TFTBR - February 2013

Resource Manager

01 February 2013

Exodus 5; 6
Psalms 58; 59
Romans 10; 11

"I APPEARED ... AS GOD ALMIGHTY"

Our reading in Exodus 6 today presents us with a puzzle. “God spoke to Moses and said to him, ‘I am the LORD. I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty (Heb: El Shaddai) but by my name the LORD (Heb: Yahweh) I did not make myself known to them.” [Exodus 6:2-3]

Yet we can see that the Hebrew word Yahweh occurs in the early chapters of Genesis (from Genesis 2:4) and that Adam used it in speech (Genesis 4:1, see also Genesis 4:26). The solution to this conundrum that occurs to us is – remember our thoughts yesterday – that, at the burning bush, God attached a special meaning to his name YAHWEH. He expanded it to mean - “I will be what I will be.” - and we see that this phrase with its meaning could not have been expressed before that time – because the event which “created” that meaning was only then about to happen.

In Genesis 17:1 the text says that “the LORD (Yahweh) “appeared to Abram and said to him, I am God Almighty (El Shaddai) walk before me and be blameless …” and indicated his almightiness toward Abraham, in saying “you shall be the father of a multitude of nations” [Genesis 17:4] – not just Israel, and thus “God preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham.” [Galatians 3:8] completing that preaching after he was ready to sacrifice Isaac [Genesis 22:17-18].

In Old Testament times we can find no place where God is addressed as Father! (Do you know of any?), but when he became a Father with the birth of Jesus, that was then the name by which believers are privileged to address him. Do we appreciate that enough? But the ‘name’ we use to address the Creator is secondary to the perception in our hearts and minds of what God must be – it should grow into a perception that overwhelms us! It is most powerfully expressed by Paul in our Roman’s reading today. “Oh the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgements and how inscrutable his ways! ‘For who has known the mind of the Lord … For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.” [Romans 11:33,34,36]

Let us all say ‘Amen’ to that – an ‘Amen’ we utter from our hearts, not just our minds, remembering what Paul told the men of Athens about “The God who made the world and everything in it” that “he is actually not far from each one of us, for ‘In him we live and move and have our being’” [Acts 17:24,27,28]

Let us appreciate to the full the unlimited power of God that surrounds us – and that he wants us to address him as ‘Father’ – and the event that made that possible – and the reality of the faith we should develop.
-------
- DC

02 February 2013

Exodus 7; 8
Psalms 60; 61
Romans 12  

"AS A LIVING SACRIFICE"

In Genesis we are reading of Moses’ encounters with Pharaoh and today we saw Moses’ demand “We must go three days journey into the wilderness and sacrifice to the LORD our God as he tells us” [Exodus 8:27] Over the next few days we will read of the drama of the plagues: we pondered the example of Pharaoh’s tactic of first agreeing and then denying Moses’ requests, so Moses says, “let not Pharaoh cheat again …” [Exodus 8:29]

Egypt had come to depend, we conclude, on the enslaved Israelites as a really significant factor in their economic well-being: this compares with today as a most important factor in decision making processes of Governments; but it rarely leads to the wisest decisions, especially in this godless world.

As we read through Exodus we learn about the whole system of worship which God gave to the people starting with the ten commandments.  With the “mountain smoking” and  thunder and lightning “Moses said to the people, ‘Do not fear, for God has come to test you, that the fear (awe) of him may be before you, that you may not sin.” [Exodus 20:18,20]    

A system of sacrifice and offerings for sin is then instituted. This largely revolved around the sacrifice of animals, however in most cases these then became food for the priests and the people. Sadly, as the years passed their spiritual perception and service to their God and of his wondrous deliverance of them from slavery faded: sacrifice became more and more a ritual.

In the New Testament we have the ultimate sacrifice – that of God’s Son – our Lord.  The first converts on the day of Pentecost “were cut to the heart” [Acts 2:37] But did that “sacrifice” of heart last?  Our chapter today in Romans [Romans 12] sees Paul making an impassioned plea about this.  The chapter starts, “I appeal to you therefore brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God …”

All that those trying to be genuine believers - do, say and even think – needs to arise from an earnest desire to be such a sacrifice.  Notice how Paul puts it; to “be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God” [Romans 12:2].  We must not fall into the trap of creating rituals to keep and follow similar to the pattern that later developed in the wilderness; rather, as we read in Hebrews 9:14, “how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God” and make us into “a living sacrifice” having an active purified conscience.    
-------
- DC

03 February 2013

Exodus 9
Psalms 62; 63
Romans 13; 14

“SUBJECT TO THE GOVERNING AUTHORITIES”

The first part of our reading today, Romans 13, needs to be understood in the context of the whole Bible. Paul tells his readers, “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities … those that exist have been instituted by God. Whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed … for rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad.” [Romans 13:1-3] This was written because some Christians thought they could ignore the laws of the land in some situations, that they were ‘above’ human laws.? There have been such “Christians” throughout history, for example the practice of polygamy in the USA, following Old Testament practice and not the words of the followers of Christ. Jesus spoke of “one wife” [Matthew 19:5], as did Paul, see Ephesians 5:31,33 and 1 Timothy 5:9.

Some see Paul’s comments in Romans as a problem when there are bad rulers. That is an understandable query and the answer is seen to some degree when we look for examples of this. The end result of bad situations, if God’s will is involved, is good for the spreading of the Gospel. Paul and Silas were thrown into jail in Philippi and sang hymns and God caused an earthquake and the jailer and his family were baptised. Think of other bad situations like the time Paul spent several years in detention, but notice that several of Paul’s letters were written from prison which demonstrates believers seek opportunities in every situation in their lives.

Religious authorities are regarded differently. When Peter and John were told by the religious authorities “to speak no more to anyone”, they replied “Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than God, you must judge, for we cannot but speak of the things we have seen and heard.” [Acts 4:18-20] And ourselves – to speak and write of what we have read! Let’s make sure we do.

Our Exodus reading today is most interesting in what the LORD tells Moses to say to Pharaoh in warning him of the plague of hail, “for this purpose I have raised you up to show you my power, so that my name (reputation) may be proclaimed in all the earth” [Exodus 9:16] So God brings bad people and nations into positions that influence the course of events so that his will is done. He raised up enemies for Israel for this purpose. We must always aim at seeing situations from God’s perspective. This is often not seen until we look back on events and see the chain reaction of situations they set in motion. This is seen in the outworking of the lives of such as Joseph and David..

