TFTBR - September 2012

Resource Manager

01 September 2012

2 Kings 6

Lamentations 2

1 Corinthians 15

"HIS GRACE TOWARD ME WAS NOT IN VAIN"

Paul expresses himself from his heart in the above words. After his astonishing encounter with Christ on the Damascus Rd he was overwhelmed by a sense of utter appreciation – followed by total commitment in the service of Christ for the rest of his life.

Our oft quoted chapter in Corinthians today [1 Corinthians 15] – must be read slowly, meaningfully, letting the emotion of Paul’s message sink deeply into our minds. If there is no hope of resurrection then it cannot be true that Christ was raised “and if Christ be not raised your faith is futile.” [1 Corinthians 15:17]

All around them in Corinth, in this vibrant worldly Greek city, people were sure they had ‘immortal souls’ and that the body was of no value, many found it impossible to accept the teaching of the resurrection of the body [1 Corinthians 15:12], - the same had happened in Athens [Acts 17:32]. Today, all around us most humanly ‘inspired’ intellectuals scoff at belief in a Creator! This human message is now being expressed in an ever greater spirit of conviction! Is it affecting us? Is it undermining our convictions?

We need to apply our minds, both to the clear facts of the Bible and also the lessons of secular history, seeing the great upheaval in belief and conviction 1950 years ago as testified in secular sources as well as in the Bible – and declare with Paul with all our hearts, “But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For as by man came death, by man has come also the resurrection of the dead.” [1 Corinthians 15:20-21] and true faithful believers like Paul will one day “bear the image of the man from heaven.” [1 Corinthians 15:49].

Indeed, in the final days “we shall not all sleep, but we shall be changed … at the last trumpet. For the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.” [1 Corinthians 15:51-52] Because Paul is totally concentrating on the reality of the resurrection he does not mention there is also a judgement, but he does elsewhere. (e.g. Romans 2:16; 14:10) Our chapter concludes with a challenging message beginning with the significant word THEREFORE!

“Therefore, my beloved brothers (and sisters), be steadfast, immovable, always abounding the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labour is not in vain.” Paul proved that “his grace toward me was not in vain.” [1 Corinthians 15:10] Let us do the same.

-------

- DC

02 September 2012

2 Kings 7

Lamentations 3

1 Corinthians 16

"MY SOUL IS BEREFT OF PEACE ... BUT THIS I CALL TO MIND"

Such are the means of modern communication rarely a day goes past without us hearing some news of events that are causing anxiety – even distress – among believers in some part of the world. We reflected on this as we continued reading Jeremiah’s brief book of Lamentations. It was obviously written after the tragedy of Jerusalem’s fall and the destruction of the Temple.

But today’s chapter, Lamentations 3 – is most remarkable! It contains some great lessons for us – lessons of the perceptions that can come into our minds from God if we truly seek him as Jeremiah did. First, he says, God “has enveloped me with bitterness and tribulation” [Lamentations 3:5] Maybe we can use that word ‘envelope’ in a modern sense and say, can we put this bitterness into an envelope and put it out with the rubbish or into the fire! But how? Jeremiah also says, “my soul is bereft of peace; I have forgotten what happiness is.” [Lamentations 3:17]

But then, wonderfully, from Lamentations 3:21, his mind climbs out of his depression – and what a wonderful example this is for all who, at some stage in their lives, feel overwhelmed by events. He writes, “But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: the steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ‘The LORD is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in him.’” [Lamentations 3:25-26]

If you are a young person, note Lamentations 3:27, “It is good for a man (or woman) that they bear the yoke in their youth.” A yoke? That is, be in harness in the service of the Lord and learn that God watches over their lives and knows and can and will direct the path of those who truly seek him. David says in Psalm 142, “When my spirit faints within me, you know my way.” [Psalm 142:3]

Finally, although there are other verses in this remarkable chapter we would have liked to quote, note Lamentations 3:40-41. “Let us test and examine our ways, and return to the LORD! Let us lift up our hearts and hands to God …” May we follow Jeremiah’s example, for few have experienced traumas like he did. But, after being totally “bereft of peace” he still knew that “the steadfast love of the LORD never ceases.”

-------

- DC

03 September 2012

2 Kings 8

Lamentations 4

2 Corinthians 1; 2

“BUT THAT WAS TO MAKE US RELY ... ON GOD”

Seventy three years ago today we can remember (at least my wife can) some neighbours, talking fearfully together and being very jittery. Children can sense the attitudes of older people and acute anxieties ‘transmit’ into their minds so that they need the reassurance of faithful parents. When such is absent, they are perplexed.

In this ungodly 21st Century genuine reassurance that comes from real faith will become more and more necessary both for ourselves, and for us to set an example and to try to reassure children and any whose faith is faltering. Such reassurance must be seen to have a sound foundation.

What happened 73 years ago? Well, we lived quite close to London, and War was declared that day. The memories of the First World War, which had finished only 21 years before when some 5 million people died was still a vivid memory for all those over 30. A sense of great anxiety was the dominating mood and their fears proved only to true; 6 years of horror followed, far more powerful weapons were used, heavy bombs from much more powerful planes and it is said that something like 20 million died, including 6 million Jews.

Now our reading today in 2 Corinthians 1; 2 illustrates how Paul puts into a positive light the great affliction he and others had recently experienced. He looked at such afflictions from God’s perspective. He writes: “For we do not want you to be ignorant brothers of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God” [2 Corinthians 1:8-9].

Events during the 1940s certainly caused those who really believed in the God of the Bible to grow in real faith. Faith is not a ‘static’ frame of mind, it must either grow or fade away. The ‘mind’ that possesses faith is a mind that needs to be exercised, like we exercise our muscles. The time is surely going to come, and maybe quite soon, when, if we have not learnt to rely on God, the ‘oil’ in our lamps of faith will be found lacking.

Finally, note another point Paul makes, he asks the question, “Do I make my plans according to the flesh?” [2 Corinthians 1:17] This question makes us think of today’s political dramas and never ending conflict of opinions. Paul sees human planning as being “ready to say, ‘Yes, yes’ and ‘No, no’ ” at the same time? [2 Corinthians 1:17-19] Only those who know the true gospel, and practice genuine reliance on God, know how to think and plan positively for the future, especially their eternal future. Paul concludes by stating [2 Corinthians 1:24], “we work with you for your joy, for you stand firm in your faith.” May that also be true of us.

