TFTBR - September 2015

Resource Manager

26 September 2015

1 Chronicles 9

Ezekiel 22

Luke 19  

"THESE ENEMIES ... WHO DID NOT WANT ME"            

Our chapter in Ezekiel continues the saddening denunciation of the people that Ezekiel was commissioned to convey - as “the word of the LORD came to me” [Ezekiel 22:1]  But, as in our the world today, the people were not taking any notice.  The LORD complains, “They have made no distinction between the holy and the common ... I am profaned among them." [Ezekiel 22:26] It is exactly the same today, nothing is holy.

In our chapter in Luke [Luke 19] we first have the account of Zacchaeus who "received him (Jesus) joyfully" [Luke 19:6] Let us all "receive (Jesus) joyfully" into our hearts and minds, and, as a result, we will be increasing strengthened to cope with this godless world.

Jesus teaches a fundamental but vital lesson with his parable of the ten minas.  Each of his servants was to receive the same amount.  But what did these minas represent?  We suggest they mean - the wonder of the knowledge of the gospel - the good news - to transform their thinking - and as a result - their actions - for it is actions that were to show their (and will show our) priorities in life. 

Those who made good use of their minas, were given positions of authority  in the nobleman's kingdom when he returned [Luke 19:16-19]. But the one who failed to make use of his mina, well, said Jesus, "even what he has will be taken away." [Luke 19:26] 

But there is another class of people – those who were "enemies" and showed this by despising the nobleman!  Luke 19:27 has a very sobering message for us!  What is to happen to those whose way of life leads them, like so many today, to ignore Jesus?  The parable shows he counts them as his enemies. 

Jesus concludes his parable by saying, "But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me."   We are in awe of the scriptures which describe this slaughter in some detail!  There are many such scriptures; let's look at one that is less familiar to us! "The LORD is slow to anger and great in power .... The LORD is a jealous and avenging God; the LORD is avenging and wrathful; the LORD takes vengeance on his adversaries and keeps wrath for his enemies." [Nahum 1:3,2] 

But, as for you and I – the question, cannot be avoided!  Are we making good use of our minas?  A final thought – a question!  Have we developed “the full assurance of faith” to endure through the time when “the LORD takes vengeance.”? 

-------

- DC

27 September 2015

1 Chronicles 10

Ezekiel 23

Luke 20 

"THOSE WHO ARE CONSIDERED WORTHY"                                                                                           

We read how those who deny there is a resurrection came to Jesus with a hypothetical story about a woman who had had seven husbands, but no children.  They asked him who would be her husband in the resurrection.  

Jesus said to them, “those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage, for they cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.” [Luke 20:35-36] 

Our first thought about this passage was that, in one sense, no one will be worthy.  No one can “attain to that age” as a result of their way of life.  First, we have to be worthy to receive his grace and as a result attain to the wondrous time of God’s kingdom on this earth – to be established at the time of the resurrection.  

Our second thought was about what the Sadducees believed about a future life – but this seems impossible to determine:  possibly they had been influenced in the Greek concept of a continuing existence of the soul in spiritual realms.  This happened in later centuries when a large part of the Church believed this, especially the R.C’s: this resulted in a contradiction of the Bible’s testimony that there will be a resurrection and judgement when Christ comes. 

History shows that every generation has had those who follow their own imagination – believing what they want to believe!  But “those who are considered worthy” by God - will be those who have been most careful to follow God’s word in what they believe – convictions of heart shown by both their words and actions. 

We note Paul’s commendation of believers in the 2nd letter he wrote to the Thessalonians. We “give thanks to God for you … because your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing.  Therefore we ourselves boast about … your steadfastness of faith … that you may be considered worthy of the kingdom of God …” [2 Thessalonians 1:3-5]  The believers at Thessalonica were enduring many difficulties – and their endurance was an essential part of being “considered worthy”.  Are we going to have a test of endurance?  True believers, such as in Iran, are already having such a test.

Tomorrows chapter in Luke [Luke 21], records Jesus’ words forecasting a time when there will be “distress of nations in perplexity … people fainting with fear and with foreboding of what is coming on the world. For the powers of the heavens will be shaken’ And  then they will see the Son of Man coming …” 

How close are we to that time? There is increasing “perplexity … fear and foreboding” about the future, let us make every effort to possess the “full assurance of faith” and be “considered worthy.”  

-------

- DC

28 September 2015

1 Chronicles 11

Ezekiel 24

Luke 21  

"WATCH YOURSELVES LEST ... THAT DAY ..."

The chaos in the Middle East north of Israel seems to be intensifying, so it seems appropriate that Luke 21 is one of our readings today.  But even more important than watching events in the Middle East, and pondering the words of Jesus that “the time of the Gentiles” will be “fulfilled” when “Jerusalem” is no longer trampled underfoot by the Gentiles” [Luke 21:24] is the need for truly God-fearing people – ourselves – to be more conscious than ever of the words of Jesus that "when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom of God is near." [Luke 21:31] 

The next verse tells us that Jesus said, "Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all has taken place."  A generation is surely at most – 70 years! 

It is at this awesome time (now surely very near) that those who believe God's words – in their hearts - who will not only be watching the signs in the Middle East but will also heed, with a sense of awe, Jesus' words in Luke 21:34-35, to  "watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap. For it will come upon all who dwell on the face of the whole earth. "

True believers – ourselves – will specially heed the next words of Jesus to, "stay awake at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place"  The “strength” of a full faith.

