TFTBR - May 2012

Resource Manager

01 May 2012

Deuteronomy 18

Ecclesiastes 10

Acts 9

"WHY ARE YOU PERSECUTING ME"

Most people have heard and read of the dramatic conversion of the Apostle Paul. Acts 8 starts by telling us that Paul “approved of” the “execution” of Stephen and how he then “was ravaging the church, and entering house after house, he dragged off men and women and committed them to prison.” [Acts 8:1,3]

Acts 9 starts by telling us that Saul (as he was then called) “still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus” [Acts 9:1,2]. The account of what happened just before he arrived at Damascus is well known, even to those who do not read their Bibles regularly; “suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. And falling to the ground he heard a voice saying to him, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?’ And he said, ‘Who are you Lord?’ And he said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting’” [Acts 9:3-5]

We must make sure we see the significance of how Jesus phrased his question, he did not say why are you persecuting those who believe in me, but “why are you persecuting ME” True believers are “in Christ” and he is in them! Realize what that means! Paul told the Corinthians, “you are not your own, for you were bought with a price … your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit within you” ” [1 Corinthians 6:20,19] True believers represent Christ, just as Christ represented God [John 14:9-11]

Later this week we will read how Paul told the people of Athens “they should seek God… he is actually not far from each one of us, for ‘In him we live and move and have our being.’” [Acts 17:27,28] In writing to the Hebrews, the point is made that “he has said, ‘I will never leave you or forsake you.’” [Hebrews 13:5]

Christ was ‘in’ those Paul had been persecuting. Are we seeking God, have we established an intimate relationship with him? Paul in writing to the Romans challenged them as to what their lives should be like “if Christ is in you …” [Romans 8:10] Have we done what Paul did after he received back his sight? “Something like scales fell from his eyes and he regained his sight. Then he rose and was baptized. And immediately he proclaimed Jesus …” [Acts 9:18,19]

-------

- DC

02 May 2012

Deuteronomy 19

Ecclesiastes 11

Acts 10

"PREACHING GOOD NEWS OF PEACE"

Today we read of the perplexity of the Apostle Peter when he has a vision, while sleeping, of a great sheet lowered from heaven which contained a lot of animals that were unclean under the Law of Moses and therefore should not be killed for food. He is told to “kill and eat” and he refuses, but a voice says, “What God has made clean, do not call common” [Acts 10:13,15]

This happened 3 times and Peter is perplexed as the sheet is removed, but at that moment messengers arrive from the Roman Centurion Cornelius and ask Peter to come with them. He now perceives the meaning of the vision, he is to go and preach the message about Jesus to non-Jews. When he arrives he says to Cornelius, who has also gathered relatives and friends, that he now realises it is God’s will that “in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him. As for the word that he sent to Israel preaching good news of peace through Jesus Christ …” [Acts 10:35,36]

Only the message of Jesus Christ is the message of peace; it alone offers peace of mind in a world of turmoil. Peace of mind because it creates a relationship with God as Paul told the Philippians, “the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” [Philippians 4:7]

Peter went on to say to his unexpected audience that Jesus “commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead” [Acts 10:42] The time when he returns to judge by raising the dead who have accepted his name, or had faith in God as illustrated in the Old Testament, or heard him preaching, like the Pharisees did: this time cannot be too far in the future in this world of hopeless disarray - which significantly includes the unsolvable frictions among the nations surrounding and in the Holy Land about which there are many prophecies.

At that time, not only will there be peace of mind in the hearts of true believers, but peace will spread throughout all the earth. Our chapter concludes with Peter commanding “them to be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ.” [Acts 10:48] This command applies just as much today.

-------

- DC

03 May 2012

Deuteronomy 20

Ecclesiastes 12

Acts 11; 12

"... WITH STEADFAST PURPOSE"

One of the early converts after the day of Pentecost was a man called Barnabas; we are not told all that much about him but what we are told is most interesting. At the end of Acts 4 we read of a Levite, one of the priestly tribe, named Joseph “who was also called by the apostles Barnabas (which means son of encouragement) (who) … sold a field that belonged to him and brought the money and laid it at the apostles feet.” [Acts 4:36-37]

It is evident from today’s chapter, Acts 11, that Barnabas became very useful in the Lord’s work. After the death of Stephen those who were scattered because of the persecution … travelled as far as Phoenicia and Cyprus (Barnabas was a Cypriot) speaking the word (but) to no one except the Jews.” [Acts 11:19]

“The report of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. When he came and saw the grace of God, he was glad and exhorted (encouraged) them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast purpose.” [Acts 11:22,23]

“A great many people were added to the Lord” [Acts 11:24] at this time – so then “Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they … taught a great many people.” [Acts 11:25,26] Then a famine arose which must have particularly affected those in Jerusalem, so “the disciples (in Antioch), determined, everyone according to his ability to send relief to the brothers living in Judea. And they did so … by the hand of Barnabas and Saul.” [Acts 11:29,30]

True believers today need the equivalent of Barnabas among them, ones who “remain faithful … with steadfast purpose” Do you remember how Paul concluded in 1 Corinthians 15? Memorise this verse, “Therefore my beloved brothers. Be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labour is not in vain.” [1 Corinthians 15:58]

-------

- DC

04 May 2012

Deuteronomy 21

Songs 1

Acts 13

"JUDGE YOURSELVES UNWORTHY OF ETERNAL LIFE"

We consider today’s chapter 13 in Acts to be one of the most ‘powerful’ in the Scriptures in the way it portrays the essential challenge to all men and women, young and old, of whether they are on God’s side or not. And, if they are on God’s side, then, whether they truly see the meaning of life as God sees it.

Paul and Barnabas come to Antioch in Pisidia, which is in central southern Turkey. There is a large synagogue there and Paul is invited to give them a message [Acts 13:15-16]. This would be because of his training as a Pharisee and maybe because he came from Tarsus which was not too far away.

