TFTBR - March 2011

Resource Manager

01 March 2011

Leviticus 5; 6

Psalms 105

1 Corinthians 14

"IT IS SHAMEFUL FOR A WOMAN TO SPEAK IN CHURCH"

We reflected at length on the verse that includes the above quotation in reading 1 Corinthians 14 today. So many churches, apart from the Catholic church, now allow women to speak, and in some cases take quite prominent roles. The words, "it is shameful for a woman to speak in church" are in 1 Corinthians 14:35; have we taken the quotation out of its context?

The previous verse says, "the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says." We conclude this means 'silent' in the sense of not addressing the congregation, for 1 Corinthians 14:29-33 are about "prophets" speaking "and let the others weigh what is being said"

Do we understand what prophets were in the early church? While there are one or two occasions where there is a prophet in the N T that predict the future [Acts 21:10,11] its primary meaning, as is the meaning here, is the expounding of God's word. Verse 31 says, "you can all prophecy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged" [1 Corinthians 14:31].

Returning to our thoughts on the role of women, we see the part they played in the life of Jesus, noting that all his disciples were men and he sent as many as 72 out two by two to preach [Luke 10]. There is just one passage which is constantly quoted by those who seek to justify seeing an equal role for women in the church in the service of Christ. This is Galatians 3:27,28 where Paul writes, "For as many of you as were baptised into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

What does he mean "neither male nor female"? We noted he also said, "neither slave or free." Does a slave, when he or she is baptised into Christ now have equality in this life with those who are free? Of course not, it is clear that the sense in which they are one, is that they together have all become children of God and are all heirs together "of the grace of life" [1 Peter 3:7]. The same principle applies to men and women. Finally, the last verse in today's reading tells us, "all things should be done decently and in order" and we must respect the order that was established in those early and foundation days of the church.

-------

- DC

02 March 2011

Leviticus 7

Psalms 106

1 Corinthians 15

"BAD COMPANY RUINS GOOD MORALS"

We pondered why the above saying rather suddenly occurs in that very moving and oft quoted chapter of 1 Corinthians 15. Parts of this chapter are often read at funerals, it contains a powerful testimony to the certainty of resurrection and that “in Christ shall all be made alive” [1 Corinthians 15:22] eternally “at his coming” adding the qualification “those who belong to Christ” [1 Corinthians 15:23]

We must not cease to “belong to Christ” but that is not the same as belonging to a group of believers, one can do that, but in one’s heart have ceased to belong to Christ – even though we have been baptised. Paul tells the Corinthians, “some have no knowledge of God, I say this to your shame” [1 Corinthians 15:34] He writes this immediately after making the point, “Do not be deceived, bad company ruins good morals.”

We are surrounded by people who do not believe in the God of the Bible, but that is not the same as having “no knowledge of God” in the sense Paul meant in this chapter. Look how the Bible uses this phrase. Read Proverbs 2:1-5 and note the “ifs” that lead to one having a “knowledge of God” and then the prayer of Jesus in John 17:3,25. In these and similar passages we see that having a “knowledge of God” we must have a real relationship with him.

It is “bad company” that will undermine our “knowledge of God” and then destroy that relationship or prevent it ever happening. But what is “bad company?” Today it occurs in dangerous and new ways. Television provides us with “company” and much of it qualifies as “bad company”! As we see badness multiplying in the world – often all around us – we recognise that TV is a powerful influence in this. As a result human behaviour is displaying more and more selfish self-love and animal like instincts. Over and above the affects of much that is on TV, many now have ready access to the Internet – which offers a whole range of opportunities for even worse “bad company.”

Returning to our chapter we notice the last 2 verses, “But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved … be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labour is not in vain.”

-------

- DC

03 March 2011

Leviticus 8

Psalms 107

1 Corinthians 16

“IT WILL TAKE SEVEN DAYS TO ORDAIN YOU”

We have been reading in Leviticus about the laws and offerings that were to now come into operation now that the Tabernacle was set up and ready for use. Today’s reading [Leviticus 8] is about how the LORD tells Moses to bring Aaron and his sons and assemble the entire congregation to the Tabernacle to witness their ordination. Moses then dresses Aaron in the elaborately prepared garments, with the ephod and the breastpiece of judgement. Various ordination offerings followed [Leviticus 8:22,28,29,31) Aaron and his sons are to stay within “the tent of meeting … until the days of your ordination (the A V uses the word consecration) are completed, for it will take seven days to ordain you.” [Leviticus 8:33]

There is a total contrast between this ritual and the way the church operated in the First Century, when there is no mention or suggestion of anything like an ordination ceremony. The First Century churches apparently met in the homes of members as we read today in 1 Corinthians 16:19 – note also Acts 2:46; Romans 16:5; Colossians 4:15 and Philemon 1:2. The word church does not mean a building, it means an ‘assembly’ or congregation, as it is translated in Acts 19:32,39.

There were no Priests, the elders had a key role and Peter simply describes himself as “a fellow elder” [1 Peter 5:1] and goes on to write that elders should “shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly, not domineering … but being examples to the flock.” [1 Peter 5:2,3]

It was not until the Church was officially accepted in the Roman Empire in the 4th Century that it began to develop an elaborate ritual of a Priesthood with ordinations and costuming. The First Century Christians saw Jesus Christ as their only Priest as Hebrews 4:14-16; 5:1-10 makes plain. Even the Jews abandoned the Priesthood system after their Temple was destroyed. In a sense baptism is an ordination – when each individual ordains, that is decides, to commit his or her life to Christ and to God, but it does not take seven days – it takes a dedicated decision of the heart, a decision that changes the purpose of our lives for all time and those faithful to the end “will be priests of God and of Christ and they will reign with him …” [Revelation 20:6].

