TFTBR - August 2013

Resource Manager

01 August 2013

2 Samuel 18
Jeremiah 22
Romans 9

“GOD … ENDURED WITH MUCH PATIENCE”

There is a complete change of theme today in Paul’s letter to the Romans compared to what we read yesterday. In Romans 9; 10; 11 his thoughts are on Israel: he had formerly been proud of being an Israelite, the chosen nation. The main point he makes in these chapters is that he now sees that everything depends on God’s mercy. Israel, although the chosen nation – is to experience God’s wrath. Although the Gentiles (non-Jews) are now, in a sense, chosen, the underlying foundation fact is that God is calling individuals and each one will depend on God’s “mercy.’

Of course, this has always been the foundation principle in God’s calling; Paul writes, “For he says to Moses, ‘I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion. So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God who has mercy.” [Romans 9:15-16]

No one can ‘earn’ salvation. Our lives are a training period – it is surprising to read that it even was for Jesus! The point is made in the letter to the Hebrews, “Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered.” [Hebrews 5:8] We follow in his footsteps. We also, as we read on Tuesday, should “walk in the footsteps of the faith that … Abraham had …” [Romans 4:12]

Now ,we must take note of Paul’s point and his question, “What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known …” [Romans 9:22-23] To make known what?

Before we quote his answer, let us appreciate the patience of God in not yet acting to punish the world for its ungodliness. One of the hidden sevens in the Book of Revelation is that this word ‘patience’ occurs 7 times. And what does God’s ‘patience’ make known? Romans 9:23 continues, “… to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he prepared beforehand for glory. – even us whom he has called.”

Let us more fully respond to his calling, these are the only “riches” in our lives worth having – indeed, it is essential that we have them, otherwise we will not be among the “us” he is calling to experience the incredible “riches of his glory.”
-------
- DC

02 August 2013

2 Samuel 19
Jeremiah 23
Romans 10; 11

“IN THE LATTER DAYS”

A multitude of thoughts tended to tumble around and out of our minds as we read today’s chapters. Verse 20 in Jeremiah 23 was one that particularly captured our attention: “The anger of the LORD will not turn back until he has executed and accomplished the intents of his heart. In the latter days you will understand it clearly.” And we are understanding more and more clearly, but we must admit there are limitations, we must be faithful to what is written and discern what time they apply to.

There were ‘prophets’ trying to compete with Jeremiah and the LORD says through him, “I did not send the prophets, yet they ran; I did not speak to them, yet they prophesied. But if they had stood in my council, then they would have proclaimed my words to my people …” [Jeremiah 23:21-22] And so today, there are those who ‘prophecy’ but “do not stand” in God’s “council”. This is only reliably found when one carefully reads and compares the words that God has preserved for us, and we are careful of the context in which they occur.

The book of Jeremiah is quite a challenge in this regard – but we will soon encounter words God gave him which are clearly applicable to “the latter days.”

In Paul’s words to the Romans today he writes of the Jews being “broken off” [Romans 11:17] so that the Gentiles as branches “ cut from what is by nature a wild olive tree” [Romans 11:24] might be grafted in. Paul is primarily writing to those who have been grafted in.

But note the warning Paul gives to the Gentile believers, “lest you be wise in your own conceits” he says, “I want you to understand this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in” [Romans 11:25] We must ask, is the salvation of true believers from among the Gentiles just about complete?

Is there an awakening among the natural branches? There are signs of this – we have recently been to the Jewish Messianic Synagogue in Melbourne and mingled among some 50 Jews who accept Jesus as their Messiah. Truly we are living “in the latter days” and the “fullness of the Gentiles’ is just about complete. The word “fullness” is not in common use, the same Greek word is translated as “fulfilling” in Romans 13:10, it has the sense of completion.

We must admit the limits to our understanding, but as we survey the marvel of the works of God in history down to the present – then we can echo the words of Paul in Romans 11:33, “Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!”
-------
- DC

03 August 2013

2 Samuel 20; 21
Jeremiah 24
Romans 12  

“LET LOVE BE GENUINE”

Today we have that marvelous chapter in Romans (12) in which Paul lists all the good attitudes that those who claim to be believers need to have in order to show they are really committed believers.  It is good to read diligently so that we correctly understand the word of God – but it is vital that, on the other side of the coin as it were, we develop a character that becomes more and more like the character of Christ.

Paul tells the believers in Rome to “be transformed by the renewal of your mind.”  If our ways of thinking and therefore our character have been really affected by the values and attitudes in today’s godless world - how vital that we work hard on achieving a personal transformation and “… discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect” [Romans 12:2]

Our daily reading of his word lays the foundation for this.  “I say to everyone” writes Paul, “not to think of him(her)self more highly than he ought to think” [Romans 12:3].  He tells them, “”Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.  Love one another with brotherly affection.  Outdo one another in showing honour. Do not be slothful in zeal …” [Romans 12:9-11]

We can read through this advice too quickly and easily.  In the spirit that exists in the world today - how great is the need to “hold fast” and be “patient in tribulation.”  What is essential in doing this, is to “ be constant in prayer” [Romans 12:12]

What a challenge Romans 12:14 is!  “Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them … repay no one evil for evil … never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God.” [Romans 12:14,17,19]

The chapter concludes, “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” – and an absolutely essential part of this is to “let love be genuine,” remembering the point Jesus made, “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven.” [Matthew 5:44-45]
-------
- DC

04 August 2013

2 Samuel 22
Jeremiah 25
Romans 13; 14

"DISASTER IS GOING FORTH FROM NATION TO NATION"

Today’s chapter in Jeremiah is very disturbing. The prophet receives visions from God of future events, some of them are of a future that was then far distant.

The main message he is to give is that God’s judgements are about to fall on Jerusalem and that “this whole land shall become a ruin and waste and these nations shall serve the king of Babylon seventy years” [Jeremiah 25:11] Many years later Daniel, in Babylon in his old age, “perceived in the books” that God had revealed to Jeremiah that they would be in captivity 70 years [Daniel 9:2].

Let’s consider the traumatic history of the Jews, they are the people to whom God’s prophets came with divine messages; in Jeremiah’s day they had experienced the glory of the Temple Solomon built for almost 400 years, also many other blessings such as we have read in what David accomplished. Greatest of all was to come when God’s Son came and did wonders in their midst.