As with Stephen, he stresses all the actions of God in directing the course of history. He begins by addressing those “who fear God.” The Creator of all things only focuses his attention on those who believe and are in awe of him. Paul gives them a history lesson as Stephen had done in Jerusalem [Acts 7]. It is a lesson of all the actions of God in the past to make himself known - from the time they were delivered from Egypt.

The verses are obviously only a brief summary of what Paul said; he then says, “Brothers, sons of the family of Abraham, and those among you who fear God (i.e. the Gentiles who also heard him), to us has been sent the message of this salvation” [Acts 13:26]. He then recounts the death and resurrection of Jesus and says, “through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and by him (Jesus) everyone who believes is freed from everything from which you could not be freed by the Law of Moses.” [Acts 13:38,39]

Then Paul quotes the prophets as a warning to those who reject the message, “Look, you scoffers, be astounded and perish; for I am doing a work in your days, a work that you will not believe, even if one tells it to you.” [Acts 13:41, quoted from Habakkuk 1:5] Some “began to contradict what was spoken by Paul, reviling him” [Acts 13:45] In response “Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly saying, ‘It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles” (i.e. non-Jews) [Acts 13:46]

Today the main reason why so many thrust aside the message is different. The theory is everywhere taught – and now largely accepted - that all things that exist came about by chance - and there is no Creator – also that nearly everyone today likes to live and act as they please.

Is that your way of thinking? Are you judging yourself “unworthy of eternal life?”

-------

- DC

05 May 2012

Deuteronomy 22

Songs 2

Acts 14; 15

"IF YOU KEEP YOURSELF FROM THESE ..."

Today we read about a serious conference that took place in Jerusalem among the disciples and other principal brethren about problems that had arisen among the believers. Some of the Pharisees who were now believers in Christ were advocating that the Gentiles whom Paul had been converting, that “it is necessary to circumcise them and to order them to keep the law of Moses” [Acts 15:5]

Peter recounts how God had acted to bring about the conversion and baptism of Cornelius and his relatives and friends so that “by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. And God who knows the heart, bore witness to them …” [Acts 15:7,8] How powerful to fully realize that “God knows the heart”! The result of the conference is that they decide to write to the Gentiles saying that “it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements: that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these you will do well …” [Acts 15:28,29]

Nowadays, at least in this country, there is no sacrificing to idols or drinking blood or animals strangled so that they retain the blood in their bodies. The one thing that there is – here and it seems in all countries – is increasing abundance is “sexual immorality.” It was widespread in those days as we see it is mentioned in nearly all the letters of the apostles and in the final messages of Jesus to the churches [Revelation 2:15,20]

The final message of Jesus in the last chapter in the Bible has Jesus telling us. “Behold I am coming soon (in God’s sense of ‘soon’ for he sees “one day is as a thousand years” [2 Peter 3:8]) bringing my recompense (reward) with me, to repay everyone for what he has done … Outside are the … sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.” [Revelation 22:12,15] Let all who know God in their hearts and realize he knows them - keep themselves from these. To really “know” God provides the strength to do this – and our regular reading and meditation on his word is an essential part of achieving this.

-------

- DC

06 May 2012

Deuteronomy 23

Songs 3

Acts 16; 17

“SIGNS AND WONDERS”

One of the better known incidents in the Bible is when Paul was in Athens confronting the idol worshippers and then gave his speech on Mars Hill, which modern Bible’s translate as Areopagus [Acts 17:22]. It still exists today. Paul comments on how religious (AV superstitious) they are! “Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious: for I passed along and observed the objects of your worship.” He seizes on the fact they had even made an altar to the unknown god, in case they had missed one! This is Paul’s chance to describe the God they do not know as the one true God, a God that is REAL and not the product of human imagination.

Today we have ‘evolution’ as the product of human imagination which is, in a sense, ‘worshipped’ by most of the intellectuals of this age. This evolution ‘God’ sets free its worshippers from any sense of having a conscience toward ‘God’ in the way they behave. Consciences today are motivated by what is called humanism, that man is responsible for his own destiny, there is no need to think of there being a God, let alone being in awe of him.

It occurred to us to wonder why Paul performed no miracles at Athens as this would have challenged the convictions of the people. At the beginning of the Apostle’s preaching there had been a dramatic healing in Jerusalem. Miracles occurred again in Cyprus and then at Iconium where “the Lord bore witness … granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands” [Acts 14:3] and again at Lystra and Philippi. The healings helped convince many, or at least challenge their interest, so why not at Athens?

Could it be that the people of Athens were so set and confident in their ways of religious thought that they did not deserve to witness a miracle! Remember Jesus “could no mighty work in Nazareth because of their unbelief” [Mark 6:4-6] Is that not comparable to today? As more and more is discovered of the marvels of our world and the universe around us, the more extraordinary are the theories that are advanced to explain how it all came into being. There is now such a conviction that there is no God at all – a belief that all things “created” themselves! When the miracle of Christ’s return overwhelms the world- it will be too late to start believing. Belief in God has its foundation built on faith! How strong is your foundation?

-------

- DC

07 May 2012

Deuteronomy 24

Songs 4

Acts 18; 19

“HE REASONED … AND TRIED TO PERSUADE”

Continuing our readings in the ACTS of the Apostles, two particular words jumped out today. The Apostle Paul came to Corinth and “he reasoned every Sabbath and tried to persuade both Jews and Greeks” [Acts 18:4] Imagine the reasoning! Can you? What reasoning is most persuasive? We read yesterday that he was “reasoning out of the Scriptures,” which is our Old Testament.

We must seek to get the full meaning of the words that God caused to be written and preserved. The Bible is NOT a novel to be read rapidly to capture the action; we should read in such a way that we think ‘around’ what we are reading. If we do that it becomes more and more interesting and the meaning becomes clearer. We learnt today that Paul came to Ephesus and again “went into the synagogue and reasoned with the Jews” [Acts 18:19]

Did you realize the Bible tells you to reason with yourself? The very first Psalm, the writer being King David, starts with “Blessed is the man (meaning all human beings) who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers: but his delight is in the law (footnote says this means instruction) of the LORD and on His law he meditates* day and night.”

