The Bible The Lord Jesus And You

Old and New

In the past God often judged nations directly. Sometimes He used one nation to punish another. Sometimes He judged individuals in the same way. People often point to the wars of the Old Testament. Yet Jesus commands us not to fight. Has there been a change in God’s outlook?

God is unchanging, but the life of Jesus has made a difference to what we may do. Jesus was the first man to live a sinless life. He was the first perfect man. For that reason God has made him judge of mankind. He has committed all judgment to him.

God has appointed a day when Jesus will come to judge the world. If God appears to be less strict today it is perhaps because judgment is awaiting His intervention. Jesus will judge. Justice will be done.

Anyone else would be biased in their judgment. Issues would be clouded by their own weaknesses and sins. Jesus alone is qualified to be a just judge. Jesus condemned our going to war. It is wrong for us to do this. We should not take God’s law into our own hands in that way.

Yet Jesus, when he comes again, will war against the nations. He will fight for God. He will fight to rid the world of corruption and injustice. He will establish what is right. He will use force to do it.

The principles on which he will judge are God’s. They are the same righteous dealings which God has always operated. They involve the idea of “an eye for an eye”. That is, the punishment will fit the crime. It is the New Testament that teaches that “a man reaps what he sows”.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Resource Manager

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CHAPTER 35

A NEAR neighbour was quite beside herself. She sat with her cup of tea and began to pour out her troubles. It seemed that one of her unmarried daughters was expecting a child. Grandma‑to‑be was horrified. Where had she gone wrong?

“I’ve done everything for those children;” she said. “We’ve given them a good education. We’ve done everything we could to help them. We’ve taught them to be honest and hardworking. We’ve tried to show them how to be fair and decent.

We’ve given them good clean values and proper standards. Why should this happen?”

We sat and talked for a while. It became apparent that Madge and George had indeed done their best. They had passed on what they thought were good Christian standards. Unfortunately, modern education had challenged these. Modern values had undermined their work. Adolescence had brought changing attitudes in their children. The values of others had rubbed off on them.

“Why shouldn’t I?” they had begun to ask. The only answer mum and dad could offer was: “Because we say so.” But they were old‑fashioned as far as the children were concerned. Why should they be right any more than the moderns? Because dad said so was really no reason at all. Times had changed. Dad didn’t understand.

When Madge had gone home we began to think about our own children. Would we make the same mistakes? What was it that they had done wrong?

The Need For Standards

The sad part was that neither Madge nor George had any time for religion. The Bible was not a book they ever bothered with. Consequently their own standards were the only authority they could offer their children. When these were questioned there was nothing else, no backstop.

Modern thinking teaches children to question old values. Modern education often derides old ideas. It scoffs at ways it regards as out‑dated. One generation’s opinions are just as good as another’s.

The Bible is a valuable authority. When the children ask why this way, the answer should be: “Because God says so:” When modern ideas challenge our values we go back to the Bible to see what it says. My ways may be old‑fashioned, but God’s wisdom is timeless. His values are wise, His standards are right for every generation.

The world has set standards for various things. Once upon a time these were very vague. They depended on the size of a man’s hand, or his stride. Today they are very precise. Whether we buy a yard or a metre we know exactly how long it should be. Whether we obtain a pound or a kilogram it should match exactly with our own scales. When we have paid for our goods we are aware of what change there should be.

In every kind of weight and measure, standards have been set. Justice means conforming to those standards.

In behaviour too there are certain standards. The law of a country lays down what is acceptable practice there. However, these laws are concerned with more abstract things. You cannot measure morals in the same way as apples. That is why, in these things, the standards have shifted.

Getting Away With It

For many people the only crime is being found out. They make allowances for themselves. They feel they can justify their own actions. They regard it as perfectly alright to drive at any speed they wish. Only if there is a policeman following do they have regard to the limits.

Stealing time from work is justified on the basis of “He does it, so why shouldn’t l?” Petty thieving from employers takes place because “They won’t miss it, they’ve got plenty more.” Prices have to be put up to take account of the items which have “fallen off the back of a lorry”.

What is true in little things is true in large ones too. The law used to be, “Thou shalt not commit adultery”. Today, however, marriage breakdown is common. Many people accept the idea of living together outside of marriage. Those not personally involved feel it is none of their business. If it makes the people concerned happy, then it’s alright for them. The standard is only judged by whether or not it might damage the health or happiness of others. The prevailing idea today, therefore, has changed the law. It is “better” to stick to one partner. It may be quite acceptable to commit adultery provided you are careful. This is not God’s way.

Even this dramatic lowering of standards is not enough for some. A television programme showed some of the dangers of AIDS. Young people interviewed, however, were not concerned. “You have to die sometime,” was their attitude. “You could be run over by a bus:” Their thinking is clear. Whatever the consequences, they would do as they liked. Not only is the law itself disregarded, the results of ignoring it are also despised. Neither law nor punishment will deter them.

The Bible speaks plainly against all immorality. Sex outside marriage is not right. Homosexuality is also condemned.

“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God:” (1 Corinthians 6:9‑10)

Our society has reached a stage then when everyone does what they think is right. The standard is no higher than a man’s own conscience. In practice this means that there is really no standard at all. Our world is very sick.

This is a frightening state of affairs. No wonder that more and more people are suffering mental and nervous disorders. Pressure, anxiety and depressive ailments mean more drugs and tranquillisers to help us cope.

Two Kinds of Fear

Fear has two meanings. We need the right kind of fear, Godly fear and reverence for God’s laws. Then we should have no cause for fear, the wrong fear, or terror, of what the future holds. If we lived our lives God’s way, we would not need to be frightened of men.

Some are not afraid, of course. They point to the fact that the world has always been a wicked place. Even in Victorian times people wondered whatever the world was coming to. They felt then, as they feel now, that “things can’t get much worse” : Things are not really very different.

It is true that human nature is the same in every age. It is true that there were killer diseases then for which cures have since been found. It is not true that things are no different. there have always been wars. But only in the last few decades has man had the capacity to destroy the whole human race. Three A‑bombs were used in 1945. One was a test. The other two killed a minimum of 140,000 people then. Many thousands more have died slowly since. That was only the start.

