TFTBR - September 2015

Resource Manager

01 September 2015

2 Kings 6

Lamentations 2

1 Corinthians 15  

"HIS GRACE TOWARD ME WAS NOT IN VAIN"

Today we read one of the most meaningful chapters in the Bible - 1 Corinthians 15. Many verses “jumped out” for our meditation. The one we have chosen to really reflect upon is 1 Corinthians 15:10.  Paul laments on his unworthiness, but then says, “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain.  On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.” 

We hear the word grace used a lot in Christian circles.  There are popular hymns about “amazing grace” and how the Lord has “saved a wretch like me.” Bible readers above all people appreciate “the wonder of his grace.”  But we reflected thoughtfully on the example of Paul and his utter commitment of service to his Lord to see that “his grace toward me was not in vain.” 

No one can earn salvation!  But in accepting “his grace” what kind of motivation results in our hearts?  Can it be that for all too many in these “last days” that his grace is taken for granted and it fails to motivate them to live really committed lives as Paul did? Let us realize that commitment shows up in all the small things of life that we do (or don’t do) every day.  

Paul urged his companions in this.  We will soon read in 2 Corinthians 8 how he “urged Titus that as he had started, so he should complete among you this act of grace.  But as you excel in everything – in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you – see that you excel in this act of grace also.” [2 Corinthians 8:6-7]  

Our acceptance of the grace of God should change us – as it did Paul, to show grace toward others in every situation so that his grace toward us is “not in vain.”   If we have previously been a “wretch” – this change should be extremely evident.  The challenge for most of us is in the many “small things” we do every day. Recall yesterday’s reading in 2 Kings of Naaman being angry he had not been asked to do some great thing to be cured of his leprosy.  His grace toward us is not in vain if we daily do the small things in his service. 

-------

- DC

02 September 2015

2 Kings 7

Lamentations 3

1 Corinthians 16  

"LET US TEST AND EXAMINE OUR WAYS” 

We have a diverse range of inspired lessons in our readings today.  First, from a human perspective it is understandable that Elisha's proclamation of "thus says the LORD, tomorrow about this time ..." [2 Kings 7:1] there will be an abundance of food - would be beyond belief to those who heard him!  Yet, because of all the remarkable things he had already been able to do in the name of the LORD, the "captain" should not have been so totally sceptical.  

A lesson for us  which surely we have learned in view of the way aspects of prophecy about "the last days" have already been fulfilled - that we can be confident the rest will wonderfully come to pass – indeed, maybe very soon!  But we must be careful to distinguish between plain prophetical statements and those which are not so plain. Jeremiah in his 'lamentations' [Lamentations 3:37-41] has an appropriate comment; "Who has spoken and it came to pass, unless the Lord has commanded it?" adding, "Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that good and bad come?"  

Those doing their best to know his word and serve him should be able to discern this.  Jeremiah certainly could!  His next words are appropriate for us too!  "Let us test and examine our ways, and return to the LORD! Let us lift up our hearts ..." 

We ponder how many, over the centuries have lifted up their hands, but not their hearts!

In the New Testament we completed Paul’s 1st letter to the Corinthians - and verse13 of the final chapter provides an appropriate concluding thought. "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong"  [1 Corinthians 16:13].

After we "test and examine our ways" let us commit ourselves to doing that. 

-------

- DC

03 September 2015

2 Kings 8

Lamentations 4

2 Corinthians 1; 2  

"WE ARE THE AROMA OF CHRIST"

Paul uses some interesting – and challenging – words – as we start reading his 2nd letter to the Corinthians; he refers to his continuing journey in serving the Lord and writes, "... thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere." [2 Corinthians 2:14] 

Let us visualize in our minds the state of – and perceptions within – Paul's mind.  We sense that these developed more and more as the years passed.  Is that happening in us?  

In reading his first letter to the Corinthians we saw how, in some chapters, he had sternly reprimanded them - trying to provoke them into more Christ-likeness.  But now in his 2nd letter he reflects on how "I wrote to you out of much affliction and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to cause you pain but to let you know the abundant love that I have for you." [2 Corinthians 2:4]

Those who are bringing up children in our ever more godless world face a great challenge these days – and those who do not fully apply themselves to meeting that challenge are not really showing "love" for them, there is not enough of the right kind of "fragrance." 

We come to 2 Corinthians 2:15-17!  Let us meditate on all that Paul means – what his words cause our minds to meditate on - what they unfold into our thought processes.  "We are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things?  For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God's word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ." 

Paul is the supreme example to us! What kind of "aroma of Christ" is to be seen in the way we behave and speak?  And we must not miss Paul’s point – it is an aroma … to God”   Is the "fragrance from life to life" flowing out to all around us?  Do you and I sense in our hearts that we are really people "of sincerity, as commissioned by God"?

Let us all re-double our efforts to both feel and show "we are the aroma of Christ." 

-------

- DC

04 September 2015

2 Kings 9

Lamentations 5

2 Corinthians 3; 4  

“WE DO NOT LOSE HEART, THOUGH …” 

These days the challenges to “lose heart” are multiplying as the boisterous ways of the world swirl around us – and appear to be getting even more chaotic and ungodly.  Our readings in 2 Kings 9 reveal a situation that was, in some ways even worse!    But at least Jehu, to whom Elisha had sent one of the sons of the prophets to anoint as the new king, was carrying out deserved justice on the wicked Jezebel and the ungodly kings of both the northern and southern kingdoms.

Paul’s words in 2 Corinthians 4 are applicable to at least some believers today.  Paul encourages the faithful [2 Corinthians 4:6-7] that “we have this treasure,” that is, “the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ," but it is "in jars of clay,"  meaning, our present humble and lowly situations.   But this is "to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us." [2 Corinthians 4:7] 

Do we feel increasingly overwhelmed by this godless world? Let us try harder to follow the example of Paul, for, although he was "persecuted” he was “not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed ..." [2 Corinthians 4:9] His and our "spirit of faith" was in "knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into his presence." [2 Corinthians 4:13-14] 

How encouraging, indeed triumphant, are his words from 2 Corinthians 4:16. "So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day."