Today, more than ever before we are surrounded by scoffers, loose thinkers, talkers and doers who do not want to listen to reasoning about godly matters. Their minds are full of the present, all too often acting impulsively, they have no vision of the real meaning of life, and therefore the here and now is largely all that matters.

The more we mix with them, especially in conversation, the more we are in danger of becoming like them. The more we reason about God and read his word and mix with others who do the same, the more we will become genuine children of God - and adopted children that he can use in his service.

-------

* The NKJV Bible margin says, meditates means “ponders by talking to himself” - that is, reasoning out in your mind the full meaning of what you have read in God’s word of his laws, precepts and revelations.

-------

- DC

08 May 2012

Deuteronomy 25

Songs 5

Acts 20

"PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO YOURSELVES"

We are reading of Paul and his slow progress in travelling back to Jerusalem as he completes his third missionary journey. The elders of the church at Ephesus come to see him at Miletus. He reminds them of all he has done in “serving the Lord with all humility … how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you in public and from house to house, testifying both to Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.” [Acts 20:19-21]

What an example of absolute dedication he is: he goes on to say, “I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.” [Acts 20:24]

Paul’s life had become the ultimate example of commitment, he was fully walking in the footsteps and example of his Lord. Because of this he can say, “I am innocent of the blood of all of you, for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God. Pay careful attention to yourselves and all the flock …” [Acts 20:27,28] Paul is an example we should do our best to try to follow, as he did his best to follow the example of Christ, and, we must realise that in the process of doing this we also set an example to others.

His message is reaching its climax as he declares. “And now I commend you to God and the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified” [Acts 20:32] Among the areas of careful attention is the warning that “from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away disciples …” [Acts 20:30] That is why we have so many different ‘christian’ communities today, the only true and sure way forward is to “pay careful attention” to the word of God as an essential food for our minds and direction to our hearts.

-------

- DC

09 May 2012

Deuteronomy 26

Songs 6

Acts 21; 22

"YOU SHALL REJOICE IN ALL THE GOOD ... "

Moses is now starting to give his final message of encouragement to the nation before he dies. He is painting a picture in words of all the blessings to come when they go over the Jordan and settle in the promised land, a promise that was fulfilled to all that heard him. It was fulfilled under the leadership of Joshua after they crossed the Jordan.

Moses encouraged them, “it will be a land flowing with milk and honey … and you shall rejoice in all the good that the LORD your God has given you.” [Deuteronomy 26:9,11] Then “you shall say before the LORD,” Moses tells them, “I have not transgressed any of your commandments, nor have O forgotten them” [Deuteronomy 26:13]. With this vision of their future Moses counsels them to “be careful to (keep God’s law) … with all your heart and with all your soul … and the LORD has declared today that you are a people for his treasured possession” [Deuteronomy 26:16,18]. Joshua and all his generation were faithful and were blessed as we will read later this month.

It is interesting to note that Joshua and Jesus are the same word (the difference being the Hebrew vv. the Greek) and Jesus promised, “blessed are the meek (gentle) for they shall inherit the earth … blessed are the pure (clean) in heart for they shall see God” [Matthew 5:5,8] A glorified earth has been promised to those who are faithful, an earth that has become a paradise, a world-wide garden of Eden [Revelation 2:7] Ultimately when all things are perfect after the 1,000 years reign of Christ, in that ultimate age, “the dwelling place of God is with man … God himself will be with them as their God … for the former things have passed away.” [Revelation 21:3] Jesus “himself will be subjected to him … that God may be all in all.” [1 Corinthians 15:28].

God has never promised heaven as man’s future abode, that idea and resultant way of thinking came from the influence of pagan Greek thinking centuries after Christ. Let us rejoice in what is true, in what has been promised. How wonderful the understanding perceived in the hearts of those that are careful to serve God and His Son! The daily reading of his word being the foundation of their lives with the anticipation of rejoicing in all the good that God has promised to come on this earth.

-------

- DC

10 May 2012

Deuteronomy 27

Songs 7

Acts 23; 24

"THERE WILL BE A RESURRECTION …"

Our readings in Acts 23; 24 describe events when Paul is arrested at Jerusalem, as the prophets among the believers had been inspired to predict. Paul takes advantage of the disagreement among his accusers, the Pharisees and Sadducees, to cause dissension among them. [Acts 23:7]. More than 40 plot to lay an ambush and kill Paul. This plot is overheard by Paul’s sister’s son (which seems to indicate that family members were involved in supporting him). The son reports the plot to the Roman tribune and as a result Paul is sent by night under guard to Caesarea to the Roman Governor Felix.

Paul is pleased, when brought before him, because Felix has been “for many years … a judge over this nation” [Acts 24:10] and has “a rather accurate knowledge” [Acts 24:22] of the Christian “way.” In his defence Paul makes the point that “there will be a resurrection of both the just and the unjust. So I always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man.” [Acts 24:15,16] This is a message which we must take to heart ourselves; the unjust will also be called to account at that incredible time of divine intervention in the affairs of men which is surely not far ahead. Remember Jesus said, “Whoever is not with me is against me” [Matthew 12:30]

This is a message we must not fail to take to heart; there is no neutral position, the unjust will also be called to account. How many examine their consciences these days. Yes, we all consider our aims and priorities in life and make decisions as to whether God is part of them or not! To ignore God is to make a decision.

It is interesting that the wife of Felix is a Jewess and they “sent for Paul and heard him speak about faith in Christ Jesus. And as he reasoned about righteousness and self-control and the coming judgement, Felix was alarmed …” [Acts 24:24,25] How parallel is this today! Some are intrigued by the message of the Bible but are unable to make a commitment. Are any readers of our thoughts in this situation? Remember how “Elijah came near to all the people and said ‘How long will you go limping between two different opinions?” [1 Kings 18:21] Do you believe in the true God or don’t you? And if you do believe, have acted on that belief? It is wonderful if you have and are working towards having the same dedication as Paul.

