TFTBR - August 2017

Resource Manager

26 August 2017

1 Kings 21

Jeremiah 48

1 Corinthians 7

"I WILL RESTORE THE FORTUNES OF MOAB IN THE LATTER DAYS"

We have 3 long, interesting and challenging readings today, they are examples of the challenge to get our minds around the words God has caused to be written and preserved. When we do this we get the full picture of God at work, his mercy and forbearance, what he allows and what he condemns, it is a lifetime study.

In 1 Kings 21 we see the LORD's mercy on Ahab, that though "There was none who sold himself to do what was evil in the sight of the LORD like Ahab …" [1 Kings 21:25] that "when Ahab heard those words" of judgement from God ... and fasted and lay in sackcloth and went about dejectedly" [1 Kings 21:27] the LORD said to Elijah, "Because he has humbled himself before me, I will not bring the disaster in his days ..." [1 Kings 21:29]

In Jeremiah, we see how he is caused to prophecy against Moab; it had been a prosperous and helpful country, remember how David took his parents for protection to the king of Moab [1 Samuel 22:3-4] But, we read today how the LORD caused Jeremiah to say [Jeremiah 48:2] - "the renown of Moab is no more", then in Jeremiah 48:7, "because you trusted in your works and your treasures, you also shall be taken."

Nations and people trust in similar things today! But what about Moab? It appears to have been to the east of the southern part of the Dead Sea, an area allotted to the tribe of Reuben. Today it forms a significant part of the nation of Jordan and its' present relationship with Israel is intriguing!  

Our chapter ends significantly, "Yet I will restore the fortunes of Moab in the latter days, declares the LORD" [Jeremiah 48:47]. Jeremiah 48:19 is intriguing; Aroer was a town in Moab (Jordan), the verse says, "Stand by the way and watch, O inhabitant of Aroer" - That is what we must do today in these "latter days" to see how the jigsaw pieces of prophecy fit together!

Our in Corinthians [1 Corinthians 7] also makes a fascinating study; Paul makes a multitude of points about the sanctity of marriage. Paul states that "God has called you to peace." [1 Corinthians 7:15]. "Peace" in believing and behaviour is what we all seek, but to achieve this is a real challenge, especially in our increasingly godless "latter days". Let us all, "Stand by the way and watch" how God is at work in these "latter days."

-------

- DC

27 August 2017

1 Kings 22

Jeremiah 49

1 Corinthians 8; 9 

"IN THOSE DAYS AND AT THAT TIME”

All three of today’s readings are highly interesting, but we see we have made comments on the Kings and Corinthians chapters previously so we decided to look more closely at Jeremiah and his references to “the latter days.” A couple of weeks ago in Jeremiah 30 we encountered the words “at that time” and the statement “in the latter days you will understand” the intentions of the mind of the LORD when, at that time, he executes his “fierce anger” that will “burst upon the head of the wicked.” [Jeremiah 30:23-24] 

Of Israel we read, it is a time when “I will restore health to you, and your wounds I will heal, declares the LORD, because they have called you an outcast: it is Zion for whom no one cares!” [Jeremiah 30:17] All nations are anti-Zion (Israel) today! These words link in with Jeremiah 25 where Jeremiah writes, “the LORD, the God of Israel said to me; ‘take from my hand this cup of the wine of my wrath and make all nations to whom I send you drink it.’” [Jeremiah 25:15].

He did not literally travel to all nations, but his message has gone to all nations in these latter days. Among those mentioned in this chapter are Gaza, Edom and Elam [Jeremiah 25:21-26] climaxing with a sweeping statement “and all the kingdoms of the world that are on the face of the earth.” [Jeremiah 25:26]. He then repeats this for emphasis, the LORD has an indictment (accusation) against all nations; he is entering into Judgement with all flesh” [Jeremiah 25:30] 

Our chapter yesterday [Jeremiah 48] ended with the prophecy “Yet I will restore the fortune of Moab in the latter days” Now ancient Moab ceased as a nation before the time of Christ, it is not mentioned in the New Testament and became largely desert. The start of today’s chapter [Jeremiah 49] is about the Ammonites and says, “afterwards I will restore the fortunes of the Ammonites, declares the LORD” [Jeremiah 49:6] The territories of Ammon and Moab make up today’s Jordan, which has only existed as a nation since 1922 and only come into prominence as Israel also became a nation. 

The last verse [Jeremiah 49:39] today says, “But in the latter days I will restore the fortunes of Elam, declares the LORD” Where is Elam? The TIMES ‘Concise Atlas of WORLD HISTORY’ has a map showing it precisely in the position of Iran today. Elam became part of ancient Persia [Daniel 8:2] and went into oblivion, as with the other nations, until the 20th Century. 