As a result we know for sure, if we possess a full faith in our hearts, that (as the chapter ends) "the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal" and “our present light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison" [2 Corinthians 4:17] 

So let us make sure "we do not lose heart."  

-------

- DC

05 September 2015

2 Kings 10

Ezekiel 1

2 Corinthians 5; 6; 7  

"BUT JEHU WAS NOT CAREFUL TO ..."

We have a remarkable set of chapters to mentally digest today!  2 Kings 10 records how Jehu, now king, carries out the will of the LORD in destroying all the progeny of Ahab and Jezebel and all the worshippers of Baal. "And the LORD said to Jehu" how he had "done well in carrying out what is right in my eyes" [2 Kings 10:30]

However the next verse makes the statement , "But Jehu was not careful to walk in the law of the LORD, the God of Israel, with all his heart."  Now we ourselves can and should zealously work for our Lord, but we must be "careful to" do so "with all (our) heart."

Today we started reading Ezekiel; he was "in the land of the Chaldeans" when "the hand of the LORD was upon him ..." [Ezekiel 1:3]  He was given some remarkable visions: the first is of "four living creatures" that have "human likeness." [Ezekiel 1:5].  There are wheels, one for each of them, "And their rims were tall and awesome, and the rims of all four were full of eyes all around." [Ezekiel 1:18]  This is repeated in Ezekiel 10:12 and our thoughts go first to Proverbs 15:3 "The eyes of the LORD are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good" and then to Revelation 4:8, "And the four living creatures ... are full of eyes all around"  Let us each become so spiritually minded that we sense the "eyes of the Lord" upon us.

The first of our 3 chapters [2 Corinthians 5; 6; 7] in 2nd Corinthians is a challenge to understand but once we get the context and flow of Paul's points into our minds, his meaning falls into place.  It is those who are "not careful to" do this, who misunderstand some of his points. 

Paul longs for the time when "what is mortal may be swallowed up by life." [2 Corinthians 5:4] But when does this happen?  When will Paul and fellow believers be “at home with the Lord"? [2 Corinthians 5:8]  2 Corinthians 5:10 tells us, "we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil."   This is when he returns; remember what we read in 1 Corinthians 4:5.  Those who have “done good” will then be truly “at home” – eternally.

We may also misunderstand what he means when he says "the body"! He does not say "your body" as in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20!   We read last week in 1 Corinthians 12:27 "Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it."  

The body of believers must team together as being, collectively, "the body of Christ."  So let us try hard today - and every coming day to not follow the example of Jehu, but be "careful to" not only build up our own faith but also "the body of Christ." 

-------

- DC

06 September 2015

2 Kings 11; 12

Ezekiel 2

2 Corinthians 8; 9

"WHETHER THEY HEAR OF REFUSE TO HEAR" 

Yesterday we commenced reading the Book of Ezekiel. This man was a Priest, he was taken away into captivity by the Chaldeans before Jerusalem was destroyed, and the word of the LORD came to him while he was in captivity. Jerusalem had not been destroyed at that stage and all the captives were looking for the LORD to deliver them and bring them back to their homeland. 

Ezekiel had a difficult task, as with Jeremiah his message was unpopular, the captives did not want to hear it. The LORD strengthens him by giving him an incredible demonstration of His awesome power. We can call this a vision; we can compare it to when Paul was lifted up to the “third heaven”, which we will read about this on Tuesday. [2 Corinthians 12] 

Truly the Almighty gives special strength to those who are called upon to take on the most difficult tasks. The experience causes Ezekiel to fall on his face and in our reading today [Ezekiel 2] and we learn how he hears the words of commission that God is giving him. Part of that commission is, “you shall speak my words to them, whether they hear or refuse to hear” [Ezekiel 2:7] This is a principle we should try to follow in our lives when we get into conversations with others about the nature of our faith in the future. 

The more we can make our own “vision” of God a true one, the result of our meditations on God’s holy word, the more we will feel impelled to do this. 

At the end of the chapter Ezekiel sees a scroll of a book and is told to eat it! Ezekiel 3:3 says, “Then I ate it, and it was in my mouth as sweet as honey” Can we say that, as we feed on God’s Word, we find that it is as “sweet as honey”? 

Let’s understand the symbol here: truly the sweetness of what God has in store for those who love him is true sweetness of thought and anticipation – compared to the other things that can, if we let them, occupy our minds. Think of what was occupying the minds of the Israelites during their captivity. Do we feel we are in captivity to sinful thoughts? Is there a comparison? We will appreciate God’s kind of sweetness – and see the contrast – as we continue to read Ezekiel. 

-------

- DC 

07 September 2015

2 Kings 13

Ezekiel 3

2 Corinthians 10; 11  

“TAKE EVERY THOUGHT CAPTIVE TO OBEY CHRIST"

What a remarkable man Paul was.  From being the foremost persecutor of the believers until he was struck blind – and heard the voice of Jesus challenging him as he neared Damascus – he was turned around to be the very opposite!  His statements [Acts 9:4; 22:8-10] show the drama of this! 

He had already done what he was urging the Corinthians (and us) to do. It is evident Paul at first went through an intense learning period to embrace in his mind the whole gospel. The teaching of Christ that "Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required" [Luke 12:48] was impressed on his mind.  We read today, in 2 Corinthians 10 how he appealed to the example he had set them (and us) that "we destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ" [2 Corinthians 10:5]

Although the circumstances are different Gods' call for commitment by Ezekiel has similarities.  We read today how God tells him, "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. If I say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die,' and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked ... that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand."  [Ezekiel 3:17-18]  Do we sense the degree of responsibility for us today in this "whenever we read" – and opportunities follow?

Back to Paul's words.  We see how totally committed he had become, and, as a result, he is more aware how the Corinthians "measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another" and as a result "they are without understanding" [2 Corinthians 10:12]  This is what the Pharisees did!