-------

- DC

04 March 2011

Leviticus 9; 10

Psalms 108; 109

2 Corinthians 1; 2

“FIRE CAME OUT FROM BEFORE THE LORD”

We have a degree of concern about the references to “fire” when God shows his extreme anger with this Godless world at the return of Christ. See 1 Corinthians 3:13 in last week’s readings and more specifically 2 Thessalonians 1:8 and 2 Peter 3:7. Our thoughts on this were spurred by the account of how 2 sons of Aaron were dramatically destroyed by fire as we read Leviticus 9;10 today. Aaron and his sons were being “Sanctified” for their roles in serving in the Tabernacle that had just been built.

‘Sanctified’ means being recognized as holy, being set apart from the commonplace, treating situations with all reverence. This must be the attitude of all those who seek to truly serve God. This was a dramatic and disastrous result from a failure to do this, God means what he decrees. All the wonder of the actual presence of God in the tabernacle was demonstrated as worship in it began, “the glory of the LORD appeared to all the people. And fire came out from before the LORD and consumed the burnt offerings …” [Leviticus 9:23,24]. As a result human attitudes of reverence and humility should have been paramount. The reaction at the time was totally understandable, “they shouted and fell on their faces” [Leviticus 9:24]. What will happen when our Lord returns to earth?

Aaron had four sons, all were involved in assisting their father and we now read how tragedy overwhelmed two of them. Nadab and Abihu “each took his censer and put fire in it and laid incense on it and offered unauthorized fire before the LORD which he had not commanded them” [Leviticus 10:1]

The result was terrifying for they “died before the LORD” as fire came out from before the LORD and “consumed them” [Leviticus 10:2]. Moses then says to Aaron, “Among those who are near me I will be sanctified, and before all the people I will be glorified” [Leviticus 10:3] There is a vital lesson here for everyone who seeks to serve God and have a close relationship with him: this applies to Christians just as much as to Israelites. We know that the teaching a “different gospel” to “distort the gospel of Christ.” [Galatians 1:6,7] causes Paul to warn, “let him be accursed” [Galatians 1:9] who does this – so what happened to two of the sons of Aaron was a lesson for all ages.

-------

- DC

05 March 2011

Leviticus 11

Psalms 110; 111; 112

2 Corinthians 3; 4

"SO WE DO NOT LOSE HEART"

Do you ever lose heart? Does life sometimes seem to be full of too many difficulties, too many frustrations? When we get to feel like that we should read these verses in Paul’s 2nd letter to Corinth. So many times Paul was confronted with very difficult situations that would have threatened to daunt the strongest personality.

Remember, for example, when he was unjustly thrown into prison at Philippi [Acts 16:22-24]. He and Silas were sitting in the darkness in the inner prison with their feet fastened in the stocks. They were “praying and singing hymns to God” [Acts 16:25] and these hymns were almost certainly Psalms. So what do we read today that Paul wrote to encourage others? “For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more … so we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen… the things that that are unseen are eternal” [2 Corinthians 4:16-18]

It could well have been that the Psalms today were some of the hymns that Paul and Silas were singing. “Blessed is the man (or woman) who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commandments … Light dawns in the darkness for the upright … For the righteous will never be moved; he will be remembered forever. He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm trusting in the LORD. His heart is steady; he will not be afraid.” [Psalm 112:1,4; 112:6-8]

May this become our outlook on life – as we are surrounded by more and more godlessness and then see God fulfilling the words we also read today, “The Lord is at your right hand; he will shatter kings on the day of his wrath. He will execute judgement among the nations …” [Psalm 110:5,6]

-------

- DC

06 March 2011

Leviticus 12; 13

Psalms 113; 114

2 Corinthians 5; 6; 7

“WE ARE THE TEMPLE OF THE LIVING GOD”

We often think of the occasion the disciples showed Jesus the grandeur of the Temple [Mark 13:1,2]. What was in their minds? They, like their fellow Jews, were proud of it. Jesus totally shocked them by saying it was all going to be destroyed!

Now in today’s reading in 2nd Corinthians Paul makes the point of how the temple was replaced. There is a new kind of Temple where God wishes to dwell, a new ‘Most Holy Place’ and that is the most important thing in the life of a believer.

Paul writes, “we are the temple of the living God, as God has said …” [2 Corinthians 6:16]. Then we noted how Paul quotes the words of God that we are going to read later this month in Leviticus. And what did God say to Moses that Paul felt he should quote in his letter?

“I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go from out from their (i.e. the unbelievers) midst and be separate from them … then I will welcome you and I will be a father to you and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.” [2 Corinthians 6:16-18] And what does Paul add after writing this? He paraphrases words from Leviticus 26:11,12. “since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God” [2 Corinthians 7:1]

Seeing that our minds and hearts are the spiritual temple in which God seeks to live - we must ask ourselves - what occupies our minds, what are the things we meditate upon? It is vital that we are positive in reacting to this challenge – how utterly wonderful to have God in our very being, watching over us! We therefore see how important it is that we read God’s word every day. Note how, at the beginning of 2 Corinthians 6, Paul quotes from Isaiah 49:8 – “now is the day of salvation” - think of the hymn Islip Collyer wrote,

We know the end, we know the way,

And some with life he will endow,

Shall we be will him on that day?