God also uses bad people, by allowing them to succeed in certain ways (at first) because they trigger off events, some of which aid in fulfilling his purposes: consider the effects of Hitler’s career! But most important of all – consider your own calling before God – has he used you? Will there be ways he will do so in the future?
-------
- DC

04 February 2013

Exodus 10
Psalms 64; 65
Romans 15; 16

“THE LORD HARDENED PHARAOH’S HEART”

We may well puzzle about the 3 references in our Exodus chapter [Exodus 10] today - that “the LORD hardened Pharaoh’s heart”. [Exodus 10:1,10,27] Can God blame man for what he himself causes – if that is the way to understand this? Notice how Moses conveys the message to Pharaoh, “Thus says the LORD (Yahweh), the God of the Hebrews; How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me? [Exodus 10:3] A direct challenge to a man who normally exercised total control.

Pharaoh refused to recognise the power of the one and only God, a power that had been well and truly recognised in the time of Joseph. But then we read in Exodus 1:8 “Now there arose a new king over Egypt that did not know Joseph” and the situation started to change. Some words in today’s Psalm 64 are relevant. “… the inward mind and heart of man is deep.” [Psalm 64:6]: the new Pharaoh illustrated this.

To restore the spirit of knowing and fearing the only real God was surely an essential part of the purpose of God in sending the plagues - for the Israelites - as well as for the Egyptians. God saw to it that a Pharaoh was “raised up” whose spirit of mind would be “deep” leading to events that would humble the Egyptians and, at the same time, make for him a ‘name’ that spread far and wide.

There is a parallel to this in Gentile history. When printing was invented, the first book printed in nearly every language was the Bible! This resulted in a wonderful transformation of attitudes, the world became more spiritual; laws were influenced by the principles of the laws in the Bible. The R.C. Church tried to resist this but the reformation movement, fed by the reading of The Bible, spread throughout the world. People at last read for themselves what God had really done and said and expected of human beings.

This reformation movement lost its power in the 20th Century. Today a whole generation exists who have little knowledge of the Bible – with rare exceptions. The stage is set therefore, for God to bring another series of plagues on the earth, to show his power to the world, so that once again people will be aware of the true God.

The Popes became like the Pharaohs, but now take note the final outworking for those who decide there is no Creator. This is graphically described by Paul in his 2nd letter to the Thessalonians. “ … God considers it just to repay (such) with affliction … when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and those who do not obey the Gospel of our Lord …” [2 Thessalonians 1:7-8].

Such have “hardened” their hearts. Let us make sure we “obey” - then we will experience the scene described in the final verse of Psalm 64 “Let the righteous one rejoice in the LORD … Let all the upright in heart exalt.” [Psalm 64:10]
-------
- DC

05 February 2013

Exodus 11; 12
Psalms 66; 67
Mark 1

“IF I HAD CHERISHED …”

The Psalms captured our particular attention this morning, although all the chapters we read were full of drama – arising from – or anticipating - the actions of the Almighty. In Exodus we read of the night of the Passover with the angel of the Lord destroying all the firstborn in Egypt. An incredible outcry followed – how comparable will that be with the chaos at the return of Christ? The time will come, records Isaiah, when “the LORD is enraged against all the nations … he has devoted them to destruction … for the LORD has a day of vengeance, a year of recompense for the cause of Zion.” [isaiah 34:2,8] Zion (Jerusalem) attracts more and more political interest - but the leaders of the nations are blind to “the cause of Zion.”

Today we start reading the Gospel of Mark – and reflected on the impact John the Baptist obviously had when “all the country and all Jerusalem were going out to him and were being baptized by him confessing their sins.” [Mark 1:5] We struggle to imagine the impact of John. It seems only half the story is told, since John did no miracles – what power must have been in his preaching! He laid the foundation for Jesus to build upon, his work was to “Prepare the way of the Lord.” [Mark 1:3] says Mark, quoting Malachi 3:1.

Psalm 66 contains a challenge to sinners; it could be that John used this Psalm in his preaching. “Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for my soul … high praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. But truly God has listened; he has attended to the voice of my prayer.” [Psalm 66:16-19]

How fitting it would be if these words were part of John’s witness and appeal and challenge to those ordinary people who came to him in the wilderness by the Jordon – paving the way for the preaching of Jesus.

Finally, Psalm 67 is a prayer that God’s “way may be known on earth, your saving power among all nations. Let all the peoples praise you O God…” [Psalm 67:2-3] leading to a time when ”the nations …. sing for joy for you judge the peoples with equity (justice) and guide the nations upon earth.” [Psalm 67:4] This short but most meaningful Psalm concludes, “God shall bless us; let all the ends of the earth fear him:.” We can add, ‘when Christ rules.’

Those who really have God’s word in their hearts and feed on it daily will be known and owned by their Lord in that day – for he will know that they have not cherished iniquity in their hearts.
-------
- DC

06 February 2013

Exodus 13; 14
Psalms 68
Mark 2

"BLESSED BE THE LORD WHO DAILY BEARS US UP"

There are interesting parallels between our two Old Testament readings today. Chapters 13 and 14 of Exodus describe the drama of the Israelites’ escape from Egypt. We noted the fear they had when the Egyptians started pursuing them and Moses reassurance that the LORD was in control, they must “Fear not and stand firm” [Exodus 14:13]; their God would complete their deliverance and, in doing so, make a “name” for himself.

Psalm 68 gives us David’s perceptions of how God arises and so enemies are scattered and those who hate God flee before him [Psalm 68:1] which is what happened to Pharaoh’s armies. That David’s words are somewhat inspired by these events is plain from Psalm 68:7. “O God, when you went out before your people, when you marched through the wilderness … the heaven poured down rain, before God, the one of Sinai, before God, the God of Israel”

Then we noted how David had also reflected on situations with individuals, how God watches over them as “Father of the fatherless and protector of widows … God settles the solitary in a home” [Psalm 68:5-6] David would think of the times he was alone when fleeing from Saul, his anxieties of mind, but, ultimately, the realization of God’s protection. Moses could well have had similar thoughts at times in the 40 years before he encountered God at the burning bush.

So David is thinking of himself and other individuals when he writes, “Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation.” [Psalm 68:19] The Lord Jesus also experienced this, the disciples had little ability to bear him up and so, at times, he retreated to the mountains alone as we will read in a few days’ time. [Mark 6:46]. The ultimate time was in Gethsemane before his arrest, “Could you not watch one hour?” followed by special personal advice, “Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation.” [Mark 14:37] As we daily read the Bible – it should have the effect of bringing us closer to God – and as we do this we will sense more and more how he “daily bears us up.”
-------
- DC

07 February 2013

Exodus 15
Psalms 69
Mark 3

“I WILL SING TO THE LORD”

The occasion when we particularly sing with spiritual joy in our hearts is when a new brother or sister emerges from the waters of baptism. Consider then the song “Moses and the people of Israel sang … to the LORD” [Exodus 15]. It is a song about what had just happened, the deliverance of a nation, in reality the birth of a new nation – God’s nation; Paul called it a baptism, see 1 Corinthians 10:1-2.

