TFTBR - August 2012

Resource Manager

01 August 2012

2 Samuel 18

Jeremiah 22

Romans 9

"IT DEPENDS ... ON GOD WHO HAS MERCY"

The special lesson we learn today, in what we can call ‘the bottom line’ is that in the end everything depends upon God’s mercy toward us – because no one can “earn” salvation by their own righteousness. We read of David’s distress of mind over Absalom; his emotional love for his wayward son would not allow him to think clearly. All his life until his grievous sins, he had seen life from God’s point of view, as many Psalms reveal.

It is sin that distracts us from seeing clearly. Paul makes a valuable point in our Romans chapter. He asks, when God “hates” someone like Esau “is there injustice on God’s part?” The answer! “By no means” [Romans 9:14] He then makes the point, “For he says to Moses, ‘I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion’ Thus it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God who has mercy.” [Romans 9:15-16]

We can in no way ‘earn’ salvation, our lives are spent in doing what we can to show our heart-felt appreciation of his mercy. Jesus gave his life for us, how motivated are we to serve Christ as a result? Recall how Paul expresses it at the end of Romans 5, “…as sin reigned in death (before he/we knew Christ) grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” [Romans 5:21]

The righteousness of our Lord “covers” all our sins because grace reigns! How wonderful. David realised the wonder of God’s mercy more fully after his sin – and we are inspired by some of his Psalms written on that theme – see particularly Psalm 25; 51; 69; 106; 109 – so David’s sin “worked together for good” for other struggling believers – right down through the Centuries – refreshed in spirit by his words – so we see the deeper purpose and wisdom of God in making use of David’s intense spirituality.

On the other hand the letter to the Hebrews has a verse of dire warning. After writing of the punishment of sinners under the Law of Moses the question is put, “How much worse punishment, do you think will be deserved by the one who has spurned the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the spirit of grace?” [Hebrews 10:29] May we so live that we are among the “vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory – even us whom he has called …” [Romans 9:23-24] In the Scriptures we ‘hear’ him calling! Are you listening properly?

-------

- DC

02 August 2012

2 Samuel 19

Jeremiah 23

Romans 10; 11

"IN THE LATTER DAYS YOU WILL ..."

Our 4 chapters listed for today are of great interest. David is re-installed as king, causing great heart-searching among those who had been drawn away to follow his vain son Absalom: an example of the type of leader many have followed or elected in recent years with Hitler being by far the worst example.

Our chapter in Jeremiah is firstly about God’s extreme anger with his people at that time, “Both prophet and priest are ungodly; even in my house (the temple) I have found their evil, declares the LORD. Therefore their way shall be to them like slippery paths in the darkness …” [Jeremiah 23:11-12] So it is today!

The scene changes dramatically as God gives his prophet a vision of the distant future – our time! The question is put, “who has paid attention to his word and listened” [Jeremiah 23:18]. Surely a valid question for today! Then come the words, “Behold the storm of the LORD! Wrath has gone forth, a whirling tempest; it will burst upon the head of the wicked. The anger of the LORD will not turn back until he has executed and accomplished the intents of his heart. In the latter days you will understand it clearly.” [Jeremiah 23:19-20] Only those who read God’s word thoroughly know the intents of his heart.

Romans 10; 11 also climax with a latter day application. Paul is explaining the position of Israel as a nation “because they did not submit to God’s righteousness” [Romans 10:3] and have been “broken off” God’s olive tree that non-Jews “might be grafted in” [Romans 11:19]. The non-Jews (Gentiles) are warned to “stand in awe. For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you” [Romans 11:20-21]

We were fascinated to attend a Messianic Jewish Synagogue last week and hear a Jew expound this chapter. It seems significant that Jewish Christians have emerged in the last 20 years or so. Finally note Romans 11:25 and its warning to non-Jews, “lest you be wise in your own conceits I want you to understand this mystery, brothers (and sisters): a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.”

We are surely nearing the point when the “fullness” - the full number from God’s perspective - have “come in” and committed their lives to Christ and the original gospel Paul preached. Then “the natural branches (will) be grafted back into their own olive tree.” [Romans 11:24] Make sure you are among “the fullness of the Gentiles” and have “paid attention to his word” “for the latter days” are surely here and nearly complete.

-------

- DC

03 August 2012

2 Samuel 20; 21

Jeremiah 24

Romans 12

" ... BY THE MERCIES OF GOD"

Today we have a really special chapter – Romans 12. Its’ 21 verses all provoke deep thought for meditation. Let’s start with Romans 12:1, “I appeal to you therefore brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.”

The more we sense God’s mercies, both to others, but especially to ourselves, there must be a reaction in us. We have seen how David reacted to God’s mercy in not dealing with him as he knew he deserved after sins in relation to Bathsheba. Look how often he uses the word “mercy” in the Psalms, The familiar Psalms 51 starts, “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy …” One could retranslate this using the word “grace.” David made his life, more than ever, “a living sacrifice” as he appreciated the greatness of God’s mercy and grace.

The verse in Romans ends in an uncommon way – telling us that this attitude of “living sacrifice …is your spiritual worship.” Is not all worship spiritual? The answer is a resounding ‘No!’ Jeremiah’s message to the people was very blunt about that. In contrast, true worship must be intensely so. Take note of the word “therefore” in our key verse. Whenever “therefore” occurs always look at what has gone before, there is a key sequence of thought. Note the closing verses of Romans 11. “Oh the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! … For who has known the mind of the Lord … for from him and through him and to him are all things … I appeal to you therefore …”

Paul’s heart-felt appeal is for them to contemplate the “knowledge” and “mind” of God and as a result “present your bodies as a living sacrifice”. This “sacrifice” means we must “ … not be conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewal of your mind” [Romans 12:2] And the result of this transformation? “… that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”

Paul was clear as to what “the will of God” was for him. His footprints are too big for us to follow, yet they provide the inspiration, an example, for like him, we have all received mercy, and will continue to do so.

Finally, note his words in 2 Corinthians 4:1-2. “Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart. But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God’s word …” Yes, let us not tamper with God’s word, our consistent daily reading fills our minds with a balanced picture so we do not bend it to what we want to believe, as some do, such to believe they go to heaven when they die. Did you notice how this quotation started with “therefore”? Make time to look at the previous verse.

-------

- DC

04 August 2012

2 Samuel 22

Jeremiah 25

Romans 13; 14

"EVERY TONGUE SHALL CONFESS ..."