Remember how Jesus, at the end of one of his parables said, “Every one to whom much was given, much will be required” [Luke 12:48]. There is a Godly principle here: the failure to appreciate and respond to blessings, especially the blessings of hearing and knowing God’s word will ultimately bring judgments from God.

We read on in Jeremiah, “Thus says the LORD of hosts … I begin to work disaster at the city that is called by my name, and shall you go unpunished? (he is addressing other nations) You shall not go unpunished, for I am summoning a sword against all the inhabitants of the earth … for the LORD has an indictment against all the nations; he is entering into judgment with all flesh and the wicked will be put to the sword … Behold, disaster is going forth from nation to nation and a great tempest is stirring from the farthest parts of the earth! [Jeremiah 25:28,29,31,32]

We note how Jeremiah 30 concludes with the words, “The fierce anger of the LORD will not turn back until he has executed and accomplished the intentions of his mind. In the latter days you will understand this.” Jeremiah 30:24 Those who understand must make sure they are on the Lord’s side and develop the godly character we saw described in Romans 12 yesterday.
-------
- DC

05 August 2013

2 Samuel 23
Jeremiah 26
Romans 15; 16

"THE SWEET PSALMIST OF ISRAEL"

The above phrase occurs in the first verse of our 2 Samuel 23 reading today. It has often been quoted about David that he is “the anointed of the God of Jacob, the sweet Psalmist of Israel”. Although there are many Psalms not written by him, he laid the foundation for the hymns that were sung in the Temple that Solomon built. David, as well as collecting vast quantities of material that was used in the construction of the Temple was also inspired to prepare its initial spiritual content.

The Psalms, together with the Proverbs of his son Solomon, have in centuries past been the first parts of the Old Testament to be translated and printed. Until printing was invented, there is evidence of some Psalms being committed to memory; indeed there are accounts of individuals in the First Century who could recite all the Psalms from memory.

We are the poorer – spiritually – these days for our total reliance on reading books and now, most recently on electronic devices – we need to make more effort to put some of what we read into the memory bank of our brains.

In today’s chapter David says, “The Spirit of the LORD speaks by me; his word is on my tongue.” [2 Samuel 23:2] He uses a wonderful illustration that “The God of Israel has spoken … he dawns on them like the morning light, like the sun shining forth on a cloudless morning, like rain that makes grass to sprout from the earth.” [2 Samuel 23:3-4] God’s words are like rain, they are essential for our spiritual growth – together with the son’s rays our mind’s go from strength to strength. Is your mind regularly watered? Make sure it is.

Our grass lawns soon show when they are not watered by rain or by the use of our hose! But we are not so immediately conscious when our minds are lacking spiritual water. David marvels that God “has made with me an everlasting covenant ordered in all things and secure. For will he not cause to prosper all my help and my desire?” [2 Samuel 23:5] The answer is obviously – YES! Let us make sure that God, because of our reading and positive meditation on His word, and work in his garden, is with us to be ‘all our help and desire’ and will fulfil the covenant we have entered into in taken on the name of His Son.
-------
- DC

06 August 2013

2 Samuel 24
Jeremiah 27
Mark 1

"A NEW TEACHING WITH AUTHORITY"

Today we start reading the Gospel of Mark. It is accepted that Mark’s Gospel was the first one to be written. It is probable, but cannot be absolutely proved, that he is the ‘Mark’ referred to 4 time in the Acts, named as John Mark in Acts 12:12. He starts his gospel by telling us of John the Baptist and how this fulfilled the prophecies of a “messenger … who will prepare your way, the voice of one crying in the wilderness” [Mark 1:2-3] The words quoted are found in Malachi and Isaiah.

Mark’s Gospel is the shortest, he gets straight to the point, “The time is fulfilled and the Kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the Gospel.” [Mark 1:15] The king of the kingdom is there and if they had accepted him the kingdom would have become a reality - but it was not to be – not yet. It is reasonable to believe his gospel was written and had some circulation before Jerusalem fell 40 years later.

In God’s foresight of human reactions and resultant actions, God’s plan of salvation would extend to the Gentiles, all nations, as we have just been reading in Romans 9; 10; 11 – which shows that at the end the Jews would discover Jesus was their Messiah and they would “be grafted back into their own olive tree.”

Today’s chapter shows us that those who taught, as the leaders’ were then doing, spoke in a way that was designed to extol their own self-importance – and as a result it was unconvincing, just as today. How few teachers of the gospel get to the heart of the message, many preach little more than the second commandment - “love your neighbour as yourself.”

Jesus performed miracles and these attracted masses of people to listen and as a result “they were all amazed, so that they questioned among themselves, saying, ‘What is this? A new teaching with authority!” [Mark 1:27] The chapter ends by telling us there was so much talk about him “that Jesus could no longer openly enter a town, but was out in desolate places, and people were coming to him from every quarter.”

But when Jesus began to teach in detail many lost interest, they had loved the loaves and the fishes and seeing the miracles, but John’s gospel tells us “many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.” [John 6:66] But Jesus had said [John 6:63] “The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.”

These words have been preserved for us, this is the “new teaching with authority” – and those who read and absorb what they read will not turn back.
-------
- DC

07 August 2013

1 Kings 1
Jeremiah 28
Mark 2

"THEN IT WILL BE KNOWN THAT ..."

In today’s chapter in Jeremiah [Jeremiah 28] we see how he is confronted by a false prophet Hananiah who predicts falsely “in the name of the LORD of hosts” that “within two years I will bring back to this place all the vessels of the LORD’s house, which Nebuchadnezzar took away from this place and carried to Babylon” [Jeremiah 28:2-3]

There is a confrontation between him and Jeremiah who says, speaking to him “in the presence of the priests and all the people who were standing in the house (Temple) of the LORD” [Jeremiah 28:5] “… hear now this word that I speak in your hearing and in the hearing of all the people. The prophets who preceded you and me from ancient times prophesied war, famine, and pestilence against many countries and great kingdoms. As for the prophet who prophesies peace, when the word of that prophet comes to pass, then it will be known that the LORD has truly sent the prophet.” [Jeremiah 28:8-9]

The climax of the confrontation is when Jeremiah says, “Listen Hananiah, the LORD has not sent you, and you have made this people trust in a lie. Therefore thus says the LORD: ‘Behold I will remove you from the face of the earth. This year you shall die, because you have uttered rebellion against the LORD” [Jeremiah 28:15-16] There are those today who utter rebellion against the LORD by saying there is no God, no Creator.