-------

- DC

04 September 2012

2 Kings 9

Lamentations 5

2 Corinthians 3; 4

"THAT IS NOT TRUE"

What is true? We live in a world abundant with half-truths and misleading information; those in authority are expert at ‘bending’ the truth. What of the truth about God? We suspect that underlying all the ‘denial’ by academics, &c, people still have in their hearts an underlying concept of God. Is not this concept ‘fed’ when they hear sung such things as Handel’s Messiah and watched the Diamond Anniversary of the Queen with its references to God; it is also, more often than not, ‘fed’ to some degree when they attend a funeral.

Our thoughts on this were triggered today by reading 2 Kings 9. It was an evil time with the godless sons of Jezebel reigning on the thrones of both Judah and Israel. The first verse tells us that “Elisha the prophet called one of the sons of the prophets … take this flask of oil … go to Ramoth-gilead … look there for Jehu.” [2 Kings 9:1-2] We learn in v. 5 that he is a commander in the army. This son of the prophets is told to “lead him to an inner chamber. Then take the flask of oil and pour it on his head and say , ‘Thus says the LORD … I anoint you king over Israel.’ Then open the door and flee ..” [2 Kings 9:3]

This task is carried out and “when Jehu came out (of the chamber) to the servants of his master, they said to him, ‘Is all well? Why did this mad fellow come to you?’ And he said to them. ‘You know the fellow and his talk.’ And they said, ‘That is not true: tell us now.” [2 Kings 9:11-12] So despite calling Elisha’s messenger a “mad fellow” they did not really mean it. When Jehu admits he has been anointed king “they blew the trumpet and proclaimed, Jehu is king.” [2 Kings 9:13].

Jehu then carries out God’s will in destroying both the bad kings, the sons of Jezebel - and then Jezebel herself. He gets King Joram’s body thrown “on the “plot of ground” that had been Naboth’s “in accordance with the word of the LORD” [2 Kings 9:26] which he remembers the prophet uttering.

So despite the spiritual darkness then – and now – many in our world will call God’s word’s to mind as the drama of God’s actions start to happen. We read in 2 Corinthians today, “the god of this world has blinded the minds of unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ …” [2 Corinthians 4:4] “For God who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness, has shone into our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God …” [2 Corinthians 4:6] Is that light shining in your heart? Do you say to the “darkness” – “That is not true!” Are you trying to spread the light?

-------

- DC

05 September 2012

2 Kings 10

Ezekiel 1

2 Corinthians 5; 6; 7

"BRINGING HOLINESS TO COMPLETION ..."

Today we read 3 short but remarkable chapters in 2 Corinthians [2 Corinthians 5; 6; 7]. Paul has learnt through the coming of Titus the blessing that spiritual life and attitudes are improving in Corinth. He writes, “God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort with which he has comforted you, as he told us of your longing, your mourning, your zeal for me, so that I rejoice still more. For even if I made you grieve with my letter, I do not regret it … I rejoice … because you were grieved into repenting.” [2 Corinthians 7:6-8]

The path to true joy is sometimes difficult, but that is a fact of life that sadly some do not want to learn, but it is the experience in greater or lesser degree of every believer who sets out to walk in the footsteps of Christ. It is said that we learn from our mistakes – but that is only true when we see clearly where we have strayed from the narrow way. Sometimes God brings about drastic correction as we read today in 2 Kings 10 where Jehu, on becoming king completed the destruction of all of Ahab’s large offspring and all those who worshipped Baal – but even this failed to bring the kingdom of Israel to serve God correctly. Cutting out what is bad is only the halfway stage. Repentance is a tragedy when it does not lead to a new start.

Note the words at the start of 2 Corinthians 7:1 - “since we have these promises…”. What promises? We must grasp the overwhelming extent of these promises spelt out in the last 3 verses of 2 Corinthians 6; “…we are the temple of the living God, as God has said. ‘I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them … then I will welcome you and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.” [2 Corinthians 6:16-18]. These verses are quoted from Leviticus 26:12 and Isaiah 52:11 – and demonstrate that all 66 books of the Bible are one unit.

Immediately after these verses comes the statement, “Since we have these promises, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.” [2 Corinthians 7:1] What a totally wonderful perception – leading to that challenge to “bring holiness to completion.” Let us live in awe of what God must be and realise the truth of 2 Corinthians 5:17 that “if anyone is in Christ, he (or she) is a new creation.” The completion of that “new creation” is our lifetimes’ work; may we all realize this and complete the race, for we are all in the race of life. Let us never see that ‘work’ as beyond us. Paul knew God “is able to do far more abundantly more than we ask or think, according to the power at work within us.” [Ephesians 3:20]

-------

- DC

06 September 2012

2 Kings 11; 12

Ezekiel 2

2 Corinthians 8; 9

"IMPUDENT AND STUBBORN"

Yesterday we started reading the book of Ezekiel. He is a priest [Ezekiel 1:3] and is with those taken into captivity and placed by the Babylonians “by the Chebar canal” [Ezekiel 1:3]. Jerusalem and the Temple have not yet been destroyed, indeed we calculate from the dates given, that its’ destruction is still about 18 years in the future. Those in captivity with Ezekiel are setting their hopes on being able to return to their homeland.

Ezekiel’s initial commission after seeing the Divine visions recorded in Ezekiel 1 is, “Son of man, I send you to the people of Israel, to nations of rebels, who have rebelled against me. They and their fathers have transgressed against me to this very day. The descendants also are impudent and stubborn: I send you to them, and you shall say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD.’ And whether they hear or refuse to hear (for they are a rebellious house) they will know that a prophet has been among them.” [Ezekiel 2:3-5]

It is evident that these captives had no sense of being in awe of the LORD. God’s message through Ezekiel is the very opposite of what, from a human point of view, is a good message – and the Bible’s message for the world today – as to its’ immediate future – is the very opposite of a good message. It seems fitting to describe the vast majority today as being “ignorant and stupid” or as ‘The Message’ Bible puts it, “hardened in their sin” - but we have a responsibility to give a message so that “they will know” what God’s word plainly predicts.

Then the LORD addresses Ezekiel personally, “Be not afraid of their words, be not dismayed … for they are rebellious … but you … Be not rebellious …. open your mouth …” [Ezekiel 2:6,8] and he is given a scroll “… and there were on it …“words of lamentation and mourning and woe.” [Ezekiel 2:10] The burden of Ezekiel’s message, in the first half of his book is very similar to that of Jeremiah, both were giving God’s message at the same time, but in different locations.

We must be the very opposite of being rebellious. May it be true of us as was now happening in Corinth; Paul is rejoicing at their renewed spirit. We read today his joy for “… you excel in everything – in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness …” [2 Corinthians 8:7] The believers there were showing their great love for their Lord and for Paul by the ready financial support for those in trouble. It was not a matter of tithing as some practice today – without any Scriptural warrant, for tithing was practised only under the law of Moses; but the believers, writes Paul, “…gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own free will, begging us earnestly for the favour of taking part in the relief of the saints” [2 Corinthians 8:3-4] May we be so motivated to give from what we are blessed to possess – and that includes our time – in serving the Lord.