In today’s chapter of Paul’s letter to the Romans Paul is urging harmony between believers. He asks, “Who are you to pass judgement on the servant of another?” [Romans 14:4] He tells them “not to quarrel over opinions” [Romans 14:1]. He gives examples; the first is disagreements over observing specific days [Romans 14:6]; the second is on what believers should, or should not allow themselves to eat [Romans 14:15].

Paul puts it this way, “It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.” [Romans 14:21] Paul asks a significant question! Why do you pass judgement on your brother? … Why do you despise your brother?” [Romans 14:10] Beware, for a ‘superior’ attitude indicates the sin of pride and betrays our unwise feelings of self-importance. After asking these questions Paul makes a powerful point.

“For we will all stand before the judgement seat of God; for it is written, ‘As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.’ So then each of us will give an account of him(her)self to God” . [Romans 14:10-11] So, “at the judgement seat” what will be seen as important? One thing surely will be – how we have treated our fellow believers. We need to meditate very deeply on what we “shall confess to God”?

In Romans 13, which is also today’s reading, Paul wrote words which are so appropriate to this year of 2012; “The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armour of light. Let us walk properly as in the day time ..” [Romans 13:12-13]

How long before the night of human darkness is completed and the awesome presence of the return of the Son of God is revealed we do not know, but there is some comparison with the desperate message Jeremiah utters in today’s chapter, Jeremiah 25. It was “in the fourth year of Jehoiakim” [Jeremiah 25:1] so, although Jeremiah did not know it, there were but 19 years to go before the destruction of their magnificent Temple and the end of their vain human lives.

But Jeremiah is caused to also utter prophesies which go beyond that terrible event - to ‘see’ the climax of human life on earth, he said, “… the LORD has an indictment against all the nations … Thus says the LORD of hosts; Behold disaster is going forth from nation to nation, and a great tempest is stirring from the farthest parts of the earth” [Jeremiah 25:31-32]. It may not be long before we stand before the judgement seat of God … and every tongue shall confess…” It will then be clear, from the Divine viewpoint, whether we have been wise or foolish servants – or servants at all!.

-------

- DC

05 August 2012

2 Samuel 23

Jeremiah 26

Romans 15; 16

"WHATEVER WAS WRITTEN IN FORMER DAYS ..."

As we complete reading Paul’s letter to the Romans we note his point that “whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” [Romans 15:4] “The Scriptures” are, of course, the Old Testament. Paul wanted the Gentile Christian converts in Rome to realize these Jewish scrolls are now for them as well. Those who claim to follow Christ today need to realize this too – many think they only need the New Testament, or at most, only the Psalms and Proverbs.

One particular reason that Paul gives is the examples of “endurance” in the service of God will give them encouragement and hope. He writes, ”may the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another …” [Romans 15:5] When the world around us is godless and falling apart because there is no unifying spirit of faith and vision, it is more important than ever for true believers to be in harmony and to be a source of strength to each other.

How desperate the situation of Jeremiah is becoming! His faith is now undergoing greater tests. We read today how “the priests and the (false) prophets said … ‘This man deserves the sentence of death because he has prophesied against this city …” [Jeremiah 26:11] Jeremiah is an outstanding example of endurance for us.

In our 2 Samuel 23 reading we have “the last words of David … the sweet psalmist of Israel” [2 Samuel 23:1]. He says, “The Spirit of the LORD speaks by me; his word is on my tongue. [2 Samuel 23:2] What words we have in his and other Psalms to give us “encouragement” in order to endure. Although not tested at present as Jeremiah was; but we know a few that are which we must remember in prayer, we must not turn to prayer as a last resort as the final king in Jerusalem did, sending to Jeremiah an urgent message “Please pray for us to the LORD ..” [Jeremiah 37:3], but it was too late.

Returning to our chapter in Romans we notice how Paul selects 4 different quotations from the Old Testament [Romans 15:9-12] which all relate to what was written under God’s inspiration about the involvement of the Gentiles. The time had now arrived for them to “glorify God for his mercy.” [Romans 15:9] Paul had been previously blind to the significance of these Scriptures. Let us not be blind “to whatever was written in former days” – for as this world becomes even more unstable we will need all the encouragement and spiritual strength the Scriptures provide – remember Jesus said, “the one who endures to the end will be saved.” [Matthew 24:13]

-------

- DC

06 August 2012

2 Samuel 24

Jeremiah 27

Mark 1

“THE ANGER OF THE LORD WAS KINDLED …”

The final chapter in 2 Samuel begins by telling us “again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel.” We are not told why God was angry, there is no indication that it was comparable with his anger in the days of Jeremiah resulting in the Temple and the city being destroyed. We suggest his anger with Israel was because so many people had been ready to rally around Absalom and go to war against David and his faithful men. These had no depth of appreciation over the conquests and success of David in totally subduing the Philistines and other nations.

We ponder the verse which goes on to say that the LORD “incited David against them, saying, Go, number Israel and Judah.” Joab reluctantly carried David’s request and completed the numbering of “valiant men who draw the sword” [2 Samuel 24:9] Then we read, “But David’s heart struck him after he had numbered the people. And David said to the LORD, ‘I have sinned greatly in what I have done … I have acted very foolishly” [2 Samuel 24:10]

David knew from past experience that the LORD “can save by many or by few” [1 Samuel 14:6] as his dear friend Jonathan had said and experienced. It is better by few, then it is more evident that a victory has not been achieved by man’s own strength.

Our conclusion of the meaning behind the phrase that the LORD “incited David” - is that it means the Lord allowed David to follow his own foolish desires. There is a Proverb which says, “The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps” [Proverbs 16:9] and another, “The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will.” [Proverbs 21:1] In this case, it served the LORD’s purpose to allow David to follow his desires. The result taught David a lesson and at the same time led to the deserved punishment of the people.

In that sense God became a “satan” - as the parallel account in 1 Chronicles 21:1 tells us. This should not surprise us as the first occurrence of the Hebrew word ‘satanas’ in the Bible describes the action of an angel from God in being an adversary to Balaam [Numbers 22:22] Indeed the Hebrew word Satan (satanas) is many times translated as adversary in the Old Testament and names these adversaries, especially adversaries of Solomon, at the end of his reign. [1 Kings 11:14, 23, 25] Remember Peter became a satan, an adversary to Jesus, as we will read shortly in Mark 8:33. May not any of us become a satan! This can happen when we are ‘blind’ to the ways of God. Let us know and do the will of our Heavenly Father as much as we can.