-------

- DC

11 May 2012

Deuteronomy 28

Songs 8

Acts 25; 26

"THE HELP THAT COMES FROM GOD"

What kind of help comes from God? Who said this? We see in today’s Bible readings that it was Paul who said this in the defence he made before King Agrippa. But Paul had undergone many challenging times and experienced many difficult situations, so what kind of help had God given?

Having God on your side does not mean that you experience a peaceful, sort-of ‘teflon coated’ existence so that no troubles affect your life. We read last week of Paul and Barnabas, how they returned through the places they had visited “strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying that through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.” [Acts 14:22]

Paul told the king of his conversion and his resultant conviction of what life was really all about. We see how he and all who reach this conviction of understanding, “turn from darkness to light … that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith ..” [Acts 26:18]. He then recounts how “the Jews seized me in the temple and tried to kill me. To this day I have had the help that comes from God, and so I stand here testifying both to small and great, saying nothing but what the prophets and Moses said would come to pass …” [Acts 26:21,22]

Festus who was now the Roman Governor says to him, “… ‘your great learning is driving you out of your mind’ But Paul said, ‘I am not out of my mind, most excellent Festus, but I am speaking true and rational words. For the king knows about these things, and to him I speak boldly. For I am persuaded that none of these things has escaped his notice, for this has not been done in a corner.’” [Acts 26:24-26]

Those who fairly examine history have to admit that the events of the First Century totally changed the course of human thinking about religion. The multitude of records that have come down to us – not just the Bible – testify to this. Those who see this, see ‘light’ in the darkness of this world and follow that light and experience “the help that comes from God,” their Bible reading laying the foundation. That has been our experience – is it yours? Or will you live in a way that it will be yours?

-------

- DC

12 May 2012

Deuteronomy 29

Isaiah 1

Acts 27

"BEWARE LEST THERE BE AMONG YOU ... "

We are now near the end of Moses final message to the people. He has urgent words of warning and encouragement to those who have survived the rigours of the wilderness journey, “Beware lest there be among you a root bearing poisonous and bitter fruit, one who, when he hears the words of this sworn covenant, blesses himself in his heart, saying, ‘I shall be safe, though I walk in the stubbornness of my heart” [Deuteronomy 29:18-19]

Thankfully, with few exceptions – those who heard Moses heeded his words; they crossed the Jordan and were successful in their conquests under the guidance of their ‘saviour’ Joshua. We wish we could be as confident today, but the climax of our wilderness journey is that we are passing through much ‘poisonous’ territory.

Let us compare Moses words with “the vision of Isaiah … which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem” [isaiah 1:1] during the reigns of 4 kings. Note carefully his message which we began reading today; “ … give ear; O earth; for the LORD has spoken ‘Children have I reared and brought up, but they have rebelled against me. The ox knows its owner, and the donkey its master’s crib, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand. Ah, sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity …” [isaiah 1:2-4] Yet, as we read more of the words the LORD has spoken through Isaiah we sense there were some who responded. In several places it is a very appropriate message for those who will listen – and respond – in these days.

Isaiah writes, “If the LORD of hosts had not left us a few survivors, we should have been like Sodom, and become like Gomorrah.” [isaiah 1:9] Because their attitude in worship was, what we could call, synthetic instead of genuine, Isaiah conveys this message from the LORD, “… your appointed feasts my soul hates they have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. When you spread out your hands, I will hide my eyes from you; even though you make many prayers, I will not listen …” [isaiah 1:14-15]

Isn’t that astounding! Many like to think that God is such a being of total love that he is always forgiving if we pray. That is not so! Yet there is a more reassuring picture in Isaiah 1:18-19, “Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. If you are willing and obedient …” and do not walk in stubbornness of heart, but constantly read God’s word and “reason together” in sincere prayer and with those of real faith.

-------

- DC

13 May 2012

Deuteronomy 30

Isaiah 2

Act 28

“IN THAT DAY”

Today we completed reading ACTS. The last 2 verses of the book tell us that Paul was in Rome for “two whole years … and welcomed all who came to him, proclaiming the kingdom of God and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ with all boldness and without hindrance.” That is where Luke ends his narrative, we have no inspired record of what happened to him after that. We notice the emphasis on Paul proclaiming God’s Kingdom ­ it is sad that as the generations passed that the message preached about the personal future of the righteous became totally corrupted to one of human imagination; that of an immortal soul having some kind of existence in heaven.

Our reading today in Isaiah has wonderful details about God’s Kingdom that “shall come to pass in the latter days … and all the nations shall flow to it … and say: Come let us go up … to the house (temple) of the God of Jacob that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths for out of Zion shall go the law and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem … he shall judge between nations … nation shall not lift up sword (weapons) against nation, neither shall they learn war any more” [isaiah 2:2-4].

The kingdom Paul was proclaiming was this kingdom that Isaiah reveals. God spoke of it also through other prophets, and we should know well how Jesus preached it. But ­ now note - Isaiah has another vision of our days, a fearsome vision, three times in the last 11 verses of today’s 2nd chapter we encounter the phrase, “in that day”! His vision describes a time when “the lofty pride of man shall be humbled” [isaiah 2:11] with a warning “against every high tower” [isaiah 2:15] - and never have there been more towering buildings than today.

Later Isaiah sees in vision “the day of the great slaughter when the towers fall … the LORD comes from afar, burning with anger … to sift the nations with the sieve of destruction” [isaiah 30:25,27,28] This compares with words in today’s chapter, “the lofty pride of men shall be brought low, and the LORD alone will be exalted in that day … when he rises to terrify the earth” [isaiah 2:17,19]. Those who do not know God’s word and have no relationship with him will be terrified. Let us make sure we know what God has spoken through the prophets, we will come across some awesome words about “that day” as we continue our readings in Isaiah for the next several weeks.

