Preaching the Truth

PreachingTheTruthBrown.jpg

PREACHING THE TRUTH

William H. Brown

A Narrative Reciting the Experiences of a Christadelphian Preaching

“The Truth as it is in Jesus”

FOREWORD

Though fictitious names are given to the characters portrayed in this account of preaching the truth, the story itself is based on fact. It records a drama that has taken place many times in different parts of the world as Christadelphians have attempted to set forth to their friends the teaching of the Bible with its wonderful hope of the future reign of Christ on earth.

Who are the Christadelphians? They are a lay movement with no paid ministry. Each member is expected to understand the Bible, and set forth its teaching in a humble manner. They do not profess to have received any new revelation, but hold that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are able to make wise unto salvation (2 Timothy 3:15,17). Believing in the Divine authority of the Bible, they think it only reasonable to eschew any interpretation thereof which fails to harmonise all the testimonies of the Holy Scripture; and finding that the creeds of the various sects around are, in a great variety of ways, opposed to the direct teaching of the Bible, they feel compelled to stand apart, making appeal in all such matters to the statements of Scripture, and testing all creeds thereby. By so doing they attempt to preach the truth with the object of sharing with others their glorious expectations in Christ.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CHAPTER ONE

Newcomers to Drearyville

The little town of Drearyville was aroused from its usual comatose state some time ago by the introduction of a new family into its quiet domain. This was an unusual occurrence in Drearyville, where the only changes in population were such as were caused by the births and deaths in the community.

The new family consisted of Paul Stephanas, his wife, Mary. and their three children, two boys and a girl.

Mr. Stephanas had come to Drearyville to take the place of the village mechanic who had been removed by death. Little did the townspeople realise the effect that the introduction of this Stephanas family into their midst was to have upon their social and religious equanimity.

For a few days the newcomers were busy getting “settled” in their new home and adjusting themselves to their new surroundings.

The position of village mechanic was one that brought Mr. Stephanas into daily contact with many of the villagers, who manifested that inquisitiveness which is the proverbial heritage of “country folk.”

They found Paul Stephanas to be a sober-minded man with a definite aim in life and with deep-seated, clean-cut convictions on matters of morality and religion.

One of the first things noticed by those who frequented his shop was that he neither smoked nor chewed tobacco. This was so different from his predecessor, who had been an inveterate smoker. Some of them ventured to ask him why he did not use tobacco; the answer which they received gave them much food for reflection and set them talking among themselves about the peculiarities of the new mechanic.

His answer was somewhat like this: “You ask me why I do not use tobacco. Well, it is simply because I am a believer of the Bible and a follower of Christ; in fact, the chief aim of my life is to learn from day to day to become more perfect in the keeping of his commandments in the hope that I may be approved by him when he comes, and receive great reward. Now among the commandments I find this one (2 Cor. 7:1). ‘Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit perfecting holiness in the fear of God.’ I consider the use of tobacco a ‘filthiness of the flesh;’ in fact, it is so much so that the railroad companies and others find it necessary to keep those who indulge in it in a car by themselves while in transit, and in separate waiting rooms at their stations. Manifestly it is not a habit that would commend us to God and we cannot indulge in it consistently while we profess to cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit.”

This kind of talk had a strange sound to these men whose sole ambition was to enjoy life, keep up a good appearance, and increase their possessions.

They were not accustomed to hearing talks about God the Bible and the Commandments from the man who shod their horses and repaired their wagons and implements. They had always associated such things with an unpleasant hour which established custom compelled them to spend at the village church on Sunday. But here was a man who associated it with his daily life. who used his religion to regulate his habits and actions, and who intermingled talk about God and Christ and six the Bible with the ring of the anvil and the roar of the bellows. To say they were surprised is to put it mildly. Greater surprises, however, were in store for them, for they were about to learn that the Bible was not merely a text book from which the parson could obtain texts for sermons, but that it was a book that could enter into the lives and mould the characters of men in the humblest walks of life. They were also about to learn that Gospel preaching is not confined to the wearers of the surplice and ecclesiastical vestments.

One evening a short time after their removal to Drearyville, Paul Stephanas sat by the open fireplace at home, in a deeply thoughtful mood; the family “Bible reading,” which was a daily part of their life, had been finished. Mrs. Stephanas had just put the children to bed and resumed her place at the fireside to enjoy their usual evening chat which could only be enjoyed when slumber had silenced the voices and stopped the pattering feet of the children.

When they were comfortably settled before the blazing log in the grate, Paul opened the conversation.

“You know, Mary,” he said, “ever since we came here I have been trying to think of some good way to enlighten the people around us with a knowledge of the Truth. I feel my responsibility in this matter keenly, not only from the standpoint of duty, but also from a feeling of love for my fellowmen.”

“I feel the same way about it,” interrupted Mary, “and I often think of that hymn which has one verse in which these words occur:

“‘You who have the Truth received,

By God’s grace to you revealed,

Should you dare to keep it back

You the rich reward may lack.’”

“That’s the idea exactly,” said Paul, “we dare not, nor do we desire to keep it back, and so I have arranged to have the school house on Saturday nights for a few weeks to preach the gospel. I suppose they will consider me presumptuous and conceited, but I cannot help that; the Master knows it is not so. I have arranged to have some cards printed inviting the people to come and hear. The cards will be here tomorrow morning. I shall be glad if you will take them to the school house and give them to the children as they leave school, asking them to take them home to their parents.”

“All right, Paul,” said Mary, “I will be only too glad to have a share in the good work.”

Next morning the cards arrived, neatly printed and bearing seven an invitation to the lecture in the schoolhouse on Saturday night.

They were worded as follows:

A GOOD TIME COMING ON THE EARTH

Lecture by Paul Stephanas

At the School House

Saturday Night

Admission Free - No Collection

All Welcome

Mrs. Stephanas took the cards and went down to the school house in the afternoon and waited until the children, freed from their tasks for the day, with gleeful voices came bounding out into the pleasant spring atmosphere. The cards were delivered with a kindly admonition to be sure and take them home to their parents.

CHAPTER TWO

Paul’s Public Address

The cards created that interest and curiosity which is usually manifested in a country town toward any new departure from established custom. It was indeed something new to the townspeople to be invited to a lecture to be delivered by an ordinary mechanic. The subject also puzzled them and became the subject of discussion at the village grocery, which was a kind of forum for the discussions of the village news, or any question that arose in the town. The matter was discussed also at the mothers’ meeting and the sewing circle, and, needless to say, before the end of the week there was not a soul in the village who had not heard about the lecture to be given by the village blacksmith. Saturday night, therefore, found the little schoolhouse filled to its capacity. No doubt many, perhaps the great majority, were there out of mere curiosity. But what of that? Curiosity often leads to investigation, and investigation you know is “the right arm of knowledge.”

When the time to commence had arrived Paul Stephanas stepped upon the platform and asked the audience to rise while he invoked a blessing from the Giver of good and acceptable gifts. He then opened his well worn Bible and read the seventy-second Psalm, after which he proceeded to the delivery of his lecture.

It was characterised by simplicity of language and plainness of speech. Evidently the man was not there to show off any ability he might possess. He attempted no flights of oratory; he used words as he used his tools in the shop: for utility rather than for ornament. He had a story to tell and he told it in a straightforward, simple manner, and yet there was a kindness of tone, a fervent earnestness and an evident humility that made the audience feel that they were being addressed by a friend rather than a teacher. The lecture in part was as follows:-

“Friends and neighbours: I am afraid you may think me conceited for presuming to stand before you to deliver a lecture. But I want you to know before I begin that I do not come before you as an orator to deliver a learned discourse, nor to pose as a teacher to instruct you. But I have called you together to invite you to a greater gathering which is to take place in the earth in the not far distant future, when the greatest personage the world has ever known is going to gather his friends together to a royal feast and is going to present them with gifts such as he alone can give. I have been invited to this feast and have been asked to pass the invitation along. The lecture, as we have called it, will simply be a brief description of what this great gathering is, where it is. when it is to take place, and who the Great Personage is who is to be at the head of it. The little cards by which you were invited here indicate broadly where it is to be. We have called it ‘a good time coming on the earth.’ And truly it will be the greatest time this old earth has ever experienced. Pardon me, friends for asking the question, but are you aware that each one of you have in your homes a full description and a personal invitation to take part in this grand good time? Well, you have. You will find it in your family Bible.