-------

- DC

07 August 2012

1 Kings 1

Jeremiah 28

Mark 2

“WHEN JESUS SAW THEIR FAITH”

Today we have the account of` a miracle of Jesus that we tend to remember most. Jesus had now become so sought after that it was sometimes difficult to see and hear him. There is a paralysed man who lay on a bed that 4 friends carried, but it was impossible for them to bring him anywhere near Jesus. “because of the crowd they removed the roof above him, and when they had made an opening, they let down the bed … ” [Mark 2:4] Then comes a very interesting statement, “and when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, ‘My son your sins are forgiven.’” [Mark 2:5] and he is told to, “rise, pick up your bed and go home.” [Mark 2:11]

This is not saying the paralytic had no faith, but Jesus was conscious of how much faith the 4 friends had in all the effort they went to; they had supreme faith in what Jesus could do. This causes us to reflect on the power of prayer and actions that are done in faith on behalf of others. Jeremiah had become such a person. But three times the LORD tells him, “As for you, do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede with me ..” [Jeremiah 7:16 see also Jeremiah 11:14 and Jeremiah 14:11] The LORD did not want to be influenced by his prayers.

That clearly shows that when a righteous person prays, God hears and hearkens. James, in his epistle states, “… pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power in its working.” [James 5:16] David has a heart stirring observation in Psalm 34:15, “The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry … when the righteous cry for help the LORD hears ..” [Psalm 34:15,17]

Did you notice in Romans 1 we read last week how Paul wrote that, “God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son , that without ceasing I mention you always in my prayers, asking that somehow by God’s will I may now at last succeed in coming to you.” [Romans 1:9-10] Interesting phrase – “somehow by God’s will” - that is a phrase we can and should use in our personal prayers – and in our prayers on behalf of others. This is what Jesus said in his prayers in the Garden of Gethsemane.

James made that point, “ … you ought to say, ‘if the Lord wills, we will do this or that.’” [James 4:15] May the Lord see our faith go from strength to strength. It is trials that cause this to happen; Peter observed, “ if necessary … grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith – more precious than gold that perishes … may be found to result in praise and glory and honour at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” [1 Peter 1:6-7]

-------

- DC

08 August 2012

1 Kings 2

Jeremiah 29

Mark 3

"GUILTY OF AN ETERNAL SIN"

Imagine you are living in Israel as reports about what Jesus is doing and saying spread. Our reading in Mark shows what contrasting reactions took place. The worst reactions were among those who felt their positions of authority were under threat. It also came from those who were proud of their interpretations of the very letter of the laws of Moses: they were sure they were ‘right’ in the sight of God. People of this way of thinking closed their minds to block out any consideration of what Jesus was actually doing or saying!

We read yesterday that they asked, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” [Mark 2:16]. Today, we read how a man with a withered hand was in the synagogue on the Sabbath. Jesus asks, “Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?” [Mark 3:4] They gave no answer.

After he healed the man they “immediately held counsel … how to destroy him.” [Mark 3:6] They now tried to slander him to the people, “He is possessed by Beelzebul … the prince of demons” [Mark 3:22], this shows they had been influenced by Greek mythology and its ways of thinking. Their intense jealousy blinded them to the wonder of the miracles he wrought by the power of the Holy Spirit which God had given him “without measure” [John 3:34]. They said, “he has an unclean spirit” [Mark 3:30] which lead Jesus to say “Truly I say to you, all sins will be forgiven … and whatever blasphemies they utter, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness but is guilty of an eternal sin.” [Mark 3:29]

What remarkable things Jesus was able to do because he had the full measure of the Holy Spirit! How could they be so blind – but we humans can act and reason very strangely. There is a comparison with convictions today. This is the denial that there is a God and that he is the cause of all that exists.

The second verse of the Bible is about God’s spirit in action to create this world and the things in it. It is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit to deny there is a Creator and his acts of creation! The time is coming when God will display his full anger on a world that has convinced itself that he does not exist. Let us make sure we are on the Lord’s side and, where-ever we can, shed a little light in the darkness that now exists..

-------

- DC

09 August 2012

1 Kings 3

Jeremiah 30

Mark 4

"IN THE LATTER DAYS YOU WILL UNDERSTAND"

Jeremiah 30 is intriguing. The last verse challenges our thinking, “The fierce anger of the LORD will not turn back until he has executed and accomplished the intentions of his mind. In the latter days you will understand this.” [Jeremiah 30:24]

In the chapter’s opening verses Jeremiah is told, “Thus says the LORD … write in a book … behold the days are coming … when I will restore the fortunes of my people Israel … I will bring them back to the land that I gave to their fathers …” [Jeremiah 30:2-3]. The verses in between challenge our understanding. We wish some of them were at least a little clearer, but many are quite plain. Israel is told, “Because your guilt is great, because your sins are flagrant, I have done these things to you.” [Jeremiah 30:15] Their ungodly ways were flagrant in the days of Jeremiah as they were also in the days of Jesus.

Then the prophet’s vision changes “… all who prey on you I will make a prey. For I will restore health to you, and your wounds I will heal, declares the LORD, because they have called you an outcast: ‘It is Zion, for whom no one cares’ “ [Jeremiah 30:16-17], and ultimately; “and you shall be my people and I will be your God.” [Jeremiah 30:22]

However, notice the indications that the climax will be traumatic! “Alas! That day is so great there is none like it! It is a time of distress for Jacob (Israel) yet he shall be saved out of it.” [Jeremiah 30:7]. Are we about to see this happen now? Only then does “the fierce anger of the LORD … turn back.” [Jeremiah 30:24]

All this – and more – is remarkable in revealing “the intentions of his mind” that will be understood “in the latter days” by those who diligently read God’s Word.

But we must never miss the personal nature of the teaching of the Lord Jesus; yes, it is personal to each of us, far more than these prophecies are, imploring us to enter into and maintain a personal relationship with him – and as a result, when “the storm of the LORD … will burst upon the head of the wicked” [Jeremiah 30:23] those who “do his just commands, seek righteousness … may be hidden on the day of the anger of the LORD.” [Zephaniah 2:3] It is of no value to “understand” events in these “latter days” unless it has changed us personally so that we are responding to the call “Who is on the LORD’s side? Come to me” [Exodus 32:26]. This is a cry that has been made to every generation since Moses originally uttered these words.