God will not permit the destruction of the whole world, however. He has said through the prophet:

“For thus says the LORD, Who created the heavens, Who is God, Who formed the earth and made it, Who has established it, Who did not create it in vain, Who formed it to be inhabited; ‘I am the LORD, and there is no other… ‘“ (Isaiah 45:18)

God will intervene in the affairs of our world. He will ensure that His purpose cannot be thwarted. Many will doubt this. Peter warns of those who will mock at the idea of God’s intervention. They will claim that nothing changes. Everything carries on in the same old way. Peter points to the flood as proof that God has intervened before. He is a God of judgment.

He has said that He will destroy those who destroy the earth. He will not allow things to get out of control. He will fill the earth with His glory.

Poverty and Riches?

Where does that leave you and me? Does it have anything to do with famine at one end of the world and a butter mountain at the other? Will it have any bearing on the violence on our streets? Can it alter harmful political influences that your children might be subject to at school? Will it make any difference to the problems of drugs or inflation?

The answer to that is largely a personal one. Are we the people who think our children should go to Sunday School but have no time for God ourselves? If so, the answer may be “No”. It will make no difference. When God fills the earth with His glory, we shall not be there. The people of whom Peter spoke when God intervened before were like that. They had no time for God.

Jesus says:‑

“But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.” (Matthew 24:37‑39)

The tragedy of this situation is “they did not know”. All kinds of things were going on around them. The Bible describes the days of Noah in these terms:‑

“... that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.” (Genesis 6:5,11)

The world was a terrible place. It had a face we would have recognised, violent and filthy. Some “innocent” people must have been concerned, but they did not turn to God. They were worried and frightened by what they saw, but they did not ask Noah about his faith. They were not with him in the ark. Despite all this they would not turn to God for an answer.

No Time For God?

The words of Jesus show us why. They were just too busy with the ordinary everyday things of life. God had been crowded out. The things they were doing were not especially wicked. Buying and selling is a way of life. Going out for meals, planning your wedding and the future all seems reasonable. What happened elsewhere was not their concern. They were just too wrapped up in their own affairs. They were not hurting anyone, but neither were they pleasing God.

Until it was too late. They had not wanted to know about how God saw their standards or situation. They did not care until God’s judgments fell and they were swept away.

Jesus says it will happen again. The flood will not happen again. But its lesson has not been learned. Despite all the warnings, Jesus says men will again take no notice until it is too late. God’s judgments will find them unprepared.

CHAPTER 36

THERE was a letter waiting for me when I reached home. It was from an insurance man. It began by pointing out that we live in dangerous times. With a spate of burglaries and a stabbing in the area, no‑one could deny that.

Then it asked some personal questions:‑

Would my family be able to manage if I died suddenly? Had I made sufficient provision for my retirement? Had I protected my savings...

Now, insurance is not a matter in which the Bible lays down rules. Too often churches try to go beyond what the Bible says. They make rules for their members about giving money, about smoking, and so on. The Bible lays down principles for us. It is for each person to live by those principles in the best possible way.

The Bible says we should put our trust in God. It says that we should not be anxious about tomorrow. The future is God’s concern. How we see insurance in the light of these principles is for each one to determine. The level of an individual’s faith will determine his or her response. Our consciences work at different levels. Some feel the need for some insurance. Others feel it right to depend entirely on God. We cannot legislate for one another in these matters.

A Question of Insurance?

But I found myself wondering if the insurance man had asked himself these questions. Did he know what would happen to him if he died suddenly? Had he made sufficient provision for his future by attention to the word of God? Had he perhaps protected his savings but neglected things of greater value?

A few days later the letter was followed up with a call. Eddie was a nice bloke, friendly and genuine. We chatted about the state of the world and then got down to business.

We talked about the blessing of the family sharing my faith. This would make a difference if anything unfortunate should happen to me. Then we discussed how my faith colours my attitude to retirement. I expect Jesus Christ to return before I have the chance to retire. From the signs the Bible gives, his coming looks very near.

Even if it doesn’t happen quite so quickly, I would rather put any spare income to use. Better to be helping others than to aim to amass a fortune I may or may not need. If retirement comes, I pray I shall have the health to enjoy using it wisely. Wealth, however, is not synonymous with happiness.

“What about saving up for things?” said Eddie. “Surely you have things you want ‑ a boat, a caravan? Have you thought about the little girl’s wedding in a few year’s time?” (She was ten!)

The Real Purpose of Life

I smiled. “No,” I said, “I can’t think of anything like that I really want. I may need a small amount for minor repairs to the house if Jesus hasn’t come. Life isn’t about boats and caravans and weddings though, is it?”

Eddie had to admit that it wasn’t. I showed him the passage in Luke’s gospel where it says:‑

“...for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” (Luke 12:15)

Jesus went on to tell a parable about a rich fool whose schemes came to nothing. He had made the mistake of leaving God out of his plans. “Life is more than food;” he taught in the same chapter. “And the body is more than clothing.”

He rounded off his advice like this:­

“For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you.” (Luke 12:30‑31)

I think Eddie was a little taken aback. Clearly, in his business he was used to meeting people who do want lots of things. In fact, many people are obsessed with “getting”. They spend their lives saving up for this or that. Some things are just a craze. The CB, the computer games, the stereo, the video each give way to something else. In big things too it’s the same. You have only to consider how many callers there are at the door. Double glazing, patio doors, home insulation and designer kitchens are a fair sample. Then of course there are improved security systems to protect them all!

Where To Get Off?

So it goes on in a never‑ending spiral. It’s a treadmill which is very difficult to get off. There is an even greater problem, however.

Most people do not want to stop. Materialism has become their god. It is a form of idol worship. Perhaps you think that is an exaggerated statement. Yet a god is only whatever finds pride of place in our lives. It is the thing that comes first in our affections. It is the thing on which we lavish most attention.

For some people it may be a car. Others spend all their time and resources on D.I.Y. Today people are scathing about those who, in ignorance, used to worship stone statues. We would criticise the foolishness of men who would pray to a carved out tree trunk. Yet the modern idols of jewellery, steel and brick are no different.

Abstract things can be idols too. Education or ambition sometimes find too important a place. Some people are “workaholics”. To them nothing matters quite so much as their work.

