TFTBR - May 2011

Resource Manager

01 May 2011

Deuteronomy 18

Ecclesiastes 10

Acts 9

"WHEN YOU ARE CONVERTED"

The above words of Jesus are not in today’s reading of Acts 9, they are what Jesus said to Peter because he knew Peter would, in the extremity of the shock of his Master’s arrest, deny him three times. “When you are converted strengthen your brethren” [Luke 22:32] he was told - well that is how the old A.V. renders his words; modern versions say, ‘When you have turned about’ or turned back – conversion is turning around to face the opposite direction.

CONVERSION for Paul and for all on that dramatic Day of Pentecost was being turned right around to face the opposite direction! We can see how this opposite direction brought them to face the LIGHT – instead of darkness – to see with the eye of a true faith that Christ is the LIGHT of the World.

Paul was struck down by that light from heaven! And it is true that for some they experience a sudden illumination as to what it all means. Recall what we read yesterday in Acts 8 of the Eunuch’s experience. He had just been to Jerusalem to worship; Jesus knew he was searching for more illumination to his thoughts about God – that is why he was reading Isaiah. We must never stop searching for greater insights – but they must be ones that bring us closer to Christ, that make the light brighter and more real - as this world grows darker.

Did you notice what Jesus said to Paul as he lay blinded by the light from heaven? ‘Why are you persecuting me’ That must have shocked him! Paul learnt as his life in Christ progressed – that Christ was really in every believer – who had been truly converted. When other believers look into our eyes can they see Christ? Look at Romans 8:1, 8, 9 – note the word ‘IN’. Romans 8:9 makes a vital point. If we belong to him we are no longer our own … Christ really is in us, and it is only when we realize this - that our conversion is complete.

--------

- DC

02 May 2011

Deuteronomy 19

Ecclesiastes 11

Acts 10

“WE ARE WITNESSES OF ALL THAT HE DID”

In Acts 10 there is yet another dramatic account of how the message of Christ spread further afield. The Apostle Peter is caught up in a situation he never thought possible! It was that of witnessing to a Roman Centurion and his relatives and close friends. Peter had to travel to his home in Caesarea. Before he went God gave him a vision which “inwardly perplexed” him [Acts 10:17]. There followed a demonstration in a vision of its meaning that he could not mistake and this caused him to do what he had never imagined himself doing. It was totally against the way the Jews practised their law to go into the home of a non-Jew.

The Centurion said when Peter entered, “we are all here in the presence of God to hear all that you have been commanded of the Lord. So Peter opened his mouth and said: Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.” [Acts 10:33-35]

The core of Peter’s message was to explain the life and teaching of Jesus, “and we are witnesses of all that he did … and he commanded us to preach … that he is the one appointed by God to be the judge of the living and the dead. To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.” [Acts 10:39,42,43] To Peter’s astonishment the Holy Spirit falls on them, so he realizes they must be baptised. Peter now knows beyond any doubt that the message of Jesus, and baptism into his name as a result of expressing that belief, is for all nations.

This commission to be witnesses applies to every believer of every generation. The written word has made all who read and, as a result believe, into disciples of Jesus. When Peter wrote his first epistle he said how believers had been “born again to a living hope” [1 Peter 1:3] they were now “a holy nation, a people for his own possession that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light’ [1 Peter 2:9]. Today, all believers are also witnesses who must try to share their faith at every opportunity.

-------

- DC

03 May 2011

Deuteronomy 20

Ecclesiastes 12

Acts 11; 12

"GOD WILL BRING EVERY DEED INTO JUDGMENT ... WHETHER GOOD OR EVIL"

These are the final words in Solomon’s Book of Ecclesiastes. In the previous verse he had written, “Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of mankind” At the start of this book we read, these are “the words of the Preacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem.” In today’s final chapter we read, “Besides being wise, the Preacher also taught the people knowledge, weighing and studying and arranging, many proverbs with great care.” [Ecclesiastes 12:9] We quoted a few days ago Ecclesiastes 12:11 “the words of the wise are like goads, like nails firmly fixed” [Ecclesiastes 12:11] and it reminds us of what Jesus said to Paul on the Damascus road, “It is hard for you to kick against the goads” [Acts 26:14]

Goads are the nails that are fixed behind horses in harness pulling a carriage, which prick them if they try to disobey the driver. Paul’s conscience was pricking him as he put loving and God fearing men and women in prison and stood approving the stoning of Stephen. Do we let the “words of the wise” that God has caused to be preserved throughout the Bible prick our conscience? We should.

Solomon has a particular message for the young. “Rejoice, O young … let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth. Walk in the ways of your heart … But know that for all these things God will bring you into judgement … Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come … ” [Ecclesiastes 11:9; 12:1]

He is writing in the despondency of old age, death is at the door, he had found “enjoyment in all his toil” [Ecclesiastes 2:24] and now that is all over. But today we can put a fuller meaning on “before the evil days come” for our world is facing evil times and the good times (?) are largely over; “They are afraid also of what is high, and terrors are in the way” [Ecclesiastes 12:5]. We must take his final words to heart, “Fear God and keep his commandments … for God will bring every deed into judgment … whether good or evil.”