Let us be careful not to twist God’s word to make it mean something different – so as to suit our own ideas. On Friday we will come to Jeremiah’s 30th chapter and see how he makes a fascinating long term prophecy, but it is the words the LORD revealed to him.

“Behold the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will restore the fortunes of my people Israel and Judah, says the LORD, and I will bring them back to the land that I gave to their fathers, and they shall take possession of it … behold I will save you from far away … Jacob shall return and have quiet and ease, and none shall make him afraid.” [Jeremiah 30:10] This is in the process of happening and on Friday we hope to make more comments – but note the final sentence in this chapter, “In the latter days you will understand this.” We are challenged to understand, let us not ignore the challenge.
-------
- DC

08 August 2013

1 Kings 2
Jeremiah 29
Mark 3

“WHOEVER DOES THE WILL OF GOD HE (or she) IS …”

We all want to do the will of God, don’t we? The Bible is full of examples of those who claim to do the will of God, but who fail to grasp what the will of God really is! Some deceive themselves into thinking that what they say and do is in harmony with the ways of God – and is therefore his will.

The principle we need to follow is plain – to read God’s word regularly and do so with a totally honest God-fearing heart, so that we do not twist its’ meaning to suit our own desires.

What we read today in Mark 3 shows that many of the Jews, especially the religious leaders were obsessed with keeping the Sabbath in a ritualistic way.- creating for themselves the spirit of self-righteousness to such an extent it blinded their minds to what Jesus was saying and doing.

Because Jesus healed a man with a withered hand on the Sabbath Day “the Pharisees went out and immediately held counsel with the Herodians against him, how to destroy him.” [Mark 3:6] They later made wild allegations against him saying, “He is possessed by Beelzebul … the prince of demons” [Mark 3:22]

It is highly interesting that there is no mention of demons, or even the word ‘devil’ in the Old Testament. Baalzebub gets a mention [2 Kings 1:3] as the idol-God in Ekron! Human imagination about the evil-spirit world had only come as a result of the influence of Greek philosophy when they conquered the ancient world before Christ.

We notice how Jesus, in a sense ‘makes fun’ or ridicules their ways of thinking ‘How can Satan cast out Satan?” [Mark 3:23] His family members come to see what is going on, obviously there were rumours circulating about him: they are “standing outside, they sent to him and called him.” [Mark 3:31] He is told they “are outside seeking you”.

His response is very significant, “looking about at those who sat around him, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does the will of God, he (or she) is my brother and sister and mother.”

The religious leaders had a corrupted perception of the will of God: we, who have God’s word so readily available have no excuse for failing to read it carefully so that we know the ways and principles upon which God acts and so do “the will of God” and as a result are truly Christ’s “brother and sister and mother”
-------
- DC

09 August 2013

1 Kings 3
Jeremiah 30
Mark 4

“ZION FOR WHOM NO ONE CARES”

Zion is another name for Jerusalem and 100 years ago Jerusalem was a neglected city; it had been part of the aging Turkish empire for the past several centuries, only those who saw significance in Bible prophecies about this ancient city were interested in its’ welfare. Of course, some of the scattered Jews were also interested.

It was truly, “Zion for whom no one cares” as we read today in Jeremiah 30. It is a mixture of a chapter, which is typical of several in Jeremiah. Jeremiah 30:12-15 describe God’s attitude in the prophet’s own days, “Because your guilt is great and your sins are flagrant.”

But the chapter starts with the Divine declaration, “behold the days are coming when I will restore the fortunes of my people, Israel and Judah” [Jeremiah 30:3] Jeremiah 30:7 is very intriguing, “Alas! That day is great there is none like it; it is a time of distress for Jacob (who was renamed Israel): yet he shall be saved out of it.” There is nothing in ancient history that this can refer to! What about 1947/48 and 1967? Possibly, but one cannot be dogmatic for it seems far more likely that it refers to the final climax with the return of Christ and the resurrection when God’s nation, as we read in Jeremiah 30:9, “shall serve the LORD their God and David their king whom I will raise up for them.”

Christ will reign over the whole world, David will reign, we suggest over Israel and the 12 Apostles will reign over the 12 tribes as Jesus promised them. See Matthew 19:28.

BUT, before this is a time when the world will experience “… the storm of the LORD! Wrath has gone forth. A whirling tempest; it will burst upon the head of the wicked. The fierce anger of the LORD will not turn back until he has executed and accomplished the intentions of his mind. In the latter days you will understand this.” [Jeremiah 30:23-24]

Those who really have a relationship with God and his Son can ‘feel’ his growing abhorrence at the fleshly godless behavior that has engulfed the world today and is getting worse each year: they will recall the words in Zephaniah’s prophecy. “Seek the LORD, all you humble … who do his just commands, seek righteousness; seek humility; perhaps you may be hidden in the day of the LORD’S anger” [Zephaniah 2:3] God will care for Zion – and for all those who truly believe in him and show this by how they live. We will soon read Jesus’ words in Mark that God “will send out the angels and gather his elect … from the ends of the earth …” as Christ is returning. “with great power and glory” [Mark 13:26-27]
-------
- DC

10 August 2013

1 Kings 4; 5
Jeremiah 31
Mark 5

“AT THAT TIME … THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE”

Part of today’s 31st chapter in Jeremiah provides us with a sequel to the verses in chapter 30 that describe God’s reaction to the time when the world’s nations, at the climax of human history, regard Israel as “outcasts … for whom no one cares”

These verses greatly attract our interest because the attitudes today more and more fit this picture. No nation openly supports Israel, many are strongly against her.

