TFTBR - January 2013

Resource Manager

26 January 2013

Genesis 42; 43

Psalms 46; 47; 48

Matthew 28

"ALL AUTHORITY IN HEAVEN AND EARTH"

The last words of Jesus to his disciples, according to Matthew’s Gospel, are very interesting; we can break them into 3 segments. First, “All authority in heaven and earth has been given to me, Go therefore and make disciples of all nations …” From this we learn the responsibility that now rests up Jesus, and the exercise of that responsibility is to oversee the development of believers in every nation. We noted 3 days ago in Matthew 24, that the end would come when the message of the kingdom had been proclaimed to every nation.

The second segment has caused much discussion; that is, that the disciples you make are to be baptised “in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.” This is seen by orthodox churches as the key proof of the idea of the Trinity, 3 in one and one in 3, but that is reading into those words far more than they say. They are saying that the believer who is baptised, has God as his spiritual Father, Jesus as His Saviour and will live within the surrounding presence of the Holy Spirit in his life. It is not a matter of possessing the Holy Spirit, but of the Spirit possessing the believer. Paul’s final words to the Corinthians are to the point, “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all” [2 Corinthians 13:14].

The final segment is that his disciples are to teach “them to observe all that I have commanded you.” So the foundation of the true Christian way of life is to be found in the gospels. Those who follow in their footsteps, until Jesus comes again, must faithfully do the same.

We reflected, as we finished reading the Gospel, on those who try to minimise the truth of these Gospels by stressing points of difference in the records, such as in the appearances of Jesus after his resurrection. The world will always have its sceptics and, if all 4 gospels told an identical story, these sceptics would be claiming the writers are not independent witnesses. As it is, all the essential points are the same, the 4 writers supplement each other. The essential fact is that the Son of God rose from the dead and his disciples were transformed from being frightened timid men to become empowered to go out into the world and transform the paganism of human imagination that was holding human minds captive.

-------

- DC

27 January 2013

Genesis 44; 45

Psalms 49

Romans 1; 2

"THAT WE MAY BE MUTUALLY ENCOURAGED"

It has been well said that ‘no one lives in a vacuum’ – we all interact with others and have some influence on each other. Most of us live in a close community of fellow believers at least one day each week, may we see this as essential. This is good – this is wonderful. The only time it is not so is when there is discord for some reason – and discord can hurt much more among those who are close to one another and have love for one another, true love will find a way to heal the discord.

This thought sprang from our reading of the first chapter of Romans today. The intensity of Paul’s devotion to God comes over so plainly here: he does not need a fellow believer to testify to this. He writes, “God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I mention you (Roman believers) always in my prayers …” [Romans 1:9-10] His devotion to God is also shown outwardly by his attitude to fellow believers- and so is ours!

Paul had never been to Rome, he writes, “I long to see you …. that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith….” So – when we come together – do we talk – and act – in ways which display our faith and our spiritual convictions to one another? Can our coming together be sometimes (often?) too much chit chat about this and that?

Paul declares, “I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek (AV Gentile = anyone who is not a Jew).” He then states, For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, ‘The righteous shall live by faith.’” [Romans 1:16-17]

His words are powerful in their simplicity. The word ‘Gospel’ we know means ‘Good News’ – but can we become so familiar with it that we take it for granted” The ‘righteousness of God’ is revealed in it, this is the foundation of our faith – but faith is not something static, is has to become stronger and stronger – or it will wither on the vine.

May we all be among those who live – and grow – by faith and may we “be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith” in a way that will increase our devotion to him – and, as we read in Hebrews, by “encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near” [Hebrews 10:25]. Finally, Paul returns to this point later in Romans, in chapter 13 from verse11. We read, “…wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed. The night is far gone; the day is at hand … put on the armour of light. Let us walk properly as in the daytime …” [Romans 13:11-13] Part of walking properly is to mutually encourage one another; may we all do that.

-------

- DC

28 January 2013

Genesis 46; 47
Psalms 50
Romans 3; 4  

"BY THE LAW OF FAITH"

Much of Paul’s reasoning as he writes to the Romans is quite profound: it needs careful thought for us to get our minds around some of the points he is making. In Romans 3 he is setting out the parallel principles (and how they converge) for the Jews who observe the law in the right spirit - and are “right” in the eyes of God and what he says of   “the law of faith” [Romans 3:27] that applies to all believers.  

