TFTBR - March 2013

Resource Manager

26 March 2013

Numbers 7
Proverbs 4
Luke 18  

"MY FATHER ... HE TAUGHT ME"

Today’s chapter of Solomon’s Proverbs [Proverbs 4] alerts us to the responsibility of fathers. It starts, “Hear. O sons, a father’s instruction, and be attentive … “ It is clear that David, the father of Solomon had seen in him a responsive spirit and taught him the ways of God. This led David to name Solomon as his successor (see 1 Kings 1:13,17; 1:28-30) despite the efforts of other and older sons to claim the kingship as David was about to die.

Solomon writes, “When I was a son with my father … he taught me and said to me, ‘let your heart hold fast to my words; keep my commandments and live.  Get wisdom, get insight … do not turn away from the words of my mouth” [Proverbs 4:3-5]  Solomon goes on to write advice to his son, “Hear, my son, accept my words, that the years of your life may be many.  I have taught you the way of wisdom; I have led you in the paths of uprightness.  When you walk, your step will not be hampered, and if you run, you will not stumble.  Keep hold of instruction; do not let go; guard her; for she is your life.” [Proverbs 4:10-13]

But Solomon’s son Rehoboam, did not listen so as to remember his father’s words, they did not stay in his heart and we read of the tragedy of his lack of wisdom when he succeeded his father in 2 Chronicles 10:8-13 in rejecting wise counsel.   This is reflected in Proverbs 1:25-26 “because you have ignored all my counsel and would have none of my reproof, I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when terror strikes you …”

We see these words as also having a final application in our days as the whole word ignores God’s counsel, despite his word being available in every language!  Solomon writes in Proverbs 15, “The eyes of the LORD are in every place; keeping watch on the evil and on the good. A gentle tongue is a tree of life … whoever heeds reproof is prudent.” [Proverbs 15:3-5]  Let us heed God’s word!

Finally we noted the words of Jesus about the ones that God “draws (to) him. And I will raise (them) up at the last day.  It is written in the prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me…” [John 6:44-45] Have we learned?  Let us be taught – from God’s word.
-------
- DC

27 March 2013

Numbers 8; 9
Proverbs 5
Luke 19  

"THE THINGS THAT MAKE FOR PEACE"

Our world likes to talk about peace.  We cannot recall a time when there has not been talks about the need for peace in some situation, often many situations. At the end of world wars “peace” is declared!  But is “peace” simply a cessation of hostilities?

No it is not, well not from the divine perspective.  We read in today’s chapter of Luke [Luke 19] how Jesus came down the mount of Olives  [Luke 19:37]and “the whole multitude of his disciples (not just the 12) began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen, saying, ‘Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord! …. And when he drew near and saw the city, he wept over it, saying, ‘Would that you, even you, had known on this day the things that make for peace!  But now they are hidden from your eyes.”  

The challenge for each one of us is to know “the things that make for peace” – for real peace.  We recall what we read in Luke 2 of the song of the heavenly host to the shepherds, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is well pleased” [Luke 2:14]  The old A V translation does not render the Gk adequately when it has “ …on earth peace, goodwill toward men.”

If the Jews had accepted Jesus as their Messiah there would have been real peace, for Jesus would have taken his God given power to humble the nations and reign.  That is still to happen, that is the hope of the world, although so few know it, but as this world gets more desperate about its’ future how vital it will be to have that hope.  

Our thoughts went back to the first chapter in Luke and the inspired prophecy of Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist that “you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways … to guide our feet into the way of peace.”  [Luke 1:79] Those who responded from the heart to John’s message became followers of Jesus and were taught “the way of peace”.  The followers of Jesus taught that”way of peace” after he ascended to heaven.  

Ponder what Paul wrote to the Philippians, “…. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” [Philippians 4:6-7] Only the Scriptures show us “the way of peace” and “the things that make for peace.”  
-------
- DC

28 March 2013

Numbers 10
Proverbs 6
Luke 20  

FATHER'S AND MOTHER'S RESPONSIBILITY

Our Proverbs [Proverbs 6] reading calls for reflective meditation.  “My son keep your father’s commandment and forsake not your mother’s teaching .  Bind them on your heart always … when you walk they will lead you …. They will talk with you.” [Proverbs 6:20-22] Are mother’s and father’s fulfilling their responsibility today?  A teaching technique is needed that so fixes words of vital advice in the hearer’s heart that “they will talk” in their minds when the need arises.  