The reason that these have become idols is that people think they may bring happiness. Pursuits are tried and discarded. Gadgets and equipment are acquired like toys and forgotten again. Relationships are entered into and overturned again when they fail to provide that elusive quality.

People believe that they have a right to be happy. They do not always feel quite so strongly the need to make others happy. It is an attitude of take rather than give.

The Goal of Happiness

The Bible does not promise us happiness now. It leads us to think outwards from ourselves. It teaches that we should want to make God happy first. We, should put His will before our own.

In this life contentment is a greater prize than happiness. We need to learn to be content with our situation. We have to make the best of circumstances. We must rejoice in what God has given us and try to see His purpose through it. Dissatisfaction and complaint are the signs of selfishness. Thankfulness and trust in Him are what God seeks from us.

This is a hard lesson for a world bent on improving its lot now. Man has exploited the ground, the earth’s raw materials, the animals and other men through greed. The result is instability, insecurity and fear.

Sometimes when I sit listening to the news, I think of dear old Gladys. I was in “digs” in the north of England. Gladys Stevens was the landlady. She was a kind lady in many ways, but just a little eccentric. She would perform yoga exercises on the dining room floor. Even the arrival home of her lodgers could not interrupt this routine!

Escaping From Reality

The thing that comes most readily to mind, however, is her attitude to the news. Whenever a news bulletin came over the radio, she would leap up and turn it off. The news frightened her. She could not bear to listen to, or think about, what was going on in the world. I can picture her now almost running across the room to press the button. She was terrified she might hear too much.

Poor Gladys! She was living proof of what Jesus says about “men’s hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth ...”

Others have different ways of hiding from the truth. A colleague at work couldn’t bear to be quiet. She carried a transistor around continually. It was a form of escapism. It prevented her having to think about problems and worrying.

There is no need to fear the news or the future. Jesus has told us what lies ahead. He has warned us what to expect. There are dangerous times ahead, but Jesus can help us to weather the storms. It would be wrong to be proud of knowing how things will end. It would be wrong to be presumptuous of God’s care. At the same time, Jesus has said that we have no need to worry if we are committed to him:‑

“Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.” (Luke 21:28)

This is easy to say. Some sincerely desire to share this confidence, but do not feel they can. “I wish I had your faith,” they say. “Where do you find this trust in God?”

Faith is something we all have. It is not a magical commodity that some have and others don’t. It is not an excuse for things that cannot be explained. Faith means believing.

All of us believe in something. Most of us believe in ourselves. There is no‑one can do a job as well as I can! Most of us feel like that at some time or another.

We want to believe in God. We believe that He is able to do what we ask. Then we begin to doubt. What if He doesn’t? Our minds begin to think of alternatives. Perhaps then I could do it this way instead.

In our thoughts we are saying: “If God doesn’t help me, I’ll do it myself” It’s a little sort of “safety valve” we allow ourselves, a kind of “get out” clause just in case. This undermines faith and totally destroys it. It places self above God and makes us stronger than He.

When Jesus says “Have faith in God,” he is not asking the impossible. He is asking us to look at our lives and find out what things we trust. When we realise where we have put our faith, he asks us to transfer it. “Have faith IN GOD,” he says. God is more deserving of our confidence than anything or anyone else.

Faith has then to grow. It may be quite tiny to start with. Jesus said that if faith was like a grain of mustard seed it would be possible to move mountains. Some think that Jesus was talking about the amount of faith. This seems unlikely. Faith is not something to be measured like that. I can’t say that my faith is the size of my thumbnail, or that I have a bowlful. Faith is not that kind of thing.

The point about the mustard seed is its growth. It is a tiny seed, but the plant grows and grows and becomes a small tree. Faith must be kept growing. We trust God a little. He is deserving of our confidence. We trust Him a little more. If we keep our faith increasing like that, we shall one day be able to move the mountains in our lives.

It’s all a question of putting God first.

CHAPTER 37

ONE of the delights of living in York was to be able to walk around the city walls. It was not a circular tour. Part of the wall is missing. Those parts that remain in‑tact, however, were my regular Sunday morning outing for some time.

I was generally alone. In spring the daffodils were a beautiful picture on some of the grassy slopes below. The thing I remember best, however, is the feeling of elevation the walls gave. They were just high enough to make me feel that I was not part of the “rat race” below. I could look down on the traffic and pedestrians who were unaware of being watched. They were like little ants scurrying here and there. Everyone was busy doing something or going somewhere. Soon I would be back down there doing my share of rushing about too!

Perhaps you too have reflected on life in this way. Perhaps you have wondered how God sees us when He looks down at us. How futile our activities must sometimes seem to Him. All that energy and effort expended to achieve... what?

At the end of the day it is how God sees us that really matters. We can fairly easily deceive other people. We can pretend to be something we are not. We can make believe that we are righteous because we look respectable. But we cannot fool God. It is how we appear to Him that is important.

Seeing Things God’s Way

The Bible helps us to see things from His point of view. It helps us to see ourselves as He sees us.

Jesus once told a parable about a man who must have found this difficult to do. He was young. He saw things only from his own standpoint. He asked his father if he might have his share of the inheritance early. Unaware of the sadness he caused, he left the family home and went away.

We call this man the prodigal son. It didn’t take him very long to get through his fortune and to be in need. Eventually he came to his senses. Back home his father had slaves. They were well treated, for his father was a good man. They had board and lodging provided. Yet he, a member of the family, was worse off than those slaves. He had no food and had taken work minding pigs.

He resolved to swallow his pride and go back. He rehearsed a little speech with which to greet his father. “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants.”

The father listened to the son admitting how foolish he had been. He heard him confess his guilt. He never allowed him to ask to be made a servant. The father was glad to have him back as a member of the family. “This my son was dead and is alive again,” he said. “He was lost and is found.”

I don’t think the young man thought he had ever been lost or dead. He had certainly never taken his last breath and been put into a grave. He had not died in that sense. Yet he was “dead” to that family.

None of us has difficulty in understanding what Jesus is saying. He is not using death in the way we normally think of it. Just imagine that we had to draw a conclusion about death from this chapter alone. We would have to say that death is being away from the father’s house. Life for the prodigal was coming back home. This is so important that Jesus makes the father in the story repeat the words., He wants to be sure we know the meaning.

