TFTBR - October 2012

Resource Manager

01 October 2012

1 Chronicles 15

Ezekiel 27

Luke 24

“ACCORDING TO THE WORD OF THE LORD”

How vital it is to do things – spiritual things especially, “according to the word of the LORD.” When we do not follow the instructions that come with the things we buy, or later lose them and guess what they said - we often have a problem!

Until Solomon built the magnificent Temple, the centre of worship for the people had been the Tabernacle. This contained God’s golden ark concealed within its’ Most Holy Place, it was where his people could come close to the presence of the true God - his dwelling place on earth. It had been built to God’s specific instructions after the people escaped from slavery in Egypt and received God’s laws at Sinai. Among the instructions God gave through Moses were instructions to the priests responsible for carrying the Ark from place to place [Numbers 4:15].

When King David captured Jerusalem he built a special tent to house the Ark there. We read yesterday [1 Chronicles 13] how, when the Priests started to bring the ark into Jerusalem, they failed to follow God’s instructions. The ark had been designed with poles to be slotted through it by which the Priests could carry it. Maybe these Priests thought they knew better because they loaded it on a cart instead. The oxen stumbled and a Priest had to grab the ark to prevent it falling off the cart: in handling the ark it seems his hands penetrated into its sacred interior. The result was - that the priest, Uzzah, died – it was a heart searching lesson from God.

In today’s reading [1 Chronicles 15] they are now very careful to follow the rules God had laid down to bring the Ark to the place David had prepared [1 Chronicles 15:1] and we read [1 Chronicles 15:15] “the Levites carried the ark of God on their shoulders with the poles as Moses had commanded according to the word of the LORD”. The ark was brought into Jerusalem and there was much rejoicing, music, singing and dancing. When we obey God properly there is great joy and this was a most special occasion, Jerusalem was starting to become ‘The Holy City.’.

We are told there is joy in heaven [Luke 15:7] when a sinner repents which happens when one is baptised; that is, immersed by going under the water as Jesus was [Mark 1:9-10]. There must be sadness when this is not done in the way commanded, when people think that sprinkling is sufficient, but to baptise means immersion, it is the plain meaning of the Greek word, baptizo.

Let us serve God properly, following his instructions; taking a lesson from what happened with the Ark; then, if we continue faithful to his word in heart and mind, fully appreciating his grace, we will have true joy and rejoicing when we come into God’s Holy City when Jesus returns – and an abundance of other joys.

-------

- DC

02 October 2012

1 Chronicles 16

Ezekiel 28

Galatians 1; 2

"LET THE HEARTS OF THOSE WHO ... "

How are you feeling in your heart? Depressed? Exalted? Or somewhere in between? We meditated on the various conditions of our heart’s emotions and of David’s as we read of his efforts to stir the people into a spirit of thanksgiving. They were bringing the sacred ark of the covenant into the tent (presumably to some degree a replica of the tabernacle) David had set up in Jerusalem. He had recently made the city his capital – it was thereafter called “the city of David.”[1 Chronicles 11:5,7]

He was a good organiser, “he appointed some of the Levites as ministers before the ark of the LORD, to invoke, to thank, and to praise the LORD …” [1 Chronicles 16:4] His organising at that time was particularly directed to helping the people to participate together in their devotion to the one eternal God. “On that day David first appointed that thanksgiving be sung to the LORD by Asaph and his brothers” [1 Chronicles 16:7]

And what a wonderful song David had written! What an example to everyone since then – and no less so to ourselves. Consider the words, “Oh give thanks to the LORD; call upon his name, make known his deeds … Let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice!” [1 Chronicles 16:8,10]

Let us rejoice in heart at this – a complete contrast to the sort of rejoicing of people when their footy team wins! David’s song continues, “Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his presence continually.” [1 Chronicles 16:11] We may well need to do this with the greatest intensity when our godless world really starts to fall apart. David writes much that is now – or will be – appropriate in our lifetime: “He is the LORD; his judgements are in all the earth. Remember his covenant forever; the word that he commanded to a thousand generations.” [1 Chronicles 16:14-15]

Then in 1 Chronicles 16:29 “Worship the LORD in the splendour (‘beauty’ AV) of holiness.” David wanted the people to feel specially “holy” in their rejoicing at that time. Have we ever had occasions when we feel that way? May we be there and really do so when the words of 1 Chronicles 16:31 are fulfilled; “Let the heavens be glad, and the earth rejoice, and let them say among the nations, ‘The LORD reigns.’”

-------

- DC

03 October 2012

1 Chronicles 17

Ezekiel 29

Galatians 3; 4

"WHO AM I?"

Today we read King David’s reaction to the special message from God that Nathan the prophet brought to him. Originally Nathan, on hearing of David’s desire to build a house (Temple) for God to ‘dwell’ in so that God’s ‘presence’ would be there as it had been in the ‘Ark’ – told him, “Do all that is in your heart, for God is with you” [1 Chronicles 17:2] But God sends Nathan back to David with a new and remarkable message. David is not to build God a Temple, but “the LORD will build you a house” [1 Chronicles 17:10] meaning a ‘house’ in the sense of a line of descent, like the present Queen of England is of ‘the house of Windsor.’

God’s message is about both David’s immediate chosen son – Solomon – but also, wonderfully beyond that to a much greater son “ … I will establish his throne forever. I will be to him a father and he shall be to me a son, I will not take my steadfast love from him … I will confirm him in my house and in my kingdom forever …” [1 Chronicles 17:12-14]

David’s reaction to this is the exclamation, “Who am I?” He is totally humbled and overwhelmed by this revelation of the ultimate future God had revealed. David, in humility says, “What is my house” you have “spoken of your servants house for a great while to come …” [1 Chronicles 17:17]; he prayerfully says, “and now, O LORD, let the word that you have spoken concerning your servant and concerning his house be established for ever, and do as you have spoken, that your name (reputation) will be established and magnified forever …” [1 Chronicles 17:23-24].

