TFTBR - November 2017

Resource Manager

26 November 2017

Esther 1

Amos 6

2 Timothy 3; 4

"… AND HAVE FIRMLY BELIEVED" 

Today we completed reading Paul's letters to Timothy whom he calls "my true child in the faith" [1 Timothy 1:2]. Paul writes in a most passionate way. It is a very intimate letter revealing the bond of service to Christ that had grown up between them. He tells him, "You however (in contrast to some others) have followed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my love, my steadfastness, my persecutions …" [2 Timothy 3:10-11]. 

He then makes the point - which has been true in various degrees in all ages – but is not true in countries such as ours, well not in recent decades. Paul states, "all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." [2 Timothy 3:12], but what he then adds is true today – everywhere! "evil people … will go from bad to worse." [2 Timothy 3:13]

The words that come next jump out as a message especially for us. "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed." There must be no doubt in our minds about the foundations of our faith. It must be based, as Timothy's was, on our being thoroughly "acquainted with the sacred writings (the Old Testament) which are able you make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." [2 Timothy 3:15] Of course the New Testament was in the process of being written – and that now adds an extra plank to the foundation of our faith. Peter acknowledges the wisdom God gave to Paul in his writings [2 Peter 3:15]. 

We are not saved through knowledge, but through the wisdom and belief that our knowing the word of God imparts. The Scripture, says Paul, has been "breathed out (i.e. inspired) by God." It is profitable in many ways, "for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" [2 Timothy 3:16].

The result of doing this is so that the man and woman "of God may be competent, equipped for every good work" [2 Timothy 3:17]. Are you becoming so equipped? If you "have firmly believed" you will realize that knowing God and his word, is not just to acquire head knowledge, but to become competent in using it every day, in at least some small way, in a "good work" or word - of some kind.  

We are "known" by our works, just as much as by our words – together they become a witness to others of the reality of our faith. 

-------

- DC

27 November 2017

Esther 2

Amos 7

Titus 1; 2; 3  

"HOLD FIRM TO THE TRUSTWORTHY WORD" 

What things really matter?  Today we read the 3 short chapters that make up the whole of Paul's powerful letter to Titus who is described as "my true child in a common faith" [Titus 1:4]. There is one "faith" which should be "common" to everyone; but the many parts of Christendom shows that is now far from the case.

The Apostle says, "I left you in Crete that you might put what remained into order" [Titus 1:5] His first step is to "appoint elders in every town". They must be married men of such a calibre that "his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination" [Titus 1:6]. Obviously they are experienced older men.

There follows a list of the qualities such elders must possess; "lovers of good, self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke them who contradict it" [Titus 1:9].

Sadly in Crete "there are many who are insubordinate, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision party" [Titus 1:10] - that is, those with a Jewish heritage, they are "teaching for shameful gain what they ought not to teach" [Titus 1:11].

Just as sadly, the effort to make money, sometimes a lot of money, out of practicing religion has been seen in every generation. Paul stresses that Christ "gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works." Titus is told, "Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority" [Titus 2:14-15].

-------

- DC

28 November 2017

Esther 3; 4

Amos 8

Philemon 1  

"IF YOU KEEP SILENT"

We are reading the dramatic story of Esther and how she became the Queen of King Ahasuerus. Haman comes on the scene and wins the King's favour, but Esther's uncle, Mordecai declines to honour him by bowing down as he passes. A proud man, Haman decides to destroy, not only Mordecai but also all the Jews and he sends out an edict in the King's name, for this to happen in month of Adar – chosen by lot [Esther 3:7]. But this is 11 months away! 

Mordecai now stands at "the king's gate" [Esther 4:2] dressed in sackcloth. Esther, within the Palace is not aware of the first of these events. As a Jew, should she speak up? She has not had an audience with the king for 30 days [Esther 4:11] – this only happens when the king calls you: it would cost you your life if you came before the king uninvited, unless he held out the golden scepter.  

Mordecai sends a message to her, "Do not think to yourself that in the king's palace you will escape any more than all the other Jews, For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place … who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" [Esther 4:13-15]. 

Mordecai is conscious of the over-riding hand of God in affairs, causing "all things to work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose" – as Paul told the Romans [Romans 8:28]. The "good" is the good of God's purpose in the all-seeing perspective of the Creator who sees "the end from the beginning" [isaiah 46:10]. 

Paul is making a parallel point in his letter to Philemon that we also read today. This was about Philemon's runaway slave Onesimus who had now become a believer. Paul comments, "For this perhaps is why he was parted from you for a while, that you might have him back forever; no longer as a slave, but more than a slave, as a beloved brother" [Philemon 1:15-16].