-------

- DC

04 May 2011

Deuteronomy 21

Songs 1

Acts 13

“LOOK YOU SCOFFERS, BE ASTOUNDED AND PERISH”

The Missionary journeys of Paul now commence and today’s reading in Acts 13 is full of drama about his initial experiences. There are a lessons for us today from the varied reactions of people then, they are so similar to today – although today there are even more scoffers. Paul and Barnabas came to Antioch in Pisidia (southern Turkey) and went into the synagogue and were invited to speak [Acts 13:15]. Paul started by giving them a history lesson of God’s actions in bringing Israel through the wilderness to the promised land; then giving them kings, in particular David who God said is, “a man after my heart, who will do all my will.” [Acts 13:22] His message then jumps forward to the role of John the Baptist – and then to Jesus and how the Jews “fulfilled them (the message of the prophets) by condemning him” [Acts 13:27].

Paul knew many of the Jews in Antioch would do the same by becoming jealous of the Gentiles when they accepted the message that “everyone who believes (in Jesus) is freed from everything from which you could not be freed by the Law of Moses.” [Acts 13:38, 39]. The warning is made, “Beware therefore, lest what is said in the prophets should come about.” [Acts 13:40] – that is, God’s judgement on those who were wilfully blind to this new work of God.

Tragically that’s what happened! Now the same can be said of people today and the reaction of so many to any teaching there is even a God at all! Paul quoted the words God inspired the prophet Habakkuk to write, “Look you scoffers, be astounded and perish; for I am doing a work in your days, a work you will not believe, even if one tells it to you.’” [Acts 13:41, Habakkuk 1:5] Today we have scoffers who deride the Bible, apparently learned men who scoff at the very thought that there is a God.

One day soon, they will “be astounded and perish.” Then God’s laws will come into action, no longer will the permissive laws exist and corrupt all the population. Let us prepare ourselves for that time by taking the words of Jesus, the Apostles and the prophets to heart.

-------

- DC

05 May 2011

Deuteronomy 22

Songs 2

Acts 14; 15

"... AND FROM SEXUAL IMMORALITY"

There is a very interesting link between our 3 readings today. The early church has a crisis meeting to decide whether the new Gentile converts should be expected to keep the Law of Moses. Leaders including Paul, Barnabas, Peter and James participate in, what we would call today, a high level conference in Jerusalem. The end result is that a letter is compiled to be sent to all the churches telling them that it is not required that they should keep that Law, but it did add that they should “abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols … and from sexual immorality.” [Acts 15:29]

Our Deuteronomy reading [Deuteronomy 22] has a section headed ‘Laws concerning sexual immorality’ [Deuteronomy 22:13-30] in which rules are laid down that the people must abide by an upright moral code and that a woman should preserve her virginity until marriage and if she is found not to have done so she is to be put to death “because she has done an outrageous thing … so you shall purge evil from your midst” [Deuteronomy 22:21].

There is no evidence that such punishment ever happened among Christians. Baptism into Christ blotted out all past sins. However we read in Hebrews, “Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord … that no ‘root of bitterness’ springs up and causes trouble and by it many become defiled; that no one is sexually immoral or unholy …” [Hebrews 12:14-16]

Our other reading today was in the Songs of Solomon which is an allegorical story of true love and how a bride adores her beloved. “My beloved is mine, and I am his.” [songs 2:16], this is interpreted as illustrating Christ’s love for his church. Paul wrote, “Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church and have himself up for her … that she might be holy and true and without blemish” [Ephesians 5:25, 27] All those who aim to be true members of the body of Christ should bear these words very much in mind.

-------

- DC

06 May 2011

Deuteronomy 23

Songs 3

Acts 16; 17

"HE REASONED WITH THEM FROM THE SCRIPTURES"

The Apostle Paul is now travelling from place to place in what is now western Turkey and Greece and our two chapters in Acts 16; 17 are full of interest. “The Jews were jealous” [Acts 17:5] and caused trouble in several places when the teaching of Paul and his companions attracted a lot of interest. When Paul “came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews … Paul went in, as was his custom, and on three Sabbath days, he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and proving that it was necessary for the Christ (Messiah) to suffer and rise from the dead … And some of them were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, as did a great many of the devout Greeks” [Acts 17:2-4]

This success made the Jews jealous; they had maintained and enjoyed a sense of superiority. If they converted any Gentiles it was to make them into proselyte Jews who would be circumcised and keep the Mosaic Law. Then Paul and Silas moved on to Berea and found the Jews there were “more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so” [Acts 17:11]. What stands out is the role of Scripture in convincing those who listened to Paul and Silas of the truth of their message.

Of course the New Testament was not yet written – it was the Old Testament that they searched. It is a pity that so many give little attention to the Old Testament today – note how “Paul reasoned from the Scriptures” and our in reading and development of an understanding of these same Scriptures must aim to help us do the same. The climax to such reasoning is to say the same to our friends as Paul said to the people of Athens – that God “commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed ... ” [Acts 17:30,31] That day is getting very close, are reasoning from the Scriptures to others?