-------

- DC

07 September 2012

2 Kings 13

Ezekiel 3

2 Corinthians 10; 11

"THEY MEASURE THEMSELVES BY ONE ANOTHER"

It is human nature to constantly draw comparisons between “us” and “them.” This is particularly evident in the “game” of politics. Paul, as he starts to draw his 2nd letter to the Corinthians to a conclusion, expresses concern about certain influences upon them which were not spiritually healthy. He writes, “the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have power to destroy strongholds” [2 Corinthians 10:4]

The weapons Paul is interested in, because they are vital as affecting our ‘eternity’, are not physical weapons; they are those which destroy the “strongholds” of wrong thinking. Paul next states, “We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ. …” [2 Corinthians 10:5] It is the words of Christ and the words his apostles were inspired to say and write which “destroy arguments” founded on human reasoning, which are even more dangerous when they are expressed as a “lofty opinion” seeming to be an extension of God’s revealed word.

Paul writes of “our authority, which the Lord gave for building you up …” [2 Corinthians 10:8], but he is concerned about “those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another they are without understanding.” [2 Corinthians 10:12] Real understanding and genuine faith will only increase when it is built up on a true “knowledge of God” [2 Corinthians 10:5] as found in his revealed word.

Paul says, “I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough” [2 Corinthians 11:3-4].

It is those who “measure themselves by one another” instead of the word of God that distort the nature and message of Jesus Christ. The end result, as history shows, has been to portray Jesus as equal to God himself and to create a “different gospel” rather that the gospel that was first preached to Abraham [Galatians 3:7-9]. May we, through our constant reading and reflection on the words of Scripture learn to fully measure ourselves, our beliefs and hopes, by the actual words that God has inspired and that have been preserved to our day.

-------

- DC

08 September 2012

2 Kings 14

Ezekiel 4

2 Corinthians 12; 13

“TO KEEP ME FROM BEING TOO ELATED”

We made reference yesterday to those who “measure themselves” against each other – and how this is seen in attitudes in such as politicians. We now read in Corinthians of Paul’s comments of the things he could boast about - if he wanted to. The final chapters illustrate that boastful attitudes were still a problem at Corinth, they also illustrate that Paul had come to realize he should be thankful, that “a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being too elated” [2 Corinthians 12:7]; it reminds us of how Jesus was “led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted” (tested – Matthew 4:1)

We cannot be sure what this “thorn” was, some disability; many think it could have been poor eyesight. Turn on 2 or 3 pages and look at the last chapter of Galatians, Paul writes “See with what large letters I am writing to you with my own hand” [Galatians 6:11] which indicates difficulty in writing which was most likely caused by poor eyesight.

This handicap, whatever it was, stopped him from being too elated and so he says, “for the sake of Christ then I am content with weaknesses …” But why is it called “a messenger of Satan”? It is a figure of speech to describe adversity. Satan is a Hebrew word, and several times in the Old Testament it is translated as “adversary” and a particular person is named. Adversity brings out the best in genuine disciples!

In completing this letter he expresses the fear that when he comes “I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality and sensuality that they have practiced” [2 Corinthians 12:21] There is the blunt request [2 Corinthians 13:5] “Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves that Jesus Christ is IN you” [2 Corinthians 13:9]. Let us test ourselves.

The atmosphere at Corinth seems to have been very much like that in Australia today, for all of us are struggling to maintain our faith today in our increasingly Godless environments. We need God’s word IN our thoughts every day as a defence against the fleshly attitudes all around us. Paul says, don’t you realize “Christ is IN you” Those who are baptised must realize this – every day. We prove that Christ is in us by becoming more and more like our Lord and Master in the way we think and act and most particularly in our prayer life. Paul concludes by writing, “Finally brothers (& sisters), rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another, agree with one another, live in peace” [2 Corinthians 13:11] Let us also do that, there is no room in our lives to be elated.

-------

- DC

09 September 2012

2 Kings 15

Ezekiel 5

Luke 1

“AT THE NINTH HOUR”

Today we begin reading the Gospel of Luke. A chain reaction of thoughts was triggered as we read of the dramatic appearance of an angel to Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist. All the people were “praying without at the hour of incense.” Presumably this was the ninth hour as we recall that Peter and John went up into the temple “at the ninth hour, the hour of prayer” [Acts 3:1; 10:3]. Wonderful things can happen when people pray as we experienced recently.

When Jesus was dying on the cross there was darkness over all the land until the 9th hour [Matthew 27:45]. We realize that the 9th hour is 3 pm on our clock.. We live in a world in which there has been spiritual darkness as to the meaning of life and the reality of God. At some point that darkness will be dramatically lifted, but then, those who have not seen and acted on the light in God’s word will find it is too late – the door will be shut as the parable says.

Zachariah was blessed, but he was struck dumb and mute – he was told his prayer had been heard, but he did not really believe; not until 9 months had passed and the babe was born did he receive the ability to speak again. Then God used him as a witness that made all the people marvel. [Luke 1:65] and the event was talked about everywhere.

So this chapter is about the drama of God’s intervention in the normal course of events – and the affect it had - a great part of this is the faith of Mary his mother and the wonderful words she uttered. Today, it is now well past the eleventh hour in the world’s time clock, and the appeal to us is the same as when Jesus talks of “the eleventh hour” – let us respond to what he said [Matthew 20:6], for the Master is looking for those who are ready to put their hands to the plough in “the eleventh hour.”

In contrast there was no one willing to put their hands to work for God at the time Ezekiel was writing [Ezekiel 5], as we read today. The way people lived then was the same as so many are living now, totally focussed on themselves. The language Ezekiel uses exposes the total spiritual barrenness of the people with their misuse of God’s magnificent Temple, today nearly all misuse or ignore his Word. God’s message is, “because you have defiled my sanctuary with all your detestable things, therefore I will cut you down. My eye will not spare, I will have no pity.” [Ezekiel 5:11]. A divine prophet today would have a very similar message. We must read God’s word more and more – and what meaningful lessons are in Luke’s Gospel for the rest of this month.

-------

- DC

10 September 2012

2 Kings 16

Ezekiel 6

Luke 2

“ON EARTH PEACE AMONG THOSE WITH WHOM HE IS PLEASED”

Modern versions of today’s reading [Luke 2] which give us the words the angels sang to the shepherds to announce the birth of Jesus, render the conclusion of the song as above. The old translation from the Greek is not a good one, but it is as the words in the familiar Christmas Carol “Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace, goodwill toward men.”