We must constantly measure our thoughts, words and actions by the word of God.  The divine word, so readily available to us, must be absorbed by us more and more. If we fail to do this, we will find, as Paul warns the Corinthians that, "(y)our thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ" [2 Corinthians 11:3]  When we "take every thought captive to obey Christ" and develop this spirit of  "sincere and pure devotion" – then we will have more and more spiritual strength to follow ever more closely in the footsteps of both Ezekiel and Paul.    

-------

- DC

08 September 2015

2 Kings 14

Ezekiel 4

2 Corinthians 12; 13  

"EXAMINE YOURSELVES, TO SEE WHETHER ...”

Today we completed reading Paul’s 2nd Letter to the Corinthians. The last 10 verses are a telling summary of his challenge to them to live in a worthy manner – a challenge that we should take and apply to ourselves. [2 Corinthians 13:5-14]  

In the Old Testament we read of the foolish actions which lead to disaster in the reigns of the kings in the northern kingdom – they had become totally ungodly – and we can see comparisons to our world today and its’ ‘gods’.  These ‘gods’ are the things people seek after and which occupy their minds. Do we feel tempted to follow, at least a little, the example they are setting? We fear the answer is ‘Yes.’

And what a testing time Ezekiel had [Ezekiel 4] when God instructed him to ‘teach’ these exiles to live according to their spiritual heritage. As a result of his 'acted' teaching the LORD wants them to “look at one another in dismay ... because of their punishment." [Ezekiel 4:17], that is, the punishment the acted parables indicate!  Is this situation coming upon our world today – it has exiled itself from "the word of God," indeed, nearly all have no thought to there being a real God who sees all.

Back in Corinthians, let us heed Paul's words,  "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith." [2 Corinthians 13:5] Then he puts a challenging question before them!  "Test yourselves ... that Jesus Christ is in you?"  He qualifies this by adding - "unless indeed you fail to meet the test!"  A question for us? What is our answer?  Is Christ truly “in” our hearts, in our thinking?  What do our actions show – the things we read – and watch!? 

We reflect on the last sentence of Chapter 12, "I fear that when I come ... I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality that they have practiced." [2 Corinthians 12:21] 

And when Jesus comes again!   Remember the key question of Jesus in Luke 18:8, "when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?"  Let us all "examine (y)ourselves" so that the answer to our Lord's question is "Yes."  

How close are we now to the time when the Lord "will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect "? [Matthew 24:31], the days having "been cut short, (or) no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short." [Matthew 24:22] Let us all "examine (y)ourselves so that the answer is "Yes" - and we are among those who are among “the elect” – what wonders far beyond our present comprehension await all those who do this.   

-------

- DC

09 September 2015

2 Kings 15

Ezekiel 5

Luke 1  

"MY SOUL MAGNIFIES THE LORD"

Today we began reading the Gospel of Luke.  Its' first chapter is unique among the 4 gospels in that it gives a detailed account of the spirituality and resultant words of Mary who was to become the mother of our Lord. We also read the visionary prophecy of Zechariah, who was to become the father of John the Baptist. 

Mary is revealed as an intensely spiritual woman: what we call a 'Song of Praise' (and the R.C's - 'The Magnificat') reflects words from many Psalms, such as Psalm 34:2-3; 35:9.  This 'Song' takes up verses 46 to 55 of today's chapter. It starts, "My soul magnifies the Lord." [Luke 1:46-51] Magnifies? When a remarkable miracle occurred at Ephesus (Acts 19:17, "fear fell upon them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was extolled."  Extolled!  That is rendered as "magnified" in the A.V. 

Mary's next words are, "and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour"  Do we rejoice, magnify and extoll our Creator as much as we should?  Mary's "soul" does this, that is, her very being does this, all her thought processes are involved.  Will not our spirit of mind experience the same when our faith is turned to sight at the actual coming of Jesus!?  Surely it will!  But if our faith is strong now and we "reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding” [Colossians 2:2], this should be increasingly our experience now. 

When we are physically aware of our Lord's "appearing" he will fulfil the vision of Mary we read in Luke 1:51-52.  He will have "shown strength with his arm” and have  “scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts" and have "brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate."    This vision should be so overwhelming to us – that really feel humbled. 

Let us try hard to share Mary's vision.  She achieved this through being thoroughly familiar with God's word, most of all the Psalms: look at Psalms 89:13;  98:1; 118:15 in relation to her words we have just quoted. When the "house of prayer for all nations" exists in reality and we, by his grace, have the utterly wondrous blessing of being there, then our hearts and minds will magnify the Lord to the uttermost when the promise of the angel to Mary becomes a reality and the child to be born “will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end." 

-------

- DC

10 September 2015

2 Kings 16

Ezekiel 6

Luke 2  

"PEACE AMONG THOSE WITH WHOM HE IS PLEASED”

The second chapter of Luke’s gospel is just as thought provoking as the first.  Luke’s effort “to write an orderly account” [Luke 1:3] of events is of great value.  It is also valuable for us to have a more accurate translation as a result of more and more ancient documents being found.  A particular example of this is in today's chapter, Luke 2:14, the words the angels sang to the shepherds as they watched over their flocks. 

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!" Let us make sure we get the point of their words, the promise of "peace" is only for " those with whom he is pleased!"  We fear that all too few today qualify!  Let us make every effort to make sure we do.

The baby Jesus is brought into the Temple [Luke 2:27] and Simeon, who was "righteous and devout ... and the Holy Spirit was upon him … took him up in his arms and blessed God and said,  ‘Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace, according to your word;   for my eyes have seen your salvation that you have prepared in the presence of all peoples,  a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to your people Israel.’" [Luke 2:28-32]

And so it happened!  Jesus became "a light for revelation" that the Gentiles in particular saw: eventually all around the world!  In the process of this happening the words in 2 Peter 1:19 were fulfilled. There came into existence "a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns." 

