Assyria! … ‘Do not let Hezekiah deceive you… Do not let Hezekiah make you trust in the LORD by saying, The LORD will surely deliver us… do not listen to Hezekiah … he misleads you ..” [2 Kings 18:28-32]

Today we are surrounded by those who cast doubt on the foundations of our faith and the reality of the God of the Bible – are they undermining your faith? Tomorrow we will read of the reaction of Hezekiah – and how he strengthens his faith with the help of God’s great prophet Isaiah – a valuable lesson for us.
-------
- DC

13 September 2013

2 Kings 19
Ezekiel 9
Luke 5  

“DEPART FROM ME”  

Peter was an experienced fisherman, that is how he made his living on the Sea of Galilee.  Jesus came along the shore and climbed into Peter’s boat. At first “he sat down and taught the people from the boat” [Luke 5:3] “When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, ‘put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch’  And Simon answered, ‘Master we toiled all night and took nothing!  But at your word I will let down the nets ” [Luke 5:4-5]

We may know this story well, but imagine yourself to be Simon.  He would have used all his experience through the night to try and find some fish; he would have wondered at his Lord’s command to let down the nets, it was probably at least the middle of the day after the preaching from the boat.

What happened?  “… and they enclosed a large number of fish and their nets were breaking . They signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink.” [Luke 5:6-7]  What would you be thinking at that moment?

We read “when Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, ‘Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.”  Naturally, “all who were with him were astonished.”   Peter in particular saw himself as unworthy of association with Christ.  This had far greater impact than earlier when Jesus was “entering Simon’s house” when his “mother-in-law was ill with a high fever, and they appealed to him on her behalf.  And he stood over her and rebuked the fever , and it left her, and immediately she rose and began to serve them’ [Luke 4:38-39]

Peter was now in utter awe of Jesus, he was acutely aware of his own unworthiness.   The more we reflect on this – the more we should reflect on our own unworthiness before Christ.  James, in his letter was trying to drive this point home to the believers, “Listen my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?  But you have …” [James 2:5-6]

What is the nature of that love?  How total is it?  My love?  Your love?  Our love?  After the miracle of the fish Simon and the others were afraid, but Jesus said, “Do not be afraid, from now on you will be catching men” [Luke 5:10] This caused a final thought – “catching” the hearts and minds of people today is now proving to be very hard – at least in the “western” world it is.  But there was an occasion when Jesus said to “cast the net on the right side of the boat” [John 21:6] to catch fish – and they did. And there are impoverished countries today, like Bangladesh, where spiritual fishing is much more successful.  Sadly the labourers are few – what about you?
-------
- DC

14 September 2013

2 Kings 20
Ezekiel 10
Luke 6

“… KNOWN BY ITS OWN FRUIT”

Our chapter in Luke today [Luke 6] is parallel with the ‘Sermon on the Mount’ chapters [Matthew 5; 6; 7] in Matthew: in a sense it is a summary of them - highlighting many of its key lessons.

We are all trees, growing in different parts of God’s garden, the owner is looking to see what quality of fruit, if any, is growing on us. The owner is kind. It is not his will that he should chop any trees down; Peter later wrote that he “is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.” [2 Peter 3:9]. The fruit, essentially, is whether a godly attitude of mind develops in us – such a mind cannot help but produce fruit in whatever circumstances in which it is growing.

The growth of the fruit is also prompted by how well we ‘see’ God and with what ‘vision’ of sight we possess of the meaning of life as we go along our particular pathway – of whatever kind that is – difficult – or not so difficult – in rocky hill country or something less so. We must not count the cost of what we do, or expect rewards in this life. In a few days we will come to Luke 14:14 where Jesus makes the point, “You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just.”

How well are we developing a Christ-like mind? Verses 43-45 summarize an essential part of our Master’s teaching: “For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit, for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thorn bushes, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.” [Luke 6:43-45]

The Master knows us – everyone – he knows the fruit that has developed or is developing on the tree of each life, for says Jesus, “Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man (or woman) building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on a rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built.” [Luke 6:47-48] There is little doubt that floods are coming, let us get our fruit to ripen, and check our foundations.
-------
- DC

15 September 2013

2 Kings 21
Ezekiel 11
Luke 7

“I KNOW THE THINGS THAT COME INTO YOUR MIND”

Our reading in Ezekiel causes us to think about how God works; the unlimited power he has to know all that is happening; more than that, to know all that men and women are thinking! And of course Jesus had the same ability; if you were not on the side of Jesus it must have been unnerving as you were forced to sense this as is evident in our reading of Luke 7 today.