The song starts, “I will sing to the LORD, for he has triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea. The LORD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation” [Exodus 15:1-2]

What we may overlook is that no one, except a select few, had the ability and opportunity to write at this stage of history. Nearly all those who escaped from Egypt needed to have songs that they could learn off by heart since there was nothing available for the masses of the people to read – even if they could read. Today – it is the opposite – there is too much – and so much of it is ‘junk food’ for the mind.

So today’s chapter gives us the ‘hit song’ of that generation! Imagine the scene painted for us in Exodus 15:20-21. “Then Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a tambourine in her hand, and all the women went out after her with tambourines and dancing. And Miriam sang to them: Sing to the LORD, for he has triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.”

As we read the detail of the song, consider what they sang about! “Your right hand, O LORD, glorious in power … shatters the enemy… You have led in your steadfast love the people whom you have redeemed; you have guided them by your strength” [Exodus 15:6,13] It was a joy, a spirit of positiveness, comparable to the 3,000 that were baptised on the day of Pentecost” [Acts 2:41]

We will read in coming weeks of their failure to maintain their faith in God that they were then praising so joyously. Were the things they were singing about really coming from their hearts? Did their meaning fail to create an inner conviction of faith? Were they only focused on the present.

There is a modern saying that ‘When the going gets tough, the tough get going’! The wilderness was going to provide an awesome challenge: we shall read how the 2 faithful spies, and also most of the Levites proved equal to the challenge, but the majority did not.. A lesson for today?

Our world is more than ever a spiritual wilderness, many politicians are proud of passing ungodly laws. Paul warned the Romans that those who practiced such things as homosexuality [Romans 1:26-27] were “storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed …” [Romans 2:5] Let us “sing to the LORD” from our hearts fully meaning what we sing, longing for the day when “The LORD will reign forever and ever”. Which is how Moses ended his song [Exodus 15:18].
-------
- DC

08 February 2013

Exodus 16
Psalms 70; 71
Mark 4

"HIS FAME SPREAD EVERYWHERE"

We all have probably had the experience of suddenly seeing another side of friend's character that we did not know existed. We then wonder who they really are! Hopefully these are good things we see, but sadly, that is not always the case.

Now consider the experience of the disciples of Jesus, our heading is the question they asked themselves at a time when they had been "filled with great fear" and as a result had said, "Who then is this, that even wind and see obey him?" [Mark 4:41]

We have already read in Mark of Jesus doing many marvellous healings; a paralysed man, a leper, a man with a withered hand, &c, so that "his fame spread everywhere" [Mark 1:28]: yet when he stills the storm and "the wind ceased and there was a great calm" [Mark 4:39] they then asked each other "Who then is this?"

Most of them were fishermen, this miracle occurred in an environment with which they were very familiar. Surely they had learnt when there was a risk of this nature and would not venture out. Matthew, Mark and Luke all record this dramatic event, it was etched in their memory. It is described as "a great windstorm" and the "waves were breaking into the boat." As Jesus dramatically stills the storm, he asks, "Have you still no faith?" [Mark 4:40]

Compare this with what we read today in Exodus 16, there is a challenging parallel! The nation of Israel had witnessed miracles, the plagues, walking through the sea on dry land and the destruction of the Egyptians armies at the hands of their all-powerful God – the one whose name/reputation was being established by these events. As they "grumbled against Moses" because of the lack of food [Exodus 16:2] Moses could have said, "Have you still no faith?"

We have commented several times that in this 21st Century we are travelled in a sinful Godless wilderness. Storms of God's judgements are starting to break out on this world, they are going to get worse. We all need to really get to know our Lord and Master and develop such a measure of faith that makes us certain Jesus is in control whatever may come on this earth. Meditate on James 1:5-8
-------
- DC

09 February 2013

Exodus 17; 18
Psalms 72
Mark 5

THE PRAYERS OF DAVID

The Psalms are divided into 5 books, and today we complete the second, today’s Psalm [Psalm 72] ending with the words, “the prayers of David, the son of Jesse are ended.” There are more Psalms attributed to David later on. The Psalms (the Hymn Book of Israel) are not compiled in the order they were written and at the head of today’s Psalm it says “of (or for) Solomon”

It is probable that David wrote this near the end of his life, probably his last Psalm, as Solomon was ascending the throne. But David, under inspiration, very quickly extends his vision to that of his greater son’s reign, that of Jesus. This Psalm is an incredible picture of the Kingdom of God on earth when Jesus reigns. As we read it we cannot help but contrast it with the kingdoms of men as they are now! As man grows more godless the contrast is becoming more extreme.

Whenever we listen to the news., it is largely an account of trouble and strife – and also moves to pass more laws that contravene God’s laws allowing for behaviour that God has decreed to be evil. In contrast David’s prayer for his son is – “May he judge your people with righteousness, and your poor with justice” [Psalm 72:2]

May our prayers to God be, in taking words from this Psalm “… may he defend the cause of the poor of the people, give deliverance to the children of the needy… in his days may the righteous flourish, and peace abound … may he have dominion from sea to sea … to the ends of the earth … may all kings fall down before him, all nations serve him. May his name endure forever … all nations call him blessed … may the whole earth be filled with his glory! Amen and Amen” [Psalm 72:2,4,7,8,17,19]

When we say “AMEN” let us say it with fervent conviction and desire.
-------
- DC

10 February 2013

Exodus 19; 20
Psalms 73
Mark 6

“GOD HAS COME TO TEST YOU, THAT …”

Almost 2 months elapsed after the people of Israel escaped from Egypt and now “they came into the wilderness of Sinai” [Exodus 19:2] and encamped “before the mountain” [Exodus 19:2] - not any mountain! Most dramatic events followed! We should take special notice of what Moses is told by the LORD to tell the people.

“You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagle’s wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples … you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.” [Exodus 19:4-6] Note that powerful little word IF.

