TFTBR - July 2015

Resource Manager

01 July 2015

1 Samuel 13

Isaiah 56; 57

Revelation 21; 22  

"THE ONE WHO CONQUERS WILL …"

Today we completed reading the book of Revelation – and how awesome are many of the verses – some are also inspiring – as are our 2 chapters in Isaiah [isaiah 56; 57], while 1 Samuel 13 is a lesson of faulty faith in the actions of Saul, now made king of Israel.

It is Revelation 21:7 that it is valuable to have uppermost in our minds, “The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son." (or daughter)   What is the sense of "conquers"?  Some Bible versions translate this as 'overcomes.'  We are engaged in spiritual warfare - will the spirit in the world that surrounds us conquer or overcome us!?  Or will we conquer them so that God will welcome us as sons and daughters, genuine brethren and sisters of His Son?

The next verse [Revelation 21:8] describes those who fail to conquer!  "But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral ... and all liars, their portion will be ... the second death"  We note the inclusion of "all liars" – how many are genuinely honest today?  How many are ambiguous in what they say – especially politicians?  The experience of utter despair in “the second death” implies that these have experienced the resurrection – but find themselves, perhaps to their surprise, among the “goats” and tares.” 

The final emphasis on God's particular hatred of all who distort truth – making it in effect – a lie is in Revelation 22:15 of the final chapter.  In contrast to those who "have the right to the tree of life" [Revelation 22:14] "Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood." [Revelation 22:15] We do not have pagan "idols" but many appear to worship human "idols." What a true picture of our world is 'painted' in these words. 

Finally we note the invitation in Revelation 22:17 "... let the one who hears (reads) say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price."  Yes, "without price"!  Eternal life is the gift of God for  "the one who conquers." 

-------

- DC

02 July 2015

1 Samuel 14

Isaiah 58

Matthew 1; 2  

"THE FAST THAT I CHOOSE"

We do not practise fasting these days - not for religious reasons anyway. Our Isaiah chapter has an interesting and challenging reference to God's attitude to fasting, which we normally take it to mean 'abstaining from eating.' In 1 Samuel 14 we read of a human inspired command to fast - that by Saul, now king, and how unwise that proved to be for the people became faint in their pursuit of the Philistines [1 Samuel 14:24]. 

This is not the kind of fast that the LORD causes Isaiah to write about.  Isaiah 58 starts by condemning what was happening in Israel.  "Behold " the LORD says, " in the day of your fast you seek your own pleasure, and oppress all your workers.  Behold, you fast only to quarrel and to fight and to hit with a wicked fist. Fasting like yours this day will not make your voice to be heard on high." [isaiah 58:3-4].

The all seeing eye of the LORD looked to see a different kind of action and what we read from verse 6 has considerable application to believers today. "Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness ... Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him ..." 

In some poor countries this desire of the LORD still has application, even in ours and similar countries, a 100 years ago, it had application, but now we expect the Government to provide - or one of the 'do good' organisations, like the Salvos. 

However it is vital genuine believers are constantly ready to "satisfy the desire of the afflicted” which can arise in many ways, for “then shall your light rise in the darkness ... And the LORD will guide you continually..." [isaiah 58:10-11] and as a result of that guidance, through His word, "you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail."

Let us daily practice "the fast that I (the Lord) choose."  This will surely lead to our partaking of "the water of life" in God's kingdom as we read yesterday in the final chapter of the whole Bible, Revelation 22:1,17. 

-------

- DC

03 July 2015

1 Samuel 15

Isaiah 59

Matthew 3; 4  

"MAN SHALL NOT LIVE BY ..."

Today in  Matthew 4 we read of a very thought provoking event: this occurred before Jesus began his ministry.  It is a challenge to understand it correctly! The chapter begins by telling us "Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness..."  Led by the Spirit!?  So it was God's will that this event happened. It took place in the wilderness away from people. The reason why the Spirit led him there was "to be tempted by the devil."

What is the devil? Well first we note that there were 3 types of temptation that Jesus rejected!  His "answer"  in Matthew 4:4 is to state "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"  We can see what that means for us today - we have that "word" in our hands, the source of 'strength' for our hearts to enable us to effectively resist inclinations to think or do anything that is ungodly. But it is not sufficient to simply resist - we must think positively - in an ungodly world. We must feel ‘inspired’ by the future God’s word reveals, as we have been reading in Isaiah – and the lessons of failure – as shown by Saul when he became king..

How did Matthew come to write this account of his Master's temptation?  It is not until we come to Matthew 9:9 that we read of him being called to follow Jesus.  So Jesus must have told him - and no doubt the other disciples too!  And what was the method that Jesus often used in teaching? Parables!  It is obvious that Matthew 4:8 is not literal, it tells us, "Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory." No such mountain exists!  Satan told Jesus, "All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." [Matthew 4:9] What is Satan the symbol of? The temptation to serve self - before (or as well as) serving God! 

Judas gave in to the temptation to serve self.  Jesus said, "Did I not choose you, the Twelve? And yet one of you is a devil." [John 6:70]  Jesus was surrounded by those with such minds. The start of this same chapter tells us of the feeding of the 5,000 - look how the people reacted! The people declared, "This is indeed the Prophet who is to come into the world!" [Matthew 4:14] 

What happened next!  'Perceiving then that they were about to come and take him by force to make him king, Jesus withdrew again to the mountain by himself."  But Jesus had come to be king!  But this was a temptation to do the right thing - the wrong way!  Let us reflect on all the forms of temptation surrounding us today!  Truly "man shall not live (eternally) by what this world provides with all its’ opportunities; let us make sure we live "by every word that comes from the mouth of God."

-------

- DC

04 July 2015

1 Samuel 16

Isaiah 60

Matthew 5  

"THE LORD LOOKS ON THE HEART”

"How long will you grieve over Saul, since I have rejected him from being king…"  This is how 1 Samuel 16 starts. It describes how Samuel was directed to anoint a king whom God had chosen - that God had rejected the one who had not developed a relationship with him, a relationship in his heart! Saul's relationship with him was only superficial. There are very meaningful lessons for us here.