In today’s Ezekiel reading [Ezekiel 11] we read [Ezekiel 11:5] how the spirit of the LORD fell on him and he is told to say “Thus says the LORD: So you think O house of Israel, for I know the things that come into your mind.” Again in Ezekiel 11:8, “You have feared the sword, and I will bring the sword upon you.” God knows our attitudes; he looks into our hearts to see if the faith we profess is genuine – recall Hebrews 10:22 “Let us draw near with a true heart , in full assurance of faith.”

Ezekiel becomes very distressed at the revelation of God’s horrific judgements that are about to come on Israel and he falls on his face saying [Ezekiel 11:13] “Ah Lord GOD! Will you make a full end of the remnant of Israel?” God responds to that plea by saying three things.

The first stage is to be [Ezekiel 11:16] “a sanctuary to them, for a while, in the countries where they had gone.” We conclude this predicts the synagogue system that developed in the centuries that followed and was in full operation at the time of Christ. The synagogues were the first base in the preaching of Paul and others in spreading the gospel message.

The second stage is to be seen now for in Ezekiel 11:17 we read, “I will gather you from the peoples and assemble you out of the countries.” That is far more than just Babylonia.

The third stage is still future – but how close are we to it? “I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them.” [Ezekiel 11:19] We long for this to be fulfilled, but we must take careful note of the warning in Ezekiel 11:21 “But as for those whose heart goes after detestable things … I will bring their deeds upon their own heads.”

But this is true of all humans, not just the Jews! Could it be true of any one of us? Remember God says, “I know the things that come into your mind”
-------
- DC

16 September 2008

2 Kings 22; 23
Ezekiel 12
Luke 8  

"WHERE IS YOUR FAITH?"                                                                                                                    

What do we have faith in today? Certainly not the Government – of whatever kind it may be! Our doctor?  It is good to find one we can have a good deal of confidence in – especially if our health is uncertain. While we can speak of having faith in people or things, we know that this is vastly different to having “a true heart in full assurance of faith.” [Hebrews 10:22]  Notice how it all starts with “a true heart.”

Our readings yesterday and today, [Luke 7; 8] mention 3 people Jesus commended for possessing faith.   But there was a fourth mention which caught our eye today, it is the question to his disciples, “Where is your faith?” [Luke 8:35]   Jesus is asleep in the boat, “a  windstorm came down on the lake and they were filling with water and were in danger” [Luke 8:23] In a panic the disciples wake him, “Master, Master, we are perishing” At his command “the wind and the raging waves … ceased … He said to them, “Where is your faith.”  

They had witnessed many miracles, we read yesterday for example, that he stopped a funeral procession and brought a widow’s only son back to life.  How fickle we humans can be, we who say we have faith!  But we can sympathize with the disciples, their training in serving Christ was not yet complete; how complete is ours?  

We reflected on this situation with the storm on the lake.  We will soon read (in Luke 21) the prediction of Jesus that one day there will be “on the earth distress of nations because of the roaring of the sea and the waves, people fainting with fear and foreboding …” [Luke 21:25-26] This may well be both a “roaring of the sea” in a literal sense following the prophesied “great earthquake” - linked with Armageddon [Revelation 16:16-18] – but the “distress of nations” will almost certainly have many other causes. Will those experiencing this hear the words of Jesus “Where is your faith?” There are words some of us sing –

The rough winds may wrestle –
Our God will perform
With Christ in the vessel
We smile at the storm - Will we?
-------
- DC

17 September 2013

2 Kings 24; 25
Ezekiel 13
Luke 9

“… PUTTING TO DEATH SOULS”

One of the puzzling things in Scripture for many people are the references to the death of “souls.” We have this in our Ezekiel reading today [Ezekiel 13] where the prophet writes, “The word of the LORD came to me” to speak against “those who prophesy from their own minds” [Ezekiel 13:1-2]. They are challenged by the LORD, “Will you hunt down souls belonging to my people and keep your own souls alive. You have profaned me … putting to death souls who should not die and keeping alive souls who should not live, by your lying to people, who listen to lies.” [Ezekiel 13:18-19]

Those who have the idea that “soul” means some inner part of us that lives on somewhere (up there or down there!) after the body dies misunderstand God’s word; long ago the thinking of non-Christians was adopted by some – it arose in R.C. theology long after the time of Christ.. When we come to Ezekiel 18 we will see God’s blunt statement, “the soul who sins shall die” [Ezekiel 18:4 and again Ezekiel 18:18] A ‘soul’ is not part of a person, it is the person, the phrase ‘immortal soul’ is not to be found anywhere in the Bible

Our chapter in Luke’s gospel today [Luke 9] helps us to reach a true understanding if we have any doubts on this. Jesus “called the twelve …and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal” [Luke 9:2] Later “the crowds …. followed him and he spoke to them of the kingdom of God and cured those who had need of healing” [Luke 9:11].

