TFTBR - September 2011

Resource Manager

01 September 2011

2 Kings 6

Lamentations 2

1 Corinthians 15

"HIS GRACE TOWARD ME WAS NOT IN VAIN"

Today we read one of the most meaningful chapters in the Bible 1 Corinthians 15. Many verses “jumped out” for our meditation. The one we have chosen to really reflect upon is 1 Corinthians 15:10. Paul laments on his unworthiness, but then says, “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.”

We hear the word grace used a lot in Christian circles. There are popular hymns about “amazing grace” and how the Lord has “saved a wretch like me.” Bible readers above all people appreciate “the wonder of his grace.” But we reflected thoughtfully on the example of Paul and his utter commitment of service to his Lord to see that “his grace toward me was not in vain.”

No one can earn salvation! But in accepting “his grace” what kind of motivation does it create in our hearts? Can it be that for all too many in these “last days” that his grace is taken for granted and it fails to motivate them to live really committed lives as Paul did? Let us realize that commitment shows up in all the small things of life that we do (or don’t do) every day. Paul urged his companions in this. We will soon read in 2 Corinthians 8 how he “urged Titus that as he had started, so he should complete among you this act of grace. But as you excel in everything – in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you – see that you excel in this act of grace also.” [2 Corinthians 8:6,7]

Our acceptance of the grace of God should change us - as it did Paul, to show grace toward others in every situation so that his grace toward us is “not in vain.” If we have previously been a “wretch” – this change should be extremely evident. The challenge for most of us is in the many “small things” we do every day. Recall yesterdays reading in 2 Kings 5 of Naaman being angry he had not been asked to do some great thing to be cured of his leprosy. His grace toward us is not in vain if we daily do the small things in his service.

-------

- DC

02 September 2011

2 Kings 7

Lamentations 3

1 Corinthians 16

"BUT THIS I CALL TO MIND"

Depression is one of the most difficult things for the medical profession to treat – and those medications which are prescribed as a cure are sometimes as bad as the problem! Jeremiah’s lamentations show that he went through a time of extreme depression after Jerusalem and its temple were destroyed. Today’s third chapter contains his complaint, “he has driven me and brought me into darkness without any light” [Lamentations 3:2]. And again, “He has filled me with bitterness” [Lamentations 3:15]

However, he then starts to think more positively, “But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: the steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness” [Lamentations 3:21-23]. These delightfully positive words have been made into a hymn we often sing. Jeremiah continues, “The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him” [Lamentations 3:25]. The word ‘wait’ (qavah) is such a meaningful word! Jeremiah continues, “It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.” [Lamentations 3:26]

We note how David employs this word in the Psalms, it was a focus of his meditations, “None who wait for you shall be put to shame … Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation, for you I wait all the day long” [Psalm 25:3,5] The word wait has a special fullness of meaning, often used in the context of patience, submitting to the far-seeing will of God. The popular portrayal of God as purely a kind and loving God is unfortunate, a tragedy really.

Jeremiah, like others, such as Paul [Romans 11:22] , see it differently. Jeremiah writes, “Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that good and bad come? Why should a living man (or woman) complain about the punishment for his (her) sins? Let us test and examine our ways and return to the LORD!” [Lamentations 3:38-40] Yes, may all who read this – joyfully do that. As they “call to mind” his steadfast love.

-------

- DC

03 September 2011

2 Kings 8

Lamentations 4

2 Corinthians 1; 2

"BUT THAT WAS TO MAKE US RELY ... ON GOD"

We live in an increasingly godless world. People in any kind of difficulty expect their Governments to provide and complain when they do not. Governments that are in financial difficulties are increasingly unable to do this, indeed some are being forced to cut back on their services – and there is every prospect this will get worse, maybe in the near future.

We started reading Paul’s second letter to the Corinthians today; much of it is quite different in tone to his first letter. He writes of the “God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction” [2 Corinthians 1:3,4] and it is our responsibility to comfort and help others who are in trouble “with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”

Paul writes of his own experiences and that “we despaired of life itself. Indeed we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God” [2 Corinthians 1:8,9] So we understand that for some of us, the difficult experiences that challenge us, is a time of training that we might more fully rely on God in the future.

We reflected on events of 72 years ago today when we were young school children. Why was there so much fearful and urgent conversation among adults, neighbours? Our parents did not want us to feel troubled, they did not enlighten us. We understood later that this was the day when war was declared and the terrible 2nd World War began. So many relied on themselves and their countries desperate efforts to develop armed strength – how few relied on God and were quietly confident God was in control.

We are convinced that even more fearful times await this godless world – we must build up our faith so we possess a spirit that fully relies on God. We must aim to develop the convictions Paul developed for the Corinthians. The last verse of this chapter says, “… we work with you for your joy, as you stand firm in your faith.”

-------

- DC

04 September 2011

2 Kings 9

Lamentations 5

2 Corinthians 3; 4

"BY THE MERCY OF GOD WE DO NOT LOSE HEART"

This statement by Paul in today’s readings [2 Corinthians 4:16] is achieved; at least the foundation is laid, by reading portions of God’s word every day. The effectiveness of this depends on the spirit with which we read. Most face the challenge each day of finding time to read; also time for meditation and reflection on what they have read and to ask, ‘Where am I at this moment in the sight of God?’

