TFTBR - July 2012

Resource Manager

01 July 2012

1 Samuel 13

Isaiah 56; 57

Revelation 21; 22

“AFTER HIS OWN HEART”

Samuel said to Saul, “You have done foolishly … your kingdom shall not continue. The LORD has sought out a man after his own heart.” [1 Samuel 13:13-14]. Saul was in trouble, he was in a hopeless military position, the prophet Samuel had come a day later (maybe only hours later) than had been arranged, so Saul foolishly offered sacrifices himself. Although he had been victorious over the Ammonites – with God’s help – but he feared the Philistines, but did not seek God’s help, his perception of what God requires was far too limited.

But what intrigues us is the reference to God having a heart. Can we grasp the concept of this? In the last verse of the previous chapter we read Samuel’s farewell message to the people, “Only fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you. But if you still do wickedly, you shall be swept away, both you and your king.” It seems to us that “heart” in a sense means, a committed attitude of mind, our way of thinking. In the New Testament we would say “faith”- the conviction which leads to our course of action. It is not easy to apply this definition to God as he is so totally high above us.

The man that God found, that was after his own heart, was to write of God, “How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! … Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting” [Psalm 139:17,23,24].

David’s attitude was the attitude God was seeking. Probably at this point in time he was a lad looking after his father’s sheep in the wilderness and we will read in 4 day’s time that the attitude and confidence before God that he had developed and perfected in killing the wild animals that tried to take the sheep gave him the confidence to go against Goliath, “for he has defied the armies of the living God.” [1 Samuel 17:36] David had a vision of the “power” God can give that was far greater than Saul’s – and a greater vision than the army itself had, but despite this, they were still God’s armies. And are you God’s son or daughter? Or want to be be?

Today’s chapter in Isaiah reveals the principle upon which God works in looking into the hearts of human beings. “Thus says the one who is high and lifted up who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy” – and then come the wonderful words - “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit to revive the spirit of the lowly …” [isaiah 57:15-16].

David experienced this most particularly after his sin with Bathsheba; he was grief stricken that he might lose his contact with God. We read “Cast me not away from your presence … restore to me the joy of your salvation.” [Psalm 51:11-12]. The last 2 chapters in the Bible, our final reading for today, are about the ultimate joy when “death shall be no more … for former things have passed away ” [Revelation 21:4] Only those whose hearts are “after his own heart” will be alive, “those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life.” [Revelation 21:27].

-------

- DC

02 July 2012

1 Samuel 14

Isaiah 58

Matthew 1; 2

“AS IF THEY WERE A NATION THAT DID RIGHTEOUSNESS”

Fasting means abstaining; deliberately depriving yourself of something, usually food, as an act of submissive worship. Jesus criticised the religious leaders who “disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others,” deliberately making themselves “look gloomy” [Matthew 6:16]. Jesus classes them as “hypocrites”.

What provoked our thoughts on this was the message that God gave through Isaiah in the chapter we read today.. The prophet is told to “declare to my people their transgressions” [isaiah 58:1]. The Almighty observed that “they seek me daily and delight to know my ways as if they were a nation that did righteousness” [isaiah 58:2]. The people question why God was not responding to such worship with blessings, asking “Why have we fasted, and you see it not? Why have we humbled ourselves and you take no knowledge of it?” [isaiah 58:3]

The answer is in the next verse, “Behold, in the day of your fast you seek your own pleasure.” It was a ritual they went through, their attitude and motive was entirely wrong. It did not change their ungodly behaviour, “you fast only to quarrel and fight,” [isaiah 58:4] was the message.

Does our participation in acts of worship and studies together of God’s word have a good effect on our behaviour? Is such participation totally genuine – from our hearts? It is important to see how Isaiah records that God is looking for other kinds of fasting, ones that are praiseworthy as he observes them being practiced.

These are the significant words. “Is this not the fast that I choose: to loose (abstain from) the bonds of wickedness … Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house … ” [isaiah 58:6-7] If you do these sort of things, this sort of fasting, abstaining/depriving yourself so that you can help others in need; then “the LORD will guide you continually … and you will be like a watered garden” [isaiah 58:11] How world has become a spiritual desert, it has no time for “the water of life” [Revelation 21:6] as we read yesterday. How much is this affecting you?

-------

- DC

03 July 2012

1 Samuel 15

Isaiah 59

Matthew 3; 4

" ...LED UP BY THE SPIRIT ... TO BE TEMPTED BY THE DEVIL"

Our Matthew reading brings us to the strange account of the temptation of Jesus by the devil. The first point to note is that “Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.” [Matthew 4:1] This shows us that it was God’s Spirit that “led” him to a place of temptation away from human inhabitation and 40 days elapsed before “the tempter came” [Matthew 4:3].

The whole account has a sense of unreality. Did Jesus go literally from the wilderness to the Temple in Jerusalem and climb literally to its pinnacle? [Matthew 4:5] Did he go to some very high mountain where he could see “all the kingdoms of the world and their glory” [Matthew 4:8]. No such mountain exists.

Another question – at the time this occurred Jesus had not yet called any disciples, so how did Matthew know to write out this account of his Master’s temptation? Now to seek some answers.

Seeing that Jesus taught so often in parables, some of which could not have been literal, e.g. the Rich Man and Lazarus, we conclude that this account is in the form of a parable that he told his disciples. Notice the main point that is common to each of the temptations: it is that Jesus refuted them by saying “It is written …” [Matthew 4:4,7,10]. This illustrates the point David makes in Psalm 119, “I have stored up your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” [Psalm 119:11] We also recall what James wrote, “each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire” [James 1:14] and if we allow this to dominate our thinking then “when it is folly grown (it) brings forth death.” [James 1:15]

So, before he started his ministry, Jesus was tested by being “led up by the Spirit.” Note how Luke, in his record of Christ’s temptation says that after the temptations the “devil departed from him until an opportune time” [Luke 4:13]! An example of such a time is in John 6 Jesus became so popular after feeding the 5,000 that “the people … said, ‘This is indeed the prophet who is to come .... perceiving then that they were about to come and take him by force to make him king, Jesus withdrew again to the mountain by himself.” [John 6:14-15]

This was a repeat of his first temptation in the wilderness, which was in effect, to immediately use his unlimited power to become king and bring great good into the world – but this would be doing the right thing the wrong way! We have to live our lives God’s way! This is why true believers do not involve themselves in the politics of this world.