Today’s chapter follows on from the final verse of chapter 30; remember the words that attracted our attention there! “The fierce anger of the LORD will not turn back until he has executed and accomplished the intentions of his mind. In the latter days you will understand this.” Jeremiah 30:24

But there are words that immediately follow – ignore the chapter break and read on - ‘At that time’, declares the LORD. I will be the God of all the clans of Israel, and they shall be my people.” [Jeremiah 31:1 ]

Now take note of Jeremiah 31:7 which reads, “… raise shouts for the chief of the nations; proclaim, give praise, and say, O LORD, save your people, the remnant of Israel.” The meaning is not totally clear, but it implies there is a time when leading nations learn the reality of God’s existence “and gather them from the farthest parts of the earth” [Jeremiah 31:8]. To a limited extent this happened as Israel became a nation over 60 years ago. We know that about half of the Jews still live in other lands. We also realize that the land promised to Abraham through Isaac and Jacob, is a great deal more than Israel possesses at present.

This vision is completely contrary is to what many nations, especially the Islamic, are saying today. As we read on, more words jumped out at us (among a number of others). “Behold the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah (all 12 tribes) … this is the covenant I will make … after those days, declares the LORD, I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. I will be their God and they shall be my people.” [Jeremiah 31:31-33]

This climax of human history also brings the return of Jesus to earth and the resurrection. These events are the trigger for these verses to be fulfilled. Let us so read God’s word that it becomes inscribed on our hearts.
-------
- DC

11 August 2013

1 Kings 6
Jeremiah 32
Mark 6

THE LITTLE WORD ‘IF’

Today’s reading in 1 Kings 6 describes how Solomon in the 4th year of his reign began to build that remarkable temple on the mount in Jerusalem. This is what his father wanted to build, it took him 7 years [1 Kings 6:38] and “when the house was built; it was with stone prepared in the quarry, so that neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron was heard in the house while it was being built” [1 Kings 6:7]

Imagine those 7 years, there has never been a building site like it. The stone almost certainly came from a quarry right next to, if not partly under the present walls of the city that the Saracens rebuilt 500 years ago. I have been down into it, one walks into history, the stones for the Wailing Wall also came from there, you can see where they were cut out and the faulty ones they left behind.

There are references throughout the chapter to overlaying all the stones with cedar and then the cedar with pure gold [1 Kings 6:18,21,22), it would have been totally awesome to work there and see it completed.

There is the little word “IF” in verse 12 that we simply must take notice of - “concerning this house that you are building, if you will walk in my statutes and obey my rules and keep my commandments and walk in them, then I will establish my word with you which I spoke to David your father and I will dwell among the children of Israel.” [1 Kings 6:12-13]

This principle of God applied to all Solomon’s descendants. In Jeremiah we are reading of the last king, a useless ruler, and there came the terrible destruction of the temple and the city.

Let us realize that God looks for a house to dwell in today! Look at 1 Peter 2:4-5; “As you come to him, a living stone, rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house …” Can you sense that spiritual house? Can you sense you are being shaped, as “a living stone” to fit into God’s building? Remember that little word “IF” !! Are you co-operating with God so that his “spiritual house” is taking proper shape. Sadly, there are stones he rejects, they cannot be shaped as God desires.

Paul complained of those who were not “holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God” [Colossians 2:19]

Would he make the same complaint today? Paul bluntly told the Corinthians [2 Corinthians 6:1] they should be “working together with God” Let us, in a spiritual sense, build our lives, so that we will be fit for a place in God’s “Temple” – a temple that will last for ever.
-------
- DC

12 August 2013

1 Kings 7
Jeremiah 33
Mark 7

"Their heart is far from me"

Although atheism is rife in our country, we feel the greater disaster is those who go to places of Christian worship and yet, in God’s eyes, fail to offer to him the worship he seeks. The wide variety of Churches must surely indicate this. But we must avoid a judgmental attitude, that is God’s prerogative. Our first aim must be to make sure we ourselves are approaching God and His Son in the way he desires. Our second aim should be to try to help others whom we fear are failing in their approach to effectively worship God.

Jesus, when confronted with wrong attitudes, bluntly said that the type of worship he was seeing was "in vain." How tragic that any worship is in vain. One cannot totally blame the atheist and agnostic for turning their back on the confusing face Christianity presents to the world.

The major reason why we read the Bible every day is to get a right understanding of what God and his Son Jesus, require of us. We learn how they should be served and worshipped. In today’s reading [Mark 7] Jesus calls the Pharisees and Scribes "hypocrites" [Mark 7:6], that is, people who put on a false front. He quotes Isaiah to them, saying he prophesied of them, "This people honours me with their lips, but their heart is far from me, in vain do they worship me; teaching as doctrine the commandments of men." [Mark 7:7]

How much worship today is pleasing to God? Only God knows, but the above quotation shows there are two aspects we must get right. Our attitude of heart, worship is not just a ritual, it must reflect the desires we feel in our heart. Secondly, that the things we teach and believe are truly God’s word.

Words we read a week ago in the last chapter of Romans spring to mind, "watch for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites …" [Mark 7:17,18] Let us make sure our appetite is fed every day by the word of God.
-------
- DC

13 August 2013

1 Kings 8
Jeremiah 34
Mark 8

"FOR WHOEVER IS ASHAMED"

We live in a world in which most people do not want to feel ashamed of anything. Lawyers grow rich out of the efforts of some to camouflage over their failures and wrongdoing. But there can be no effective camouflage before God – so we must not be influenced by the attitudes that surround us.

We read today how Jesus had a wide audience “the crowds with his disciples” when “he said to them, ‘If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it … what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? For whoever is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.” [Mark 8:34-37]

Those who fail to put God first in their thinking will not know they have forfeited their life, that is their hope of eternal life, until – it is too late! We must not miss the vital point Jesus makes, “For whoever is ashamed of me … ” Jesus will also “be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father …”

The words of Solomon have heart searching parallels with the words of Jesus. Look at the words he used in his prayer to God as he dedicated the marvellous Temple. We read today of the ark being brought from the Tabernacle and put in “its place in the inner sanctuary of the house (Temple) in the Most Holy Place.” [1 Kings 8:6].

“Then Solomon stood before the altar of the LORD in the presence of all the assembly of Israel and spread out his hands toward heaven.” [1 Kings 8:22] There follows a remarkable prayer: it is far more than a prayer of praise.