Samuel is told to go to the house of Jesse in Jerusalem and "anoint for me him whom I declare to you." [1 Samuel 16:3]  Samuel thinks his eldest son is a likely prospect "But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart."  [1 Samuel 16:7] 

This verse provides a pertinent lesson for those doing their best to be genuine and faithful believers. Most will know the account of what follows, all the sons of Jesse are presented before Samuel one by one, but, says Samuel, "The LORD has not chosen these." [1 Samuel 16:10]   

There is one more, "the youngest, but behold, he is keeping the sheep." [1 Samuel 16:11] It would appear he was of little account in the family home: but what lessons this son learnt out in the fields, especially by night!  What insight and faith he developed!  "The LORD is my shepherd ... He makes me lie down in green pastures... He restores my soul. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me." [Psalm 23:1-4]

And what about Psalm 8! "O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name ... When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him ..." [Psalm 8:1-4]  Yet, wonderfully, far beyond our comprehension, "The LORD looks on the heart”- looking to see who is seeking to have a real relationship with him - and with His Son!  The foundation for this, as with David, is our wonder and awe at contemplating God’s creative work, meditating also on the words of Jesus we read this morning, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." [Matthew 5:6]

-------

- DC

05 July 2015

1 Samuel 17

Isaiah 61

Matthew 6  

“THEY THINK THAT THEY WILL …” 

Yesterday, today and tomorrow we read what has always been known as “The Sermon on the Mount.”  The movie presentations of this we have seen portray Jesus as speaking to a very large crowd of people, but  this is not what the Bible records tells us!  

Look first at the end of Matthew 4.  Matthew 4:24 says how his “fame spread” and Matthew 4:25 “and great crowds followed him from Galilee and the Decapolis and from Jerusalem and Judea and from beyond the Jordan.  Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them …”  We have quoted through to verse 2 of yesterday’s reading, Matthew 5.  Jesus was not teaching the “great crowds.”

In today’s reading he is stressing to his disciples the way they had to set the example and not follow the example of the religious leaders.   In “practicing your righteousness” your motive is most important.  How can you have a wrong motive in being righteous, you might think! Easy!

“Beware”, says Jesus, if you do it “before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward …” [Matthew 6:1] Jesus gives several examples, “when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you (i.e. don’t go and broadcast the fact – look what a good boy or girl I am!) as the hypocrites do … in the synagogue that they may be praised by others” [Matthew 6:2] “Do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret.  And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.” [Matthew 6:3-4]

Another thing he says to his disciples is “when you pray do not heap up empty phrases …” and then comments on those who “think that they will be heard for their many words” [Matthew 6:7].  Jesus then gives the example of what we call The Lord’s Prayer.  How many speak these words – or say ‘Amen’ to them and yet do not stop to think that they are praying for God’s kingdom to come on earth!  Let us make sure that we read the Bible every day and think about their meaning, so we serve God in a meaningful way, with increasing anticipation of his kingdom. Let us meditate and pray with motives that will ensure we will be heard – as it is evident David did in a wonderful and totally committed way: This is shown by his faith in going out to kill Goliath, which we also read today.

-------

- DC

06 July 2015

1 Samuel 18

Isaiah 62

Matthew 7

“I NEVER KNEW YOU” 

Many of the things Jesus said are very challenging, but few are more so than the words we read today about what will be said to some “on that day” [Matthew 7:22], i.e. the day of judgement.  Jesus speaks of those who will come before him, but to some of them he will say, “Depart from me; I never knew you” [Matthew 7:23].  These will be among the “many (who) will say to me, Lord, Lord, did we not prophecy in your name … and do many mighty works in your name?” 

First, “works” does not necessarily mean, perform miracles, and his reference to those who prophecy, we should not think of him as meaning those who have some gift to foretell the future. The work of those serving God, as we see with many of those called prophets in the Old Testament, is to proclaim God’s word, and very often these were words of warning as well as encouragement. Any who speak to others to bring the message of Christ and God to them are, in this sense, prophets.  Such take a great responsibility on themselves.  James, in his epistle makes the point, “Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.” [James 3:1] 

Those who Jesus tells to depart are described as “workers of lawlessness.”    So what is such a worker?  We noticed as we completed reading Revelation last week how it lists those who are “outside” excluded from a place in God’s “city” because their names were not found in “the book of life” [Revelation 20:12].  Earlier in Revelation [Revelation 3:5] we read of names being blotted out and others retained in God’s book of life.  What causes them to be excluded?  Those “outside” are those who do evil things and also “everyone who loves and practices falsehood” [Revelation 22:15]. 

Those told to “depart” thought they had a relationship with Jesus, that they “knew” him – but Jesus “never knew” them. What is it to “know” someone?  It is to have a real relationship with them.  Many human relationships are not lasting today, all too many are getting married before they “know” each other, have fully explored each other’s minds and developed a whole hearted rapport .  

We must make sure we have developed a really strong and committed relationship to and with Christ – only then will we be able to “conquer” our human nature and become more and more like our Saviour. Let us remember what we read last week in Revelation 21:7 “The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son” – then “on that day” he will declare “I … knew you.” 

-------

- DC

07 July 2015

1 Samuel 19

Isaiah 63

Matthew 8  

"FOR EVERYONE WHO ASKS, RECEIVES ... "

Matthew's record of the teaching of Jesus contains many challenges.  As we ponder them, we recall other passages; these enable us to more perfectly understand them and grasp the essential messages which alone give true guidance to our lives.  Yesterday's chapter 7 starts, "Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you." [Matthew 7:1-3] What food for meditation in those words!

But human nature tends to go to extremes - as we saw with the Pharisees - and today - no judgement at all - almost anything is permissible – it is like the time when "everyone did what was right in his own eyes." [last verse in Judges]  Now look at verses 7 & 8 in Matthew! [Matthew 7:7-8] 

It is a challenge to understand them, but it is vital that we do. "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds..."  But what is it wise for a God-fearing follower of Christ to wisely seek and ask for?

The "Father" promises to "give good things to those who ask him!" [Matthew 7:11] Remember what we read in Matthew  6!  "Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Therefore do not be anxious ...." [Matthew 6:33-34]  All our requests should surely be related to our kingdom seeking.