We make the answer now.

-------

- DC

07 March 2011

Leviticus 14

Psalms 115; 116

2 Corinthians 8; 9

“I SAID IN MY ALARM”

We came across this phrase in today’s Psalm 116:11. It is an encouraging Psalm, it starts, “I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live”

Yet there are times when we find it hard to call on God; we seem to be overwhelmed by events. The same happened to David, who is almost certainly the writer of this Psalm. We read in Psalm 116:6, “When I was brought low, he saved me. Return O my soul to your rest, for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you”

David talks to himself, telling himself to rest upon the Lord, to remember all the times God has dealt bountifully with him. Count your blessings, we say – and sometimes sing. A great source of reassurance is to always have in mind the blessings we have experienced in the past. But what are we to make of verse Psalm 116:11? “I said in my alarm, ‘All mankind are liars’”

Does that seem an odd thing to be alarmed about? We think he means that he cannot trust anyone. He could not trust his own brothers; remember what they said to him when he came to the army camp when Goliath was challenging Israel? [1 Samuel 17:28] Saul’s son Jonathan was his closest friend; remember his lament when Jonathan was killed in battle?

Last week we read in Corinthians of the frictions between members, some were even taking each other to court “To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather suffer wrong? Why not rather be defrauded? But you yourselves wrong and defraud – even your own brothers! Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?” [1 Corinthians 6:7-9] They were blind to that fact! We must not be!

Remember how the Psalm started? “I love the LORD …” If we can say that with all our heart, then we will not be despairingly alarmed and distressed by those around us who behave and speak badly towards us. Have a look at what David says after lamenting that all men are liars – in particular meditate on what “the sacrifice of thanksgiving” means in practice. [Psalm 116:17]

-------

- DC

08 March 2011

Leviticus 15

Psalms 117; 118

2 Corinthians 10; 11

“UNCLEAN, UNCLEAN”

Those suffering with leprosy in Bible times were expected to cry out “Unclean, unclean” so that people would know not to touch him or her for fear of contagion. Today’s reading in Leviticus 15, might seem rather boring, but it has valuable lessons of which all the world was ignorant until about 200 years ago.

The word ‘Leprosy’ in Leviticus covers a multitude of skin infections, some serious, some not. In the last 2 days we have seen that it was the Priest’s responsibility to determine which was serious and see that action was taken. We read about the precautions with sick people and others who had bodily discharges so as to prevent the spread of dangerous infection.

Those unclean with a “discharge” were not to touch anyone “without having rinsed their hands in water”. The person touched by someone unclean was also regarded as unclean until the evening and was required to “wash his clothes and bathe himself” [Leviticus 15:11] They also had to cleanse the drinking and other vessels they used.

It is only a few generations since our world discovered how infections spread and the great importance of hygiene; before then countless deaths and plagues occurred. In the 19th Century a few medical men, suddenly realizing that the Bible had such laws given by God 4,000 years earlier became convinced it really was a divine revelation from God and became convinced the Bible was a Divine book..

In today’s 2 Corinthians 11 we see a spiritual counterpart! Paul laments that some were easily “led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.” He then writes, “if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough.” [2 Corinthians 11:3-5]. Then he makes the point, “such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.” [2 Corinthians 11:13]

The tragedy today is that many accept an “unclean” gospel – but some, by God’s grace, come to realize this and go through a cleansing process. We also read that if really bad behaviour is not cleansed, there is a parallel action to be taken to that of leprosy in dealing with it. See what Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 5:9-13.

-------

- DC

09 March 2011

Leviticus 16

Psalms 119:1-40

2 Corinthians 12; 13

"FOR WHEN I AM WEAK, THEN I AM STRONG"

What a contradiction that statement of Paul seems to be! Could we say that? The final 2 chapters of 2nd Corinthians [2 Corinthians 12;13] which we read today is an emotional plea to the believers at Corinth. In both his letter to Galatians 4:11 and 1 Thessalonians 3:5 Paul says “I am afraid I may have laboured over you in vain”. We read today how he is equally concerned about the converts he has made at Corinth.

Jesus made Paul weak when he blinded him on the road to Damascus. Believing in Jesus can lead some people to become proud. The Jewish leaders were proud of their heritage as “the children of Abraham” but Jesus said, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would be doing what Abraham did” [John 8:39] And what did Abraham do? He did things in faith! His belief in God changed his life! And Paul came to really know God through knowing God’s Son, it changed his life – it gave him something genuine to live for! We all have to ask ourselves, what is changing our lives?

As Paul brings his letter to a conclusion he bluntly says, “Examine yourselves whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves.” [2 Corinthians 13:5] Are you really living by faith? Corinth was a very immoral city, and the potential failure of some to “meet the test” may well be that they had been overcome by the environment in which they lived.

Paul writes, “I fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality they have practiced” [2 Corinthians 12:21] If Paul was alive today would he have cause to mourn if he visited the place where you worship or came to your home?

Paul wrote in verse 9 that Jesus had said to him, “my power is made perfect in weakness” [2 Corinthians 12:9] The “power” of the religious leaders who crucified Christ – was destroyed by their exercise of power! What a challenge to follow in the footsteps of Paul when he wrote, “I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” [2 Corinthians 12:10] At the end of his first letter he had written, “Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.” [1 Corinthians 16:13] Surely a message for today.