What we need to note most of all are his references to the attitudes of the hearts of those praying – and God’s awareness of this. As “you listen to the plea of your servant and of your people Israel when they pray …” [1 Kings 8:30] “forgive and act and render to each whose heart you know, according to all his ways - for you, you only, know the hearts of all the children of mankind” [1 Kings 8:39] “… if they repent with all their mind and with all their heart” [1 Kings 8:48]

In finishing his prayer he tells the people “The LORD our God be with us as he was with our fathers. May he not leave or forsake us, that he may incline our hearts to him, to walk in all his ways …” [1 Kings 8:57-58], telling the people, “Let your heart therefore be wholly true to the LORD our God …” [1 Kings 8:61] Those with such a heart will never feel “ashamed” of confessing their belief and faith. Let us shine as lights in the darkness of this world and in word and deed “may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light” [1 Peter 2:9]
-------
- DC

14 August 2013

1 Kings 9
Jeremiah 35
Mark 9  

“THEY HAVE NOT LISTENED”

Have you heard of the Rechabites?  Jeremiah is told to “go to the house of the Rechabites” [Jeremiah 35:2] “and bring them to the house of the LORD … then offer them wine to drink.” This event was to be a lesson which Jeremiah could convey to the people.

Jeremiah says,  “I brought them to the house of the LORD into the chamber of the sons of Hanan” and “set before the Rechabites pitchers full of wine and cups, and I said to them, ‘Drink Wine’” [Jeremiah 35:4-5] but they refused saying, “We will drink no wine, for Jonadab, the son of Rechab, our father commanded us, ‘You shall not drink wine, neither you nor your sons forever … We have obeyed the voice of Jonadab … in all that he has commanded us.” [Jeremiah 35:6,8]

The LORD then tells Jeremiah, “Go and say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, ‘Will you not receive instruction and listen to my words?’ declares the LORD.  The command that Jonadab, the son of Rechab gave to his sons to drink no wine, has been kept, and they drink none to this day, for they have obeyed their father’s command.  I have spoken to you persistently but you have not listened to me. I have sent to you all my servants … saying ‘Turn every one of you from his evil way, amend your deeds’  But you did not incline your ear or listen to me.’” [Jeremiah 35:13-15]

Because of this willful deafness, the warning from the LORD goes forth, “Behold I am bringing … all the disaster I have pronounced against them, because I have spoken to them, and they have not listened.” [Jeremiah 35:17]  

Today, surely God can say something like, ‘my words that I caused to be written and preserved and spread into all languages is no longer read, nearly all the people alive today do not want to know, they have not read or listened.  Instead they listen to a multitude of voices and sounds made by those who do not know me, many saying, ‘There is no God we should heed and be in awe of.’  Those who read God’s word must say to each other, ‘Let us make sure we are not among those who have not listened.’  

And when we listen and read – what is the result if we do so sincerely with all our heart?  Jesus told his disciples,, “you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.” [John 15:3] We can see how that word changed the disciples lives’ when they realized their Saviour had died for them.  May our listening have the same effect.
-------
- DC

15 August 2013

1 Kings 10
Jeremiah 36
Mark 10

“AND THE DISCIPLES WERE AMAZED …”

The disciples of Jesus had more remarkable experiences than any other group of human beings. The sudden stilling of the storm on the Lake of Galilee was one event that particularly astonished them, but in today’s 10th chapter of Mark we may have a sense of surprise at the cause behind the statement, “And his disciples were amazed at his words.”

Jesus had just said, “How difficult it will be for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God” [Mark 10:23-24]. His comment was the sequel to a situation when an earnest man ran up to him and said “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” [Mark 10:17] Jesus says, “You know the commandments and spells out most of them, and he responds, “Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth” [Mark 10:20] “And Jesus, looking at him, loved him.”

But the love of Jesus did not blot out a fatal flaw in the man’s character, Jesus said, “You lack one thing.” The Master who sees and knows all things told him to use his “great possessions” in helping the poor. “Sell all that you have” he was told – but that was not the end of Christ’s words; but the man’s thinking had collapsed over that request.

The climax was a wonderful invitation, “come follow me… you will have treasure in heaven…” [Mark 10:21] But his mind could not jump the hurdle of his trust in wealth and “he went away sorrowful.” It was this event which caused Jesus to comment to his disciples about wealth and the great difficulties their possession cause for people who possess them. It amazed them!.

This brings our minds to bear on today’s readings in 1 Kings 10 about Solomon’s great wealth, that he “excelled all the kings of the earth in riches and in wisdom.” [1 Kings 10:23] But in the end his riches distracted him “so Solomon did not wholly follow the LORD” [1 Kings 11:6] and the lack of wisdom of his son Rehoboam led to a great loss of them. [1 Kings 12] Solomon became obsessed by possessions (see what he confesses in Ecclesiastes 1; 2).

And us? Our world is full of things to distract us, many of us – from Jesus’ perspective are ‘wealthy’ compared to previous generations. Jesus says to us, “Come follow me” If we have said, or decide to say, “Yes Lord” – let us do so – making sure there are no earthly possessions which are distracting us. Those who “follow me”, says Jesus “receive a hundredfold now in this lime … and in the age to come, eternal life.” [Mark 10:30]. This was the Apostle Paul’s experience, he expresses his position very succinctly, “as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing, as poor, yet making many rich, as having nothing, yet possessing everything.” [2 Corinthians 6:10]
-------
- DC

16 August 2013

1 Kings 11
Jeremiah 37
Mark 11

"THE LORD RAISED UP AN ADVERSARY"

After all the wonders for most of Solomon’s reign, all the benefits and blessings he had inherited from his father David, Solomon’s greatness - we would say – humanly speaking – went to his head. We read today “when Solomon was old his wives turned away his heart …” [1 Kings 11:4] A significant factor in this was that he married many foreign wives who worshipped idols.

We are told “the LORD was angry with Solomon because his heart had turned away from the LORD” [1 Kings 11:9] His foreign wives had influenced him in his worship, so “the LORD raised up an adversary against Solomon, Hadad the Edomite.” [1 Kings 11:14] There were others, “God also raised up as an adversary to him, Rezin, the son of Eliada” [1 Kings 11:23] Our English translations disguise the fact that the word ‘adversary’ in Hebrew is ‘Satan.’

The fundamental meaning of ‘satan’ is someone who opposes you. The first occasions the word is used in Scripture is in Numbers 22:22; 22:32 to describe how the angel God sent to encounter the false prophet Balaam, who had some knowledge of the LORD, that this angel was an “adversary” to him – sent by God “to oppose” him.