Years later James, the half-brother of Jesus was to pen words that implied they had forgotten the context of this teaching of Jesus, "You ask and do not receive” he wrote, “because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions." [James 4:3]  Obviously the words of Jesus were then being misapplied among the believers in Jerusalem.  James went on to warn, "You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence." [James 5:5] How true of today!  James the counselled, "... be patient. Establish your hearts ...." [James 5:8] 

Are our "hearts" on a firm foundation?  In James' days judgement came upon Jerusalem for rejecting their Messiah, but today in Isaiah 63 we started by reading, "Who is this who comes..."  It is one who is, "speaking in righteousness, mighty to save." [isaiah 63:1] God inspired Isaiah to see and write,  "I looked, but there was no one to help... so my own arm brought me salvation." [isaiah 63:5]  And the one – who possesses a right God fearing spirit, having a genuine relationship with Jesus, the “arm” of God.)  All who have established this relationship will have a part in that salvation.  

-------

- DC

08 July 2015

1 Samuel 20

Isaiah 64

Matthew 9  

"TO MAKE YOUR NAME KNOWN"

Isaiah 64 starts with a plea - a prayer - to our Creator.  "Oh that you would rend the heavens and come down, that the mountains might quake at your presence ... to make your name known ... that the nations might tremble at your presence!" [isaiah 64:1-2]  That appeal to the Creator, is one true believers should be making now, today, more than ever.  So few believe there is a Creator. 

Isaiah's plea to God "to make your name known" reminds us of when he did this in delivering his nation from slavery in Egypt: it was that act that established his name, that is, his reputation!  We saw this in yesterday's chapter 63 which described how God " caused his glorious arm to go at the right hand of Moses, who divided the waters before them to make for himself an everlasting name ... So you led your people, to make for yourself a glorious name" [isaiah 63:12,14] 

But the chapter ends on a sad note, that in the prophet's days, Israel had " become like those over whom you have never ruled, like those who are not called by your name."

Are we in danger of becoming like those who never knew Christ, never had a relationship with him? We need to take special note of the message in Isaiah 64:5, today's chapter, "You meet him who joyfully works righteousness, those who remember you in your ways."  

In some ways this point is to be found within the challenging teaching of Jesus we are reading in Matthew.  The religious leaders were self-righteous, they did not "joyfully work righteousness."  Their pride was in keeping the letter of the law with all the embellishments they had added to it, this meant they were not making God's name known" - but instead - their own!  As a result they did not recognise who Jesus was, they derided his association "with tax collectors and sinners" He responded, "Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners." [Matthew 9:13]

We all need the mercy of God - and to show mercy to others.  In this way we make our Saviours' "name known."  We witness by our actions as much as by our words as we seek "to make the name" of Christ "known" as the ingathering of God's harvest is being completed - and then the nations will tremble in awe “at your presence” through the return of His Son in wondrous power.  

-------

- DC

09 July 2015

1 Samuel 21; 22

Isaiah 65

Matthew 10 

"WHOEVER DOES NOT TAKE ... IS NOT WORTHY OF ME"

Today we read some particularly challenging sayings of Jesus in Matthew’s gospel.  Jesus sends out his disciples to “the lost sheep of the house of Israel” [Matthew 10:6]. They are to proclaim that “The kingdom of heaven is at hand” [Matthew 10:7]  We note that he does NOT say ‘the kingdom IN heaven’! We read in Matthew 5 his teaching that “Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth” [Matthew 5:5] – their inheritance is a heavenly kingdom to be established on the earth when Jesus returns. 

There are challenging messages from God in today’s 65th chapter of Isaiah.   First we read of warnings!  “But you who forsake the LORD ... I will destine you to the sword... ; when I spoke, you did not listen ..." [isaiah 65:11-12]  The gospels tell us of when “many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him” [John 6:66] and we suspect this has happened in every generation since!  Today God surely says of many, they 'do not read and absorb my meaning.'   

Back in Isaiah we read a positive message to committed believers in Isaiah 65:16-18 , "he … shall bless himself by the God of truth ... because the former troubles are forgotten and are hidden from my (God's)eyes. "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered. But be glad and rejoice forever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem to be a joy" [isaiah 65:16-18]

The chapter concludes by describing the amazing ultimate harmony in nature - as well as between people!  “The wolf and the lamb shall graze together; the lion shall eat straw like the ox ... They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain," says the LORD."

Returning to our Matthew chapter, we find Matthew 10:38-39 particularly thought challenging.  Jesus teaches, "whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."  May we be among these, the ones’ who “find it” because we no longer think and live the way this godless world does!  At times we can find ourselves in difficult circumstances - but everyone who accepts and follows Christ and lives by his principles, "will receive a righteous person's reward." [Matthew 10:41] 

And what a wondrous time awaits them ( and us)! Life in a renewed earth where even nature will be at peace. May Jesus NOT say to any of us you are “not worthy of me.” May we “take” whatever “cross” our Lord puts upon us and so be among those who are “glad and rejoice forever in that which (God) creates”

-------

- DC

10 July 2015

1 Samuel 23

Isaiah 66

Matthew 11 

"... YOU WHO TREMBLE AT HIS WORD"

Today we completed reading Isaiah - and it has a final challenging message for us to "Hear the word of the LORD, you who tremble at his word: Your brothers who hate you and cast you out for my name's sake have said, 'Let the LORD be glorified, that we may see your joy'; but it is they who shall be put to shame." [isaiah 66:5] 

Is it clear what this is teaching us? Why will they be “put to shame” by the Lord?  It is because they do not "tremble at his word."  There is "an uproar,"  the next verse tells us, it is ""The sound of an uproar from the city! A sound from the temple! The sound of the LORD, rendering recompense to his enemies!"  This recompense (punishment)  is given in more detail in Isaiah 66:15-16. "For behold, the LORD will come in fire, and his chariots like the whirlwind, to render his anger in fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire. For by fire will the LORD enter into judgment ... with all flesh; and those slain by the LORD shall be many." 