“Friends and neighbours, please don’t get offended, but you know just as well as I do that the Bible is read but very little and that it is regarded chiefly as a book of golden texts by which we are supposed to prepare ourselves for the time when we are supposed to leave this vale of tears for realms above, and that by and by God is going to make a great bonfire out of this old earth. But oh, what a different story this dear old book tells for itself if we will only listen to it. Now I am going to ask you to listen while it speaks to you, or rather while God speaks to you through it.

“Away back 3,500 years ago, God began to tell us about this good time to come on the earth. On one occasion when speaking to Moses, He said: ‘As truly as I live all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord.’ (Num. 14:21). Now you know that has never taken place as yet. If the earth was filled with God’s glory we would not see around us the sorrow, the suffering, the crime and the sin that now exists. None of these things have yet come to pass, but as all God’s promises are sure to be fulfilled we know that it is coming and that the whole earth will be filled with His glory. But let us get down to more practical things and see just what these things mean. In order to see just what this good time will mean we must look around us at the condition that now prevails in the earth. If you could go to one of our large cities you could see in one part of the city the magnificent residences, and all the pomp and grandeur of those ten who have all that the heart can desire; while in another part of the city you may see the hovels, the alleyways, the cellars and the attics which form the homes of poverty. And if you were to look into these places you would see the pinched and drawn faces of those who barely succeed in the struggle for existence. There is a great cry arising from the groaning millions who feed upon the crumbs that fall from the bountiful tables of the rich. Do you think God hears this cry? Listen! ‘Go to now ye rich men weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you. Your riches are corrupted and your garments are moth eaten. Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days. Behold the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields which is of you kept back by fraud crieth; and the cries of them that reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth’ (Jas. 5:1-4). These are the words of God recorded in His book. He heareth the cry of the poor. How will He answer? Why that is part of the good time coming on the earth, the poor are to be taken care of, the oppressor is to cease. Turn with me to that Psalm read to you tonight (72nd Psalm). Let us read those opening verses, ‘Give the King thy judgments, O God, and thy righteousness unto the King’s son.’ Now this King is the Great Personage who is to be Master of Ceremonies at that great day. Well, what will He do when God hands over His judgments to Him? Listen! ‘He shall judge thy people with righteousness and thy poor with judgment.’ Fourth verse - ‘He shall judge the poor of the people, He shall save the children of the needy and shall break in pieces the oppressor.’ Verse twelve - ‘For He shall deliver the needy when he crieth, the poor also and him that hath no helper.’

“We can see then that the good time which is coming on the earth is to be characterised by a kindly regard for the poor and him that hath no helper on the part of the King, who will reign at that time.

“This is the time spoken of in the 113th Psalm where we read ‘He (God) raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth the needy out of the dunghill; that He may set him with princes even the princes of His people.’

“Mary, the mother of Jesus speaking prophetically of this good time says: ‘He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich He hath send empty away.’

“Now these statements and a good many more that might be brought forward all help to prove beyond the shadow of a eleven doubt that there is a good time coming when the curse of oppression and abject poverty will be removed from the groaning masses of the poor; and when they will be able to turn their attention from the struggle for existence and lift their heads to the Source and Giver of all good and say with the Psalmist - ‘It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and sing praises unto Thy Name. O Most High; to show forth Thy loving kindness in the morning, and Thy faithfulness in the night, for Thou Lord has made me glad through Thy work; I will triumph in the works of Thy hands.’

“One of the greatest pleasures to be enjoyed in that day of good things is the worship of God under circumstances that will make it a real pleasure because it will be free from the distractions and evil conditions that attend it at present. Zechariah tells us, ‘it shall come to pass that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of Hosts and to keep the Feast of Tabernacles.’ This means that the people of every nation on earth from Greenland’s icy mountains to India’s coral strands will make a yearly pilgrimage to Jerusalem to worship the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Think what a glorious time this will be, when men shall leave their farms and daily employment and with their wives and families will go off together for a grand holiday and journey over land and sea to the city of the great King. The Prophet Ezekiel tells us of the most magnificent temple the world has ever seen which is to be erected at Jerusalem to accommodate the worshippers who will flow unto it from every part of the world.

“In that day there will be only one religion because men will be taught by those whom God has appointed. The spirit that will animate the people throughout the world in that day is beautifully expressed by the Prophet Micah in his fourth chapter in the following words - ‘Many nations shall come and say. Come and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob and He will teach us of his ways and we will walk in his paths, for the law shall go forth from Zion and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.’ You see there is a note of real pleasure in this. It is not the expression of people compelled to do a thing against their will. They do not say - ‘O well, I suppose I will have to go.’ O no! it is ‘Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord,’ It is a joyous, spontaneous suggestion arising from the hearts of people who anticipate the doing of it with sincere pleasure. Zechariah speaks of this same spirit among the people. He says, ‘And the inhabitants of one city shall go to another saying, ‘Let us go speedily to pray before the Lord.’ - Zech. 8:21.

“So you see this is to be a real good time; a time when men will no longer spend their lives in the headlong rush after money and pleasure or in the mere struggle for existence, but will take time to think of the Creator, and their sweetest pleasure will be found in His worship and service.

“Then there are conditions that exist today that will be abolished under that glorious order of things. For instance, war will be abolished, for we are told ‘nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more’ - Isa. 2:4; Micah 4:3. Surely this will add to the peace and happiness of the earth’s inhabitants and be conducive of that quietness and assurance that are to characterise that glorious day.

“Then again the tenure of mortal life will be lengthened, for we are told that ‘There shall be no more thence an infant of days nor an old man that hath not filled his days, for the child shall die an hundred years old, but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed’ - Isa. 65:20. We can easily see how this can be, for the ‘wise man’ tells us that, as righteousness tendeth to life so he that pursueth evil pursueth it to his own death-Prov. 11:19.

“Now concerning this good time that is coming the Prophet says - When Thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants will learn righteousness - Isa. 26:9. When men walk in the paths of righteouness they will not only be likely to have a longer tenure of existence, but their lives will be sweeter and better and more enjoyable.

“Another feature of this good time that is coming on the earth is the fruitfulness of the earth. Now you who work on the farm know the labour there is to get your ground to yield a crop that will pay expenses, but in this great and blessed day that is coming we are told by the prophet - ‘Behold the days come saith the Lord that the ploughman will overtake the reaper and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed’ - Amos 9:13. And we are told that the earth is to yield her increase and the curse which is now upon the ground causing thorns and thistles to grow everywhere is to be removed and instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree - Ezekiel 34:27; Isa. 55:13. These things are spoken particularly concerning the Land of Israel, but there seems every indication that similar conditions are to exist all over the earth.

“It is the anticipation of these things that causes the Psalmist to say - ‘O let the nations be glad and sing for joy’ - Psalm 67:4. ‘Make a joyful noise unto God all ye lands; sing forth the honour of His name; make His praise glorious.’ - Psalm 66:1-2. But we cannot tell you at this time all that is to take place, nor the many blessings that are to fill the cup of the happy people who shall form the earth’s population in that glorious day. We have said enough to show that the dark cloud of sin and sorrow that now hangs over our earth’s groaning millions will be replaced one of these days by the sunshine of God’s blessing which shall cause sorrow and sighing to flee away.