Jesus is “rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes” [Luke 9:21] and eventually killed at their instigation. They had their minds set on their position and prestige in this life! But Jesus asked, “what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses of forfeits himself? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and the holy angels,” [Luke 9:25-26] That will be the time of reward or punishment, then will be the resurrection. The true hope of life after death will become very clear when we come to Luke 20:35-36.

The chapter ends with Jesus responding to someone who said, “I will follow you where-ever you go” [Luke 9:57] But it is clear from the answer of Jesus that following him has to mean you give priority to the work of Jesus – the chapter ends by Jesus saying, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.” Will you be fit for the kingdom of God? Nowhere does it say anything about being fit for a place in heaven! In Matthew’s gospel the phrase “kingdom of heaven” occurs – that is, a heavenly kingdom – on earth. Remember the words in ‘The Lord’s prayer’ “your Kingdom come, your will be done on earth.” [Matthew 6:10] When you use the Lord’s prayer in your prayers be conscious of what you are praying about.

--------
- DC

18 September 2013

1 Chronicles 1
Ezekiel 14
Luke 10

“WITH ALL YOUR HEART”

The scriptures make it plain that the condition of our hearts matters most of all. Jesus gave a very significant answer to “a lawyer (who) stood up to put him to the test, saying, “What shall I do to inherit eternal life?” [Luke 10:25] Jesus answered his question with a question; ”What is written in the Law? How do you read it? And he answered, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind and your neighbour as yourself” [Luke 10:27]

Jesus commended him for his answer, but we should note that his answer came not from the initial law that Moses gave after being on the mount, but from the final exhortation Moses gave to the people before his death! (see Deuteronomy 6:5; 10:12; 30:6) It is also valuable to note that in the parallel passage about this in Matthew 19:16-22, we learn that there was one thing the young lawyer loved that undermined his awareness of the need for a correctly focused attitude of “love” - it was that he had “great possessions” – and he loved those too.

So it is the affect that loving God has – on all your other attitudes, the other things you love, that matters. Now this was a contrast to the ‘cold’ feelings of the religious men who were jealous of Jesus . The lament of God recorded by the Psalmist comes to mind, “But my people did not listen to my voice; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts …” [Psalm 81:11-12]

We noted the fleshly feelings that the LORD told Ezekiel to condemn, for today’s chapter [Ezekiel 14] starts, “Then certain of the elders of Israel came to me … and the word of the LORD came to me, ‘Son of man, these men have taken their idols into their hearts…. Should I indeed let myself be consulted by them? … say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: Any one of the house of Israel who takes his idols into his heart … and yet comes to the prophet, I the LORD will answer him … that I may lay hold of the hearts of the house of Israel, who are estranged from me through their idols.” [Ezekiel 14:1-5]

God further says through Ezekiel, “For anyone … who separates himself from me, by taking his idols into his heart … and yet comes to a prophet to consult me … I will set my face against that man (or woman) …” [Ezekiel 14:7-8] We meditated on this – we come to God’s word and read it for what reason, in what spirit of mind? Is not this parallel to a person coming to a prophet in those days – if their heart has the wrong attitude – God will set his face against them – and us.

Finally, taking our thoughts back to the lawyer – Jesus told him he had “answered correctly; this do and you will live” [Luke 10:28] - so let us - “this do” - and serve our Lord with all our heart.
-------
- DC

19 September 2013

1 Chronicles 2
Ezekiel 15
Luke 11  

"BLESSED RATHER ARE THOSE WHO ..."

We live in a world in which people more than ever focus on physical possessions and experiences, they inter-act between themselves in all that they and others experience but, says Jesus, these are not the things that matter.