How soon will this be? Later this month in Matthew, we will first read parables of warning, and then Christs’ fairly explicit words in Matthew 24, “For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.  For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark,  and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.” [Matthew 24:37,29] Our world is totally “unaware” – they have given up on expectations about the future, they are living for the day, the month, at most for the year!  May we so live that we are not “swept away” when “the LORD enter(s) into judgment …with all flesh.”

May we be among those who "who tremble at his word" and so be among those who experience, as we read in Isaiah, "the new heavens and the new earth that I make … says the LORD"  when "all flesh (then alive)shall come to worship before me…." [isaiah 66:22-23]

Finally, how encouraging and reassuring are the words of Jesus at the end of todays' chapter in Matthew. "Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden ... and learn from me ... and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." This the result when we genuinely “tremble at His word.” [Matthew 11:28-30]

-------

- DC

11 July 2015

1 Samuel 24

Jeremiah 1

Matthew 12  

"I APPOINT YOU A PROPHET …"

Today we started reading Jeremiah and it is clear from the first chapter that he was called to be God's prophet from the very start, indeed, the LORD starts communicating with him by saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." [Jeremiah 1:5] - not just to Israel!  And we are going to read some remarkable prophecies from the LORD in his 52 chapters, some of which have challenging latter day applications.

Jeremiah is told "... whatever I command you, you shall speak." [Jeremiah 1:7] And for us! Whatever we read, especially those things which are appropriate messages for today, we should deeply think about, talk to each other about and even write about.

The LORD tells Jeremiah, "Behold, I have put my words in your mouth." [Jeremiah 1:9]. Remember what we read in Isaiah?  God said "my word … that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose" [isaiah 55:11] so we are seeing the way some prophecies are being fulfilled today.  

Let us now see the significance of the LORD's next words to Jeremiah! "See, I have set you this day over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to break down, to destroy and to overthrow ..." That sounds very negative – an awesome prophetic responsibility!  But then we note the LORD's next words to him are, "to build and to plant" – a positive message of the blessings to come after human, godless kingdoms, especially as they exist today, have been overthrown. 

The inspiring 'picture' of those words takes our thoughts to Matthew's chapter 12 we read today where Jesus quotes the prophecy of Isaiah about himself.  "Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased. I will put my Spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles ... and in his name the Gentiles will hope." [Matthew 12:18,21] 

And so we Gentiles have inspiring words of hope today!   Let us all feel inspired in our hearts and minds – creating a sense of inspiration that results in us establishing an awesome sense of relationship with our Lord and experiencing, as Paul puts it, "Christ in you, the hope of glory." (see Colossians 1:27)  

-------

- DC

12 July 2015

1 Samuel 25

Jeremiah 2

Matthew 13 

“TO YOU IT HAS BEEN GIVEN TO KNOW  …”                                                                            

Children love to know a secret!   And to share it!  Lots of whispering!!

But when Jesus answered his disciple’s question, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” [Matthew 13:10]  “he answered them, to you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven” – but he was not saying, keep this a secret, don’t tell anyone about this.  What was the result of him giving his message of simple stories that had a meaning?  The message would get through to the people he wanted to reach, the ordinary people, while the educated lawyers and religious leaders would ‘look down their noses’ at what he was saying. This sort of talk was too lowbrow for them to take seriously.  This would fulfil, says Jesus, what Isaiah wrote, “You will indeed hear, but never understand … for this people’s heart has grown dull” [Matthew 13:14-15 – see Isaiah 6:9-10].  

This has happened repeatedly throughout history, people have not listened properly. They have also tried to “improve” on the message and, as a result, have misunderstood and become like those Paul referred to who “desiring to be teachers … without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions.” [1 Timothy 1:7] 

An example is the reference of Jesus to the “kingdom of heaven”.  He never says kingdom in heaven; he means a heavenly kingdom to come on earth to replace the kingdoms of men.  This is expressed by us when we pray and say the Lord ’s Prayer that the Lord’s “will be done on earth.”.  

When Jesus visited his own “hometown (Nazareth), he taught them in their synagogue, in a way that astonished them.  They said, ‘Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works?  Is this not the carpenter’s son? … and they took offense at him” [Matthew 13:54,55,57].  

Some of the parables we read today we know well.  We read of the wheat and the weeds growing together with no attempt to destroy the weeds until harvest time.  At that time all will be revealed and judgement will be against those who are “weeds” in God’s sight. “Gather the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned” [Matthew 13:30]. 

The world today is more than ever full of weeds, they are springing up everywhere. Make sure you among those to whom ”it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom,” God’s kingdom!  How long now until the harvest? It seems to be very close to the time when the “Son of man will send his angels and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin … then the righteous will shine forth like the sun in the kingdom …” [Matthew 13:42-43]  You know, there is no half and half, you are either weed material – or wheat that can be used in God’s Kingdom, and how wonderful and beyond imagining will that be!

-------

- DC

13 July 2015

1 Samuel 26; 27

Jeremiah 3

Matthew 14  

“HE WENT UP … TO PRAY”

Today we first read in Matthew 14 of the hatred plain speaking can cause when its’ aim is to condemn evil behaviour. John the Baptist had evidently publicly condemned Herodias; she is now the ‘wife’ of Herod having left her husband Philip, his brother. She took the opportunity provided by a foolish oath of Herod, to have John the Baptist beheaded [Matthew 14:3-12].

In Matthew 14:13 we read “Now when Jesus heard this, he withdrew from there in a boat to a desolate place by himself,"  but "when the crowds heard it, they followed him on foot from the towns.  When he went ashore he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them..." [Matthew 14:14] 

We read again that it is a "desolate place" [Matthew 14:15] and his disciples want him to "send the crowds away to go into the villages and buy food for themselves."  But Jesus greatly surprises them by the miracle of multiplying loaves and fish among "about five thousand men, besides women and children." [Matthew 14:21] 

After that Jesus "dismissed the crowds" and then "he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone" [Matthew 14:23] 

There is no doubt the awesome death of his cousin John affected him deeply – this illustrates how true are the words we read in Hebrews, "For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted." [Hebrews 2:18]  He is "one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin." For that reason, we are told in Hebrews 4, we do not have "a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses" [Hebrews 4:15] So let us go "up ... to pray", wherever and whenever it seems appropriate in our personal circumstances. How wonderful, passing normal human comprehension that  "we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens." [Hebrews 7:26]  

How soon now, before he comes to turn our faith to sight. Let us also follow the example of Moses who “by faith left Egypt, not being afraid of the anger of the king, for he endured as seeing him who is invisible.” [Hebrews 11:27] True faith is ‘spiritual sight.’ What a marvellous letter for study and meditation is the letter to the Hebrews.  