There is a significant difference! The old version fits in with the belief that God is totally a God of love, that his attitude of goodwill applies equally to all human beings. So we need to ask, with whom is God pleased today, here and now?

Well, we know with whom He became pleased after the death of Jesus: those who believed in His Son and accepted him as their Saviour and then lived trying to follow his example. Although there is more than 3 months to go, all too soon we will have Christmas themes surrounding us again, especially in the shops. Few will wonder if God is pleased with them! What will make God pleased with us? Food for our thoughts!

Food for further thought is the different role the angels are destined play at his second coming? In a week’s time we will read [Luke 9:26] "For whoever is ashamed of me and my words, of him will the Son of man will be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.”

Are we ashamed to admit we believe this divine message that has been so miraculously preserved and translated for us to read? Are we ready to give an answer to those who talk as if we are just the highest form of mindless evolution?

We ponder the role and work of the angels that we read about in the book of Revelation! Is this literal? “Then the sixth angel blew his trumpet … so the four angels, who had been prepared for the hour, the day, the month, and the year, were released to kill a third of mankind.” [Revelation 9:15] “Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven saying, ‘The kingdoms of the world have become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ and he shall reign for ever and ever.” [Revelation 11:15] Let us build up our faith and face the future with God given confidence.

-------

- DC

11 September 2012

2 Kings 17

Ezekiel 7

Luke 3

"WHAT THEN SHALL WE DO?"

Our 3 readings today have, in a sense, a common theme. Luke 3 gives us the message that John the Baptist preached in the wilderness; but first we noted his opening 3 verses. Luke was a real historian and he gives details of 5 different Gentiles who were in power when John began his preaching. Sceptics in the 19th Century, emboldened by the new evolution theory, searched into secular history thinking they would surely find some inaccuracies in Luke, but to their probable dismay, they found his detail fully confirmed. It was the same with his book of Acts and this strengthened the faith of wavering believers in those days.

John “went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance” [Luke 3:3] he was fulfilling what Isaiah had been caused to prophecy, “The voice of one crying in the wilderness, ‘Prepare the way of the Lord’” [Luke 3:4] There had been no prophet since Malachi some 400 years earlier. When we compare Matthew 3:5 onwards we see that his anger in saying, in Luke’s record, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?” [Luke 3:7] is directed against the religious leaders.

We saw comparisons with Ezekiel’s message [Ezekiel 7] sent to the people remaining in Jerusalem. Those who had already gone into captivity like himself and Daniel were actually in a better situation. Our reading in 2 Kings 17 is about the collapse of the northern kingdom, this last kingdom was actually so evil that it’s last king had even “burned his son as an offering” [2 Kings 16:3] to the false gods he thought might help him! We note that the remaining godly people in the north had in previous reigns moved south to worship the LORD in Jerusalem. [2 Chronicles 15:9].

After John the Baptist warned off the religious leaders “the crowds asked him, ‘What then shall we do?’” and his answer is not just to be baptised, but to change their lives and where they have two of anything “to share with him who has none, and whomever has food is to do likewise.” [Luke 3:10] This is a fundamental message of the New Testament. Baptism is an essential step in following Christ, but it must be followed by sharing our faith and doing good works. It is pleasing to live in a country where the Govt also looks after the poor as best it can, including the poor in other countries. With what great efficiency will this happen when Jesus returns – but until then we know the things we should do – against a background of great waste of money and time by so many of the people around us in their pursuit of leisure and pleasure.

-------

- DC

12 September 2012

2 Kings 18

Ezekiel 8

Luke 4

"WE TRUST IN THE LORD OUR GOD"

What is it to trust – and to show your trust by your actions? That is, specifically, in the LORD as your God? We read in 2 Kings 18 today of an outstanding King who came to the throne in Jerusalem, “and he did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, according to all that David his father had done.” [2 Kings 18:3] He is seen to be a genuine descendant of David, a really worthy king, his immediate father, Ahaz, does not get a mention.

The new king’s commitment to the LORD is tested to the uttermost. Isaiah had a lot to do with him, as we will read tomorrow. The Assyrian commander comes and shouts to the defenders on the walls of Jerusalem, “Say to Hezekiah, ‘Thus says the great king, the king of Assyria: on what do you rest this trust of yours? Do you think that mere words are strategy and power for war? [2 Kings 18:19-20]

We meditate on this point of view – do we see the Bible as “mere words”? Such is human nature, that it now appears this way to many church people as they wilt under the constant barrage of atheistic and humanist propaganda. Remember though what we read last week in 2 Corinthians 10, “the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion …” [2 Corinthians 10:4-5]

Back in Kings, 2 Kings 18:22 is to be noted, “if you say to me (says the Assyrian), ‘We trust in the LORD our God’ is it not he whose high places and altars Hezekiah has removed …” This indicates that deserters to the Assyrian side had told him this. Hezekiah had decreed “You shall worship before this altar in Jerusalem.” Is this not parallel with those who desert the real truth of the Bible to believe and worship in the way that appeals to them?

The last verse in the chapter tells us how the Jewish officials “came to Hezekiah with their clothes torn and told him all the words of the Rabshekah” (the Assyrian commander). 2 Kings 19 tells us how the kings servants “come to Isaiah. Isaiah said to them, ‘Say to your master, ‘Thus says the LORD: Do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard … I will put a spirit in him so that he shall hear a rumour and return to his own land …”

Several chapters in Isaiah are more clearly understood against the background of events during Hezekiah’s reign. Today we do not have a living Isaiah to go to - but this word of God is “living” – Hebrews 4:12 tells us, “For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two edged sword, piercing the division of soul and spirit … discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Now turn up and note Hebrews 4:13.

-------

- DC

13 September 2012

2 Kings 19

Ezekiel 9

Luke 5

"THAT ALL THE KINGDOMS OF THE WORLD MAY KNOW ..."

Our thoughts today flowed on from yesterday’s. We read King Hezekiah’s prayer and then Isaiah’s prophecy as recorded in 2 Kings 19. History continually repeats itself, human powers constantly rise, wane and fall; we have seen that with such as the British Empire.