“These things of which we have been speaking tonight are not the greatest or most important things that are to characterise that happy time; they are in fact the least important: but they are the things we first see, that first appeal to us when we look into the matter, and they are glorious facts that must be taken into consideration. These good things to which we have called your attention are mostly things that are to be enjoyed by the inhabitants of the earth who are alive at the time that these things take place. But suppose we should die before these things come to pass; what then? Will we have no part in this glorious time that is coming on this earth? Well, whether we will or not depends upon our present attitude toward God and His word. We have reserved this part of our subject for another discourse, and if the Lord wills next Saturday night we will tell you how all these thing are to be brought about and how you and I may so arrange our lives at the present that when that glorious time arrives we shall be among those who share in its blessings.”

The lecturer then invited those present to come again on the following Saturday and stated that he would be glad to talk with any who might be interested at the close of the meeting: also that his home was open at any time to receive and talk with those who wished to look into these matters. The meeting was then closed with a few appropriate words of prayer. The lecturer hastened to the back of the room to shake hands and talk with as many as possible before they left the room.

There was the usual variety of expression and lack of expression from those who made up the audience. There were those who watched for the opportunity to pass out while the lecturer was busy talking with some one. Then there was the inanimate handshake which was performed entirely by the lecturer. Who has not experienced this lifeless handshake: in which the ones who you greet graciously consent to permit you to lift the dead weight of their arms up and down once or twice while they wait patiently until you are through.

There were, however, some real living beings present and their hearty, vigorous handshake was accompanied by their expression of approval or disapproval as the case might be. On the whole the audience was at a loss to know how to express themselves appropriately because it was an entirely new experience to them.

There was one young man in the audience however who seemed to be more deeply interested than all the rest. His name was Timothy Berea: he waited until the others had gone and then. Bible in hand, he talked with Paul Stephanas until the extinguishing of the lights brought their interview to a close.

CHAPTER THREE

Paul Stephanas’ Lecture Discussed at Timothy Berea’s Home

When Timothy Berea reached home he found his parents and his sister in the sitting room discussing the lecture. The arrival of Timothy temporarily interrupted the discussion. When he was seated Mrs. Berea re-opened the conversation. Addressing Timothy she said, “Well, what do you think of the lecture?”

“Extremely interesting; I was surprised at the man’s knowledge of the scriptures and his ability to turn to the passages to support his argument,” was the answer.

“I am quite ready to admit his familiarity with the scriptures and I do not doubt but that he is sincere, but of course he is quite mistaken in some of his views,” said Mrs. Berea.

“What views in particular do you think he is mistaken about?” asked Timothy.

“Well, of course, you will recollect that he kept continually referring to the earth instead of heaven and to material things instead of those grand immortal abiding places beyond the present material habitations.”

“That is quite true, mother, but were not his statements supported by scripture testimony?”

“Well, yes, he quoted scripture, but I cannot help but feel that it was wrongly applied. Even infidels sometimes quote the scriptures to support their contentions. Why, my son, did you not notice that he attacked our dear old orthodox faith which has come down to us as a priceless heritage? In part of his lecture he referred to our belief that we will one day leave this vale of tears and ascend to realms above, and then he said that the Bible had an altogether different story to tell; in other words our most cherished belief of a home in heaven to which we look forward and which cheers us through life and comforts us at the hour of death, - according to this man is all imagination. I tell you it is nothing short of infidelity and it was all I could do to sit still and listen to it.”

“Now mother, don’t get excited. I know just how you feel. I noticed these things you speak of, too, and that is why I stayed behind to talk with him.”

“Oh! then you have shown him his error: I am so glad of that.”

“Not so quick, mother: I am rather afraid I made a miserable failure of it. I wish you could have been there to help me, I feel sure it would have been quite different then. As it was the man completely silenced me.”

“Why Timothy! How could he?”

“Oh it was quite easy for him. Mother. I never realised how little I knew about the Bible until I talked with that blacksmith preacher. Why, I could not seem to answer the simplest questions and could not seem to recall passages of Holy Writ to support our dear old faith. For instance, when I opened the discussion by asking him the question: ‘If we do not go to realms above at death as you seemed to imply in your address, what becomes of our immortal souls?’ he answered ‘The scriptures never speak of immortal souls or their transition to realms above, and therefore I do not believe in either.’ ‘What!’ I said, ‘do you mean to infer that we have no immortal souls? Why the Bible is full of it; where else could the belief come from?”

“Before answering me he placed a hand on each of my shoulders and looking me straight in the face he said in a sympathetic tone: ‘Friend, I feel sure we both want to be guided by the Word of God. If it is full of immortal soulism then you should be able to tell me where to find it. I have read the Bible through several times and have never been able to find it. However, if you will show me one passage of Scripture that speaks of an immortal soul I am ready to bow to the Divine Word and stand corrected.’

“He waited a few moments for me to answer, and do you know, mother, I could not think of a single passage; I never was so much embarrassed in my life and I was glad that the janitor turned out the lights at that moment. Mr. Stephanas saw my embarrassment and said, ‘Well, never mind, we will talk it over quietly at some other time,’ I thereupon invited him to come up here on Wednesday night; that will give you a chance to talk to him and make amends for my insufficiency, and if it is necessary in your opinion, mother, we will get our pastor, Mr. Hamilton, to come over and help us defend our faith. Mr. Stephanas thanked me for the invitation and assured me he would be on hand.”

Mrs. Berea was about to answer Timothy, but noticing the dejected look upon his countenance she refrained from further discussion of the subject and simply said, “Well. we will talk it over in the morning; it is nearly twelve o’clock and we have to be up early tomorrow morning to attend to the stock before we go to church. Mr. Hamilton is going to preach on ‘The Reward of the Righteous,’ and I think it will strengthen and help both of us to hear him. I am half sorry we went to hear that blacksmith preach. It seems to have upset you somewhat, but never mind, take it to the Lord in prayer and you will find a solace for your troubled soul. Good night son.”

“Good night, mother.”

Mrs. Berea listened until she heard the door of Timothy’s room close behind him and then turning to her daughter she said with a sigh, “Poor Tim, I never saw him so troubled before. That man Stephanas is responsible for it, and we must do all we can to keep Timothy from coming too much in contact with him.”

“Why, mother! What makes your think it necessary to take such precautions with regard to Timothy? You always gave him credit for having good common sense, and you know his deep reverence for the Bible. I am confident no one could make him believe anything that was contrary to the teaching of the Scriptures. I think you are unduly alarmed.”

“Well,” replied Mrs. Berea, “perhaps you are right, but nevertheless an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and so I intend to get father to attend to any repairs or other business that may require dealings with the village mechanic. My fears may be foolish, Dorcas, but somehow, the voice of a mother’s intuition seems to whisper to me that danger is near. Good night. Dorcas, we must retire.”

The conversation thus abruptly ended, the mother and daughter parted and retired to their respective rooms.

CHAPTER FOUR

Sunday at the Stephanas Home

Sunday morning dawned, a bright, beautiful spring morning. Paul Stephanas, usually an early riser, awoke to find the sun streaming in through the crevices in the old-fashioned shutters that protected the windows of his humble country home. The mental exertion required in the delivery of a lecture after his regular day’s labour had fatigued him more than he usually felt when called upon to spend several extra hours at the shop. He arose at once, and after thanking the Father for the night of rest and asking His guidance and blessing during the day, he dressed and went downstairs, where he found Mrs. Stephanas in the kitchen, preparing the morning meal. After greeting his wife he went into the dining-room and was greeted with a chorus of “good mornings” by the children, who were up and dressed, and were looking over their Sunday School lessons while they awaited breakfast.

Picking up his Bible, he settled himself in his easy chair to read his “daily readings,” but was interrupted by a knock at the front door, which he hastened to answer.

Upon opening the door he was surprised to see Timothy Berea. The young man was asked to come in, but declined with thanks, explaining that he had come away without telling the folks that he was going, and that he wanted to get back if possible before they missed him.

