TFTBR - May 2011

Resource Manager

26 May 2011

Joshua 12

Isaiah 16

2 Timothy 2

"IF WE HAVE DIED WITH HIM, WE WILL ALSO LIVE WITH HIM"

Among the believers in the First Century there was in circulation what is called the ‘sayings of the faithful’. There was no opportunity for the great majority to learn to read and write so certain sayings were memorized. Some persons with exceptional abilities of memory are said to have memorized all the Psalms. One can be surprised when meeting some so called ‘illiterate’ people in India today as to how well they have trained their memory.

Paul includes one of the ‘sayings’ that was in circulation in the letter we read today. First he writes, “I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they may obtain the salvation that that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory” [2 Timothy 2:10] and then quotes this saying. The first part is, “If we have died with him, we will also live with him.”

We die with him when we are baptised. Going down under the water and then coming out again is a symbol of his death and resurrection – we are acknowledging that his death was for us. The saying then says, we must “endure” - and this reflects the words of Jesus, “the one who endures to the end will be saved.” [Matthew 10:22] Jesus also said that “the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life” [Matthew 7:14]

Next, the saying that Paul is quoting has these words; “if we endure we will also reign with him”. Wonderful – beyond our imagining! But the saying concludes with the negative picture of those who fail. “if we deny him, he will also deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful – for he cannot deny himself” [2 Timothy 2:12, 13] When Jesus had cause to say to his hearers, “O you of little faith” [Matthew 6:30] he never gave up and thousands were prepared to die with him after he had died for them.

Tragically as Paul completes this epistle he mentions one who had earlier been named as a “fellow labourer” [Philemon 1:24] but now he has to write of him, “for Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me …” [2 Timothy 4:10]. What is there in the world today to “love”? !!

May all those who read these lines, “die” with Christ in baptism, if they have not already done so, and then “endure”, helped by their daily reading and meditation on the divine word which plays an essential role in aiding us to endure to the end.

-------

- DC

27 May 2011

Joshua 13

Isaiah 17; 18

2 Timothy 3; 4

"DAMASCUS WILL CEASE TO BE A CITY"

Several prophecies in Isaiah attracted our attention as we read from that book today. Damascus was the capital of Syria in those days – and still is today. We recall reading in the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE that Damascus is the oldest most continuously inhabited city in the world and there is no evidence that it was ever destroyed like other cities.

But Isaiah is caused by God to write, “An oracle concerning Damascus. Behold, Damascus will cease to be a city and will become a heap of ruins” [isaiah 17:1] We conclude that the fulfilment of this prophecy is likely to coincide with the climax of the ages, which, the way events are moving, may not be that far distant!

In reading parts of Isaiah we saw that some of the chapters should be broken into smaller sections; after all the division into chapters was made when the Bible was first printed. As you read you can see where the different revelations the prophet received suddenly change. Often we have the phrase, “In that day” to indicate some distinct events to occur at a particular time. Isaiah 17:9 starts with “in that day” and from there to the end of the chapter is described “a day” (meaning ‘time’) when the enemies of Israel are judged. We read, “this is the portion of those who loot us, and the lot of those who plunder us.” [isaiah 17:14] and while it had an application in the past, it surely has a final application, most likely at the time Damascus becomes “a heap of ruins.”

Isaiah 17:3 is about a time in the future when “the remnant of Syria will be like the glory of the children of Israel, declares the LORD of hosts.” Syria is linked with Assyria and tomorrow’s chapter [isaiah 19] ends with a intriguing picture [isaiah 19:23] of a highway to be built “in that day” – the final verses telling us, “In that day Israel will be the third with Egypt and Assyria, a blessing in the midst of the earth, whom the LORD of hosts has blessed, saying, ‘Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel my inheritance”

This is the time of the resurrection when the faithful of all nations will be there – for surely over the millennia there have been many in Egypt and Assyria (which includes Babylon) who have known and served the true God. Let us live so that we are also there.

-------

- DC

28 May 2011

Joshua 14

Isaiah 19

Titus 1; 2; 3

"THEY PROFESS TO KNOW GOD, BUT ... "

Titus becomes a special helper of Paul; he uses him to stay in places where the new converts need guidance in growing up in Christ. Today we read all 3 chapters of a letter Paul sent to him: there are only 46 verses in all, but there are many verses which are meaningful for us in the 21st Century.

Titus has the responsibility in Crete to “appoint elders in every town” [Titus 1:5] They must be “above reproach” and not “greedy for gain” [Titus 1:7]. Sadly we see examples from time to time these days of those who use positions of leadership in various churches as a means of making themselves financially comfortable – sometimes very much so!

There should be no thought of leadership among elders, but instead, of teamwork. The disciples learnt this the hard way, being rebuked by our Lord several times during his ministry. Paul writes, “to the pure, all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled. They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works.” [Titus 1:15, 16]

Do we profess to know God? Of course we do, yet that profession may be only on the surface, there must be substance to that profession of belief in all the ways that we think and reason. In the 2nd chapter Paul gives advice to both the older and younger believers in Crete, to both men and women; then he states, “for the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self controlled, upright and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope …” [Titus 2:11-13]

The grace of God, his merciful forgiveness, should – or rather must, inspire us to readily accept his training so as to develop “godly lives in this present age” - for the spirit of Jesus is at work in us “to purify for himself a people for his own possession” [Titus 2:14] ready for when he returns to this earth. The daily reading and absorption of the Bible into our minds is a vital part of that process.