We read earlier this week how Jesus said to Peter, “Get behind me Satan! For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.” [Mark 8:33] Later, some Jewish synagogues were becoming so opposed to the growing Christian communities that they are described as “a synagogue of Satan” [Revelation 2:9]

Are there any satans in your life? If so, can it be that you are being tested as Jesus was by Peter? Or “the synagogue of Satan” that tested believers in Smyrna. They were told, “Do not fear what you are about to suffer: behold the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested … you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death and I will give you the crown of life … The one who conquers will not be hurt by the second death” when Jesus comes [Revelation 2:10-11] Let us conquer any adversaries or adversities. How wonderful the promise, “The one who conquers … I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels.” [Revelation 3:5]
-------
- DC

17 August 2013

1 Kings 12
Jeremiah 38
Mark 12

"... AND TREATED HIM SHAMEFULLY"

As we read Jesus’ parable about the tenants in the vineyard today [Mark 17:1-9] and the treatment they meted out to any servants that came to them on behalf of the owner seeking his share of the fruit, our thoughts went quite naturally to what we had just read in Jeremiah who brought from God messages that did not please the leading men of his day. All the counsellors of the king saw his words as undermining them, they did not accept his version as to the attitude of God towards them despite the fact that his warnings had so far proved true.

They “treated him shamefully” putting him in the waterless cistern so that he sank in the mud at the bottom. [Jeremiah 38:4-6]. It is significant that it is a Gentile, an Ethiopian, that alerts the King to his plight and rescues him [Jeremiah 38:7-13]; this is parallel to some of the experiences of the apostle Paul.

Returning to the parable of Jesus we can see its application not only to how the tenants killed Jesus the son of the owner, but to the treatment through the centuries of those who are faithful to the truths God has left on record in the scriptures. How many cling to their own distorted philosophies and, as Paul complained, “exchanged the truth about God for a lie” [Romans 1:25]

Our chapter today tells us how Jesus tackled the Sadducees over this. They deny there is to be a resurrection. Jesus rebukes them saying you “are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God” [Mark 12:24] He says that those “who rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.” [Mark 12:25] How vital that we “know … the Scriptures.”

On another occasion Jesus said “there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of God but you yourselves cast out” [Luke 13:28] That it is a literal kingdom on earth is made plain in the next verse, “and people will come from east and west, and from north and south, and recline at table in the kingdom of God.”

Together with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob will be such as Jeremiah and, most likely, “the scribe” who “answered wisely” – as we read in today’s chapter - so that Jesus said to him, “You are not far from the Kingdom of God.” [Mark 12:34] We must each ask ourselves, ‘How far am I from the Kingdom of God?’
-------
- DC

18 August 2013

1 Kings 13
Jeremiah 39
Mark 13  

“YOU DO NOT KNOW WHEN THE TIME WILL COME”                                                                      

Today we again read what is known as ‘The Olivet Prophecy’; we read it every 2 months, is it TOO familiar to us?

This teaching of Jesus is specifically to his disciples as they sat on the Mount of Olives where they could look down on the Temple.  He had shocked them by saying the Temple was soon going to be destroyed.

Much of our chapter today [Mark 13] is primarily about the coming destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem and the extreme plight of the people at that time. This happened in AD70. But in some of his words Jesus extends his vision beyond that time to his second coming when there will be a an even greater time of trouble; it will involve the whole world, but Jerusalem with be the focal point.  Some of his words apply to both that time (AD67-70) when, according to Josephus about a million Jews died, but other words apply specifically to the final time of trouble. Jesus says there will be “such tribulation as has not been from the beginning of creation until now and never will be (again).” [Mark 13:19]

Christ’s words end with a personal message and parable which all true believers must heed: “Be on your guard, stay awake.  For you do not know when the time will come” [Mark 13:33].  Jesus talks of a “man going on a journey” (himself) who “puts his servants in charge, each with his work” [Mark 13:34] What is the work of these servants?  They are in charge!  In charge of what?  The answer is that they are to represent him, they are in charge of his message, although they “do not know when the Master will come” [Mark 13:35].

On another occasion Jesus answered a query by Peter by warning that some servants would think “My Master is delayed in coming” and they begin to beat their fellow servants “and to eat and drink and get drunk, and the master of that servant will come  … (at) an hour he does not know” [Luke 12:45-46].  

The lack of diligent Bible reading today is becoming more evident.  Yet the world knows it is facing an impossible future and more and more people, especially young people are living for the moment, that is all most want to think about!  Are you a servant of the Lord?  If so, hear Jesus’ words, “Be on your guard, stay awake,” discover the power of prayer for, wrote James, “the prayer of a righteous person has great power in its working” [James 5:16]. Let us serve the Lord by making his word known to any who will listen.  
-------
- DC

19 August 2013

1 Kings 14
Jeremiah 40
Mark 14

"WATCH AND PRAY"

Today in Mark 14 we read Mark’s moving account of the events in the Garden of Gethsemane. That evening they had been together in what is known as the “upper room.” This was when what we call “the last supper” took place. As the bread and the cup were passed around [Mark 14:22-25) the disciples would not have accepted in their minds what it was all about! Now use your imagination as to the kind of emotion they would experience in the weeks that followed his ascension especially when joined with thousands who had been “cut to the heart” on the Day of Pentecost. Let’s open up our mind’s eye on the heart felt emotion of such occasions - it results in a most heart stirring personal meditation.

After that last supper “and when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives” [Mark 14:26]. It is quite a climb and Jesus initiates a conversation about them denying they know him. This leads Peter to declare, “If I must die with you I will not deny you.” [Mark 14:31] It is late evening when they come down from the Mount and “went to a place called Gethsemane” and Jesus “began to be greatly distressed and troubled.” He tells them to “remain here and watch” [Mark 14:34] What are they to watch for? They have no thought that a band of soldiers will come!

After emotionally praying to his father he returns and finds them sleeping and “he says to Peter, ‘Simon are you asleep? Could you not watch one hour?” [Mark 14:37] Their minds were closed to any thought of his imminent arrest – and if they had been aware – would there have been any value in watching for the event to happen?