“I have come to invite you, Mr. Stephanas, to our morning church service. Mr. Hamilton, our pastor, is going to speak on the subject. The Reward of the Righteous,’ and I would like you to hear what can be said on behalf of our old orthodox faith. You will come, won’t you?”

“Well, I don’t know about that: you see, I used to belong to the church and am pretty well acquainted with its teachings, and I long ago stopped attending the church because I found that its teachings were not in harmony with the scriptures.”

“Don’t you think. Mr. Stephanas, that is a rather narrow view of the matter? If we adopted the same attitude towards attendance at your lectures then no one would attend them.”

“Why not? Mr. Berea, if they adopted my attitude towards the church they would all attend the lectures. You see, I was a regular attendant at the orthodox church until I was convinced it was not teaching the Truth. Now if the people of Drearyville adopt the same attitude towards my lectures they will continue to attend until they are convinced that we are not teaching the truth as it is found in God’s infallible word. We only ask to be given a hearing and then let God’s test be applied. To the law and the testimony; if they speak not according to this word it is because there is no light in them’ (Isa. 8:20). Now isn’t that reasonable?”

“Well, yes, when you look at it that way it seems reasonable; but just the same I am disappointed to think you will not come to hear Mr. Hamilton. You see, I have just been down there to see him, and I told him of the conversation we had last night, and he told me he would bring forward proof conclusive of the scriptural foundation of our faith, and of course he can do it better than a layman like me.”

“Oh, well, that makes a difference. If Mr. Hamilton’s remarks are designed for my special benefit and I am to be permitted to answer in private conversation with you afterward, then common courtesy as well as a desire for the advancement of the truth call upon me to agree to the arrangement. When does your meeting commence?”

“10.30 a.m.”

“Well, I guess I can arrange it. Our meeting will be over by that time.”

“Your meeting? Do you have a meeting?”

“Oh, yes. We try to follow the commandments and example of Christ and the Apostles as closely as possible. Now we find that the Apostles and early believers met every first day of the week to break bread in remembrance of Christ, and though there is only my wife and I here, yet we feel it incumbent upon us to keep the commandment and follow the example of the Apostles and so we have our ‘breaking of bread’ at 9 o’clock every Sunday morning; and then we gather around the table and have a Sunday School lesson for the children.”

“Well, I must hurry home now.” said Timothy, “the folks will wonder what has become of me; I will look for you at the service this morning.”

“All right. Mr. Berea, God willing. I will be on hand.”

Timothy then hastened across the meadow to his home, where he found his mother anxiously looking for him. She was not a little displeased when she discovered that he had been at the home of Paul Stephanas.

CHAPTER FIVE

The Church at Drearyville

The church bell had just sounded forth its final call to the inhabitants of Drearyville when Paul Stephanas stepped inside the little church and found a seat near the door. The service commenced almost immediately after he was seated.

Mr. Hamilton was somewhat of an evangelist in the conventional sense of that term. He was an emotional speaker and worked upon the feelings of his audience by telling touching and pathetic stories that often brought tears to the eyes of his hearers.

The opening ceremonies being over, the pastor arose and announced his subject, “The Reward of the Righteous,” and stated that he had been particularly requested this morning to show that this part of the orthodox faith is founded upon scripture truth.

“This,” said he, “I consider to be a great honour, and I will now proceed to give you a little of the great mass of evidence that can be produced. First of all, there comes to my mind that time when the Lord was about to leave this earth and ascend to heaven; you no doubt remember how he comforted his disciples upon that occasion. He said to them. ‘Let not your heart be troubled, ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so I would have told you: I go to prepare a place for you that where I am there ye may be also.’ (John 14:1-3).

“This,” said the pastor, “is enough to settle the question once and for all. It proves conclusively,” said he. “that the righteous go to the Father’s house in heaven to be with Him. It would not be necessary to quote any other passages to prove this, for one statement of the Lord is as good as a dozen, as He never contradicts Himself. However, just to show how strong our position is, I ask you to look at the Master’s words again. He is addressing the multitude and among other things He says, ‘Blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad for great is your reward in heaven, for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you’ (Matt. 5:11-12).

“This shows beyond the shadow of a doubt,” said the pastor, “that heaven is the reward of the righteous. There is no use in taking up your time quoting scripture any further than these statements of the Master himself.”

However, he said he would be glad to give any of the congregation a list of other passages which he had prepared and which included the words of the thief on the cross, the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus and other evidence.

Mr. Hamilton then went on to picture the glory of Heaven and the happy re-unions that would take place there, and finally brought the service to a close by singing of the hymn “That Will Be Glory for Me.”

At the close of the service, Paul Stephanas arose from his seat with mixed feelings of sadness and vexation. He started towards the door, but advanced only a few steps when he was accosted by Mrs. Berea, who after shaking hands with him, asked him how he liked the sermon.

“Well.” said Paul. “since you ask me. I must say that it was a pitiable exhibition of wresting the scriptures.”

“Why, Mr. Stephanas, how can you say such a thing? I thought it was splendid and absolutely conclusive.”

“But, Mrs. Berea, did you not notice anything wrong with the quotation from John 14?”

“Why, no! We all know that by heart, ‘In my Father’s house are many mansions; I go to prepare a place for you that were I am ye may be also.’ He has gone to heaven to prepare a place for us so that we can be where he is.”

“Mrs. Berea, you astonish me. Will you kindly read the passage from the Bible. Here it is.” Whereupon he handed her a Bible opened at the fourteenth chapter of John.

Mrs. Berea confidently taking the book read as follows:

“In my Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so I would have told you. I go and prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself that where I am there ye may be also.”

“Why, how strange! I never noticed those words, ‘I will come again,’ before,” said Mrs. Berea.

“Your pastor has evidently not noticed them either. But now I would like to ask you a question or two. First - When Christ comes again, where will He be?”

“Why, on the earth of course.”

“Now please look at the text again, and tell me why He says He is coming again.”

Mrs. Berea looked at the book again and read the answer. “That where I am ye may be also.”

“Then what this passage really teaches is that Christ is going away for a while and then he is coming again on the earth in order that his disciples may be with him on the earth.”

Mrs. Berea looked embarrassed and confused. Paul, not wishing to humiliate her in the presence of those who had gathered around during the conversation, closed the discussion with a suggestion that she look the matter up a little further and reminded her of the engagement at her home for Wednesday night when they could talk things over quietly.

After shaking hands with Timothy and a few others who had gathered around, he bid them good-day and left for home.

Mrs. Berea waited until the last of the congregation had left the church and then had a long and earnest talk with Mr. Hamilton after which she left for home fully reassured and confident, and with a strong determination to defend her faith against the encroachments of this new idea, as she called it.

CHAPTER SIX

Searching the Scriptures

Although the Berea family were lovers of the Bible and read it quite often, their interest had never been so keen or sustained as it was during the time that intervened between Sunday morning and Wednesday evening when Paul Stephanas were to pay them a visit. On Monday and Tuesday evenings Mrs. Berea, Timothy and Dorcas pored over their Bibles until far into the night, and as a result Wednesday evening found them fully confident and prepared to defend their faith if called upon to do so.

When Paul Stephanas arrived at the appointed hour he found them seated at the table with open Bibles. In addition to the Berea family there was present a young woman toward whom, in his acts and speech Timothy showed great tenderness. One could not help but see in the attitude and demeanour of these two toward each other something more than simple friendship. The young woman was introduced as Miss Hamilton, the daughter of the pastor of the village church. After the usual exchange of greetings and when all were seated around the table, Mrs. Berea opened the conversation.

