TFTBR - May 2015

Resource Manager

01 May 2015

Deuteronomy 18 

Ecclesiastes 10 

Acts 9

“... TO CARRY MY NAME”

Our chapters in Deuteronomy and Acts today link together to give us a challenging message.  Moses continues his final message, his warning to God's nation who are about to leave the wilderness, "you shall not learn to follow the abominable practices of those nations"  that are presently in the land they are about to enter.  We cannot help seeing some parallels with the abominable practices in today's world, before God's kingdom is established.  Moses is then told, "The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you" [Deuteronomy 18:15] "I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him." [Deuteronomy 18:18] 

The prophet Moses was told about - is Jesus! We read on Monday in Acts 3:22-23, how Peter quoted these very words when he was preaching in Jerusalem.  Today in Acts 9, we have the account of Saul, soon to be called Paul, being challenged by the voice of Jesus in an overwhelming bright light - before he reaches Damascus - and then is led blind into the city.

After 3 days a believer named Ananias is told where to find Paul and to lay "his hands on him so that he might regain his sight." [Acts 9:12]  Ananias is horrified - "Lord" he says, "I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem."  But he is told, "Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel.  For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name." [Acts 9:13-16]  It helps to also understand “name” in the sense of “reputation.”

As soon as Paul "regained his sight ... he rose and was baptised." [Acts 9:18] This makes plain that the act of baptism, of going "down into the water" [Acts 8:38], is the essential act to show to oneself as well as others that you now belong to Christ  - see Romans 6:3-5. 

Paul wastes no time in serving Jesus, he now "confounded the Jews who lived in Damascus by proving that Jesus was the Christ ... and ... preached boldly in the name of Jesus." [Acts 9:22,27]  Jesus is still, today, asking all who are willing and committed in heart and mind "to carry my name."  Does that include you? Yes?  Paul's words in 2 Corinthians 13:5 challenge our heartfelt meditation, "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?"

-------

- DC

02 May 2015

Deuteronomy 19

Ecclesiastes 11

Acts 10  

“YOUR PRAYERS ... HAVE ASCENDED"

Does God hear prayer?  Yes!  But Scripture makes it clear that it depends on the spirit of mind in which prayers are offered.  God sees all, "The eyes of the LORD are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good." [Proverbs 15:3]  In Ecclesiastes today we read, "Rejoice … in your youth, and let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth. Walk in the ways of your heart and the sight of your eyes. But know that for all these things God will bring you into judgment." [Ecclesiastes 11:9] 

So what is the nature of the things we rejoice about?   Remember the parable Jesus told about the son who asked for – and received – his share of the inheritance – and 'rejoiced' in squandering it! [Luke 15:12-13] A remarkable man who was seeking the right way to 'rejoice', was none other than a Roman Centurion!   We read of him, Cornelius, in Acts 10 today.

He was a man of prayer, he was seeking a relationship with the true God, the only God, and "prayed continually to God." [Acts 10:2] He receives a vision and is told by an angel, ""Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God." [Acts 10:4]  Does God 'receive' our prayers like that? Are we generous in giving alms?

He is told to "send men to Joppa and bring one Simon who is called Peter" [Acts 10:5] and wastes no time in doing this. The events which follow are also a learning curve for Peter, it had not entered his mind that a Roman Centurion could be saved and put on the name of Jesus!  After hearing the testimony of Cornelius Peter declares, "Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him." [Acts 10:34-35] 

Peter declares to him the "good news of peace through Jesus Christ” explaining that, “to him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name." [Acts 10:36,43]  At this the gift of the Holy Spirit falls on the hearers, this leaves Peter in no doubt that God is accepting the Gentiles equally with the Jews, "and he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ." [Acts 10:48]   

It was the Holy Spirit that inspired the writing of the Bible, and guided the writers; today we have that word in print to guide and inspire us - and bring us ever closer to God – and one day, maybe soon, we will be told "your prayers … have ascended" – when God sends “out the angels (to) gather his elect" [Mark 13:27] and our godless world is dramatically transformed as our Lord reigns in Jerusalem – see Isaiah 2:2-4. 

-------

- DC

03 May 2015

Deuteronomy 20

Ecclesiastes 12

Acts 11; 12 

"GOD WILL BRING EVERY DEED INTO JUDGMENT ... WHETHER GOOD OR EVIL"

These are the final words in Solomon’s Book of Ecclesiastes. In the previous verse he had written, “Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of mankind” At the start of this book we read, these are “the words of the Preacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem.” 