-------

- DC

14 July 2015

1 Samuel 28

Jeremiah 4

Matthew 15  

"... IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME"

The religious leaders in Israel in the time of Jesus were zealous in their rituals of worship: the same can be said of the main forms of Christianity down through the centuries.  Today in Matthew 15 we see how Jesus confronted the “Pharisees and scribes” [Matthew 15:1] after they had confronted him!  First, they said, "Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat."  The focus of their thinking was on observing rituals they created by embellishing the laws that were given through Moses.

Jesus challenged them "... for the sake of your tradition you have made void the word of God." [Matthew 15:6]  We must not add to or change what God and His Son command, yet this has been done down through the centuries, such as the invention of christening! But Jesus and others "went down into the water" to be baptised. Peter in his first epistle, after observing it was "through water" that Noah was saved, then says, "Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ" [1 Peter 3:21]  

The Pharisees did not have a "good conscience"  Let us make sure we have; let us never make the word of God void.  How powerful - and how apt is the way Jesus now quotes Isaiah to them, "You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: "This people honours me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me ..." 

Let us meditate on how we worship, our heart must be fully involved.  There is a lesson in the life of Saul, he claimed he had obeyed God, but he did it his way, not as the Lord had commanded, Samuel told him, ""Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD?“ [1 Samuel 15:22]  We must read God's word to understand it and obey it – especially where it applies to life in serving Christ today.  

Saul finally sank to the depths of despair, as we read today in 1 Samuel 28, in consulting a "medium".  There are many kinds of 'mediums' today which people consult, such as 'financial gurus' in their godless planning for a future they see as ‘godless’.  We know all this is "in vain". 

The Creator invites us to "worship me" and now his Son - for he is our advocate at his right hand.  The 1st letter of John has wonderful words for us, "I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." [1 John 2:1]

-------

- DC

15 July 2015

1 Samuel 29; 30

Jeremiah 5

Matthew 16  

"YOU ARE THE CHRIST, THE SON OF THE LIVING GOD"

One of our greatest challenges in life is to see all that happens from God’s perspective. The more we read God’s word and meditate on what we read – the more we are able to do that.  We can see this happening in our readings about the life of David, also in the challenging perceptions of Jeremiah who first protested to God, “I am only a youth” [Jeremiah 1:6].  

The disciples of Jesus were in a special category and Peter was their chief spokesman ready to articulate his perceptions again and again, sometimes inappropriately: they teach us many lessons as we see their perceptions of Jesus increase. Our perceptions must do the same!  Do they?   

Jesus had taken them to the far north of the land to Caesarea Philippi [Matthew 16:13] and asked them as to whom did people think he was? There were various opinions, Elijah, Jeremiah, one of the prophets?   Then comes the challenging question, “But who do you say that I am? [Matthew 16:15] and Peter declares, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God”.   

Christ (the Greek word – ‘Christos’), is “Messiah” in their language – the promised Saviour – and “the people were in expectation” [Luke 3:15] of his coming because of the prophesies in their Bible, especially in Daniel.  Note how Peter uses the phrase, “the living God”- the Creator.  Peter is starting to sense his presence in his life more and more.  David, of whom we are reading in Samuel, sensed this more and more until “the last words of David” include the statement, “The Spirit of the LORD speaks by me; his word is on my tongue” [2 Samuel 23:1-2] and Peter and the Apostles were also to experience this. 

Peter was one of 3 disciples chosen to have a foretaste of “the Son of Man coming in his kingdom” [Matthew 16:28]; this happened six days later when Jesus “led them up a high mountain by themselves … and he was transfigured before them” [Matthew 17:1-2]  It was an experience impressed upon their memory, for Peter, in his 2nd Epistle writes, “we were eye witnesses of his majesty … when he received honour and glory from God …” [2 Peter 1:16-17] 

Let us acknowledge and serve God and His Son every day in all that we say, do and think, as the disciples learnt to do, then we will be walking in the footsteps of men like David and Jeremiah – and then, one day, we will be “eyewitnesses of his majesty.” 

-------

- DC 

16 July 2015

1 Samuel 31

Jeremiah 6

Matthew 17  

"... BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOT ATTENTION TO MY WORDS"

So many of the LORD's messages to and through Jeremiah are appropriate to the attitudes that dominate the world today. Jeremiah served the LORD as a prophet through the reigns of the last 4 kings in Jerusalem, it was an awesome task. His 6th chapter today has many messages from the LORD which are equally appropriate to life  today.  Much of his message was a complaint and lament about attitudes that were being shown.  

"For from the least to the greatest of them, everyone is greedy for unjust gain; and from prophet to priest, everyone deals falsely." [Jeremiah 6:13] The question is asked, "Were they ashamed” of this?  “No, they were not at all ashamed; they did not know how to blush. Therefore they shall fall ... at the time that I punish them ... says the LORD" [Jeremiah 6:15]      

Let us recall what we read in Hebrews - that believers must "draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience ..." [Hebrews 10:22]

Back in Jeremiah we see how The LORD gives him a message for the whole world!  How appropriate it is for today!  "Therefore hear, O nations, ... what will happen ....  Hear, O earth; behold, I am bringing disaster ... because they have not paid attention to my words ... they have rejected it." [Jeremiah 6:18-19] 

Initially this was a warning to Israel; they ignored it!  And now the whole world is ignoring it, although God's word can now be read in every language.  We can add that the world of our generation even rejects belief that a Creator exists, let alone that he holds them accountable for their actions. 