-------

- DC

10 August 2012

1 Kings 4; 5

Jeremiah 31

Mark 5

"BREADTH OF MIND"

Let us grasp the sense of the phrase “breadth of mind” which occurs in our 1 Kings reading today. It is the result of God responding to King Solomon’s request for wisdom. We read “The LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night, and God said, ‘Ask what I shall give you’ “ [1 Kings 3:5]. He responds, “your servant is in the midst of your people… give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil …” [1 Kings 3:8-9]

In 1 Kings 4 we are told “and God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding beyond measure and breadth of mind like the sand on the seashore, so that Solomon’s wisdom surpassed the wisdom of all the people of the east …” [1 Kings 4:29-30] Furthermore “his fame was in all the surrounding nations. He also spoke 3,000 proverbs, and his songs were 1,005” [1 Kings 4:31-32]

What a contrast to the froth and bubble of the songs and sayings of today – also the tweeting and twittering of the thoughts of the moment of a multitude of minds!! If we seek to expand our mind, as we should, and develop genuine “breadth of mind” we must lay the foundation by reading the word of God every day. Some of it will be initially a struggle to ‘digest’ – but as we compare scripture with scripture, the lessons become increasingly clear and we sense we are developing “breadth of mind” in contrast to the narrowness of so much around us.

Timothy is told by Paul, “set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity … devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture …” [1 Timothy 4:12-13] No one owned their own copies of God’s word, so they assembled to hear them read – today when most have several copies of their own how much use do they really get?

In his 2nd letter Paul advised Timothy to “do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handing the word of truth. But avoid irreverent babble …” [2 Timothy 2:15-16]. That is equally ideal advice for us so that we can develop “breadth of mind” and turn away from irreverent spoken and written words of which our world is so full. So few are interested in presenting themselves before “God as one approved.” There is every reason why we all must make that our aim.

-------

- DC

11 August 2012

1 Kings 6

Jeremiah 32

Mark 6

"NOTHING IS TOO HARD FOR YOU"

The book of Jeremiah confuses us a little because it is not in chronological order. Today’s chapter, Jeremiah 32, starts by telling us the word of the LORD came to him “in the tenth year of Zedekiah” [Jeremiah 32:1] “At that time the army of the king of Babylon was besieging Jerusalem” [Jeremiah 32:2]. We do not know which month, but Jeremiah 39:2 tells us that “in the eleventh year of Zedekiah, in the fourth month” a breach was made in the walls and the Babylonians captured the city.

Today’s chapter is about a very critical time, Jeremiah is at times a mental ‘iron man’ because of his faith in God, but at times he falters.. “The word of the LORD came …” [Jeremiah 32:6] telling him his cousin was coming to him asking him to “Buy my field that is in Anathoth” and when his cousin comes, he remarks, “Then I knew that this was the word of the LORD.” After the transaction is finalised he “prayed to the LORD, saying ‘Ah, Lord GOD! It is you who has made the heavens and the earth by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you.” [Jeremiah 32:16-17]

Yet his faith is struggling as events get worse and “siege mounds have come up to the city to take it” [Jeremiah 32:24] and there is “famine and pestilence” and he asks, “Yet you O Lord GOD, have said to me, ‘Buy the field … though the city is given into the hands of the Chaldeans.” [Jeremiah 32:25]

Specially note the response from God! “Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me?” [Jeremiah 32:27] God is quoting back to Jeremiah his words that nothing was too hard for him. Jeremiah’s struggle with faith may be paralleled in the experiences of the faithful, our experiences, as the world that we are so familiar with falls apart; for, as we will read next week in Mark, Jesus forecast a time of “such tribulation as has not been since the beginning of creation … and if the Lord had not cut short the days, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect, whom he chose, he shortened the days” [Mark 13:19-20] This is described from the divine perspective of foreknowledge, as though it has already happened. [Romans 8:28-30]

Back in Jeremiah we see how our chapter concludes with the prophet receiving a heart stirring vision of the ultimate future for his people [Jeremiah 32:37-41] a future which will also embrace God’s people whom he has called out from among the Gentiles [Romans 9:24-26]. May we maintain our faith in God; may Jeremiah’s words be part of our prayer to our heavenly Father, “Nothing is too hard for you” uttered with increasing faith.

-------

- DC

12 August 2012

1 Kings 7

Jeremiah 33

Mark 7

“IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP”

How do we worship? What is worship? Unless we have a heartfelt awe of God there will be fundamental flaws in our worship. Our first aim must be to make sure we are approaching God and His Son in the way he desires. Our second aim should be to try to guide others to worship God in the way and spirit he is looking for – as the scriptures indicate in many places.

Our thoughts on this were prompted by our reading today in Mark 7. Jesus, is dismayed at the type of worship he saw and bluntly states that what was happening was ”in vain.” How tragic that any worship is in vain. One cannot totally blame the atheist and agnostic for turning their back on Christianity.

The major reason why we read the Bible every day is to get a right understanding of what God and his Son Jesus, require of us: we learn how they should be served and worshipped – it must be in a spirit of true humility.

In today’s chapter Jesus calls the Pharisees and Scribes “hypocrites” [Mark 7:6], that is, people who put on a false front. He quotes Isaiah to them, saying he prophesied about them, “This people honours me with their lips, but their heart is far from me, in vain do they worship me; teaching as doctrine the commandments of men.” [Mark 7:7]

How much worship today is pleasing to God? Only God knows, but the above quotation shows there are two aspects we must get right. Our attitude of heart, for worship is not just a ritual, it must genuinely reflect the desires we feel in our heart, desires which spring from our awe of God and our own sense of unworthiness. We cannot “earn” salvation by anything we do. Secondly that the things we believe and teach are true to God’s word.

Words we read a week ago in the last chapter of Romans spring to mind, “watch for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites …” [Romans 16:17-18] How human appetites have been poorly fed over the Centuries! Let us make sure our appetite is fed every day by the word of God, for his word will develop in us, if we are reading it in the right spirit, a true humility - and our worship will not be in vain.

-------

- DC

13 August 2012

1 Kings 8

Jeremiah 34

Mark 8

“YOU ONLY, KNOW THE HEARTS OF ALL”

The magnificent temple Solomon built was opened and dedicated. Consider the words Solomon used in addressing God! “Whatever prayer, whatever plea is made by any man or by all your people Israel, each knowing the affliction of his own heart and stretching out his hands toward this house, then hear in heaven your dwelling place and forgive and act and render to each whose heart you know, according to all his ways (for you, you only, know the hearts of all the children of mankind), that they may fear you all the days that they live …” [1 Kings 8:38-40] Does God “know” your heart? He must, he can give your life real meaning!

How can God “know the hearts of all”? Is this an exaggeration? During my lifetime clever human beings have discovered more of the ‘magic’ of making use of the ‘waves’ in the air that were discovered in the 19th Century: they can now transmit words and pictures around the world in an instant, the portraying of the Olympic Games is the latest example of this. The scientists of those earlier days were convinced there was a Great Creator. The scientist Faraday reasoned that God could not have created air and space with nothing in it! He, with other scientists of that age, experimented and discovered radio waves of varying frequencies.