In today’s final chapter we read, “Besides being wise, the Preacher also taught the people knowledge, weighing and studying and arranging, many proverbs with great care.” [Ecclesiastes 12:9]  We quoted a few days ago verse 11 “the words of the wise are like goads, like nails firmly fixed” [Ecclesiastes 12:11] and it reminds us of what Jesus said to Paul on the Damascus road, “It is hard for you to kick against the goads” [Acts 26:14] 

Goads are the nails that are fixed behind horses in harness pulling a carriage, which prick them if they try to disobey the driver.  Paul’s conscience was pricking him as he put loving and God fearing men and women in prison and stood approving the stoning of Stephen.  Do we let the “words of the wise” that God has caused to be preserved throughout the Bible prick our conscience? We should.

Solomon has a particular message for the young. “Rejoice, O young … let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth.  Walk in the ways of your heart … But know that for all these things God will bring you into judgement … Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come …" [Ecclesiastes 11:9; 12:1]   

He is writing in the despondency of old age, death is at the door, he had found “enjoyment in all his toil” [Ecclesiastes 2:24] and now that is all over.  But today we can put a fuller meaning on “before the evil days come” for our world is facing evil times and the good times (?) are largely over; “They are afraid also of what is high, and terrors are in the way” [Ecclesiastes 12:5].  We must take his final words to heart, “Fear  God and keep his commandments … for God will bring every deed into judgment … whether good or evil.”  May our deeds be good. May we have a true relationship with God each day – a relationship that grows the more we read his word.

-------

- DC

04 May 2015

Deuteronomy 21

Song 1

Acts 13 

“BEWARE … WHAT IS SAID IN THE PROPHETS …”  

Our readings in Acts 13 has many lessons about the actions of God and the reactions of men as the message of Jesus was spread.  Paul and Barnabas came to Antioch in Pisidia (southern Turkey) and went into the synagogue and were invited to speak [Acts 13:15]. Paul started by giving them a history lesson of God’s actions in bringing Israel through the wilderness and establishing them in the promised land, giving them kings, in particular David.  Then his message jumps forward to John the Baptist.  We must not underestimate the impact and spread of John’s preaching because later, at Ephesus, Paul is to find those who only know John’s baptism [Acts 19:3] – and Ephesus is a long way from the Jordan! 

Paul’s mention of John is a springboard for him to talk about Jesus and his message.  He points out that those who lived in Jerusalem “did not recognise him nor understand the utterances of the prophets which are read every Sabbath day,” and they “fulfilled them by condemning him” [Acts 13:27].

Paul knew that the same misunderstanding was going to happen in Antioch as they became jealous of the non-Jews when they accepted the message that “everyone who believes (in Jesus) is freed from everything from which you could not be freed by the Law of Moses.” [Acts 13:38-39]. Then comes the punch line!  “Beware therefore, lest what is said in the prophets should come about.” [Acts 13:40]

It came about in the punishment that came on Jerusalem!  And the same can be said today! Punishment is coming! Paul quoted the words God inspired the prophet Habakkuk to write, “Look you scoffers, be astounded and perish; for I am doing a work in your days, a work you will not believe, even if one tells it to you.’” [Acts 13:41; Habakkuk 1:5]  

Today we have scoffers who deride the Bible, apparently learned men who scoff at the very thought that there is a God.  One day, maybe soon, they will “be astounded and perish.”  Then God’s laws will come into action, no longer will the permissive laws of man corrupt mankind.  Let us prepare for that time by understanding the utterances of the prophets, including Jesus and Paul – and taking them to heart, and showing that we have done so, by our words and actions. 

-------

- DC 

05 May 2015

Deuteronomy 22

Song 2

Acts 14; 15 

“CLEANSED THEIR HEARTS BY FAITH” 

Genuine faith is an essential and active ingredient in the lives of those who believe in Jesus – it motivates their actions!  This is made clear in our chapters in the Acts of the Apostles today.  The rapidly developing communities of believers had reached a crisis point when “some believers” in Jerusalem “who belonged to the party of the Pharisees rose up and said, ‘It is necessary to circumcise them and to order them to keep the law of Moses’." [Acts 15:5]

These Jewish converts to faith in Christ wanted the Gentile converts to fully follow Jewish ways: because of this "the apostles and the elders were gathered together to consider this matter." [Acts 15:6] This was held in Jerusalem and there was "much debate." [Acts 15:7] Among the points that Peter made was "God, who knows the heart, bore witness to them, by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us, and he made no distinction between us and them, having cleansed their hearts by faith." [Acts 15:8-9] 

Peter says that what these former Pharisees were advocating would be a "yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear?  But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will." [Acts 15:10-11] The lesson is - we cannot 'earn' salvation through keeping rituals; we are "saved through grace" and it will only be through grace that we will gain a place in God’s kingdom.  The essential ingredient for those who believe is to develop cleansed hearts, the outcome of having a genuine faith.  