-------

- DC

07 May 2011

Deuteronomy 24

Songs 4

Acts 18; 19

"YOUR BLOOD BE ON YOUR OWN HEADS! I AM INNOCENT"

The Apostle Paul frequently encountered conflict as he travelled to different communities preaching the message of the cross. At each place he started by preaching to the Jews in their synagogues. We read today that “he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and tried to persuade Jews and Greeks.” [Acts 18:4] Then Silas and Timothy joined him, they found “Paul was occupied with the word, testifying to the Jews that the Christ (Messiah) was Jesus. And when they opposed and reviled him, he shook out his garments and said to them, “Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent” [Acts 18:5, 6]

In what sense was Paul innocent? He was innocent because he was fulfilling the commission Christ had given to him to preach his gospel. But there were a great many difficulties in Corinth: to encourage him “the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, ‘Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you.” [Acts 18:9,10]

It is most interesting to note that his enemies “seized Sosthenes, the ruler of the synagogue and beat him” [Acts 18:17] What had the ruler of the synagogue done wrong? Were they blaming him for allowing Paul to preach – or had he been converted? We notice that the very first verse of Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians says, “Paul, called by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and our brother Sosthenes”

We will see in tomorrows reading of Acts 20 that Paul tells the elders from Ephesus, “I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of you all, for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God.” [Acts 20:26, 27] All believers of Paul’s gospel, which is the gospel of God [Romans 1:1] should make themselves “innocent” by declaring to all they come in contact with - the gospel that Paul preached, which is the only real gospel.

-------

- DC

08 May 2011

Deuteronomy 25

Songs 5

Acts 20

“I DO NOT COUNT MY LIFE OF ANY VALUE”

The Apostle Paul, as a result of his total commitment to Christ, attracted intense devotion from those he converted. In today’s 20th chapter of Acts, he says, “I do not count my life of any value, nor as precious to myself.” [Acts 20:24]. This is a total contrast to the attitude seen by nearly everyone today which can influence us. They live to serve themselves and their pleasures! He reflects on how he had been among them “serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials … I did not shrink from teaching you … of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.” [Acts 20:19-21] We note his emphasis on teaching a way of life, just as much as seeing they correctly understood God’s will and purpose.

“Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ” [1 Corinthians 11:1] Paul tells the Corinthians. Our Lord illustrated this in his life; his love was seen by his actions, his spirit of compassion – even as they were leading him to the cross. His is the ultimate example that Paul was following. When we say we are followers of Christ – how do show we mean what we say?

In the Old Testament we are reading the Song of Songs, we can see this, at least partly, as an allegorical story illustrating the love between Christ and his bride and their response and seeking for him. Parts of the story illustrated this today when we read how the bridegroom says, “I came into my garden, my sister, my bride” [songs 5:1]. She responds, “He is altogether desirable. This is my beloved” [songs 5:16]. Christ will come into his garden when he returns to make this world a paradise, may that time come soon and may we experience the greatest possible joy in seeing our faith turned to sight.

Paul wrote, “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?” [Romans 8:35] and the answer is nothing “will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord” [Romans 8:39]. But we must not count this life as the opportunity to mainly serve ourselves, we must be imitators of our Lord.

-------

- DC

09 May 2011

Deuteronomy 26

Songs 6

Acts 21; 22

“YOU HAVE DECLARED … THE LORD HAS DECLARED”

Moses is moving toward the climax of his final message to the people and today’s chapter 26 in Deuteronomy contains two significant statements. First he says to them, “You have declared today that the LORD is your God, and that you will walk in his ways and keep his commandments and his rules and obey his voice” [Deuteronomy 26:17].

In response, says Moses, , “The LORD has declared today that you are a people for his treasured possession … and that he will set you in praise and in fame and in honour high above all nations that he has made and that you shall be a people holy to the LORD …” [Deuteronomy 26:18, 19].

Under Joshua’s leadership the LORD’S declaration started to be fulfilled and then when it came to the reigns of King David and King Solomon it was a time of rejoicing as these righteous kings led the nation to walk in the ways of their God and keep what they had declared.

God’s declaration still stands – For believers it happens at their baptism! What the LORD declares will have greater meaning and wonder through the life to come on earth when the Lord Jesus Christ reigns. All those who have made or make a declaration now to serve him and who are faithful to their declaration will experience what God has declared and become his treasured possession.

The final prophet of the Old Testament era used this phrase when he wrote, “Then those that feared the LORD spoke with one another. The LORD paid attention and heard them, and a book of remembrance was written before him of those who feared the LORD and esteemed his name. ‘They shall be mine,’ says the LORD of hosts, in the day when I make up my treasured possession …” [Malachi 3:16-17] In that day they will fully experience what the LORD has declared.

Now a key question! Did we talk with one another today of things that our Lord would be pleased to hear and pay attention? If not, let’s do so tomorrow – and all the days thereafter.

-------

- DC

10 May 2011

Deuteronomy 27

Songs 7

Acts 23; 24

"ACCORDING TO THE WAY WHICH THEY CALL A SECT"

It seems significant that members of the long established churches tend to dismiss smaller assemblies of God fearing Christians as “sects” - seeing them as di-secting the church. It is true that those “in Christ” should be all one together. Our thoughts were led to reflect on this because of Paul’s comments today in defending himself against the charges the religious leaders from Jerusalem brought against him. The point he made to the Roman Governor was, “this I confess to you that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the prophets, having a hope in God, which these men themselves accept” [Acts 24:14,15]. The old A.V. version renders sect as heresy!

