TFTBR - January 2011

Resource Manager

26 January 2011

Genesis 42; 43

Psalms 46; 47; 48

Matthew 28

"WITH FEAR AND GREAT JOY"

‘Fear’ and ‘Joy’ do not usually mix together, but they did for that group of women who came to the tomb in which they had laid Jesus “after the Sabbath” was over – as we read in today’s final chapter of Matthew’s Gospel. It is desirable to put together the testimonies of all four gospels to get a full picture of events on that incredible morning of the resurrection.

Matthew tells us “toward dawn … Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb” [Matthew 28:1]. Mark’s Gospel tells us the same thing, adding that Salome was with them [Mark 16:1], which is indicated in Matthew 27:56 as “the mother of the sons of Zebedee” – but it seems only the two Mary’s witnessed the burial [Matthew 27:61]. Mark says they “bought spices so that they might go and anoint him” and “it was very early” [Mark 16:1,2].

Luke’s record is similar, that it was “early dawn” and that previously “the women who had come with him from Galilee followed and saw the tomb and how the body was laid. Then they returned and prepared spices and ointments.” [Luke 23:55,56; 24:1] John only mentions Mary Magdalene in his Gospel coming “early while it is still dark” [John 20:1] and she then runs to tell Peter and himself that the stone has been taken away from the tomb. These slight variations help to convince us that these are independent testimonies.

This is the greatest event in their lives and they give considerable detail, which is very understandable.

Imagine being there yourself. Sense the emotion of “fear and great joy” that unfolded. We usually understand the Bible use of the word fear in this context as a sense of overwhelming awe – rather than being terrified.

Matthew told us in yesterday’s reading that “Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were sitting opposite the tomb” [Matthew 27:61] as Joseph of Arimathea “took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen shroud and laid it in his own new tomb” [Matthew 27:59,60] John adds the information that Nicodemus helped him [John 19:39,40] The women waited with no doubt great impatience until the Sabbath(s?) were over so they could embalm his precious body, touching it, so they thought, for one last time. The events that followed the next morning (and did they sleep at all that night?) makes us think that the words “with fear and great joy” after the angel told them “he has risen as he said” [Matthew 28:6-8] and they saw the tomb empty - are inadequate to describe their emotions! And what is adequate to describe our emotion when he returns?

-------

- DC

27 January 2011

Genesis 44; 45

Psalms 49

Romans 1; 2

"GIVE EAR, ALL INHABITANTS OF THE WORLD"

The above words are in the opening verse of today’s Psalm 49. This is a little surprising seeing this is the Hymn Book of Israel, so it was a message, in those days, and today, for all people. It is a powerful message! It is a blunt message! It contains some very pointed questions, especially for today.

“Why should I fear in times of trouble” [Psalm 49:5], but as times of trouble multiply with destructive floods, fearsome fires, terrible earthquakes, etc, those with no relationship with God do fear!! It includes “rich and poor together” [Psalm 49:2]. There are also “those who trust in their wealth and boast of the abundance of their riches” and “cheat” others [Psalm 49:5,6].

Now note what the Psalmist observes next! “Truly no man can … give to God the price of his life … that he should live forever … even the wise die … and leave their wealth to others. Their graves are their homes forever.” [Psalm 49:7,9,11] This blunt but true view of human life is summed up in Psalm 49:12, 13 “Man in his pomp will not remain; he is like the beasts that perish. This is the path of those who have foolish confidence.”

But the Psalmist has true confidence arising from his faith in God, But God “will ransom my soul from the power of sheol (the grave) for he will receive me” [Psalm 49:15]. This is in contrast to the last verse of the Psalm, “Man in his pomp, yet without understanding is like the beasts that perish.” We are in no better situation than the animals if we do not establish a true relationship with God. The Psalmist’s hope, in this case David, was well expressed in Psalm 17 we read earlier this month. “As for me” he says to God “I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness” [Psalm 17:15]

We read the same thing today in Paul’s message to the Romans, he preached the same hope, a time for awaking from death when God “will render to each one according to his works” to these “he will give eternal life” [Romans 2:6,7] It will be when “God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus” [Romans 2:16] May all those who know Christ remember the words in Hebrews 4:16 that “no creature is hidden from his (God’s) sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account” May we all have the spirit and hope of David as quoted above from Psalm 17.