Stop and think of the ‘power’ you tap into when you pick up a mobile phone and ring any one of countless millions of people in any country in the world within a minute or two – isn’t it telling you something? Isn’t it telling you to think carefully about what the Creator can do? Yes, he can “know” the hearts of all human beings!

We live in an age of wonders, but these should and must lead to us to wonder at – and be in awe of – the Creator. as to what we human beings, that God has created, can do – so should we not be ready to think of how God wants to be involved in our thinking and doing? Remember Paul’s words to the idol worshipping people of Athens. He told them about the One true God, saying, “In Him we live and move and have our being” [Acts 17:28] Think what those words mean!

Paul told them, “that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way toward him and find him … he is actually not far from each one of us.” [Acts 17:27] David starts in Psalm 139 with this remarkable observation! “O LORD, you have searched me and known me … you discern my thoughts from afar.” Awesome! We ignore God at our peril. Sadly nearly everyone does – make sure you are not among them.

-------

- DC

14 August 2012

1 Kings 9

Jeremiah 35

Mark 9

"THEY DID NOT UNDERSTAND"

Jesus said many things his disciples did not at first understand, it was only the events that followed that led to their understanding – and they are explained to them. This is part of the challenge in reading the Bible – our continuous reading should encourage us to read and search further and increase our understanding. By comparing Scriptures our minds open up to their fuller meaning. But our motives in this must spring from a contrite heart, we should never ‘boast’ about our understanding to others. If Scripture was all clearly understood on our first reading we would probably not feel so inclined to read it;, as it is, it is wonderful ‘food’ for thought every day.

Our chapter in Mark [Mark 9] starts with Jesus saying, “Truly I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God after it has come with power.” What does he mean? The meaning is revealed 6 days later when Jesus takes 3 of them “up a high mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them.” [Mark 9:2] He is the king, and a foretaste of his kingly glory is experienced.

Not only that - but “there appeared to them Moses and Elijah and they were talking with Jesus ….(the disciples) were terrified.” [Mark 9:4,6] So they saw a “vision” [Matthew 17:9] of future glory – and this would also have strengthened our Lord for the ordeal that lay ahead. We must not think of our Lord as some kind of ‘superman’. Hebrews 5:7-9 tells us how “Jesus offered up prayers and supplications with loud cries and tears …”

As they come down from the mountain Jesus tells them “to tell no-one what they had seen, until the son of man had risen from the dead.” [Mark 9:9]. They did not know “what this rising from the dead might mean” [Mark 9:10] He later said, “after three days he will rise.’ But they did not understand …” [Mark 9:32]. It is all very well to be wise after the event, but put yourself into the disciples shoes! Would we have been any better? We live at the climax of the ages, certain coming events are clearly stated, but how exactly they are going to unfold we cannot know – and if we think that we do, we are unwise.

The chapter ends with Jesus using symbolic language as to why some will not be in the kingdom. He says “for everyone will be salted with fire.” [Mark 9:49] Purified? The disciples are told, “Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another.” [Mark 9:50] On another occasion Jesus told the disciples, “You are the salt of the earth” [Matthew 5:13] A true relationship with God brings peace, but so few seem to have such a relationship today? The “salt of the earth” is now so diluted! Christ’s original message now has so little effect; the scene of faithlessness adds to our feeling that Christ is at the door, read Matthew 25:6-10.

-------

- DC

15 August 2012

1 Kings 10

Jeremiah 36

Mark 10

"WHAT THEREFORE GOD HAS JOINED TOGETHER"

A feature of our godless world is the minimising of the value of marriage. How few exchange vows that their union is taking place in the sight of God! Those who still do so must be fully conscious of the all-seeing, all-hearing and all-knowing presence of God; read Psalm 139.

After Jesus said that in marriage a man must “hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh,” Jesus added, “What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate” [Mark 10:8-9] His disciples were provoked to “ ask him again about this matter. And he said to them, ‘Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her, and if she divorces her husband and marries another; she commits adultery.” [Mark 10:10-12].

Adultery is an obsolete word today – as is the word ‘sin’ – we live in a world in which nearly everyone does what is right in his (or her) own eyes. Of course, we all do that – but what influences our eyes and heart in making decisions? Does God’s word have real influence on us? Remember Solomon’s proverb, “Every way of man (or woman) is right in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the heart” [Proverbs 21:2] The more we fill our minds with God’s word, the more conscious we are of what is lacking in our hearts – and try to change it.

The situation was desperate in Israel in the days of the prophet Joel. Note the text in Joel 2:12-13. “‘Yet even now’, declares the LORD … rend your hearts and not your garments’ Return to the LORD, your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love …”

Jesus was conscious of the children and it is they who also suffer in broken marriages – they will be the ‘next generation’ – and what is the next generation presently showing itself to be like!

Our chapter next tells us “they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, ‘Let the children come to me, do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.” [Mark 10:13-14] Think about the ingredients of a real marriage where both are convinced that God has brought them together; this means that both fully accept what Jesus says - that to “receive the kingdom” one must be child-like before God [Mark 10:15]. Are you making progress in receiving the kingdom?

-------

- DC

16 August 2012

1 Kings 11

Jeremiah 37

Mark 11

"HAVE FAITH IN GOD"

It is relatively easy to tell each other to “have faith in God” when there is no pressure on us and life is relatively peaceful; it can be much harder when the ‘storm clouds’ of trouble are looming all around us. Today we read of this happening to Jeremiah and to Jesus – and both knew what an awesome climax was coming.

We read of Jeremiah suffering his first imprisonment [Jeremiah 37] and telling the king and his officials, “Do not deceive yourselves.” [Jeremiah 37:9] We read of Jesus triumphantly entering Jerusalem. No doubt there was a keen sense of anticipation among at least some of his followers and the larger crowd: they had shouted, “Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David.” [Mark 11:10]

But the following day Jesus cursed the fig tree (representative of Israel) when he found nothing but leaves on it. [Mark 11:13-14] and then entered the temple and “overturned the tables of the moneychangers” [Mark 11:15] “Saying to them, ‘Is it not written ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations? But you have made it a den of robbers.’” [Mark 11:17]

The next morning they passed the fig tree and Peter said, “‘Rabbi look! The fig tree that you cursed has withered.’ And Jesus answered them, ‘Have faith in God …’” [Mark 11:21-22] How is that an answer?