The reaction of the people was very good – to begin with. We read “All the people answered together and said, ‘All that the LORD has spoken we will do.’” [Exodus 19:8] The mountain before them is the holy mountain, the presence of the Lord is there. “There were thunders and lightnings and a thick cloud on the mountain and a very loud trumpet blast so that all the people in the camp trembled” [Exodus 19:16] The mountain “was wrapped in smoke because the LORD descended on it in fire” [Exodus 19:18]

What an utterly awesome experience! “The people were afraid and trembled … Moses said … do not fear, for God has come to test you, that the fear (awe) of him may be before you, that you may not sin.” [Exodus 20:20]

Today we cannot come to the mountain of God, but we can come to His word and meditate upon the many wonders it reveals and the intimacy of its personal message, as in the Psalms.. But we have to do some searching, like those who search for gold. The discovery of that “gold” is seen in the affect the reading of God’s word starts to have so that human sinful attitudes will attract us less and less. This was the effect that the close encounter with God should have had on the Israelites, to forget Egypt, but the affect soon faded with most of them.

The ultimate destiny of the people was to become a “kingdom of priests” to the rest of the world, with the Levites the initial role models. As we read on we will see the wide ranging duties of a priest. This could surprise us, for their role included being administrators, doctors, policemen and the like. The final book of the Bible reveals that true followers of Jesus, the ones that God accepts, will one day become a Kingdom of Priests? The book of Revelation starts by telling believers that Christ has “made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father…” [Revelation 1:6]. With that prospect let us make sure we sense God’s testing in our lives – and prepare for a final testing as this world is awed by events such as it has never experienced before – may our faith endure to the end.(see Matthew 10:22) .
-------
- DC

11 February 2013

Exodus 21
Psalms 74
Mark 7

“A FOOLISH PEOPLE REVILES YOUR NAME”

Our Psalms reading today [Psalm 74] was obviously written when God’s nation was in distress and their temple destroyed. Asaph is a later Psalmist and some of his words are very appropriate to our situation now; the few faithful in Israel were surrounded by scoffers, not dissimilar to what we will soon read in Exodus. Real faith in God is a challenge, the Eternal does not make his presence so evident that there is no need for real faith, but the evidence is there for those who really apply their minds to ‘know’ God.

It is evident Asaph had to cope with a lot of scoffers. He writes, “There is no longer any prophet and there is none among us who knows how long” [Psalm 74:9] Today we also ask, “How long?” He then asks God, “Is the enemy to revile your name for ever?” [Psalm 74:10] The Psalm becomes a petition, “Remember this, O LORD, how the enemy scoffs and a foolish people reviles your name” [Psalm 74:18] So also today, the very existence of God is scoffed at and believers are sometimes reviled, especially in print, also - by implication - on TV. More and more the mass of people accept the idea that they are only the highest form of animal and they evolved through endless accidents of pure chance.

In the generations from when the Bible was available for all to read many nations built up a ‘moral bank balance’ of spirituality – but this ‘balance’ has now all been used – and there are no ‘securities’ available for Governments to borrow against to build up the moral fibre of their people – even if they wanted to!

We note Asaph’s plea to God, “Arise O God, defend your cause; remember how the foolish scoff at you all the day long!” [Psalm 74:23] This is now our plea in prayer to God, and it will become more and more urgent. What kind of answer are we expecting God to give?

The next Psalm gives God’s answer, “At the set time that I appoint I will judge with equity. When the earth totters, and all its inhabitants, it is I who keep steady its pillars” [Psalm 75:2-3] We must not let our faith be undermined by the scoffing of the foolish, indeed we must be increasingly positive drawing on our ‘bank balance’ of scripture strength!

Asaph in yesterday’s Psalm expressed his personal relationship with God, “Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory … there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” [Psalm 73:23-26] May we say ‘Amen’ to that with all our heart.
-------
- DC

12 February 2013

Exodus 22
Psalms 75; 76
Mark 8

“DO YOU NOT REMEMBER?”

The disciples of Jesus were in training – but they did not realize this! Do we? Jesus spoke in parables and they, most of all, were expected to grow in their ability to sense their meaning and lesson. In today’s chapter in Mark [Mark 8] they go in a boat to the other side of Galilee but “they had forgotten to take bread … and he cautioned them saying, ‘Watch out; beware of the leaven of the Pharisees’ …” [Mark 8:14-15]

They do not understand his meaning and “began discussing with one another the fact they had no bread.” [Mark 8:16] Jesus reproves them for their lack of perception in spite of previous experiences.

“Do you not yet perceive or understand? Are your hearts hardened? Having eyes do you not see, and having ears do you not hear? And do you not remember?” [Mark 8:17-18]

He then reminds them of the feeding of the 5 thousand followed by the 4 thousand to make the point that the lack of literal bread was not the problem – it was “the leaven” of the teaching and attitudes of the Pharisees they had to beware of and watch out for. What damage that would cause if attitudes developed in them. The spirit such attitudes produce destroy any chance of faith being able to grow. The Pharisees extolled in their position before men, their glory was in their self-importance!

The seed for this “leaven” to grow was in the hearts of the disciples, it was latent there as we will see in the next chapter when Jesus challenges them “for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest.” [Mark 9:34] Today’s chapter tells us that Jesus “called to him the crowd with his disciples and said to them, ‘If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” [Mark 8:34] There is no intention to do any cross bearing in the hearts of those full of self-importance!

Making our faith evident to others in this ever more sinful world is one way we are likely to create for ourselves a ‘cross’ or two to bear – let us really mark Jesus’ words, “whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him (or her) will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in glory …” [Mark 8:38]

Let us remember the down to earth lessons Jesus taught and become, if we are not already, genuine disciples who listen to his words and perceive what he really means and make them part of our daily thinking and doing.
-------
- DC

13 February 2013

Exodus 23
Psalms 77
Mark 9

"I BELIEVE, HELP MY UNBELIEF"

What did Jesus mean when he said, “All things are possible for one who believes” [Mark 9:23] His remark was made in the context of some of his disciples failing to heal a boy who was suffering from what we would call today, epilepsy. Jesus had been away with his 3 most intimate disciples – his remarkable transfiguration had taken place in their presence on the mountain. In the meantime his remaining disciples had attracted “a great crowd around them” [Mark 9:14] because a man brought his epileptic son in the hope of a healing. He tells Jesus, “I asked your disciples to cast it out, but they were not able” [Mark 9:18]. He then asks Jesus, “if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” [Mark 9:22] Jesus responds, “All things are possible for one who believes.” The father cries out, I believe, help my unbelief!” [Mark 9:24] Jesus then heals the boy.

The father’s cry is one we can resonate with - it seems inevitable there is a limit to our total conviction of faith. The disciples who failed to heal, later “asked him privately, ‘Why could we not cast it out?’ And he said to them, ‘This kind cannot be driven out by anything but prayer.’” [Mark 9:28-29]

They had reason to believe they could heal, we presume, because Jesus earlier “gave them authority” [Mark 6:7] to heal and had sent “them out two by two” to preach and heal and they were successful. [Mark 6:13]

After Jesus ascended to heaven, miraculous gifts were given at Pentecost, initially to the disciples. But, wrote Paul, “they will pass away” [1 Corinthians 13:8] - however 3 things will remain, “faith hope and love abide, these three” [1 Corinthians 13:13] In the end only one will abide – love – because faith and hope will be fulfilled.