-------

- DC

14 May 2012

Deuteronomy 31

Isaiah 3; 4

Colossians 1

“THE FIRSTBORN FROM THE DEAD”

The Apostle Paul, said Peter [2 Peter 3:16], writes “some things … that are hard to understand which the ignorant and unstable twist”! We suspect some verses in today’s reading of Colossians 1 are an example of this. Paul writes about Jesus as “the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation” [Colossians 1:15]. He goes on to say that “he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent.” [Colossians 1:18].

From this we learn that the resurrection of Jesus, following a life in which he succeeded in making God’s will his will led to his being made pre-eminent by God. But doing God’s will was not an automatic process, it was an incredible challenge, remember his agonizing in the garden of Gethsemane. (see Luke 22:42).

His resurrection to eternal life was the starting point at which he was made pre-eminent in everything. It was a new beginning, one could say, a new creation.

Paul says, in reasoning with the Galatians, that neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, “but a new creation” [Galatians 6:15] He said the same thing in 2 Corinthians 5:17, “if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation”. Our awareness of these quotations provide the foundation for our understanding of how all things were created FOR Christ. God’s work of creation was with him in mind from the very beginning. We note how Peter expresses this about Christ, “He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was manifest in these last times … ” [1 Peter 1:20] by “God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory …” [1 Peter 1:21]

The glory of Jesus came from God, he gave him pre-eminence because he was obedient unto death. Our understanding can be confused by translators who, thinking of Jesus as God himself; this appears to have influenced their translation in a few places. An example is the Greek preposition ek. It occurs in our Colossians chapter no less than 31 times. It has the primary meaning of in, but the translators have used no less than 6 different English words in that chapter. Now we know you cannot translate from one language to another word for word and always make meaningful sense, but we noticed how in Colossians 1:16, they have rendered it as “by” - “for by him were all things created” Yet the ESV, we use has a footnote against ‘by’ – that says - That is, ‘by means of’, or ‘in’.

Think, if they were created for him, it does not make sense that they were created by him. Have we confused you? God created the world with Jesus in mind. Jesus lived and died with us in mind (Read John 20:20-21) The “new creation” flows on from the original creation of Adam and Eve. Are you part of the new creation, taking on the name of Christ in baptism? Or will you be among those who fail because they stay related to Adam?

-------

- DC

15 May 2012

Deuteronomy 32

Isaiah 5

Colossians 2

"BY THIS WORD YOU SHALL LIVE"

Moses has reached the end of his long life, he is now 120 years old and his final effort is a final message to the nation. We read, “then Moses spoke the words of this song … in the ears of the assembly of Israel.” [Deuteronomy 31:30]. His words were designed to be memorised. “When Moses had finished speaking all these words to all Israel” [Deuteronomy 32:45] “he said to them, take to heart these words … that you may command them to your children … for it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live …” [Deuteronomy 32:46,47]

We can see his final message as a microcosm of all God’s words that he has caused to be preserved for humanity for the guidance of those who seek to believe in him and seek to do his will. Such will therefore read his word and apply their minds to understand.

Moses final message to the emerging nation of Israel applies, in its basic principles, to all who seek to serve God. God could see that many in succeeding generations in Israel would lose their vision of God and not remain faithful – and so, sadly, this has also largely been the case with those who say they are following Christ.

God says to Israel, prophetically through Moses, “I will hide my face from them … for they are a perverse generation, children in whom is no faithfulness.” [Deuteronomy 32:20] and so it has been – and is equally true in this 21st Century with so many who claim to follow Christ. Through Moses, God said the people would become “a nation void of counsel and there is no understanding in them. If they were wise they would understand this; they would discern their latter end.” [Deuteronomy 32:28,29]

Other scriptures give us more details of their latter end but Moses ends his song positively seeing a time when God “avenges the blood of his children and takes vengeance on his adversaries and cleanses his people’s land” [Deuteronomy 32:43]. Then Moses “came and recited all the words … in the hearing of the people” [Deuteronomy 32:44] and added in conclusion the words we quoted at the start; “it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live” This is parallel with the words of Christ and the apostles by which we must live – and, as a result, live eternally.

“Words” in our world are “empty” of eternal meaning – so let us make God’s words our “very life.”

-------

- DC

16 May 2012

Deuteronomy 33; 34

Isaiah 6

Colossians 3; 4

"FOR YOU HAVE DIED AND YOUR LIFE IS HIDDEN ... "

Paul writes in a very challenging way to the Colossians; he spells out very plainly that the pathway in following Christ is the very opposite to the pathways of those whose way of life leaves Christ and God out of account; their way of life becomes increasingly tragic especially if they believe there is no God – and therefore reject there is any need of a Saviour. When Paul tells the Colossian believers, “for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God” [Colossians 3:3] he means that believers have ‘died’ to the appreciation of the things that the ungodly see as valuable and important in their lives.

Paul tells them to “set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on the earth” [Colossians 3:2] The things “above” will become a wonderful reality “when Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.” [Colossians 3:4] In setting our minds on the things that are above, that are not earthly or fleshly, Paul tells them that the result is that you “put to death … what is earthly in you; sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire and covetousness” [Colossians 3:5]

Our world is increasingly full of this; so many are now spending their lives thirsting to possess the next clever invention; spiritual considerations find no place at all in their thinking. Paul says “on account of these the wrath of God is coming” [Colossians 3:6] and it came upon Colossae long ago as it did on so many other ancient cities.

What fate awaits the cities of today at God’s hands we can only ponder in apprehension – and we will tremble to think about this all the more as we will read soon the long term prophecies God gave through Isaiah.