Jesus is constantly referred to as “the son of David” and will one day sit on David’s throne: the angel said this to Mary [Luke 1:32]. Should we not ourselves reflect on David’s exclamation “Who am I!”? As David was overwhelmed by the vision God revealed, should not we, if we are committed baptised followers of Christ, also say “Who am I?” to have such a prospect as Jesus reveals, for he said, “The one who conquers and keeps my works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations …” [Revelation 2:26]

What an awesome challenge when Christ is reigning and “he shall judge between the nations, and decide disputes for many peoples.” [isaiah 2:4] ‘Who am I’ we ask ourselves - to be part of the task of bringing order to this utterly chaotic world – made even more so by events at Christ’s return!

-------

- DC

04 October 2012

1 Chronicles 18; 19

Ezekiel 30

Galatians 5; 6

“I WARN YOU …”

Modern pictures often portray contrasting colours as do many manufactured things, it is the fashion. They rather hit you in the eye, whites and yellows, set against blues, blacks and reds. This is particularly the case in advertising, as they aim to grab our attention.

Our reading today in Galatians does not set colours in contrast – it sets human behaviour! It describes the good things in human behaviour that our God and our Saviour the Lord Jesus are looking to see. These are “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control” [Galatians 5:22-23]

In contrast, Paul then writes of the things that God and his Son, our Saviour hate to see, these are “sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality … jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries … envy, drunkenness, orgies and things like that” [Galatians 5:19-21]

Paul says about the second list, “I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God” Paul knew he needed to repeat the warning! How much more today is that warning needed.

There is no middle way! It’s either a broad way, which nearly all are following, or the narrow way. The ideal attitude is to have our minds ‘fixed’ in the direction of the kingdom – then our feet will stay on the narrow pathway. Beware of trying to walk on both paths, the believers at Laodicea were the worst example of trying to do this and were rejected because they were neither one thing nor the other, they were “lukewarm” [Revelation 3:16]

There is true joy and peace when we join together to follow the narrow way. It is a greater contrast that ever to human behaviour today - which is more empty of real meaning than ever before. Let us heed the warning, for writes Paul, “those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires”. [Galatians 5:24]

-------

- DC

05 October 2012

1 Chronicles 20; 21

Ezekiel 31

Ephesians 1; 2

"THE IMMEASURABLE RICHES OF HIS GRACE"

Paul’s letter to the Ephesians is a rich source of spiritual “food” – we must digest it carefully and slowly. The thought that first attracted our attention today was that God [Ephesians 1:4] “chose us in him (Christ) before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.” When Adam and Eve sinned and were put out of the Garden of Eden God had already planned for a seed (descendant) of the woman to “bruise the head” [Genesis 3:15] of the descendants of the serpent – an allegorical way of saying God had plotted the way ahead to counter-act on-going human sinfulness.

This happened, writes Paul, “through Jesus Christ (the ultimate special descendant of Eve), according to the purpose of his (God’s) will, to the praise of his glorious grace … through his (Christ’s) blood … in him we have redemption … the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us …” [Ephesians 1:5-8] The word “grace” is very special to Paul; it was an wondrous act of grace to blot out all Paul’s deeds in killing Stephen and persecuting countless believers. Grace is commonly defined as ‘unmerited forgiveness.’

In the next chapter Paul says God has made believers “alive together with Christ – by grace you have been saved – and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace …” [Ephesians 2:5-7] Our minds must digest this ‘picture’ thoughtfully to ‘see’ it correctly. Remember how Jesus described Capernaum as being “exalted to heaven” [Matthew 11:23] because of the abundance of the miracles they witnessed (but did not appreciate). Believers need to have hearts that are ‘lifted up’ in appreciation! In contrast, Paul deplores “the spirit that is now at work among the sons of disobedience.” [Ephesians 2:2] This is a ‘spirit’, an attitude of mind, that now totally dominates our world!

We do our best to turn away from this ‘spirit’ - but know we cannot be ‘perfect’ by our own will. But in Christ we have access to “his glorious grace” and to “the immeasurable riches” of that grace. Although these riches are far beyond what we deserve; they are a wonderful reassurance and strength for those struggling against sin as they travel along having committed the rest of their lives to Christ. The world is now suffering from extreme spiritual poverty, but those who establish a genuine spiritual relationship with God and his Son have “immeasurable riches.” “The coming ages”, when all will be revealed, are now very near.

-------

- DC

06 October 2012

1 Chronicles 22

Ezekiel 32

Ephesians 3; 4

"SPEAKING THE TRUTH IN LOVE"

Our 2 chapters today in Paul’s letter to the Ephesians [Ephesians 3; 4] reveal that the church there had become quite dysfunctional: Paul makes an impassioned appeal for the believers to regain their vision of the true way of belief and faith in Christ for there is only “one hope … one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all” [Ephesians 4:4-6] He urges them to be “no longer children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning … Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way … into him who is the head, into Christ.” [Ephesians 4:14-15]

That’s the first and greatest commandment isn’t it “to love the Lord thy God” with all thy facilities, being in utter awe of what God must be.

We can know what is true belief and it is sad that many do not; but that true knowledge must then be motivated by genuine “love.” Sadly over the many Centuries since Paul’s time there have been many winds of doctrine. Now note Paul next point, “from (Christ, the head) the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so it builds itself up in love” [Ephesians 4:15-16]

This describes the ideal! Are you doing your part properly? Paul told them to live “with all humility and gentleness, with patience bearing with one another in love …” [Ephesians 4:2] – a vital factor in “each part working properly.” In contrast the unbelievers around them (and us) Paul says, “walk … in the futility of their minds … alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them … they have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality … but that is not the way you learned Christ! … assuming you … were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus ...” [Ephesians 4:17-21] We must not let the world’s spirit influence us.