The ‘picture’ in this chapter is how the boasting of the Assyrians would evaporate like the morning mist. Hezekiah’s prayer [2 Kings 19:14-19] shows his faith and commitment to the one true God. He is an example to us, to all who are in a dark situation. In some parts of the world today, such as Pakistan and Iran, the situation is really dark for Bible believers. Hezekiah prays most earnestly, saying “LORD the God of Israel … you have made heaven and earth. Incline your ear O LORD and hear …Save us … from his hand (the Assyrian King) that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you, O LORD, are God alone.” [2 Kings 19:15,16,19] Isaiah sends a message to Hezekiah, “Thus says the LORD … your prayer to me … I have heard … Therefore thus says the LORD concerning the king of Assyria. He shall not come into this city …” [2 Kings 19:20,32]

As we said, history repeats itself, but God’s word makes it clear that it is all leading up to a drama in these last days. Isaiah’s message includes a reference to this, “… The surviving remnant of the house of Judah shall again take root downward, and bear fruit upward. For out of Jerusalem shall go a remnant, and out of Mount Zion a band of survivors. The zeal of the LORD will do this.” [2 Kings 19:30-31] A remnant has survived through many many centuries and have taken root again and we look for the time when they will bear fruit for God and at that time “all the kingdoms of the world” will come to realize there really is one true Creator God.

Our Ezekiel reading [Ezekiel 9] is about the time when God’s anger overflowed against Jerusalem, there was no good king like Hezekiah on the throne; but as we read on in Ezekiel we will come to remarkable prophecies which we can see are in the process of being fulfilled in our days – those who really read God’s word build their faith on these together with the prophecies of Jesus and the apostles. “For the word of God is living and active … discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” [Hebrews 4:12] What about your heart?

-------

- DC

14 September 2012

2 Kings 20

Ezekiel 10

Luke 6

"YOUR REWARD IS GREAT IN HEAVEN"

Our reading of Luke 6 today is a briefer form of what we call ‘the sermon on the mount’ that’s in Matthew 5; 6; 7. Luke, who travelled with Paul to Rome and was in Rome with him [2 Timothy 4:11], wrote his gospel primarily for Gentiles. We saw in Luke 1:3 that it was addressed to Theophilus.

We wondered if some might be puzzled by Luke 6:23 in today’s chapter: we have heard it quoted to show we go to heaven when we die. The verse reads, “Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy; for behold, your reward is great in heaven …” Truly there will be the greatest joy “in that day” – that day being when “the kingdom of God” is established, “for yours is the kingdom of God.” [Luke 6:20] This is, to quote the well-known Sermon on the Mount [Matthew 5], when the meek are blessed “for they shall inherit the earth.” [Matthew 5:5] – to get the fullest sense we need to compare the 2 chapters realizing, when it says “kingdom of heaven”, it means a heavenly kingdom to come on earth.

However, what do the words in Luke mean - why “in that day” will they “leap for joy” if heaven is the place of their reward the moment they die – what happens “in that day”? In John 3:13 we read “no one has ascended to heaven” except Jesus. Peter preached that even David, the great Psalmist, and Jesus was in a sense “his son” (see Matthew 22:42,&c), “died and was buried … for David did not ascend into the heavens” [Acts 2:29,34]

The particular verse that clears up this mystery is the message of Jesus in Revelation 22:12, “Behold I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to reward everyone for what he (or she) has done. Jesus is bringing the reward to true believers when he returns to raise the dead and set up his kingdom.

He will reward those who have truly served him and done their human best, aided by his grace, to live the way of life he preached; then, as he told one man, “you will have treasure in heaven; and come follow me.” [Mark 10:21] If we have accepted that invitation, let us keep our feet firmly on the narrow path, that Jesus has trod before us! If we have not yet done so, let us ask ourselves, ‘Why not?’ Tonight I and others anticipate joy in witnessing a young man take on the name of Christ in baptism – may others be soon motivated to do the same.

-------

- DC

15 September 2012

2 Kings 21

Ezekiel 11

Luke 7

“I KNOW THE THINGS THAT COME INTO YOUR MIND”

The words of Ezekiel the prophet invite us to think about how God works; the unlimited power he has to know all that is happening; more than that, to know all that men and women are thinking! And of course Jesus had the same ability; if you were not on the side of Jesus it must have been unnerving when you were forced to realize this, it was surely somewhat the experience of Simon the Pharisee in today’s reading of Luke 7:36-50.

In Ezekiel today [Ezekiel 11] we read [Ezekiel 11:5] how the spirit of the LORD fell on him and he is told to say “Thus says the LORD: So you think O house of Israel, for I know the things that come into your mind.” (Ezekiel 11:2 had told us they “devise iniquity” and “give wicked counsel”) Again, [Ezekiel 11:8] “You have feared the sword, and I will bring the sword upon you.” God knows the things we devise in our minds - he looks to see if we are seeking his help to get rid of them.

Ezekiel becomes very distressed at the revelation of God’s impending horrific judgements on Israel and he falls on his face saying [Ezekiel 11:13] “Ah Lord GOD! Will you make a full end of the remnant of Israel?”

God responds to that plea by saying three things.

The first stage is to be [Ezekiel 11:16] he will be “a sanctuary to them …, in the countries where they had gone.” That seems to predict the synagogue system that started to develop in the Centuries that followed: it was in full operation by the time of Christ. The synagogues were the first stop in the preaching of Paul and others, they went into the synagogues to spread the gospel message.

The Second stage, [Ezekiel 11:17] looked into the distant future, although Ezekiel would not have realized this. “I will gather you from the peoples and assemble you out of the countries;” - that was the situation during the 20th Century.

Third, [Ezekiel 11:19] “I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them.” When they see, and recognise Jesus as their Messiah this will happen. But notice the warning in Ezekiel 11:21 “But as for those whose heart goes after detestable things … I will bring their deeds upon their own heads.” This will apply to both Jews and Gentiles. May we turn from the “detestable things” that surround us and have a new heart and a new spirit as a result of our reading of God’s word and our regular fellowship with those who also do this.

-------

- DC

16 September 2012

2 Kings 22; 23

Ezekiel 12

Luke 8

“IN HIS RIGHT MIND”

Of all the miracles Jesus did the one that usually creates the most comment and questions is the occasion when he healed the madman among the tombs and sent his “demons” into a herd of pigs and they all drowned. The most important thing is to realize the purpose of Jesus in the way this healing happened. Often there is more than one purpose in the actions of Jesus; as with his Father, he saw the “end” from the beginning [isaiah 46:10].

There is a significant situation behind this event. The man, when he was normal, had lived in the nearby town, he owned a home there [Luke 8:39], so the people would have known him when he was well. They could not help but see it was a miraculous healing, for they found him “sitting at the feet of Jesus and in his right mind” [Luke 8:35]. In many other situations when someone was healed we read of many others then coming for healing – and that is very understandable. But this time, the people begged Jesus to go away! [Luke 8:37] Why? Because of the destruction of the pigs, obviously the owners lived in the town.