-------

- DC

10 March 2011

Leviticus 17; 18

Psalms 119:41-80

Luke 1

"IT IS GOOD FOR ME THAT ... "

What is good for us? It is good – to have good health! It is good to have sufficient money – there might be a temptation to say “plenty of money”! But in Proverbs the point is made, “give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me” [Proverbs 30:8] Paul advised Timothy in his letter, “there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.” [1 Timothy 6:6-8]

But it is not about money or possessions that David writes. What is more he makes the point in 3 different ways in the space of a few verses in today’s portion of Psalm 119! In Psalm 119:71 we read, “It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes.” Four verses earlier he had written, “Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your way.” Then in Psalm 119:75 “I know O Lord, that your rules are righteous, that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.”

Is it possible that David had become such a popular hero after slaying Goliath and then becoming so successful that the “women sang to one another as they celebrated, Saul has struck down his thousands and David his ten thousands” [1 Samuel 18:7] that God knew he then needed a time of affliction to prevent any tendency to become proud? It is affliction that refines our faith.

Think of Paul, then called Saul, setting out for Damascus, a proud man. He was full of misguided zeal. But God’s knew his heart, knew he was “kicking against the goads” and saw his great potential as his “chosen vessel” He was to be afflicted; he entered Damascus blind and later had to leave it “by night” - they “let him down through an opening in the wall, lowering him in a basket” [Acts 9:25]

But in seeing the big picture of the meaning of life and the absolute wonder of the relationship with Jesus and God, Paul would have agreed with David, “It is good for me that I was afflicted.” Let us reflect on our lives – what has been “good” for us?

-------

- DC

11 March 2011

Leviticus 19

Psalms 119:81-128

Luke 2

"I HATE EVERY FALSE WAY"

The above statement is what ends our Psalms reading today and we thought how many false ways surround us! We are in danger of being overwhelmed by them. Our Leviticus reading [Leviticus 19] is most interesting as it is largely an expansion of the 10 commandments; it includes what Jesus calls – “the second commandment” which was not part of the original ten. Leviticus 19:18 reads, “You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge … but you shall love your neighbour as yourself: I am the LORD.”

If people really tried to observe that law today what a difference it would make! We expect this will be one of the laws people will have to obey in God’s kingdom, the divine presence will be evident – and with God’s all-seeing eyes in operation the “dragon” of sin [Revelation 20:2] will be “bound for a thousand years” when “out of Zion shall go the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem” [isaiah 2:3] But so many love the “false way” of living that when they are given freedom at the end of the 1,000 years they seize the chance to rebel – but are destroyed as a result [Revelation 20:7-9].

Looking again at David’s Psalm we see his expression of love for God’s words in contrast to the “false way.” “Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation.” [Psalm 119:97-99]

What is the wisest way to live our lives? Each person must make their own answer – but it should be an answer that is conscious of the all seeing eyes of God. David sensed this therefore he wrote, “I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word” [Psalm 119:101] Do we ever have honey with our breakfast? David says, “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth … therefore I hate every false way.” [Psalm 119:103,104] It is most important that we start each day with that which is better than honey.

-------

- DC

12 March 2011

Leviticus 20

Psalms 119:129-176

Luke 3

"WHAT THEN SHALL WE DO?"

The question above was the question “the crowds asked” in our reading in Luke 3 today. You may recognise it as the same question the crowds asked Peter on the day of Pentecost, when Peter answered “Repent and be baptised.” But we saw today that John the Baptist gave a different answer to those that were coming to him to be baptised!

We read in Luke 3:10-11 of that answer!

John had been giving them a stern message; he had even called them, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruits in keeping with repentance …” [Luke 3:7,8] Why did they go out into the deserted part of the Jordan to see John? Curiosity? John was not doing miracles. What answer did they get to their question? Luke 3:11 tells us he said, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise” They lived in a world of inequalities, the “haves” and the “have nots” It is the same today. How many have many sets of clothes? One of the most important things Jesus said was, as we will soon read in Luke 12:15, “be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions”

Today, buying the latest gadgets, clothing styles, latest foods, is the main aim of most people in many countries. John spoke as if having two of something was one too many – if there was someone with none! Attitudes were all wrong then, they are even more so today. These attitudes must not occur among true believers. However we are surrounded by those who are godless and David in Psalm 119 today writes, “Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek your statutes” [Psalm 119:155]. There are only two paths, either FOR him or AGAINST him. David further writes, “I look at the faithless with disgust" [Psalm 119:158]

But he finishes by becoming very positive, “my heart stands in awe of your words. I rejoice at your words like one who finds great spoil.” [Psalm 119:161,162] Rejoice? Only if we practice what we read – then we will know the wonder of being a child of God, for “great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble…” [Psalm 119:165]

-------

- DC

13 March 2011

Leviticus 21

Psalms 120; 121; 122; 123; 124

Luke 4

DOES MY HELP COME FROM THE HILLS?

Psalm 121 today begins with a question – and sometimes this is not recognised. The Psalmist is lifting up his eyes to the hills and asking, “from where does my help come?”

The pagan people around and all too often the Jewish people also, looked to high places where they felt they would be nearer where their God’s dwelt. When travelling in India you frequently see hill tops crowned with Hindu temples.