We also see the reason why Jesus “said to Peter ‘Get behind me Satan!’” [Matthew 16:23] when Peter objected to his words that he was going to suffer and be killed. It was not the personal will of Jesus to die, see Matthew 26:39. Temptation and testing comes from others as well as from our hearts, Believers in some countries today appreciate what Peter meant when he wrote, “your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion.” [1 Peter 5:8] Let us fully grasp James’ point, “Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and he will draw near to you” [James 4:7-8] Let us all draw near to God every day; Bible reading and meditation is an essential part of doing that.

-------

- DC

04 July 2012

1 Samuel 16

Isaiah 60

Matthew 5

"IN IT'S TIME, I WILL HASTEN IT"

We have a remarkable chapter in Isaiah today; a number of its verses reflect some in the final chapters in Revelation that we read a few days ago. They picture the ultimate time to come when the perfect age is reached and the whole world becomes a garden of Eden populated by perfected people. This is what God intended from the beginning of creation with Jerusalem as the centre of worship,

In Isaiah we read “ … they shall call you the City of the LORD, the Zion of the Holy One of Israel … I will make you majestic forever, a joy from age to age.” [isaiah 60:14-15] Isaiah 60:19 also anticipates what is portrayed in Revelation 21, “The sun shall no more be your light by day, nor for brightness shall the moon give you light, but the LORD will be your everlasting light …” [Revelation 21:22-27].

Isaiah’s chapter ends with the words. “I am the LORD; in its time I will hasten it.” This is reflected in the use of the word “quickly” in Revelation, it occurs 3 times in its last chapter. The leaders in the world today have been increasingly uncertain about the future. Many nations are in trouble: the physical nature of the earth is equally worrying them, ‘climate change’ cannot be halted. But, in particular, and this is what they are not concerned about, the spiritual darkness has become intense. Note the 2nd verse of our Isaiah chapter, “ … behold, darkness shall cover the earth, and thick darkness the peoples; but the LORD will arise …” [isaiah 60:2]

In Matthew’s Gospel we read the remarkable 5th chapter! But note first that Jesus is not teaching the “great crowds (that) follow him” (last verse of Matthew 4) but, “seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain and when he sat down his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them …” [Matthew 5:1-2] All of us who believe we are genuine disciples, or aim to be, must see this teaching as personally addressed to us.

“Blessed are the meek (gentle), for they shall inherit the earth. (not heaven) Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful for they shall receive mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.” [Matthew 5:5-8] The Gk word for ‘pure’ is elsewhere in Matthew translated as ‘clean’ [Matthew 23:26; 27:59]. Are you cleansing your heart? Read Ephesians 5:26. But as well as cleansing, being meek, thirsting for righteousness and merciful, we must also remember Jesus said, “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons (and daughters) of your father who is in heaven.” [Matthew 5:44-45]

-------

- DC

05 July 2012

1 Samuel 17

Isaiah 61

Matthew 6

"BUT SEEK YE FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD"

What are our priorities in life? Do we only find time to think about and do anything in the service of God and our Saviour Jesus in our spare time? Of course, Sunday’s would be at least partly an exception.

Matthew 6, which we read today, has many challenging words from Jesus. It’s final verses see Jesus challenging his disciples, “ … O you of little faith … do not be anxious saying ‘What shall we eat? Or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious …” [Matthew 6:30-34]

How do we “seek first the kingdom’? By giving it priority in our thinking! So many who say they believe in the God of the Bible believe there is an eternal future for them in heaven! Such are ‘blind’ to the meaning of the words of the Lord’s prayer which is also in today’s chapter [Matthew 6:9-13] which Jesus taught his disciples “ … your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” So many who say these words are ‘blind’ to what these words mean.

In watching the Diamond Anniversary of the Queen’s reign recently we saw St. Paul’s Cathedral full of people - all saying this prayer and wondered how many understood what they were praying for. It is still used in the opening of our Parliament. Again we wondered – but, the far greater need is to ask ourselves what the ‘sermon’ that Jesus gave to his disciples means to us? Do we “seek … his righteousness?”

Jesus tells them 6 times in 10 verses [Matthew 6:25-34] not to be “anxious” (AV ‘take no thought’). We live in a world that is full of worrying thoughts about the future, anxieties are increasing. Our faith must be genuine; we must think through each day’s troubles, true faith will see them disappear like steam, if we are constant in our relationship with Jesus.

Today’s chapter ends, “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow … Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” David’s Psalms are wonderful examples, as you read them note how many start as a prayer for help and end up with praise to God. Psalm 35 is a good example. “Contend O LORD, with those who content with me … rise for my help” [Psalm 35:1-2] – climaxing with the words, “ ‘Great is the LORD, who delights in the welfare of his servant!’ Then my tongue shall tell of your righteousness and of your praise all the day long.” [Psalm 35:27-28] May we be able to echo David’s words. Today’s chapter [1 Samuel 17] illustrates the supreme conviction of his mind as he went to confront Goliath. If we should be confronted by any ‘Goliath’s’ may his actions and words inspire us.

-------

- DC

06 July 2012

1 Samuel 18

Isaiah 62

Matthew 7

"THE GATE IS NARROW"

Today we completed reading the 3 chapters in Matthew [Matthew 5; 6; 7] which comprise what we call ‘The Sermon on the Mount.’ Today’s chapter is full of challenging precepts as to the way we should live our lives. Matthew 7:1-5 are a warning about being hypocritical; how readily we human beings can see the faults in others and yet be blind to greater faults in ourselves.

Matthew 7:6 has caused much discussion, how do we apply it? Jesus said, “Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.” We notice that Jesus did not attempt to teach the religious leaders; instead he called them hypocrites, see Matthew 15:7 and Matthew 16:3, and this we can accept as an indication of the kind of people he meant.

There are several other examples of their attacks on him, and for those whose aim is to faithfully follow in their Master’s footsteps (see Peter’s words in 1 Peter 2:21-25) there will be some, similar experiences. We note that in Matthew 10, where the 12 are named [Matthew 10:2-4] that one of the things he says to them is, “It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household.” [Matthew 10:25]

These, with many other examples, illustrate the challenges those who genuinely follow Jesus and practice his precepts face as they walk the “narrow path”. Matthew 7:13-14, today’s chapter sum it up, “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.”

But it must be said, for most of the last generation or two, at least in the ‘western’ world, the path has not seemed so narrow and challenging. This is because our society has become so tolerant of nearly every style of living, so broadminded and permissive. But, this atmosphere is so spiritually poisonous that those who are treading the narrow way must be more on their guard than ever!