Finally, let us embrace the meaning of a few verses in Matthew 7.  In Matthew 7:21 we read the teaching of Jesus, " "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom ... but the one who does the will of my Father..."  There will be some, says Jesus, who on "that day" of resurrection, will tell him they did many things "in your name" but he will tell them, "depart from me, you workers of lawlessness." [Matthew 7:21,23]  Some in Jeremiah's time may well make similar claims - such as saying 'we worshiped regularly in your temple'  So much 'food' for our thoughts in these words - let us digest them carefully so that on that day we can tell our Lord, “We did pay attention to” his and his Father’s “words.”   

-------

- DC

17 July 2015

2 Samuel 1

Jeremiah 7

Matthew 18  

“DO NOT PRAY FOR THIS …” 

The situation which surrounded Jeremiah was one of near total godlessness. He served as a prophet through the reign of 4 kings, only the first (Josiah) was a god-fearing king.  In the 9th year of the reign of the 4th king (Zedekiah), Jerusalem and the Temple were destroyed. It is evident, we should note, from what we read in Jeremiah 5 that the writings of Jeremiah were not collated by the scribes in chronological order.

Today's Jeremiah 7 describes conditions during the reign of the last or second last king; Jeremiah is told to tell them, "because you have done all these things, declares the LORD, and when I spoke to you persistently you did not listen ...  therefore I will do to the house that is called by my name, and in which you trust ... as I did to Shiloh.(destroy it) And I will cast you out of my sight, ..." [Jeremiah 7:13-15]

The LORD tells Jeremiah, "As for you, do not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede with me, for I will not hear you." [Jeremiah 7:16]  God sees what the people "are doing in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem" they even "make cakes for the queen of heaven. And they pour out drink offerings to other gods" [Jeremiah 7:17-18]

Today, nearly all have convinced themselves, especially in this country, that there is no God, no Creator to fear - so how soon now before God makes his existence evident! 

To conclude we saw in our reading in Matthew 18:1 how Jesus responded to his disciples question, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"  This means the heavenly kingdom to come on earth.  

Jesus used the example of a little child "he put him in the midst of them" and tells them, "unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom" [Matthew 18:3] Our contemplation on the endless greatness of God, with his Son now “at his right hand” [Acts 5:31; Ephesians 1:20], if undertaken with all our heart, will surely cause us to experience the promise of Jesus expressed in Matthew 18:4. "Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."  Let us pray for the kingdom - every day.  

-------

- DC

18 July 2015

2 Samuel 2

Jeremiah 8

Matthew 19  

"PEACE, PEACE, WHEN THERE IS NO PEACE”

As we continue reading Jeremiah we see how uncertain the way of life surrounding him had become - just like today. The LORD says to him, "You shall say to them ... they have rejected the word of the LORD, so what wisdom is in them?... everyone is greedy for unjust gain ... everyone deals falsely." [Jeremiah 8:4,9,10]

At one stage Jeremiah himself becomes overwhelmed by the scene surrounding him and laments -  people are hopefully, wistfully, "saying, 'Peace, peace,' when there is no peace." [Jeremiah 8:11]  They are talking of how much peace is needed!  This is surely both peace of mind, individually, and - a wider peace - for the nation - indeed, for the whole world. We add to this – ‘only when Jesus comes.’

Our thoughts go to the words of Jesus, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." [John 14:27]  Do we understand the "peace" that Jesus alone can give? Jesus went on to encourage his disciples (and us) by saying, "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." [John 16:33]

We are in awe of the situation that developed around Jeremiah, he did not have the fellowship of others to strengthen him: he writes, "My joy is gone; grief is upon me; my heart is sick within me ... I mourn, and dismay has taken hold on me." [Jeremiah 8:18,21]  Could this happen to any of us?

Finally, in Matthew 19 we read of Jesus' encounter with a young man "who had great possessions" who asks him, " "Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?" [Matthew 19:16,22]  He is obviously genuine about this; but he is thinking in terms of doing deeds, but he does not want to lose the 'security' of his possessions.  After he goes sorrowfully away, Jesus comments "to his disciples, ‘Truly, I say to you, only with difficulty will a rich person enter the kingdom …’" [Matthew 19:23]

Having riches does not result in a sense of "Peace" - often the opposite.  Finally, let us reflect on the words of Jesus, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." [John 14:27]  We can add – for ourselves – today – ‘especially when our world is falling apart all around us.’ Let us make sure we have this kind of peace. 

-------

- DC

19 July 2015

2 Samuel 3

Jeremiah 9

Matthew 20 

“IT SHALL NOT BE SO AMONG YOU”                                                                                                    

The ego among human beings keeps occurring in the events of daily life.  There is continual competition as to who will be the most important; some strive to be the greatest, but the most valuable things is teamwork. This is only achieved as a result of a shared vision – by visionary people – and then much effort. The political scene is constantly the best (or rather the worst!) example.  

Our thoughts were prompted to follow these lines by today’s reading in Matthew, it shows how Jesus tackled this spirit that at least some of his disciples were manifesting.  

Two of his disciples, the sons of Zebedee, urged on by their mother, had the ambition to be in the front rank of the action – and of course they were at this point in time expecting that the Kingdom would be established in the near future. They “came up to him” with their mother leading the way and knelt before him “and he said to her, ‘What do you want?’ She responded by saying to him, ‘Say that these two sons of mine are to sit, one at your right hand and one on your left, in your kingdom.” [Matthew 20:21] 

“Jesus answered, ‘You do not know what you are asking … (this) is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father” [Matthew 20:23] There is indignation among the other disciples against the two brothers, “but Jesus called them all to him and said, ‘You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them and their great ones exercise authority … it shall not be so among you.  But whoever would be great among you must be your servant … the son of man came not to be served but to serve …” [Matthew 20:25-28]  And that must be the spirit among his followers.

This reminded us of what we read in Psalm 84, words which demonstrated the spirit which God saw in David; “a man after his (God’s) own heart” [1 Samuel 13:14].  His Psalm tells us, “For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere.  I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.  For the LORD God is a sun and a shield; the LORD bestows favour and honour.  No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.” [Psalm 84:10-11]  Being a doorkeeper in the house of God in the kingdom would be wonderful, fascinating, don’t you think? 