“I was somewhat nonplussed.” she said, addressing Mr. Stephanas, “when you called my attention on Sunday morning to the fact that we were in the habit of misquoting the passage in John 14:2, 3, but after mature consideration I do not feel so bad about it, because I find that the leading thought in the passage is not, in my judgment, affected by the omission of the words ‘and if I go and prepare a place for you I will come again and receive you unto myself.’ The leading thought in the passage is found in the words, ‘In my Father’s house are many mansions, I go to prepare a place for you.’ The Master was about to leave His disciples and by way of comforting them He tells them He is going to prepare a place for them in His Father’s house: now when He says ‘I will come again and receive you unto Myself,’ He must mean by that, that He will come at death and call them to Himself; for why would He go to heaven to His Father’s house to prepare a place for them if they were never to go there to occupy the place after it was prepared? I don’t see how you can escape this conclusion.”

“I have no doubt, Mrs. Berea, that this seems quite conclusive to you: at one time in my life I believed it just as firmly as you do, but since I have come to know the truth of the matter, I often wonder how I could ever believe it. Have you ever noticed in the preceding chapter, the thirteenth of John at the thirty-third verse, the following words of Christ; ‘Little children yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek Me; and as I said unto the Jews, whither I go ye cannot come; so now I say to you’?”

“Yes, I have noticed that statement of the Master’s,” answered Mrs. Berea, “But I have also noticed the statement in the fourteen chapter and the fourth verse, ‘And whither I go ye know and the way ye know.’ Have you noticed this, Mr. Stephanas?”

“I have,” replied Mr. Stephanas.

“Well, then, how do you explain it in harmony with the belief that they were not going to heaven?” asked Mrs. Berea.

“The passage does not say anything about heaven.”

“But that was where He was going,” insisted Mrs. Berea.

“Quite true, but he is not speaking of that particular fact in this discourse. He is not speaking of the place to which he was going, but of the great personage to whom he is going. In the 12th verse he says, ‘I go unto my Father.’ It is to this he refers when he says, ‘Whither I go ye know and the way ye know.’ It was just as if he said, ‘You know that I am going to the Father, and you know the way by which you can come to the Father, too, but you cannot follow me literally into His presence; but there is a way by which you can come to Him by communication.’ That this is what is meant is shown conclusively by Christ’s answer to Thomas. Thomas said unto Him, ‘Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?’ Jesus said unto him, ‘I am the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh unto the Father but by me.’ You will readily see that the Master is not speaking here about how they can reach heaven when they die, but rather how they can reach the Father through prayer during their lives. We see this plainly stated in verse thirteen, ‘And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.’ This was the great comfort with which He left them. Paul refers to it in his epistle to the Ephesians, 2:18, where, speaking of the Jews and Gentiles, he says, ‘For through him we both have access by one spirit unto the Father.’ When Christ said, ‘The way ye know,’ he meant the way of access unto the Father.”

“Well, that may be so,” said Mrs. Berea, “but the great fact at the beginning of the chapter stands unaltered. ‘In my Father’s house are many mansions. I go to prepare a place for you.’ Surely you will not deny that the Master here informed his disciples that he was going to prepare a place for them in his Father’s house. Now, what else could that mean for the disciples but that they were to go to heaven to occupy the place prepared for them?”

“But, Mrs. Berea, there is not mention of heaven in the passage.”

“No, the word ‘heaven’ is not mentioned, but it says ‘My Father’s house’.”

“Is that in heaven?”

“Where else could it be?”

“On earth. It was never spoken of as being in heaven; just look at Micah 4:1-2, where we have this prophecy, ‘But it shall come to pass in the last days that the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established in the top of the mountains and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it, and many nations shall come and say, ‘Come and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and He will teach us of His ways and we will walk in His paths; for the law shall go forth of Zion and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.’ Here you see is a house of God to be established on the earth at a time called the last days. Now the house of God in which Christ promised to prepare a place for his disciples is not a house of inanimate wood and stone, but composed of men and woman. Christ himself being the head of the house. This is plainly taught by Peter, who was one of those to whom Christ spoke when he said, ‘In my Father’s house are many mansions,’ etc. In 1st Peter 2:3-5, we have the following words, ‘If so be that ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious, to whom coming as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men but chosen of God and precious, ye also as lively stones are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.’ Then the Apostle Paul in his letter to the Ephesians speaks of this house of God in which the apostles were promised a place. How beautifully he explains it. He shows the house of God in the process of formation and designates the place of the apostles in it. Listen, ‘Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints and of the household of God: and are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone, in whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord; in whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the spirit’ (Eph. 2:19-22). You will see from this that the place prepared for the apostles in this house of God is in the foundation, while all the other children like living stones are builded together on this foundation and at last become a habitation of God through the spirit. The work of fitly framing together this building or house of God has been given to Christ; while it is the Father’s house it is Christ’s as well, because he has been appointed head over it. That is why he is able to prepare a place for us in it. The writer of the Hebrews refers to this in chapter 3:4.6 as follows:

‘For every house is builded by some man, but He that built all things is God. . . .But Christ as a Son over his own house, whose house are we if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.’

If we are approved by him in the day of his coming, we, as his ‘house’ shall help him in the administration of his laws, for, as Isaiah prophesies, ‘It shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains . . . and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and He will teach us of His ways, and we will walk in His paths; for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord, from Jerusalem’ (Isaiah 2:2-3). This house will constitute a literal Temple for worship at Jerusalem, in addition to the figurative house of living stones by which Scripture describes Christ’s Ecclesia or community of believers. When Christ returns to the earth, as He assuredly will, He will gather this house together and make it a royal house, for the individuals who will compose it will be members of the household of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. But there, I must stop or you will think I want to do all the talking.”

“I have been much interested in your remarks,” said Mrs. Berea, “and I must confess it takes some of the force out of our argument on the words of Christ in John 14. But then there are other passages that cannot be disposed of so easily and which prove to my mind conclusively that heaven is the reward of the righteous. For instance, there is the statement of Christ in His sermon on the mount, Matt. 5:11, 12, ‘Blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice and be exceeding glad, for great is your reward in heaven; for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.’ Now here is a plain statement which settles the matter conclusively, ‘Great is your reward in heaven.’ Don’t you believe this, Mr. Stephanas?”

“I do Mrs. Berea; I believe it with all my heart, and every other statement of this good old book. But I fear you read into the passage more than it contains. Do you understand this passage to teach that the righteous go to heaven to be rewarded?” asked Mr. Stephanas.

“Undoubtedly I do,” Mrs. Berea replied.

“But that is not stated in the passage.”

“No, not in so many words, but it is clearly implied; if the reward is in heaven surely they must go there to enjoy it.”

“Oh, no: that does not follow. That would be a perfectly reasonable deduction if we had no other information on the subject; but we are not left in doubt upon the subject; we are told plainly that the reward is to be brought to us. In the last book of the Bible, which contains a message from Christ, the Master in bringing His message to a close, says in the last chapter, Rev. 22:12: ‘Behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me to give every man according as his work shall be.’ In this passage Christ taught that he will bring his reward with him at his coming to give to his faithful followers on earth. Certainly he did not teach that they would go to heaven to receive it. In another place (Luke 14:14) he told his disciples that they would be ‘recompensed at the resurrection of the just.’ not at death in heaven! The Apostle Peter speaks of this reward or inheritance being reserved in heaven for us and declares it is to be revealed in the last time and that it is to be brought unto us at the revelation of Jesus Christ: read 1st Peter 1:3, 4.5, 13. When the Apostle Paul was about to die he did not indulge in rhapsodies about mansions in the skies, but you will remember no doubt that he said, ‘there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge shall give me at that day; and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing’ (2nd Tim. 4:8). The Apostle Peter gives us a clue to what is meant by ‘that day.’ In 1 Peter 5:4, he says, ‘And when the chief shepherd shall appear ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away’.”