What a wonderful transformation in human thought spread round the world in the generations that followed - as accounts such as Luke's were circulated.  How wonderful!  But today - how few see the light!?  God's word is more and more ignored.

When we come to Luke 18 we will read a significant question uttered by Jesus!  "... when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?" [Luke 18:8] We pray there will still be some "with whom he is pleased."  May you and I be among them.  

-------

- DC

11 September 2015

2 Kings 17

Ezekiel 7

Luke 3  

"DISASTER ... RUMOUR" – EZEKIEL'S MESSAGE ABOUT TODAY

The message God sent through Ezekiel to the people of Israel stressed that the bad things that were then happening in and around Jerusalem were because the people had stopped truly believing in God; they were acting as if he did not exist - they ignored him, they did not serve him at all.  How like that is our world!  As we listen to the news each morning, we can often imagine, without much difficulty, that Ezekiel was writing to us today.  Consider some of the verses we read today in Ezekiel 7.

“Violence has risen up into a rod of wickedness” [Ezekiel 7:7] “The land is filled with crimes of blood and the city is full of violence” [Ezekiel 7:23]  “Disaster comes upon disaster; rumour follows rumour” [Ezekiel 7:26]     

We thought about how, 14 years ago today, planes deliberately hit the twin towers of the Trade Centre in New York bringing them crashing to the ground.  Since then God has brought or allowed many more disasters; the tsunamis; massive Japanese earthquakes, the worst flooding in decades in parts of Australia, violent storms in Vanuatu and horrific earthquakes in Nepal.  And today, the huge refugee crisis in the Middle East, but this is man-made!.

As we look at the future there is great anxiety, especially among leaders of how the world can possibly cope with even greater heat and therefore more and maybe bigger fires because of the way the climate is changing – also  the awesome effects of the rising sea levels because the Arctic and Antarctic ice is melting.

Our reading in Luke was about the preaching of John the Baptist and what he said in making forecasts about the work of the Messiah, for whom he was the forerunner.  One part of what he said has not happened yet; John did not realize there would be a second coming of the Messiah.  When that occurs, that other part will be fulfilled.  

What he said was that, at that time Jesus would have “his winnowing fork (threshing implement) in his hand to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire” [Luke 3:17]    Chaff is everywhere! That is, wickedness, total godlessness in all countries of the world.  We are surrounded by intense spiritual darkness.  

Have we got enough of the right kind of oil in our vessels to keep our lamps burning brightly?  We must not neglect the input of God’s word into our minds every day so that we are spiritually strong and able to cope with the disasters and the rumours the news brings to us each morning. Jesus said, before he returns there will be such tribulation as has not been from the beginning of the creation that God created until now...” [Mark 13:19]

-------

- DC

12 September 2015

2 Kings 18

Ezekiel 8

Luke 4 

"IT IS WRITTEN”

Our chapter 4 in Luke today begins by describing the temptations of Jesus in the wilderness - "for forty days".  He is alone, we do not read of the calling of his disciples - until tomorrow's chapter.  So how did Luke know of this event?  None of the disciples could have told him - well not as eye witnesses! Matthew also records them in his Gospel in chapter 4, but it is not until his 9th chapter that Matthew (Levi) himself is called to follow Jesus. 

It is evident that they only knew of his temptations because Jesus himself told them - and he told them in parables.  At least some of the temptations cannot be literal, such as in Luke 4:9 today, when the devil "set him on the pinnacle of the temple."  Also when he was shown "all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time" [Luke 4:5]

The lesson to the disciples - and to us - is clear!  Jesus' intimate knowledge of God's word, "it is written" - and of the 'power' of its inspired message - was in his heart - and came readily to mind and 'inspired' his words and actions in turning away from all forms of temptation. The writer of Hebrews states we “have a high priest … who in every respect has been tempted as we are …” [Hebrews 4:15]

Have we put God's words in our hearts - with many years of meditative reading?  If not, let us start today! The knowledge of God's purposes, especially of his soon coming kingdom are, said Jesus, " like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found ... and sells all that he has and buys that field." [Matthew 13:44] Treasure - when possessed - has to be used!  When our Lord comes - and how soon now - he is going to ask you and I how we have used it. 

We also noted Luke 4:17-19 of our chapter in Luke; it is the occasion when Jesus "went into the synagogue" and read from the prophet Isaiah who had been inspired to forth tell the work Jesus was to do including proclaiming "good news to the poor ... to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour."  We find this passage in Isaiah 61:1-2 - But what do the next words in Isaiah say, words which Jesus did not read because it was not yet time for them to be fulfilled. They are "the day of vengeance of our God."  How long now, before that day comes and what "is written" is happening before our eyes!   In Luke 12:40 we will read, “You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect."

-------

- DC

13 September 2015

2 Kings 19

Ezekiel 9

Luke 5  

“DEPART FROM ME”                                                                                                                

Peter was an experienced fisherman, that is how he made his living on the Sea of Galilee.  Jesus came along the shore and climbed into Peter’s boat. At first “he sat down and taught the people from the boat” [Luke 5:3] “When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, ‘put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch’  And Simon answered, ‘Master we toiled all night and took nothing!  But at your word I will let down the nets ” [Luke 5:4-5]

We may know this story well, but imagine yourself to be Simon.  He would have used all his experience through the night to try and find some fish; he would have wondered at his Lord’s command to let down the nets, it was probably at least the middle of the day after the preaching from the boat. What happened?  “… and they enclosed a large number of fish and their nets were breaking . They signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help … they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink.” [Luke 5:6-7]  What would you be thinking at that moment?