Finally, note Matthew 7:21, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord’ will enter the kingdom … but the one who does the will of my Father … on that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophecy (preach) in your name … I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ They left the narrow way to create their own, maybe thinking it was better! The true path is less and less evident in the increasing darkness of this world – an essential reason for reading God’s words ever more diligently.

-------

- DC

07 July 2012

1 Samuel 19

Isaiah 63

Matthew 8

"THE ABUNDANCE OF HIS STEADFAST LOVE"

Isaiah writes, “I will recount the steadfast love of the LORD, the praises of the LORD, according to all that the LORD has granted us … [isaiah 63:7] It is good as well as necessary that we think positively about the attitude of God to his creation. We can – and must – sometimes think of his anger with the constant failures of his chosen people Israel. However, at the same time we balance this in seeing his times of great mercy despite their sinfulness.

We have read in Samuel of his acceptance of their demands to have a king to be like other nations. We now see events unfolding to produce the inspirational person of David a “man after God’s own heart.” These things, writes Paul were “written in former days … for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” [Romans 15:4]

God’s “great goodness” is “according to his compassion, according to the abundance of his steadfast love,” writes Isaiah [isaiah 63:7] Compassion is a wonderful part of that love. But then Isaiah comments on the times when the people “rebelled and grieved his Holy Spirit: therefore he turned to be their enemy” [isaiah 63:10]

God’s spirit is ever present on this earth. Solomon, in his God given wisdom perceived that “a man’s ways are before the eyes of the LORD, and he ponders all his paths.” [Proverbs 5:21]. God’s prophets experienced times of despair as they saw the godlessness of most of the people. Isaiah concludes today’s chapter on a despairing note, “we have become like those over whom you have never ruled, like those who are not called by your name.” This country, like others, has become like this, the churches no longer make any meaningful stand against the flood of ungodliness, many are nearly empty.

As a result, the day is getting nearer when earlier verses in the chapter will have their ultimate application at the return of Christ, when, acting for God he will say, “I have trodden the winepress alone … I trod them in my anger … for the day of vengeance was in my heart …” [isaiah 63:3-4] As we will soon see the world around us in these last days experiencing this - let us remember “the abundance of his steadfast love” [isaiah 63:7] and that “in all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them” [isaiah 63:9] Let us so keep our minds on the Lord that we are among the elect “his angels … will gather” [Matthew 24:31] on God’s ultimate “day of vengeance.”

-------

- DC

08 July 2012

1 Samuel 20

Isaiah 64

Matthew 9

“MAKE YOUR NAME KNOWN”

The word ‘name’ is often used in Scripture in the sense of reputation. We use it that way too: someone has a ‘bad name’ or a ‘good name.’ As we complete reading the prophecies of Isaiah in the next couple of days we see references to God’s name in this sense; that his ‘reputation’ has been forgotten, his people no longer believe in him. The prophet agonises over a vision of the time coming when “our adversaries have trampled down your sanctuary. We have become like those over whom you have never ruled, like those who are not called by your name” [isaiah 63:18-19]. The portents were obviously plain in his lifetime; we can relate to this in our own experience.

Israel, is God’s nation, the word ‘Israel’ meaning ‘ruling with God’ (Youngs). They are expected to be an example before other nations to enhance the reputation of the true God they serve – as had happened during the reigns of David and Solomon. Notice how Isaiah states that God “made for himself an everlasting name” [isaiah 63:12] and “a glorious name” [isaiah 63:14] as a result of the miraculous deliverance from Egypt. In the prophet’s time that reputation had been badly tarnished, but will not God act again to make his name, his reputation, known! We know him will!

Isaiah 64 starts with a prayer, a petition to God, “Oh that you would rend the heavens and come down … to make your name known to your adversaries, and that the nations might tremble at your presence!” [isaiah 64:1-2] Then he writes of personal relationships with God, words which should specially interest us. “You meet him who joyfully works righteousness, those who remember you and your ways” [isaiah 64:5]. Think about those words and whether we can say, ‘This is the attitude of mind God can see in me’

Isaiah identifies himself as a member of God’s nation and writes, “Behold you were angry and we sinned; in our sins we have been a long time, and shall we be saved?” [isaiah 64:5] Should we also ask that today? Isaiah continues, “There is no one who calls upon your name … you have hidden your face from us” [isaiah 64:7] Then comes the final plea, “Be not so terribly angry, O LORD, and remember not iniquity for ever. Behold please look, we are all your people … Our holy and beautiful house (the Temple) where our fathers praised you has been burned with fire …” [isaiah 64:9,11] In tomorrow’s chapter we will see God’s wonderful answer!

-------

- DC

09 July 2012

1 Samuel 21; 22

Isaiah 65

Matthew 10

“THIS IS THE ONE TO WHOM I WILL LOOK”

Today and tomorrow we read the final 2 chapters of Isaiah. God expresses through the prophet his lament for those who turn away from him, those who “insulted me” - to whom he says, “do not come near me, for I am too holy for you” [isaiah 65:5,7]

In contrast his true servants “shall sing for gladness of heart” and “his servants he will call by another name … (and he) shall bless himself by the God of truth … because the former troubles are forgotten … for behold I create new heavens and a new earth” [isaiah 65:14-17]. This will be “for my people who have sought me” [isaiah 65:10].

This is the vital question for all people – do they seek God or not – do they see him as the God of truth? Isaiah is writing for his people, the Jews, but those words also apply to everyone, for when Jesus came and died his sacrifice was for people of all nations. His final words to his disciples at the end of Matthew’s gospel are, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptising them … teaching them to observe all I have commanded you.

Consider more of what God said through Isaiah, “the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind. But be glad and rejoice forever …” [isaiah 65:17-18] Nature itself will be changed, “The wolf and the lamb shall graze together; the lion shall eat straw like the ox … they shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, says the LORD” [isaiah 65:25-26].

In Isaiah 66 these words jump out at us! “… this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.” [isaiah 66:2] That reminds us of how Jesus started his ‘Sermon on the mount’ – “Blessed are the poor (lowly) in spirit (attitude of mind)”

Let us aim to be among those to whom God “will look”? Whether we will be part of the wondrous time we are reading about depends on our attitude and convictions now. Our last quote is from Isaiah 66:14 of this final chapter, “You shall see, and your heart shall rejoice … the hand of the LORD shall be known to his servants …” Let us set our minds on God and his son every day and make each day count in service before them.