The Law of Moses forbad eating pork, Isaiah condemns the Jews over this [isaiah 65:4; 66:3,17], yet there were Jews here who had a large herd; it was a good way of making money, even if the Gentiles were their only customers, which is doubtful! We conclude therefore that, led by very angry pig owners, they begged Jesus to go away! It is obvious where their priorities lay! Are not the same priorities evident today: what counts most in our lives? How few are interested in spiritual ‘healing’ for their eternal well-being?

Jesus had not finished with the people of this place, he told the healed man to stay and witness to the people among whom he lived, testifying as to what had happened and that Jesus was “the Son of the Most High God” [Luke 8:28] as he had cried out. And he did; that must have caused some hard thinking - after begging Jesus to go away!!

But what sort of healing is the best healing? It is a healing that still happens today. Much more eternal than casting out the ‘demons’ of the mind is the healing of hearts - and a commitment to live God’s way! The witnessing of the healed man may well have borne fruit for Jesus did come back again to this area (see Mark 6:53-56)

-------

- DC

17 September 2012

2 Kings 24; 25

Ezekiel 13

Luke 9

“I WILL FOLLOW YOU WHEREVER …”

The finish of today’s chapter in Luke is about three different people and the reasons they gave for delaying putting into practice their decision to follow Jesus. “I will follow you wherever you go” they had said. It had been exciting to follow Jesus, amazing things had been happening, food had been provided – miraculously – in the wilderness.

It was OK to follow Jesus if he was going to see everything was provided, places to ‘lay your head’ – but he then said to the first person – that was not going to be the case!

‘Let me first go and bury my father’ said another [Luke 9:59]. Maybe his father was very elderly, but even if he had just died, there would be more than a few days delay; one can imagine there would then be a lot of family responsibilities to be taken care of as a result of the death! But others can do that, just as others carried on the fishing, of “the hired servants” did it when the disciples who had been fishermen left their boats to follow Jesus. The words, “Let the dead bury their own dead” [Luke 9:60] remind us of Paul’s words to Timothy, advice to him in guiding the believers at Ephesus, “she (or he) who is self-indulgent is dead even while she lives.” [1 Timothy 5:6]

A third said, ‘I will follow you Lord, but let me first say farewell to those in my home” [Luke 9:61] How many times do people say, “Yes – and then - BUT …” So the lesson is that if personal considerations come first - their discipleship is delayed or ineffective. Jesus does not want that kind of disciple! Note the last verse of the chapter, “No one who puts his hand to the plough and looks back is fit for the kingdom.” You cannot plough a straight and useful furrow if you are looking back.

So if we have been baptised or are thinking of baptism let us realize the kind of commitment Jesus expects of us. But let us think positively, as Jesus did! His mind was focussed on “the joy that was set before him … ” [Hebrews 12:2] Two verses further on (into tomorrow’s chapter) comes Jesus’ words about the harvest labourers being few! But true labourers for the Lord have their priorities in the right order, may you be one of them.

-------

- DC

18 September 2012

1 Chronicles 1

Ezekiel 14

Luke 10

" ... AND YET COMES TO THE PROPHET"

Ezekiel is recognised as a man in touch with God, as a true prophet, by the “elders of Israel” [Ezekiel 14:1], they are all together in captivity. They had been taken into captivity because of their godlessness. Note God’s attitude about those who came to listen to Ezekiel for God knew their hearts. He writes, “the word of the LORD came to me: ‘Son of man, these men have taken their idols into their hearts, and have set the stumbling block of their iniquity before their faces. Should I indeed let myself be consulted by them?” [Ezekiel 14:3]

Then the LORD says, “Anyone … who takes his idols into his heart and sets up a stumbling block of his iniquity before his face, and yet comes to the prophet, I the LORD will answer him … that I may lay hold of the hearts … who are estranged from me through their idols.” [Ezekiel 14:4-5]

Let us be clear about the principle here. In believing and seeking to serve God, it must be with our whole heart. Other prophets had the same message, Hosea said, “Their heart is false; now they must bear their guilt.” [Hosea 10:2] There is a song that is popular among many, “‘Lord, give me an undivided heart.’” – but the onus is on us to put out of our minds any ‘idols’ that attract and distract our thinking. This had been the case in previous generations; in the reign of good king Asa, people came to worship “And all Judah rejoiced … for they had sworn with all their heart and had sought him with their whole desire, and he was found by them …” [2 Chronicles 15:15]

Our song and prayer should be for help to develop undivided hearts. We do not have prophets today, instead we have God’s word. But those with “divided” hearts very easily misunderstand it as they try to find proof of what they want to believe – and also justify their way of life.

Ezekiel 14:9 is a challenge to understand, “if the prophet is deceived , I the LORD have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand against him and will destroy him … they shall bear their punishment – the punishment of the prophet and the punishment of the inquirer alike – that the house of Israel may no more go astray from me, nor defile themselves … ” The purpose of God’s action is clear, to correct the straying ways of his people, “that they may be my people and I may be their God …” [Ezekiel 14:11] But ‘prophets’ ancient and modern, with divided hearts, are allowed to tread the path they have chosen.

Here are lessons for us today that we may “not be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.” [2 Timothy 2:15] Sadly, many do not and God allows them to be deceived, let us seek him ‘with our whole desire’ then he will be “found” by us in a wondrous relationship founded on a prayerful meditation on his word.

-------

- DC

19 September 2012

1 Chronicles 2

Ezekiel 15

Luke 11

"WHEN YOUR EYE IS HEALTHY"

In today’s chapter [Luke 11] Luke records some of the sayings of Jesus which require careful thought and comparison with other scriptures to unravel our Lord’s underlying meaning. In Luke 11:33 he comments on the correct use of lamps, needed when there is darkness – and then speaks of darkness as being both literal and spiritual.

Jesus next says, “Your eye is the lamp of your body” [Luke 11:34] and that is true, how difficult life is for the blind – but Jesus’ then makes it clear he is not talking of physical blindness: “when your eye is healthy your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad, your body is full of darkness.” What kind of “eye” is this? What is the “light”?