When we say we have faith in God, we surely mean that we believe he is in control, we put our trust in him, we might not see the detail of the way ahead, but we have faith that God sees and knows all, and plans the way ahead for those who truly love him and live by Christ-like principles, so that, as Jesus told them [Mark 11:25] “whenever you stand praying forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”

In all the panic among the disciples following the arrest of Jesus, nearly all had “little faith”, only John was to stand by the cross to strength the mother of Jesus [John 19:27]. May we have real faith and trust in God as our world starts to fall apart as it most surely will – and help each other to keep strong and have real “faith in God.” Those who have already experienced some degree of this will be the stronger as a result and, as Mark 13:13 tells us, “the one who endures to the end will be saved.”

-------

- DC

17 August 2012

1 Kings 12

Jeremiah 38

Mark 12

"JEREMIAH SANK IN THE MUD"

Jeremiah’s tests of faith now reached new heights, but God had prepared him for this - just as he did with Abraham, for we recall his increasing tests of faith. The king’s officials had pressured the king, they said to him, “Let this man be put to death, for he is weakening the hands of the soldiers who are left in this city.” [Jeremiah 38:4] And the king said, “Behold he is in your hands, for the king can do nothing against you.” [Jeremiah 38:5] Sounds rather similar to the power of the people today, Govts do what the masses want.

“So they took Jeremiah and cast him into the cistern … letting Jeremiah down by ropes. And there was no water in the cistern, but only mud, and Jeremiah sank in the mud.” [Jeremiah 38:6] Help came from an unexpected quarter and undoubtedly it was the LORD’S doing. The Almighty had indicated to Jeremiah that he would be preserved when he caused him to buy the “field that is at Anathoth” [Jeremiah 32:7] so he knew there was a future for him. At that time Jeremiah prayed, “O great and mighty God, whose name is the LORD of hosts, great in counsel and mighty in deed, whose eyes are open to all the ways of the children of men, rewarding each according to his ways …” [Jeremiah 32:18-19]

The unexpected source of help for Jeremiah, was an Ethiopian! Ebed-melech by name, he “said to the king, these men have done evil in all they did to Jeremiah …” [Jeremiah 38:8] and as a result he “took …old rags and worn out clothes which he let down to the cistern by ropes” [Jeremiah 38:11] and with the help of 3 others Ebed-melech pulled him out, possibly at some personal risk. The chapter ends by telling us ‘Jeremiah remained in the court of the guard until the day that Jerusalem was taken.”

These events compare with the parable we read today in Mark 12 about the tenants in the vineyard and how they mistreated the owner’s servants. For example, “they struck one on the head …some they beat and some they killed” [Mark 12:4-5]. We wonder if some remembered the life of Jeremiah as Jesus told this Parable. So “what will the owner of the vineyard do?” [Mark 12:9] We know the answers! After that he “will give the vineyard to others.” [Mark 12:9] May we be among the others; let us daily seek his “counsel” and appreciate his grace and blessings.

-------

- DC

18 August 2012

1 Kings 13

Jeremiah 39

Mark 13

"FOR YOU DO NOT KNOW ..."

Today we have read the challenging text of Mark – his record of the words of Jesus [Mark 13] in what we usually call the ‘Olivet prophecy’. The disciples had been astonished by his prediction that the Temple they had just praised would be destroyed. Four of them “asked him privately ‘Tell us when will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are accomplished?” [Mark 13:3-4]

These are two different questions, they imagined they applied to the same event – but they were wrong. We can see which parts of the response of Jesus apply to the events 40 years later when the Romans destroyed Jerusalem and the Temple; we can see there is a double application of some of what he says.

The most important part for them and also for us is how we should personally behave up to the time of this awesome climax. Mark 13:9-18 primarily applies to them. Of special thought for us is Jesus words’, ”the gospel must first be proclaimed to all nations” [Mark 13:10] and we think the initial application is to its proclamation throughout the nation of Israel in those first 40 years. However, the proclamation throughout all the world is now just about complete!

The personal message cannot be over emphasized! “Be on your guard, keep awake for you do not know when the time will come … lest he come suddenly and find you asleep. And what I say to you I say to all: Stay awake.” [Mark 13:33,36,37] Daily Bible reading is an essential foundation to staying awake and fully developing our relationship with our Saviour. The time is surely coming when “he will send out the angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven” [Mark 13:27] (that is, under the heavens).

May we be awake and alert. Our reading will make us aware of the “false prophets” who will “lead astray, if possible, the elect. But be on your guard: I have told you all things beforehand.” [Mark 13:22-23] That is, all things that are needful for us to know, we neglect these “all things” at our peril.

-------

- DC

19 August 2012

1 Kings 14

Jeremiah 40

Mark 14

"… UNBEARABLE NEWS FOR YOU"

Have you heard of the prophet Ahijah? He plays a small but significant role during the reign of Solomon and also later. First, God sends him to Jeroboam, during Solomon’s reign, to tell him [1 Kings 11:29-39] that he would become king over most of Israel after Solomon’s death. God’s message to Jeroboam, via Ahijah was, “if you will listen to all I command you … I will be with you and will build you a sure house” [1 Kings 11:38]

Ahijah’s words came true and this should have influenced Jeroboam when he became king of the breakaway northern tribes of Israel after Solomon’s death. But he used human wisdom to try to ensure the people remained loyal to him. He feared that if they went up to the temple in Jerusalem to worship their loyalty to him would be undermined - to prevent this he set up two places of worship in the northern kingdom, where he made golden calves and said these were the gods that had brought them out of Egypt long ago. He also appointed priests who were not Levites to administer the sacrifices. Worse still he even offered sacrifices himself on the feast days [1 Kings 12:33]

We read yesterday [1 Kings 13:1] that “a man of God” came to prophecy against Jeroboam’s altar and said what was to happen here in the future [1 Kings 13:3]. Now Jeroboam’s son and heir fell sick and he knew it was no good going to any of his priests or local prophets so, we read today, he sent his wife, disguised, to see the prophet Ahijah.

The LORD told Ahijah she was coming and as she came in he cried out, “I am charged with unbearable news for you” [1 Kings 14:6]. The first part of the news was condemnation on Jeroboam and his descendants because of his failure to serve God in the right way: the second, that the child would die as she got home.

Surely we can see a parallel in these events with today. The present generation has become totally unfaithful to the word of God. Five hundred years ago, when the Bible was first printed and available to the great majority to read, it transformed the way many people thought and caused a reformation. If God sent a prophet today his message would be something like, “I am charged with unbearable news” for the whole earth. This makes us think about the kind of message we should give – especially our personal message to neighbours and workmates – maybe something like – this world is doomed – there is only one way to live and have an expectation of a future. By the will of God, there will be one here and one there that will not scoff – and “the seed” will take root.