Psalm 121:2 answers the question, stating, “My help comes from the LORD who made heaven and earth.” That is just as true today! But what sort of help can seekers expect? Well this Psalm is the second of 5 short Psalms to be read today and they are all called ‘A SONG OF ASCENTS’ Among the Jews these and the ten Psalms which follow are generally understood to be the songs that were sung as they went up to Jerusalem to worship in the Temple. In some cases they would be coming from distant lands – remember the man from Ethiopia that Philip was sent by the Spirit to meet? “he had come to Jerusalem to worship and was returning” [Acts 8:27]. Recall Isaiah’s vision! “It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established as the highest of the mountains … and many people shall come and say, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD” [isaiah 2:2,3]

So what did the pilgrims going up to Jerusalem sing about? Do these Psalms foreshadow at all the future going up to Jerusalem? The first one [Psalm 120] is, “In my distress I cried to the LORD and he answered me. Deliver me O LORD, from lying lips, from a deceitful tongue” [Psalm 120:1,2] This illustrates the kind of help that was sought – and given - to genuine worshippers of God like David. It also shows the frame of mind of those who do not know God that those going up to Jerusalem leave behind! Psalm 121 ends, “The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and for evermore.” The Lord will watch over all the ways in which we travel, if we firmly believe our help comes from the Lord. The verse will find its complete fulfilment when Jesus returns and the kingdom is established.

-------

- DC

14 March 2011

Leviticus 22

Psalms 125; 126; 127

Luke 5

“BUT AT YOUR WORD I WILL …”

Who told Jesus to go away from him after he had seen a remarkable miracle? It was Peter and he had said if Jesus gave the word, he would obey! The man was Simon Peter and in our reading today we see that Jesus first used Peter’s boat as a preaching platform. Now “when he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch” [Luke 5:4]

Now Peter earned his living by fishing, he really knew when and where the fish were most likely to be. He answers, “Master, we toiled all night and took nothing!” [Luke 5:5]. With what frame of mind would he then add, “But at your word, I will let down the nets.” It is hard to imagine he would have any sure expectation that a lot of fish would be caught.

The nets become so full of fish that they are breaking and they need the help of others from another boat! The fish “filled both boats so that they began to sink” [Luke 5:7] Peter is overwhelmed, he gasps out, “Depart from me for I am a sinful man, O Lord” [Luke 5:8]

Because of his intimate knowledge of fishing this miracle shocks him far more than the healing of his mother-in-law’s fever and other sick people we read of yesterday. He realises the power of Jesus to do anything and is confronted by his own unworthiness. Do we ever get confronted by our own sense of unworthiness? What about when the miracle of the return of Jesus starts to unfold before our eyes?

Can we really believe Jesus is with believers in spirit now? Turn up 1 John 4:4; 1 John 4:15-17 and meditate on them. Surely we believe the spirit of Christ is all around us to convey our prayers to God. Speaking for ourselves we look back on our lives and realize this to ever greater degrees as the years pass.

Peter is told by His Master, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men” [Luke 5:10] It is life’s greatest challenge to follow Jesus. Are we up to that challenge? When Peter told Jesus to “Depart from me” - Jesus did the very opposite.

-------

- DC

15 March 2011

Leviticus 23

Psalms 128; 129; 130

Luke 6

"BUT WITH YOU THERE IS FORGIVENESS"

Our Psalms and Luke readings today link together in encouraging us to think and live positively in a world that buffets us with false values. There are times when these greatly affect us and they threaten to be overwhelming. These Psalms provide us with encouragement should that be our experience.

Psalm 130 is an outstanding example: “Out of the depths I cry to you O LORD … be attentive to the voice of my pleas for mercy! If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness, that you may be feared.” [Psalm 130:1-4]

Then the question arises, what counts as iniquities? In the days of Moses and ancient Israel the people would look to the 10 commandments; but Jesus, as we read in Luke 6 today describes Christ-like behaviour as being much more than avoiding bad behaviour like stealing and committing adultery.

Jesus taught, “But I say unto you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you … “ [Luke 6:27,28] Then Jesus lays down what is often called ‘the golden rule’ saying, “as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.” [Luke 6:31]

It has always been the greatest challenge to live as God requires. David knew this. Jesus came to spell it out in plain language – and live it - to set us an example. With gratitude we remember David’s words – and see his life as an example, especially for us, if we stumble off the narrow pathway that Jesus described [Matthew 7:14]. We therefore need more especially to remember David’s words that God is “feared” because with him “there is forgiveness.” He is not feared because he is an angry God, rather he is feared (‘held in the deepest reverence’ it means in this context – because he is a loving God). Tomorrow’s Psalm 131 is specifically by David. He writes, “O LORD, my heart is not lifted up … I have calmed and quieted my soul like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.” [Psalm 131:1,2]

-------

- DC

16 March 2011

Leviticus 24

Psalms 131; 132; 133; 134

Luke 7

"WISDOM IS JUSTIFIED BY ALL HER CHILDREN"

Jesus challenged his hearers to think deeply on the meaning of what he said, he never answered questions with a straight ‘Yes’ or ‘No’. His response to the disciples of John the Baptist when they came to him with a question is particularly interesting. He sent them to Jesus to ask, “Are you he who is to come, or shall we look for another?” [Luke 7:20]

They are told, “Go and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the poor have the good news preached to them” [Luke 7:22]. Those who really knew the prophets would see how Jesus was fulfilling what was prophesied of the Messiah. Surely John knew these Scriptures! His problem was that his mind was focussed on the part of the prophesies that he most longed to see fulfilled, he had preached, concerning the Messiah, as we read 4 days ago, “His winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.” [Luke 3:17] The world is now so full of “chaff” that “fire” is surely getting closer and the harvest almost complete.