Death

In the Bible death is sometimes spoken of in this way. It is being away from God. It is not obeying the message of Jesus. It is putting other things in our lives before God. In these ways we can be “dead” even while we are alive. We may feel alive, but we may not be so to God. Paul says this:

“But God, who is rich in mercy, because of his great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ…” (Ephesians 2:4,5)

In other words, we are dead in God’s eyes for so long as we remain in our sins.

This is a very serious matter, and not one to be treated lightly. It may come as quite a shock to many to realise this, but it is what the Bible teaches. It is easily possible that any of us can be dead in God’s sight even while we think ourselves to be alive.

This is an unpleasant thought. Until we can accept it, however, we shall not be able to remedy it. Unless we appreciate the seriousness of our situation, we shall not value God’s help.

The Bible shows that we can be rescued from this kind of death. It shows that we can come alive. This involves a sort of paradox. In order to come alive in God’s sight, we have to die! Let me explain.

We have all of us lived for ourselves. Even if we are not guilty of dreadful crimes, we are still sinners. We are sinners because we have lived for ourselves and not for God who made us. The Bible says we need to “die” to that way of life. We need to “kill” the selfishness. We need to “mortify” (put to death) our old selves and all our wrong doing.

Another Death

Baptism has already been mentioned in a chapter about the work of Jesus. It is in baptism that God forgives our sins. Baptism is also the “death” that we must die if we want to live for God.

“do you not know that as many of us as were baptised into Christ Jesus were baptised into his death? ...For the death that he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life that he lives, he lives to God. Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:3,10‑11)

There are people I know who claim to have been baptised, but who have not died in this way. Their baptism was carried out when they were small. They did not renounce an old way of life. They were not capable of willingly taking on a new one. Such are not truly baptised.

It is essential that we come home to God with the attitude of the prodigal son. We must appreciate our true situation before Him. We have to be willing to “eat humble pie”, to admit our foolishness, to repent. We have all squandered the father’s goods. If we have wasted nothing else, we have all wasted a part of our lives. God’s gift of life has been misused, spent on ourselves. We need to see ourselves as we appear to God and repudiate the past.

If, then, we are willing to serve God, He will receive us as children. We can be “alive unto God”. We shall matter to Him. He will count us as part of His family.

CHAPTER 38

THE Norwegians are expert campers. I thought I knew a lot about Norway, as I had lived there for two years. I had never been camping, however. I knew nothing about that. So, whilst I had some knowledge of the people and the language, I had no idea about life in a tent.

I had expected to have to rough it a bit. The bed would be hard. I would need lots of warm clothes. Meals would be a bit primitive. Travelling light would be essential. No doubt I would be glad of home comforts by the end.

Imagine our surprise, then, on the first night, to see the natives setting up a home from home. They were organised beyond compare. There were no picnic hampers and primus stoves coming out of their cars. Instead, out came the portable T.V., electric mixers, hairdryers and small ovens (the microwave wasn’t on the market then). There was everything but the proverbial kitchen sink! Whatever the Norwegians were going to do with their weekend, doing without was not one of them!

All too easily, though, we can think that gadgets make up the home. We fall into the trap of believing that happiness depends on them. We regard them as an essential part of family life, when they are not.

Houses or Homes?

This is one of the reasons for today’s tragic breakdown in marriage and family life. Many have wrong priorities. They are not aware that it was God who instituted marriage. They do not see the need to make Him the foundation of their lives. Yet the Bible says:

“Unless the LORD builds the house, They labour in vain who build it.” (Psalm 127:1)

The “house” here is not the bricks and mortar, of course. It is the family. If God is not at the foundation and heart of the family, it is destined for failure.

When God created man He did not wish him to be alone. He therefore created .woman. She was unique. Man was created from the dust. Woman alone was created from something living, from the man. Man and woman therefore belong together in a unity.

For this reason, God said, a man and woman were to be one and to stick together.

“Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” (Genesis 2:24)

Jesus said:‑

“So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.” (Matthew 19:6)

Men and women alone, made in God’s image, have the capacity to love. This ability is not possible in the rest of the animal kingdom. It is wrong to break the promises that are made at marriage.

Men living with men and women with women was not part of God’s purpose. It is strongly condemned in the scriptures. It is appreciated that some have a tendency towards those of the same sex. Just like a tendency to flare up in anger, or to impatience, such traits have to be controlled.

The Ideal of Marriage

A marriage can only really be successful when both parties see the need to make sacrifices. They must love one another so much that they are prepared to sacrifice their individuality for the marriage. They are each to love the other for their partner’s sake, not for their own sake.

Husbands are to exhibit the same concern for their wives as Jesus Christ showed for the church. They must be willing, if necessary, to sacrifice their own lives for the sake of the wife. Jesus gave his life that repentant sinners might live.

Wives are to be submissive to their own husbands. There is no place in the Godly family for the misplaced values of equality. In God’s design the man must take the lead with all the responsibilities that places on him. The wife must accept and encourage his leadership.

Eve was created from the side of Adam. Husband and wife are to walk side by side, helping one another. Woman was not made from the head to be the boss, nor from the feet to be oppressed. She is to be loved and respected.

God need not have placed men and women in families. He could have devised some system of communal living. He could have allowed a system in which people chose partners for sex and then moved on. He did not. God ordained marriage to produce a secure and stable background for children. The family unit is God’s idea. It can only succeed when we recognise this and make Him the centre of it.

In the Old Testament Israel were brought out from slavery in Egypt and made God’s people. The nation was known as the “children” of Israel. As they journeyed to the land God had promised they were carefully marshalled and grouped. They did not march in any order they chose. Their camp was no haphazard pitching of tents anywhere.

God put them in their families and tribes. Their camp was square, grouped around the tabernacle. This was God’s tent in the centre of the camp. All their homes faced inwards to the things of God.

The Family Centre

Most things in Israel were done in the home. Education was not delegated to schools. There were no homes for the elderly. Things revolved around the family which took its lead from God.

Our lives today should be God‑centred too. Now, as then, each member of the family has a part to play.