Many have times of difficulty and frustration to face and overcome. We note what Paul goes on to write; “for this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison” [2 Corinthians 4:17]. May we all have positive things in our daily experience which help to balance out the afflictions and irritations that challenge our “peace”.

We all experience things which tend to frustrate us, but Paul says, “by the mercy of God we do not lose heart” [2 Corinthians 4:16]. As we see his list of afflictions – ours are nothing! The reason why he did not lose heart was because he looked “not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal” [2 Corinthians 4:18]. Let’s follow his example. We read 4 verses earlier “knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will raise us also …” [2 Corinthians 4:14]

Sometimes that sense of “knowing” eludes us: the temptations and distractions are the clouds that blot out the “son”.

We have climbed a few mountains in our younger days and sometimes we climbed surrounded by clouds, but then, suddenly there is a break in the clouds and we realise both how much we have climbed, but greater still, we marvel at the vista of the distant scene that dramatically unfolds. Progress in the believer’s life is like that.

Jeremiah is an exception to the general experience of “light affliction” and as we complete reading his Lamentations today we note his lament; “…the joy of our hearts has ceased” [Lamentations 5:15] Yet Paul did not “lose heart” – he could write, “We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair … struck down, but not destroyed” [2 Corinthians 4:8,9] May we “not lose heart” no matter what tribulations may yet come in these “last days.”

-------

- DC

05 September 2011

2 Kings 10

Ezekiel 1

2 Corinthians 5; 6; 7

“LET US CLEANSE OURSELVES FROM EVERY DEFILEMENT”

As we read Paul’s 2nd letter to the Corinthians we note the words he uses to express the wonder of their position before God. Previously they had gone to pagan temples to worship idols but now, Paul tells them, you “are the temple of the living God” and directs their minds to what had been written long ago about this, saying, “as God said, I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; and I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty” [2 Corinthians 6:16-18]

All these words are quoted from Leviticus 26:12 and Isaiah 52:11. This is a lesson for all who claim to follow Christ – not to neglect this part of God’s word and the lessons of his earlier dealings with human beings. An even greater lesson follows for, after quoting these scriptures Paul next comments, “Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.” [2 Corinthians 7:1] Today, more than ever before, people abuse their bodies with defiling substances – at the same time their minds are corrupted by what they read and watch. But those whose aim in life is to bring “holiness to completion” must turn from all such things.

However our minds do not operate in a vacuum and if we fill them with godly thoughts, there is no room for the things that defile. Paul had reminded them [2 Corinthians 5:10] that “we must all appear at the judgement seat of Christ, so that each may receive what is due for what he has done” Consider also his words, “For the love of Christ controls us.” [2 Corinthians 5:14] “that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sakes died and was raised” [2 Corinthians 5:15]

-------

- DC

06 September 2011

2 Kings 11; 12

Ezekiel 2

2 Corinthians 8; 9

"WHOEVER SOWS BOUNTIFULLY WILL ALSO REAP BOUNTIFULLY"

Throughout the Old Testament, especially from the time of the Law of Moses, tithing became an established principle for God’s nation. But we must remember that this was a law for a nation. When the nation chose to have kings there were additional financial burdens.

The situation with Christianity was quite different, believers became a spiritual nation [1 Peter 2:9] but there is not even a hint of a law of tithing in the church, although many sections of the “Christian” movements today act as though there is.

Our chapters in 2nd Corinthians today [2 Corinthians 8; 9] make it plain that all giving by believers was “of their own freewill” [2 Corinthians 8:3] and that giving to the needs of others is an “act of grace” [2 Corinthians 8:6] by the giver. Paul comments that it is “a matter of fairness (that) your abundance at the present time should supply their need” [2 Corinthians 8:13,14] and Paul reflects back to how God oversaw life in the wilderness journeys under Moses when “whoever gathered much had nothing left over, and whoever gathered little had no lack” [2 Corinthians 8:15]

The climax to Paul’s reasoning comes in 2 Corinthians 9:6-7, “The point is this: who ever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he (or she) has made up (their) mind, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”

May we all reap bountifully, may this be Wonderfully the case when Christ returns. Remember the Proverb, “the one who sows righteousness gets a sure reward.” [Proverbs 11:18]: or as Paul puts it in writing to the Galatians, “let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season we will reap if we do not give up” [Galatians 6:9]

-------

- DC

07 September 2011

2 Kings 13

Ezekiel 3

2 Corinthians 10; 11

"THE MEEKNESS AND GENTLENESS OF CHRIST"

This world is full of distractions; there have never been so many! Especially for the young; at every twist and turn of daily life there are “voices” and “words” clamouring for attention. These “voices” might come via iPods and the like, mobile phones or whenever they turn on their Computer.

Paul’s words to the Corinthians we read today can in some ways be applied to the present situation. The church there had been established for some years and the believers were being distracted by some who were full of their own self importance and creating problems. He writes, “I Paul, myself entreat you, by the meekness and gentleness of Christ” [2 Corinthians 10:1]. This was the attitude Christ had toward his genuine followers, but not toward his jealous opponents. Paul saw them as being more like the serpent in the Garden of Eden, which reasoned that God did not mean what he said! They were blind to the fact that his words were from God. [John 8:28,38,47]

It is the same today: God’s words get wilfully distorted. Paul writes, “I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough” [2 Corinthians 11:3,4]

Tragically the world has seen so many different gospels over the centuries, it is only the regular reading of God’s word, so wonderfully preserved, that provides the foundation to truly walk in Christ’s footsteps – at the same time we must have the spirit of “meekness and gentleness” whenever we seek to “destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God” [2 Corinthians 10:5] Finally, note how this chapter ends, “it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.” May the Lord commend you on that day for being faithful to his word, turning from this world’s distractions to daily read and meditate on his word as the essential foundation to your life.