Sadly, the truth as it is in Jesus, is taught less and less these days – which makes it harder for “each part” to work properly. Paul appeals to them “to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created … in true righteousness and holiness.” [Ephesians 4:23-24] Let us make sure we are “speaking the truth in love” and being renewed in the spirit of our minds.

-------

- DC

07 October 2012

1 Chronicles 23

Ezekiel 33

Ephesians 5; 6

"IT IS GOD'S TIME!"

Our world is full of distractions – far more than in any previous age. Paul in today’s chapters in Ephesians [Ephesians 5:16] wrote the above words and they apply so much to the way we live our lives right now. He also wrote, “sexual immorality and all impurity … must not even be named among you … let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk, nor crude joking …” [Ephesians 5:3,4] The kind of life in Ephesus must have been a lot like today – but at least they did not have the Internet, TV, radio and magazines with so much of their content enticing their minds with every kind of impurity.

How can a true Bible believer have anything to do with so many of the attitudes and fleshly values which surround us and are so blatantly portrayed as entertainment! Now note what Paul then writes, “Instead, let there be thanksgiving” We must realize the point of that comment.

Are we thankful that we can see the true meaning and purpose of life? We should be! Those who are living for the experiences they can have each day, have their minds fed by the instincts of the flesh instead of the word of God. They have no thought at all that awesome judgements from God are hanging over the world of today.

This leads us to think of our readings today in Ezekiel [Ezekiel 33] and the blindness of the people in Jerusalem as to their impending fate and the prophet’s role and responsibility as a watchman. We have the same responsibility. God tells the prophet, “I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked.” His message was to be, “turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?” [Ezekiel 33:11]

Our message is the same, it may fall on deaf ears but we have a responsibility to try. Lot, living in Sodom, obviously tried, otherwise Abraham would not have thought there could be “fifty righteous within the city” [Genesis 18:24]

Peter comments on how God rescued “righteous Lot, greatly distressed by the sensual conduct around him” [2 Peter 2:7] Do you feel distressed? Are you making “the best use of the time”? Is it your time? No – it is God’s time! Let us spend it in the wisest way.

-------

- DC

08 October 2012

1 Chronicles 24; 25

Ezekiel 34

Philippians 1; 2

"MY SHEEP HEAR MY VOICE"

God sees the people of Israel as his sheep [Ezekiel 34:12] and is distressed at the failure of the shepherds to look after his sheep. This is the message we read in Ezekiel. The leaders in Israel had failed; they had no spiritual vision, no sense of responsibility. God’s message to them through Ezekiel was, “Ah shepherds of Israel who have been feeding yourselves! Should not shepherds feed the sheep?” [Ezekiel 34:2]

God had also seen the shepherds as watchmen, as we briefly noted yesterday. In Ezekiel 33, the watchmen had not done their job and as a result the people and the watchmen were doomed [Ezekiel 33:2-6] In today’s chapter, as we read on, there is a vision of hope, “I will rescue my flock”, says God, “they shall no longer be a prey … and I will set over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he shall feed them … and be their shepherd .. and I will make with them a covenant of peace” [Ezekiel 34:22-25].

But God has even more to say, with divine vision he is looking even further into the future. “They shall no more be a prey to the nations … they shall dwell securely and none shall make them afraid … and no longer suffer the reproach of the nations. And they shall know that I am the LORD their God … ” [Ezekiel 34:28-30]

David’s greater son is Jesus and he teaches the people in his day about the shepherd and the sheep. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” [John 10:11] The sheep that surrounded him at that time were the people of Israel, but he goes on to say, “Other sheep I have who are not of this fold. I must bring them also … and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd” [John 10:16]

The climax of his teaching on that occasion is, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish” [John 10:27,28] They will fall asleep until the resurrection, but then, what joy! Let us know the voice of Jesus, let us beware of “hirelings” [John 10:12) who think more of “feeding yourselves” as they did in Ezekiel’s time. Let us read the Bible every day, in that way we feed on good pasture and can become more conscious of “hirelings.”

-------

- DC

09 October 2012

1 Chronicles 26

Ezekiel 35

Philippians 3; 4

“ ... PRESS ON TOWARD THE GOAL”

The Apostle Paul is very emotional as he expresses his thoughts in his letter to the Philippians. He helps us to realize that a fully committed belief in Christ goes hand in hand with a fullness of conviction which results in a living relationship day by day with our Lord Jesus.

This comes across to us in what Paul writes here. His words, to be fully appreciated, require our emotional meditation if we are to capture the fullness of his message. Paul is greatly distressed about those who have failed to achieve this vital attitude of commitment, an attitude created by seeing the unseen! Know what we mean? This must be at the heart of all true and genuine lives of faith. It is true that there will be occasions when such a vision fails, men like David and Elijah experienced this.

The letter of Paul to the Philippines is the most positive of all his letters, yet even at Philippi he had many failures to grieve over. He writes of “many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ.” [Philippians 3:18] What were they doing to make them enemies? One thing Paul says is “their God is their belly”!! It reminds us of the parable of Jesus about the man who had his mind focused on this life’s blessings and said to himself, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years, relax, eat, drink, be merry.” [Luke 12:19] This is the aim of so many today whether they have “ample goods” or not. Without Christ, lives many lived to this purpose can and will come to a sudden end.

Paul sums up the attitude that distressed him by stating, they have their “minds set on earthly things.” [Philippians 3:19] Undoubtedly these did not see they were doing this, they would usually find time to go and worship for an hour or two on the first day of the week.