Jesus next comment is significant, “Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” [Mark 14:38] Jesus means – watch yourselves! Check out your strength – of faith: a lesson for us. The extra couple of words Matthew uses in describing the trauma in the garden have significance, for Jesus says, “Could you not watch with me one hour” [Matthew 26:38,40] He was looking for their support – and they failed him: Let us not fail each other – for the time is surely coming when we will need each other – urgently.

In seeking “to interpret the signs of the times” [Matthew 16:3] – which is a phrase Jesus only used when addressing the Pharisees, the emphasis must be on watching ourselves and keeping each other strong, Our prayers and fellowship will be essential - to maintain our strength of mind so we do not fail as the disciples did - but are ready when “the angels (come to) gather his elect” as we read yesterday [Mark 13:27].
-------
- DC

20 August 2013

1 Kings 15
Jeremiah 41
Mark 15

"IT WAS OUT OF ENVY"

One of the outstanding characteristics of human nature is the capacity to be jealous, to envy others; many advertising tactics exploit this. The gospels repeatedly show us that those in positions of authority were envious of the great popularity Jesus enjoyed. Our ‘democratic’ societies have elections every few years and we witness the clash of ego’s between those seeking the prestige of being in government.

As we read Mark 15 we see that it was easy for Pilate to “perceive that it was out of envy that the chief priests had delivered (Jesus) up.” [Mark 15:10] But Pilate was also a man of the world, so “wishing to satisfy the crowds … having scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified” [Mark 15:15] We need to put the 4 Gospels together to get a full picture of the process; they all illustrate the envious mood of the advocates raising their voices against Jesus..

Human elections these days are full of efforts to satisfy the majority, but they never remain satisfied for long. With what cynicism did those who had been envious of Christ call out and “mocked him” on the cross, “saying, ‘He saved others, he cannot save himself. Let Christ the king of Israel, come down now from the cross that we may see and believe.” [Mark 15:31-32]

How shocked they would have been if that had happened! How shocked the world will be when Christ does come down – from heaven. Remember what we read yesterday in Mark 14; he told the High Priest, “you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven.” [Mark 14:62]

All envy will vanish at that time – to be replaced by utter awe for “the powers in the heavens will be shaken” [Mark 13:25] and “he will send out the angels to gather his elect” [Mark 13:27] – all those whose character has been the very opposite of envy!

Paul perfectly describes the character of the elect, “Love is patient and kind: love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant … rejoices with the truth … Love never ends.” [1 Corinthians 13:4-8] It will never end in God’s kingdom, but we must practice it now in getting rid of all tendency to envy.
-------
- DC

21 August 2013

1 Kings 16
Jeremiah 42
Mark 16  

"THEY WOULD NOT BELIEVE IT"

Today we completed reading the Gospel of Mark. One needs to compare all 4 Gospels to get a full picture of events after Christ rose from the dead. Such was the awesome sight of Christ’s horrible death on the cross, whether seen from nearby or from afar, that his followers could not begin to imagine he could rise from the dead again – as had Lazarus:  the one who had the power to raise others was dead himself.  

Mary Magdalene, according to Mark, was the first one that Jesus appeared to [Mark 16:9] which is parallel with the detailed account in John’s gospel [John 20:11-18].  In Mark we read “she went and told those who had been with him, as they mourned and wept.  But when they heard that he was alive and had been seen by her, they would not believe it.” [Mark 16:10-11]

The next 2 verses are a summary of what is recorded in Luke 24:13-33 of the 2 disciples to whom, an unrecognised Jesus talked on the road to Emmaus - and made their “hearts burn” as he opened to them the meaning of Scripture – obviously prophecies, now fulfilled in recent events – then followed their astonished recognition of him as they “brake bread” – what a shock when they saw his hands!  

Mark says, “they went back and told the rest, but they did not believe them”.  [Mark 16:14] Jesus appears and tells them to go into all the world and proclaim the gospel …” [Mark 16:15] which is repeated as he is about to ascend to heaven before their astonished gaze. [Acts 1:8-9] followed by the challenging words of the angels “This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven will come in the same way as you saw him go …”

Looking at Mark again, he stresses  the final commission of Jesus’, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel …” [Mark 16:15] and the commission to do that is now at last just about completed.  But is enough stress being put upon what the Gospel actually is?  Paul, in writing to the Galatians expresses his astonishment that already some were “turning to a different gospel” [Galatians 1:7] and makes the point “that God … preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham …” [Galatians 3:8] of the blessing to come on the nations. Christ warned his hearers, “there will be weeping … when you see Abraham … in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves cast out.” [Luke 13:28]  Let us believe the original gospel.

Returning to Mark - he quotes one of the final points of Jesus that was an essential part of the preaching; “Whoever believes and is baptised will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.” [Mark 16:16] Everyone must face the question, “Do you believe what Jesus actually taught?’  Sadly, very few are saying ‘Yes’ today.
-------
- DC

22 August 2013

1 Kings 17
Jeremiah 43
1 Corinthians 1; 2  

"IT IS NOT A WISDOM OF THIS AGE"

Today we start reading Paul’s letters to the Corinthians. The believers there had been converted from the foolish philosophies of the Greeks who believed in a spirit after-life; also in many gods of their imagination – of whom they erected idols. We have had a parallel experience in going into Indian temples in recent years.

Paul says, “The Jews demand signs and the Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to the Jews and folly to the Gentiles.”  We can understand their reaction to a message built around a man who was crucified!   But that was the ‘bare bones’ of the picture!

What a wonderful meaning to life and of hope in the future sprang from the terrible event at Calvary that we have just read in Mark’s Gospel.  The next words of Paul are, “but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.” [1 Corinthians 1:22-25]

Paul then asks them to “consider your calling, brothers; not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth.  But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God” [1 Corinthians 1:28-29]   The scribes and the Pharisees were brought to nothing!