It seems strange to apply the word “Law” to the operation of faith.  Some modern versions (eg NIV) drop the word ‘law’ but it is in the Gk. Text.  We note Romans 3:20-22 where Paul states, “by the works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes the knowledge of sin.  But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it – the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ …”  For this reason our reading of all of God’s word is necessary.

The more we are conscious of the precepts of God’s laws the more we become aware of our failure to keep them in one way or another.  It therefore became clear that something more than keeping the letter of the Law was necessary.  Paul is appealing to Jewish ways of thinking – this leads him to use the phrase “the law of faith.”  He writes of the “divine forbearance” as God “passed over former sins. It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has who has faith in Jesus.” [Romans 3:25-26]  

Etched in Paul’s mind, must have been the words of Stephen as he stood alongside those stoning him, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them” [Acts 7:60] Jesus made the same appeal as they led him to the cross – see Luke 23:34 Does this mean that God now overlooks all our sins if we have faith in Jesus? Paul asks the Romans. “are we to continue in sin that grace may abound?” And the answer – “By no means!” [Romans 6:1-2]

The failure of the Jews, zealous for the Law in the time of Jesus, was highlighted by their self-righteousness – and a spirit of boasting. Paul now warns any who may have this attitude – “… what becomes of our boasting? It is excluded.  By what kind of law?  By the law of works? No, but by the law of faith” [Romans 3:27]  

What does the word “law” mean to you?  We read “by works of the law” no one is “justified in his sight”  We sense that “justified’ means ‘seen to be righteous - in God’s eyes.    Faith is not a ‘Law’ in the ordinary sense.  In Romans 4 Paul gives the example of Abraham and how “his faith is counted as righteousness” [Romans 4:3]. May we live by “the law of faith”, a faith which ‘inspires’ us and excludes boasting, and becomes a “law” governing all our thinking – and therefore our actions.
-------
- DC

29 January 2013

Genesis 48; 49; 50
Psalms 51; 52
Romans 5; 6

"YOU ALSO MUST CONSIDER YOURSELVES DEAD ..."

There are some days when all the readings provoke thoughts that are very meaningful and personal. In Genesis we have the words of Joseph to his brothers after their father died. The brothers are fearful that Joseph, in his position of great power in the land, will now take vengeance on them for the time they threw him into a pit, ignoring his pleas (Psalm 105:17-20 which shows it was also a testing time for Joseph) and sold him to be a slave. But Joseph now fully sees the events from God’s perspective.

“Joseph said to them, ‘Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? … you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring about …” [Genesis 50:19-20] The lesson for us! – to look ‘into’ all strange and unexpected events to see whether the hand of God is there in - allowing or causing – the setting in motion of a chain of events for some divine purpose. But we usually perceive this only later as the events unfold. Also, we can say this is the case with our endeavours to understand much of apparently fulfilling prophecy in these days.

In the Psalms we have that most meaningful Psalm [Psalm 51] which reveals David’s total remorse and repentance after his sin with Bathsheba – a powerful example for all who become belatedly awake to what a mess they have made in some part of their lives – but the awakening must be from the heart and create a prayerful seeking of God’s guidance.

Then in Paul’s letter to the Romans we have his most powerful portrayal of the impact that the sacrifice of Christ must have on us, as it obviously had on him. This impact may not come to begin with, but it must surely come if we are to be people whom our Lord can really use in his service. Paul writes of how “the free gift of grace of that one man (in contrast to Adam) Jesus Christ abounded for many.” [Romans 5:15] Yet, because it is “free” – do we really appreciate it in the right way? There seems to be a lot of glib talk around (spoken and written) in some religious circles about ‘grace’ – that it is always abounding – regardless of what we might ever do.

In Romans 6 Paul makes a really special point, or so it seems to us, “We know that Christ being raised from the dead will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives, he lives to God. So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.”

Then he makes this powerful point to his readers, those in Rome and of all ages. After saying, “you also must consider yourselves dead to sin” he pleads, “Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal bodies, to make you obey their passions.” [Romans 6:11-12] Let us all see ourselves to be “dead” to sin. And if we cannot see that – then draw closer to Christ, our mediator. in earnest prayer. Also making sure we constantly meditatively read God’s word - to inspire us in seeing.
-------
- DC

30 January 2013

Exodus 1; 2
Psalms 53; 54; 55
Romans 7; 8

"WAITS WITH EAGER LONGING ..."