We read “when Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, ‘Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.”  Naturally, “all who were with him were astonished.”   Peter in particular saw himself as unworthy of association with Christ.  This had far greater impact than earlier when Jesus was “entering Simon’s house” when his “mother-in-law was ill with a high fever, and they appealed to him on her behalf.  And he stood over her and rebuked the fever , and it left her, and immediately she rose and began to serve them’ [Luke 4:38-39)

Peter was now in utter awe of Jesus, he was acutely aware of his own unworthiness.   The more we reflect on this – the more we should reflect on our own unworthiness before Christ.  James, in his letter was trying to drive this point home to the believers, “Listen my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?  But you have …” [James 2:5-6] 

What is the nature of that love?  How total is it?  My love?  Your love?  Our love?  After the miracle of the fish Simon and the others were afraid, but Jesus said, “Do not be afraid, from now on you will be catching men” [Luke 5:10] This caused a final thought – “catching” the hearts and minds of people today is now proving to be very hard – at least in the “western” world it is.  

But there was an occasion when Jesus said to “cast the net on the right side of the boat” [John 21:6] to catch fish – and they did. And there are impoverished countries today, like Bangladesh and Cambodia where spiritual fishing is much more successful.  The final call is going out for more labourers to be involved in the final ingathering.   

-------

- DC

14 September 2015

2 Kings 20

Ezekiel 10

Luke 6  

"HE IS LIKE A MAN ... WHO DUG DEEP"

What a vast array of thoughts came to mind  as we read through today's chapters.  First the lesson of the good king Hezekiah, and his inter-action with Isaiah; he pleaded that his life should not be cut short; finally his prayer was answered [2 Kings 20:6-9] and confirmed by a remarkable miracle; but, as we will see in tomorrow's chapter, the son then born to him is a disaster!  In Ezekiel, we saw in Ezekiel 10, how this prophet was given visions that illustrated the all-seeing eyes of God! And then how challenging is our chapter in Luke [Luke 6]! It is full of lessons for us. 

Those who are blessed with some form of wealth have already "received their consolation" [Luke 6:24] says Jesus. This brings to mind the closing verses of Acts 2, and how the wealthy converts when the church was first established, put their wealth into a common pool.

Jesus makes some more challenging statements!  Those who really believe in him are to "love" and "pray for those who abuse you" [Luke 6:27-28]. He says " "If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them." [Luke 6:32]  It is what we are in our hearts that matters, says Jesus; "for out of the abundance of the heart ... [Luke 6:45] we do things that show what we really value in our lives. What a bad example the Pharisees were!  What example do you and I set?

The chapter ends with a telling parable that likens our lives to the way in which houses are built; whether they will stand firm in times of trouble.  Jesus says, "Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them ... " (and we can add, who reads my words and does them) ... is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it."  [Luke 6:48]

God will surely soon send a "flood" against our godless world (and maybe very soon) so may we all be "like a man ... who dug deep" and have developed the faith and convictions that arose when we began to dedicatedly read his word. 

That is “the foundation” we laid. Let us make sure we apply the lessons we gain from God’s word to all the facets of our daily life – and build upon that foundation in coming days, weeks and years.       

-------

- DC

15 September 2015

2 Kings 21

Ezekiel 11

Luke 7  

"WISDOM IS JUSTIFIED BY HER CHILDREN” 

We read today how John the Baptist sent messengers to Jesus with a question, “'Are you the one who is to come, or shall we look for another?'" [Luke 7:20]  We are sure John would have known what the prophets predicted, but he had not absorbed them in a balanced way - and we have an identical challenge today!  The more carefully we read and absorb them – the more we will be able to properly understand them. 

Jesus, as usual, did not give a straight 'Yes' or 'No' answer to John’s messengers.  He tells them, " "Go and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the poor have good news preached to them. And blessed is the one who is not offended by me." [Luke 7:22-23] Isaiah was the main prophet to 'paint' various parts of this scene of the work of the Messiah: have a look at Isaiah 29:18-19; 42:6-7; 61:1-3. 

We note the blunt statement in Luke 7:30 about how "the Pharisees and the lawyers rejected the purpose of God for themselves" Nearly everyone does the same today, and how many of those who do not do so - really understand “the purpose of God for themselves"?  We have to make sure we do.

People have a different reason for turning their back on Jesus today:  they have convinced themselves, as a result of their own self-centred thinking, that there is no God, that there never was a Creator, all that exists came into being as a sort of unending 'accidents' – therefore Jesus and what he said, has no relevance in their lives.

Jesus asked a question [Luke 7:31] "To what then shall I compare the people of this generation, and what are they like?"  He answers! "They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling to one another" [Luke 7:32] This is a significant saying to meditate on - the internet and emails is "the marketplace" of this generation.

Jesus concludes his summation of their attitudes with 6 telling words! "Wisdom is justified by her children"  Putting this another way - the end result of the attitude of mind of that generation and ours - is nothingness - there are no "children"!  They - and people today - have almost all lost any expectation of the future; Jesus and his message mean nothing to them. 

When Paul began his 1st letter to the Corinthians he told them, "Jesus ... became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption." [1 Corinthians 1:30]  A power of meaning in those few words.  To this we must add the words of James, " the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere." [James 3:17] Let us possess that kind of wisdom!

-------

- DC

16 September 2015

2 Kings 22; 23

Ezekiel 12

Luke 8  

“THERE WAS NO KING LIKE HIM WHO …” 

What a challenging – and inspiring – set of readings we have today!  In 2 Kings 22; 23 we see how Josiah, the last good and righteous king to reign in Jerusalem was inspired by the words that Moses had written when they were discovered in the Temple as it was being restored and cleansed at his command.  As a result he instituted great reforms and the removal and destruction of everything that was ungodly. "Before him there was no king like him, who turned to the LORD with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his might, according to all the Law of Moses, nor did any like him arise after him." [2 Kings 23:25] 

We can see how he was truly a type of the Messiah and ponder in awe, as we contemplate the future of our world, the laws that will be put in place when our Saviour, God's Son, becomes king and the law goes forth from Jerusalem into all the world. Not for a few years either – but for a 1,000! See Revelation 20:4. 

Recall the words in Isaiah 2, “For out of Zion shall go the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.  He shall judge between the nations …”  Our imagination is overwhelmed as we try to visualise the reality of this – and the responsibilities the redeemed will have!.