The most positive part of Paul’s message is his appeal, “Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us” [Philippians 3:17] “One thing I do … I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus … let us hold true to what we have attained.” [Philippians 3:13,14,16] Let us all press on and “hold true,” praying for those who cause our tears.

-------

- DC

10 October 2012

1 Chronicles 27

Ezekiel 36

John 1

"GREATER MEANING"

Today we started reading the Gospel of John. It is one of the most challenging books to understand. But the Bible would lose our continuing interest if its meaning was immediately plain as we read it. Often we have to carefully think about what we read. This is God’s wisdom in the way he has caused it to be written. It never fails to interest us, especially when we suddenly see new connections of thought as our knowledge of God’s word increases.

The problem is made greater in a few cases because translators may have a fixed idea in their minds as to the intent behind the words they are translating. John’s Gospel begins by using the word WORD. “In the beginning was the WORD” In the Greek this is the word logos. The lexicon (Vines) states it is “the expression of thought” - conception or idea, also a saying. In the way John uses it, sometimes it is translated as saying [eg John 4:47,49] in the context of Jesus speaking to his hearers. A primary meaning is a ‘spoken word’

This leads us to recall that Genesis 1 is all about what God said, words which resulted in life appearing on earth, God’s word was spoken and things happened “in the beginning”. All that the people heard in the wilderness was God speaking from the top of the mountain. God was known by his WORD, no one saw God he was known only by his voice.

The translators confuse us in John 1 when they start to use the word “Him” Earlier translators (Tyndale) used the word “it.” The best way to get the meaning is to use the noun instead of the pronoun. For example John 1:3 is better read as “All things were made through a word, and without a word was not anything made that was made” (Look at Isaiah 55:11)

But we can see a greater meaning here; a special spiritual meaning – that is, that the words of Jesus had the power to bring eternal life to those that accepted them. This would result in a new spiritual creation leading to a race of immortal spiritual beings when Jesus comes again. Read carefully John 1:12, “…to all who did receive him, who believed his name, he gave the right to become ‘children of God’” Those who believe in Jesus “receive him”! Which means? It means we think that he comes to dwell in the new believer and the full reality of this will be experienced when he returns. Read and think about John 14:23

-------

- DC

11 October 2012

1 Chronicles 28

Ezekiel 37

John 2; 3

"BORN AGAIN"

These words of Jesus to Nicodemus, the Jewish teacher who came to him by night, challenge our thinking and understanding. We need to understand them within the context of the unfolding words of Jesus. Many Christians like to say they are “born again,” but what did Jesus mean?

Nicodemus admitted. “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him” [John 3:2] His words lead Jesus to respond, “unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God” [John 3:3]. The ESV footnote says, ‘the Greek is purposely ambiguous and can mean both again and from above” This means, we believe, the action of God in responding to what he sees in the heart of the one seeking to be re-born.

We recall God’s words through Isaiah, “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him (or her) who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite.” [isaiah 57:15]

Thus there is a ‘rebirth’ in the heart of one who is fully “born again” because of the action of he who is above.

The visible action of this is then created by the person themselves in being ‘born of water’ as happened on the day of Pentecost [Acts 2:37,38]. Later in the chapter we note that John Baptist’s disciples comment on how “all are going to him” (Jesus) and “look he is baptising” [John 3:26,22; 4:1,2 – the disciples of Jesus doing the baptising]

However, many were “not receiving his testimony!” Then the comment is made, who ever receives his testimony sets his seal to this, that God is true” [John 3:33] This reaction to Jesus’ teaching is evidence that one is also born of the spirit. The opposite to this is, “He who is of the earth, belongs to the earth and speaks in an earthly way” [John 3:31]. We must ask ourselves – in what way do we speak? This is evidence we been born of water and of the spirit?

-------

- DC

12 October 2012

1 Chronicles 29

Ezekiel 38

John 4

"PRAISE YOUR GLORIOUS NAME"

We tend to give only passing attention to our Chronicles reading because our other readings in Ezekiel 38 and John 4 provoke so much thought. But in Chronicles we have the climax of the end of David’s life.

Consider the scene: he had made great provision for building the Temple, others had followed his example and “the people rejoiced because they had given willingly, for with a whole heart they had offered freely to the Lord” [1 Chronicles 29:9].

Now consider carefully how David offers the final public prayer of his life. “Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all. And now we thank you, our God, and praise your glorious name.” [1 Chronicles 29:11-13]

Now take special note of the sudden change of thought in the prayer! David’s mind, his vision of life and all that it really is, causes him to say, “But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able thus to offer willingly? For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you. For we are strangers before you and sojourners as all our fathers were. Our days on the earth are like a shadow, and there is no abiding.” [1 Chronicles 29:14-15]

David was totally honest and faced the true really if the human position in his thinking in total contrast to God’s. Next he becomes very personal about his relationship with God. “I know, my God, that you test the heart and have pleasure in uprightness. In the uprightness of my heart I have freely offered all these things, and now I have seen your people, who are present hear, offering freely and joyously to you … direct their hearts toward you.” [1 Chronicles 29:17-18]

David now died and Solomon became king. His Psalm [Psalm 17] is a prayer; it provides a fitting epitaph to the thoughts we have culled. Note the last verse. “As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.” David has set us a heart moving example to follow!

-------

- DC

13 October 2012

2 Chronicles 1; 2

Ezekiel 39

John 5

"LIVING WATER"

We may read God’s word every day, we may find it interesting and helpful as a guide to living a satisfying life, but is that enough? What did Jesus mean when he spoke about God’s word abiding, that is, living in a person? Who was Jesus talking to on this occasion?