We read how these religious leaders were themselves deeply divided; it was the exercise of power that kept them together! Human nature never really changes – except for those truly motivated by the spirit of Christ. Note Paul’s words, “I always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man” [Acts 24:16]. To have a clear conscience before God is absolutely essential – and those who have that aim should surely end up coming together.

The lack of harmony among the Jewish leaders was over whether there will be a resurrection of the dead. This is still a perplexing subject among the major churches today. From when belief that the soul is immortal was accepted in the churches from the 3rd Century onwards they could never really reconcile their belief that the soul at the death of the body, in going to either a bad place or a good place (heaven) for punishment or reward – as to how that could be so when, at the return of Jesus to the earth, “we shall all stand before the judgement seat of God” [Romans 14:10] “so that each one may receive what is due for what he (or she) has done” [2 Corinthians 5:10]

What is the point? Have they not already received and experienced it – IF what is commonly taught is true. Those who decide to serve their Saviour “according to the Way” – though they be called “a sect” have a “clear conscience” - as did Paul; but that is no reason for pride, but for “humility” which is what Paul felt. [Acts 20:19].

-------

- DC

11 May 2011

Deuteronomy 28

Songs 8

Acts 25; 26

"DO YOU BELIEVE THE PROPHETS?"

This was the question the Apostle Paul put to King Agrippa. He did not wait for him to answer, but immediately added, “I know that you believe” [Acts 26:27]. The King does not deny this, but notice his response, “In a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian?” [Acts 26:28] There is no evidence that he became a Christian but all those who are readers of God’s word have abundant evidence of what the prophets said and wrote and how much of it has so far been fulfilled – and what lies ahead!

The King recognised this and Paul was challenging him to believe – as an outcome of this recognition. Now it is one thing to accept what the prophets wrote as being true and acknowledge that it came to pass: it is another for this to make a difference in our attitude toward God and “to become a Christian” in the sense in which they were Christians in the First Century. To become a follower of Christ one has to show it by attitudes and actions as well as in words.

One remarkable example of what the prophets predicted is in our Deuteronomy reading today. Who can deny the truth of its fulfilment? A few try to! When we were young, the ugly nature of its fulfilment was published with frightening photographs to support the testimony. Unbelievable things had been done to the Jews by the Nazis and over 5 million experienced horrible deaths.

God caused Moses to predict this would one day come on them if they failed to believe and serve him in the way he required.. Moses wrote, “the LORD will give you there a trembling heart and failing eyes and a languishing soul … night and day you shall be in dread and have no assurance of your life … because of the dread your hearts shall feel, and the sights that your eyes shall see.” [Deuteronomy 28:65-67].

Do we believe the prophets? Yes we do, as Agrippa did. Does our knowledge of what God caused them to write persuade us to believe in God and his claim on our lives – and take action to serve him and his Son? Agrippa walked away without answering – what do we do?

-------

- DC

12 May 2011

Deuteronomy 29

Isaiah 1

Acts 27

"A PEOPLE LADEN WITH INIQUITY"

Today we start reading the remarkable prophecy of Isaiah; what a challenging life he had in serving the LORD! He brought messages from God to the people through the reigns of 4 kings which are named in the first verse. But he was also privileged to receive and record God’s word concerning “the latter days” as we will read tomorrow – and, above all, the astonishingly detailed vision of the sufferings, death and resurrection of the Messiah in Isaiah 53, which, until the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered, sceptics declared must have been added later.

This is a book that inspires in us greater and greater faith – if we are willing to apply our minds to the many aspects of its messages.

As we read the first chapter we could not help but think how much it was also a message for today as it was for the spiritually decadent people to whom Isaiah was conveying God’s message. “Ah sinful nation,” writes Isaiah, “a people laden with iniquity … who deal corruptly. They have forsaken the LORD, they have despised the Holy One …” [isaiah 1:4]

He challenges them. “Hear the word of the LORD you rulers of Sodom … of Gomorrah” [isaiah 1:10]. Their religious practices were but a show and a sham and on a level with those evil cities; “Bring no more vain offerings; incense is an abomination to me … I cannot endure iniquity and solemn assembly … your appointed feasts my soul hates” [isaiah 1:13, 14] They were hated by God because the spirit in their hearts was all wrong. What a message to have to give to the people!

Then the theme changed, “Learn to do good … come now, let us reason together says the LORD; though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow … if you are willing and obedient” [isaiah 1:18,19]. It is the same message today – but how few are willing and obedient? Make sure you are.

-------

- DC

13 May 2011

Deuteronomy 30

Isaiah 2

Act 28

"BUT THE WORD IS VERY NEAR YOU"

Moses today, in Deuteronomy 30, completes his exhortation to the people who are about to enter the promised land. We still have the words of his song to come in Deuteronomy 32. We need to appreciate why he taught them a song – and it’s not a short one! Everything depended on memory. There are references to people developing and possessing fantastic memories in early Centuries, such as being able to memorise all the Psalms.

A good memory enables you to have God’s “word … very near you.” But we need the right attitude to the value of memory learning – the words must be very meaningful so that they stir our thinking and create a real sense of motivation in our minds. Moses writes, “return to the LORD your God, you and your children, and obey his voice in all I command you today, with all your heart and with all your soul” [Deuteronomy 30:2]. The result will be evident when they come “into the land that your fathers possessed, that … he will make you more prosperous and numerous than your fathers” [Deuteronomy 30:5]

Then comes a key verse, “and the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live.” [Deuteronomy 30:6]

Is not the message of Jesus to us the same!