In Ezekiel 12 we read how the people were "saying, 'The days grow long, and every vision comes to nothing'?" [Ezekiel 12:22] These are visions on the judgements coming on Jerusalem! Ezekiel is to "tell them therefore, 'Thus says the Lord GOD .... The days are near, and the fulfilment of every vision." [Ezekiel 12:23] There is some comparison here with our own anticipations in interpreting prophecy over the last 150 years. The chapter ends, "None of my words will be delayed any longer, but the word that I speak will be performed, declares the Lord GOD."

In our chapter in Luke [Luke 8] we read some familiar parables, but we must not let their very familiarity to us dull their impact on our consciences. The seed of God's word is sown into all kinds of soil - let us keep tilling our minds so we always provide "good soil ... For (we - they) are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience." [Luke 8:15]

-------

- DC

17 September 2015

2 Kings 24; 25

Ezekiel 13

Luke 9  

"NO ONE WHO … LOOKS BACK IS FIT FOR THE KINGDOM ..."

These are the words of Jesus recorded in the last verse of our chapter 9 in Luke’s gospel.  We are immediately provoked into asking – what is it to “look back”?  The answer is contained in the examples of “looking back” Jesus gives in the previous 5 verses - after “someone said to him, I will follow you wherever you go." [Luke 9:57] This is not a really surprising thing to say! Imagine tagging in along with his 12 disciples; what remarkable happenings one would witness - as a spectator!

It is obvious from the examples given - that following Jesus requires total commitment - and, at least at times, physical discomfort for "the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." [Luke 9:58]   Excuses start to multiply - reasons to delay the commencement of following him.  But Jesus says, no delay, no time for a grand farewell to family members - even if your father is dying!

"But as for you" declares Jesus, "go and proclaim the kingdom of God." [Luke 9:60]  And what a message to proclaim!  

There is self-denial involved, back in Luke 9:23 we read, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."

What comes first in our lives today?  Again, the answer involves a recognition of the broad or the narrow way!  Jesus asks [Luke 9:25] "what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?" He then adds the challenging words, "whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory ..." [Luke 9:26]

And how close are we now to that wondrous time!  But those who have "looked back" - as the wife of Lot did will find that "the door is shut" - that their priorities in life, as the all seeing eye of their Lord perceives, means he judges them as being “one who … is not fit for the kingdom."  

-------

- DC

18 September 2015

1 Chronicles 1

Ezekiel 14

Luke 10  

REJOICE THAT YOUR NAMES ARE WRITTEN IN HEAVEN"

Our Ezekiel chapter [Ezekiel 14] again indicates how godless God’s nation had become; Ezekiel is told that “when a land sins against me by acting faithlessly, and I stretch out my hand against it and break its supply of bread and send famine upon it, and cut off from it man and beast, even if these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they would deliver but their own lives by their righteousness, declares the Lord GOD." [Ezekiel 14:13-14]

It can bring strength to meditate on the trials those 3 men successfully endured!  Of course the people in Jerusalem were also under trial, but they had no thought of increasing their relationship with God as those three did!  Are greater trials soon to come on us?  Will we respond in at least some way like those three worthies did?

In Luke we have an opposite picture - rejoicing! Luke 10 starts by telling us that "the Lord appointed 72" to go on ahead of him as "labourers into his harvest" [Luke 10:1-2]  They "returned with joy" [Luke 10:17], telling him what they had been able to do "in your name" [Luke 10:17]  Jesus make's a strange comment!  "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven." [Luke 10:18] How do we understand this?  Well, we remember the time when Jesus "turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man." [Matthew 16:23]  Wonderfully, Peter did end up setting his mind "on the things of God."  Let us make sure we do.

The 'satans' Jesus saw fall from heaven (their abode of self-importance) were the religious leaders, so frustrated that the followers of Jesus were attracting such attention - compared to them. Now, let us learn the lesson in Jesus' response to the rejoicing of the seventy-two.  We read how he said to them, "do not rejoice in this” – what they had achieved in serving God -  ”but rejoice that your names are written in heaven." [Luke 10:20] 

Let us make sure we can rejoice for the same reason.  How frank - but also inspiring - are the words of Jesus in the last chapter of the Bible. "Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.... Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life" [Revelation 22:12,14]  Back in Revelation 7:13-14, John, who wrote Revelation, is asked a question, ""Who are these, clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?"  I said to him, "Sir, you know." And he said to me, "These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." Does "great tribulation" await us in any form? Let us rejoice and keep our minds focused on the wonder that "(y)our names are written in heaven." 

-------

- DC

19 September 2015

1 Chronicles 2

Ezekiel 15

Luke 11  

"WHEN YOUR EYE IS HEALTHY"

Our chapter in Ezekiel [Ezekiel 15] again indicates how godless his nation had become – and the prophet is told that  “you will know that I am the LORD, when I set my face against them ... I will make the land desolate, because they have acted faithlessly, declares the Lord GOD." [Ezekiel 15:7-8]  

Our world is "acting faithlessly"!   Indeed, it is increasing; the spirit in the world is just the same as in Ezekiel's day – and – until God carries out his word nearly everyone in the world will persist in their blindness – especially the belief of most – that no Creator really exists. 

Our New Testament portion, Luke 11, has many interesting sayings of Christ for us to meditate upon – and receive the "true light, which gives light to everyone" [John 1:9]. But how dark is our world today, it is so very similar to Ezekiel’s day! How few (at least in this country) are interested in coming to the "light" that God so wondrously provides?  His word is neglected – ignored – let us not be influenced by this spirit.

Sadly there are deceptive competing lights – only careful meditative reading reveals the "true light."  Jesus warns, as we read in Luke 11:35, "be careful lest the light in you be darkness."  The "true light" brings health to us and the result is, "When your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light," [Luke 11:34]   How vital to have a "healthy" eye!  But what sort of "eye" – we could be wondering?  