It is James in his letter who makes the vital point that “the prayer of faith will save the sick” [James 5:15] and “the prayer of a righteous person has great power in its working” [James 5:16]. James gives Elijah as an example. The ESV gives an alternative translation in a footnote. “The effective prayer of a righteous person has great power,” This is parallel to the wording in the AV

Meditating on the father’s plea (as in our heading) how many times, in desperate situations, have we expressed similar words? Answered prayers are wonderful. Yet, overriding all our prayers is the example of Jesus in his prayers in the garden of Gethsemane, “My Father, if it be possible let … Nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” [Matthew 26:39] Have not all of us expressed the frantic father’s prayer, “I believe, help my unbelief” at some stage in our lives? The end result of our times of trauma, although maybe not immediate, is to sense we are closer to God, that he is more real to us and we receive “help” which on some occasions is quite miraculous.
-------
- DC

14 February 2013

Exodus 24; 25
Psalms 78
Mark 10

"THEY FLATTERED HIM ..."

Can we “flatter” God? Human flattery emerges out of unhealthy attitudes of mind to achieve a fleshly purpose! There are many meaningful lessons to be gleaned from today’s Psalm 78. It surveys the whole history of God’s nation and the good – and not so good – indeed the bad - in their relationship with their God. What is a relationship with God? That’s a question we each need to answer.

The Psalmist draws most of his lessons from their experiences in the wilderness under Moses. Overwhelming evidence had been given to the people – in the way of visual experiences of God in action. Jesus said, “Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required …” [Luke 12:48]

Up to verse 16 the Psalmist makes a summary of the physical evidence they had witnessed of their God in action; of the plagues in Egypt and their exemption from all but the first three; the dramatic Passover night, the drama afterwards and the parting of the waters so they crossed on dry land and then witnessed the drowning of the Egyptians. Then came the provision of water and now, says the Psalmist, “the bread of angels … in abundance” [Psalm 78:25] and “winged birds … and they ate and were well filled” [Psalm 78:27,29]

At this point “the anger of God rose against them … they sought him; they repented and sought God earnestly” [Psalm 78:31,34] But what is their frame of mind as they express repentance and are seeking God? Were they motivated by a sense of love for God? Now to love someone in a genuine way one needs to be in a heartfelt and abiding relationship with them, so what was now the nature of their attitude toward God?

Psalm 78:36-37 tell us, “They flattered him with their mouths; they lied to him with their tongues. Their heart was not steadfast toward him; they were not faithful to his covenant.” So what did God do as a result? Humanly, we would have expected a rejection of them – or at least some form of punishment. But no! The next verse says, “Yet he, being compassionate, atoned for their iniquity and did not destroy them; he restrained his anger often …”

This is the message in the New Testament – to those in the wilderness of this world. God’s all-seeing spirit surrounds us – as it did them in the wilderness. Paul told the Ephesians to “put off your old self … (it) is corrupt through deceitful desires ...” [Ephesians 4:22] Deceitful desires among other things use flattery to achieve deceitful purposes. Paul next says, “and be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God … in true righteousness and holiness.” What challenging thoughts this provokes in our minds. In what way can our “new self” be “in the likeness of God?” This requires the deepest meditation – and the most earnest prayer.
-------
- DC

15 February 2013

Exodus 26
Psalms 79; 80
Mark 11

"BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED ..."

There is a puzzling statement by Jesus in today’s chapter of Mark [Mark 11]. Jesus makes a triumphant entry into Jerusalem creating much speculation. He curses a fig tree and it withers ; Peter expresses astonishment when they see it the next morning [Mark 11:21]. God’s fig tree [Joel 1:7] was to dramatically wither in that generation.

In response to Peter, Jesus simply says, “Have faith in God.” [Mark 11:22] And what a great measure of faith by the faithful was needed as the terrible events Jesus predicted unfolded in and around Jerusalem in that generation..

Now, looking at our situation, what a great measure of faith will be needed amongst us as our world starts falling apart. Jesus foretold that God, while bringing on the world a time of “such tribulation as has not been from the beginning of the creation that God created until now, and never will be. And if the Lord had not cut short the days, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect … he shortened the days.”

These are words, expressed in the ‘tense’ of God’s time and we will read them this Sunday in Mark 13 from verse 19. One day – maybe soon – we will read them with a sense of awed anticipation - mixed with fear – we must then make sure we remember Jesus’ simple but so meaningful answer to Peter, “Have faith in God.”

Next we notice another strange statement by Jesus, “I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” [Mark 11:24] Is the tense wrong here – “you have received” in the past tense? No, the Greek tense, by all accounts is in the past tense, so what does Jesus mean? We conclude he is saying - look at the things you have asked and received in the past! For us, this is both personal and the prophecies we have now seen to be fulfilled and, as a result, we pray with confidence convinced God is in control and he will continue to act.

Finally we noted how the next verse tells us to make sure “whenever you stand praying, forgive … if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.” There will be an even greater need for believers to be in harmony and to “stand praying” – and in every other posture - as our world starts to fall apart.

The Greek word does not mean “stand” in the physical sense, it is the only time this word occurs in the Gospels, but Paul uses it 7 times. Two examples: “Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong” [1 Corinthians 16:13] and “I may hear of you … that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith …” [Philippians 1:27] Let us all be sure and certain that our prayers will be answered because we have past experiences to build upon and we will therefore “stand firm in the faith.”
-------
- DC

16 February 2013

Exodus 27
Psalms 81; 82
Mark 12

"LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR ..."

Can we know some sayings of Jesus too well? It is possible to get to know some things so well that we cease to let them dwell in our thoughts very much – moving on to what we may see as more profound matters. We wonder who the unnamed scribe was who came to Jesus – having heard his fellow scribes were “disputing with one another” after Jesus “answered them well” [Mark 12:28] as we read today. We would like to imagine that he became a disciple – sooner or later.

This scribe asks, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” Jesus says it is, “Here O Israel; The Lord our God, the Lord is one” [Mark 12:29]. But then he states the most important principle in all the Scriptures, “And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and will all your mind and with all your strength.” Draw a breath – and read that again – slowly.

Our world is full of knowledge - of knowing a massive array of facts and information- but they are often far from wise in the way they use that knowledge. How much real love – as Jesus defines it – is there in our world?