Then in Deuteronomy 30:14 we have the words, “but the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it.” We thought how today the word of God is very near us, freely available in a multitude of different languages. As Moses brings his final message to a climax notice the reference to the need for love!

“If you obey … by loving the LORD your God, by walking in his ways, and by keeping his commandments and his statutes and his rules, then you shall live and multiply, and the LORD your God will bless you … therefore chose life that you and your offspring may live, loving the LORD your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him.” [Deuteronomy 30:16,19,20].

We lay a firm foundation to choosing eternal life, by reading and reflecting on portions of God’s word every day so that it becomes a motivating force in our minds.

-------

- DC

14 May 2011

Deuteronomy 31

Isaiah 3; 4

Colossians 1

"THEY DO NOT HIDE IT"

God’s message through Isaiah is to a nation that has lost its vision of their God and how to truly serve him, “the look on their faces bears witness against them” Isaiah tells them, “they proclaim their sin like Sodom, they do not hide it! Woe to them! For they have brought evil on themselves” [isaiah 3:9]. We thought how appropriate the prophet’s message was for the world today. If Isaiah was here now his message would be exactly the same. Indeed, today the word ‘sin’ is no longer in the vocabulary.

But Isaiah’s next verse has a message for those still trying to maintain righteousness. “Tell the righteous it shall be well with them for they shall eat the fruit of their deeds.” Then in the next chapter there is reference to Jesus – named as “the branch of the LORD” that “in that day” it “shall be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the land shall be the pride and honour of the survivors of Israel. And he who is left in Zion and remains in Jerusalem will be called holy, everyone who has been recorded for life in Jerusalem.” [isaiah 4:2, 3] We take this to refer to those recorded in the book of life – applying to both natural and spiritual Israelites.

We compare this with the lovely positive message in Colossians today where Paul tells them how they are “qualified to share in the inheritance of the saints in life. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” [Colossians 1:12-14]

Just as this godless world has no shame and does not hide its way of life, let us also not hide our way of life in righteousness, for we witness by example and not just by word.

-------

- DC

15 May 2011

Deuteronomy 32

Isaiah 5

Colossians 2

THAT “WHICH BINDS EVERYTHING TOGETHER IN PERFECT HARMONY”

We speak of criminals who are brought to Court and found guilty as then being “put away” for so many months or years. Paul uses this phrase “put away” in today’s Colossians reading in describing certain things which should be permanently locked up and therefore have no freedom to do any damage: if that does not happen, then they are NOT “put away.”

He tells the Colossians to “put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander and obscene talk” [Colossians 3:8] Oh dear, have we got these things all locked up securely in prison?

But there is another list of things that are to be “put to death”!!! [Colossians 3:5] What are these? The first on the list is “sexual immorality” Oh dear – we are surrounded by a lot more of that than when we were young. We cannot get rid of that which surrounds us, but we must prevent them from getting inside – and our prevention efforts are not going to work very well if we read books which are fictional stories about ungodly behaviour, watch TV shows, DVDs, etc that flaunt ungodly behaviour.

The next on the list is “impurity” which means what? Well it sounds rather general, the New English Bible has, “indecency” followed by similar words.

But – as the chapter proceeds, three times Paul uses the phrase “PUT ON” That’s in Colossians 3:10, 12, 14. “Put on then as God’s chosen ones”

Do you see yourself as one of God’s chosen ones? Do you want to be one of those? So what do such people aim to “put on”?

“Compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience … forgiving each other … above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony” [Colossians 3:12-14]

-------

- DC

16 May 2011

Deuteronomy 33; 34

Isaiah 6

Colossians 3; 4

“HIGH AND LIFTED UP”

Our reading in Isaiah today gave us thoughts that are high and lifted up! But then we contradicted ourselves – and felt as low as one can possibly be! Let us explain. Isaiah has a vision of “the Lord sitting upon a throne high and lifted up and the train of his robe filled the temple.” [isaiah 6:1] There are two Seraphim and one says, “Holy, Holy, Holy is the LORD of Hosts: the whole earth is filled with his glory.” [isaiah 6:3] The foundations of the thresholds shook at the sound of this voice.

Now we can understand this in the sense of the absolute wonder of God’s glory in creation which we see all around us – and the wonder of our own bodies which are the crowning glory of that creation, indeed we are “fearfully and wonderfully made” [Psalm 139:14] . We can also understand Isaiah’s words as a vision of the future, of the glory of God at the end of the 1,000 years reign when he says, “Behold, I am making all things new” [Revelation 21:5] at the climax of His Kingdom when God himself comes to dwell on earth [Revelation 21:3].

Now this vision has an overwhelming impact on Isaiah himself, “Woe is me for I am lost! I am a man of unclean lips” [isaiah 6:5] He experiences the numbing realization that human beings, from this perspective, are nothing! What am I, what are we, compared to the Creator of all things? In this perspective – less than nothing! Imagine Isaiah’s feelings! Can you? Can you put yourself in his shoes?