-------

- DC

20 July 2015

2 Samuel 4; 5

Jeremiah 10

Matthew 21  

"CORRECT ME O LORD, BUT ... NOT IN YOUR ANGER"

Jeremiah 10 starts with a challenging message – just as appropriate for today as it was then.  The nation had become totally godless - and we see many comparisons in the messages Jeremiah is caused to give them - with God’s message for today.  "Hear the word that the LORD speaks .... "Learn not the way of the nations, nor be dismayed at the signs of the heavens because the nations are dismayed at them..." [Jeremiah 10:1] And we wonder what 'signs' there could be in coming weeks before the fourth and final 'blood' moon eclipse on September 13!

Jeremiah is told, "for the customs of the peoples are vanity." [Jeremiah 10:3]  The ways of living all around us today "are vanity" - there is no thought of there being a Creator at all.  Jeremiah is told, " Thus shall you say to them: "The gods who did not make the heavens and the earth shall perish ..." [Jeremiah 10:11]  Yes, 'gods' with a little 'g' - especially the gadgets that occupy so many human minds!  

In the next verse we read of the only real God, "who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens."  And clever men have now discovered how endlessly "the heavens" have been "stretched out." 

The next words of God tell us that "When he utters his voice, there is a tumult ..." - and what kind of "tumult" awaits our godless world today!?  Truly, it is just as it was in the days of Jeremiah, "Every man is stupid and without knowledge ..." [Jeremiah 10:14]  That is, true, godly knowledge! They are unaware there is a Creator they should be in awe of - and worship.  Are we fully aware?  Do we show this every day by how we think and live?

Jeremiah responds to the Creators' words, with words we too can use! "I know, O LORD, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.  Correct me, O LORD, but in justice; not in your anger, lest you bring me to nothing." [Jeremiah 10:23-24]  May we say the same and heed any correction the word of God contains that we see as applying to us, especially as we are in awe of Jeremiah’s next and final words in this chapter!  Dare we make them our prayer too? " Pour out your wrath on the nations that know you not, and on the peoples that call not on your name..."   And – Jeremiah witnessed the awesome end of his nation, they did “not call” on God’s “name.” What will we witness? 

-------

- DC

21 July 2015

2 Samuel 6

Jeremiah 11

Matthew 22  

"THE WEDDING FEAST IS READY"

What an interesting set of chapters we have today!  First, in 2 Samuel 6 we read how David pitches a ‘tent’ [2 Samuel 6:17] to house the ark in the newly captured Jerusalem that he has made his capital. But the ark should have been carried as decreed under the law [Numbers 4:4-15]  However, “they carried the ark of God on a new cart” [2 Samuel 6:3] and "the oxen stumbled" and Uzzah "put his hand to the ark" [1 Chronicles 13:10] "And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah ... and he died there beside the ark of God." (2 Samuel 6:7, today's chapter). There is a lesson in this for all who aim to live in a godly way - the appointed method of baptism being a noteworthy example. (see Romans 6:3-5). 

Our second portion Jeremiah 11 has several important warnings the LORD gave to him to bring to the people.  The LORD laments, "They have turned back to the iniquities of their forefathers, who refused to hear my words. ... Behold, I am bringing disaster upon them ..." [Jeremiah 11:10-11] How close are we now to that punishment being repeated today!?  How many refuse to read and absorb the meaning of God’s word!

Today's New Testament reading in Matthew  22 contains a parable about the kingdom and how it "may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son, and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come." [Matthew  22:2-3]  The initial invitation we know was to the nation of Israel, but they killed the messenger.  But the invitation was still there, it was extended to all nations. 

Today "The wedding feast is ready" [Matthew  22:8] but there are not enough guests, so many had, to them, more important things in their lives! See Matthew  22:4-5. 

So God's invitation has gone out, over time, to the whole world!  Both 'bad' and 'good' were gathered. Matthew  22:11-14 describes how these must have "a wedding garment".  They cannot attend on their own terms and we have those awesome words of Jesus to us (Yes, you and me !).  Recall his message in Revelation 16:15, "Behold, I am coming like a thief! Blessed is the one who stays awake, keeping his garments on, that he may not go about naked and be seen exposed!" And keeping them clean!   Jesus said in Revelation 3:4, that "people who have not soiled their garments …  will walk with me in white, for they are worthy" 

A final look at Matthew 22 and the significant conclusion of the parable in Matthew  22:14 "For many are called, but few are chosen."  May we all keep our feet (minds) on the "narrow way" that alone leads to the wonder of everlasting life. 

Yes, “the wedding feast is ready” – but are we?

-------

- DC

22 July 2015

2 Samuel 7

Jeremiah 12

Matthew 23  

“YOUR NAME WILL BE MAGNIFIED FOREVER”  

It feels as if we could fill a book with the thoughts that arise from our 3 chapters today!  However, our chapter in 2 Samuel 7 is surely the most heart-warming and heart challenging!  David, now king and reigning from Jerusalem, decides he should build a house, that is, a Temple for his God, the only real God, to dwell in – instead of “a tent” – which we usually call “the tabernacle.” [2 Samuel 7:2] 

"But that same night the word of the LORD came to Nathan, "Go and tell my servant David ..." [2 Samuel 7:4-5] And what God tells Nathan, when related to David, overwhelms him! 

The message is, "When your days are fulfilled ... I will raise up your offspring after you ... and I will establish his kingdom.   He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.  I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son ... and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me. Your throne shall be established forever.'" [2 Samuel 7:12-14,16] This “house” is a line of descent – like in England, they speak of ‘The house of Windsor.’ 

The Gospels repeatedly describe Jesus as "the son of David" - look at how many times we have seen this in our Matthew readings this week! [Matthew 20:30-31; 21:9,15; 22:42]  Those who knew the wondrous promise to David would see the full significance of calling Jesus this! 

