TFTBR - March 2016

Resource Manager

26 March 2016

Numbers 7 

Proverbs 4 

Luke 18  

"WHEN I WAS A SON …"

Solomon in today's chapter in the Proverbs reflects on how his father taught him. "When I was a son with my father … he taught me and said to me, Let your heart hold fast to my words; keep my commandments and live; get wisdom." [Proverbs 4:3-5] Interesting word "insight" – the chapter started with, "Hear, O son a father's instructions and be attentive, that you may gain insight" [Proverbs 4:1] 

Other modern versions render it as gaining "good sense" – looking "inside" a matter. How do you do that? How deeply do you think through decisions, weigh up all the pros and cons? Where do you get your "scales" from so you can weigh up your decisions? Do you consider God's principles – or are you totally motivated by human desires? 

"Hear my son," Solomon continues, "and accept my words that the years of your life may be many" [Proverbs 4:10] He adds, "be attentive to my words … Keep them within your heart … keep your heart with all diligence for from it flow> the springs of life … ponder the path of your feet then all your ways will be sure" [Proverbs 4:20,21,23,26] 

So Solomon listened to his father David and before David died he appointed him king. [1 Kings 2:1-4]. It is likely too that Solomon was taught by his mother as most think that the reference to "King Lemuel" in Proverbs 31, is a code name for Solomon himself.  

But the tragedy is that Solomon in his old age failed to prepare his son Rehoboam for the kingship, nor is there any indication that he had a wife who played her part in training the next generation. Remember, in drawing lessons from the Bible we are instructed just as much by the failures, as by the successes. 

So many take little notice of instructions and only look at them when they find what they have bought is not working properly, if at all. But that approach is fatal in human relations, when they break down they are extremely difficult to repair. 

Of course, the relationship that matters above all else is our relationship with God and with His Son. We call, or should call, God "Our Father" Does our heart fully embrace the wonder of the fact that we are a Son (or a daughter) of the living, all seeing Creator of all that exists?  Reading His word every day is an essential part of developing that relationship to its wonderful fullness. 

-------

- DC

27 March 2016

Numbers 8; 9 

Proverbs 5 

Luke 19 

"SERVANTS and CITIZENS"

The world calls this "Easter Sunday" but how few have minds alive to what really happened 1,986 years ago (or thereabouts). In our chapter in Luke today [Luke 19] We read that Jesus "proceeded to tell a parable" because they supposed that the Kingdom of God was to appear immediately. He said therefore, "A nobleman (Jesus) went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom and then return. [Luke 19:11-12] We know this parable well. The nobleman calls "10 of his servants and gave them 10 minas and said to them, 'engage in business till I come'" [Luke 19:13] 

A mina coin is the equivalent of 3 months wages for a labourer and they each have the same amount. When the time eventually comes for his return he calls his servants to him to ask how they have traded. Two examples are given, one has doubled his money and another has achieved a 50% increase. Both are commended and given positions of authority. There is another that does nothing with the money, as a result he is called "a wicked servant" [Luke 19:22] All who put no value on the "word" they have been given are seen by Jesus as "wicked." 

What we are inclined to overlook is that there is another class of people in the parable called "citizens." [Luke 19:14] - they are there when he goes away and when he comes back. They are not interested in working for the nobleman at all. The text says, "they hated him" [Luke 19:14]!  

It is the same Greek word as in Luke 14:26 where Jesus challengingly says that the one coming to him must have an attitude of "hate" toward all their nearest relatives "and even his own life" or "he cannot be my disciple."

There is no place for the "lukewarm" [Revelation 3:16] in our relationship with the nobleman. These "citizens" send a "delegation" [Luke 19:14] saying they do not want him as their king! When he returns he counts them as "enemies." 

So the world is made up of 3 kinds of people. Firstly those who are diligent and dedicated in their service to Christ: secondly those who accept his "money" but are not diligent, and thirdly, those who want nothing to do with the nobleman; they do with their lives whatever pleases them. What a tragedy to be in the last class, "as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me." [Luke 19:27] 

How soon now before the world witnesses this "slaughter"? But let us finish on a positive note, let's recall what we read about 4 weeks ago in 1 Corinthians 4:5, "do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God." What will he "bring to light" about you and I and our work as "his servants"? Let us keep asking ourselves this question today – and make sure wee get the right answer.

-------

- DC

28 March 2016

Numbers 10 

Proverbs 6 

Luke 20 

"BIND THEM ON YOUR HEART"

God's word again directs our thoughts to the vital importance of our attitude of "heart" as the most vital thing in our thought processes. We saw in Luke on Saturday that Jesus, "told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart." [Luke 18:1] 

Today in Proverbs 6, Solomon's son is told, "My son, keep your father's commandment, and forsake not your mother's teaching. Bind them on your heart always ..." When you walk, they will lead you; when you lie down, they will watch over you; and when you awake, they will talk with you.... the reproofs of discipline are the way of life ... to preserve you ..." [Proverbs 6:20-24]

Our Heavenly Father's commandments as revealed to us by His Son, are the ultimate guides to our lives, he was Solomon's ultimate descendent, his father David's spiritual "Son". We read on Saturday of how the blind man called out, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me." [Luke 18:38] How much do the spiritually blind today need to cry this out! But they are blind to this need - and it seems harder than ever to encourage them to "see." 

Oh, the wonder of the 'vison' for those who do see! Let us make sure it is our vision. In our Luke 20 today we saw "in vision" that the time is coming when "those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead ... cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection." [Luke 20:35-36]

Jesus ends his discourse with a remarkable statement! "Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for all live to him." [Luke 20:38] The previous verse gives Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as examples of those who "live unto him." 