-------

- DC

20 August 2012

1 Kings 15

Jeremiah 41

Mark 15

" ... STIRRED UP THE CROWD"

As we reflected on our Mark 15 reading we noted how the evil “chief priests stirred up the crowd to have him (Pilate) release for them Barabbas instead” of Jesus [Mark 15:11] The role of the “crowd” is often a significant factor in the course of events. We have read earlier in the book of Kings of the harmony and cohesion of the nation during the reigns of David and Solomon when, more than at any other time, the value of God-fearing kings who can exercise total control and whose word is Law, brought stability and peace to the nation.

Our 1 Kings reading [1 Kings 15] describes the chaos of life for 20 years after the death of Solomon until good king Asa came on the throne and reigned for 41 years. The northern kingdom never had a good king. Those in the north who sought to live under a good king moved south at that time. [2 Chronicles 15:9].

Our Jeremiah chapter [Jeremiah 41] describes the total chaos after Jerusalem is destroyed by the Babylonians – the man they left in charge, Gedaliah, is murdered. The experiences feed into Jeremiah’s mind leading him to write his ‘Lamentations’ which we will read in a couple of weeks. His godly mind was overwhelmed by all that happened.

Today we have situations which are the same in many ways; the “crowd” are “stirred up” to influence those in power or seeking power. Many leaders and aspiring leaders try to advantage of this. An incredible array of means are available for people to urge this or that course of action - compared to when we were young. We are awed by the prospect that someday, maybe soon, that (taking the “heavens” to represent the ruling powers) what we read in Mark 13 will occur; “the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.” [Mark 13:26-27]

As these events threaten to unfold – what must be the attitude and expectation in the minds of the truly faithful!? God’s kingdom is at the door; a far greater kingdom than that of David and Solomon, it will be world-wide. David’s Psalm for Solomon [Psalm 72] goes far beyond what happened in his son’s reign to become a prayer and vision of what his greater son will accomplish. In our Mark chapter. Pilate himself called Jesus “the king of the Jews” [Mark 15:9], but, Jesus said to him, “ my kingdom is not from the world” [John 18:36] God will appoint him, not man, and he will reign with God given power. We must not be “stirred up” by any human means – but through the zeal with which we read God’s word.

-------

- DC

21 August 2012

1 Kings 16

Jeremiah 42

Mark 16

“THE LORD YOUR GOD”

Jeremiah tells us that after all the more important people were taken away to Babylon those who remained in Judah were in disarray. The one the Babylonians had put in charge (Gedaliah) had been murdered and others also [Jeremiah 40:1-8]; the murderers fled to the Ammonites. [Jeremiah 40:15].

Today’s chapter [Jeremiah 42] tells us how the remaining people “from the least to the greatest, came near and said to Jeremiah the prophet. ‘Let our plea for mercy come before you, and pray to the LORD your God for us … that the LORD your God may show us the way we should go …’” [Jeremiah 42:1-3]

Notice they see the LORD as Jeremiah’s God – not as theirs! Jeremiah responds by saying to them, “I will pray to the LORD your God according to your request , and whatever the LORD answers you I will tell you. I will keep nothing back from you.” [Jeremiah 42:4]

“Then they said to Jeremiah, ‘May the LORD be a true and faithful witness against us if we do not act according to all the word with which the LORD your God sends you to us. Whether it is good or bad …” [Jeremiah 42:5-6] Then at last they accept the LORD as their God “that it may be well with us when we obey the voice of the LORD our God.” [Jeremiah 42:7]

Ten days later Jeremiah receives “the word of the LORD “ and “summoned … all the people from the least to the greatest.” [Jeremiah 42:8] The message is that if they remain in Judah, “then I will build you up … I will plant you… do not fear the king of Babylon … I will grant you mercy” [Jeremiah 42:10-12] He warns them that to go to Egypt will be a disaster!

Tomorrow’s chapter will start by telling us the sequel “when Jeremiah had finished speaking … all the insolent men said … ‘you are telling a lie …” [Jeremiah 43:1-2] and “all the people did not obey the voice of the LORD” [Jeremiah 43:4] Sadly we can make a comparison of this with the attitude of many to the Bible; so many look to try to find what they want to believe, like believing they go to heaven when the die to a kingdom in heaven and not on this earth – and turn away from those who tell them otherwise. The Bible is the source of all truth, let us read it ever more diligently and keep bringing its true message to others – even though they may say, “you are telling a lie.” We must do this because the LORD is our God.

-------

- DC

22 August 2012

1 Kings 17

Jeremiah 43

1 Corinthians 1; 2

“IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD”

Today we start reading the first letter to the Corinthians. There are many believers there; Paul had spent much time there and his letters to them total 29 chapters containing a great many lessons appropriate for us today. The return of the Lord was very much in his mind, but he had no idea when; he was ultimately to tell Timothy in his last letter of all that “I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness which the Lord … will award me on that day.” [2 Timothy 4:7-8]

His words to the Corinthians are a tremendous example of his efforts: for “the good fight” and “the race” is centred on helping others - in so doing we help ourselves. Our Lord is the outstanding example for us. We read today how Paul tells the believers that they are to “wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord.” [1 Corinthians 1:7-9]

God is faithful to those who are doing their best to be faithful to him, they develop a real “fellowship” with “his son, Jesus Christ our Lord.” But there is disharmony in Corinth and Paul’s appeal is for them to “be united in the same mind and the same judgement” [1 Corinthians 1:10] Sadly the failure to do this happens in every generation! It seems there have to be “foolish virgins”. It brings to mind John’s words in his epistle, “They went out from us, but they were not of us … that it might become plain that they all are not of us.” [1 John 2:19] To clearly see those who are “of us” we need to fill our minds with God’s word and we will see those who are truly faithful to what has been revealed. We not push out others – they end up going out of their own accord, but we may, by God’s grace, turn some around.

Christ sent him, he tells the Corinthians, to “preach the gospel not with words of eloquent (human) wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.” [1 Corinthians 2:17] As he told the Galatians, “God … preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham” [Galatians 3:8] and we come to see that God’s message to us begins in Genesis and goes through to Revelation.

We note how often Paul quotes from the Old Testament. 1 Corinthians 1:19 is an example (he quotes Isaiah 29:14) “It is written, ‘I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.” We live in a world today full of its own wisdom and “discerning”! But notice how Paul makes the point “God chose what is low and despised in the world … to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.” [1 Corinthians 2:28-29] God is everywhere present by his spirit (remember David’s Psalm 139 and Paul’s words on Mars Hill! Acts 17:27-28) In this age of iPad’s and iPhone’s, et cetera we see what “power” God has ‘put’ into the air!