How powerful and full of meaning are the words Paul wrote to the Ephesians; he prayed that they would experience "having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe ..." [Ephesians 1:18-19] 

This form of knowing – is knowing in our hearts.   This results in us having an overwhelming sense of commitment – it is far more than intellectual knowledge; it also brings a sense of awareness of "his power toward" those who believe. Paul’s prayer should be our daily prayer – and also our prayer for one another – creating the wondrous result that, "when your eye is healthy" then "(y)our whole body is full of light." 

-------

- DC

20 September 2015

1 Chronicles 3

Ezekiel 16

Luke 12  

"STAY DRESSED FOR ACTION AND KEEP YOUR LAMPS BURNING"

Our readings today in Ezekiel [Ezekiel 16] and Luke [Luke 12] are full of parables. God, through Ezekiel, and our Lord Jesus, are trying to make people think about the motives of God in causing events between nations.   Such events, of course, affected all individuals in those nations.  We especially noted the short and powerful personal messages given in the telling of those stories. 

Jesus knew that many of his hearers would face an increasing time of crisis as the time of the destruction of the nation grew closer.  Remember how he wept over Jerusalem and later told them to ”weep for yourselves and your children” [Luke 23:28]. Would Jesus weep over the world today?  He knows what lies ahead; the angels must be getting ready to “gather his elect” [Mark 13:27].  

Jesus also gave messages of encouragement to help them face up to the coming crisis. Those who really believed would remember his words.  But some of his words foreshadow an even greater time of crisis for the whole world – our time.  

There is a parable about a rich man who plans for a long and relaxing retirement.  He thinks to himself, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry” [Luke 12:19] He refuses to consider the role of God in his life, so many are like that today. 

Our Government in Australia is proud of its compulsory superannuation scheme established over 20 years ago.  The mass of money now created has been significant in the present stability in the economy here.  But how do you “store” money these days? What is “money” today – it is no longer gold and silver!  Jesus says, “all the nations of the world seek after these things … instead seek his (God’s) kingdom and all these things will be added to you … where your treasure is there will your heart be also” [Luke 12:34] 

Those who listen and act having their “treasure” with God [Luke 18:22] know that it will be, said Jesus, “your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom” [Luke 12:32] Then come the most important (for us) words of all – “be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect” [Luke 12:40] therefore “stay dressed for action and keep your lamps burning, and be like men (and women) who are waiting for their Master to come” [Luke 12:35-36]

Our daily Bible reading and prayers are essential to provide adequate oil for those lamps. 

-------

- DC

21 September 2015

1 Chronicles 4

Ezekiel 17

Luke 13; 14 

"IF THE SALT HAS LOST ITS' TASTE"

Jesus told his disciples, “You are the salt of the earth" [Matthew 5:13]. We know that salt is invaluable to enhance the flavour of most foods, so the words of Jesus at the end of Luke 14 today jumped out at us. " "Salt is good, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is of no use either for the soil or for the manure pile. It is thrown away. "

The next, and final words in our chapter are, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."  Today we could 'translate' that as, 'He/she who has a mind to read, they must read and absorb the full meaning of what they read.

Our chapters in Ezekiel continue their dismal account of how God's nation, in Ezekiel's day, had completely lost their sense of spirituality - they had no "taste" for eternal matters.  It is exactly the same today: such is the ungodliness in the world, it is beyond being restored: the only solution is for divine judgement!  

And how awesome will that be!

We are in awe of the potential for some of the Bible passages which describe this to be frighteningly literal - from a human point of view. Ponder what Paul was inspired to tell the Thessalonians! The time will come "when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels  in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.  They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction ..." [2 Thessalonians 1:7-9] But among the final verses in the Old Testament we read - "But for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall rise..." [Malachi 4:2] Let us “fear” – that is, be in utter awe of what God must be!

Finally - back to our initial thoughts - we must heed the words of Jesus that come immediately before his words, "Salt is good, but if salt has lost its taste ..."  He had just said, " any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple." We must see other things in our lives as having no eternal value at all - they destroy the "taste" in whatever salt we have. Serving our Lord must dominate our thoughts – and resultant actions. 

-------

- DC 

22 September 2015

1 Chronicles 5

Ezekiel 18

Luke 15  

“MORE JOY IN HEAVEN”

We have a set of 3 challenging parables in today's chapter of Luke [Luke 15].  The chapter starts with a comment that "the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled"  because "the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear" Jesus.  These religious leaders were all suffering from self-righteousness!

A fundamental point for us to make sure we have in mind - is that no one can 'earn' a place in God's kingdom because of their own righteousness. The gospels have many examples of those who thought they could, through keeping the Law.  But, as Paul told the Galatians, "if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose." [Galatians 2:21] Down through the centuries there have been, it seems, all too many examples of self-righteousness.

After telling those who were "drawing near to hear him" - the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin - and the rejoicing after they were found - Jesus makes two comments’  First, in Luke 15:7, we read ”I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents" than over any of those who feel self-righteous!  His point is emphasized in Luke 15:10  "I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents."  

The reference to the involvement of angels in this "joy" is intriguing. We recall the reference to "the multitude of the heavenly host praising God" at the birth of Jesus that we read in Luke 2:13-14.  When we come to Luke 20 on Sunday we will read that "those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection ... cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels ..." [Luke 20:35-36]  

This leads us to meditate - and marvel - at the reference to the work of "the angels" now!    Yes, we marvel and we ponder the wonder of the last 2 verses in Hebrews 1 where we read the declaration - "Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?" [Hebrews 1:13-14]

Finally, how long now before these "ministering spirits" will have "more joy" - for our Lord "will send out the angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth …" [Mark 13:27] as their and our Lord is “coming in clouds with great power and glory.” [Mark 13:26]

In this almost totally evil world, may we all so live, that we are able to join Paul in saying what he wrote in his final letter, "I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me." [2 Timothy 1:12]  Let us meditate on the things “entrusted” to each one of us.