-------

- DC

28 January 2011

Genesis 46; 47

Psalms 50

Romans 3; 4

"JUSTIFIED BY HIS GRACE AS A GIFT"

Is it hard to understand what Paul means when he uses the word “grace”? And what about the word “justified”? His letter to the Romans explains this to us. Although this is a primarily a simple concept, it is also very profound. Paul was brought up as a Pharisee and as a leading exponent of Jewish Law was among those who thought that in keeping the Law, with the interpretations and qualifications they put on the Law that had come through Moses, one was approved by God and had ‘earned’ the right for salvation.

A major theme of his letter to the Romans which we are now reading is to make the point that this way of thinking was all wrong. Believers are “justified” – that is seen in God’s eyes to be in a right position before him – because of their faith – in him, a faith which is then shown by how they live their lives in loving appreciative service to him and, as a result, toward one another. Paul writes, “But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the prophets bear witness to it – the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe.” [Romans 3:21-22] Whether you are a Jew or not, and most Romans weren’t, “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus … to be received by faith.” [Romans 3:23-25]

Read those words of Paul again, they mean that, for us, it is vital that we believe the sacrifice of Jesus really happened – and as a result the keeping of the Law came to an end, being fulfilled by the death of Jesus. But we must not view this as a sort of mechanical process, but we must really feel greatly humbled by this event which God brought about. Grace means a forgiveness we have done nothing to deserve. If we do not really believe in faith from our hearts, then this gift of grace will not be seen by God as being truly accepted by us.

We will read tomorrow that our acceptance creates a wonderful spiritual relationship with God and Jesus – to be fully realized when Jesus returns and our faith is turned to sight.

-------

- DC

29 January 2011

Genesis 48; 49; 50

Psalms 51; 52

Romans 5; 6

"ARE WE TO CONTINUE IN SIN THAT GRACE MAY ABOUND"

Today’s Chapters of Romans, Romans 5; 6, contain a great abundance of food for thought. We could not fail to pick up the continuing message of the wonder of God’s grace, God’s readiness to be merciful ­ and that the gift of grace was continually there. Believers cannot earn salvation ­ as the Jewish Priests thought they were doing, and were blind to the sin of pride in the process.

But then arises the most important question - we know we are justified by grace, and as a result accepted as in a right position before God because of our faith, so does it really matter if we keep on sinning? Sadly, some who claim to follow Christ claim it does not matter, ‘Once saved, always saved’ is their slogan ­ but that is not what the Scripture says.

Paul answers the question we have used in our heading today (which is from the first verse of Romans 6) by stating, “By no means! How can we who have died to sin still live in it?” [Romans 6:2]. He writes, we “walk in newness of life” after we have been “buried with him by baptism” [Romans 6:4]. In this “newness of life” there will be times when we stumble and we will see in Romans 7 that Paul at times wrestled unsuccessfully with his human weaknesses [Romans 7:18-25]. This causes him to declare, “wretched man that I am” [Romans 7:24] but note the marvellous climax to his thoughts he develops in Romans 8, it is a mistake to read one chapter without the other.

There is a fascinating parallel to our thoughts in our Psalms reading [Psalm 51] which is David’s incredible Psalm of contrition after his sin with Bathsheba and murder of Uriah. This shows that genuine contrition from the heart will be recognised by God, and the prophet told David “The LORD also has put away your sin” [2 Samuel 12:13]. But that does not mean that there are no consequences to be suffered: this was certainly so in David’s case. But there was a good consequence too! David came closer to God, and the words that he wrote (and this is not the only Psalm treating this matter) have been an encouragement to countless God-fearing men and women in the 2,900 years since then. However, note the blunt warning in Hebrews 10 about the consequences “if we go on sinning deliberately” [Hebrews 10:26] after coming to know God and accepting his salvation. A return to a godless way of life means we have “outraged the spirit of grace” [Hebrews 10:29]