Father’s responsibilities are based on the example of God. He is the great Provider. Father is responsible for the family. It is his family. It carries his name. He is the decision‑maker. He is also responsible for the discipline, as God lovingly disciplines His children.

In God’s plan of things, mother is the home‑maker. She is not to be chained to the kitchen sink, but she is to “keep” the home. She must monitor the influences that enter and affect her home. They may be friends, literature, films or other things. Mum must ensure that the influences to which her children are subjected are the right ones.

Children continue the family. They bear the name and carry it on. They need to be brought up in the stability of a home where it is plain they are loved. They must learn to respect and honour parents. This is good training for respecting God and giving Him honour. Right principles are vital to their proper growth in the ways of God.

These are ideals seldom accepted today. Yet they are what family life is really all about. It is essential for happiness that the family revolves around the things of God. He has established the pattern. The failures of today are the result of ignoring this pattern.

The result of putting these ideals into practice is relationships that are stable. Families aware that happiness is not about trappings, but about God, are united and strong.

CHAPTER 39

IF you have ever played “donkey”, you will know that it can be a lot of fun. A huge drawing of the animal is pinned up, minus its tail. The tail, a piece of material or rope, has then to be pinned on by the players. The snag is that they are blindfolded first. The tail can finish up in some unlikely places, and especially if the donkey is moved around a little too!

I am always reminded of this game when people talk about suffering. “I cannot possibly believe in a God who allows such dreadful suffering;” I hear people say. “How can there be a God if He lets such things go on?” “If there is a God, why doesn’t He do something about it?”

These are understandable questions, but they are a bit like the tail of the donkey. They cannot be properly understood until the whole picture is in place.

Once we appreciate more of God’s purpose and love, it becomes easier to understand the place of suffering. And it becomes easier to accept what we cannot understand or explain.

The Reason For Suffering

True love does not mean giving in to every whim. Love cares. It is concerned with what is best for the one loved. If we really love someone we sometimes have to tell them things, for their own good, that may be painful. We have to “be cruel to be kind”, we say. Flattery is a deceitful thing as is plain from this proverb:‑

“Faithful are the wounds of a friend, But the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.” (Proverbs 27:6)

God disciplined Israel in that way. He allowed them to suffer famine circumstances. Then He provided food for them. The Bible tells us why Israel had to suffer in this way.

“...the LORD your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments or not. So he humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna…” (Deuteronomy 8:2‑3)

The love of God sometimes involves suffering and sadness therefore. Look at these seemingly strange words about Jesus from which it is clear that God’s love is different from the way we think:‑

“Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So, when he heard that he was sick, he stayed two more days in the place where he was.” (John 11:5‑6)

Jesus did not rush to be at Lazarus’s bedside. Instead he deliberately stayed where he was and allowed Lazarus to die. It did not mean that Jesus loved Lazarus any less because of this. It means that this is a love we do not always readily comprehend.

From this we must conclude that suffering and grief often have a purpose. In the lives of those who love God they may often have a part to play. God’s love is more concerned with our eternal well‑being. He may use things which we regard as dreadful and tragic as part of our training. By these, He may test, and shape, and prepare for eternal life, those He loves.

There is much suffering, however, which is not of God at all. Indeed, by far the greatest suffering is brought about by man. It was because Adam sinned that corruption first came into the world. It was man’s sin that caused the advent of disease and death. It is because we too are sinners that we are subject to such things.

From God or Man?

Man’s inhumanity to man is easily the major cause of suffering. Famines and disasters are often the result of his greed and folly. It is his hatred and avarice which lie at the root of all wars. The huge arsenals of weapons testify to our foolishness. We may say we desire peace, but the evidence in every nation is all the other way.

Even though there may occasionally be a truce in the stockpiling of weapons, it is only temporary. All the peace agreements in the world are doomed to failure ultimately. True peace can only be based on righteousness, and man is not righteous.

“The work of righteousness will be peace, And the effect of righteousness, quietness and assurance for ever.” (Isaiah 32:17)

Why doesn’t God do something about it?

He has! God has intervened by sending Jesus. God will put a stop to this headlong rush to destruction in which man is involved. It is the righteous life of Jesus Christ which has ensured that eventually our world will have peace. Jesus is coming back to disarm forcibly the nations and create the peace we need.

“For out of Zion shall go forth the law, And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. He shall judge between the nations, And shall rebuke many people; They shall beat their swords into ploughshares, And their spears into pruning‑hooks; Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, Neither shall they learn war any more.” (Isaiah 2:3‑4)

It is no use then to use suffering to pretend that there is no God. We cannot have it both ways. We cannot question God’s existence and at the same time blame Him for the state of our world. Suffering is largely man’s responsibility. It may sometimes be used by God to discipline or train His people.

The Need For Repentance

This does not provide the complete answer to every cause of sadness. Sometimes there are apparently “innocent” victims for which no explanation is immediately available. Nor must we suppose that suffering is in any way a direct punishment for sin. Severity of suffering in no way reflects degrees of sin as Jesus himself said:

“Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.” (Luke 13:4‑5)

It is our repentance that is paramount here. One way or another we are all doomed without trust in God’s ability to deliver. Those who pour scorn on a God they cannot understand or accept, have no solution to suffering themselves.

Our need is to come in humility to the One who can save. We shall then find that suffering is the tail end of a complex story. If we can accept the love of God we shall wait in faith for the coming of the Lord. Then we may understand the whole of His purpose.

CHAPTER 40

ONE of the household jobs I still find most difficult is cutting bread. Most of the other jobs around the house I can manage. This one frustrates me. It is easy with a slicer, but that’s cheating! With a bread knife I usually finish up with a “doorstep”! If it’s not as thick as that, it is so wafer thin that it collapses into holes!

Some people have a similar problem with the “bread of life” : Their diet in God’s word is badly proportioned. A few struggle with large indigestible pieces. A larger number are half starving. It is important with our attitude to the Bible that we obtain the right balance.

There are those who feel that the Bible is not really necessary. They claim that it is possible to be a Christian without reading it. Similarly, people who rarely attend a church still regard themselves as Christians. They believe it is the life they live that matters most.

Mary was like that. She never avoided bus fares. She was honest about things she found or change she was given in shops. She was always ready to do anyone a good turn. She liked a bit of fun, but never at the expense of others. Mary did voluntary work with sick animals and belonged to a peace movement.