This reminds us of the exclamation of Job at the climax of his life. He had agonized with many words about the ways of God in allowing all the troubles that had befallen him. His 3 friends were sure of the reason, in their ‘mechanical’ perception that troubles only come as a punishment for sin! But Job, although he could not understand why events had happened to him, knew better. His final words to the LORD, after the Almighty speaks to him are, “”I know that you can do all things, that no purpose of yours can be thwarted … I have uttered what I did not understand …I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; therefore I despise myself, and repent …” [Job 42:2,3,5,6]

Job now “saw” with the “eye” of his mind the ways of God! This is what Jesus is talking about; so many of the minds of his hearers were “full of darkness.” Note his next words; “therefore be careful lest the light in you be darkness. If then your whole body be full of light, having no part dark, it will be wholly bright …” [Luke 11:35-36] How wonderful. But so often human beings only look at the physical and not the spiritual; in Luke 11:27 a “woman in the crowd said to Jesus, “Blessed is the womb that bore you …” But Jesus responds, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it.” Today we can say, ‘Blessed are those who read the word of God – and after reading it, keep it – and then the “eye” of their thinking will be healthy.

A final thought – how meaningful are the words of Paul to the Ephesians, “I do not cease to give thanks for you … in my prayers … having the eyes of your hearts enlightened that you may know …” [Ephesians 1:16,18] Read the context, it is very enlightening, let us all have the eyes of our hearts enlightened.

-------

- DC

20 September 2012

1 Chronicles 3

Ezekiel 16

Luke 12

"AN EVERLASTING COVENANT"

Ezekiel is told by the LORD to “make known to Jerusalem her abominations” [Ezekiel 16:2] He develops an elaborate parable that begins with all the blessings the people had experienced through the LORD who “entered into a covenant with you” [Ezekiel 16:8]. This was at Sinai – through Moses. In Ezekiel 16:14 we read “your renown went forth among the nations because of your beauty, for it was perfect through the splendour that I bestowed on you, declares the Lord God.” And so it happened; under the leadership of David and Solomon – it was a time of great blessing – the times were somewhat repeated under the reigns of good kings like Asa, Hezekiah and Josiah.

Ezekiel states that God now sees the nation as a “prostitute” - totally given over to godless ways, disgracefully misusing his Temple in Jerusalem. However, the chapter ends with God stating how, although the nation had “despised the oath in breaking the covenant, yet I will remember my covenant with you in the days of your youth, and I will establish for you an everlasting covenant.” [Ezekiel 16:59-60]

History shows how God dealt with them – destroying the city and its temple both in Ezekiel’s day and again in AD70 after they had rejected Jesus. But we believe God’s word that his covenant is truly everlasting, in our lifetime the nation has been re-established – so the last 2 verses are most significant.

“I will establish my covenant with you, and you shall know that I am the LORD, that you may remember and be confounded … when I atone for you for all that you have done, declares the Lord GOD.” The time is coming when the people of Israel “shall know” God and his covenant and how it was re-affirmed to them through - Jesus.

But there are words of tragedy in our Luke reading [Luke 13] Some Jews, raised for judgement, will say in that day, “We ate and drank in your presence and you taught in our streets. But he will say, ‘I tell you, I do not know where you are from. Depart from me …” [Luke 13:26-27]

In contrast “people will come from the east and west, and from north and south, and recline at table in the kingdom of God” [Luke 13:29] Will we be among these people? Will some, who are not allowed to “recline at table” say something like – ‘We had a Bible in our house and sometimes read it and listened to preaching?’ What did Jesus say when someone asked him, “Lord, will those who are saved be few?” [Luke 13:23] The answer is in the verses that follow.

-------

- DC

21 September 2012

1 Chronicles 4

Ezekiel 17

Luke 13; 14

“UNLESS YOU REPENT YOU WILL …”

Sin is not a word people use these days. People who do wrong, try hard to avoid any punishment. The prominent and wealthy employ expensive lawyers to help them avoid or minimize punishment. In the days of Jesus, people were expected to recognise that God was involved in causing events which brought punishment for their sins; the Old Testament shows the prophets repeatedly made this point to the people.

Our reading in Ezekiel 17 shows this – the prophet is to tell a parable about 2 eagles and a vine, and then say, “Do you not know what these things mean? … behold the king of Babylon came to Jerusalem … that the kingdom might be humble … and keep his (God’s) covenant that it might stand. But he rebelled …” [Ezekiel 17:12,14,15].

There comes a point when God acts because the people are fixed in their godless ways, although he keeps showing mercy to individuals. In the end God brought total destruction on Jerusalem because of the abundance of their sins and lack of repentance.

Now we see Jesus weeping over Jerusalem because he could see this was going to happen again; the last 3 verses of today’s chapter in Luke [Luke 13:33-35] show Jesus agonising over the future of the people. See the very interesting point he makes in Luke 13:4; evidently people had been saying that when a tower collapsed in Siloam and killed 18 people, those people must have been worse sinners than others. How did Jesus respond? “No” he says, and “I tell you; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

If we are not on God’s side, trying to do his will, there is no future for us. There are only 2 options, if we are not on his side, we are against him, recall Luke 11:23. Jesus followed up his warning with a parable about a man who planted a tree [Luke 13:6-9]; for 3 years he looked for fruit, but found none. It was given one more year to produce fruit and a special effort was made to fertilise it. If it did not produce fruit it would be destroyed. Jesus made a special effort to fertilize the “tree” of Israel [Matthew 15:24]. Most would not heed; those who did were largely the common people who “heard him gladly.” Forty years later there was terrible destruction.

Now that “the times of the Gentiles” [Luke 21:24] are at an end, the same grim warning applies to us! “Unless you repent you will …” Are there still some who hear his message gladly?

-------

- DC

22 September 2012

1 Chronicles 5

Ezekiel 18

Luke 15

"JOY BEFORE THE ANGELS OF GOD"

Our readings today in both Ezekiel and Luke highlight how God looks to see a repentant spirit among individuals and when it happens “there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents” [Luke 15:10].

We noted the emphasis on one sinner. The Jewish communal way of life under the Law of Moses around the tabernacle and later in the Temple had a tendency to think in national terms, I am “right” in the sight of God because I am a member of his “chosen people.” Is there not the same attitude within Christianity?

Yet in the time of Christ at least, the Jews saw themselves as split into two camps. The self righteous Pharisees thought this, they grumbled about Jesus saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them” [Luke 15:2] and huddled together in their self-righteousness.

The chapter records 3 parables of Jesus that show God is concerned about individuals. First, is the story of the lost sheep, then the lost coin and then the familiar one about the prodigal son – although this may be more appropriate to describe as the parable of the forgiving father. The words of Peter in his 2nd Epistle challenge us, he wrote “The Lord is not slow to fulfil his promise as some count slowness but is patient toward you, not wishing that any (of you) should perish, but that all (of you) should reach repentance.” [2 Peter 3:9]

The words we put in brackets are not in the text, but the flow of reasoning strongly implies them - especially in view of the opening words in 2 Peter 2 about the “false prophets” and “destructive heresies” leading them astray [2 Peter 2:1-3]. We are not justified in assuming God does not is not willing that anyone at all should perish. Today there are so many who do “not see fit to acknowledge God, (so) God gave them up to a debased mind …” [Romans 1:28 (see Romans 1:24,26)].