Now Jesus most significantly adds a sort of codicil to that first commandment which was not in the commandments given at Sinai that we read last week in Exodus 20. Jesus says, “The second is this; ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’” [Mark 12:31]

This provokes a comment by this scribe who says, “You are right teacher” and he restates what Jesus has said about loving God “with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength” [Mark 12:33] and to “love one’s neighbour as oneself” [Mark 12:33] is of far more value, says the scribe, than offering sacrifices.

Of course there is a reference to the need to love your neighbour ‘buried’ in Leviticus 19:18. Let us recall how James, in his epistle challenges believers, “If you really fulfil the royal law according to the Scripture, ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself, you are doing well’” [James 2:8] What a difference that “royal law” would make to this world – but you cannot “command” love.

Jesus commends this scribes’ wise answer and tells him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God” [Mark 12:34] We must each ask ourselves, ‘Would be say the same to me?’ In searching our hearts to imagine the answer we need to ask, is my knowledge of God only an intellectual one? If we really ‘know’ God then our names are recorded in his book of life and the words of John 17:3 will resonate in our minds.
-------
- DC

17 February 2013

Exodus 28
Psalms 83; 84
Mark 13

“IN WHOSE HEART ARE THE HIGHWAYS TO …”

Today we travel on highways, freeways and motorways. Different countries call them different names. These allow us to travel at speed to our destinations.

Our thoughts “raced” along these lines as we read Psalm 84 and the words he addressed to God, “Blessed are those whose strength is in you and in whose heart are the highways to Zion” [Psalm 84:5] Let us all create a “highway” in our heart for godly thoughts and then the distractions of this godless world can be more easily brushed aside. The Psalmist continues, “They go from strength to strength, each one appears before God in Zion.” [Psalm 84:7].

This is an exhilarating picture of strength that grows in those who have developed the right kind of highway in their hearts! They will reach a wonderful eternal destination, one beyond our imagining.

Sadly we see around us, more and more examples of those who have developed the wrong kind of highways in their hearts. Almost as bad are those who try to maintain two kind of highways! One makes more noise than the other – and so ends up getting more and more use!

We notice the humble ambition of the Psalmist. “I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness” [Psalm 84:10] Some, in their youth, have great ambitions for their lives, but sadly we hear and read too many examples of those who sacrifice principles and integrity in their efforts to achieve them. They will realize, probably too late, that their highway has really been directed toward Mammon instead of toward Zion.

But the Psalmist would rather be a doorkeeper! And what a privilege that would be! Imagine being a doorkeeper in God’s house of prayer for all nations [Mark 11:17] What experiences! What a privilege!

Finally, let us absorb the meaning of the words that are used to end this Psalm. “… the LORD is a sun and a shield; the LORD bestows favour and honour. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. O LORD of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you.”

Can you feel the warmth of the Sun and the protection of the Shield the Lord provides? Let us feed constantly on his word, it will provide the motive force for our hearts as we head towards Zion – and how much more will this be needed as that destination gets closer – but the distractions greater! .
-------
- DC

18 February 2013

Exodus 29
Psalms 85; 86
Mark 14

“MY BLOOD OF THE COVENANT”

In the Old Testament in Exodus [Exodus 29] we read how Moses ordained Aaron as High Priest and all the sacrifices of animals that were involved in doing this. By comparison, in the New Testament we read about the institution by Jesus of “my blood of the covenant” [Mark 14:24] which replaced all the sacrifices that were ordained through Moses. God’s Son was offered as a once only sacrifice so that he became the one and only High Priest forever bringing to an end the Law ordained through Moses. Hebrews 8 describes this and the establishment of “a new covenant” [Hebrews 8:8,13].

The first covenant and its associated laws were designed for the nation of Israel, for their national worship. The “new covenant” is for each person individually for their personal relationship with things divine. When this is established through their baptism “into his death” (see Romans 6:3-4) they must then practice “the new covenant” together with others; it creates a unique bond of fellowship the world cannot even begin to appreciate.

The principles established by the law through Moses were completed in the sacrifice of Christ – at the same time the new covenant was introduced – described in Hebrews 13:20 as ”the blood of the eternal covenant.”

Today’s chapter in Mark shows us how Jesus provoked heart searching in his followers by saying, “one of you will betray me” [Mark 14:18] causing each one to ask, “Is it I?” [Mark 14:19] The ritual of the original law, especially as the Jews practised it, did not create enough personal searching of the heart. Today the same mistake is made when ritual and ceremony develops that distorts the simple act of the “new covenant” that Jesus instituted. Paul writes in a most impassioned way about the heart searching that is needed when the new covenant is observed – for it is an act of fellowship with their Lord and with each other - read 1 Corinthians 11:23-32.

Today’s reading of Psalm 86, ascribed to David, is remarkably appropriate: how special is the prayer he is offering to God! “Teach me thy way O LORD that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name. I give thanks to you O Lord my God with my whole heart” [Psalm 86:11-12] This is exactly what Jesus wanted his disciples to do. It is exactly what he expects from all those who seek to have a true and spiritually wonderful individual relationship with him. May all those reading this have that aim in their minds.
-------
- DC

19 February 2013

Exodus 30
Psalms 87; 88
Mark 15; 16

"THAT WE MAY SEE AND BELIEVE"

What causes belief – real conviction? Well, it depends what you want to believe; what you need to believe! If someone cries ‘Fire’ – you lose no time in acting to verify the cry is genuine – and seeing what you can possibly do in helping to put it out.

Our thoughts were triggered along these lines as we read today in Mark 15 that “the chief priests and scribes mocked him to one another, saying, ‘He saved others; he cannot save himself. Let the Christ, the King of Israel, come down now from the cross that we may see and believe” [Mark 15:31-32]

These men had witnessed – or had had first-hand testimony of his remarkable miracles! When he raised Lazarus they had “made plans to put Lazarus to death as well, because on account of him many of the Jews were …. believing in Jesus.” [John 12:10-11] Their minds were locked into a certain way of thinking – like a race horse – they had ‘blinkers’ on their eyes. And isn’t it the same today; especially as more and more marvellous miracles of nature are discovered – they still say – all that exists is a result of pure chance – given enough ‘endless’ time!

Mark 15:39 tells us that “the centurion who stood facing him” witnessing the incredible events at his death, and “saw that in this way he breathed his last, he said, ‘Truly this man was the Son of God.’” Recall how several Roman Centurions had contact with Jesus and his miracles with significant impact on them (e.g. Matthew 8:5-13) Now Roman history shows that there were so many Christians in Rome by AD64 that Nero put hundreds to death (see Tacitus) – astonishing – but may not returning Centurions and soldiers be a factor in this?