-------

- DC

10 July 2012

1 Samuel 23

Isaiah 66

Matthew 11

"AND ANYONE TO WHOM ..."

Our chapter in Matthew [Matthew 11] makes it clear that the teaching of Jesus was a tremendous challenge as he continued his ministry. “Jesus went on from there to teach and preach in their cities” [Matthew 11:1] It is not difficult to imagine the great discussions and debate that took place; the condemnation of the religious leaders adding to the confusion. Jesus challenges them; “concerning John: ‘What did you go out into the wilderness to see?” [Matthew 11:7] and describes John as “more than a prophet.” [Matthew 11:9]

We are intrigued by his questions (from Matthew 11:16) “ … to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market place and calling to their playmates, ‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.’” This is parallel to the complaints we read some weeks ago in Isaiah (see Isaiah 5:11-12) where people lived in this way, “but they do not regard the deeds of the LORD.” Many do not ‘mourn’ today as they used to – instead they focus on ‘celebrating’ a life, but they have no hope beyond that ‘life.’

Jesus then challenges those who are belittling John the Baptist, some saying “He has a demon” [Matthew 11:18] and the slander about himself, that he is “a glutton and a drunkard” [Matthew 11:19] And so it has been ever since; what people refuse to accept because it does not fit in with their view on life, leads them to make all kinds of disparaging statements. This same tactic is seen in statements made today about the Bible, such people, if they read it at all, only do so to look for things they think they are justified in scoffing at.

From Matthew 11:25-27 we have a special prayer of Jesus to his Father. “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding (see 1 Corinthians 1:19-21) and revealed them to little children; yes, Father for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”

When Jesus says, “no one knows the Father except …” he means – has a relationship with him, founded on having a meaningful prayer life that is further fed by daily reading and meditation on his word. Do you think you are the sort of person to whom Jesus chooses to reveal the Father? If so, read the last 3 verses of this chapter. These start, “Come unto me, all who labour and are heavy laden and I will give you …” [Matthew 11:28-30]

-------

- DC

11 July 2012

1 Samuel 24

Jeremiah 1

Matthew 12

"FOR EVERY CARELESS WORD THAT THEY SPEAK"

Jesus says many things that are very challenging, but few are more challenging than those we read today in Matthew 12:36, “I tell you, on the day of judgement people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

What is a careless word? Jesus had just challenged the Pharisees [Matthew 12:24] who had slandered him. They heard the people asking, “Can this be the Son of David?” after they saw Jesus heal a man who was blind and mute [Matthew 12:22]. But the Pharisees had slandered him saying it must be by a some evil power that he cured people. Jesus then draws a parallel between humans and trees saying a “tree is known by its fruit” [Matthew 12:33] and so are humans, “for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out his good treasure brings forth good …” [Matthew 12:34-35] It is by reading the word of God that we have “good treasure” to bring forth from our hearts.

Our reading in 1 Samuel 24 shows the contrast between the hearts of King Saul and David. David has had an opportunity to kill Saul in the cave, but he only cut off the corner of Saul’s robe [1 Samuel 24:5]. When David followed him out of the cave and made known to Saul what had happened, Saul acknowledges “you are more righteous than I … behold I know that you shall surely be king” [1 Samuel 24:17, 20] But acknowledging this did not change Saul’s heart, 1 Samuel 26 tells us how Saul hunted for David again.

This is an example of the person God ceases to help, Paul put’s in very succinctly in Romans 1:28-29, “And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness …”

We read recently in Isaiah that God says “my word… that goes out from my mouth … shall not return to me empty” [isaiah 55:11] Do we utter careless empty words – or do we keep our word? Let us not give our word carelessly or thoughtlessly, for in the day of judgement…!

We profess our faith, giving our word, when we are baptised. We make our vows before God when we are married: both are ongoing commitments. Our Matthew chapter ends by telling us how we can be related to Christ who says, “… whoever does the will of my Father in heaven, is my brother and sister and mother” – how wonderful, let us live in ways that show our appreciation of that wonder.

-------

- DC

12 July 2012

1 Samuel 25

Jeremiah 2

Matthew 13

"THE FOUNTAIN OF LIVING WATERS"

“Living Waters”? They are the opposite to stagnant water, they are fresh and pure. This phrase symbolizes a mind fed by healthy godly ways of thinking. We have just started reading the prophet Jeremiah and so much which God causes him to write is appropriate for the world of the 21st Century. He was the prophet who had the difficult task of bringing messages of condemnation from God as the kingdom, established in its spiritual greatness under David and Solomon, was in its death throes.

God, speaking through the prophet says that they “defiled my land and made my heritage an abomination” [Jeremiah 2:7] and, “the shepherds (spiritual leaders) transgressed against me … and went after things that do not profit.” [v.8] Interesting that word ‘profit’! These days we usually think of it in connection with money, but God looks to us to see what ‘spiritual profit’ we have gained; he goes on to say, “Has a nation changed its gods, even though they are no gods? But my people have changed their glory for that which does not profit.” [Jeremiah 2:11]

So Israel had given in to temptation and changed their worship to serve the “no gods” of the heathen nations because this was enjoyable in a fleshly way – so God tells Jeremiah “my people have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters” [Jeremiah 2:13] The fountain is the source! As a result the nation was soon to experience disaster.

The days of Jesus were parallel, again the nation was facing disaster. So few heeded his words when he said, “Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty forever. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” [John 4:14] Their leaders were interested in the wrong kind of profit and disaster came on the nation.

But the message of the true “living waters” has been in the world ever since – and where would the world have been without the influence of the message of Christ? It has been like “salt” giving a measure of good flavour to life in the world! But now it has “lost its taste” and the warnings of God through Jeremiah are very appropriate today. As best we can, we must be “the salt of the earth” [Matthew 5:13] and drink from “the fountain of living waters” every day.

-------

- DC

13 July 2012

1 Samuel 26; 27

Jeremiah 3

Matthew 14

“… NO MORE STUBBORNLY FOLLOW THEIR OWN EVIL HEART”

As we read more of the remarkable testimony of Jeremiah whom God called to give his message during the final years of Jerusalem before it was destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar. We come across some remarkable, but brief glimpses of the ultimate future time of glory. In today’s chapter we read, “At that time Jerusalem shall be called the throne of the LORD, and all nations shall gather together to it, to the presence of the LORD in Jerusalem, and they shall no more stubbornly follow their own evil heart.” [Jeremiah 3:17] Those seeking God with a genuine heart were encouraged by this prospect, as we are today.