What Jesus was doing was fulfilling another aspect of Isaiah’s prophecies. God’s Son had a servant role to fulfil first before he became a conquering king, see Isaiah 42:1-4; 42:6,7 etc. The religious leaders who should have seen the significance of his deeds were blind to it (note Isaiah 42:18,20). It is a lesson today for us and all who read God’s word, read carefully, read it all!

Now note what Jesus says, Luke 7:31-34, “For John the Baptist came eating no bread and drinking no wine and you say, He has a demon. The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners! Yet wisdom is justified by all her children.”

Some people are devoid of positive thought toward righteousness, they only look to find something to criticise. The world today is almost totally like that in their attitude to the Bible and God’s creative work. Are we affected by this human “wisdom?” We must apply our minds to divine wisdom more and more and that is why we need to read the Bible every day to properly grasp that divine wisdom.

-------

- DC

17 March 2011

Leviticus 25

Psalms 135; 136

Luke 8

"WHATEVER THE LORD PLEASES HE DOES"

This quotation from today’s Psalm [Psalm 135:6] is a challenge to our perception of the ways of God, let’s think about this. Today, at least in this country, the attitude is that you must let children do as they please! The reasoning is that parents must not stunt the development of their personality. We strongly suspect that the wild behaviour we are seeing so much among young people these days is one of the outcomes. The police have increasing problems in keeping law and order among the young.

In contrast to this when we read, “whatever the LORD pleases he does in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps” we do not think God is in any way treating the earth like a toy – indeed the very opposite. Verse 8 refers to how he “struck down the firstborn of Egypt” and he “sent signs and wonders against Pharaoh” [Psalm 135:8,9] – so God is involved in life on earth even though the most important men, like Pharaoh, blindfold their minds to the fact.

Our thoughts ran along these lines as we listened to this morning’s news. The news was totally bad, it was all about problems and catastrophes around the world, the worst being the really scary nuclear reactor meltdown in Japan. The phrase “in all deeps” in Psalm 135:6 arrested our attention. In the past what happened in the depths of the ocean did not seem to matter especially as those deeps are deeper than the earth’s highest mountains. The mighty earthquake below the deep waters off Japan triggered that awesomely destructive tsunami; its effects are stunning leaders and people around the world.

The same Hebrew word, that is used for “deeps” occurs in Genesis 7:11 about the start of the flood when “all the fountains of the great deep burst forth” The world should be thankful that God has promised that “never again shall there be a flood to destroy all the earth.” [Genesis 9:11] Today in the world there is increasing fear of the future. In contrast we read in Psalm 112 that “the righteous will never me moved … he is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm trusting in the LORD. His heart is steady; he will not be afraid.” [Psalm 112:6-8]

-------

- DC

18 March 2011

Leviticus 26

Psalms 137; 138; 139

Luke 9

"LEAD ME IN THE WAY EVERLASTING"

Today’s Psalm, which ends in the above words, is one of the most personally inspiring in the Bible. David pours out some of the most heart moving thoughts to be found in the Scriptures. He unfolds his deepest thoughts and meditations about God, the ones about the wonder (and the seeming impossibility) of having a real and meaningful relationship with him.

O LORD, he says, you know absolutely everything about me, “you have searched me … you discern my thoughts from afar” [Psalm 139:1,3]. We sense David is reflecting on all the experiences of his remarkable life and has become overwhelmed by the realization of the ways God has been with him every step of the way. A major first step, when he laid the foundation of his life, would have been the time he was a shepherd boy, sleeping with his sheep, watching over their safety. This contributed to his ‘vision’ in Psalm 19 – “The heavens declare the glory of God.”

It is essential our lives are built on a foundation of this perception of the one true God and David’s son was to write, “Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth …” [Ecclesiastes 12:1]. David, in sensing that God has such immense power that he sees hears and knows all, asks in today’s Psalm “Where shall I flee from thy presence?” [Psalm 139:7]. The answer is that it is impossible to do so, especially when you have claimed that the LORD as your God. He possesses you! David says that even if he was able to “dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me and your right hand shall hold me.” [Psalm 139:9,10]

Jesus is now at the “right hand” of God [1 Peter 3:22] and as he left this earth he told his disciples, “behold I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (last verse of Matthew) So we sense Jesus now take’s on God’s role for those who believe in him. How natural, since he is their mediator. [1 Timothy 2:5]. We must really memorize the last 2 verses of this Psalm; David’s closing pleas must be our plea. “Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

-------

- DC

19 March 2011

Leviticus 27

Psalms 140; 141; 142

Luke 10

"WHEN MY SPIRIT FAINTS ... THEN YOU KNOW MY WAY"

In contrast to the wonderful spiritual perceptions of Psalm 139 which we read yesterday, today we have a Psalm which is in some ways the opposite. The superscription at the start says it was a prayer of David when he was in a cave. David was twice in great peril in caves, once when he fled from the King of Gath and the second when he was hiding from Saul at Engedi. Imagine being totally on your own, hiding. In some circumstances you are totally perplexed as to what to do next, your “spirit faints.”

David writes, “I cry out to the LORD … I plead for mercy to the LORD … I tell my trouble before him. When my spirit faints within me, you know my way!” [Psalm 142:1-3] God knew his way – yet David had lost sight of this and laments, “no refuge remains for me; no one cares for my soul.” [Psalm 142:4]. In the next verse he regains his vision, “I cry out to you, O LORD; I say, ‘You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.’ Attend to my cry, for I am brought very low!” [Psalm 142:5,6]

Such is our human nature that while we can at times climb spiritual heights we can, in times of distress, lose sight of the wonder that our Lord Jesus and our Heavenly Father should always be our portion, our refuge so that when we are cast down and our spirit faints within us we can say to God, “you know my way.”