Our aim must be that, having “put off the old self” [Colossians 3:9], we “put on the new self which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.” [Colossians 3:10] It is an ongoing process of renewal in becoming more and more like Christ. May we all make some progress each day, our daily reading of the Bible is a foundation factor in this renewal of knowledge.

-------

- DC

17 May 2012

Joshua 1

Isaiah 7

1 Thessalonians 1; 2

"BOLDNESS IN OUR GOD"

Today we began reading the book of Joshua: also Paul’s letters to the Thessalonians. Both recount the need for boldness and the need to be courageous ­ comparable in some ways to the thought that has been expressed in recent generations, ‘the power of positive thinking,’ but which lacks the ‘God-fearing’ ingredient.

Attitudes of thinking in the minds of those with a true faith in God, minds that are ‘fed’ by daily ‘feeding’ on God’s word, grow stronger and stronger. Paul told the Thessalonians how he, with Silvanus and Timothy, were “constantly mentioning you in our prayers, remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labour of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.” [1 Thessalonians 1:2]

They had “received the word in much affliction” [1 Thessalonians 1:6] and had “turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for his Son from heaven … who delivers us from the wrath to come.” [1 Thessalonians 1:9,10] There are increasing indications that the final period of God’s wrath must be very near on a world that has become almost totally godless, therefore we need, more than ever “steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ” [1 Thessalonians 1:3] and “boldness in our God to declare … the gospel of God in the midst of much conflict.” [1 Thessalonians 2:2]

We compare this situation with the boldness of Joshua who had been thrust into the leadership after the death of Moses. God says to him, “Just as I was with Moses, I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you. Be strong and courageous” [Joshua 1:5] God then repeats this and adds, “The book of the Law … meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success …. Be strong and courageous … for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” [Joshua 1:8,9]

What words of encouragement ­ and what an example in Moses he had to follow (just as Christians have Christ and the apostles) ­ and we have just been reading Moses’ final messages in the book of Deuteronomy, words which Joshua would have very much in mind.

But today we have the whole Bible! Let us develop a spirit of dedication, being committed to read his word and develop “boldness in our God.”

-------

- DC

18 May 2012

Joshua 2

Isaiah 8

1 Thessalonians 3; 4

"ENCOURAGE ONE ANOTHER WITH THESE WORDS"

What do we find encouraging in our lives? Some would find this a difficult question – our Godless world has threatening storm clouds on the horizons – and many are fearful of how serious they might become. Paul’s words to the Thessalonians with which our chapters today conclude contained a positive message, this was that they should not grieve over any of their number who die.

Paul writes, “… we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as do others who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.” [1 Thessalonians 4:13-14].

He then explains how this will happen, “For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we too who are alive, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.” [1 Thessalonians 4:15-17]

As Jesus was about to ascend to heaven he told his astonished disciples, “It is not for you to know the times and the seasons that the Father has fixed …” [Acts 1:7]. Time has progressed onward for almost 2,000 years and men and women of a great many generations have died. We have to accept this as God’s timetable; it was about 2,000 years from Abraham to Christ – and now – in God’s scheme for human life - another 2,000 years has elapsed.

However, for those who, as Paul puts it, “fall asleep”, let us realize that none of them are conscious of the passage of time. When our Lord descends from heaven – at that time there will be a great awakening and all who have died with this “hope” will, from then on, “always be with the Lord” – and our Lord, as so many scriptures tell us, will be reigning over all the earth. With this understanding we can see how meaningful the last verse is – “Therefore encourage one another with these words.”

Do you feel encouraged? When your loved one’s ‘in Christ” die may “you not grieve as do others who have no hope.” If this is not going to be the case – now is the time to do what you can, seeking God’s guidance in prayer and through his word, to create a more encouraging expectation.

-------

- DC

19 May 2012

Joshua 3; 4

Isaiah 9

1 Thessalonians 5

“NO COMPASSION … EVERY MOUTH SPEAKS FOLLY”

Four times, the first three being in today’s reading of Isaiah 9, the prophet’s message is, “For all this his anger is not turned away and his hand is stretched out still” [isaiah 9:12,17, 21 and Isaiah 10:4]. It is a condemnation against those who speak “in pride and in arrogance of heart” [isaiah 9:9] of all they will do in their own strength to recover from their disasters and restore the things that have gone wrong in Israel. They say, they will rebuild “the bricks that have fallen, but we will build with dressed stones; the sycamore have been cut down, but we will put cedars in their place” [isaiah 9:10].

The nation refused to see that it was the LORD who had caused these disasters, but their thoughts were on rebuilding and even making things better than they were previously; they did not see that God’s anger was still there, his hand was stretched out for further punishment because “the people did not turn to him who struck them, nor inquire of the LORD of hosts.” [isaiah 9:13]

We noted the extreme result of their attitude - “the LORD will have “no compassion (even) on their fatherless and widows; for everyone is godless and an evildoer, and every mouth speaks folly (Footnote: ‘disgraceful things’)” [isaiah 9:17]. Our LORD is not endlessly compassionate, Israel, had taken his blessings for granted! Their hearts were filled with “pride and arrogance.”

There is a solemn lesson in this today; 3 years ago near where we live the people experienced dreadful forest fires covering large areas with great loss of property, nearly 200 died – in the 2 summers since then there has been great concern in case extra hot weather could cause a repeat. We have not seen any inclination to pray to God about these concerns. Other massive disasters have occurred in the world since then – God’s anger is not turned away!

Presently the world is nervous about the ‘health’ of the ‘God of Mammon’ as financial uncertainties make the world anxious: in a later chapter in Isaiah we will see implications about the ultimate failure of money.

But for those who look for light in the darkness what marvellous light is to be found in Isaiah 9:7-8 of today’s chapter! “For unto us a child is born … and the government shall be on his shoulder … of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end … to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.”

Let us all see the light in the darkness. Let us all realize how much we need the light that only God can provide?