“You see, Mrs. Berea,” said Paul Stephanas, “that the Apostles, Paul and Peter, both looked for the appearing of Christ as the time when they would be rewarded. They never expected to go to heaven. They were always looking for Christ to come, and continually exhorted the believer to wait and watch and be ready for the coming of the Lord. You can read the accounts of all the death records in the Bible and you will not find any reference to their having gone to heaven or to their reward. But we have the statement made in John 3:13; that no man hath ascended to heaven but the son of man that came down from heaven. Then we have the statement in Acts 2:34 that David is not ascended into the heavens. Now you know that David is spoken of as a man after God’s own heart; surely then if heaven were appointed by God as the place where the righteous should go at death to receive their reward. David would surely go there, and yet here is a statement of the inspired apostle to the effect that he did not go there. No, Mrs. Berea, the Bible never speaks of heaven as the reward of the righteous. Can you think of one passage of scripture that states plainly that heaven is the place where the righteous receive their reward?”

“Well, no; not in so many words,” replied Mrs. Berea, “There are, however, some statements which to my mind are difficult to construe in any other way; for instance there is the parable of the rich man and Lazarus; the request of the thief on the cross, and Stephen’s dying prayer. These passages have always seemed to me to be conclusive proof of the doctrine we believe concerning the reward of the righteous; they seem at least to strongly imply that good men and women go to heaven to receive their reward. It may be, however, that you can explain them away as you appear to have succeeded in doing with all the other passages I have quoted.”

“I can assure you, Mrs. Berea.” said Paul, “that these passages do not support the doctrine you advocate, any more than the other passages you have quoted, and are just as easily explained. The fact is, Mrs. Berea, that it is not a Bible doctrine at all; it is found in the Church Hymnal, and the Confession of Faith, but not in the Bible. The teaching of the Bible is entirely different, and it is stated in simple language, such as a child might readily understand. Suppose we go to the Bible to find the answer to the question, “Where are the righteous to be recompensed or rewarded?’ What answer do we find? Listen ‘The righteous shall be recompensed in the earth, much more the wicked and the sinner.’ (Prov. 11:31). Now here is a plain, simple, straightforward statement which cannot be gainsaid or denied; it tells us that the righteous are to be rewarded here on earth (not in heaven). The Lord speaks to us again through Solomon and he tells us (Prov. 10:30) that ‘the righteous shall never be removed; but the wicked shall not inhabit the earth.’ You see Mrs. Berea, the righteous are not simply to receive their reward on the earth and then depart to some other sphere of existence; they are not to be taken to heaven after they have received their reward at the judgment seat, but according to this inspired statement they are never to be removed from the earth.”

“I have heard that passage interpreted quite differently,” said Mrs. Berea.

“You have? I would like to hear what your interpretation is,” said Mr. Stephanas.

“Well, I have always heard it explained to mean that in every land and in every generation God would root out the wicked and allow only the righteous to dwell in peace in the land.”

“But surely, Mrs. Berea, you cannot accept such an interpretation. The facts are so manifestly against it that I don’t see how any one could believe it. Is it not a fact testified to by all history that since the days of our first parents, the wicked have been in the ascendancy in the earth and the righteous have been few and feeble and oppressed and their consolation has always been that God would some day interfere in the affairs of men and take the earth out of the hands of the wicked? But He has not done so yet as we can see by looking at the condition that exists in the earth today. Surely, Mrs. Berea, you will not contend that the wicked do not inhabit the earth today, and that only the righteous dwell in it?”

“Well, no, Mr. Stephanas, I can see that the interpretation I have advanced does not harmonize with the facts; in fact, as you were speaking there occurred to my mind some instances in which the very opposite conditions existed on the earth; for instance, in the first century after Christ the righteous were destroyed and removed by being thrown to the wild beasts; burned at the stake; hewn to pieces, and in many other ways tortured and destroyed; those who escaped the tortures and deaths did so only by concealing themselves in dens and caves and wild places of the earth. In those days the righteous were removed and the wicked did inhabit the earth, and I am free to admit it has been so to a certain degree in every age, and in fact it is easy to see there has never been a time when this statement of Solomon has been fulfilled.”

“Well, I am pleased to hear you say so, Mrs. Berea, because it will help you to accept the truth of the matter when it is brought to your notice. You will remember, Mrs. Berea, that it is recorded of the disciples of Christ that they asked him on one occasion to teach them how to pray, and he taught them that prayer which has come to be known as ‘The Lord’s Prayer,’ and among other things in that prayer he instructed them to pray, is: ‘Thy Kingdom come; Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven.’ Mrs. Berea to what extent do you think God’s will is done in heaven?”

“Why, perfectly, absolutely.” said Mrs. Berea.

“Well, do you think this prayer will ever be answered and that God’s will will be done in earth as it is now done in heaven?” asked Mr. Stephanas

“I suppose it must be so, for Christ would not teach his disciples to pray for something which it was not God’s will to grant,” Mrs. Berea replied.

“Then you are ready to accept the facts that there is a time coming when God’s will is to be done on earth, perfectly, absolutely.”

“It must be so, there seems no escape from that conclusion.”

“Well then, when this takes place, as it assuredly will, what will be the character of the earth’s inhabitants?”

“Why, I suppose they will be righteous, otherwise God’s will could not be done perfectly,” replied Mrs. Berea.

“Exactly so, before this petition in the Lord’s prayer can be fulfilled the earth must be filled with a purely righteous population and the wicked must be eradicated. God’s will could not be done on earth as it is in heaven if there was one wicked person on the earth; so that a time must come when the wicked will not inhabit the earth and as Solomon says concerning that time and the righteous population, ‘The righteous shall never be removed’.”

“I must confess, Mr. Stephanas, your argument is very strong. It seems impossible to escape the conclusion you have arrived at.”

“I have only presented a little of the evidence which the scriptures contain. Listen to the words of the Psalmist, ‘For evil doers shall be cut off, but those that wait on the Lord shall inherit the earth’ (Psalm 37:9). How long are they to continue in their inheritance of the earth? Listen: ‘The Lord knoweth the days of the upright and their inheritance shall be forever’ (Psalm 37:18); again “The righteous shall inherit the land and dwell therein forever’ (Psalm 37:29); and again, ‘Wait on the Lord and keep His Way; and He shall exalt thee to inherit the land; when the wicked are cut off thou shalt see it.’ (Psalm 37:34).”

“The fact is Mrs. Berea,” continued Paul, “that the whole purpose of God as it is revealed in the Bible, is the filling of the earth with the glory of God (Numbers 14:21). Now when we -

“Pardon me, Mr. Stephanas,” interrupted Miss Hamilton, “but I am deeply interested in the statement you have just made. Some time ago in the course of my reading. I came across the passage you have just quoted, the exact words are: “But as truly as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord.’ I suppose I must have read it many times before, but it had never impressed me as it did on the occasion of which I am speaking. This was, perhaps, because on this occasion I happened to be in a meditative mood, and after stopping to reflect and ask the question: How? When? I thought over it a great deal and I remember one night after retiring that I could not sleep for thinking about it, but I could not find an answer to the question. ‘How is the earth to be filled with the glory of God?’ In the morning I asked father about it, and was reproved by him for troubling myself about such unprofitable questions. I have been trying to forget about it ever since but your remark a moment ago brought it all back to me again. I hope you will not consider me rude for interrupting you in the midst of your remarks. Really I couldn’t resist the impulse that came to me the moment you mentioned that matter and now, if Mrs. Berea won’t mind and you are willing, I would like to hear your theory of the matter.”

Mrs. Berea nodded assent, and all turned their eyes in the direction of Paul Stephanas and waited for his answer.

There was no hesitancy on his part. “I wish to say first of all,” said he, “that I have no personal theory of the matter.”

A look of disappointment came over the face of Doris Hamilton.

“I’m so sorry,” she said, “I thought you could explain it to me.”

“And so I can, I am thankful to say, but not by any theory of my own,” replied Paul. “I sincerely hope that none of you will think me so foolish as to sit here and waste both your time and my own relating my own theories and opinions. Human opinions and theories on matters of religion are worthless. I have long since cast mine away, and any knowledge I now have of the subject is not original with me, but is copied direct from God’s book of explanations, the Bible. I will be very much pleased, Miss Hamilton, to direct your attention to God’s own answer to the question, How is the earth to be filled with the glory of the Lord?”