Then Isaiah sees in his vision a seraphim bringing a burning coal to touch his lips and he feels the wonder of cleansing and responds to the call of someone to go and call out God’s challenging and condemning message to the people. “Here am I, send me”

Now the phrase “high and lifted up” occurs in only two other places in the Bible, and both are in Isaiah, but look at the contexts in which they occur. The remarkable message of Isaiah 53 actually starts from Isaiah 53:13 of the previous chapter which says, Behold my servant shall act wisely, he shall be high and lifted up, and shall be exalted.” Understand this as a picture of our Lord and his lifting up to be with his father. The third place is in Isaiah 57:15 “For us says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose Name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit …”

-------

- DC

17 May 2011

Joshua 1

Isaiah 7

1 Thessalonians 1; 2

"THE WORD OF GOD, WHICH IS AT WORK IN YOU BELIEVERS"

Paul used the above words in writing to the believers in Thessalonica. What did they understand by this? How can ‘words’ work? Well, “words” are sometimes described as “seed” that is planted. We know well the parable of Jesus about the scattering of seed – and the different kinds of soil into which it fell.

Paul had only been able to spend a few short weeks in Thessalonica compared to the 18 months or so in Corinth. In Acts 17 we read how, while in Thessalonica, “he reasoned with them from the Scriptures … this Jesus, whom I proclaim unto you is the Christ (the expected Messiah)” [Acts 17:2, 3 ] that, as a result, the jealous Jews, blind to the reality of his message, “formed a mob and set the city in an uproar” [Acts 17:5] so that “the brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night” [Acts 17:10].

So, as we read Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians, we see the point of his words, “You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake. And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction” [1 Thessalonians 1:5, 6] He then writes of how news of their acceptance of the faith in much affliction had spread – that “your faith in God has gone forth everywhere” [1 Thessalonians 1:8]

In the 2nd chapter Paul writes “we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers” [1 Thessalonians 2:13] Words we hear – and today read - are either accepted or rejected as to whether they are of value to us, eternal value! Of the greatest value is “the word of God” – if we are ready to recognise it as such. The jealous Jews did not. The self obsessed people of the world today – do not.

The word that fell among thorns and thistles had no lasting effect – it could not complete its “work”. But the Thessalonians “turned from idols to serve the living and true God and to wait for his Son from heaven … who delivers us from the wrath to come.” [1 Thessalonians 1:9, 10] May God’s word complete its work in us and achieve the same result and turn us from “the idols” this world worships.

We are aware of the affliction facing true believers today in many countries - but the word of God is at work in them! And us?

-------

- DC

18 May 2011

Joshua 2

Isaiah 8

1 Thessalonians 3; 4

"ENCOURAGE ONE ANOTHER WITH THESE WORDS"

As this world grows more godless it becomes ever more necessary for believers to encourage each other. The greatest source of encouragement is in the words of God which is our reason for reading them each day. There are verses in our Thessalonians reading today that are probably going to be fulfilled in the lifetime of most of those reading these thoughts.

Some, to whom Paul was writing, were unclear about the fate of those who had recently died. Paul says they should “not grieve as others do who have no hope” [1 Thessalonians 4:13]. He then writes, “For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.” [1 Thessalonians 4:15,16]

Paul then says that those who have not died “will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words.” [1 Thessalonians 4:17,18] Notice how it says, “so we will always be with the Lord” – so where will the Lord be? There are lots of scriptural passages which say he is coming back to reign on earth from Jerusalem as we read 5 days ago, for example, in Isaiah 2:1-4. It may well be that those who are alive will be taken away from “the tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world …” [Matthew 24:21]

Today, in Isaiah 8, we saw how Isaiah was living in a godless society similar to ourselves. He quotes the LORD’s warning to him, “not to walk in the way of this people … do not fear what they fear, nor be in dread.” Note what he next says, “But the LORD of hosts, him you shall regard as holy. Let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.” [isaiah 8:11-13] While we love God, we are in awe of all he must be! But notice the strong words in Isaiah 8:20, “to the teaching and the testimony! If they will not speak according to this word, it is because they have no dawn.” The world is in spiritual darkness and many religious leaders do not speak according to God’s word, so there will be no dawn bringing light into their minds when Jesus returns. Let’s make sure we have the teaching and the testimony to give us true light.

-------

- DC

19 May 2011

Joshua 3; 4

Isaiah 9

1 Thessalonians 5

"AND THE GOVERNMENT SHALL BE UPON HIS SHOULDER"

All 3 portions of God’s word allocated for us to read today are inspiring. First we read the drama of the people crossing the Jordan in Joshua 3. We finished by reading 1 Thessalonians 5 with its portrayal of the climax of human rule on this earth "when sudden destruction comes upon them" just as they are saying, probably in a spirit of vain human expectation, "There is peace and security" [1 Thessalonians 5:3]. What happened in the months leading up to the 2nd World War – and at other times – BUT surely this final time will be the most dramatic of all! But Paul then says, "But you are not in darkness brothers for that day to surprise you like a thief." [1 Thessalonians 5:4]

Now in Isaiah 9 he tells us that "that day" leads to the return of the Son – the child that was born; "and the government shall be upon his shoulder" [isaiah 9:6] and the nature of his absolute power in Government results in "his name" (i.e. his reputation) being "called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this." [isaiah 9:6, 7]