So much of what we read in Jeremiah has parallels with attitudes today as we live in the final years of human control of this earth. But Jeremiah began his life in good circumstances, he was born to be a priest and the word of the LORD first came to him in the reign of Judah’s last good king, Josiah, “in the thirteenth year of his reign” [Jeremiah 1:2].

We learn in 2 Kings 22, that Josiah initiated the repairing of the Temple [2 Kings 22:5] and it was reported to him by the High Priest that “I have found the Book of the Law in the house of the LORD.” [2 Kings 22:8] and the rest of the chapter and the next describes the dramatic story of the reformation the King then initiated. In the eighteenth year of his reign a great “Passover was kept to the LORD in Jerusalem” [2 Kings 23:23] It was a dramatic start to the life of Jeremiah in his youth, it compares just a little with our teenage years and the dramatic re-establishment of Israel as a nation after nearly 1900 years in oblivion. But how ungodliness has grown in the world since them!.

In Jeremiah 1 we read how he says to God when he is first called, “Ah Lord GOD! I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” [Jeremiah 1:6] The LORD responds, “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’; for to all to whom I send you, you shall go … Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the LORD” [Jeremiah 1:7-8]

Josiah is killed just 13 years after this Passover; from then on, Jeremiah lives and preaches in many hostile circumstances right through to the destruction of Jerusalem – and afterwards. But first God granted him 18 years of “peace” to gain strength under the reign of a good king. His life and his distress at the godlessness surrounding him has many parallels to today in which, like in Jeremiah’s time, people “refuse to be ashamed” [Jeremiah 3:3]. Today, the broad way that leads to destruction has never been more evident, real strength and conviction is needed to stay on the narrow path. Jeremiah can be our role model.

-------

- DC

14 July 2012

1 Samuel 28

Jeremiah 4

Matthew 15

“EXPLAIN THE PARABLE TO US”

But it did not seem like a parable! All Jesus had said when he “called the people to him” was, “Hear and understand: it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what goes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” [Matthew 15:11]

It was because “the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying” [Matthew 15:12] that Peter asked, apparently urgently, for an explanation. The Pharisees it seems had got the point, he had quoted Isaiah to them, “This people honours me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.” [Matthew 15:8] Jesus is referring to spiritual defilement, how the mind of a person becomes defiled – today we would say, dirty! Jesus, in explaining the parable, said, “what comes out of the heart, this defiles a person” [Matthew 15:19]. The Pharisees concentrated on the ritual of physical cleansing and the outward evidence of words and actions. The focus was on the ceremonial washing of hands, just like the Muslims do today with places outside each Mosque for washing hands and feet before they enter.

The message today in Jeremiah is exactly the same. Jeremiah tells the people, “O Jerusalem, wash your hearts from evil that you may be saved. How long shall your wicked thoughts lodge within you?” [Jeremiah 4:14]. Those thoughts of the heart that defiled them continued to lodge within them so the disaster God threatened finally happened. He does not mean ‘passing’ thoughts that we push out of our minds. But what do we let our minds and our eyes feed upon?

We live in a world today where ungodly attitudes are uttered and ways of living are displayed again and again on TV and DVDs and in the cinemas and written in books. And the majority of people “love to have it so”, which is the complaint Jeremiah makes in tomorrow’s reading [Jeremiah 5:31] – and then adds the question, “but what will you do when the end comes?”

That’s just the question we should also ask today! He has a vision of what is coming and exclaims, “My anguish, my anguish! I writhe in pain! Oh the walls of my heart! My heart is beating wildly … Crash follows hard on crash …” [Jeremiah 4:19-20] Then God comments, “my people are foolish; they know me not; they are stupid children; they have no understanding. They are ‘wise’ in doing evil! But how to do good they know not” [Jeremiah 4:22] Let us make sure we see the point of the parable – and be clean within – then God will take care of us “when the end comes.”

-------

- DC

15 July 2012

1 Samuel 29; 30

Jeremiah 5

Matthew 16

“MY PEOPLE LOVE TO HAVE IT SO”

We quoted these words at the end of our thoughts yesterday. They were the words of God to Jeremiah. What was it that God’s people loved to have in a certain way? God said, “An appalling and horrible thing has happened in the land; the people prophecy falsely and the priests rule at their direction; my people love to have it so” [Jeremiah 5:30-31]

Why would the people love to have it this way? In earlier verses we read more of God’s complaints about the attitude that had developed among his people, “They do not say in their hearts, ‘Let us fear the LORD our God.’” [Jeremiah 5:24] They had not appreciated that he provided the “rain in its season, the autumn rain and the spring rain.” God further says, “their houses are full of deceit; therefore they have become great and rich” [Jeremiah 5:27]. That is, they had gained their riches through exploiting others.

There are so many parallels with similar attitudes in this 21st Century. Human nature has not changed in 2500 years! So often wealth is built up by clever dealing, manipulating the stock market, so that trading is often no more than gambling, so much “wealth” today is not the result of honest labour.

There is no fear, that is, no awe of God, the great Creator. Worse still, as we quoted above, “the priests rule at their direction” many who parade themselves as being in the service of God bring a false message to those who hear them, such as ‘your loved ones are still alive, they are in heaven looking down on you. They also say, God is totally a God of love, he always forgives however you live your life – once you are saved you are always saved!

Jeremiah laments about those who “have spoken falsely of the LORD and have said, ‘He will do nothing; no disaster will come upon us… ” [Jeremiah 5:12]. In a later chapter Jeremiah says, “the LORD is with me as a dread warrior, therefore my persecutors will stumble … O LORD of hosts, who tests the righteous, who sees the heart and mind … to you I have committed my cause. Sing to the LORD; sing praise to the LORD! For he has delivered the life of the needy from the hand of the evildoers.” [Jeremiah 20:11-13] May we have the same spirit as Jeremiah.

-------

- DC

16 July 2012

1 Samuel 31

Jeremiah 6

Matthew 17

"RISE, AND HAVE NO FEAR"

What must it have been like to be one of the disciples of Jesus! The unexpected was always happening – and sometimes it was way beyond human experience. The end of yesterday’s chapter in Matthew 16 has a strange statement by Jesus, “Truly, I say unto you there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom”

Today’s chapter shows Jesus was referring to an experience about to happen to Peter, James and John when he “led them up a high mountain by themselves” [Matthew 17:1] They witnessed a foretaste of his coming glory, it is described as a “vision” in Matthew 17:9 and they were not to talk about it “until the Son of Man is risen from the dead.”