The worldly wise indulge in another kind of boasting today – that, in the ‘wisdom’ they have acquired through present human ‘scientific’ deductions,  they have come to the ‘knowledge’ that there is NO God!   In contrast, our wisdom is to recognise what turned the thinking in the world of the First Century upside down - as to the meaning of life; “It was not a wisdom of this age” [1 Corinthians 2:6] says Paul, then he stresses that, “Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God, that we might understand the things freely given to us by God.  And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom, but taught by the Spirit … [1 Corinthians 2:12-13]

And God’s Spirit caused Paul and the other apostles to write things down so that we can feed our minds on this spirit inspired word.  Remember how Jesus told his disciples, “The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.” [John 6:63]  Let us make sure our minds carefully and prayerfully feed on God given food every day.
-------
- DC

23 August 2013

1 Kings 18
Jeremiah 44
1 Corinthians 3

"EACH ONE'S WORK WILL BECOME MANIFEST”

We had a dramatic chapter [18] to read in 1 Kings today where Elijah confronted the prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel and divine power was shown to set fire to Elijah’s offering on the LORD’s altar that he built. The foolishness of those following Baal was made plain and they were all killed.

In our 1 Corinthians reading [chapter 3] Paul writes about the foundation of truth about God that “I planted, Apollos watered, but only God … gives the growth.” [1 Corinthians 3:6] Paul planted the awareness of the one true God and the relationship humans can have with him and his Son. How wonderful to know there is a real living God that has a purpose with humanity!

How was what Paul had ‘planted’ growing? That awareness, that knowledge has to be developed in each one’s mind to grow into a sure faith, a foundation for all their thinking – and doing! It is useless – in the end – to just think about Jesus and God – and for our thoughts to fail to make any difference to our lives.

Paul makes a simple, yet profound point, “no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.” [1 Corinthians 3:11] What is the quality of the work one does, in building on that foundation? He uses a telling illustration, a simple parable with a powerful meaning!

Do we build with “gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay (or) straw” ? [1 Corinthians 3:12] Paul then points to the judgement to come on the ‘day’ of Christ’s return when “each one’s work will become manifest” What a day that will be “for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he (or she) will receive a reward.” [1 Corinthians 3:13-14] And even “if anyone one’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.” [1 Corinthians 3:15]

Those who have followed the modern equivalents of Baal – also those who are aware of the foundation but who fail to do any building. That day will be “a day of distress and anguish” [Zephaniah 1:15].

Christ is at the door and soon it will “become manifest” (evident) what we have built on the foundation Christ laid – and whether we have built at all.
-------
- DC

24 August 2013

1 Kings 19
Jeremiah 45; 46
1 Corinthians 4; 5

"THEN HE WAS AFRAID"

The strength of our faith can collapse in some situations. This is human nature – and we must recognise how to recover from this. We have an outstanding example in our 1 Kings reading today. Elijah had been the ‘spiritual hero’ of the LORD on Mt Carmel in front of Ahab. God responded to his faith and “the fire of the LORD fell and consumed the burnt offering” [1 Kings 18:38] despite it being heavily doused with water. Then 450 Baal worshippers were killed.

After this the 3½ year drought dramatically comes to an end as a result of Elijah’s prayers, James remarks on this in his letter – James 5:17-18. 1 Kings 19 tells us that “Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done” and she sent a messenger to him “saying, ‘so may the gods do to me and more also, if I do not make your life as the life of one of them (the prophets of Baal) by this time tomorrow.’ Then he was afraid and he arose and ran …” [1 Kings 19:2-3]

Elijah’s faith and trust in his God collapsed, but the LORD uses this to teach him a lesson and rebuild and renew his service – as the rest of today’s chapter reveals. It reminds us of some of David’s Psalms: the classic case of this is Psalm 22 which begins with the heartbroken lament that the LORD had forsaken him, which is a ‘prophecy’ of what Christ was to utter on the cross – but look at how the ongoing text of the Psalm shows that David regains his vision and confidence in the divinely ordained future.

Elijah flees, but is miraculously fed, and has strength for a 40 day journey (1 Kings 19:8 - parallel with Jesus in the wilderness?) to come “to Horeb, the mount of God” where Moses received the 10 commandments. The question comes to him from the LORD? “What are you doing here Elijah?” [1 Kings 19:9]. He laments, “I, even I only, am left and they seek my life …” [1 Kings 19:10]

There is a great demonstration of the power of nature; wind, earthquake and fire and then a ‘still small voice’…”the sound of a low whisper” [1 Kings 19:12] and the LORD reassures him, he is not the only faithful one left – and Elijah returns to complete the work of the LORD. And us? May we so read God’s word that we complete the work he has given to us to accomplish, not neglecting the particular talents we have that we should use – for the time available may be short.
-------
- DC

25 August 2013

1 Kings 20
Jeremiah 47
1 Corinthians 6  

"DO YOU NOT KNOW THAT ... "                                                                                                            

Four times the above phrase is used by Paul in 1 Corinthians 6.  Many believers there were spiritually blind to the follies of the behaviour that they had slipped back into. It happened then, it happens today.   It appears to be worse among those who proclaim that once you are saved you are saved for always regardless of the nature of your future sins;  that attitude is specifically condemned in Hebrews 10:26-31.

Now it is true that God is merciful and forgiving and David is the supreme example of this, but it is folly to think he turns a ‘blind eye’ to sins, he did not with David. How could a righteous God overlook the serious specific moral failures that were happening in Corinth.

We read, “Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived” [1 Corinthians 6:9];  yet such is human nature we can indulge in self-deception.    Now while we acknowledge the justice of his condemnation of “the sexually immoral … adulterers …  (and those) who practice homosexuality” we must not overlook that he also says “.. the thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God” [1 Corinthians 6:9-10].  

Paul then says, “And such were some of you.  But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God” [1 Corinthians 6:11].  

Sexual misbehaviour is a special target of his concern and he makes the point, “The body is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.” [1 Corinthians 6:13].  This takes us back to what we read in Chapter 3, “Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you” [1 Corinthians 3:16]  There is a sense in which we have the Holy Spirit!  But that sense is that his Spirit is with us and watches over us.

Returning to 1 Corinthians 6, we now note 1 Corinthians 6:15, “Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ?  Shall I then make them members of a prostitute? Never!”  In 1 Corinthians 6:18 we read “Flee from sexual immorality” don’t just avoid it.    

Finally, and most significant of all look at the last 2 verses; “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”  [1 Corinthians 6:19-20] Do you not KNOW?   It is not head knowledge is it!  It is heart knowledge!  Do you possess it?
-------
- DC