Mary believed in God, she said, and called herself a Christian. She could not find time to read about Christ in her Bible, however. She went to church occasionally when she was not too tired or busy.

A Good Life ‑ Not Enough

Now, it is not disputed that the life a person leads is important. There are indeed many good‑living people outside church congregations. Sadly, there are some church attenders who lead hypocritical and wicked lives. But all of this does not make belief unimportant.

A car needs both its steering mechanism and its braking system. Questions about which is the most important would be futile. Clearly the removal of either would result in disaster.

Similarly, true Bible teaching and a life based on right principles are both essential if we wish to please God. To pretend that one is more important than the other is just not possible.

A Christian is one who follows Christ. This means accepting the principles he taught. It also means trying to follow the pattern of his life. In the life of Jesus these two things were strongly related. It was his convictions that gave rise to the life he lived. Neither would have made any sense without the other.

Loving God

Jesus taught that the first and greatest commandment was love of God. This is why, even though Mary’s life was good, it was not good enough. She had not put God first. She did not feel that worshipping God was important. Instead she put humanity first. She got things the wrong way round. Jesus says that loving men and women is the second commandment.

“‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:37‑40)

There are many people like Mary who practise a social gospel. They do what they feel is important, but do not look at things from God’s point of view. They do not always consider whether their actions will please God or give glory to Him.

The Right Way To Worship

The same is true of worship. Many worship God in a way that gives them satisfaction. It makes them feel happy and good. It is assumed that it will please God too. Worship is not like a birthday present, however. We may not present just anything to God and expect that He will be grateful. God is a great King.

Men sometimes feel that sincerity is everything. Yet, with God, sincerity alone may not be enough. It is important to be sincere, but it is possible to be sincerely wrong. We can only worship God acceptably on His terms, in spirit and in truth.

Here then are just a few examples of the things that Jesus believed and that the Bible teaches. They are what the Bible calls doctrine, or teaching, but they all have implications for our lives. They are teachings which must percolate through into our attitudes and behaviour. They are beliefs that must be lived in everyday circumstances.

1. There is one God. This is not just a matter for acceptance. Our Lord made it practical when he said:‑

“Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one. And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.” (Mark 12:29‑30)

Belief in one God means worshipping only Him. It means having nothing in our lives that comes before Him. There must be nothing that finds pride of place in our hearts or affections above God.

2. Men and women are sinners and therefore die. This simple, Bible teaching is emphasised many times. It has practical implications. If we accept its truth we shall appreciate the brevity of life. We shall want to use our time wisely. We shall want to make the best of our lives for God.

3. Jesus can save us if we believe and are baptised into him. Believing this will mean that we shall want to be committed to him. It will mean that we shall need to understand more of Bible truths before we can believe them. It will also mean that baptism is not an “optional extra”, but the necessary start for a new life. We shall want to be born again and live a completely different life for Christ.

These are examples of the way in which, for the true follower of Christ, principles are linked to practice. These are the things that comprise a careful and humble approach to God’s word. They go to make up a balanced diet and a life pleasing to God.

It does matter what we believe. If we hold wrong ideas the pattern of our lives will be wrong too. If we are mistaken in our understanding of what God requires, our lives will not please Him. It is vital that we discover for ourselves the demands that God makes on us.

In this the Bible must be our guide. It is this that can correct our thinking. It is this that can bring balance to our lives. It is this that will give us right priorities and help us please God.

“... you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:15‑17)

CHAPTER 41

ONE day I intend to make a list of all the things that are blamed on religion! At the top I shall put “brown bread”!

It may seem strange, but people believe it. Anything the slightest bit out of the ordinary is assumed to be because of one’s beliefs. So, when the discussion turns to health foods, I confess to eating wholemeal bread. Someone is sure to say:

“Oh, is that part of your religion?”

This illustrates how unusual it is to meet someone with a faith. It is apparently so rare that such folk are regarded as “cranky”. People immediately begin to look for other odd traits as well.

Another thing that happens is that they judge religion by what happens to you. A friend of ours lost her husband. At around the same time her son had domestic problems. Neighbours were quick to point out that her religion didn’t seem to be doing much for her! They seemed to expect that in return for belief, life should be a bed of roses.

Blame Religion

It doesn’t work like that. If it did, there would be a great many more believers ‑ for the wrong reasons.

People blame religion for family strife and war. It is true that there have been some extreme groups whose conduct has deserved criticism. Teaching that sets out to divide families and to break up marriages has no foundation in Scripture.

The Bible shows that a believer’s first obligation is to God. It also shows, however, that he or she should try very hard to live at peace with everyone. The priorities must be right, but example preaches far better than words. The love of God in practice is a disciple’s duty towards the family.

Wars also are blamed on religion. The situation in the Middle East or in Northern Ireland it is often said is religious feuding. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Bible condemns going to war. It teaches that we should suffer wrong. It demands that the disciple be a law‑abiding citizen. It advocates prayer for rulers and governments.

Gun Fire

Sometimes choices have to be made. At such times God must come first. There is no question, however, of living by the sword or the bomb. The true Christian practises meekness. He anticipates a time when Jesus will come back to the earth in person. He will rule the nations with a rod of iron. He will compel their obedience. No government will be able to stand in his way.

Eventually war will be abolished. The Bible speaks of a time when things will change. Men shall make their military equipment into agricultural implements. The government of Jesus Christ will bring real and lasting peace.

Now, you may be thinking that you have heard all this before. I would not blame you for that. We have become very sceptical over the years. So many promises have produced so little. We feel that we are not prepared to fall for it again. But wait ...

Those promises were men’s promises. They were the dreams and schemes of politicians. They were the Utopia that was forgotten once its promise had brought them to power. The ideal world was always just round the corner. Something always prevented us quite taking hold of it.

So it always is. Men do not have the power to bring about all their schemes. They do not possess endless time in which to realise their ideals. They are men. The Bible says:‑

“Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help. His spirit departs, he returns to his earth; In that very day his plans perish.” (Psalm 146:3‑4)

God IS different. God is not making electioneering promises. God’s purpose will come to fruition without the help of man. He has the power to put His proposals into practice. David said:‑

“Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, Who only does wondrous things!” (Psalm 72:18)

Men may intend. God does.