-------

- DC

08 September 2011

2 Kings 14

Ezekiel 4

2 Corinthians 12; 13

"THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE HOLY SPIRIT"

What is fellowship? Essentially it means a partnership, a participation together with a common aim. Those who are in a partnership team together with a common purpose. Our reading of the conclusion to Paul’s second letter to the Corinthians provoked this line of thinking. His final words were “the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.”

This verse is telling us that believers, in experiencing “the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ” and also “the love of God” – both of which are stated in this final verse, also experience “the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.” A degree of meditation is needed for our minds to fully grasp what these words illustrate. It is a message for believers at Corinth to aim for perfect harmony after all the disharmony they had experienced. Note 2 Corinthians 13:11, “Finally, brothers (and sisters footnote) rejoice, agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.” And how is God with believers? Through his spirit, as we have commented previously, God’s spirit possesses believers.

Paul made a significant point in the first chapter of this epistle, “it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal in us and given us his Spirit in our hearts …” [2 Corinthians 1:22] Men of God knew this long ago. David wrote, “O LORD, you have searched me and known me … you discern my thought from afar. You search out my path … and are acquainted with all my ways … Where shall I flee from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?” [Psalm 139:1-3; 139:7]

Paul told the people of Athens “that they should seek (the unknown) God … he is actually not far from each one of us, for ‘in him we live and move and have our being’” [Acts 17:27,28] So, with these verses, we understand more fully the words of Scripture on the involvement of our Lord Jesus, his God and our God, and the Spirit of God in our lives. Let us rejoice and live with confidence in that we have “the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.”

-------

- DC

09 September 2011

2 Kings 15

Ezekiel 5

Luke 1

"THAT WE SHOULD BE SAVED FROM OUR ENEMIES"

Today we started reading the gospel of Luke. This is the Gospel that starts with an account of the father of John the Baptist, a priest in the Temple, who is made deaf and dumb because he questioned the words of the angel Gabriel who appeared to him as he was ministering in the Temple.

It was only after John was born that he was able to speak again. At that time he was “filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied” [Luke 1:67] and said, among other things, that their newborn son “will go before the Lord to prepare his ways, to give knowledge of salvation … “ [Luke 1:76,77] This happened! But we then noted what else he said that hasn’t happened yet!

John repeated the words of the “prophets from of old, that we should be saved from our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us” [Luke 1:70,71] The reason why these words were not fulfilled then was because they rejected their Messiah. Today there is great hatred of the Jews, now that they are back in the land, more hatred it seems, than existed then!

Now notice the vision that the Holy Spirit gave to John’s father of the time when “we, being delivered from the hand of our enemies, might serve him without fear, in holiness and righteousness” [Luke 1:74,75] Again, words that await fulfilment – and only today is the scene in the Holy Land such that fulfilment seems imminent.

Finally, come to Luke’s 3rd chapter where we read that the preaching of John Baptist includes the following prophecy about the work of Jesus, “His winnowing fork is in his hand to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.” [Luke 3:17]

The fulfilment of this also seems imminent! The world seems to be full of “chaff” – modern communication making this more evident – but this communication also makes the final ingathering possible [Matthew 22:10]. May all who read this be among the wheat.

-------

- DC

10 September 2011

2 Kings 16

Ezekiel 6

Luke 2

"THAT THE THOUGHTS FROM MANY HEARTS MAY BE REVEALED"

What thoughts are provoked in your mind as you read the Bible? We keep many of our thoughts to ourselves, especially if they are “disturbing” thoughts. Today we read in Luke 2 of something that was to happen “so that the thoughts from many hearts may be revealed” [Luke 2:35] Who said this to whom?

The man who said it is only mentioned in this chapter of the Bible. His “name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel (i.e. the Messiah), and the Holy Spirit was upon him. And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. And he came … into the temple, and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the Law, he took him up in his arms and blessed God and said,

“‘Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation … a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to your people Israel’” [Luke 2:25-32] A remarkable thing to say: especially that this baby would be “a light to the Gentiles.” The Jews saw themselves as superior to all other races - a Jew of that era, for example would not sit and eat with a non Jew [Acts 10:28], they had virtually ignored many Old Testament references to the Gentiles. Only an extraordinary set of circumstances led to Simeon’s prophecy being fulfilled.

Then Simeon “said to Mary his mother ‘Behold this child is appointed for the fall and rising again of many in Israel, and for a sign that is opposed (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), so that the thoughts from many hearts may be revealed’” [Luke 2:34-35] What heart searchings there were in the years that followed, especially Mary’s as she stood by his cross. The teaching and life of Jesus Christ has challenged the thinking and actions of human beings ever since. Those who ignore him will find he will ignore them on that future day, now so close, when he comes again. We must all ask ourselves what thoughts does that babe in the arms of Simeon 2,000 years ago, provoke in my heart? Those thoughts must lead to actions of one kind or another.