The disciples, apart from John [John 19:26-27], had disappeared, their uncertain faith shattered, but Mark records that “there were also other women looking on from a distance (and names three) … and there were also many other women who came up with him to Jerusalem.” [Mark 15:40,41]

In Mark 16 we read of 3 who came to the tomb “very early on the first day of the week” [Mark 16:2] to anoint his body: those who sought to do something for Jesus were the first to believe. And us? Do we really believe? Jesus told his disciples just before he ascended, to “proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptised will be saved.” [Mark 16:15-16] “Whoever believes?” What is the quality – the absolute conviction – that amounts to genuine belief? Each individual must discover that for themselves: their lives thereafter will be different – and when they sing, “Take my life and let it be, ever only all for thee” - they will mean it.
-------
- DC

20 February 2013

Exodus 31; 32
Psalms 89
1 Corinthians 1; 2

"WHERE IS THE ONE WHO IS WISE?"

Today we began reading Paul’s letters to the Corinthians. Corinth was a centre of Greek learning and Greek wisdom. Winning converts was a challenge - a quite different kind of challenge to winning converts among the Jews. Today’s world with its atheism and humanism is yet another kind of challenge – yet there are parallels – and what Paul wrote applies just as much. “The word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” [1 Corinthians 1:18] – this applies in every situation. The meaning of the cross, once grasped, creates the power of thought to change lives!

The sacrifice of Christ is senseless in the minds of those who are not seeking real spirituality in their outlook on life. In 1 Corinthians 1:19 Paul quotes God’s words through Isaiah (in Isaiah 29:14) “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.” Human wisdom has been thwarted by God, in every age and every culture, the 21st Century is not going to be any different..

Paul asks, “Where is the one who is wise?” and then makes the point, “Since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through (its’) wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but …” And what a vital ‘but’ that little word is! “but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.” [1 Corinthians 1:24]

What wisdom we can read in Matthew’s gospel of the teaching of Christ – what a challenge to practice what he taught, as recorded in Matthew 5; 6; 7 – generally called ‘The Sermon on the Mount.’ No human author could have invented Christ as a fictional character and put such teaching in his mouth. Those who are “called” show their ‘calling’ by whole heartedly responding to such teaching.

Paul tells the Corinthians “I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.” [1 Corinthians 2:2] He then makes the point, “among the mature we do impart wisdom, although it is not a wisdom of this age … but we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, which God decreed before the ages for our glory. None of the rulers of this age understood this, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.” [1 Corinthians 2:6-8] The Old Testament is the repository of such wisdom..

Let us search out – more and more - the “wisdom of God” and develop more and more a genuine love for God, Paul says, “it is written, ‘… no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him’” [1 Corinthians 2:9] True wisdom is the outcome of a genuine love for God; may we be filled with wisdom – and daily feed on “the wisdom of God.”
-------
- DC

21 February 2013

Exodus 33; 34
Psalms 90; 91
1 Corinthians 3

"PLEASE SHOW ME YOUR GLORY"

The life story of Moses is remarkable, only after being a shepherd for 40 years in Midian was he called by God to serve him. He then had the drama of the plagues and his inter-action with Pharaoh. The dramatic crossing of the Red Sea and the quaking mountain and 40 days on the summit are naturally seen as the highlights of his life story. But something totally special was in store for him and we read of this today in Exodus 33; 34.

The Lord commands them to leave Sinai, God sees the masses encamped there as “a stiff necked people” [Exodus 33:3]. Yesterday we read “the LORD said to Moses, ‘Whoever has sinned I will blot out of my book.’” [Exodus 32:33] When Moses went into his tent “the pillar of cloud would descend … Thus the LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend” [Exodus 33:9,11]

Moses says to the LORD, “If I have found favour in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you in order to find favour in your sight. Consider too that this nation is your people.” [Exodus 33:13] The LORD answers, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” [Exodus 33:13,14] The A V has ‘give thee rest’ – the promised “rest” only applied to Moses.

There follows a remarkable request. “Moses said, ‘Please show me your glory.’ The answer is most thought provoking, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The LORD.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.” [Exodus 33:18,19] Moses is made to stand in the “cleft of a rock” until the LORD has passed by, but Moses is not allowed to see his face.

But the greater cause for our meditation is the declaration of his name. In one sense God’s name, as with our name, is the reputation we develop and display.

Moses goes up on the mountain for a second 40 days [Exodus 34:28] and again “The LORD passed before him and proclaimed, ‘The LORD, the LORD, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger; and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness … ” [Exodus 34:5,6,] The glory of character is far greater in meaning than physical glory.. Remember Isaiah’s prophecy about Jesus that he would have “no beauty that we should desire him.” [isaiah 53:2] – yet all human portraits make him handsome with flowing golden hair!

Let us each meditate as to how we would respond – if asked to show our glory! How we feel we can genuinely answer this request - will one day be reflected in the kind of “rest” we will receive.
-------
- DC

22 February 2013

Exodus 35
Psalms 92; 93
1 Corinthians 4; 5

"EVERYONE WHOSE HEART STIRRED HIM"

The drama of Moses in the mountain and then in dealing with those who made the golden calf is now in the past. We read today of preparations for making the Tabernacle: everyone had brought away from Egypt items of value - remember what you read in Exodus 12:35-36! “They plundered the Egyptians.”

Moses appeals to the people, “Whoever is of a generous heart, let him bring the LORD’s contribution: gold, silver, and bronze …yarns and fine twined linen …” [Exodus 35:5] These will be the source materials needed to make the Tabernacle. The people “departed from the presence of Moses. And they came, everyone whose heart stirred him, and everyone whose spirit moved him, and brought the LORD’s contribution to be used for the tent of meeting, and for all its service, and for the holy garments. And so they came, both men and women. All who were of a willing heart …” [Exodus 35:20-22]

We will read in Exodus 36 that Moses is told, “The people bring much more than enough …” [Exodus 36:5]; so many willing hearts! Now this was not tithing, these were freewill offerings. The institution of tithing is detailed in the next 3 books of Moses, see for example Deuteronomy 14:22-29. Tithing was for the running costs of the nation: the Levites duties were wide ranging being required to act as medicos, policemen, administration, etc., tithing was the income tax of the nation. The functioning of the tabernacle was the responsibility of Aaron and his sons and close relatives.