Today’s reading of John 5 is about the increasing confrontation of Jesus with the Jews [John 5:18]. The challenge for them had begun with preaching of John Baptist and Jesus says, “He was a burning and a shining lamp and you were willing to rejoice for a while in his light.” [John 5:35] They listened and there was a time of interest, even of rejoicing, but then it suddenly became too hard to accept, the message, especially that of Jesus, challenged their vested interests.

What a great lesson is there for us here. The words of God which Jesus conveyed to human beings has to be accepted into the minds of those who hear. If it is not accepted it cannot live in them. When it lives in them, it becomes part of their thinking. It is the “living water” that Jesus spoke to the woman of Samaria about – as we read yesterday [John 4:10] noting how Jesus went on to explain, “The water that I will give him become a spring of water welling up to eternal life” [John 4:14]

Water is a cleansing agent and the “living water” that Jesus provides is his cleansing word. But for it to do its work it has to abide in us. The Jews who rejoiced for a while at hearing John the Baptist failed to let his words abide in them. The same, very sadly, has been true of every generation. Human nature is such that all too often we only hear what we want to hear. On another occasion Jesus said, “For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Take care then how you hear … ” [Luke 8:17,18]

There is no point in listening to Jesus and his message from God if we do not let his words live in us and change our thinking and our lives for Jesus also said, as we read today, “whoever hears my word and believes on him sent me has eternal life” [John 5:24], surely meaning that their names are now in “the book of life” as we read last week in Philippians 4:3.

-------

- DC

14 October 2012

2 Chronicles 3; 4

Ezekiel 40

John 6

"WHEN THEY HAD SEEN THIS SIGN"

Our readings in John 6 tell us of when thousands of people personally experienced a great miracle, it is the one miracle recorded in all four gospels; it is when Jesus miraculously fed thousands of people. It is interesting how people can see miracles, such as healings, even a dead man raised, things that happen to other people, but when they personally experience something completely miraculous, it makes a greater impression.

The text says that “when they had seen this sign” they said, “This is truly the prophet who is to come into the world” [John 6:14] But what happened next!! They then “were about to come and take him by force and make him King” [John 6:15]. What did Jesus do?

“He departed again to a mountain by himself alone” Why did he do this? He was, in effect, running away from them. Remember that one of the temptations in the wilderness was also an invitation to Him to take rulership over all the kingdoms of the world [Matthew 4:8-9]. He was to answer Pilate’s question, “So you are a king?” by saying, “For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world” [John 18:37]

What a temptation for him to respond and to be immediately proclaimed king. His Father had given him unlimited power [John 3:34], so he could immediately bring total justice, etc into the world. But this would be doing the right thing the wrong way! That is one of the more subtle and dangerous temptations we have in life.

Those who think Jesus is God himself cannot comprehend how Jesus was really tempted; but it says in Hebrews that our High Priest (Jesus) was “one who in every respect has been tempted as we are” [Hebrews 4:15] The Apostle Paul despite all his dedication in serving Christ admits, “I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members” [Romans 7:23] It is evident Jesus was tempted in the same way, but “the law of sin” never won. Instead he won and, as a result was “made perfect” [Hebrews 5:9]

Matthew’s account of his temptation in the wilderness was known to him most probably by being told of it by Jesus, and Jesus chose to describe his inner temptation in the form of a parable. So let us try to follow the example of Jesus and try to run away from temptation by doing something else, thinking of something else, or by calling a Bible passage to mind as Jesus did in the wilderness temptations, then we will be truly followers of “the prophet”.

-------

- DC

15 October 2012

2 Chronicles 5; 6

Ezekiel 41

John 7

"THIS IS THE CHRIST"

The Chief Priests and Pharisees sent officers to arrest Jesus, but they returned having failed. The drama of this event is in our reading today in John 7. They are rebuked, “Why did you not bring him?” [John 7:45] and respond “No one ever spoke like this man.” We are given no detail of the scene, but we imagine these officers standing within the crowd of people who were absorbed in what Jesus was saying for “he was teaching them as one who had authority, and not as their scribes.” [Matthew 7:29]

No fiction writer could have invented the character of Jesus, it is impossible for anyone with a reasoning mind to read the Gospel records and not realize that these accounts have an overwhelming ring of truth about them. So we picture the dilemma of these officers sent on their impossible task of arresting Jesus. What was the real reason his arrest was sought?

Pilate realized the real reason; in Matthew’s Gospel it says “he knew that it was out of envy they had delivered him up” [Matthew 27:18] – and in the end, in order to secure his arrest they had needed the help of a traitor and the cover of darkness at the midnight hour coming “with swords and clubs” [Matthew 26:55] in order to make their arrest.

Before the officers came on their unsuccessful mission the crowd had been debating who he was for “some of the people said, ‘This really is the prophet’, others said ‘this is the Christ’ But some said, ‘Is the Christ to come from Galilee?” [John 7:40,41] This debate continues to this day – and we recognise that it is the will of God that it should be so; his birth in Bethlehem had been concealed. Why was this?

Are we going to complain because that which is true is not immediately made plain? Are we going to use this as an excuse for not believing? The character of Jesus and the impact he had – and then left on the earth after his death and resurrection – is in sufficient evidence for all who genuinely seek to find and believe. Truly “no one ever spoke like this man” and we turn away from reading of what he said, and what his followers were inspired to write, to our eternal loss.

-------

- DC

16 October 2012

2 Chronicles 7

Ezekiel 42

John 8

"OF GOD"

Today’s long chapter [John 8] in John’s Gospel is most challenging. Jesus said, “Whoever is of God knows the words of God, the reason you do not hear them is that you are not of God” [John 8:47]. But of course they were hearing what he said, the point was that they could not make sense of his words, they could not see what he meant because their minds were so fixed in their way of thinking. Does not the same problem exist today?