Paul’s letter to the Romans contains some of the most meaningful and thought provoking words in the Bible. It is impossible to read it and take all the points into our minds until we have read it meditatively many times over, making our own notes.

More than any other book in the Bible, it calls for diligent and reflective study and the following up of the cross references and leads to other Scriptures. The Bible cannot be treated like a school text book that you go through in a year’s study and then leave on the shelf for occasional reference. God’s word is designed by him for our lifelong reading and provokes increasing spiritual perceptions and enjoyment.

Paul had been brought up under the Law of Moses with all its rules and regulations. He had been zealous for the Law, but, as a result of his dramatic conversion he had, with God’s help through the Spirit, applied his mind to the new reality of eternal things – and learnt the wonder of an ongoing personal relationship with his Saviour.

The Law of Moses had been a law for the nation of Israel, but it was now superseded by a situation in which each individual could and should have a personal relationship with their Saviour and with the Father.

Paul makes the point; “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing …” [Romans 8:18-19] This sense of eagerness is keenly felt by those who see the emptiness in nearly all that most find enjoyable today. Paul says we “groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies” [Romans 8:23] Note the word eagerly!

Those who find this life satisfying and enjoyable will not genuinely have eagerness for that which is going to replace it. But for many in the world, such as in the Sudan and Pakistan, to name but two countries, this life offers nothing that a truly spiritual person can enjoy – except their fellowship with each other. Yet, in God’s eyes, those living in such situations are likely to be in a far more spiritually acceptable frame of mind.

Meditate prayerfully on these words near the end of Romans 8. “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? … No, in all these things we are more than conquerors, through him who loved us.” [Romans 8:35,37] However, could not our lack of “eager longing” separate us?
-------
- DC

31 January 2013

Exodus 3; 4
Psalms 56; 57
Romans 9

"THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED"

Our readings today - in Exodus and Romans tie in together in their reference to the exaltation of Moses, now ready, in God’s sight, to serve him after 40 years of preparation “in the land of Midian.” Moses is now a meek and humble man [Numbers 12:3] – God can now use him.

Paul’s points in our Roman’s chapter [Romans 9] are illuminating: first, he states how God “says to Moses, ‘I will have mercy on whom I have mercy… So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God who has mercy.’” [Romans 9:15-16] In our Exodus reading yesterday we saw how God could not use Moses’ own “will and exertion” [Exodus 2:11-15]. Paul then drives home the lesson that one cannot deserve, i.e. ‘earn’ God’s blessing by their own efforts. All God’s blessings are an expression of God’s mercy. This is parallel to talking about God’s grace; therefore it is really saddening today when so many talk and write glibly about ‘grace’ as though it is an ever-flowing factor that they can be certain about – regardless of how they behave,

Paul next makes the point that “Scripture says to Pharaoh, ‘For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth’”. [Romans 9:17] This is not the proclamation of God’s actual name as an intellectual understanding, but of God’s reputation that was about to be established by what he did. We will read of this in the next few days; the dramatic deliverance from Egypt of the descendants of Jacob.

In relation to this look carefully at our reading in Exodus 3 where God’s name is given as , “I will be what I will be” [Exodus 3:14 – as shown in the ESV footnote] Primarily, this means God will ‘make’ his name, that is, his reputation, by what is about to happen – “This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations.” [Exodus 3:15] Their deliverance from Egypt became a ‘memorial’ which all generations would look back to – as a foundation for their confidence in God. Thus, when we come to read Psalm 135 and its praises to the LORD we will see the full significance in Psalm 135:8-13 of the LORD’s name and “renown.” It is fully expressed in Isaiah 63:11-14 how you God “led your people to make for yourself a glorious name.” Daniel makes the same point in his impassioned prayer [Daniel 9:15]

In the same way we look back to the sacrifice and resurrection of our Savior – and how God made for himself the name of ‘Father.’ We are privileged to call God ‘Father’ – but how many “hallow” that name when they say the Lord’s Prayer. Do we?

Just as vital is to ask; how many are striving to make a ‘name’ for themselves which Christ will “remember” when the time comes for him to “confess” what those in his service have achieved according to the “talents” given to them? Think about what Jesus says in Revelation 3:5, “The one who conquers (him/herself!) … I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels.” Our “name” that Christ will “confess” will be achieved in many different ways; for example, to quote James 1:27, “to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.”
-------
- DC