Let us not "keep silent" in testifying to the truth when challenging situations arise! If we really believe we are in the service of God because we now, spiritually, belong to his son, having taken on his name, we will become more and more conscious that God has the oversight of our lives and so "all things" are working "together for good." We need to have the "vision" Mordecai wanted Esther to have. 

Now that God's word is so freely available everyone should regularly feed their minds on it. It is "training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives …" [Titus 2:12].  

May it be that you are making – indeed – have made – great progress in your "training" and are holding firm to God's trustworthy word.

-------

- DC

29 November 2017

Esther 5; 6

Amos 9

Hebrews 1; 2 

"YOU HAVE LOVED RIGHTEOUSNESS AND HATED WICKEDNESS, THEREFORE …"

Today we start reading Hebrews; much of this letter is a remarkable testimony to what Jesus achieved. It prevents any impression some might have that the work of Jesus was, sort of automatic, in fulfilling God's will. Having previously spoken "by the prophets" [Hebrews 1:1] God "has now spoken to us by his Son whom he appointed heir of all things" [Hebrews 1:2]. 

A comparison is made between the work of Jesus and the angels. We read how when Jesus completed his work for God on earth, "he sat down at the right hand of the majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs" [Hebrews 1:4]. There follows some comparisons of Jesus with the angels. The first is, "to which of the angels did God ever say, 'You are my Son, today I have begotten you?'  Or again, 'I will be to him a father and he shall be to me a son?'" [Hebrews 1:5].  

We learn that Jesus was "begotten" – he had a beginning – creating a father and son relationship. Hebrews 1:8-9 is a very informative quotation from Psalm 45:6-7. "But of the Son he (i.e. God) says, 'Your throne O God, is forever and ever, the sceptre of uprightness is the sceptre of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.'" This is the only passage where God refers to His begotten Son as "God" – but we must note that it then goes on to say, "therefore God, your God has …" 

The co-equal, co-eternal perceptions of Jesus were inventions of human minds centuries later. Now notice that the exaltation of Jesus was because "you have loved righteousness and hated wickedness".  

Only Jesus succeeded in achieving that completely, but he set the example of the quality of mind those who follow him must aim to develop - that it should be said of them that "you have loved righteousness and hated wickedness" – What do we love? What do we hate? Let us examine our hearts for a genuine, a true answer!

-------

- DC

30 November 2017

Esther 7; 8

Obadiah 1

Hebrews 3; 4; 5  

"THE HOUSE OF ESAU STUBBLE"

Esau was the twin brother of Jacob; when Jacob was given the name Israel, Esau began to be called Edom [Genesis 25:30]. Remarkably both Jacob and Esau had 12 sons – see Genesis 36:9-43, Esau's spread out, certainly as far as the Euphrates [Genesis 36:37]. 

Our reading of the prophecy of Obadiah today reminded us of this remarkable situation – and parallel - in the picture Obadiah was given of the future. We could wish the prophecy was more explicit, but that is actually the case with all prophecy. What we are told challenges our thinking. In Obadiah 1:8 we read, "Will I not on that day, declares the LORD, destroy the wise men out of Edom? What day? Why? "Because of the violence done to your brother Jacob" [Obadiah 1:10]

Is this the answer as to why? "For the day of the LORD is near upon all nations. As you have done, it shall be done to you …" [Obadiah 1:15], Edom is told. For the LORD, for whom time is different, everything is "near."  

Obadiah 1:17-18 reveals "... In Mount Zion shall be those who escape, and it shall be holy, and the house of Jacob shall possess their own possessions (again) The house of Jacob shall be a fire … and the house of Esau stubble …" The return of the exiles is indicated. "The exiles of the host of the people of Israel shall possess the land …" [Obadiah 1:20]

The final verse of the prophecy tells us, "Saviours shall go up to Mount Zion to rule Mount Esau, and the kingdom shall be the LORD's." And when the kingdom is the LORD's God's plan and purpose will have brought into being one of its' major objectives. The king of the kingdom will be Jesus Christ. Will you be there?  

Two verses out of many interesting ones in today's chapters in Hebrews jump out at us. "Take care brothers, lest there be in any of you and evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called today. That none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin" [Hebrews 3:12-13]. Are you being "hardened"? There are lots of factors causing hardening today, but our reading and meditation - in our hearts - on God's word every day provides the cure.

-------

- DC