-------

- DC

29 May 2011

Joshua 15

Isaiah 20; 21

Philemon 1

“WHEN I REMEMBER YOU”

Today we read the 25 verse letter Paul wrote to Philemon about an escaped slave, Onesimus; he had escaped from serving Philemon years before. Onesimus had come to believe in Christ in recent years and this had changed the situation completely. His name means “useful” and he had become very useful to Paul, now “an old man” [Philemon 1:9] and in prison. He writes, “I appeal to you for my child Onesimus, whose father I became in my imprisonment.”

What is implied in this letter is how the message of Christ had spread far and wide, and that praying for one another had become an essential part of a convert’s life. Remember what Peter said about those converted on the day of Pentecost in Jerusalem, that “they devoted themselves to the apostles teaching and fellowship and breaking of bread and prayers.” [Acts 2:42] So prayer was one of the essential four pillars which supported believers in their life in Christ. But it was more than prayer in praise and thanksgiving to God.

Paul writes, “I thank my God always when I remember you in my prayers” [Philemon 1:4]. What is he thanking God for? The answer: “because I hear of your love and the faith that you have toward the Lord Jesus and all the saints.” [Philemon 1:5] A “saint is anyone set apart (which is what the word means) from the world to serve Christ.

Paul tells Philemon, “I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you.” [Philemon 1:7] What a wonderful attitude that reveals! If all true saints had the same attitude, what a powerful spiritual community would exist, but these are “the last days.” In those days prayer was the power source that motivated true believers and kept God’s eyes upon them through his spirit. Paul is praying for his release from prison and knows they are praying for him, “for I am hoping, through your prayers, I will be graciously given to you.” [Philemon 1:22]. Now think, whom have we remembered in prayer today?

-------

- DC

30 May 2011

Joshua 16

Isaiah 22

Hebrews 1; 2

“WITH CONFIDENCE”

In reading the letter to the Hebrews we uncover a rich mine of thoughts that challenge and stimulate our thinking. It is packed full of encouragement for those who aim to follow in the footsteps of Christ, but readers must take care not to gloss over things which do not seem to fit in with the ways they may have previously thought, like thinking that Jesus is God himself, equal with the Almighty. It is essential we grasp the flow of the context and do not pull a phrase out of a verse in isolation.

Hebrews 1 tells us Jesus was “begotten” [Hebrews 1:5] Then Hebrews 1:8 calls him “God” but then the next verse states of him that because “You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness …” When we come to Hebrews 5 we will see “He learned obedience through what he suffered. And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him” [Hebrews 5:8, 9]

A major thought that arises from the wonder of Jesus’ life on earth is that he “was made lower than the angels” [Hebrews 2:9] “to be made like his brothers in every respect” [Hebrews 2:17] and “because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted” [Hebrews 2:18]. Think of what that means in your own relationship with Jesus!

This truth is re-affirmed in Hebrews 3; 4; 5. He has become our High Priest forever – the One and only High Priest, so we read, “since then we have a great High Priest who has passed through (gone into the very presence of God [GNB]) the heavens … one who is able to sympathize with our weaknesses … Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need” [Hebrews 4:14-16]

Increasing numbers of people in this world suffer from depression. The medical profession can offer only limited help – and some of that can cause other problems, yet if we can experience the reality of Jesus, if we can develop a real relationship with our High Priest, we can start living again with confidence.

-------

- DC

31 May 2011

Joshua 17

Isaiah 23

Hebrews 3; 4; 5

"IF JOSHUA HAD GIVEN THEM REST ... "

For the last 2 weeks we have been reading Joshua – and today Joshua also gets mentioned in our Hebrews reading, as we quoted above. The people, under Joshua, after triumphantly entering the promised land had every opportunity if they had trained their children as they had been told and we read last month [Deuteronomy 6:7; 11:19-25]. If this had happened a great future lay ahead.

However this did not happen and we will read next month what happened after Joshua died. Centuries later God raised up David and Solomon to whom he made promises. This was, in a sense, the “Kingdom of God” and the nation could have dominated the world with the law going forth from Jerusalem and honour coming to it like as when the Queen of Sheba visited Solomon. Again there was failure.

Centuries later the true Messiah appeared, it could have happened then, but they rejected him and Jesus told the leaders, “I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a people producing its fruits.” [Matthew 21:43] So the Jewish nation collapsed and Jerusalem and the Temple were destroyed. The Christians were “the nation” and for the next generation or two they gladly accepted the message and membership of the kingdom as Peter was to write and tell them, as we will read shortly, “But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation” [1 Peter 2:9]

This spiritual nation fell into disarray, but as with natural Israel there was a remnant that was looking for God’s promised “rest” and fell asleep anticipating a part in it. We read of this today in Hebrews, “For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on. So then their remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God … therefore let us strive to enter that rest … for the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two edged sword piercing … the thoughts and intentions of the heart … no creature is hidden from his sight … ” [Hebrews 4:8-13] Let us all strive to enter that rest – God’s kingdom under Christ – but we must daily use that “living and active” word of God.

-------

- DC