We live at the climax of history, and while we cannot be entirely sure what a number of the prophecies refer to, it is plain what will be the main event in that climax. Verse 4 of tomorrow’s chapter [Jeremiah 50:4] plainly states, “In those days and at that time, declares the LORD, the people of Israel and the people of Judah shall come together, weeping as they come and they shall seek the LORD their God … Come, let us join ourselves the LORD in an everlasting covenant …” 

-------

- DC  

28 August 2017

2 Kings 1; 2

Jeremiah 50

1 Corinthians 10

"ELIJAH WENT UP BY A WHIRLWIND"

Our reading of 2 Kings 2 today records the transfer of responsibility before God from Elijah to Elisha.  

Elisha requests, "Let a double portion of your spirit be upon me." [2 Kings 2:9] and it is significant that it is recorded of Elisha that he ultimately performs twice as many miracles as Elijah. However, in doing God's most important work and conveying God's messages it is evident that Elijah is the greater prophet, he is the one with Moses on the mount when Jesus is transfigured. 

Elisha's sight of his dramatic departure when "Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven" [2 Kings 2:11], is proof to him that he has a double portion of his "spirit." But what kind of "heaven" does he go to? The next use of the Hebrew word for heaven is in 2 Kings 7:2 about whether the "windows of heaven" could be opened to provide flour and food! The rain comes from heaven (eg 1 Kings 8:35). The fact that a letter later came from Elijah to Jehoram, the son-in-law of Ahab, makes it clear Elijah still somewhere on the earth (see 2 Chronicles 21:12).

So God removes Elijah from the scene because his work is finished, just as John the Baptist, whom Jesus refers to as a promised Elijah [Matthew 17:11-12] came – and his work was finished in "turning the hearts" [Malachi 4:6] of people ready for the ministry of Christ. He was removed from the scene to leave the way clear for Jesus. The widespread impact of his work is clear from the way Paul encounters those who only knew the baptism of John – who were a great distance from Israel (see Acts 18:25; 19:3-4)

The heavens of the sky are to be the scene of the most dramatic events yet! When Jesus returns those alive will see him "coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels … and they will gather his elect …" [Matthew 24:30-31] Only those looking for him will really know what is happening. Jesus says, "all the tribes of the earth will mourn … the sun will be darkened … the powers of the heavens will be shaken ..." [Matthew 24:29] Some think this means the political heavens, but it seems more in context to see it as meaning the literal heavens.

-------

- DC

29 August 2017

2 Kings 3

Jeremiah 51

1 Corinthians 11

"THUS SHALL BABYLON SINK"

We have nearly completed the book of Jeremiah. Today's chapter of Jeremiah [Jeremiah 51] contains 64 verses and are quite remarkable, a really challenging read. It is all about Babylon and God's judgments on her, that mighty city and the country of the same name. She had destroyed Jerusalem and God's great Temple and taken all its treasures. She is led by a king who, up to this time, had been all conquering. The book of Daniel fills out the details – leading to her climactic collapse. 

Here in Jeremiah we have the Lord's prophecies of that collapse - and we are told, "Jeremiah wrote in a book all the disaster that should come upon Babylon" [Jeremiah 51:60] Seraiah is commissioned by Jeremiah, "When you come to Babylon, see that you read all these words, and say, 'O LORD, you have said concerning this place that you will cut it off, so that nothing shall dwell in it, neither man nor beast, and it shall be desolate forever…. Thus shall Babylon sink, to rise no more …'" [Jeremiah 51:62-64] 

This is still the case today, some years ago Saddam Hussein sought to restore some part of the ruins of Babylon and "seat" himself in it, his effort was a disaster. However, we recognize in some of the wording of this chapter that the LORD caused Jeremiah to "see" far beyond the time of the Babylon he knew. Some of his words are plainly echoed in the book of Revelation. Babylon is a Greek word, but in Hebrew it is the word "Babel" – and we know what happened to Babel.

The name Babylon is symbolic in Revelation of the entire anti-God attitude in the world since the time of Jesus. In these "last days" we can apply it to the negative attitude toward Israel that now inhabits the world, especially in the Middle East. In today's chapter, Jeremiah 51:48 is prophetic of the time when "the heavens and the earth, and all that is in them, shall sing for joy over Babylon …". The next verse [Jeremiah 51:49] says, "Babylon must fall for the slain of Israel, just as for Babylon have fallen the slain of all the earth." Babylon had overcome all the nations in that era.

Earlier verses clearly have a latter day application, "… this is the time of the LORD's vengeance … Babylon was a golden cup in the LORD's hand, making all the earth drunken … therefore the nations went mad.  Sudden Babylon has fallen and been broken … for her judgment has reached up to heaven, and has been lifted up even to the skies." [Jeremiah 51:6-9]

These words are echoed and quoted in Revelation 14:8; 18:3,5-6, 23 etc. God will surely deal with this latter day Babel; when Babel sinks, may we be so related to the wonder of things Divine that we do not fall with the latter day "tower of Babel."