There are some listening who are wanting to believe and understand what Jesus says and to them he says, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free” [John 8:32] This confuses them! Free from what? As descendents of Abraham, they say, we are not “enslaved to anyone, how is it that you say, ‘you will become free?’” [John 8:33]

Jesus then makes the point, “everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin … if the Son sets you free. You will be free indeed.” [John 8:36] Most of his listeners fail to get the point ­ and in the end the essential point is whether they are “of God” ­ or not. If they are “of God” they will listen and seek to understand the words of God. It maybe that some or many of his listeners would later hear Peter’s message on the day of Pentecost and who “were cut to the heart” [Acts 2:37] and were ready to receive the truth and be made free.

Their freedom was accomplished that day, they accepted “the truth” ­ and were baptised! They had heard Peter quote from the Psalms, “You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence” [Acts 2:28] There are the two paths ­ of life ­ or of death. All begin by walking on the path of death, but all have the opportunity to be set free from that path by seeing “the truth” that is revealed in God’s word, first through the men of God, the prophets of old ­ and later by Jesus and the apostles. And today? Well, all can read God’s word and search of what Jesus really meant and then decide whether to respond.

-------

- DC

17 October 2012

2 Chronicles 8

Ezekiel 43

John 9; 10

“THE EARTH SHONE WITH HIS GLORY”

We have some much loved hymns to “the glory of the Lord”. The best known is in Handel’s Messiah with words all taken from Scripture. What are we singing about? Have we a clear picture in our minds?

We are not particularly inclined to read all the details of the final 9 chapters in Ezekiel; these go into great detail about the measurements and features of the vision the prophet received of the future temple. As a result we might overlook the dramatic word pictures in today’s reading in Ezekiel 43. Here, after “the man” had led Ezekiel around every aspect of the Temple and described its function “the glory of the God of Israel” is seen coming from the east. It is like “the sound of many waters, and the earth shone with His Glory” [Ezekiel 43:1, 2]

Ezekiel says it is just like the awesome vision of God’s glory he had by the river Chebar that we read and puzzled over in Ezekiel 1. The glory enters the city by the EAST gate and Ezekiel is told “this is the place of my throne… where I will dwell … forever” [Ezekiel 43:7]

This will be when Israel, natural and spiritual, no longer defile God’s name by the way they live. Then Ezekiel is told to describe to them the vision he has had “that they may be ashamed of their iniquities” [Ezekiel 43:10] What affect do the visions of the future kingdom and its temple, as described in several parts of Scripture have on us? Do we reflect on the contrast of this vision with the chaotic Godless world of today. Is this vision real to us?

We must now make sure we notice the significant key word “IF” –

“if they are ashamed of all that they have done, make known to them the design of the temple … and all its laws …” [Ezekiel 43:11] The key principle is right here … their (and our) reaction to the grandeur of God’s glory. Are we ashamed of ungodliness? All around us are people who have no sense of shame – does their attitude rub off on us? Let’s make sure it does not.

God’s glory is seen in the absolute wonder of his creation of which we have learnt an incredible amount in recent year. Yet this glory is denied by almost all the people around us. We fear that God will deal with them as he dealt with the people of Ezekiel’s age with the tragedy that befell Jerusalem and Solomon’s magnificent temple. There is a lesson for us!

-------

- DC

18 October 2012

2 Chronicles 9

Ezekiel 44

John 11

"SET YOUR HEART ON ALL I SHALL SHOW YOU"

Ears prick up where there is thought of an inheritance. Solomon had very great wealth, as we read today (2 Chronicles 9). He obviously left a very great inheritance. But we will read tomorrow how it largely came to nothing because of the foolishness of his son because he did not seeking the wisdom of God, as his father had done, to wisely rule the nation in service before God.

In Ezekiel we are reading the vision of a great temple God gave the prophet. He gave him intricate details about this temple. It is most interesting to note how long it was that the prophet had to wait to receive this vision. Taken into captivity 11 years before Jerusalem was destroyed he had spent that period in warning the exiles that their hopes to return from exile were futile. Why? The spiritual immorality in Jerusalem was only getting worse. The leaders there were abusing the use of the temple Solomon had built. They had totally lost the vision of the true God.

In Ezekiel 33:21 we read how they receive the tragic news of the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple.

The next date we have is at the beginning of Ezekiel 40 when we learn that over 13 years more have now passed since the tragedy of Jerusalem’s destruction. Probably in this period he received the messages about the future recorded up to the end of Ezekiel 39. Now, “in visions of God [Ezekiel 40:2] he brought me to the land of Israel and set me down on a very high mountain” and is told “set your heart on all that I shall show you … declare all that you see to the house of Israel” [Ezekiel 40:4].

This vision of a future glorious temple was written down in great detail to inspire these exiles; a vision to give them purpose to overcome their sense of hopelessness. However, what struck us as we read today’s chapter [Ezekiel 44] was the blessing on the priests “the sons of Zadok” who had not gone astray, but “who kept the charge of my sanctuary” [Ezekiel 44:15]. Note the words carefully, “This shall be their inheritance: I am their inheritance … I am their possession” [Ezekiel 44:28] is what God says. That is the ultimate inheritance, not gold or silver, but to belong to God, to “be equal unto the angels”, [Luke 20:36] to be part of God “that God may be all and in all” [1 Corinthians 15:28] What inheritance are you interested in?

-------

- DC

19 October 2012

2 Chronicles 10; 11

Ezekiel 45

John 12

"WHAT DO YOU ADVISE"

In politics these days, decision makers are surrounded by groups of advisers. The 2 chapters this morning in 2 Chronicles 10; 11 reminded us of this. In contrast to his father Solomon, who had such immense wisdom, his son Rehoboam sought advisers – and he had two types, those who “had stood before Solomon” [2 Chronicles 10:6] and those of “the young” who had grown up with himself. In his lack of wisdom he “abandoned the counsel that the old men gave him’ [2 Chronicles 10:8].