But are children listening today?  Attitudes in many parts of the world discourage children from being guided by their parents; of course, if parent’s provide no wise guidance, that adds to the tragedy.   When children today become parents most see their responsibility as providing food, bed and clothing and sending them to school to be educated.  All very good and necessary but Solomon says, “the reproofs of discipline are a way of life.” [Proverbs 6:23]

The result of a failure provide disciple when necessary leads, says Solomon, to “a worthless person, a wicked man (who) goes about with crooked speech, winks with his eyes …” [Proverbs 6:12-13]  Life to such is a sort of game to be played!  The way many (especially young people) live today is starting to reflect the point Solomon is making here.

Solomon then goes on to say that a “perverted heart devises evil, continually sowing discord; therefore calamity will come upon him suddenly; in a moment he will be broken beyond healing.” [Proverbs 6:14-15]  Is not this prophetic, in a sense, of the fate awaiting our 21st Century’s way of life!?

Proverbes 7 begins with this advice from Solomon to the rising generation, “keep my words and treasure up my commandments and live”   The ultimate kind of living for those who do this  and accept a divine relationship – and the responsibility of that relationship - is described in the words of Jesus we read today in Luke 20.  “Those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage, for they cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection” [Luke 20:35-36]  

Above all else we do in life, let us heed our Heavenly Father’s instruction.
-------
- DC

29 March 2013

Numbers 11
Proverbs 7
Luke 21

"FOREBODING OF WHAT IS COMING ON THE WORLD"

Foreboding is not a word we use much these days; the dictionary says it means – ‘have a premonition of something evil or harmful.’ Jesus used it (as translated by the ESV) in our reading today [Luke 21:26]; he forecast that just before he returns to earth there will be, “distress of nations in perplexity … people fainting with fear and foreboding of what is coming on the world.”

In our younger days there was optimism that even better times were coming because of the new inventions in many areas. This was not just in the things we buy for our homes, but the better fertilisers and increasing productivity. Clever scientists and inventers were making life better and better – and when Communism collapsed as the Berlin wall came down in 1989 it seemed the world was entering a new golden era of peace and prosperity. How dramatically the scene has changed since then - still greater changes are threatening now; all for the worse.

As we read Numbers 11 today we saw some comparisons. The Israelites had had a wonderful and miraculous deliverance from captivity in Egypt. There was a “honeymoon” period at Mt Sinai and a special tabernacle was built using the gold they had taken from the Egyptians. Then “manna,” the bread from heaven, was provided as their staple food.

But today’s chapter starts, “And the people complained about their misfortunes … oh that we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt that cost nothing, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions …” [Numbers 11:1,4,5]. Today’s world has so many who are ready to complain about anything that is not just as they want it !

Two hundred years ago nearly everyone believed in a Creator as the source of all things. One hundred years ago, the majority of people still believed this but today a large majority have turned their backs on the God of the Bible. Man is now his own ‘god.’ What happened to the self-centred Israelites in the wilderness will have its parallel to the 21st Century as people faint “with fear and foreboding” and distress and perplexity becomes overwhelming.

Our Proverbs’ chapter again has valuable advice, “Keep my commandments and live … call insight your intimate friend” [Proverbs 7:1,4]. Insight! Inward vision in your heart of the real meaning of life (and Easter) is the antidote to being full of foreboding about what is coming on the world, only God’s word provides the right “food” for seeking hearts.
-------
- DC

30 March 2013

Numbers 12; 13
Proverbs 8; 9
Luke 22  

"ALL WHO HATE ME LOVE DEATH"

What a challenging statement that is, “all who hate me love death”!   It is the final statement in Proverbs 8, a chapter which begins with the question, ”Does not wisdom call?”.  Call? – this is a Hebrew word that occurs 16 times in Proverbs, for example, Proverbs 1:24 :”I have called and you refused to listen.”