The zeal of the LORD of hosts accomplished the dramatic crossing of the Jordan under Joshua, creating for Joshua an exalted position "in the sight of all Israel" [Joshua 3:6, 7]. That was but a shadow of the way "the zeal of the Lord of hosts" will be with the son that was given. Truly "the government shall be upon his shoulder" and, as Paul told the Philippians, "God has highly exalted him and given him a name that is above every name … to the glory of God the Father." [Philippians 2:9, 11]

-------

- DC

20 May 2011

Joshua 5; 6

Isaiah 10

2 Thessalonians 1; 2

"FOR ALL THIS HIS ANGER IS NOT TURNED AWAY"

The above phrase occurs 4 times in Isaiah 9;10. The Lord is sending messages through Isaiah to "Ephraim and the inhabitants of Samaria" [isaiah 9:9] that is, those living in the northern kingdom. These are saying "in the pride and arrogance of heart" that the trees and bricks that have been destroyed will be replaced by something better. No acknowledgement that God is judging them by what is happening!

This arrogant attitude leads the prophet to say on behalf of God, "For all this his anger is not turned away and his hand is stretched out (in judgement) still." [isaiah 9:12] These setbacks do not lead them to "inquire of the LORD of hosts" [isaiah 9:13] God ceases to even have compassion on their fatherless and widows; for everyone is godless and an evildoer and every mouth speaks folly (footnote; disgraceful things)" Isaiah 9:17] How true this is of attitudes today. The verse ends with the same statement about God's anger continuing - and obviously growing.

The people are disunited, they devour each other and the chapter ends with the 3rd occurrence of this saying. The final occurrence is preceded with the questions, "What will you do on the day of punishment, in the ruin that will come from afar? To whom will you flee for help, and where will you leave your wealth?" [isaiah 10:3] We should ask the same questions today! The answers are obvious!

One final and most interesting point is in verses Isaiah 10:20, 21 which surely will find a fulfillment in the near future. "In that day the remnant of Israel and the survivors of the house of Jacob will no more lean on him who struck them, but will lean on the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, in truth ... For though your people Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them will return. Destruction is decreed, overflowing with righteousness." [isaiah 10:20-22] An awesome prediction.

-------

- DC

21 May 2011

Joshua 7

Isaiah 11

2 Thessalonians 3

"THE EARTH SHALL BE FULL OF ..."

Today's Isaiah chapter is that marvellous one which tells us of the time to come when "the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea" [isaiah 11:9] The first part of the chapter is about the work of our Lord Jesus - and we see how it began in his first coming when Isaiah 11:2 was fulfilled. This says, "the Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD." John 3:34 tells us that Jesus received the Spirit "without measure".

The Gospels show us how he showed wisdom and understanding and also exercised the Spirit of "might" when the occasion required; but how much more in the time to come, which is surely getting close, when he returns to "strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall kill the wicked. Righteousness shall be the belt of his waist , and faithfulness the belt of his loins" [isaiah 11:4, 5]

How wonderful that destruction is followed by righteousness, exercised in faithfulness for the meek of the earth. Do you remember how, in what is called 'The sermon on the Mount' Jesus said, "Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth" [Matthew 5:5] Meek does not mean timid, we read of Moses that "he was very meek, more than all people that were on the face of the earth." [Numbers 12:3] He learnt meekness after he fled from Pharaoh and spent 40 years as a shepherd - only then could God use him to lead his people out of Egypt.

It is thought provoking to see how often David uses this word in the Psalms, it is often translated as "humble." The other wonderful thing in Isaiah's chapter today is the reference to the removal of the curse on the earth that God imposed when Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden. Paul referred to this in writing to the Romans. Read Romans 8:18-22 of the time when "creation will be set free". How wonderful what Isaiah tells us about that time "when they shall not hurt nor destroy" [isaiah 11:9] - and this will include all living things for "the cow and the bear shall graze; their young shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox." [isaiah 11:7] Oh, the wonder of what is to come; what a contrast to the fears of human beings today with their worries over climate change and the endless and increasing friction between nations. Let us all increase our vision of that time - and our participation.

-------

- DC

22 May 2011

Joshua 8

Isaiah 12

1 Timothy 1; 2; 3

"HOW ONE OUGHT TO BEHAVE IN THE HOUSEHOLD OF GOD"

Paul's letter to Timothy is full of advice and instruction we can use for ourselves. He tells Timothy that, I hope to come to you soon , but I am writing these things to you so that, if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church (assembly) of the living God." [1 Timothy 3:15] Then Paul tells them how each community of believers should have overseers,or elders. He goes into great detail about the qualities such a person needs to have.

He must be married and have brought up children for if he cannot effectively manage "his own household" how will he properly "care for God's church."? [1 Timothy 3:5]. Also "he must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil." [1 Timothy 3:6] What is this devil? How can an overseer be seen to be condemned by a devil?

The translators are inconsistent, for the Greek word diabolos they translate here as devil occurs again in 1 Timothy 3:11 about what the character of the wives of deacons should NOT be! They translate diabolos as "slanderer"in this case! The character of deacon's wives must be such that they never stoop to slander anyone. Where diabolos occurs in 2 Timothy 3:3 and Titus 2:3 the translators have rightly rendered it as slanderer or some similar word.