“The answer is very simple when you permit the scriptures to speak for themselves. The Psalmist, or rather God through the Psalmist, gives us a key to the answer. He says, ‘Whoso offereth praise glorifieth Me; and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God’ (Psalm 50:23). According to this passage, glory to God is generated by the offering of acceptable praise to Him. Now we have already noticed that Christ taught his disciples to pray. ‘Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth as it is done in heaven.’ When this prayer is answered, we will have in the earth a righteous population which by praising God continually, will fill the earth with His glory. We have a prophetic forecast of the spirit of that great day in the 96th Psalm. Here are some of the expressions in the Psalm. ‘O sing unto the Lord a new song; sing unto the Lord all the earth; sing unto the Lord, bless his name; shew forth His salvation from day to day. Declare His glory among the heathen (i.e. nations), His wonders among all people. Give unto the Lord, O ye kindreds of the people, give unto the Lord Glory and strength. Give unto the Lord the Glory due unto His name; bring an offering and come into His courts.’ When this great day arrives, the prophetic song which the angels sang at the birth of Christ will then be fulfilled. ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men’.”

“Then you think it is to be a mental rather than a physical glory,” said Miss Hamilton.

“It is both mental and physical.” replied Paul. “There is not only the glory that comes from the ascription of praise and thanksgiving but there is also the effulgence of glory that will radiate from a multitude of glorified beings.”

“What do you mean by ‘glorified beings,’ Mr. Stephanas?” asked Miss Hamilton.

“I mean beings, men and women who have been made immortal, equal to the angels so that they cannot die any more (Luke 20:26). Who have been made partakers of the divine nature (2nd Peter 1:4) and who have been raised to splendid honour in that glorious age (Psalm 149). You remember, no doubt, that when Paul went down to Damascus to persecute the saints, that Christ appeared to him on the way and the light that shone round about him was so great that he was struck to the ground by it and was blind for several days; the glory of that light was too much for Paul’s mortal eyes, but the Apostle John tells us that in the great day that is to come we shall see the Lord as he is; for we shall be like him (1 John 3:2) that is, we shall be immortal, of the divine nature, the same as he is now, and therefore able to behold his glory. Paul tells us plainly that Christ is coming to change our vile body and fashion it like unto his glorious body. (Phil. 3:21). Then you will remember, no doubt, that when Moses went up into the Mount to talk with God, that when he returned to the Israelites, his face shone with such an effulgence of glory that the people could not look at him until he put a veil over his face to subdue the glory. Now this was merely a slight reflection of the Divine Glory, and yet it was more than mortal people could stand. Peter tells us that we are to be made partakers of the Divine nature (2 Pet. 1:4). It will then be not a mere reflection of God’s Glory that we will have, but it will be in us a part of our nature; we will be filled with it. Think, then, of the glory that will fill the earth when it is filled with a population that will be full of the glory of God, because partakers of His nature. I suppose the Apostle Paul must have had this in mind when he said, ‘For I am persuaded that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us’ (Romans 8:18). The Psalmist also refers to it when he says, “For the Lord taketh pleasure in His people: He will beautify the meek with salvation. Let the saints be joyful in glory....’ (Psalm 149:4-5). I consider this outward glory, however, the least important.”

“Why do you consider it the least important?” queried Miss Hamilton.

“Because,” answered Paul, “it is but the outward manifestation of God’s pleasure towards us: because of that other glory, which we can possess and which is, in reality. God’s greatest achievement with the human race, namely, a Godlike character. God can at any time send forth a great burst of glittering light that would be more than humanity could bear. This He could do in a moment, but it has taken ages to produce the refined, beautiful and godly characters, who will be the permanent possessors of the earth and God’s adopted children. They are like the precious stones, they have been dug out of the rough quarry of sinful flesh. You will remember, perhaps, that the ark of the covenant was covered within and without with pure gold. This teaches us the order of God’s work with us; we must first be made glorious within, like the King’s daughter in the 45th Psalm, and then we will be made glorious without by God in that great day soon to come. The glory then that is to fill the earth is a glorious people who will make its hills and valleys ring with acclamation of His praise, saying, ‘Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for Thou hast created all things and for Thy pleasure they are and were created.’ But now I must go, I see I have stayed much later than I had expected to.” said Paul, arising to go.

“We have been so deeply interested that we did not notice the time,” said Miss Hamilton, “And I want to thank you for explaining that passage to me, which has puzzled me so.”

“I sincerely hope, Miss Hamilton, that you will see your way clear to accept this scriptural explanation of how the earth is to be filled with the glory of God,” said Paul. “You see,” he continued, “if the modem idea is true that the righteous at death go to heaven and the earth is to be destroyed, then these things so fully elaborated in the Scriptures cannot be true, and God is made to be the author of confusion. I think, though, that none of you would take the stand that the Bible is false; therefore, you are bound to accept its plain statement that the meek shall inherit the earth and dwell therein forever. (Psalm 37:11.18). Well, good night, Mrs. Berea.”

“Good night, Mr. Stephanas, and come again.”

Timothy accompanied Paul to the door, and when he shook hands with him, as he was leaving, he said, “Mr. Stephanas, I wish I had your knowledge of the Scriptures. It was most edifying to listen to you tonight.”

“Well, I am sure the Scriptures are no special possession of mine, Mr. Berea,” answered Paul “you can, if you will, obtain a soul-satisfying knowledge of the Divine Word.”

“Well, I don’t know,” said Timothy. “I have been reading my Bible all my life and yet I don’t seem to know very much of what it really contains.”

“That is because you have been studying it without the key,” said Paul.

“I was not aware that there was a key,” answered Timothy.

“Well, there is a key,” said Paul, “and without its possession, the Scriptures remain locked to the enquirer. Some time when we get an opportunity, I will show you what I consider to be the key to unlock the Scriptures. I must not keep you standing out here any longer. Good night, Mr. Berea. I hope I shall see you again in the near future.”

When Timothy returned to the sitting room, he found Doris Hamilton ready to start home. “What! You ready to go so soon? What is your hurry, Doris?” inquired Timothy.

“Why, Timothy, look at the clock, it is past eleven,” replied Doris.

“So it is,” said Timothy, glancing at the clock, “I will go right out and harness Dick; I will be ready in five minutes.”

“No don’t do that, Timothy; let’s walk to-night, it is a beautiful moonlight night and just ideal for a walk,” said Doris.

“That suits me perfectly,” said Timothy. “I love a moonlight walk; especially when I have good company; and besides it takes a little longer on foot and give us more time for conversation.”

The young people were soon out on the country road, Wending their way towards Doris’s home. The road to the Hamilton residence took them along the side of one of the lulls among which the village nestled. The road commanded a splendid view of the valley in which every tree and field and housetop was now covered by the clear, soft, silvery moonlight, by which also the hills across the valley were clearly outlined. It was one of those nights that makes one regret the demands of nature that call us from the enjoyment of its soothing, insidious influence, to spend the remainder of the night within the walls of our bedchamber. About half a mile from Timothy’s home, the road descended to a lower level, and was cut by a stream, over which a bridge was built.

The scenery here is entrancing. As one stands upon the bridge and lets his vision follow in the direction of the stream, he can see far down its course the moonlight gleaming upon the water, with here and there a shadow of a tree thrown across the stream.

It is a scene of tranquillity and peace. The stillness is broken only by the rippling laughter of the brook; as one contemplates the scene, he is impressed as never before with the force of the prophetic statement concerning Jerusalem, “Behold I will extend peace to her like a river.” (Isa. 66:12).

The bridge was a favourite spot with Timothy and Doris; many a pleasant hour they spent together there, but tonight they were strangely absorbed with other matters. Doris had received an answer to the question, which for some time had troubled her. She could not deny the Scriptural truth of the answer, and yet her equanimity was deeply disturbed by the fact that to accept it involved the sacrifice of her most cherished belief. She had purposely asked Timothy to walk home with her so that they could discuss the matter along the way.