In today’s chapter, it is followed by the parallel question, “Does not understanding raise her voice?”   How many fail to understand, especially today; even try to understand the reason for life, what it is all about!

This remarkable chapter personifies “wisdom” as a person who is totally wise in the way they live their lives.  “My mouth will utter truth” says wisdom, “wickedness is an abomination to my lips.  All the words of my mouth are righteous, there is nothing crooked or twisted in them.” [Proverbs 8:7-8]

Wisdom has a sister called ”Prudence” - a word which the dictionary defines as the quality of being foreseeing and discreet – and so in Proverbs 8:12 we read, I wisdom dwell with prudence and I find knowledge and discretion”  as a result.

The next verses say, “The fear (awe) of the LORD is hatred of evil.  Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate. I have counsel and sound wisdom; I have insight; I have strength.  By me kings reign and rulers decree what is just”  Is there a ruler who can be described in this way now?  Even Solomon in his old age faltered.

In the New Testament James states that, in contrast to human wisdom, “the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.” [James 3:17]   .  Jesus is the embodiment of wisdom and one day soon he will return from his Father’s side to reign with true wisdom and those who have loved wisdom will rejoice and receive “fruit” because of their love.

The final quotation we will select is “My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold … granting an inheritance to those who love me … [Proverbs 8:19,21] And what an inheritance!   In contrast – remember how the chapter ends, “all those who hate me love death”  Of course they do not “love” death” but because they turn their back on wise thinking and doing – in God’s eyes they “love death.”  There is no ‘in between’ position in life, it is either the broad way or the narrow way!  How increasingly uncomfortable it must be to try to ‘walk’ having a foot on each path!  Too late – it is realised it is impossible!  God is calling – are you really listening?    
-------
- DC

31 March 2013

Numbers 14
Proverbs 10
Luke 23

"YOU WILL BE WITH ME IN PARADISE"

Today we read of Jesus on the Cross. “The chief priests and the rulers and the people” [Luke 23:13] opposed Pilate’s decision to release him so he gave in and “delivered Jesus over to their will.” He is crucified between two criminals and one of these derides him saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us,” but the other rebukes him and says, “we are receiving the due reward for our deeds, but this man has done nothing wrong” [Luke 23:39,41] Then he makes a request to Jesus which, together with Jesus’ answer, is widely misunderstood.

He says, “‘Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom’. And Jesus says to him, ‘Truly I say to you today, you will be with me in paradise.’” [Luke 23:42-43] We have quoted exactly as in the Bible (ESV) with one little exception, we have put the comma after the word ‘today’ instead of before it. The original Greek has no punctuation so translators use their own judgement as to how to punctuate the text when rendering it in English – or any other language - and nearly all of them get it wrong in this verse.

The question the criminal asked indicates he knew the teachings of Jesus but had turned to bad ways: maybe he learnt the prayer Jesus taught, ”Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth …” [Matthew 6:10].The word ‘paradise’ means a garden, a park – the Garden of Eden was a paradise. The whole world will become the Garden of Eden when Jesus sets up God’s kingdom’. Jesus promised, “to the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.” [Revelation 2:7].

It is obvious that Jesus is not referring to heaven when he made this promise. After he came out of the tomb he said to Mary Magdalene, “I have not yet ascended to the Father” [John 20:17]. The criminal re-established his relationship with Jesus because of his faith – and for that reason he received this promise of a place in the paradise of God’s kingdom. He had remarkable faith in the future that awaited Jesus when the disciples had lost theirs!

A closing thought is to note the mistake some make in saying that since this repentant criminal was not baptised – baptism is not essential. They forget that baptism is a symbol of the death and resurrection of Jesus as Paul makes plain in Romans 6:3-8. Baptism became essential after the resurrection of Jesus. Those who only knew the baptism of John had to be rebaptised (see Acts 19:3-5) The whole world is to become a paradise! What wonders await all who will be with Jesus then! Will you be with him in paradise?.
-------
- DC