He took a get tough attitude and his kingdom fell apart; the wisdom his father had imparted had made no impression on his heart. In 2 Chronicles 11 we read of the resultant division in the kingdom and how all but two of the tribes refused to support him. Now this created a problem for those for who felt truly dedicated in their hearts to serve God in Jerusalem, would they become involved in the substitute worship that was being set up among the 10 tribes?

We read, “And those who had set their hearts to seek the LORD God of Israel came after them from all the tribes of Israel to sacrifice to the LORD, the God of their fathers” in Jerusalem [2 Chronicles 11:16] This situation is an excellent example for true believers in the 21st Century: do we set our hearts on what the Bible really teaches us, or follow popular religious ideas?

In recent weeks we have read in Ezekiel how even those who worshipped in the Temple in Jerusalem had made a sham of their worship, their hearts had become idolatrous [Ezekiel 22:1-9 etcetera] and that is why Jerusalem was destroyed. What is the answer to the question Jesus asked? “When the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?” [Luke 18:8] Prophecy indicates that awesome judgements from God are facing our world – here and now! True faith is that which is both “believed” and “lived” - so “what do you advise” should be done today?

-------

- DC

20 October 2012

2 Chronicles 12; 13

Ezekiel 46

John 13; 14

"THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH"

Today’s and tomorrow’s chapters in John’s Gospel are two of the most meaningful in the whole of the Bible. We must not make the mistake, as sadly some do, of plucking a few of the words out of their context. An essential theme in these chapters is to see that Jesus is talking about relationships: firstly, his relationship with his father – and then with those who truly believe, beginning with believing in him, leading to belief and a relationship with the Father. This leads to a relationship with the Spirit which we notice is 3 times called “the Spirit of truth” [John 14:17; 15:26; 16:13).

When Jesus said, “Because I live, you also will live” it is evident that he was not talking of normal human life. His resurrection will reveal that, it will turn their hearts from utter despair to absolute wonderment! We notice the future tense, “you also will live”! In what way? He had already said, in telling them of his own future “in the new world when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on 12 thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.” [Matthew 19:28]

Can you see the link between this and his promise to them in John 14:1-3? Many misunderstand his words, “Let not your hearts be troubled … In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go and prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.”

We are reading in Ezekiel of a wondrous house or temple that will be built. We should remember how earlier in John we read of Jesus condemning the Jews in the temple that then existed, saying “do not make my father’s house a house of trade” [John 2:16] Through Ezekiel we have a picture of a far greater house the Father will cause to be erected - and the resurrected disciples will one day occupy rooms in that house as they judge the 12 tribes of Israel. Jesus is saying to all who listen to him through reading his word, “Because I live, you also will live” Are we listening?

We will have more thoughts tomorrow on these most meaningful chapters.

-------

- DC

21 October 2012

2 Chronicles 14; 15

Ezekiel 47

John 15; 16

"LOVE ONE ANOTHER"

There are so many points in chapters of John’s Gospel [John 15; 16] as we read it this morning that a whole book could be written (and have been written) seeking to fully draw out the lessons Jesus is teaching. One of these is, “This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you.” [John 15:12]

Talking about love is common in today’s world; for example, one can sing, and there are a lot of these and similar songs, “I first loved you when …” In contrast the love that the Bible speaks about is the special nature of a relationship that can exist between human beings. Jesus says he has demonstrated that by the love he has shown to his disciples.

So how did he demonstrate this? What did he do? He showed understanding and encouragement when their faith was frail; he washed their feet as an example of humility and of serving one another. At one stage his disciples were excited at the thought of becoming important and asked him, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom …” He called a child and “put him in the midst of them and said, ‘Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom … “ [Matthew 18:1-3]

At the end of today’s reading notice how Jesus responds to their declaration that “we believe that you came from God” by saying, “Do you now believe? Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home … I have said these things to you that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” [John 16:30-33]

Peace? The nature of “in me you may have peace” is far beyond normal human experience. True love brings peace. Now notice as you read the letters some of the disciples wrote how they use this word. “May grace and peace be multiplied to you” [1 Peter 1:2]. Later he writes, “long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up to salvation ­ if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.” [1 Peter 2:2,3] Tasted? More food for our thoughts.

Reading and meditating on John’s Gospel is a rich source of spiritual nutrients and helps true believers to love each other “as I have loved you.”

-------

- DC

22 October 2012

2 Chronicles 16; 17

Ezekiel 48

John 17; 18

"THE LORD IS WITH YOU WHILE YOU ARE WITH HIM"

Hannani the seer spoke the above words to King Asa [2 Chronicles 16:9] and they summarize a great Truth.

They do not mean that the LORD is constantly interfering in the affairs of human beings, but they do mean, as many other passages say [Job 34:21; 1 Peter 3:12; Hebrews 4:13 etc) that the Creator is aware of all that is happening. The Book of Revelation makes it clear that his myriad of angels and Jesus do this.[Revelation 5:6]

Our Lord, supported by the angels knows all that is happening, more than this, the inner motives of those who are serving him. Our reading in Chronicles illustrates this, Asa, although an excellent king in many ways, lost some of his faith and commitment to God in his later years. We read yesterday of his reforms and the successes God blessed him with and how the prophet Azariah told him, “Hear me Asa and all Judah and Benjamin: The LORD is with you while you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you.” [2 Chronicles 15:2]

So Asa could not say he had not been warned – and this message is one all of us should remember. This does not mean that everything will always be perfect in the lives of those who commit themselves to serve him. We see in the life of Jesus and later, the disciples, that there were testing times to prove and so increase their faithfulness.