Timothy opened the discussion “Well, Doris, you have had an opportunity to hear Mr. Stephanas tonight,” he said. “What do you think of his arguments?”

“Well, to be candid, Timothy, I was deeply impressed by what he said; I searched my memory in vain for an answer to his reasoning. He seemed to leave no ground for one to stand upon. Do you think it possible that these cherished tenets of our faith, which are the heritage handed down to us from past generations and for which our forefathers shed their blood, do you really think, Timothy, that they are false?”

“I don’t like the thought of it, Doris,” replied Timothy, “but like you, I have been unable to find solid ground to stand upon, and as far as our forefathers are concerned, you know, Doris, if we follow our ancestry back far enough, we find them steeped in ignorance and superstition. I also was deeply impressed with the thought you have just expressed, and have been trying to find an answer to it. I find that the Christians to whom the apostle Peter spoke had a similar experience; for he reminds them that they had been redeemed from a vain conversion received by tradition from their fathers (1st Peter 1:18). So it is evident that they had to set aside the traditions of their fathers when they accepted the gospel as preached by Peter.”

“That is not the only point,” replied Doris; “look at the intelligent people who study and preach our faith and who love and revere the Bible; if what this man has been telling us tonight be true their intelligence has profited them nothing and they are deceived and deluded; do you think such a thing possible Timothy?”

“What has happened in the past can easily happen again,” replied Timothy. “In fact, we find history repeating itself. Look at the Apostle Paul before his conversation to Christ; brought up at the feet of Gamaliel, educated in a manner second to none in his day, fully conversant with the Scriptures, and yet absolutely deceived and deluded as to their true teaching, full of zeal in his false belief and persecuting those who really knew ‘the Truth,’ and who were for the most part poor, illiterate and despised. You will remember how he was brought to see that his learning and intelligence had profited him nothing, as far as finding ‘the Truth’ was concerned; and after his conversion he remarked on a certain occasion that it is written. ‘I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent,’ and also that ‘the world by wisdom knew not God’ (1 Cor. 1:19, 21). Speaking of his own countrymen on another occasion he said, ‘I bear them witness that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.’ (Romans 10:2). So you can see, Doris, that it is not a question of intelligence or worldly wisdom or even zeal, but a question of having a proper understanding of what the Scriptures teach.”

“Why, Timothy, one would almost think you were a disciple of Mr. Stephanas,” said Doris.

“No danger of that Doris,” said Timothy. “Mr. Stephanas does not want disciples to follow him, he would be highly indignant at the suggestion. I would not be surprised though if he were to succeed in materially changing my views as to what the Scriptures teach concerning salvation.”

“Do you think it possible that you could ever leave the old church?” asked Doris in a serious tone.

“I think I could, Doris, if I was fully convinced that it was wrong,” replied Timothy.

“I am afraid Timothy, Mr. Stephanas has had an evil influence over you; I feel sure his arguments can be met; I am going to speak to father and ask him to meet this man who is disturbing our religious equanimity and see if he cannot put him to silence once and for all.” Doris spoke with great earnestness, and determination was clearly read in the expression of her face. By this time they had reached Doris’s home and they bid each other good night.

Doris retired with a troubled mind; she seemed to have a premonition of approaching evil. The events of the evening had at first pleased and then alarmed her, and now, try as she might, she could not succeed in dismissing the matter from her mind, and not until far into the night did sleep at last put an end to her troubled cogitations.

CHAPTER SEVEN

Proposal for Debate

Next morning Doris appeared at the breakfast table looking a trifle pale. Her mother and brother, noticing the pallor, inquired anxiously as to how she felt. Doris assured them that there was no cause for alarm as she felt quite well.

“You were rather late in getting home last night, were you not, Doris?” inquired her father.

“Yes, father. Mr. Stephanas, the blacksmith preacher, was visiting the Berea’s and we had a discussion in which we became so deeply absorbed that we never noticed how time was flying,” replied Doris.

“Oh, yes, I remember now, Mrs. Berea told me she expected a visit from this man Stephanas. I went over some of the disputed points with her and pointed out to her some of the weak points in his arguments. I have no doubt he found her well prepared to answer his sophistries.” said Mr. Hamilton.

“Well, the fact is,” replied Doris, “that neither Mrs. Berea nor any of us could answer his arguments; in fact, they seemed unanswerable; they were composed almost entirely of plain simple statements from the Bible and to deny them would mean the rejection of the Bible, at least so it seemed to us. At any rate we were like children in his hands, we could only listen while he quoted and explained the Scriptures to us.”

“Why, Doris! You surprise me. I thought you at least could give a good and sufficient reason for the hope that is within you,” said Mrs. Hamilton.

“I thought so, too,” said Doris, “but this illiterate blacksmith seemed to knock the whole foundation from under us. He overwhelmed us with Scripture testimony, that seemed plainly to teach just the opposite of what we have always been taught to believe. Mrs. Berea and myself were much troubled over the matter.”

“Where was Timothy during this discussion?” inquired Arthur Hamilton, Doris’s brother.

“Timothy was there listening with the rest of us.” replied Doris.

“Listening, eh! Did he not attempt to answer this man’s sophistries?” asked Mr. Hamilton.

“No, father, he made no attempt to answer, and, in fact, he seemed to be deeply impressed and pleased with the things which he heard,” said Doris.

“Nonsense! Doris,” said Mr. Hamilton, “how could a man of Timothy’s intelligence, and standing in the community, be impressed with the dogmatisms of an illiterate blacksmith?”

“It was not his assertions, father,” said Doris, “but the testimony of the Scriptures, which he brought forward to support his assertions, which seemed to impress Timothy. You know the Berea family are noted for their love of the Scriptures, and they have been searching the Scriptures to see if these things are so, and the result has been a deep impression that they are true. Timothy told me last night that he would not be surprised if he had to modify his views as to what salvation is and how it is to be obtained. It was a shock to me to hear Timothy talk in that way and I could not go to sleep for a long time after I retired last night. I made up my mind that I would ask you, father, to come to our rescue and show the fallacy of this man’s arguments, for I feel sure he must be wrong and that his arguments can be met and you are the only one we can turn to, with the hope of stemming the tide of this heresy.”

The pallor had now disappeared from Doris’s face, and in its place was the flush of excitement upon her cheeks. She spoke earnestly, almost appealingly to her father and she was quite successful in communicating her fervid interest in the subject to him and the others at the table.

“I shall be glad and shall consider it my duty to do all that I can in the matter. What would you suggest? Shall I give a special course of sermons, or do you think it would be better if I were to talk privately with Timothy?” asked Mr. Hamilton.

“I would suggest, father that you arrange a debate with Mr. Stephanas and invite the villagers to be present,” said Doris.

“What! I debate with an ordinary layman, an illiterate blacksmith? Surely, Doris, you would not desire to have me lower the dignity of my high office by such a procedure,” exclaimed the clergyman.

“I would not desire it, father, if I could see any other way to save Timothy and others from contamination with these heretical doctrines. You see they meet him daily at the shop, where he lays his arguments before them with no one to answer for them, and as they are for the most part unlearned in the Scriptures the result is an impression is made upon them which they are apt to retain unless something is done to counteract it. Now my theory is, that if you meet him in public debate and answer his arguments before the townspeople, the people will be fortified against his reasonings, and his influence will cease.

“Don’t you think, father, you could do this for the sake of our old faith and to save some of our people from spiritual destruction?” pleaded Doris.

The old clergyman felt the force of his daughter’s logic and after remaining silent for a moment or two he said, “Well, Doris, it is a great sacrifice of one’s dignity to even consider such a thing, but I want to do all I can for my fellow men. I will consider the matter and let you know later.” With this remark he rose and retired to his study.