Our reading in Luke today provides a useful lesson; it is the failure of the people of Capernaum to appreciate the wonder of “the mighty works” that had been done there. In a sense, this city had been “exalted to heaven” [Luke 10:15] because of what they had witnessed. Jesus means this experience should have caused great repentance and humility. But it didn’t, so Jesus says, “You shall be brought down to Hades (the grave)”

Today, clever scientists are discovering more and more of the incredible wonders of creation – yet they explain them all away as evolution! They, and all who agree with them, will suffer the same fate as Capernaum! Let us open our eyes as we read God’s words every day and be “exalted to heaven” seeing the meaning of life from a heavenly point of view.

-------

- DC

20 March 2011

Numbers 1

Psalms 143; 144

Luke 11

"ASK AND IT WILL BE GIVEN YOU"

It sounds too good to be true, “ask and it will be given you”! These were the words of Jesus we read today in Luke 11:9 This invitation is after the Lord teaches his disciples how to pray in the familiar words of the Lord’s Prayer. After giving them the words of the prayer Jesus immediately tells them a parable about a man who unexpectedly receives visitors at midnight and has nothing in his house to set before them. His solution! To go to his friendly neighbour and knock him up although he knows he and his family have gone to bed.

The neighbour does not want to be disturbed, but the man persists and so he relents, so “he will rise and give him whatever he needs” [Luke 11:8]. This is the prelude to our opening quotation and leads us to perceive that Jesus is drawing a parallel between human attitudes in helping those in real and urgent need and the more ready availability of God’s help if we will but ask.

Now the prayer he had just taught them included, “Give us each day our daily bread.” That is not an abundance of bread, but bread sufficient for each day. In the environment of 2,000 years ago – as in many countries today – sufficient food for the day is far from certain. The words of Jesus are not an invitation to ask for whatever you like – but for whatever you need, which is vastly different.

Jesus proceeds to draw a parallel to parents providing the right kind of gifts for their children such as a fish or an egg. [Luke 11:11] He then says, “If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” [Luke 11:13].

Now in yesterday’s chapter we read that Jesus sent out 72 disciples to preach and “heal the sick” [Luke 10:9]. So they had the Holy Spirit already: but is this what it means here? The Greek text does not have a definite article, so it is not “the” Holy Spirit; we see it being better understood as meaning - holiness of spirit or mind. This fits in with words in Hebrews 12, “he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness” [Hebrews 12:10] and “Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord” [Hebrews 12:14] So what will you ask for?

-------

- DC

21 March 2011

Numbers 2

Psalms 145; 146; 147

Luke 12

“TO ALL WHO CALL UPON HIM IN TRUTH”

We are sad we are nearly at the end of the Psalms, we complete them in just 11 weeks, a pity. The Psalms for today are special. Much of Psalm 145 appears to be designed to be sung when God’s Kingdom is established on earth: it had its initial use during the glories of Solomon’s kingdom. We sing to God of a time when “every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever” [Psalm 145:2] “On the glorious splendour of your majesty and on your wondrous works, I will meditate. They shall speak of the might of your awesome deeds … they shall pour forth the fame of your abundant goodness and shall sing aloud … “ [Psalm 145:5-7]

David continues “… all your saints shall bless you! They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom and tell of your power to make known to the children of men your mighty deeds and the glorious splendour … your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom.” [Psalm 145:10-13]. Well Solomon’s was not everlasting and his natural son dismally failed to maintain its fame among the nations. It needs the return of the Lord Jesus as king of the world to complete this fulfilment.

The next words that are sung are personal: “the LORD is near to all who call upon him, to all who call upon him in truth” [Psalm 145:18]. The LORD seeks those who approach him with a true heart, who show that “truth” by the way they live – which the religious leaders in the time of Jesus failed to do. Psalm 146 gives us an example of a truth, which many today do not want to believe, especially when someone has just died.

“Put not your trust in … man in whom there is no salvation; when his breath departs he returns to the earth; in that very day his plans (thoughts, ambitions) perish.” [Psalm 146:3,4].

Is this a difficult truth to face? But while death is a ceasing of our mind and body now David is very positive about his hope beyond the grave, “as for me,” he prays to God, “I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.” [Psalm 17:15]. Or, as God tells Isaiah, “Your dead shall live, their bodies shall rise. You who dwell in the dust, awake and sing for joy” [isaiah 26:19]. As we call upon God and sing of the glories of the coming kingdom we can rejoice in this truth.

-------

- DC

22 March 2011

Numbers 3

Psalms 148; 149; 150

Luke 13; 14

"WERE THEY WORSE SINNERS ... BECAUSE THEY SUFFERED IN THIS WAY?"

In reading Luke 13 today we pondered the interesting conversation Jesus had with “some present” about recent tragedies.” This led Jesus to query whether they thought that these events, such as when a tower fell down and killed 18 people, was because they “were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way?” [Luke 13:2]

Jesus answers his own question, “No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish” [Luke 13:3]. We have seen some terrible events recently: we have had many extreme weather events causing fires and floods, also awesome earthquakes and tsunami’s leading to much damage and loss of life. Also, as we type this we are seeing the use of human inventions of greatly destructive power used to destroy other humans in great numbers.