Here are some more verses from that same psalm. They speak of a glorious future under Jesus. They promise a lasting peace based on justice and right.

His kingdom will not be shortlived. It will last:

“They shall fear you As long as the sun and moon endure, Throughout all generations ... His name shall endure for ever;” (verses 5,17)

It is to be a worldwide kingdom:

“He shall have dominion also from sea to sea, And from the River to the ends of the earth.” (verse 8)

None will be able to withstand his power:

“And his enemies will lick the dust ... Yes, all kings shall fall down before him: All nations shall serve him.” (verses 9,11)

The man in the street will be cared for. All forms of exploitation will disappear:

“He will bring justice to the poor of the people; ... And will break in pieces the oppressor ... He will spare the poor and needy ... He will redeem their life from oppression and violence; And precious shall be their blood in his sight.” (verses 4,13,14)

True worship will be instituted:

“Prayer also will be made for him continually, And daily shall he be praised.” (verse 15)

Prosperity will replace shortages and famine:

“There will be an abundance of grain in the earth, On the top of the mountains;” (verse 16)

These verses are not a “pie in the sky” idea. They are a prophecy, certain of fulfilment by Almighty God. They are not vague ideas, but a reality in His plan. They are about the kingdom of God which is to be established at the second coming of Jesus. They concern the earth we live in today, but springcleaned and beautified by Christ. That is why we pray “thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven”.

God’s True Kingdom

These verses do not refer to a kingdom in our hearts. They are not about the work of the church. Some feel that eventually the world will be put right by prayer. They believe that co‑operation and goodwill can solve everything. Church unity is one step towards this.

This can hardly be correct.

Reason is against it. It is not possible to put one good apple into a box of bad ones and turn the bad to good. Every time, the good apple is turned rotten by the others.

History is against it. For centuries man has been unable to alter things even when he has tried his best. The human race is rotten. Shock after the first world war led to the belief that it could not happen again. After World War II, men said it must never happen again. Today there is widespread fear of World War III.

The Bible is against it. It shows that the world will have reached an unprecedented state of wickedness. It shows that God’s intervention will be necessary. Jesus Christ will come at a time when he is desperately needed.

In a vivid parable, Jesus himself warned of the need to be ready. He spoke of his coming repeatedly. The words are in verse 36‑51 of Matthew 24. He said:‑

“But know this, that if the master of the house had known at what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not have allowed his house to be broken into.”

The coming of Jesus is to be as real as that. It is as if someone should tell you that a burglar were to visit you tonight. Obviously you wouldn’t sleep. Perhaps you picture yourself staying up all night, fully dressed. Perhaps you would sit with the telephone on your lap. Maybe you think you would stand by the door with something big and heavy! But you know what Jesus’ story means. You would be ready.

Real Hope For The World

We need to prepare for the return of Jesus to the earth. He is coming back in person.

Impossible? Too good to be true? Are you, like me, sick and tired of hearing of good news that never materialises? But can you afford to dismiss it?

This is not like a lucky prize draw. It’s not something where you post off personally allotted numbers and wait. It’s not something that depends on the odds, which are always stacked against it. This demands faith and commitment, yet it cannot be earned. It is the result of God’s mercy, a mercy so great that even His son has been sacrificed. It is absolutely certain of being achieved.

Some shrug this off. Eternal life sounds boring anyway, they say. Who wants to live for ever? That is because their concept of God’s offer is all wrong.

Eternal life means eternal happiness. It doesn’t mean sitting around or stringing a harp all day long. There will be work to do, work which will be pleasant and rewarding. It will not be work to make us weary, for we shall enjoy eternal youth and eternal strength. It will be work to give satisfaction.

Others feel this sounds alright, but are suspicious. This is an understandable reaction. Here is a true story from many years back which may help.

A particular city was under siege. Enemy troops had it surrounded. They had taken up their positions some way off. They had been there for some time. Although the city had good defences, it was now facing starvation.

There was a man of God in the city who prophesied that God would put an end to their famine conditions. His words seemed impossible of coming true. He spoke of such prosperity that it was just unbelievable. One man openly poured scorn on what he said.

There were also some lepers forced to live outside the city because of their affliction. They felt that their plight was especially difficult. Outside the city they were dying because of the famine. Ultimately they were dying of their leprosy. They decided to surrender to the enemy. If they were pitied they would be given a meal. This would at least relieve their present misery. At worst, they would be killed, but ... they were dying anyway.

They made their way to the enemy camp only to find it deserted. Unknown to them the troops had heard sounds they took to be an attack from the rear. They had panicked and fled. The lepers enjoyed a meal, helped themselves to some of the things left behind, and moved to another tent.

Good News

At that point they began to feel sorry for their city, afraid of a siege that no longer existed. They returned and reported their findings to the guard on the gate. The guard reported to the king who didn’t believe it!

He concluded that it must be a trick. The enemy knew they were short of food and were trying to draw them out. No doubt they had set an ambush for them. He dismissed the report.

Fortunately, the king had advisers who persuaded him that it was worth investigation. They sent two or three soldiers on horseback to see what the situation was. They reported back as the lepers had found and the city was saved. The word of the man of God came true. The man who mocked what he said, however, was killed in the crush. He fell in the gate as people crowded out to loot the enemy tents and was trampled to death.

Isn’t that just typical? Isn’t it just how people react today? Can’t you just see the king deciding it was all fake? The story is in 2 Kings 7.

People say that about religion. They feel that there must be some catch. No doubt there are unscrupulous people who pretend religious belief. Perhaps there are some who are looking for a big following, or easy money.

The Lord Jesus Christ freely gave his life. There was no catch. God, who does not desire that men should perish, sent him to open up a way of escape from certain death. We should be foolish to dismiss it out of hand. Let’s at least have the wisdom of the king’s advisers. Let’s at least investigate further.

This book comes to you free. Christadelphians make no charge for their literature. They are not out to make money or quick converts. They want you to look into the Bible for yourself. They want you to set aside prejudice and take a look. They ask you to compare everything you read with the Bible. Don’t take my word for it, check out what you have read here. Other books should never take the place of the Bible.