Peter's comment springs to mind, he tells us "do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." [2 Peter 3:8] Those who are "beloved" and who "live to him" therefore take his words and "bind them on their heart" – and move into his perception of time! Therefore, at the resurrection, it will be as though they have had a very brief "sleep," indeed, they will have had no perception of the passage of time at all. 

So let us constantly encourage each other to "Bind" his word "on (y)our heart" - today - and every day - until the wonder of his coming.

-------

- DC

29 March 2016

Numbers 11

Proverbs 7

Luke 21

"... SUDDENLY LIKE A TRAP" 

Today’s 21st chapter of Luke is very familiar. Can some words become so familiar causing one’s thoughts to simply travel along well-trodden paths and maybe miss some of the intriguing “flowers” along the way? Imagine you were reading this chapter for the first time!

Luke 21:20-24 were definitely fulfilled about 40 years after Jesus spoke them when the massive structure of the Temple was destroyed [Luke 21:6] and the nation ceased to exist. Words that always catch our attention is that “Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.” [Luke 21:24] In Luke 21:29-32 we read of the budding of God’s fig tree, Israel [Joel 1:7] and Jesus’ words, “When you see these things taking place you know that the kingdom of God is near. Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all has taken place.”

How long is a generation? We will soon read in Numbers that “the LORD’s anger was kindled against Israel, and he made them wander in the wilderness forty years until all the generation that had done evil in the sight of the LORD was gone.” [Numbers 32:13] But that does not conclusively prove that the period of a generation is just 40 years. We read in Psalm 90 that “the years of our life are seventy …” [Psalm 90:10] So from when Israel was again established as a nation in 1948 for the first time since AD70, is the climax to come at the most 70 years from then? But the Jews did not possess the old city of Jerusalem until 1967, so could that be the starting date?

Many have exercised their minds greatly on the dates in Daniel 12 and watch movements among the nations of the Middle East. But Jesus says, “Watch yourselves” – look at the particular points he makes, “But watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap.” [Luke 21:34] The hearts of many people around us are weighed down for many reasons such as the tottering uncertainty of the money ‘God.’ Let our Master’s words in Luke 21:36 be ones we really take to heart, “stay awake at all times, praying you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.” Strength? How strong is your faith? Read 1 Corinthians 16:13

-------

- DC 

30 March 2016

Numbers 12; 13 

Proverbs 8; 9 

Luke 22 

"... AND THE LORD HEARD IT"

We have a whole range of  challenging verses that provoke our thoughts in today's chapters.  The first of these is when, as Numbers 12 starts, "Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses" because his wife was not from the 12 tribes.  They said, "Has the LORD indeed spoken only through Moses? Has he not spoken through us also?" And the LORD heard it." [Numbers 12:2]  

How tellingly is this point made in Psalm 94.  " ... how long shall the wicked exult? .... they say, 'The LORD does not see; the God of Jacob does not perceive.' ... Fools, when will you be wise? He who planted the ear, does he not hear? He who formed the eye, does he not see?   He who disciplines the nations, does he not rebuke?.... the LORD-knows the thoughts of man, that they are but a breath. Blessed is the ... (one) whom you teach out of your law (word) ..." [Psalm 94:3, 7-12]  We could continue quoting this Psalm, it is an inspiration in this ever more evil world.

All those who believe they have a genuine relationship with God need to be always fully conscious that "the LORD hears" all.  "Miriam was leprous" after "the cloud was removed" [Numbers 12:10]  Moses cried to the LORD, "O God, please heal her-please." [Numbers 12:13]  And she was healed - but in God's good time.

In Proverbs 8; 9 we have two wonderful chapters that extol the value and need for God given wisdom - they personify "wisdom." Proverbs 8 ends with thoughts we should take to heart. "Hear instruction and be wise, and do not neglect it ... For whoever finds me finds life and obtains favour from the LORD,  but he who fails to find me injures himself; all who hate me love death." Let us "not neglect it" - we have it in our hands to feed our minds on every day.

Luke 22 has the declaration by Jesus that "from now on the Son of Man shall be seated at the right hand of the power of God." [Luke 22:69]  The more we feed on God's word the more we are conscious of the wonder of this - and to where our prayers ascend - and from where our Lord will soon descend.

-------

- DC

31 March 2016

Numbers 14
Proverbs 10
Luke 23

"ALL THE SIGNS I HAVE DONE AMONG THEM"

There is a climax point in most lives – a cross roads where a decision has to be made as to which path we will take! We read yesterday of the conflicting reports of those who had gone up to spy out the land, a 500 mile journey in 40 days. Today we read of the reaction of the mass of the people to those reports; we also read of the further urging of the two who had returned with positive reports. It is clear that these two have confidence in God, whereas the others only see the situation through the eyes of the flesh. The latter want to choose a leader to take them back to Egypt – the focus of their thinking is the variety of food available in Egypt – they forget they have been slaves. All the experiences of worshipping the LORD and the tabernacle has had no real impact on their minds!

Does the same happen today? The same order of priorities? We suspect it does. Now note what the two faithful spies say! "If the LORD delights in us, he will bring us into this land and give it to us … only do not rebel against the LORD. And do not fear the people of the land, for they are bread for us; do not fear them." [Numbers 14:8,9]

But the mass of the people want to stone them, to silence such talk! We have situations today where people try to silence the true message of the Bible; in centuries past some of those who have given the true message have been burnt at the stake!

"But the glory of the LORD appeared" and the situation changes. He declares, "How long will they not believe in me in spite of all the signs I have done among them? I will … disinherit them …" [Numbers 14:11,12] And the same will happen at the return of Christ when the door is shut on the foolish virgins. [Matthew 25:10]
-------
- DC