Now atheists have repeatedly said over the years that if there really is a loving God he would do something to stop such tragedies. This is the cynicism of the scoffer who is devoid of understanding the nature of the God revealed in the Bible. The comment of Jesus is significant: “do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.” [Luke 13:5]

Most did not repent and Jerusalem and its Temple were destroyed 40 years later. History was repeating itself from more than 600 years before. At that time Ezekiel had written, “Repent and turn away from all your transgressions lest your iniquity be your ruin … make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! … I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Lord GOD; so turn and live.” [Ezekiel 18:30-32]

The message is the same today! Indeed it is more urgent today than ever before as we are reaching the climax of human history. How long before that climax is reached we do not know, but there is to “be a time of trouble such as has never been … and none of the wicked shall understand, but those who are wise shall understand” [Daniel 12:1,10]. God’s word is the only source of that wisdom.

-------

- DC

23 March 2011

Numbers 4

Proverbs 1

Luke 15

"FOOLS DESPISE WISDOM & INSTRUCTION"

Today we start reading “the proverbs of Solomon” [Proverbs 1:1] and the key verse that jumps out at our eyes is “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.” [Proverbs 1:7].

Our minds should be filled with awe as to all that God must be!! The plea of Solomon is, “”Hear my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching.” [Proverbs 1:8] The acceptance and absorption into our minds of such teaching and instruction is like wearing “a graceful garland” – yet today how many parents are able and willing to teach true wisdom to their children? If they are able and willing – their children are surrounded by counter influences – but the need for “wisdom and instruction” has never been greater.

The message contains a strong warning about the ‘opposite’ to true wisdom, the attitude of those who have no time for God – so the blunt warning is made, “if sinners entice you do not consent” [Proverbs 1:10]. Virtually no one thinks of themselves as being a ‘sinner’ these days, sin is an obsolete word! But there is no middle course; the book of Proverbs makes this plain, if you are not on God’s side seeking his will and guidance in making your pathway in life, you are against him.

Wisdom is personified and “cries aloud” – at the same time “scoffers delight in their scoffing.” [Proverbs 1:20,22] But ‘wisdom’ says, “If you turn at my reproof, behold I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you” [Proverbs 1:23] and we can see that God’s Spirit has led to the Bible being written and preserved and our daily feeding on God’s word will guide our lives.

The chapter fittingly concludes, “the complacency of fools destroys them, but whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.”

-------

- DC

24 March 2011

Numbers 5

Proverbs 2

Luke 16

"ONE WHO IS DISHONEST IN VERY LITTLE"

Honesty seems to be an increasingly rare commodity in the 21st Century. Cheating the Govt at least a little is a common practice. There is surprise when one hands back money when you have been given too much change when making a purchase!

We read today a parable Jesus told about a manager who worked for a rich man and who was doing his job poorly and “wasting his possessions” [Luke 16:1]. This man had his mind fully set on this life and learning he was going to lose his job “summoning his master’s debtors one by one” [Luke 16:5]. He comes to an arrangement with them to reduce the records about how much they owe his Master: this will obligate them to give him some support when he loses his job.

The rich man commends “the dishonest manager for his shrewdness” saying, “for the sons of this world are more shrewd in their dealing with their own generation than the sons of light” [Luke 16:8]. It appears to be a cynical statement and is followed by a strange statement, “And I tell you make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous wealth, so that when it fails they may receive you into eternal dwellings.” [Luke 16:8,9]

The point Jesus is making is that the “eternal dwellings” of the unrighteous are tombs – and some elaborate tombs have been found by archaeologists, including tombs of the High Priests family – a miniature replica of the Temple. This is the only future they can expect because they have made money (and the things it can buy) their main objective in life. Note Jesus’ words, “One who is dishonest in very little is also dishonest in much. If you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches?” [Luke 16:11] His final point is “You cannot serve God and money.” [Luke 16:13]

Now “the Pharisees, who were lovers of money heard all these things and they ridiculed him. And he said to them, ‘You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts.” [Luke 16:14,15] They were blind to the all seeing eyes of God. We must not be blind and we must also be honest and true in our thinking in much more than money.

-------

- DC

25 March 2011

Numbers 6

Proverbs 3

Luke 17

"THE LORD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU"

We are reading in Numbers how the establishment of Israel as an organised nation is now complete. It had been just over a year since they escaped from Egypt; the 10 commandments and other laws had been given, the tabernacle made and erected and is now ready for use. The priesthood has been appointed, led by Aaron.

Our chapter today [Numbers 6] concludes in a very significant way.

“The LORD spoke to Moses, saying, ‘Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying,Thus you shall bless the people of Israel: you shall say to them,

The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.”

This was a very special blessing: they were about to celebrate the Passover of their deliverance a second time and then head for the promised land – the land promised to their forefathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Read the words of this blessing again, encouraging words to stimulate positive thought that the LORD is with you. It is a most interesting phrase to: “make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you”. David makes reference to this no less than 7 times in his Psalms. Moses, we know, “knew God face to face” [Deuteronomy 34:10] a relationship specially created by their 40 days together on the mountain top.

Our heavenly Father seeks a personal relationship with us through His Son the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus said, “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.” [John 14:9] Jesus represented the Father who himself “dwells in unapproachable light, whom no-one has ever seen or can see.” [1 Timothy 6:16].

We normally sing these words in seeking the LORD’s blessing at a baptism. They have intense meaning to illustrate the wonder of the relationship God invites us to have with him. We must remember them throughout our lives, being conscious of the way so many of the people of Israel failed to be conscious of them when they faced challenges in the wilderness.

-------

- DC