-------

- DC

11 September 2011

2 Kings 17

Ezekiel 7

Luke 3

"WHO WARNED YOU TO FLEE FROM THE WRATH TO COME"

What would you think if someone said the above words to you? Well – who said them – and who was he talking to? Our Luke 3 reading today tells us that John the Baptist “said therefore to the crowds that came out to be baptised by him, ‘You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?’” [Luke 3:7] What a way to invite your hearers to be baptised!

When we compare this with Matthew’s Gospel [Matthew 3:7], we see that this comment was provoked “when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism” Luke tells us that John’s next words were, “Bear fruits in keeping with repentance” which we could ‘translate’ as – live a way that shows you really are repentant.

John’s next words are especially significant – they show he is aware of the subtlety of thinking the human mind is capable of. He says, “And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father” [Luke 3:8]. What is the essential point of this comment?

It is the subtlety of human self deception leading them to excuse themselves from doing deeds, from productively working in the Lord’s vineyard, but instead, indulging in a spirit of self satisfaction because of the blessing of their heritage. A modern equivalent could be, ‘I have read all the writings of the pioneer brethren and I have a well marked Bible’.

Bearing fruit is a lifelong work. Think of all the preparation work in tending that which we have planted, keeping it free from disease, well manured and watered – before it bears fruit. Paul is the ultimate example of a worker in the Lord’s vineyard, Finally, what about “the wrath to come”? John was not talking of physically fleeing away but of having confident trust in the Lord’s guiding care – as we read in so many of the Psalms of David,

Today, as the world remembers its horror at events 10 years ago we think of Isaiah’s prophecy, “in the day of great slaughter, when the towers fall” [isaiah 30:25] and see the point and power of the words of the prophet Zephaniah’s words in Zephaniah 2:2-3.

-------

- DC

12 September 2011

2 Kings 18

Ezekiel 8

Luke 4

“THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME BECAUSE …”

We read today in Luke 4 of Jesus going into the synagogue and reading from the prophet Isaiah and then telling them they were witnessing the fulfilment of the words he was quoting. The quotation was “The Spirit of the LORD is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.”

Good news means the gospel, but why the reference to the “poor”? Well, the Sadducees and other religious leaders were much more interested in the rich who could put much money into the Temple coffers. Jesus had worthier priorities and “the poor heard him gladly” – and, according to Matthew 5:3 Jesus also said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit.” Isaiah had then written and Jesus quoted his words, really God’s words, “to proclaim liberty to the captives” How was that being fulfilled? Maybe they thought it was to free them from Roman rule, but Jesus meant that they were captives to sin! His life in one sense was dedicated as a sacrificial offering to free them (and us) from that “captivity.”

Then he quoted “recovery of sight to the blind” and while he did cure the blind, the even greater work was to cure spiritual blindness. Turn up and read 2 Peter 1:5-11 and note especially his comment “whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind.” Do we need curing from this kind of blindness?

But Jesus, in quoting from Isaiah 61, stopped in the middle of verse 2. Why? The first half of that verse says, “to proclaim the year (time) of the LORD’s favour” That was the message he brought, and still brings to us, the NOW was the time for both them and for us to decide whether we accept the favour (grace) that is held out to us.

But soon, it will be time for the second half of the verse, “and the day of vengeance of our God” We can see why he stopped short and did not quote that. As this world becomes more and more like the days of Noah, the time is getting closer for the door to be shut – and the day of vengeance of our God to begin. On which side of the door will you be?

-------

- DC

13 September 2011

2 Kings 19

Ezekiel 9

Luke 5

"PUT A MARK ON THE FOREHEADS OF ... "

Our readings in Ezekiel continue to show us the anger of God with the extreme sinfulness of most of the people of Jerusalem. The people that Ezekiel was with by the river (canal) Chebar were living in the hope of hearing good news from Jerusalem that soon they would be returning from their exile to their homeland. Ezekiel knew there could be no good news. The LORD had become extremely angry because of the godlessness of his people. This is illustrated in many chapters in Jeremiah. Yesterday’s chapter in Ezekiel [Ezekiel 8] ended with God’s words, “Therefore I will act in wrath. My eye will not spare, nor will I have pity. And though they cry in my ears with a loud voice, I will not hear them.”

Today’s chapter tells us that “the glory of the God of Israel had gone up from the cherub on which it rested to the threshold of the house (Temple)” [Ezekiel 9:3]. We understand this to mean that the glory of God had ceased to dwell between the cherubim in the Holy of holies, and we will read some dramatic imagery of wording tomorrow of the departure of God’s glory.

At this point the LORD calls “to the man clothed in linen”, most evidently a particular angel and “said to him, ‘Pass through the city, through Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of those who sigh and groan over all the abominations that are committed in it.” [Ezekiel 9:4]. These are those who were distressed at the ungodliness that surrounded them and are to be saved out of its destruction. As to the others “Your eye shall not spare and you shall show no pity. Kill old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women, but touch no one on whom is the mark.” [Ezekiel 9:6]

There is a clear parallel in this ancient tragedy with the pouring out of God’s anger on today’s godless world when “the angels gather his elect” when “one is taken and the other left” and when “the door is shut” on those who have no oil in their lamps. Let us deserve to have the angels put a mark on our foreheads. The more we read God’s word the more we will feel distress in our hearts at all the godlessness that surrounds us today.

-------

- DC

14 September 2011

2 Kings 20

Ezekiel 10

Luke 6

"IF YOU LOVE THOSE WHO LOVE YOU ..."