In today’s reading, the words we quoted at the beginning, occur when God’s prophet comes to rebuke the king after he had “done foolishly” after reigning successfully for 36 years. He had relied on the help of a foreign king instead of God. The prophet Hanani reminds him of the help God had given him in earlier years [2 Chronicles 16:8]. This is a lesson for our older readers – always remember the blessings God gave you in times of trouble when you prayed and trusted in him in some particular situation.

-------

- DC

23 October 2012

2 Chronicles 18; 19

Daniel 1

John 19

"THEY ALL LEFT HIM AND FLED"

These words from Zechariah’s prophecy [Zechariah 12:10] are quoted in today’s reading in John 19. John is completing his intimate account of the final hours of Jesus and the dying commission of his Master to him to look after his mother as they stood together near the cross. John was “the disciple who he loved” [John 19:26]

As to the others “ they all left him and fled” [Mark 14:50] apart from Peter ­ and we know well the tragedy of his ultimate denial. Now note the two Old Testament prophecies that John quotes as having been fulfilled at this time. The first, that “not one of his bones will be broken” is an unexpected application of the Divine command to Moses that they were not to break the bones of the Passover lamb (Exodus 12:46, reaffirmed in Numbers 9:12). We conclude that this command had this ultimate application in mind ­ and after the sacrifice of Jesus the Passover feast had fulfilled its purpose.

Now the other prophecy John mentions is just as interesting! “They will look on him whom they have pierced” [Zechariah 12:10] because this verse includes the prediction that their act of looking “on him” occurs when Jesus returns. The complete prophecy is, “I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me, on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn …”

When this occurs, those who caused him to be pierced will need to be there. At the resurrection not all will receive the “spirit of grace” and their “pleas for mercy” will not be heeded for Jesus had warned them in his teaching, “When once the Master of the house has risen and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and to knock … you will begin to say, We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets. But he will say … Depart from me … there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God but you yourselves cast out” [Luke 13:25-28]. Food for much thought. What will be said to me, to you?

-------

- DC

24 October 2012

2 Chronicles 20

Daniel 2

John 20; 21

"TOUCH ME NOT"

We live in an age when scriptwriters, film and video makers employ very vivid imaginations to often create pictures of impossible scenes and events. We too can use our imaginations, but in a far more profitable way. Let’s take examples from our readings in John today. In John 20, Mary Magdalene is weeping outside the tomb because it is empty. Through the veil of her tears she turns around to see a man standing there and assumes he is a gardener and thinks that he just might have removed the body from the tomb. “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him and I will take him away” [John 20:15]

What a request! What a distraught state of mind she had; a state of the deepest grief! She had come to touch the body of her beloved Lord for the last time and the body had been stolen. What anguish! Can you imagine it?

Jesus utters one word: her name. “Mary” Now imagine the compassion in his voice, a compassion she had heard before, many times. Does she instantly know it is him? “Rabboni” (teacher) she is the one word she exclaims – a huge question mark in her voice as her mind does a somersault trying to believe the “impossible”?

The A V version is not a good translation of the words of Jesus, “Touch me not” Modern versions have words like “do not cling to me … go and tell my brothers.” We can reasonably imagine that Mary almost threw herself at Jesus, scarcely daring to believe this person was real. What emotion, just imagine …

Those who regularly read their Bibles get frustrated when they watch many of the movies, DVDs about some Bible story because the producers over dramatize and exaggerate and add things into it to make it more dramatic. But all who are regular and careful Bible readers can use their imagination properly, intelligently. Put your imagination to work on the climax to the fishing scene in John 21:1 onwards. The dawn was just breaking, not easy to see … can you imagine yourself as one of those fishing?

-------

- DC

25 October 2012

2 Chronicles 21; 22

Daniel 3

Acts 1

"DECLARE TO YOU THINGS TO COME"

Today we started reading the book of Acts. So many things in it are relevant to our efforts to serve Christ today, but it is important that we read it carefully; regrettably some do not. It begins with a summary of the final days of Jesus before he ascended to heaven “after he had given commands through the Holy Spirit to the Apostles whom he had chosen” [Acts 1:2]; it was a period of 40 days. [Acts 1:3]

We notice how “he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem but to wait for the promise of the father … you will be baptised by the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” [Acts 1:5] To whom was he making this promise? These 12 Apostles were now only 11 because of the tragedy of Judas Iscariot, so Peter says [Acts 1:21-23] that they must find a replacement “to take the place of this ministry and apostleship” [Acts 1:26]. To do this they end up casting lots – and the last verse reads “and the lot fell to Matthias and he was numbered with the eleven Apostles.”

It becomes evident that only the 12 received the promised Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. When the day came it was just the 12 who were standing up before the people [Acts 2:14] which some sceptics were accusing of being drunk [Acts 2:15]. We need to recall last week’s reading in John’s Gospel where Jesus was promising them the “spirit of truth”, a “helper” would be “sent to you from the father” [John 15:26; 16:13].

This Spirit, says Jesus, “will guide you into all the Truth.” It “will declare to you things to come” and will “bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” [John 14:26]. It is obvious that this Divine source of help is specially for the twelve, they are to be “baptised” into it by having the power come upon them. As we read on in Acts 2 we will learn that a “gift” was promised to the converts, but required the presence of one or more of the disciples for it to be given [Acts 8:14-17]. In today’s chapter we see that the disciples were hoping the kingdom would be established right then [Acts 1:6]; but no, they were to be witnesses, beginning “in Jerusalem … to the end of the earth.” [Acts 1:8] Only now is this commission being completed.

-------

- DC