What an experience! Jesus “was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him.” [Matthew 17:2] Peter, in his 2nd Epistle, makes the point that they “were eye witnesses of his majesty. For when he received honour and glory from God the Father, and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, ‘This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased,’ we ourselves heard this very voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on the holy mountain.” [2 Peter 1:16-18]

Matthew tells us that the voice came from “the bright cloud that overshadowed them … ‘this is my beloved Son with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.’ When the disciples heard this they fell on their faces and were terrified.” [Matthew 17:5-6] Jesus was concerned for them, he “came and touched them, saying, ‘Rise and have no fear’” [Matthew 17:7] This was an experienced etched into Peter’s mind, a foretaste that became a foundation block as his faith grew and he had to face many personal challenges in following in Christ’s footsteps.

We need to have these and other Scriptures etched into our minds to give us strength as God acts to bring extreme trouble to this world and we may encounter awesome experiences. As we come to Matthew 24 we will read of our days and of one awesome experience that awaits true believers: for “if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short” [Matthew 24:22] May we have such faith that we will “rise and have no fear” for “he will send out his angels … and they will gather his elect.” [Matthew 24:31]

-------

- DC

17 July 2012

2 Samuel 1

Jeremiah 7

Matthew 18

"IT IS NOT THE WILL OF MY FATHER ... "

One of the most wonderful messages within the Bible concerns the mercy and forgiveness of God. Today, in Matthew 18 we read the well-known parable of the lost sheep, it is prefaced by the words, “See that you do not despise one of these little ones” [Matthew 18:10]. This, we conclude means - those seen to be the “least” as the Greek word is translated in Matthew 11:11 – in contrast to the ‘greatest’ - for the disciples had asked him [Matthew 18:1] “Who is the greatest in the kingdom …”.

In seeking to save the sheep, a little one, that became “lost” Jesus concludes his story by saying, “So it is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.” [Matthew 18:14] Jesus put a child “in the midst of them” [Matthew 18:2] and told them they had to be humble and trusting like the child.

As his mortal mission is reaching its climax Jesus is more urgently teaching his disciples. Peter asked him a question about forgiveness, it seems he had a brother who caused a lot of friction and Peter seems to say, ‘Surely 7 times is enough to forgive him’, but Jesus says. “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven” [Matthew 18:22]. If we expect our Heavenly Father to be always forgiving, then we must do the same.

Our thoughts go back to the preaching of John Baptist we read early this month when he saw “many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism” [Matthew 3:7-10] John’s words to them to “bear fruit in keeping with repentance” is a lesson for all; God’s forgiveness and mercy is not automatic! We have lessons on this in God’s words to Jeremiah today: “Do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede with me” [Jeremiah 7:16] this was because they “did not obey the voice of the LORD their God, and did not accept discipline; and truth has perished … the LORD has rejected and forsaken the generation of his wrath.” [Jeremiah 7:28-29]

We shudder to contemplate the situation that faced Jeremiah, so Godless had the nation become! While we tremble at the comparisons with these last days, we remind ourselves “that it is not the will of my Father … that one of these little ones should perish” The “little ones” are, said Jesus” “my sheep (who) hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish” [John 10:27-28] Let us “hear” the voice of Jesus (and the Father) every day through reading his word and a seeking “little child” and prayer.

-------

- DC

18 July 2012

2 Samuel 2

Jeremiah 8

Matthew 19

"WHAT THEREFORE GOD HAS JOINED TOGETHER"

Our reading in Matthew 19 begins with the Pharisees asking Jesus a key question, “Is it lawful to divorce one’s wife for any cause?” [Matthew 19:3] They thought they could catch Jesus with this question; involve him in a disputed matter, maybe make him unpopular? For Jesus it was an opportunity to reinforce his teaching to his disciples in the sermon on the mount [Matthew 5:31-32].

Jesus surprised them by referring back to the foundation of marriage, saying “Because of the hardness of your heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.” He also said, “What therefore God has joined together let not man separate.” [Matthew 19:6] This point is why true marriage vows must begin with reference to the couple being joined together in the sight of God.

His disciples feel uncomfortable with this picture of absolute commitment and suggest, “If such is the case … it is better not to marry.” [Matthew 19:10] Jesus responds by talking about “eunuchs’, those who chose to remain unmarried “for the sake of the kingdom of heaven” [Matthew 19:12]: Paul and Barnabas are examples of such commitment

Our thoughts then went to the wonderful value of a faithful marriage and the training up of children: it is this that qualifies a man for a role as an elder and overseer among believers. Paul made this point to Timothy when he asked him to remain at Ephesus [1 Timothy 1:3] and how he was to make an assessment “if anyone aspires to the office of an overseer” [1 Timothy 3:1 – see the verses which follow]

Marriage is a lifelong commitment and Malachi’s message includes the reminder, “the LORD was witness between you and the wife of your youth … she is your companion and wife by covenant.” [Malachi 2:14] “what therefore God has joined together let not man separate.”

-------

- DC

19 July 2012

2 Samuel 3

Jeremiah 9

Matthew 20

"FOR IN THESE THINGS I DELIGHT"

The LORD tells Jeremiah, “ … for in these things I delight.” These things form a wonderfully positive statement – following after so many words denouncing the ungodliness of the nation. We can take these words to heart ourselves; challenging words - and those who appreciate the forthright words of the Creator of all things will respond to them.

We read, “Thus says the LORD: Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD.” [Jeremiah 9:23-24]

Let us also delight in these things. But who can say they understand and know God? The extent to which we can say this is greatly influenced by the extent to which we prayerfully read God’s word. By this means, we will come to know and understand God; also, the more it leads us to feel humble and unable to boast about anything.

David, the “man after God’s own heart” was in anguish , as we read today in 2 Samuel 3, because of the actions of some of his supporters, Joab in particular, who did not have his sensitivity as to the wise way to act in the service of God. The chapter ends with David saying, “The LORD repay the evildoer according to his wickedness” – and so it happened - in God’s good time.

David’s final words in his very first Psalm expresses his consciousness that “the LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.” Are we conscious of how much the LORD “knows” all our ways? Wisdom from above is an essential part of the way of the righteous “for in these things I delight” says our Heavenly Father.