We will read in Luke’s gospel tomorrow – his comment that, “one’s life does not consist in the abundance of (our) possessions” [Luke 12:15]   Today’s chapter [Luke 11] contains quite a number of sayings by Jesus which challenge our understanding; one is a parable [Luke 11:24-26] about an “unclean spirit” which, when it has “gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, and finding none it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when it comes, it finds the house swept and put in order.  Then it goes and brings seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there.”   Then Jesus gives the lesson the parable is teaching, he says “and the last state of that person is worse than the first”  

So Jesus is making a point about the human state of mind – what “possesses” the mind – the need to get rid of bad attitudes. In Luke 9 we read the comment of Jesus’ disciples James and John (aptly named ‘sons of thunder – Mark 3:17) who, when a Samaritan village did not provide for them, said “Lord, do you want us to tell fire to come down from heaven and consume them? But he (Jesus) turned and rebuked them, you do not know what manner of spirit you are of..” [Luke 9:52-55]  At the beginning of the chapter we read how Jesus had sent out “the twelve and gave them power …”  But now, in this situation, their spirit, that is, their attitude of mind, was wrong.

So the lesson of the parable is that in getting rid of bad ways of thinking it is essential we put good ways of thinking in their place and not leave “the house” of our mind empty. Now back in today’s chapter, the next verse [Luke 11:27] contains a very significant point. “As he said these things, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him. ‘Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!’

This shows the woman’s mind was focussed on physical things- but there was no lasting value in that!  We can see in history the meaningless worship of the Virgin Mary for which God’s word gives no warrant at all – she is dead and buried and awaits the resurrection like all other worthies who have served the Almighty; as we read in Hebrews of those who do God’s will, “These all died in faith, not have received the things promised, but having seen than and greeted them from afar …” [Luke 11:13]

Finally, notice how Jesus responded to the woman who made this comment!  His answer is most significant!  He said, “blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”    And, wonderfully, we can read it whenever we want to!   But maybe we have a “spirit” in our house that hinders this?  Let us be blessed through the word of God and “keep” in our house what we read so that our minds are dominated by a right spirit.
-------
- DC

20 September 2013

1 Chronicles 3
Ezekiel 16
Luke 12  

"BLESSED ARE THOSE ... WHOM THE MASTER FINDS AWAKE"

We have a ‘powerful’ chapter in Luke today [Luke 12] – it provokes many challenging thoughts. The text is made up almost entirely of the words of Jesus.  It deserves to be read slowly, section by section.  When Jesus ascended to heaven he knew that those who believed in him, and those who came to believe, would face an increasingly difficult time – leading up to the destruction of Jerusalem 40 years later.

Absolute faith in the Lord’s oversight of their lives was going to be essential. And it is the same today! Jesus encourages and warns at the same time, “I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will acknowledge before the angels of God, but the one who denies me before men will be denied before the angels of God.” [Luke 12:8-9]

Today we are surrounded by those who deny that a Creator exists, they deny there was a spirit power of God through which everything came into being in the first place.  Imagine how the Creator must feel!  What wilful blindness!  We are challenged by Jesus’ words, “The one who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.” [Luke 12:10]

In the opening verses of the Bible we read “In the beginning God created … and the spirit of God was hovering (or moving) over the face of the waters  … And God said, ‘Let there be …” and so his creation began, Let us be awake to God in action – past and future.

One way Jesus describes the first stage of our future - if we are “awake” – is that there will be “a wedding feast.” [Luke 12:36] and his servants must be ready to “open the door to him when he comes and knocks. Blessed are those servants whom the master finds awake when he comes.” [Luke 12:36-37]  

He completed the parable by saying, “If he comes in the second watch, or in the third, and finds them awake, blessed are those servants … You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.” [Luke 12:38,40]   We are surely in the final watch of the night now. Today the darkness that rests upon human minds is really great.  The foolishness of human thinking today, their blasphemy against God’s creative spirit must not affect  us. The religious leaders around Jesus were blind, denying his spirit powers, he warned that if, “the light in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!” [Matthew 6:23]  Let us make sure we have “the true light” [John 1:9] for all around us is in great darkness.

In the Garden of Gethsemane the disciples struggled to stay awake, let us heed the words of Jesus to them, “Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation.” [Matthew 26:41]  
-------
- DC

21 September 2013

1 Chronicles 4
Ezekiel 17
Luke 13; 14

"SALT IS GOOD"

There are many parables and challenging sayings in today’s 2 chapters in Luke’s gospel. Jesus’ utterance of just 3 words are very thought provoking: “Salt is good” [Luke 14:34]

This immediately reminds us of what Jesus said in his ‘Sermon on the Mount’ after what we call the ‘Beatitudes’ Look at Matthew 5:13, - he said “You are the salt of the earth” to illustrate the role his genuine followers; were to have, to talk and live and act so as to become a good influence on those around them. How successful are we in doing that?