-------

- DC

23 September 2015

1 Chronicles 6

Ezekiel 19

Luke 16  

“BUT GOD KNOWS YOUR HEARTS”  

Our chapter in Ezekiel [Ezekiel 19] is called a “lamentation for the princes of Israel” – it is a ‘parable’ describing the utter failure of these “princes” to perform their role – until, in the end “there remains … no sceptre for ruling” [Ezekiel 19:14].  We can apply that parable to the failure of Christianity today – and for many years past.

Luke 16 provides us with two remarkable parables, both are distinct and different from our Lord’s other parables.  Let’s look carefully at the one about a dishonest manager who is called to account and loses his position; it is clear it applies to the religious leaders that opposed Jesus.

Luke 16:11-13 provide the ‘heart’ of the lesson!  We need to identify these in each of Christ’s parables.  They are what we might call 'the punch line' which illustrate the lesson his listeners (and readers) should learn - and take to heart.

The managers’ dishonesty earns him the condemnation – and a spiritual application - "If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches?  And if you have not been faithful in that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own? No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."

For us – the lesson is clear!  How well are we serving our Master, our Lord in heaven?  What dominates our thinking – and is the major thought behind our planning?  Do we really desire - in our hearts - more than this mortal life offers?  Yes!! Then how do we show this in our lives?

Luke 16:14 tells us how the Pharisees "ridiculed him" when they listened to this teaching: but they "were lovers of money" [Luke 16:14]  The same could be said of the world all around us.  

Jesus responds, "You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God." [Luke 16:15]  They did not take this comment to heart!  How much do we do?  ‘The sight’ of God enables him to 'see' and ‘hear’ all.   We reflect on the remarkable power of modern inventions, especially 'mobiles' that are "exalted among men" – but these are awesome evidence of the 'powers' God built into creation.  Let us use these powers as wisely as possible, knowing – in our hearts – that "God knows (y)our hearts."    

-------

- DC

24 September 2015

1 Chronicles 7

Ezekiel 20

Luke 17  

"SO WILL IT BE ON HIS DAY ..."

First, we read today the awesome warnings contained in Ezekiel 20, but this chapter also contains a wonderful ray of light – describing Israel’s ultimate future!

“For on my holy mountain ... declares the Lord GOD, there all the house of Israel, all of them, shall serve me in the land. There I will accept them ... And I will manifest my holiness among you in the sight of the nations." [Ezekiel 20:40-41]

We set these words alongside – and in contrast to – the words of warning in today's New Testament chapter,  Luke 17.  First, Jesus warns that his return will be clearly evident – so don't follow those who say, "Look, there!' or 'Look, here!' Do not go out or follow them.  For as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day." [Luke 17:23-24] 

Then Jesus makes a blunt point we may be familiar with, but let's not make our familiarity with it dull its impact on our minds! "Just as it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the days of the Son of Man. They were eating and drinking and marrying and being given in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all." [Luke 17:26-27]

Jesus also makes a point about "the days of Lot, they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, but on the day when Lot went out from Sodom, fire and sulphur rained from heaven and destroyed them all." Then he adds "so will it be on the day when the Son of Man is revealed." [Luke 17:28-30]  There are an abundance of places to go out to – to eat and drink – compared to when we were young – 60 years ago.

Our thoughts then went to the final chapters of the Old Testament, Malachi!  There will be a "day ... says the LORD of hosts, ... when I make up my treasured possession ... Then once more you shall see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not ..." [Malachi 3:17-18] 

We do not know how close that awesome "day" is!  But that should not make any difference - let us try ever harder to so live that we are part of God's "treasured possession" and then "on his day" we will  receive, to quote the words of the Apostle Paul, "the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award ... on that Day." [2 Timothy 4:8] 

-------

- DC

25 September 2015

1 Chronicles 8

Ezekiel 21

Luke 18  

"EVERYTHING THAT IS WRITTEN ... WILL BE ACCOMPLISHED"

The disciples listened to Jesus – but had their own agenda as to what they wanted to hear and so they frequently misunderstood him. The same is true of those who say they believe in Jesus and in the Father, for this reason some aspects of the Bible are misunderstood by many; it is dangerous to reduce God’s inspired to humanly worded creeds.  Paul sums up the true understanding for us very well in 1 Corinthians 15:20-28.

Our thoughts on this were prompted by our reading today of Luke 18 and the reaction of “the twelve” when Jesus said, “See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written about the Son of Man by the prophets will be accomplished." [Luke 18:31]  He told them plainly what was to happen to him [Luke 18:32-33] "But they understood none of these things … they did not grasp what was said." [Luke 18:34]

Ezekiel had the same problem, the messages God gave to the people through him – were not what the people wanted to hear!  Today we read how he was caused to prophesy, "Thus says the LORD: Behold, I am against you and will draw my sword from its sheath and will cut off from you both righteous and wicked  ... And all flesh will know that I am the LORD" [Ezekiel 21:3,5] That is, God means what he says!  The prophet himself would himself "with breaking heart and bitter grief, groan before their eyes." [Ezekiel 21:6]  

We can see the parallel with what Jesus knew was to happen to Jerusalem and the Temple as we will read on Monday in Luke 21:20-24. Their pride in the Temple was what hindered the people from accepting both his and Ezekiel's warnings.  In Luke we see that it was especially those who had riches or were puffed up with their own sense of self-importance caused them to ignore, even scoff at, the warnings.  It is evident that the same spirit is among so many today! Jude, the half-brother of Jesus, was caused to prophecy "In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions." [Jude 18]

Let us all heed the lessons in today's chapter in Luke for they surely have an application to the situation around us today!  Jesus said; "when you hear of wars and tumults, do not be terrified ... There will be great earthquakes ... there will be terrors and great signs from heaven ... By your endurance you will gain your lives ... for these are days of vengeance to fulfil all that is written." [Luke 21:9,11,19,22]  The Jews have had their "days of vengeance" – but soon, maybe very soon, it will be the Gentiles turn.  

-------

- DC