It is natural isn’t it to love those who love you? But what is the point Jesus is making? It is an important one and one of many points he makes in our reading of Luke 6 today. Look carefully at the flow of connected thoughts from Luke 6:20 as “he lifted up his eyes on his disciples and said …”. We especially noted from Luke 6:32 “If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount.”

Then comes the “crunch” line, “But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. Be merciful as your Father is merciful.”

Jesus was warning against being self-centred and only associating with those who are the same. God is not self centred, he sees what we can call “the whole picture” and those who take on the name of his son must aim to see life as God sees it! That is a primary reason for the regular reading of his word.

Jesus pronounces four woes against those who are self centred in their attitudes. He said, “But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation. Woe to you who are full now, for you shall be hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep. Woe to you when all people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.” [Luke 6:24-26]. Jesus has no time for those whose aim in life is to have as much fun and food as they can – and to be popular, the centre of attention.

But those who see life as God sees it will, says Jesus, “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, for behold your reward is great in heaven” [Luke 6:23] because that is where their treasure is [Luke 18:22] and when Jesus comes again, and how close that could be, then the words in the last chapter of the Bible will be fulfilled, “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense (i.e. reward) with me, to repay every one for what he (or she) has done.” [Revelation 22:12]

-------

- DC

15 September 2011

2 Kings 21

Ezekiel 11

Luke 7

“I KNOW THE THINGS THAT COME INTO YOUR MIND”

Our reading in Ezekiel causes us to think about how God works; the unlimited power he has to know all that is happening; more than that, to know all that men and women are thinking! And of course Jesus had the same ability; if you were not on the side of Jesus it must have been unnerving as you were forced to sense this as is evident in our reading of Luke 7 today.

In today’s Ezekiel reading [Ezekiel 11] we read [Ezekiel 11:5] how the spirit of the LORD fell on him and he is told to say “Thus says the LORD: So you think O house of Israel, for I know the things that come into your mind.” Again in Ezekiel 11:8, “You have feared the sword, and I will bring the sword upon you.” God knows our attitudes; he looks into our hearts to see if the faith we profess is genuine – recall Hebrews 10:22 “Let us draw near with a true heart , in full assurance of faith.”

Ezekiel becomes very distressed at the revelation of God’s horrific judgements that are about to come on Israel and he falls on his face saying [Ezekiel 11:13] “Ah Lord GOD! Will you make a full end of the remnant of Israel?” God responds to that plea by saying three things.

The first stage is to be [Ezekiel 11:16] “a sanctuary to them, for a while, in the countries where they had gone.” We conclude this predicts the synagogue system that developed in the centuries that followed and was in full operation at the time of Christ. The synagogues were the first base in the preaching of Paul and others in spreading the gospel message.

The second stage is to be seen now for in Ezekiel 11:17 we read, “I will gather you from the peoples and assemble you out of the countries.” That is far more than just Babylonia.

The third stage is still future – but how close are we to it? “I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them.” [Ezekiel 11:19] We long for this to be fulfilled, but we must take careful note of the warning in Ezekiel 11:21 “But as for those whose heart goes after detestable things … I will bring their deeds upon their own heads.” But this is true of all humans, not just the Jews! Could it be true of any one of us? Remember God says, “I know the things that come into your mind”

-------

- DC

16 September 2011

2 Kings 22; 23

Ezekiel 12

Luke 8

"WHERE IS YOUR FAITH?"

What do we have faith in today? Certainly not the Government – of whatever kind it may be! Our doctor? It is good to find one we can have a good deal of confidence in – especially if our health is uncertain. While we can speak of having faith in people or things, we know that this is vastly different to having “a true heart in full assurance of faith.” [Hebrews 10:22]

Our readings yesterday and today, [Luke 8; 9] mention 3 people Jesus commended for possessing faith. But there was a fourth mention which caught our eye today, it is the question to his disciples, “Where is your faith?” [Luke 8:35] Jesus is asleep in the boat, “a windstorm came down on the lake and they were filling with water and were in danger” [Luke 8:23] In a panic the disciples wake him, “Master, Master, we are perishing” At his command “the wind and the raging waves … ceased … He said to them, “Where is your faith.”

They had witnessed many miracles, we read yesterday for example, that he stopped a funeral procession and brought a widow’s only son back to life. How fickle us humans can be, we who say we have faith! But we can sympathize with the disciples, their training in serving Christ was not yet complete.

We reflected on this situation with the storm on the lake. We will soon read (in Luke 21) the prediction of Jesus that one day there will be “on the earth distress of nations because of the roaring of the sea and the waves, people fainting with fear and foreboding …” [Luke 21:25,26] This may well be both a “roaring of the sea” in a literal sense following the prophesied “great earthquake” - linked with Armageddon [Revelation 16:16-18) – but the “distress of nations” will almost certainly have many other causes. Will those experiencing this hear the words of Jesus “Where is your faith?” There are words some of us sing –

The rough winds may wrestle –

Our God will perform

With Christ in the vessel

We smile at the storm - Will we?

-------

- DC

17 September 2011

2 Kings 24; 25

Ezekiel 13

Luke 9

"WHEN THE LORD HAS NOT SENT THEM"

There is a parallel between today’s readings which complete the 2nd book of Kings and what we read in Ezekiel: they are both about the same period, the end and destruction of the wonderful Kingdom David and Solomon had established; but it is written from two different aspects.