In the passage in Luke, Jesus then adds, “but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is of no use either for the soil or for the manure pile. It is thrown away.” So if we are not having an influence in adding a beneficial flavour to the lives around us how can we expect to have a place in God’s kingdom and serve him there as the world as a whole at last learns righteousness, (see Isaiah 26:9)

How many are there today that Jesus would see as “salt”? In Luke 13 we saw the response when someone asked Jesus, “Lord, will those who are saved be few? [Luke 13:23] This question caused him to tell a parable about “the narrow door” and how vital it is to “strive to enter” through it. The Master bluntly says, “For many I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.” He then adds many will “begin to stand outside and to knock on the door, saying, ‘Lord, open to us,’ then he will answer them, ‘I do not know where you come from.” [Luke 13:25]

Jesus would be aware of the lesson of Noah in the ark, and how “the LORD shut him in” [Genesis 7:16] Noah did not close the door! We can imagine the scene as the rain poured down and the floods grew – what would be the mood among the scoffers then!

His parable continues - those knocking at the door will say to him, “We ate and drank in your presence and you taught in our streets” [Luke 13:26] and some/many of later generations may well say, ‘we owned a Bible and read it sometimes’ But he will say, “I do not know where you come from” – he cannot see any “salt” in them!

Let us make sure we are good salt!
-------
- DC

22 September 2013

1 Chronicles 5
Ezekiel 18
Luke 15

"WAS DEAD AND IS ALIVE"

Today we read one of the most remembered parables of Jesus. It is usually called the ‘parable of the prodigal son,’ but it occurs to us that it could equally be called ‘The parable of the forgiving father.’ The key to the primary purpose of Christ’s parables is usually in their final verse, in this one we read the father’s words, “It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.” [Luke 15:32]

The wonder of the father’s forgiveness is most fully brought out in the part that tells us that when the wayward son decides to return home and starts on his journey, “while he was still a long way off his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.” [Luke 15:20]

Such is the son’s contrition he protests his unworthiness, he had just wanted to return and be like “a hired servant.” The father’s celebration continues, he “said to his servants, ‘Bring quickly the best robe … bring the fattened calf … let us eat and celebrate. For this my son was dead, and is alive again, he was lost …” [Luke 15:22-23].

We are only truly alive when we are with Christ! How great the Father’s love for those who commit their lives to him ­ and show this through baptism. We meditate on what Peter wrote, “I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder … the Lord is not slow to fulfil his promise as some men count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.” [2 Peter 3:1,9]

The context is saying that the Lord is not willing that any of you should perish. As in his parable, he is on the lookout for lost and straying sheep and goes to great lengths to find them.

He helps his sheep to overcome the world. In Revelation Jesus says, “The one who conquers ( i.e. overcomes) will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life.” [Revelation 3:5] There are more attractions and distractions than ever in our extremely godless world, enticing sheep to stray; there is also increasing “hatred” in the world of anything that threatens to prick their conscience.

How true the words of Jesus are likely to become, “you will be hated by all … but the one who endures to the end will be saved.” [Matthew 10:22] Let us endure, let us be truly “alive.”
-------
- DC

23 September 2013

1 Chronicles 6
Ezekiel 19
Luke 16

“YOU CANNOT SERVE GOD AND …”

In the end, our purpose in life comes down to one of two things. Jesus sums it all up in today’s reading in Luke. “No servant can serve two masters … he will be devoted to the one and despise the other” He ends by bluntly saying, “You cannot serve God and money” [Luke 16:13] What is it to “serve” money?

This is not the most common Greek word for ‘serve’, in Acts, Luke only uses the word in Acts 20:19 when he quoted Paul’s words to the Ephesian elders (and Luke was with him at the time), he told them, “You yourselves know how I lived …. serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials … I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable …” This was serving indeed!

In writing to the Romans about issues over the law of Moses Paul says, “but now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so now we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit.” [Romans 7:6] But the commitment involved in serving is parallel; it is the same! Most interesting is the fact that the one place where John used the Greek word in his gospel [John 8:33] it is translated as “enslaved”!