-------

- DC

30 January 2011

Exodus 1; 2

Psalms 53; 54; 55

Romans 7; 8

"YOU HOWEVER ARE NOT IN THE FLESH"

What does Paul mean? We are all made of flesh! Yes, but he is writing in a spiritual sense, he says “those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the spirit set their minds on the things of the spirit” [Romans 8:5]. The word “spirit” in this context is not difficult to understand, it is the opposite to “flesh.” We live in a world where more people than ever set their minds, their desires, mainly or entirely in living for the pleasures of fleshly enjoyments.

The opposite, is to see ourselves as being adopted by God, through Christ. We use the word ‘adopted’ because Paul writes, “you have received the spirit of adoption as sons, by which we cry ‘Abba, Father” [Romans 8:15]. Abba, is the Aramaic word for ‘father.’ Jesus taught us to pray, “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name” [Matthew 7:9] By saying this we acknowledge we have been adopted out of the world and now have a heavenly father and are now “children of God.” How many speak these words ignorant of the this meaning! Paul then says that God’s Spirit “bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God.” [Romans 8:16]. Note also verse 17 and 21. We pray to our Father having no doubt he hears our prayers because of this relationship.

This spiritual relationship is a special source of strength; Paul says, “For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.” [Romans 8:13]. That must mean, live eternally. We recall that Jesus said to his disciples, “The words that I have spoken unto you are spirit and life” [John 6:63]. This gives us a foundation for our spiritual relationship with the Father and our Saviour and each other.

So, seeing we, in a sense, receive the spirit as we read God’s word we must ask, how do we read it? This is a key question because the religious leaders surrounding Jesus read God’s word; but Jesus said to some of them, as we read a few days ago, “You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God.” [Matthew 22:29] It is obvious they read the Scriptures with closed minds. Let us follow Paul’s advice to Timothy, “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth” [2 Timothy 2:15].

------

- DC

31 January 2011

Exodus 3; 4

Psalms 56; 57

Romans 9

"WHAT IS HIS NAME"

We have now moved on to read about the dramatic life of Moses. Exodus 3 is about his special encounter with God at the burning bush. For 40 years he had been living as a shepherd in Midian after fleeing from Pharaoh after his killing of an Egyptian became known. Now “the angel of God appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush” [Exodus 3:2]

We notice this is “the” specific angel that represents the Almighty; the rest of the chapter is written as if God himself is speaking. “Then the LORD (Yahweh) said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt … Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel out of Egypt.” [Exodus 3:7,10]

What intrigued us is the question Moses puts to God. “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you and they ask me ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” Now why would Moses expect the people to ask the name of the God of their fathers? Well the word ‘name’ in certain contexts means reputation – such as when David ‘made himself a name’ [2 Samuel 8:13] and in some contexts in modern versions is translated it as ‘became famous’ and similar.

Moses anticipates his generation of Israelites, will know little about the God of their forefathers and will want to know about his reputation. All their lives they had been surrounded by the religious attitudes of the Egyptians and the legends about their Gods, Osiris, Mont, etc.

God answers Moses by saying, “I AM who I AM”. How is that an answer? We note the footnote in the ESV and RSV versions give the alternative of “I will be what I will be” This is better, it directly relates to YAHWEH, which as the ESV footnote, states ‘is here connected with the verb hayah “to be”.

So God is saying, he is a God who becomes, he will establish his reputation by what he is going to do, not by legends of the past.

We will see, as we read the Old Testament that this point is made quite frequently, for example, Isaiah 63:14 “so you led your people (through Moses) to make for yourself a glorious name” Those who follow the God of the Bible are expected to make for themselves a name, that is, a reputation that is pleasing to God – and in the climax of the ages, when his kingdom rules throughout the earth, God will give them a “new name” [Revelation 3:12]

-------

- DC