The people of God’s kingdom had descended into spiritual depravity and we cannot help but see parallels with today. Ezekiel was a Priest who went into captivity with King Jehoiachin in the year 597BC [2 Kings 24:14-16]. Eleven years later Jerusalem was destroyed. [2 Kings 25:2]. It was during this period that Ezekiel is sending messages back to those still in Jerusalem, and telling those who were with him in exile that their dreams of Jerusalem’s return to prosperity and of returning would not be fulfilled – and why!

His messages are to counteract the misleading pronouncements of those who falsely claim to be prophets of the LORD. Yesterday’s reading [Ezekiel 12] finished with the message “say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: None of my words will be delayed any longer, but the word that I speak will be performed, declares the Lord GOD’.”

Ezekiel 13 starts with Ezekiel being told to “say to those who prophesy from their own hearts: ‘Hear the word of the LORD’” [Ezekiel 13:2], then, that the LORD says, “Woe to the foolish prophets who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing!” [Ezekiel 13:3]. The ‘punch line’ that follows is – “They say ‘declares the LORD, when the LORD has not sent them and yet they expect him to fulfil their word” [Ezekiel 13:6]. We fear there is a parallel with preaching today that God is totally loving and forgiving regardless of behaviour and their future in heaven is assured, yet such who preach this do so “from their own hearts”.

We have one big advantage today, the whole world has God’s word in their own language and those who are not satisfied with the messages they hear (if they choose to hear them at all) can check up and read God’s words for themselves. It is a gold mine of God’s messages that all can ‘dig’ and bring to the surface – providing nourishing daily food for human minds. Those who ‘dig’ with the aim of becoming teachers of others need to heed the warning of James, “Not many of you should become teachers … for … we who teach will be judged with greater strictness” [James 3:1]

-------

- DC

18 September 2011

1 Chronicles 1

Ezekiel 14

Luke 10

“TURN AWAY FROM YOUR IDOLS”

There are many idols in the world today. Modern means of instant communication have made it possible to promote news about all kinds of things, especially what people are doing and achieving in sports and entertainment. The best achievers are put on a pedestal – and many admire and idolize them. These people make enormous amounts of money, especially entertainers and sports stars. All the best footballers in the AFL become millionaires. Pop stars become multi-millionaires, even billionaires! They are adored (worshipped?) by idolizing fans.

Our Ezekiel reading [Ezekiel 14] is all about idols. All the nations, apart from Israel, worshipped idols instead of the one true God. Why? The way they worshipped idols appealed to human nature. There were temple prostitutes in attendance in the temples of these idols, other orgies took place there; it appealed greatly to baser human instincts.

God tells Ezekiel to “speak to them and say … anyone … who takes his idols into his heart and sets the stumbling block of his iniquity before his face and yet comes to the prophet, I the LORD will answer him …Thus says the Lord GOD: Repent and turn away from your idols, and turn away your faces from all your abominations” [Ezekiel 14:4,6] He adds, “anyone … who separates himself from me … I will set my face against that person” [Ezekiel 14:7,8]

Today, God surely takes the same attitude to those who turn from him and allow godless attitudes to thrive in their minds, but then on Sunday come to worship and sing hymns … we cannot expect God’s attitude to be any different to what it was in the days of Ezekiel. Those who today have come out of this godless world can see this most clearly and fully appreciate the words of Paul, “You were slaves of sin … but what fruit were you getting at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? … become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life.” [Romans 6:20-22] “Turn away from your idols.”

-------

- DC

19 September 2011

1 Chronicles 2

Ezekiel 15

Luke 11

“BUT INSIDE YOU ARE FULL OF …”

Our Luke reading today features Jesus’ criticism of the religious leaders. They were obsessed with unimportant ritual. They had elaborated on the straightforward commandments of Moses about washing hands and making sure cups and vessels were clean. What really motivated them to do this?

The ritual they had created was more important to them than the reason for the commandment. The lesson Jesus draws from this failure is one we must value. He says, “You Pharisees cleanse the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness” [Luke 11:39]. The outward appearance, what other people saw, was most important to them. They did things which would be seen by others, creating the image that they were righteous, good living people.

The way politics is often played out today for the media, provides us with a 21st Century parallel. Jesus went on to comment that they gave a tithe (a tenth of the value) of all the little things [Luke 11:42] but “neglect justice and the love of God.” Let us beware; spirituality can so easily be just a façade. Some churches are a bad odour today when the façade collapses.

God’s anger built up against that generation; they had seen all the wonders of His Son’s miracles. Our generation has learnt far more than any other about the intricate miracles of what God did at the creation of the world; things that had previously been beyond human sight. Yet, more and more people have locked their minds into believing there is no God!!

However, those who are fully convinced there is One God and that the Bible is his message must make sure that this conviction is on the inside! This is where God looks! What Peter wrote is so meaningful; “let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.” [1 Peter 3:4]. This surely applies to both men and women, make sure it applies to you.

-------

- DC

20 September 2011

1 Chronicles 3

Ezekiel 16

Luke 12

"STAY DRESSED FOR ACTION AND KEEP YOUR LAMPS BURNING"

Our readings today in Ezekiel 16 and Luke 12 are full of parables. God, through Ezekiel, and our Lord Jesus, are trying to make people think about the motives of God in causing events between nations. Such events of course affected all individuals in those nations. We especially noted the short and powerful personal messages given in the telling of those stories.