Those Jesus sees as serving money he sees as being enslaved to it. It is the ‘be all’ and ‘end all’ of their thinking. Today, it is a matter of the things money can ‘buy,’ the pleasure and pride of owning the best of everything, of taking fabulous holidays, etc., with a token gesture toward others to ease their conscience, even fitting in a visit to church.

Those who serve God, see how temporary and misleading are the rewards of serving money. People who decide to serve God have a “bigger mind”, i.e. a bigger vision of thought. That famous chapter of Hebrews 11 selects the example of Moses when, surrounded by wealth as the adopted grandson of Pharaoh, “choosing to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt” [Hebrews 11:25-26]

What do we consider to be of greater wealth today? Less and less would make Christ their choice. Some, foolishly, try to have it both ways. If we are “lukewarm” - as with Laodicea, let us remember the message of Jesus to them - read Revelation 3:15-16.
-------
- DC

24 September 2013

1 Chronicles 7
Ezekiel 20
Luke 17

"SO IT WILL BE ON THE DAY WHEN ..."

One cannot escape from the obvious meaning of the words of Jesus about what happens at the time of his return to earth. It is a time when human beings have, from God’s point of view, totally given themselves over to godlessness. Today’s chapter in Luke [Luke 17] indicates that before our Master’s return there will be those who mislead, claiming to know when he will return, “they will say to you, ‘Look, there! or ‘Look here’” …” but he “is not coming with signs to be observed.” [Luke 17:23, 20] What does that mean?

Jesus makes it absolutely clear that when he does come it will be sudden and absolutely clear that God is intervening in life on earth, “for as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky! From one side to the other; so will the Son of Man be in his day.” [Luke 17:24]

Our Master draws parallels with the saving of Noah and those with him [Luke 17:26-27] then the circumstances with Lot are described – that his return will be similarly sudden. Jesus says, “just as it was in the days of Lot – they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, but on the day when Lot went from Sodom … so will it be on the day when the Son of Man is revealed.” [Luke 17:28-30] Lot’s day was obviously a literal day!

We remember when we were teenagers, the nation of Israel declared itself in existence without the physical support of any other nation; the nations around were sure they could destroy it, their armies surged in – and dismally failed – it was miraculous. For the next 25 years (1948-73) they tried again and again – and failed again and again: all the time we thought Christ’s return could be imminent. Then the Soviet Union collapsed in 1990 – and expectations faded. Now in 2012/13 the enemies around Israel are in total disarray. But the conditions all over the world are more like the days of Noah and Lot than ever! But, remember what we read last Friday in Luke 12; “You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.” [Luke 12:40]
-------
- DC

25 September 2013

1 Chronicles 8
Ezekiel 21
Luke 18  

“ALWAYS PRAY AND NOT LOSE HEART”                                                          

In this parable, at the start of Luke 18, Jesus illustrates the importance of persistence in prayer.  We must become increasingly conscious that God’s power is such that he sees and knows all.  David puts it this way, “O LORD … you discern my thoughts from afar.” [Psalm 139:2]. This parable challenges us to consider answers to prayer.   Do we pray seeking to know God’s will for us, or are we only thinking and praying about our own needs?  

Early this month we read of the traumas in Paul’s life.  How urgent his prayers must have been in the many difficult situations he endured, but his Lord led him through them all.  Soon we will read of Jesus, in earnest prayer to His Father: he does not get the answer he seeks, but the Father’s will must be done. [Luke 22:41-42]

Our way of thinking might cause us to wonder why the Lord led Paul into all his difficulties; but then we look at the outcome and realize that this causes faith to grow. So in this parable we see the woman’s faith was, in the end, rewarded.  The ‘punch line’ at the end of the parable is that we should “always pray and not lose heart” [Luke 18:7]  

The climax is a question [Luke 18:8], “when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”  Will he find those who really know the value of prayer, who pray to the uttermost for a faith that grows. Faith of this calibre will enable us to cope with all situations as this world is falling apart. We must strive to be among those who do not lose heart?

Look at the next parable; it is about two different types of men who went into the Temple to pray.  One was telling the Almighty what he did, but of the one whose prayer was heard, Jesus says, he “went down to his house justified,” and makes the point, “the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” [Luke 18:14].   Yes, we ought always to pray – in humility of spirit - even more as we see scripture telling us our Master’s return will be at an hour he is not expected – all the more reason for us to be among “his elect who cry to him day and night” [Luke 18:7].
-------
- DC