So it makes sense to understand that if they make a recent convert an overseer or elder there is a possibility that a jealous member may slander them. A most unfortunate false image can be painted in the minds of some: they may start to think that believers in the opposite direction' Gods's word contains no such idea.

Those who take any position of responsibility in God's church "must be dignified, not double tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy ... They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience" [1 Timothy 3:8, 9]. Timothy is told, "set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity." [1 Timothy 4:12] We should all take Paul's advice on this.

-------

- DC

23 May 2011

Joshua 9

Isaiah 13

1 Timothy 4; 5

"THEY DID NOT ASK COUNSEL FROM THE LORD"

Our readings in Joshua continue to provide lessons for us. So wonderful and stimulating had been the experience of the Israelites in crossing the Jordan and conquering Jericho in doing all LORD commanded. But then we read of their self confidence in going to destroy Ai. They did not seek any guidance from the LORD. Their attack on Ai failed because one man, Achan, had taken and hidden spoil in the conquest of Jericho in defiance of instructions from the LORD - which Joshua had made plain to the people.

It is worth noting that Joshua in seeking an admission of guilt from Achan says he would “give glory to the LORD God of Israel” in doing this. [Joshua 7:19] A lesson for us in this, if we should sin, especially if it is a failure that affects everyone else, we give glory to God when we are ready to admit our failure. It is an interesting and a very personal study to search out the things that we can do that give glory to God, we will be surprised at what we discover.

Although Ai is then destroyed another failure follows. The people of the mighty city of Gibeon send messengers to the Israelites and tell them they have come from far away and feign evidence to prove this. They seek peaceful relations with Israel to avoid destruction and, we read in today’s, Joshua 9, Israel “did not ask counsel from the LORD” [Joshua 9:14]. Israel’s leaders “made peace with them and made a covenant with them, to let them live” [Joshua 9:15]. This led to disquiet among the people and “the congregation murmured against the leaders” [Joshua 9:18] but they had given them a promise under oath [Joshua 9:20] and had to keep it.

But to speak a word under oath should not happen with followers of Christ. James made the point, “above all … do not swear either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your “yes” be “yes and your “no” be “no”, so that you may not fall under condemnation.” [1 Timothy 5:12] Believers and followers of Christ should always speak the truth as a matter of course.

-------

- DC

24 May 2011

Joshua 10

Isaiah 14

1 Timothy 6

"BUT AS FOR YOU ... PURSUE RIGHTEOUSNESS"

Righteousness? In the very earliest translations of the Bible into English this word was spelt right-wise-ness! Interesting – we like to think of it as indicating that the only wise way to live our lives was always to aim do right – that is, right by God’s standards..

Paul, in concluding his first letter to Timothy tells him that he needs to pursue this way of life. It needs mental energy, a real sense of the right direction in which to focus the eyes of our minds. Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, only with difficulty will a rich person enter the kingdom” [Matthew 19:23]. There are “riches” of human creation in the world today as never before!

This is the point Paul is telling Timothy to make while he is living in Ephesus [1 Timothy 1:3]. Paul writes to him, “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith. Take hold of eternal life to which you were called …” [1 Timothy 6:10-12]

This advice to Timothy is surely for us as well! How do you “take hold” of something? You need both hands! Well, in those days, indeed until about 200 years ago, most individuals who needed to travel some distance had to mount and take hold of the reins of a horse (or a camel or an ass in Bible times) and guide it with firm hands to the desired destination. He had to have a good sense of direction, sign posts were non existent!

May all of us have such a commitment to living our lives that we “take hold” of the right and wise directions in life, ignoring the distracting human signposts and “the uncertainty of riches” [1 Timothy 6:17] but, as Paul advised, to be “rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.” [1 Timothy 6:18,19]

-------

- DC

25 May 2011

Joshua 11

Isaiah 15

2 Timothy 1

"JESUS WHO ABOLISHED DEATH AND BROUGHT LIFE AND IMMORTALITY TO LIGHT"

We are now reading Paul’s final letter, written just before he died. It is his 2nd letter to Timothy and as we and this needs our careful thought. He invites Timothy and his readers to “share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began.” [2 Timothy 1:8, 9]

How are we to understand this? We were not there “before the ages began”! We are challenged to understand the foreknowledge of God. It makes us recall, for example, his first words to Jeremiah! “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” [Jeremiah 1:5]. Seeing Jeremiah was known, through God’s foreknowledge, how much more Jesus Christ! God told Isaiah, “so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty” [isaiah 55:11], so the word that promised a Messiah ultimately happened and “the word became flesh and dwelt among us” [John 1:14]

So we see Paul’s meaning when he writes that God “saved us and called us … in Christ Jesus before the ages began.” He then goes on to write about “the appearing of our Saviour Christ Jesus, who abolished death” [2 Timothy 1:10] But death will not be finally abolished until the end of the kingdom age – but death in the eternal sense is abolished for those “in Christ”, it becomes but a timeless sleep, because Christ “brought life and immortality to light through the gospel” [2 Timothy 1:10].

Let us say with Paul, as he said to Timothy, “I am not ashamed for I know who I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what he has entrusted to me. Follow the pattern of sound words that you have heard from me.” [2 Timothy 1:12, 13] Let us also follow these “sound words” in our days, even more than there were then, there are many unsound words around because all too many fail to read God’s word carefully.

-------

- DC