-------

- DC

20 May 2012

Joshua 5; 6

Isaiah 10

2 Thessalonians 1; 2

“THE REMNANT OF ISRAEL”

Today’s chapter in Isaiah reveals how God uses evil nations, in this case the Assyrians, as his axe, rod or saw to deal with other nations he had decided to punish - often that nation was his own people Israel. These nations think they are achieving their successes by their own strength – and so, in one sense they are, but God is in overall control. This has always been the case. But those who are proud of their achievements are in turn dealt with by God and this was first the fate of the Assyrians and after that, Babylon’s. God through Isaiah [isaiah 10] says, “Shall the axe boast over him who hews with it” [isaiah 10:15] God was the one who was doing the hewing, he had a spiritual reason in view.

What specially attracts us to this chapter are the implications that history will repeat itself in the future! In Isaiah 10:20 we read, “In that day the remnant of Israel and the survivors of the house of Jacob will no longer lean on him who struck them, but will lean on the LORD, the Holy One of Israel in truth. A remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob, to the mighty God.” [isaiah 10:20,21] When is that day?

Israel today while much stronger in itself, still leans on another nation, that has been the USA. Before its re-establishment as a nation, it was the U.K., whose troops liberated Jerusalem from the Moslems in 1917 and then issued ‘the Balfour Declaration’. But England proved to be a weak leaning post and went back on their word, in their subsequent history; one is inclined to the view that God has judged them.

Now we see the USA lessening its support for Israel, is this a factor in the USA’s greater recent troubles? We can watch with interest, but even more than this, we must read God’s word as carefully as possible to try to correctly understand its prophecies.

One thing we noted, as quoted above, was that when Israel lean on the Lord, they do so “in truth,.” The next verse [isaiah 10:22] says, “For though your people Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them will return. Destruction is decreed, overflowing with righteousness.” It may be that the destruction that was decreed has already occurred when Hitler killed 5 million Jews, we cannot yet know for sure, but the Holocaust event so provoked the conscience of the world when the facts became known, that the newly formed UNITED NATIONS voted in 1947 in favour of the establishment of Israel. But it was God who wrought miracles to see the nation victorious the following year; the U.N., as it still is (eg Syria), was powerless to enforce its decisions of 1947.

We will read more of this in Isaiah’s next chapter with great interest, just as we read with great interest the passages today in the New Testament of the “man of sin” the lawless one “whom the Lord Jesus Christ will kill with the breath of his mouth, and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming.” [2 Thessalonians 2:8] We are living in momentous days, but they are becoming ever darker except for those whose minds are illuminated by the word of God.

-------

- DC

21 May 2012

Joshua 7

Isaiah 11

2 Thessalonians 3

“AN EXAMPLE TO IMITATE”

Today, more than ever before, we live in a herd environment, a human herd. Mass advertising in a great variety of media confronts us hour after hour, this creates a herd mentality. We reflected on this as we read Paul’s words this morning. He told the Thessalonians that we “give you in ourselves an example to imitate.” [2 Thessalonians 3:9] What do we imitate? What or who do we take as our examples in life? An equally important question – why do we see them as examples that we might feel inclined to imitate?

Bad examples surround us! But there are other things that are in some aspects good, but are dangerous in other ways! In these cases we need to acknowledge the good but be conscious of the potential for danger, seeing the aspects that could be deceitful, as Paul did. Do you remember what he wrote about sin in Romans 7? Romans 7:11 challenges our understanding. Paul wrote, “For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me …” Yet, the next verse says, the “law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.”

What does he mean? It appears to us that in studying the law and keeping them they became proud of their righteousness, that pride, deceived them! Now he was a follower of Christ, Paul sees life through Christ’s eyes, he now has what we might call, a down to earth perspective. He writes, “you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone’s bread without paying for it … that we might not be a burden to you.” [2 Thessalonians 3:7,8]

So we need to ask ourselves - are we pulling our weight, doing our share? We live in a world (in the west in particular) where getting something for nothing is the aim of quite a percentage of the population. Some have seen a career in ‘Christianity’ as a means of making a living with very little hard work attached to it. This is sometimes evident in India, especially if some overseas organisation is pouring in money.

In this country the degree of ‘social welfare’ encourages some to try to live ‘idle’ lives, but the true believer must have an attitude that is the very opposite. Soon we will be reading the letter to the Hebrews where it is stated, “Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith” [Hebrews 13:7] They did not have the blessing of a Bible to read every day and we cannot help but think that, if they had, they would have read it every spare moment – and made as many such moments as possible. Today with so many Bibles available, it is vital we ask ourselves what part does God’s word take as we live each day?

One of the smallest “books” in the Bible is the 3rd letter of John. Let’s take our final point from what he wrote at the end of his long life. “Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God.” [3 John 1:11] What will you do today that you would call “good”? We should read the Bible with such dedication of mind that we “see” God.

-------

- DC

22 May 2012

Joshua 8

Isaiah 12

1 Timothy 1; 2; 3

" ... ALL THAT IS WRITTEN"

Over the last few days we have been reading about the conquests of the Israelites after they crossed the Jordan. The account of the conquest of Jericho is well known and the way the walls fell down. Then there was a setback in achieving what had appeared to be an easy task in conquering the nearby smaller town of Ai. A surprising reason came to light; there had been disobedience with a stealing of the spoils in the conquest of Jericho. The Israelites learnt a hard lesson. A second attempt to conquer Ai succeeded.

It is most illuminating to note what Joshua then did; “he built an altar to the LORD, the God of Israel, on Mount Ebal” [Joshua 8:30], and they made “offerings to the LORD and sacrificed peace offerings” [Joshua 8:31] and Joshua “wrote on the stones a copy of the law of Moses” [Joshua 8:32] which would have been the ten commandments. But not content with that, “afterward he read all the words of the law, the blessing and the curse, according to all that is written in the Book of the Law. There was not a word of all that Moses commanded that Joshua did not read before all the assembly of Israel, and the women, and the little ones and the sojourners who lived among them” [Joshua 8:34,35]

It is obvious to us why he read “all that is written” – it was so that the failure they had recently experienced would not be repeated! Also, that they would be inspired with a “vision” in their minds of the wonder of the God they served and the long term future of their nation.