David's awed response as he "went in and sat before the LORD" was "Who am I, O Lord GOD, and what is my house ... You have spoken also of your servant's house for a great while to come, and this is instruction for mankind, O Lord GOD!" [2 Samuel 7:18-19] He then declares, “And your name will be magnified forever” [2 Samuel 7:26]  It is instruction and illumination to the minds of those who seek to know, believe and understand the plans and purpose of God by diligently reading his word: it “is instruction” for you and I!

And how close are we now to the overwhelmingly wondrous fulfilment of this awe inspiring promise!? Our Matthew chapter [Matthew 23] ends with the lament of Jesus. "O Jerusalem ... your house (Temple) is left to you desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"  [Matthew 23:37-39] And then his “name will be magnified forever” [2 Samuel 7:26] How awe-inspiring!  It is far beyond our present comprehension. But it challenges us to meditate on this as deeply as we can.

-------

- DC

23 July 2015

2 Samuel 8; 9

Jeremiah 13

Matthew 24  

"THERE WILL BE GREAT TRIBULATION SUCH AS ..."

Today we have 3 contrasting chapters!  First in 2 Samuel 8; 9, describe the great range of successes of David, now reigning as king. We see this as a small foretaste of the reign of his greater Son – when he returns. 

Then in Jeremiah 13 – the opposite – the dismal state of the nation that had forgotten their God.  The challenge is made, “Hear and  give ear; be not proud, for the LORD has spoken." [Jeremiah 13:15]  And today we can say something similar, 'open your eyes and read' - “be not proud” - for your Creator has left you a vital message! 

In Jeremiah's day disaster comes - and the people say, 'Why have all these things come upon me?' And the answer!  "It is for the greatness of your iniquity ... you suffer violence" [Jeremiah 13:22]  And today?

History repeats itself!  The awesome prophecy of the destruction of the Temple we read today in Matthew 24 when, said Jesus, "there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down" [Matthew 24:2]  is fulfilled about 40 years after Jesus ascended to heaven. But Jesus, in predicting this event, used awesome language to indicate this would be a foretaste of even greater events.  But first "this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." [Matthew 24:14] 

We are in awe of the words he then uses, "For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world ..." [Matthew 24:21] But, says Jesus, those days will be " cut short, (or) no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short." [Matthew 24:22]  Let us make sure we are among "the elect." 

Can we doubt this time is very close?  However, believers in previous generations were sure this was the case in their days!  We ponder the words of Jesus in Matthew 24:44 "...you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect."  Notice – it is in "an hour" during the "days" which are "cut short"! 

The situation in the Middle East today now features God's regathered nation of Israel. Only those who really read and believed the Bible foresaw this 100 years ago. The situation since then has witnessed much "tribulation" - but how close are we now to when "there will great tribulation, such as has not been ..." [Matthew 24:21] previously experienced?  

May the question, first uttered by Moses [Exodus 32:26] "Who is on the LORD's side? Come to me" echo in our ears and minds so loudly that we cannot help but respond.

-------

- DC

24 July 2015

2 Samuel 10

Jeremiah 14

Matthew 25  

"... YOU KNOW NEITHER THE DAY NOR THE HOUR"

Today we first read the continuing success of Israel during the life (so far) of a faithful and dedicated  David – and then the contrast – the dismal failure of the nations’ commitment to God in the time of Jeremiah.  This prophet appeals to the LORD to act "Though our iniquities testify against us, act, O LORD, for your name's sake" [Jeremiah 14:7]  But they have become so totally evil "therefore the LORD does not accept them; now he will remember their iniquity and punish their sins." [Jeremiah 14:10] An ominous example for our godless world today where the word 'sin' is not even used anymore!

Matthew 25 contains 2 very pointed and powerful parables - they are so applicable to today - for we are increasingly in awe of how very near is the time of the return of the Master and the time for giving an account as to how we have used our talents and kept our 'lamps' ready for the "cry, 'Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him" [Matthew 25:6].  As with all parables, the 'punch line' comes at the end - Matthew 25:10,13 – "those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut ... Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour." 

The second parable is about the use of the various 'talents' given to his servants while he is away – we are inclined to interpret these as – abilities – and, we might add, opportunities, to 'work' in various ways in our Master's service.  May we all be among those to whom he will say, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.' [Matthew 25:23]

May you and I have that wondrous - and everlasting - blessing – of “joy” – far beyond our present comprehension!  Let us each motivate ourselves more than ever to be ready to "Come out to meet him" – for we "know neither the day nor the hour"  Yes, even the hour! 

-------

- DC

25 July 2015

2 Samuel 11

Jeremiah 15

Matthew 26  

"I WILL NOT DRINK AGAIN ... UNTIL THAT DAY ..."

Today we read Matthew 26 - in a spirit of reverential awe - the account of the arrest of Jesus and the abject failure of the disciples to give him moral support as he prayed in the garden. He said to Peter, "So, could you not watch with me one hour?" [Matthew 26:40]  Do we realise, what they did not realize, that he needed their moral support!?  Is a time of trouble almost upon us in which we will need to "watch" to support and strengthen one another as we anticipate the coming of the angels "gather his elect ... from the ends of the earth" [Matthew 26:31]

Let us now meditate on the first part of today's chapter and the special fellowship which Jesus had with his disciples when he "took the bread" and then "he took the cup."  But then he added words which fill us with, as no doubt they later did the disciples; with wonderment!  After telling them it symbolised "my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" he added, "I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom." [Matthew 26:26-29]

How soon now - for that wondrous event - it is far beyond our imagining!  Revelation 19:7-8 provides us with a vision of this time!  " Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure" adding,  "for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints."

Food for our deepest meditation here! Can we visualize this marriage supper? Are we, under our Lord's guiding hand, clothing ourselves "with fine linen"? 

How far beyond our ability to imagine this time (and how soon now?) when "the marriage of the Lamb" takes place when we, with his disciples, "drink again ... in my Father's kingdom" in "that day."  We cannot help repeating the question - how soon now?  How tragic for those who declare, as Peter declared just before the rooster crowed, “I know not the man!” [today’s chapter, Matthew 26:74]    

Do we “know” him?  If we say ‘Yes’ surely it means we are claiming to have a genuine relationship with him – every day!  Peter went on to really “know” him: read the opening verses of his epistles!

-------

- DC