Jesus knew that many of his hearers would face an increasing time of crisis as the time of the destruction of the nation grew closer. Remember how he wept over Jerusalem and later told them to ”weep for yourselves and your children” [Luke 23:28]. Would Jesus weep over the world today? He knows what lies ahead; the angels must be getting ready to “gather his elect” [Mark 13:27]. Jesus also gave messages of encouragement to help them face up to the coming crisis. Those who really believed would remember his words. But some of his words foreshadow an even greater time of crisis for the whole world – our time.

There is a parable about a rich man who plans for a long and relaxing retirement. He thinks to himself, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry” [Luke 12:19] He refuses to consider the role of God in his life, so many are like that today.

Our Government in Australia is priding itself on its compulsory superannuation scheme established over 20 years ago. The mass of money now created has been significant in the present stability in the economy here. But how do you “store” money these days? What is “money” today – it is no longer gold and silver! Jesus says, “all the nations of the world seek after these things … instead seek his (God’s) kingdom and all these things will be added to you … where your treasure is there will your heart be also” [Luke 12:34]

Those who listen and act having their “treasure” with God [Luke 18:22] know that it will be “your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom” [Luke 12:32] Then come the most important (for us) words of all– “be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect” [Luke 12:40] therefore “stay dressed for action and keep your lamps burning, and be like men (and women) who are waiting for their Master to come” [Luke 12:35,36] Daily Bible reading and prayer is essential to provide oil for those lamps.

-------

- DC

21 September 2011

1 Chronicles 4

Ezekiel 17

Luke 13; 14

"MAKE YOURSELVES A NEW HEART AND A NEW SPIRIT"

The message of Ezekiel we read today is powerful and pointed and has application to every generation in every nation. It is Ezekiel 18 and it bluntly states the declaration of God that “all souls are mine … the soul who sins shall die” [Ezekiel 18:4]. We often quote this as one of the verses which illustrate that there is no such thing as an immortal soul; soul means the whole person, a “person” or “life” as many modern versions render the Hebrew word nephesh.

Now note the really meaningful message for us! It is God’s attitude to sin and readiness to forgive. God says, “Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord GOD, and not rather that he (or she) should turn from his way and live?” [Ezekiel 18:23]. The thrust of Ezekiel’s message from God is the way the people are refusing to recognise God’s abhorrence of their sinful ways. Even worse is that they are blaming God, saying he is being unfair in what is happening to them.

We read, “Yet you say ‘The way of the Lord is not just. ‘Hear now, O house of Israel: Is my way not just? Is it not your ways that are not just?’ ” [Ezekiel 18:25] There is a direct parallel to this in our chapters in Luke and the “unjust” thinking of the Pharisees who criticise Jesus for healing on the Sabbath – “they could not reply” [Luke 14:6] to his point that they went to the aid of their animals on the Sabbath day when it was necessary [Luke 14:4, 5] and they were unjust in criticising him.

When Christ, like “the Master of the house has … shut the door” [Luke 13:25] then they will clamour to enter (the kingdom) and “begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in your presence and you taught in our streets.’ But he will say, ‘I tell you, I do not know where you come from. Depart from me …” [Luke 13:26,27] It is not sufficient to have contact with Jesus and hear his teaching – it must result in real belief resulting in a change in us.

Ezekiel puts this in a very meaningful way, “Cast away all the transgressions … and make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! …. I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Lord GOD; so turn, and live.” [Ezekiel 18:31,32] Let us do the same.

-------

- DC

22 September 2011

1 Chronicles 5

Ezekiel 18

Luke 15

"THIS MY SON WAS DEAD AND IS ALIVE AGAIN"

Today we read one of the most remembered parables of Jesus. It is usually called the ‘parable of the prodigal son,’ but it occurs to us that it would be equally, if not more appropriate to call it ‘the parable of the forgiving father.’ The key to the primary purpose of Christ’s parables is usually in their final verse, in this one we read the father’s words, “It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.” [Luke 15:32]

The wonder of the father’s forgiveness is most fully brought out in the part that tells us that when the wayward son decides to return home and starts on his journey, “while he was still a long way off his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.” [Luke 15:20] Such is the son’s contrition he protests his unworthiness, he had just wanted to be like “a hired servant.” The father’s celebration continues, he “said to his servants, ‘Bring quickly the best robe … bring the fattened calf … let us eat and celebrate. For this my son was dead, and is alive again, he was lost …” [Luke 15:22, 23].

We are only truly alive when we are with Christ! How great the Father’s love for those who commit their lives to him – and show this through baptism. We meditate on what Peter wrote, “I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder … the Lord is not slow to fulfil his promise as some men count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.” [2 Peter 3:1,9] The context appears to say that the Lord is not willing that any of you should perish. As in his parable, he is on the lookout for lost and straying sheep and goes to great lengths to find them.

He helps his sheep to overcome the world, and he who overcomes, i.e “The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life.” [Revelation 3:5] There are more distractions and attractions than ever in this very godless world, enticing sheep to stray; there is even“hatred” by many of anything that threatens to prick their conscience. Again the words of Jesus come to mind, “you will be hated by all … but the one who endures to the end will be saved.” [Matthew 10:22]

-------

- DC

23 September 2011

1 Chronicles 6

Ezekiel 19

Luke 16

"YOU CANNOT SERVE GOD AND MONEY"

Today’s chapter of Luke [Luke 16] contains two highly interesting parables which challenge our understanding. As with all Christ’s parables, in seeking to correctly understand them, it is helpful to start at the end! Read the “punch line” to be sure of the right perspective of the message it aims to convey. If we work backwards we more easily comprehend the lesson this story teaches; well this is certainly the case in today’s 2 parables.