But this verse ends with 8 of the most wonderful, but also the most awesome, words that Jesus uttered! "... and to stand before the Son of Man." [Luke 21:36]

For this reason – above all else we do – let us "watch (y)ourselves" and take the advice of Paul to the Philippians as being personally to us in 2015 – to "be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labour in vain." [Philippians 2:15-16]  Let it be more and more obvious to others – that we have a sure hope – and it may be our Lord’s will that one here and one there are attracted to the light – before “that day” comes “like a trap” on our godless world.

-------

- DC

29 September 2015

1 Chronicles 12

Ezekiel 25

Luke 22  

"THE NEW COVENANT IN MY BLOOD"

Our chapter in Luke goes into detail about the final days of the mortal life of our Lord: it is Passover time, the most significant time of the year for the Jews (at the moment – at the end of September – it is their ‘Feast of Tabernacles’). At Passover time, we read that first “came the day of unleavened bread” [Luke 22:7] “And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him." [Luke 22:14]  First they "took bread" [Luke 22:19] and Jesus said "This is my body ... Do this in remembrance of me." After that "the cup ... saying, "This ... is the new covenant in my blood." [Luke 22:20] 

It was not until after the resurrection that they realize what all this means – that the old covenant of keeping the law of Moses and the old passover is now replaced by the "new covenant" established by their Lord's death on the cross.  This was not to be done just once a year – at the annual passover time – the time when the Jews commemorated their deliverance from Egypt.  It was to be done "as often as" they met together. [1 Corinthians 11:26] They must not neglect to do this (see Hebrews 10:25)   It soon became their practice to do so “On the first day of every week” [1 Corinthians 16:2;  cf. 1 Corinthians 16:2] doing it, as Jesus said,  "in remembrance of me." [1 Corinthians 11:24-25]     

But there was no command as to which day - and although we ourselves usually do it on the Sunday, it does not have to be on that day.  Actually the Jews begin their days at sundown and the events recorded in Acts 20:7 about meeting "on the first day of the week” was an occasion “when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight."  This appears to indicate that they broke bread on what we would call Saturday evening. 

We ourselves have met for the 'memorial' meeting on a Saturday in Nepal because that is their 'day of rest' – and in Bangladesh on a Friday – for the same reason.  The actual "day' is not the vital thing, the sharing of fellowship in 'the New Covenant" is the vital thing!  Finally, let us remember how Jesus told his disciples "I tell you I will not eat it (again) until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God." [Luke 22:16] And how soon and how wonderful, surpassing all our abilities of imagination, will that be! 

-------

- DC

30 September 2015

1 Chronicles 13; 14

Ezekiel 26

Luke 23  

"I … WILL MAKE HER LIKE A BARE ROCK"

Beginning with yesterday’s reading in Ezekiel we see how God causes the prophet to turn from sending warning messages to Jerusalem – to giving “the word of God’ about other nations.  Today [Ezekiel 26] is the first of 3 chapters about Tyre.  The prophecy is given “in the eleventh year” [Ezekiel 26:1], which is the year Jerusalem is destroyed by Babylon. [Jeremiah 39:2] 

The prophecy is provoked “because Tyre said concerning Jerusalem, ‘Aha, the gate of the peoples is broken … I shall be replenished, now that she is laid waste”  Leading God to say, “I am against you, O Tyre, and will bring up many nations … they shall destroy the walls of Tyre and … will scrape her soil from her and make her like a bare rock … a place for the spreading of nets” [Ezekiel 26:2-5]  

Two particular points occurred to us as we read this.  First, the people of Tyre had had a special relationship with Jerusalem and its people; they had worked with David and later with Solomon in building the Temple – and that generation had been blessed as a result! (see 2 Samuel 5:11 and 1 Kings 5:1) But now the people of Tyre are anti-Israel!  

Secondly, the prophecy of the destruction of Tyre is fulfilled in 2 stages, the first stage was fairly immediate by Nebuchadnezzar, the second stage was not until about 250 years later in 332 BC at the hands of Alexander the Great. This aggressive warrior used the ruins of the old city and even scraped the soil off the rocks to build a causeway to reach the city that had been rebuilt on an island!  This detailed prophecy proved to be totally accurate and the archaeologist’s discoveries in the last 2 centuries have further confirmed our faith in God’s word..

A third point worth noting is in Ezekiel 26:7, “For thus says the Lord GOD: behold I will bring against Tyre from the north Nebuchadnezzar …”.  Now Babylon is almost due east of Tyre. The fact that danger comes from the north does not necessarily mean it originates in the north. Therefore we should not use ‘direction’ as a conclusive point of evidence when trying to identify those who attack Israel when we come to Ezekiel 38; 39.  

Finally, those who rejoice as Tyre did, when they see Jerusalem in trouble should consider what happened to Tyre because of this attitude – but of course they know not the word of God.  What is God going to do to our world because of its utter godlessness?  Those who know God’s word need to act on what they know.  God caused the prophet Zephaniah to proclaim, ”Seek the LORD, all you humble … who do his just commands; seek righteousness; seek humility; perhaps you may be hidden on the day of the anger of the LORD.” [Zephaniah 2:3]  How well are you seeking these things? 

-------

- DC