-------

- DC

20 July 2012

2 Samuel 4; 5

Jeremiah 10

Matthew 21

"BEHOLD YOUR KING IS COMING TO YOU"

Matthew in his Gospel is more prolific than the other Gospel writers in quoting the Old Testament prophecies that Jesus fulfilled. Today we have in Matthew 21 the account of the triumphant entry of Jesus into Jerusalem [Matthew 21:4-11]. Matthew writes, “this took place to fulfil what was spoken by the prophet, saying ‘Behold your king is coming to you, mounted on a donkey … and the crowds that went before him and that followed him were shouting, ‘Hosanna to the Son of David! … Hosanna in the highest!’ And when he entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred up …”

The prophet whom God caused to predict this was Zechariah [Zechariah 9:9] and we are prompted to think of his and those of other prophets who were caused to write of the incredible dramas at the time of his second coming. We also see the remarkable prophecies the disciples were later to make as recorded in the book of Acts (e.g. Acts 3:20-21) and in their letters about his second coming; the scene will be truly awesome when true believers will be saying something like “Behold our king is coming in great glory.”

But, just as awesome, overwhelmingly so, will be his great power to bring vengeance on those who deny him, being totally blind to there being a Creator with a plan and purpose for his creation.

When we come to Matthew 24 on Monday we will see how Jesus himself predicted his return, a time when conditions on earth will be “as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until … so will be the coming of the Son of Man.” [Matthew 24:37-39]

There is nothing wrong with “eating and drinking” – it is essential – but Jesus is summing up human pleasures in life at that time, their main aim in living, with no thought of God, being the same as in the days of Noah. Let us make sure we are not “unaware” but are ready to respond when we hear the words, “Behold your king is coming to you …”

-------

- DC

21 July 2012

2 Samuel 6

Jeremiah 11

Matthew 22

"FOR MANY ARE CALLED BUT FEW ARE CHOSEN"

One of the most worrying sayings of Jesus is that quoted above, but in looking back on the events of history it makes sense. We read in Jeremiah that the call to serve God in the way he desires went unheeded. Jeremiah is told, as we read today, “Proclaim all these words in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem: Hear the words of this covenant and do them … so you shall be my people and I will be your God.” [Jeremiah 11:6,4]

All those who are convinced there is one real God who created all things and the Bible is his revelation to human beings must respond to appeals like Jeremiah’s. Our Matthew reading [Matthew 22] starts with a parable; “The kingdom of heaven (a heavenly kingdom on earth) may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son” [Matthew 22:2]. The “wedding feast is ready but those invited are not worthy “ [Matthew 22:8] because they treated the king’s servants shamefully [Matthew 22:6] as happened to Jeremiah. This surely refers to the Jewish nation.

The servants are then told to “invite to the wedding feast as many as you find. And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests.” [Matthew 22:9-10]. When the king comes “to look at the guests, he saw a man who had no wedding garment” [Matthew 22:12] The man is cast “into outer darkness.” [Matthew 22:13] The next verse [Matthew 22:14] states, ”For many are called but few are chosen.”

What does the “wedding garment” symbolise? The custom in the east, we understand, is that the host provides the attire at the wedding feast. But some think they can dress as they please! It reminds us of the prophet Zephaniah, “ … the day of the LORD is near; the LORD has … consecrated his guests. And on the day of the LORD’s sacrifice – ‘I will punish…all who array themselves in foreign attire.” [Zephaniah 1:7-8]

Most Israelites thought they could serve God on their terms, Saul is an example. Many did not want to be different to the nations around. Few desired the wedding garment God provided, so they ended up rejecting their Messiah. Has not most of Christianity done the same, bending his message to suit their ideas? Someone asked Jesus, “Lord, will those who are saved be few?” [Luke 13:23] and he responded by saying, “Strive to enter through the narrow door, for many I tell you will seek to enter but will not be able.” [Luke 13:24] But whose fault is that? Then the Master shuts the door [Luke 13:25] and it is too late. Let us read God’s word diligently and put it into practice and then, through his mercy and grace, we will be among the chosen.

-------

- DC

22 July 2012

2 Samuel 7

Jeremiah 12

Matthew 23

“I HAVE BEEN WITH YOU WHEREVER YOU WENT”

Today’s reading in 2 Samuel 7 is one that many know well: it is one of the most significant in the Old Testament. King David’s love for God and his relationship with God has reached its highest point. It suddenly comes into his mind that he should build a Temple for his God, where God can be worshipped in a truly holy setting.

The prophet Nathan tells him to go ahead, “do all that is in your heart” [2 Samuel 7:3], but “the same night the word of the LORD comes to Nathan” [2 Samuel 7:4] and among the many things he is told to tell David is “I have been with you wherever you went and have cut off your enemies from before you. And will make of you a great name … ” [2 Samuel 7:9]

This remarkable promise is then enlarged, “Moreover the LORD declares to you that the LORD will make you a house. When your days are fulfilled … I will raise up your offspring after you … and I will establish his kingdom … and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever.” [2 Samuel 7:11-13]. There are short and long term promises in these words, indeed, an everlasting promise. Solomon fulfils the short term promise of a son and he is also the one to build the physical house, the Temple in Jerusalem.

David is overwhelmed by the long term vision that is opened up to his mind. He “went in and sat before the LORD (in the tabernacle) and says, “Who am I, O Lord GOD, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far? And yet this was a small thing in your eyes, O Lord GOD. You have spoken also of your servant’s house for a great while to come … you have brought about this greatness, to make your servant know it.” [2 Samuel 7:19,21]

The first words in the Gospel of Matthew are “The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David … “ As with David, God was with the Lord Jesus wherever he went. Remember his personal prayer, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me …” [John 11:41-42]

Those who belong to Christ and truly live with that realization have the same blessing, “so that we might live through him” [1 John 4:9] and he will be with us wherever we go! But the promise refers to far more than this life. Peter, preaching on the day of Pentecost, quotes David’s Psalm, “you have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence.” [Acts 2:28] Imagine that, the time when those to whom God counts their faith as righteousness, as he did with Abraham (read Romans 4:22-24), will become “equal to angels, being sons (and daughters) of the resurrection” [Luke 20:36] Can we experience some of David’s wonder as “he went in and sat before the LORD.” ? May he be with us wherever we go, today and always.