This is the reason why we read God’s words every day. It is more essential than ever for God’s word to be in our minds to “inspire” us to face each day with a ‘vision of things unseen.’ Look at the words we read in Isaiah today! “God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid … with joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. And you will say in that day, ‘Give thanks to the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the peoples … Sing praises to the LORD, for he has done gloriously …” [isaiah 12:2-5] He has done – but will do even more gloriously. Isaiah later writes, “… no eye has seen a God beside you, who acts for those who wait for him. You meet him (and her) who joyfully works righteousness, those who remember you in your ways.” [isaiah 64:4-5]

-------

- DC

23 May 2012

Joshua 9

Isaiah 13

1 Timothy 4; 5

"GODLINESS IS OF VALUE IN EVERY WAY"

What is godliness? Is the answer obvious? It should be, but in a world that increasingly does not believe in God, let alone read the Bible, few have a clear idea of what godliness is! Do we? We are reading Paul’s letters to “Timothy, my true child in the faith” [1 Timothy 1:2]. Paul had urged him to stay in Ephesus and set an example of “love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.” [1 Timothy 1:5] There were some there “who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For everything created by God is good … (and) is to be received, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.” [1 Timothy 4:3-5]

Human nature always seems to be inclined to make rules, such as to abstain from this or that, or worship on a specific day or way (see Colossians 2:8; 2:16-19) and then think they are ‘better’ people in God’s sight as a result. Paul tells Timothy, “If you put these (good) things before the brothers (and sisters), you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed.” [1 Timothy 4:6] He then stresses “… train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come” [1 Timothy 4:7-8]

Paul tells him to “set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. Until I come devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching.” [1 Timothy 4:12,13] Imagine living 400 years ago, when people were in church every day to read or hear read the Bible that had been chained to a reading stand! What value was placed in those days on the word of God – what a comparison to today!

Paul’s words summarise the main factors in true godliness. Given the way in which our minds are so easily distracted we must note the stress that Paul makes in his letter to his “true child in the faith” to “keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.” [1 Timothy 4:16]

We are not ‘hearers’ – instead we are ‘readers’ – what a wonderful blessing to have these words preserved for our guidance – that we can (and must) read every day. After Jesus told the familiar parable of the sower sowing the seed he said, “He who has ears, let him hear” [Matthew 13:9] We can and should ‘translate’ that as, ‘He that has eyes to read, let them read’ – and absorb into their consciences what they read and so develop greater ‘godliness.’

-------

- DC

24 May 2012

Joshua 10

Isaiah 14

1 Timothy 6

"IF ANYONE TEACHES A DIFFERENT DOCTRINE"

We continue reading Paul’s instructions to Timothy about the actions he should take to ensure a proper spiritual growth among the believers in Ephesus. We note the things he is to be concerned about - human nature never changes in its search for things that are ‘better’ than what they have. How many things today are described as ‘improvements’ which turn out to be the opposite!

Paul tells Timothy, “if anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing.” [1 Timothy 6:3,4] There is only one gospel! Paul warns about those who think “godliness is a means of gain” [1 Timothy 6:5] and we are sad to see in some religious movements how much money and prestige has been gained by the promoters.

But we must focus our minds on the positive things in Paul’s advice to Timothy. “There is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.” [1 Timothy 6:6-8]

There is very little contentment in this world, nearly everyone is swept along with the desire for more and ‘better’ of this or that – and that is what the advertising industry is all about! Paul observes, “those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin …” [1 Timothy 6:9]

Then Paul addresses Timothy with some very frank words – and let us think that he is addressing them to us – to you! “As for you O man (or woman) of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called …” [1 Timothy 6:11,12] And, if you have not yet taken hold of it – ask yourself, why should I delay any longer?

“All kinds of evil” [1 Timothy 6:10] are multiplying, so how important it is to be with those whose aim in life is “storing up treasure (of the right kind) for themselves, as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life” [1 Timothy 6:19]

(NOTE: Bible quotation are always from the English Standard Version)

-------

- DC

25 May 2012

Joshua 11

Isaiah 15

2 Timothy 1

"YOUR SINCERE FAITH, A FAITH THAT DWELT ..."

The final letter of the Apostle Paul was his second letter to Timothy. His opening verses after his usual greeting is to write of Timothy’s faith. Note how he expresses it, “I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.” [2 Timothy 1:5] We know nothing of his father, except he was a Greek, although his mother was a Jewess [Acts 16:1].

What a lesson this is of the valuable role of women in their commitment to Christ and the inspiration they can give to children and grandchildren, we know well the commitment that was obviously in the women who went to the tomb on the morning of the resurrection.

In the next verse Paul writes, “For this reason (your faith) I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands” [2 Timothy 1:6]. A “sincere faith” is an essential ingredient in any abilities we naturally have. In those days abilities or gifts were given by Apostles such as Paul. His first letter to the Corinthians illustrates the range of such abilities, many of which we would see as “natural” – such as wisdom and knowledge [1 Corinthians 12:8] Paul desires “especially that you may prophesy.” [1 Corinthians 14:1] which means, to reveal God’s attitude and purpose, not necessarily to predict the future – this is evident in the Old Testament prophets such as Jeremiah. Today God’s word should “fan into flame” our desire to use our various abilities to work for our Lord.

Back in the letter to Timothy we noted the next 2 verses [2 Timothy 1:7-8] “for God gave us a spirit not of fear, but of power and love and self control. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord …” In so many countries in the world the message of Christ is now held in low regard, so it is now more necessary than ever to develop this spirit of strength of mind to enhance our “sincere faith” and follow in the footsteps of Timothy.

How would someone who knows you well write about your faith?

-------

- DC