“There was a rich man who had a manager” [Luke 16:1]. The rich man is God. Those whom God had put in charge of the spiritual well being of his people had failed in their responsibility. Their minds had concentrated on their wealth and resultant prestige. When the church came dramatically into existence and grew rapidly, their position as the old order religious leaders was redundant. They had been dishonest spiritual stewards for God: they had given top priority to their own prestige and material possessions. The parable is cynical about their success in this; from a spiritual perspective they were sons of darkness.

They did their best to preserve what they had; they “sold” their “conscience” to their Roman masters, being “wise” in the ways of the world. They were “shrewd in dealing with their own generation” [Luke 16:8] and they are cynically commended for this. It is impossible to belong to both “light” and “darkness” – only in the light are the “true riches” to be found.

Luke 16:13 is the powerful final lesson of the parable. No one “can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.” Those who make money their “master” and seek self preservation through serving it – came to a dramatic end in AD70 as Jerusalem was destroyed: their “eternal dwellings” was in their tombs. In contrast, “the one who is faithful in very little, is also faithful in much”. To them the “rich man” will entrust the “true riches” [Luke 16:11]. Making money the purpose of your existence is always uncertain and totally so in the “last days” [James 5:1-3]. Let us make sure we are faithful in “the true riches.”

-------

- DC

24 September 2011

1 Chronicles 7

Ezekiel 20

Luke 17

"AS THE LIGHTNING FLASHES AND LIGHTS UP THE SKY"

We wonder why the Pharisees asked Jesus “when the kingdom of God would come?” [Luke 17:20] The reply of Jesus implies they were interested to know what “signs” would indicate its approach; but Jesus replied, “The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed.” Shortly after he warned his disciples, “they will say to you, ‘Look, there’ or ‘Look here!’ do not go out and follow them.” [Luke 17:23]. And we have seen, even this year, of people gathering in expectation on a certain day.

It will be impossible to miss the fact that Christ has returned, for as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to another, so will the Son of Man be in his day,” [Luke 17:24] Jesus then compares that day to the days of Noah. Life was proceeding as normal, people were “eating and drinking and marrying and being given in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark” [Luke 17:27]. Noah is described by Peter as a preacher, “a herald of righteousness” [2 Peter 2:5] but they ignored him, although they must have marvelled (scoffed?) at the massive ark he and his sons were building! Maybe some helped – especially if there were wages to be had. Many make money printing and selling Bibles today! Maybe some thought, if what he says proves to right, we will get on board when it rains and does not stop.

Notice what it says in Genesis about “the day” of the flood. Life was proceeding as normal. Nothing happened the day Noah entered the ark and the door was shut! “Noah and his sons and his wife and his sons’ wives with him went into the ark … and after seven days the waters of the flood came upon the earth.” [Genesis 7:6,10] We can compare this with the blunt comment of Jesus in Luke, “Remember Lot’s wife” [Luke 17:32] It was too late when the floods were rising – the door to the Ark was shut.

Ponder the threefold comment Jesus makes about “One will be taken and the other left” [Luke 17:35]. Human instincts toward self preservation will be of no avail on that day, only those with “the full assurance of faith” [Hebrews 10:22] will be ready when the angels come as lightning lights up the sky. This may be literal, or it could be symbolic of dramatic events beyond human imagining, such as some in Japan experienced earlier this year. Let us “remember Lot’s wife.”

-------

- DC

25 September 2011

1 Chronicles 8

Ezekiel 21

Luke 18

“A PARABLE … THAT THEY OUGHT ALWAYS TO PRAY AND NOT LOSE HEART”

In this parable, at the start of Luke 18, Jesus illustrates the importance of persistence in prayer. We must become increasingly conscious that God’s power is such that he sees and knows all. David puts it this way, “O LORD … you discern my thoughts from afar.” [Psalm 139:2]. This parable challenges us to consider answers to prayer. Do we seek to know God’s will for us, or are we only thinking of our own wants and desires?

Early this month we read of the traumas in Paul’s life. How urgent his prayers must have been in the many difficult situations he endured, but his Lord led him through them all. Soon we will read of Jesus, in earnest prayer to His Father: he does not get the answer he seeks, but the Father’s will must be done. [Luke 22:41,42]

Our way of thinking might cause us to wonder why the Lord led Paul into all these difficulties; but then we look at the outcome and realize that this is how faith grows. So in this parable we see the woman’s faith was, in the end, rewarded. The ‘punch line’ of the parable is that we should “always pray and not lose heart” [Luke 18:7]

The climax is a question [Luke 18:8], “when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?” Will he find those who really know the value of prayer, who pray to the uttermost for a faith that grows as the world is falling apart around them? We must constantly strive to be among those who do not lose heart?

Now look at the next parable; it is about two different types of men who went into the Temple to pray. One was telling the Almighty what he did, but of the one whose prayer was heard, Jesus says, he “went down to his house justified,” and makes the point, “the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” [Luke 18:14]. Yes, we ought always to pray – in humility of spirit - even more as we sense our Lord is about to come. May we be among “his elect who cry to him day and night” [Luke 18:7].

-------

- DC