-------

- DC

23 July 2012

2 Samuel 8; 9

Jeremiah 13

Matthew 24

“A TIME OF GREAT TRIBULATION SUCH AS HAS NOT BEEN …”

‘The Olivet Prophecy’ as most of today’s reading of Matthew 24 is known - is full of challenging language about events future to that time. Is it good to think that we have the ‘interpretation’ of its words exactly sorted out? The phraseology is puzzling in parts and we must recognize some aspects of prophecy only become clear as events start to take place. It is like fitting a jigsaw puzzle together and it is exciting as the overall picture becomes more evident, this was the experience during the last 2 centuries. There are still parts that It is unwise to be too dogmatic about; we must have patience.

The key question the disciples asked Jesus was, “What will be the sign of your coming and of the close of the age?” [Matthew 24:3] Part of his answer is to say, “if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved, but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.” [Matthew 24:22]. The previous verse says, “there will be a time of great tribulation such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now” [Matthew 24:21] So there will be still “the elect” living at the time of the greatest crisis in human history.

Matthew 24:31 tells us the angels will be sent out to gather the elect! Are the “elect” only the true and faithful believers that then exist? If so, we might compare this with the time of Noah, when there were only seven God was willing to save, but Christ is not returning to destroy the world!. When we consider that Israel is also called God’s “elect” (see Isaiah 42:1; 45:4; 65:9,22) and they now exist again after 1900 years in oblivion, we suspect the reference by Jesus to “the elect” may well be primarily to them – it is for the sake of Israel that “those days will be cut short” – while the Christian “elect” will be gathered by the angels.

Jesus said, “the powers of the heavens will be shaken” [Matthew 24:29]. If this is to be taken literally and, potentially Iran could soon explode a nuclear device, this could initiate “the time of “reat tribulation” but God will act for “the elect’s sake” but there may well be awesome events to occur as “the angels gather his elect” [Matthew 24:31]. What will Israel’s situation be at this time of world crisis? In Micah 7:18-19 are the words, “Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance … He will again have compassion on us”

For ourselves, let us live in a way that will ensure we are among “the elect” whom the angels gather – while those “in the tombs will hear his voice” [John 5:28] because they have established a relationship with him.

-------

- DC

24 July 2012

2 Samuel 10

Jeremiah 14

Matthew 25

"LORD, WHEN DID WE SEE THEE ... "

Today’s chapter of Matthew [Matthew 25] contains 3 challenging parables, the Master’s final ones. Just 2 days later [Matthew 26:2] he is arrested and the major purpose of his mortal life on earth unfolds.

The first parable highlights 5 virgins who were wise in taking “a flask of oil with their lamps” [Matthew 25:4], in case the bridegroom was long in coming they wanted to make sure they had enough, “for you know neither the day nor the hour” of his arrival [Matthew 25:13]. We are inclined to think that oil indicates the need for sufficient faith to endure so that we can be sure to ‘see’ when it is plainly true to say, “Here is the bridegroom! Come out and meet him” [Matthew 25:6].

We read in Matthew 24:13 that “the one who endures to the end will be saved” and if that is the end of our mortal life - we know that “the dead in Christ will rise first” [1 Thessalonians 4:16] and will meet him.

The second parable is of servants being given various talents of money and the use (or non-use) the servants make of them; Those who “have been faithful over a little, I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your Master,” [Matthew 25:23] he tells them on his return.

The third parable is of the sheep and the goats, the sheep are told, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you ... For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink. I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.” [Matthew 25:34-36]

The sheep are perplexed to understand when they did this! The King answers, “Truly I say to you. as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers (or sisters), you did it to me.’” [Matthew 25:40] The goats are told, “depart from me, you cursed …” [Matthew 25:41], there is no future for them! They ask the same question, “Lord when did we see thee… ” [Matthew 25:44] They are condemned for being self-centred, like the one with the talent who did not put it to use, they had been pleased no doubt to be known as Christians, but had not really served their Master in any meaningful way.

The chapter ends, “and these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” It does not indicate eternal torture, it means their life is at an end, they go into “darkness” [Matthew 25:30] and as they go, as was foretold of the Jewish leaders, “there will be weeping … when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of God but you yourselves cast out.” [Luke 13:28] Are you among the sheep or the goats? There is no third choice! Oh the inner joy of being among the sheep – both now – but even more – then to “enter into the joy of your Master.” [Matthew 25:23] Isn’t this the God-given purpose of our lives?

-------

- DC

25 July 2012

2 Samuel 11

Jeremiah 15

Matthew 26

"NOT AS I WILL BUT AS YOU WILL"

Today we read the account of the dreadful last 24 hours or so in the mortal life of our Lord Jesus. Yes, he was mortal, otherwise his death was only a sort of ‘mirage.’ His agony of mind in the Garden of Gethsemane shows he knew what awaited him. It is possible he reasoned, as he prayed to his father, that his father’s will could be the same as with Abraham when he was willing to sacrifice Isaac and at the last moment his action was stopped [Genesis 22:10-12].

With what utter urgency of mind Jesus prayed, “if it be possible let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” [Matthew 26:39] This clearly shows Jesus had a separate will to his Father, he was not an ‘automated’ son; the theory of later centuries that the Father and Son are co-equal, co-eternal, etc. is pure human theology and is false, many scriptures make this plain especially Hebrews 5:5-9.

There are several lessons that flow from this, especially the lesson for us on the foundation purpose of our lives and what our “will” should decide as to the paths open to us in pursuing our ambitions in life: it is essential they are made with a clear appreciation and acceptance of true godly principles.

Sometimes there are critical lessons to be learnt! We saw the lesson Peter learnt in a mind of extreme anguish: he had brash self-confidence in declaring he would never deny his Lord, as we read in Matthew 26:33. It can be that when we seek relaxation from the battles of life as David did as we read today in 2 Samuel 11:1-2 that we let down our defences and our clear vision of our relationship with our Saviour is dulled. There is a proverb about idle hands, there should be one, and probably is, about roving eyes and minds!

There has never been an age when human minds and eyes have been faced with such a multitude of opportunities to rove. All around us are those who indulge in ungodly ways and each year, it seems, this occurs to greater and greater degrees. Let Jeremiah’s trials and his words, we also read today, be examples to us, “I did not sit in the company of revellers … because your hand was upon me … your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O LORD, God of hosts.” [Jeremiah 15:17-16] Is Jesus your LORD, are you called by his name? Then let us follow Jeremiah’s example.

-------

- DC