Paul says, “among the mature we do impart wisdom, although it is not the wisdom of this age” [1 Corinthians 2:6] it is “a secret and hidden wisdom of God …” [1 Corinthians 2:7] The Bible reveals this more and more clearly as we diligently read – and as a result we sense more clearly “the presence of God” in our lives. Are you sensing this more and more clearly? As this world descends into chaos, it will be essential to have done this - as well as really knowing his word..

-------

- DC

23 August 2012

1 Kings 18

Jeremiah 44

1 Corinthians 3

" ... WILL DISCLOSE THE PURPOSES OF THE HEART"

How we respond to challenging events “will disclose the purposes of the heart” [1 Corinthians 4:5] and reveal to our Lord – and to ourselves - if we are honest with ourselves - the real purposes, the real objectives that dominate our minds. The Bible contains numerous examples of this and we read several today.

Elijah challenges Ahab and the prophets of Baal! They had served Baal for the fleshly benefits they believed they were getting. Yet there were those who remained faithful to the Almighty and Obadiah had hidden and fed a hundred in a cave “because he feared the Lord greatly” [1 Kings 18:3] Elijah had maintained a full conviction of faith – and even for him, his convictions faltered as we will read tomorrow – resulting in a valuable lesson.

Elijah challenged them all on Mt Carmel, “How long will you go limping between two different opinions?” [1 Kings 18:21] What a lot of such “limping” there is today! Opinions, but not convictions achieved by having real godly “purposes of the heart.”

Jeremiah in Egypt confronts those who have gone there, they also had “limped” between two different ways of thinking – and therefore of acting. They said to him, “We will surely perform our vows that we have made, to make offerings to the queen of heaven …” [Jeremiah 44:25] Their reasoning was that “since they left off making offerings to the queen of heaven … we have lacked everything …” [Jeremiah 44:18] This is another example of ‘limping’ between opinions – with no “purposes in the heart” other than seeing how their material needs could be satisfied.

In Paul’s words to the Corinthians we read, “I brothers could not address you as spiritual people, but as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ. I fed you with milk not solid food, for you were not ready for it. And even now you are not yet ready, for you are still of the flesh …” [1 Corinthians 3:1-3] How many of us are ready for the “solid food” of Scripture? Reflect on the context of our opening quotation – it is when “the Lord comes who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his (or her) commendation from God.” The Lord is just about at the door!

There is conflict in Corinth and Paul urges them “that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written …” [1 Corinthians 4:6] That is ideal advice for us too – and to behave accordingly – with conviction - having grown beyond being infants – also - not faltering between opinions- because, when “the Lord comes …” he “will disclose” all.

-------

- DC

24 August 2012

1 Kings 19

Jeremiah 45; 46

1 Corinthians 4; 5

“THEN HE WAS AFRAID”

Elijah showed he was a man of great faith when, on Mount Carmel, he challenged the prophets of Baal – idolized by the evil Queen Jezebel. Fire miraculously burnt up his offering and her 450 prophets were killed. Then three and a half years of drought came dramatically to an end! But after that he had a remarkable collapse of faith, he learnt he had incurred the extreme wrath of the evil Jezebel and her intention was to have him killed immediately.

We suspect that, after the remarkable climax of events on Mt Carmel he thought everything was going to be easier and his intense faith in God need no longer be exercised! But true faith needs constant exercising! Today’s chapter [1 Kings 19], starts with Jezebel declaring her intention to him to “make your life as the life of one of them (the 450 prophets) by this time tomorrow.” [1 Kings 19:2] The next verse simply says, “Then he was afraid”. He says to God, “It is enough now O LORD, take away my life for I am no better than my fathers.” [1 Kings 19:14]

The end result of this is that Elijah finds he has a relationship with God in a more personal way than ever before. First, food is miraculously provided for him and after 40 days (interesting that period, the same as Moses spent on the mountain with God) he comes to “Horeb, the mount of God” [1 Kings 19:8] himself. Here Moses had received the law.

He lodges in a cave [1 Kings 19:9] and there he experiences the awesome power of God. He thinks he is the only faithful person left in Israel but is told there are 7,000 who have not bowed the knee to worship Baal [1 Kings 19:18]. As he hides in the cave, the wind becomes strong enough to break the rocks; then an earthquake - and then a fire! Awesome; is not this potentially parallel to God’s judgements on the world at the end of this age when Jesus is about to come?

After all this he hears a whispering voice [1 Kings 19:11-12] so he stands in the entrance to the cave, it is the LORD’s voice and he receives new commands of the work he still has to do for the LORD.

So Elijah found God more fully and experienced a relationship with God of even greater measure. The lesson for us? If we are totally committed to serving God, he will never let us go. If things go wrong in our life, it is very likely a prelude to having a closer relationship with God and his Son in an even more intimate manner.

-------

- DC

25 August 2012

1 Kings 20

Jeremiah 47

1 Corinthians 6

"DO YOU NOT KNOW ... "

There are many things we do not know – but most of these “many things” are of no serious consequence. Paul addresses the Corinthians as to the things it is essential they understand – and the most challenging are his comments on their lack of spiritual perception of the reality of their relationship with things Divine. The believers in Corinth were on a steep learning curve - out from their pagan background – in both understanding the ways of God and how it must be reflected in their ways of living. The situations Paul addressed as problems at Corinth provide many lessons appropriate for us today.

He challenges them, “Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ?” [1 Corinthians 6:15] They had known this to some degree for he stresses what happened at their conversion, “ … you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.” [1 Corinthians 6:11] He also wrote, “Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived …” [1 Corinthians 6:9] But such is human nature that the power of self-deception is ever present – we can see it with so many of the churches teaching a largely ‘humanistic’ message – God’s word is rarely quoted – sometimes never.

The climax of Paul’s challenging words to them is in the last 2 verses, “… do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom (which) you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body” [1 Corinthians 6:19-20] - as well as in your mind – how you think and believe must be reflected in the way you behave – as the early part of the chapter tells us.

Our thinking must reflect both our heartfelt appreciation of the inspired word of God but also that we are “a temple of the Holy Spirit.” The Spirit possesses us – does this fact frighten us? Let us be honest and say ‘Yes!” So do we as a result shy away from acknowledging, at least to ourselves, that “in him we live and move and have our being”? [Acts 17:28] or as Paul puts it in our chapter today, “he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.” [1 Corinthians 6:17] At the end of Chapter 2 Paul said, at least of himself, “but we have the mind of Christ.” [1 Corinthians 2:16] His very last words to them in 2 Corinthians 13:14 states, “ …and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.” May we develop “the mind of Christ” and experience “the fellowship of the Holy Spirit” to an ever increasing degree.

-------

- DC