-------

- DC

30 August 2017

2 Kings 4

Jeremiah 52

1 Corinthians 12; 13 

"FAITH, HOPE AND LOVE ABIDE"

Paul's words to the Corinthians surely reflect his own path of growth – spiritual growth! What of our growth? How often do we measure it? By what means? We each must do our own heart searching in answering that question. Our daily reading of God's word feeds our growth? Paul writes about "gifts" - gifts that need to be used – and developed!

Paul tells them that, as members of Christ, "there are varieties of gifts … and there are varieties of service, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone" [1 Corinthians 12:4-6]. These are to be used "for the common good" [1 Corinthians 12:7] - not in competition with each other.  

The Gentiles in Corinth had no Bible to read, and so "through the Spirit" one is given … "the utterance of wisdom … another the utterance of knowledge …" Let us notice that the gift of tongues is mentioned last!

Paul counsels them to "earnestly desire the higher gifts" [1 Corinthians 12:31] adding, "and I will show you a still more excellent way." This brings us to his marvellous exposition on the value of love. In 1 Corinthians 13 one can "have all faith … but have not love" then, says Paul, "I am nothing" [1 Corinthians 13:1-2] 

In 1 Corinthians 12 Paul had made the point, which we might fail to stress, "Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it." Collectively, together we make up "the body of Christ." For, says Paul, "the body does not consist of one member but of many." [1 Corinthians 12:14] 

Believers must team together as parts of Christ's body of believers, using the individual abilities they have been given for the common good – above all, to display and practise the collective character of Christ. In that way, our children who have not yet accepted Christ will be influenced – and of course, unbelievers - if they are seekers, will be attracted.  

Head knowledge is essential, but is only half of "the body" our hearts are the other half! A body is "dead" if it has no heart: Head and heart team together to produce faith.   

The end of 1 Corinthians 13 sums it all up, "So now faith, hope and love abide … but the greatest of these is love." To finish, let us meditate on that application of that verse: to the kingdom age. Hope will be fulfilled and turn into sight, so faith will not be needed. The one thing that will "abide" is "love." That will be the all-embracing spirit of mind in that wondrous time. 

How vital we develop it now if we are genuinely living today with the aim, by His grace, are being there.

-------

- DC

31 August 2017

2 Kings 5

Lamentations 1

1 Corinthians 14  

"IN YOUR THINKING BE MATURE"

Today we read the completion, in 1 Corinthians 14, of Paul's earnest advice to the Corinthians to cease their misuse of the gift of speaking in tongues, that is, other languages, as had taken place in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost [Acts 2]. He sets the gift of tongues in contrast to the gift of prophecy – this gift did not give the ability to predict future events, but, as Paul expresses it, "the one who prophecies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation." [1 Corinthians 14:3] and "the one who prophesies builds up the church." [1 Corinthians 14:4]. Only one man, Agabus, [Acts 21:10] is mentioned in New Testament times, apart from the Apostles, as making predictions about the future. 

It is worth noting that Paul says, "I thank God I speak in tongues more than all of you. Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue." [1 Corinthians 14:18-19]. It is evident that, because of Paul's widespread travels, he had the need to be able to speak in many different languages.

Now we particularly note his "punch" line in the next verse, "Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil, but in your thinking be mature." [1 Corinthians 14:20]. Â  The way to be mature today is to prayerfully read the word of God every day, and really think about what you read.. Paul goes on to tell them, "When you come together … let all things be done for building up" [1 Corinthians 14:26]. If someone did have the gift of tongues they were to keep silent unless there was someone who could give a translation. [1 Corinthians 14:28] The best procedure in their gatherings was to "let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what was said." [1 Corinthians 14:29]  

How excellent is such a procedure, that of weighing up what is said in Bible Classes and at other times – it is not a matter of having a "minister" who does all the talking and all the rest, the listening: but sadly that is largely the way in churches today – there is rarely any weighing up of what is said as to whether it is soundly based on the word of God. 

The last 2 verses in the chapter tell us, "… my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. But all things should be done decently and in order." We have seen that phrase about not forbidding to speak in tongues repeatedly quoted by those who advocate Pentecostalism today! But Paul drew his thought to a conclusion [1 Corinthians 13:8] by stating "as for tongues, they will cease". 

The last verse of that chapter names the 3 things that were to abide, that is, continue. Do you possess those 3 things? We must be mature in our thinking – let us all feed ever more zealously and carefully on God's word. 

-------

- DC