Many ‘Christian’ organisations demand tithes of their flock, claiming the Bible advocates this – and many become really wealthy - and its tax free! ‘Hillsong’ is an ugly example! But there is no basis in God’s word for Christians to practice tithing - the evidence is all the other way! There will be evidence of this when we come to Paul’s 2nd letter to the Corinthians next month. Paul writes of the attitude of the believers in Macedonia “in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity … they gave … beyond their means of their own freewill …” [2 Corinthians 8:2-3] “Each one must give as he has made up his mind, not … under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” [2 Corinthians 9:7]

Equally important is for believers to show the heart felt sincerity of their commitment to Christ by giving of their time and their abilities in different areas of service for Christ. Can it be that some, well blessed in the needs of this life, think that it is enough to be very generous when the collection bags come round and appeals are made – but that is all they do! We must each let our hearts stir us to use our talents (not just finances) in the service of the Lord wherever he creates opportunities for us – and there are many of them.
-------
- DC

23 February 2013

Exodus 36
Psalms 94; 95
1 Corinthians 6

"WHEN THE CARES OF MY HEART ARE MANY ..."

What a personally stirring Psalm we have today in Psalm 94. The name of the Psalmist is not given but it “feels” very much like one of David’s. “When I thought, ‘My foot slips,’ your steadfast love, O LORD, held me up. When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.” [Psalm 94:18-19]

One of our greatest consolations come when we read God’s word every day and share our thoughts and fellowship with others who do the same. The next verse asks an interesting question, “Can wicked rulers be allied with you, those who frame injustice by statute?” The answer is plain in the verses which follow – but today, not only injustice, but ungodly living is framed and allowed and put into the statute book of many nations – many of whom used to be relatively godly.

In our chapter today in 1 Corinthians, Paul bluntly tells the believers there, “Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, not idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.” [1 Corinthians 6:9-10]

Paul later states, “the body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ?” [1 Corinthians 6:13-15]

Now there is an even greater factor to put this alongside that last statement! Paul asks, “… do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God? You are not your own …” [1 Corinthians 6:19]

Once again the broad and narrow paths are spelt out for us – and what they mean in practice. But meditate on the ways in which we are not our own, it also means, we suggest, we are not alone, “for ‘In him we live and move and have our being’” [Acts 17:28] which is what Paul told the Athenians of the God that was unknown to them..

We come back to the last 2 verses of our Psalm and it’s powerful concluding declaration, “But the LORD has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge. He will bring back on them their iniquity and wipe them out for their wickedness; the LORD our God will wipe them out.” [Psalm 94:22-23]

Do you have cares in your heart? What has become – or is becoming – your stronghold?
-------
- DC

24 February 2013

Exodus 37
Psalms 96; 97; 98; 99
1 Corinthians 7

"TO SECURE YOUR UNDIVIDED DEVOTION TO THE LORD"

Today’s chapter in Paul’s letter to the Corinthians gives his views about specific situations occurring there. However, it contains principles which apply to believers of all ages. He is responding to “matters about which you wrote” [1 Corinthians 7:1] and his words are like hearing one side of a conversation. Corinth was a very immoral city and its idolatry and fleshly living created many problems and has many parallels with today. The believers had been actively part of all this until they committed themselves to follow the way of Christ.

They are commended to be faithful in their marriages, to avoid divorce and to be content with their situation in life, even if they were still slaves. [1 Corinthians 7:20-21] “I want you to be free from anxieties,” he writes, “to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.” [1 Corinthians 7:35].

Maintaining marriage relationships are most important says Paul, he makes the point, “because of temptations to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband … do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self control” [1 Corinthians 7:2,5]

This reference to a Satan is to human tempters, just as, at one stage, Peter was a Satan to Jesus, as we read earlier this month in Mark 8:33. At that stage Peter’s attitude was all wrong, similarly, many of the converts in Corinth would have contact with individuals whose values were all wrong and could prompt ungodly thoughts in them. So it is with us today – indeed - more and more. We have to say, at least in thought, “Get behind me Satan.”

Today some criticise Paul, suggesting he is against marriage, even a woman hater! This is most unfair; he writes, “I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own gift from God, one of one kind, one of another … it is better to marry than to be aflame with passion.” [1 Corinthians 7:7,9] There were problems because some who had accepted Christ were married to unbelieving partners. The believer should not seek a divorce. The believer should seek to influence the unbeliever to accept Christ, “but if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so.” [1 Corinthians 7:15] writes Paul.

Paul sensed that Corinth was facing an imminent crisis, just as we sense that this world is heading downhill with increasing rapidity - for that reason there are many points in this chapter which have special relevance to today and the need for us all “to secure” our “undivided devotion to the Lord.”
-------
- DC

25 February 2013

Exodus 38
Psalms 100; 101
1 Corinthians 8; 9

"IF ANYONE LOVES GOD, HE IS KNOWN BY GOD"

Love is, above all, an active quality; genuine love causes us to do things: it motivates our heart. Now, the things love causes us to do are not things we do out of a sense of obligation, there should not be occasions when we say, “I suppose I had better do …” especially when it comes to serving the Lord.

Our meditations followed these lines as we read the start of 1 Corinthians 8. 1 Corinthians 8:3 tells us, “But if anyone loves God , he (or she) is known by God.” When God, who sees all things through his spirit [Psalm 139:1-6] knows that our professions of love for him come right from our hearts - we are “known by God.” But this is more than a one sided sense of knowing, to truly know God results in a two-way relationship, David’s Psalms show this, we read this morning, “Know that the LORD, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his” [Psalm 100:3]

We read a few days ago in Exodus, “Moses said to the LORD … you have said, ‘I know you by name … therefore if I have found favour in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you …” [Exodus 33:12-13]

Knowing God comes through knowing his ways; leading to the realization that we are “working together with him” [2 Corinthians 6:1]. One of the wonders of this, Paul told the Corinthians, is to realize that “God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” [1 Corinthians 10:13]

Many believers in Corinth experienced temptations to continue to enjoy the fleshly advantages of attending idol temples and feasting there on the food that had been offered to the idols. The idol worshippers saw this food as special because it had been blessed by Temple priests: we have seen this happening in Indian temples.

It is not difficult to see the modern equivalents, especially in prosperous countries in the things that the masses idolize. In Corinth athletic sports were idolized, it is no different today – people call them ‘Stars’ – reflect on how much idolizing happens! .

Finally we noted Paul’s point – “Every athlete exercises self control … they do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable” [1 Corinthians 9:25] He tells believers, “So run that you may obtain it … I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.” [1 Corinthians 9:24,27]

Disqualified! How can we safeguard against that? Does not the ‘oil’ which ‘lubricates’ all our understanding and ways of thinking result in success in our efforts to “run” effectively? This is the reality of our love for God: supported by our reading of God’s word: these provide the awareness that we are “known” by God. Loving God creates our inner strength. How “real” is your love?
-------
- DC