There’s no catch. Salvation is at stake.

CHAPTER 42

WHEN I think of patience, I think of Maisie and Alf. Alf’s mother had come to live with them. She was a nice old lady, but she was very demanding. Maisie looked after her well for many years, but it was not an easy task. Occasionally the problems would get her down.

She told me on one occasion that she often prayed for greater patience. It never seemed to do any good, however. The situation only got worse and worse. The old lady got more and more cantankerous. Maisie was at her wit’s end.

Then she began to realise that her prayer was being answered by her circumstances. God does not give us patience on a plate. Christian virtues are not handed out like that. We have to learn patience. Through their worsening circumstances, Alf and Maisie were being taught patience.’

God Teaches Us Like Children

Life sometimes has to be like that. If we truly love our children we shall teach and train them. It is for their sakes. We want them to grow up to be liked. We want them to have nice children. As a wise Father, God treats His children in that way.

There are times when suffering comes into the life of the Christian. It is not a sign that God has ceased to love us. Think of what our Lord Jesus Christ suffered. Such things may be essential for our development. God may see them as a necessary part of our training.

Baptism is a commitment to the will of God. There is no little switch on the human mind that can change its thinking overnight. We shall need to change, to become more like God in our ways. Being different from others around us can be hard work. We shall need to work at it.

Sometimes we shall find ourselves going back to the old routines. That is why Bible reading and prayer are important parts of the new life in Christ. We shall need continually the influence of God’s word to remind us of His ways.

Reading and Prayer

It is a good idea to establish a regular pattern for reading and for prayer. Some recent statistics suggested that a surprisingly large number of people pray. I wonder how many of those are prepared to listen to God through the Bible. Unless we are willing to lend an ear to what God has said to us, our prayer may be in vain.

Sin does not block prayer. There may be occasions when we feel unable to pray. There may be times when we feel so bad that we do not imagine that God will hear us. Yet there is always a way back if we are truly sorry.

If, however, we always want to talk, we become like precocious children. Why should God hear us then, if we are not willing to listen to what He has to say through the Bible?

“One who turns away his ear from hearing the law, Even his prayer shall be an abomination.” (Proverbs 28:9)

Some suggestions were made in an earlier chapter on how to get started. This verse shows the necessity of reading frequently. It is hard to stress too much the importance of hearing God’s word through the pages of Scripture.

Prayer, too needs thought and care. It is no light thing to come into the presence of the Almighty God. His majesty and holiness are easily overlooked. We live in a world where there are fewer and fewer things receiving our respect. Men are apt to become over‑familiar. Familiarity breeds contempt. Attitudes to God and His word become sloppy.

The Lord’s Prayer

The Lord’s prayer is the supreme pattern. It begins with worship and praise. It puts God in His proper place ‑ first. It reminds us that He is a perfect parent. He is in heaven, far above us in His ways and thoughts.

Then the prayer seeks God’s kingdom and His will. It is impossible to pray for this unless we are willing to do His will ourselves. That puts things in perspective.

It is in that context that Jesus then taught us to pray for daily bread. Our wants are to be governed by our desire for God’s will in our own lives. Our prayers will become less of a “shopping list”. We shall more readily identify with what God wants for us. He knows what is best.

Guidance is then asked as we make our way through the day. Forgiveness too needs to be sought. The prayer concludes by acknowledging God again.

A New Beginning

The two‑way communication of reading and prayer is vital. By these we may grow to be more like our Lord. Baptism is only a beginning. The new‑born Christian needs to cultivate the fruit of the Christian life. In answer God will bless him and guide his path. God is still at work today. If He controls the nations, He is well able to keep and help us.

Growth requires the right environment. When our son reached his teens he grew very fast. We did not see him growing, but we knew he was shooting up because his trousers always seemed to be at half‑mast! Every time we turned round, he had almost grown out of them again!

Growth is like that. You don’t see it, but you see the evidence of it. It takes place unnoticed where the conditions are right.

The Bible provides the right background for growth. However, there are many things in the world that might stunt that growth. As well as having the right influences, it is sometimes necessary to remove the wrong ones. Feeding the plants in my garden makes the weeds grow stronger too. They have to be dealt with firmly. They have to be taken out.

The Christian will see the need for separation from the world of Mr. Average. His aims are different. His aspirations are different. There will be pursuits he will judge unsuitable and places he will not wish to go. It is not a burden of having to give things up. It is rather the desire to be more closely related to things that are clean, wholesome and lasting.

The Head of The Church

It was for this reason that Jesus founded the church. The church is not the building, but the people. Jesus saw the need for us to live out his truth with others. He established the church so that people with the same aims may help one another. It is an environment for growing in a Godly way.

He is its head. The members are all part of his family. They are inter‑related and inter‑dependant. They are to work together in his service. They are far from perfect. They are human. Yet they have much to share in trying to use their lives to honour God.

That is really what this section of our book has been about. We have challenged many prevailing attitudes. Perhaps you have seen yourself in some of them. It is clear that some of them are not Godly, however. Christian really means “Christ’s one”, belonging to Christ. If we are serious about calling ourselves that, we shall need to stand apart from much in today’s world.

We must question whether the world’s obsessions with education, ambition and materialism are right. We must ask ourselves where we stand in relation to the morals of today.

We must ask ourselves what part the Bible plays in our lives. Accepting it as the word of God means giving it an important place. It is something precious. It is the right foundation for all faith and action. Sadly this may also mean standing aside from the teachings of other churches.

Decision Time

Life is short. It is a matter of urgency that we make the right use of it. It is vital to try and look at things from God’s perspective, to understand life’s purpose. It does matter what we believe. It does matter how we live.

We, as all others, are sinners. Without God we die an eternal death. By His mercy we could share a beautified and purified earth in His kingdom. It may sound unbelievably marvellous, but it is God who has promised.

It is a blessing to be able to put our trust in these things. We may commit ourselves through a baptism in which we understand and want to share Christ’s sacrifice. We and our families may discover a new dimension to life. We may begin to grow as part of God’s worldwide family.

There is just one problem ... yourself. And that enemy apathy who might just let you put this book away and do nothings.

But you are not going to do that, are you?