TFTD - September 2012

Resource Manager

26 September 2012

"'Oh my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me.' We must ever look upon this prostrate form of our beloved Lord from the distance which separated him from his three disciples. We could not approach nearer if we would. Yet he desired his loved ones to witness the price he paid, that they might learn as much as the human heart can stand and the human mind conceive; that learning this they might love more fervently, and loving, be his disciples indeed, bound to him by the fellowship of his sufferings."

- Melva Purkis

A Life of Jesus

27 September 2012

"Think of the beautiful prayer of Christ. "For their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also who shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that you have sent me. And the glory which you gave me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and you in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that you have sent me" (John 17:19-23). There is a perfect unity between Christ and his Father, so that Jesus could say: "I and my Father are one": and again, "I do always those things that please my Father". The object of the Truth, by its sanctifying influence upon us, is to bring us into perfect unison with Jesus Christ and his Father and our Father: "That they (the disciples) may be one in us". This is only possible by an earnest desire and endeavour on our part to bring ourselves into conformity with the divine mind and purpose as expressed in Jesus Christ."

- R. Tarrant

Whom Jesus Loved

28 September 2012

"There were some among the followers of Jesus who could not accept his deep sayings. Their faith failed, and they deserted him. Jesus turned to his disciples and asked, "Will you also go away?" (John 6:67). He wished to know from their own lips if the worldly example influenced them. But Peter’s answer assured him: "Lord, to whom shall we go? you have the words of eternal life" (John 6:67). How that open confession of faith must have warmed the heart of his Master! Peter had found the key to unlock all our difficulties. Jesus whom we serve has the words of eternal life. When Divine Wisdom made Jesus He gave him the words of eternal truth: "In him was life; and the life was the light of men" (John 1:4). Jesus is the light that shines into our natural darkness to make understanding pleasant to our souls."

- H. Lander

Christ, the Light

29 September 2012

"There are moments in the lives of all of us when though we do not lack the assurance of God’s purpose, we have very grave doubts concerning our own prospect of sharing the blessings of its fulfilment. Paul himself was not altogether immune from such doubts. It is better to be too conscious of our unworthiness than to be over confident of our righteousness; but we must not allow morbid fears of failure to impede our progress. Jesus has assured us that it is his Father’s good pleasure to give us the Kingdom; Paul entreats us to be confident that He who has begun a good work in us will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ."

- Melva Purkis

Our Spiritual Heritage (1955)

30 September 2012

"Consider the message of the word of God. It is unique and wonderful in a score of ways. It removes the scales from our eyes and we see the treasures of the royal house; it cures our deafness and we hear the voice of the One who is eternal; it puts a new song in our mouth, even praise to our God; it heals our lameness and we learn to walk humbly with our God. It is the signpost—the only signpost in all the world—pointing the way to eternal happiness. Therein are the majesty, the wisdom, the love and forgiveness of God revealed."

- Harry Tennant

A Word in Your Ear (1963)