Ezekiel 18 is the chapter which twice tells us “the soul who sins shall die” [Ezekiel 18:4,20]: verses which those who cling to the belief that the soul is immortal ignore, but the Heb. word rendered as soul, both here and elsewhere, basically means, person. See the point in Ezekiel 18:21, the one who “turns away from his sins … and keeps my statutes and does what is just and right, he shall surely live: he shall not die” (eternally) – creating “joy before the angels of God.” Finally, look up the last 2 verses of the Epistle of James about our potential for action toward lost or straying sheep [James 5:19-20].

-------

- DC

23 September 2012

1 Chronicles 6

Ezekiel 19

Luke 16

“YOU CANNOT SERVE GOD AND … ”

In the end, our purpose in life comes down to one of two things. Jesus sums it all up in today’s reading in Luke. “No servant can serve two masters … he will be devoted to the one and despise the other” He ends by bluntly saying, “You cannot serve God and money” [Luke 16:13] What is it to “serve” money?

This is not the most common Greek word for ‘serve’, in Acts, Luke only uses the word in Acts 20:19 when he quoted Paul’s words to the Ephesian elders (and Luke was with him at the time), he told them, “You yourselves know how I lived …. serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials … I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable …” This was serving indeed!

In writing to the Romans about issues over the law of Moses Paul says, “but now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so now we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit.” [Romans 7:6] But the commitment involved in serving is parallel; it is the same! Most interesting is the fact that the one place where John used the Greek word in his gospel (John 8:33) it is translated as “enslaved”!

Those Jesus sees as serving money he sees as being enslaved to it. It is the ‘be all’ and ‘end all’ of their thinking. Today, it is a matter of the things money can ‘buy,’ the pleasure and pride of owning the best of everything, of taking fabulous holidays, etc., with a token gesture toward others to ease their conscience, even fitting in a visit to church.

Those who serve God, see how temporary and misleading are the rewards of serving money. People who decide to serve God have a “bigger mind”, i.e. a bigger vision of thought. That famous chapter of Hebrews 11 selects the example of Moses when, surrounded by wealth as the adopted grandson of Pharaoh, “choosing to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt” [Hebrews 11:25-26]

What do we consider to be of greater wealth today? Less and less would make Christ their choice. Some, foolishly, try to have it both ways. If we are “lukewarm” - as with Laodicea, let us remember the message of Jesus to them - read Revelation 3:15-16.

-------

- DC

24 September 2012

1 Chronicles 7

Ezekiel 20

Luke 17

“WHOEVER SEEKS TO PRESERVE HIS LIFE WILL …”

Those who read the Bible regularly know that the shortest verse is “Jesus wept” [John 11:35]. It occurs when Jesus comes to the tomb of Lazarus after he had been dead 4 days. Everyone is weeping, the two sisters of Lazarus, Mary and Martha were there, they were grief stricken and at this point Jesus himself wept, but very soon there was great joy. But the second shortest verse in the Bible describes an opposite situation!

It is the words Jesus said about a person who was in the process of being saved, but then wasn’t. Not only was she not saved but neither were the others in her city – except her husband and 2 daughters. We read it today in Luke 17:32; Jesus is warning about the terrible drama to occur as he returns to this earth! For the vast majority of people this will be utterly traumatic.

It is here we get the 3 word verse, Jesus says, “Remember Lot’s wife.” She was leaving Sodom reluctantly and looked and held back; her heart was in what she was leaving behind. She refused the guiding hand of the angels which her husband and daughters accepted. Jesus is indicating there will be some who do the same thing at the time of his return. After saying, “Remember Lot’s wife” he adds, “Whoever seeks to preserve his life will lose it.”

What are they seeking to preserve? The things they value in this life, for their minds are centred on the abundance of the things they possess. Do you remember what you read in Luke 12:15 just 4 days ago? “One’s life does not consist of the abundance of his (or her) possessions.”

It is intriguing that these words of Jesus about his return started when “the Pharisees asked when the kingdom of God would come” [Luke 17:20] His answer is, “The Kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed” – it would not be a situation in which people would notice his impending arrival, as when he was on the back of the donkey. How little did these Pharisees really know the Old Testament prophets – they had tunnel vision on what they wanted to believe! But what about us?

Suddenly the King of the Kingdom will be in their midst, Jesus tells them [Luke 17:21], “for as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day” [Luke 17:24]. He then reminds them of the rescue of Lot, “so will it be when the Son of Man is revealed.” [Luke 17:28-30] Reluctant believers, with little oil of real faith in their lamps will suffer the same fate as Lot’s wife, so let us make sure this life does not dominate our thinking.

-------

- DC

25 September 2012

1 Chronicles 8

Ezekiel 21

Luke 18

"NEVERTHELESS WHEN THE SON OF MAN COMES ..."

Today we read the parable of the persistent widow who kept coming to the judge in her city asking “justice against my adversary” – but this “judge neither feared God nor respected men” [Luke 18:23]. We get the impression some countries today have many judges like that, maybe it would resonate in the minds of some of Jesus’ hearers with some judges they knew!

In the end, the judge says, “because this widow keeps bothering me, I will give her justice” [Luke 18:5] Jesus then draws the great contrast between a judge of this nature and God, saying, “will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them?” [Luke 18:7]

The Psalms of David illustrate his experiences with God. Also we are presently reading Ezekiel’s constant contacts with God. The life of Paul provides many examples, remember how an angel appeared to him in the tempest tossed ship on the way to Rome when all seemed lost. [Acts 27:21-25].

The climax of the parable applies to the very last days – and raises the question as to whether there will be any real faith existing then. Luke 18:8 is the climax and ‘punch line’ of this challenging parable. “Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?” Some have suggested it means, ‘the faith’ in the sense of ‘a true faith’ – but the Gk does not support this. We checked more than a dozen translations and only the Amplified Bible put in “the” - rendering it as “persistence in the faith?” Intelligent faith is an essential foundation for real faith in action.

Christ’s question is for us to answer today! No doubt there were times when such as Paul and Jeremiah cried out in faith day and night! But how much will that be the case when, as we are due to read on Friday, there is “distress of nations in perplexity … people fainting with fear and with foreboding of what is coming on the world.” [Luke 21:26] Now read the next 2 verses – and let us make sure the lamps of our faith are full of oil. [Luke 21:27-28]

-------

- DC