At the end of the gathering a letter is composed [Acts 15:23] and sent to the Gentile believers.  It makes the point that "it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements..." [Acts 15:28] The requirement which it is most appropriate for us to carefully note in this 21st Century is to "abstain ... from sexual immortality." [Acts 15:29]  This will come naturally to those who have "cleansed their hearts by faith."  This was also illustrated for us in some detail in Deuteronomy 22 today [Deuteronomy 22:13-30] as part of Moses’ earnest exhortation before the Israelites enter the promised land. May our faith become stronger – and our vision clearer – and then – how wonderfully 'clean' our hearts will become.    

-------

- DC

06 May 2015

Deuteronomy 23

Song 3

Acts 16; 17 

"RECEIVED THE WORD WITH ALL EAGERNESS"

How do we “receive” God’s word?  It is ‘food’ to nourish and build up our minds.  We continue to read about the ‘adventures’ of Paul – the challenges he faced as he went from place to place to spread the true message of salvation – fulfilling the words God said to Ananias in Damascus [Acts 9:15] that Paul "is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel.  For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name."

There was enthusiasm for his message in some places, but not in others – and it is the same in the world today.  Paul's first approach was to go into the local Jewish synagogue, but he almost always  had a better reception among the Gentiles; he usually found some who were looking for real meaning and purpose in their lives – and it has been so ever since.  But today – with nearly all surrounded day by day and week by week by the many activities this modern world thrusts before us, few have interest in seeking and getting to know the eternal purpose of existence.

We read today how Paul, when he came to a place called Berea, went into the synagogue, where he found "these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so." [Acts 17:11]   

The Scriptures of course were what we call the Old Testament and we have seen in earlier chapters in Acts passages which first Peter and then Paul quoted to prove  that the coming of Jesus and his sacrifice had been revealed by God to the prophets.  And today we can, if we are genuinely interested, study and quote them to see how they have foretold today's events with the return of the Jews to their own land – and the events which will now follow – of which our New Testament also has much to reveal to us.  So let us be like the Bereans – so that it can be said of us that we have "received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily ..." A key question for each of us is, ‘How well-nourished is my mind in eternal matters?

-------

- DC 

07 May 2015

Deuteronomy 24

Song 4

Acts 18; 19 

"HOW BEAUTIFUL IS YOUR LOVE"

Once again we have some interesting and, to quite a degree, challenging chapters today.  Our Deuteronomy chapter [24] caused us to meditate on the nature of life without banks, or any money as we have it today, so that there is no situation in which it can be borrowed!   What will be the nature of any "money" in the kingdom age?  Real gold and silver?  

The Israelites, as God's people, were told by Moses in his final message, they are to "purge the evil from your midst" [Deuteronomy 24:7] How much purging will be needed in the kingdom when all peoples will be expected to serve the one real God and "out of Zion shall go the law, and  .... he shall judge between the nations ..." [isaiah 2:3-4]?

The Songs of Solomon are usually understood as a spiritual 'parable' of the bride of Christ, and Christ says to her, "You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you ... You have captivated my heart ... my bride ... how beautiful is your love … my bride!” " [song 4:7,9,10]  With this perspective on the meaning of this 'parable' to what extent are we today, "captivating" the heart of our Saviour?  How can we live so that we do so?

Our chapters in Acts show how the message of the gospel captivated the hearts of some of the converts so that they were really committed in serving Christ; "a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria ... was an eloquent man, competent in the Scriptures. (the Old Testament of course) ... being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus ..." [Acts 18:24-25] When he came to Achaia " he greatly helped those who through grace had believed,  for he powerfully refuted the Jews in public, showing by the Scriptures that the Christ was Jesus." [Acts 18:27-28]

He was showing, in practice "how beautiful" his "love" was for Christ!  "How beautiful is (y)our love?"  There are many ways of showing it!  Let us try harder to live so that "Christ is formed in you" [Galatians 4:19] which was what Paul was agonising in his heart about – concerning the believers in Galatia. 

As we live day after day, absorbing the real spirit of God's word so that "Christ is formed" in you and I, realising more and more fully that we do this by serving one another in the spirit of Christ - as parts of "the body of Christ."  Let us meditate on Paul's words to the Colossians in Colossians 1:28-29.

-------

- DC

08 May 2015

Deuteronomy 25

Song 5

Acts 20 

"WHICH IS ABLE TO BUILD YOU UP"

We read today of Paul's final meeting with the Ephesian elders [Acts 20:18-38]. These verses are a powerful testimony to what matters most in serving our Lord. First he tells them, "I am innocent of the blood of all,  for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God." [Acts 20:26-27] When we teach others we must do the same: this is why our daily reading of God's word, working through the New Testament every 6 months and the Old Testament every 12, is invaluable - in helping us to absorb "the whole counsel of God." In serving our Lord in these final days, we seek to absorb those parts which are most helpful in our understanding of that counsel.

Paul is sad, saying, "I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away disciples after them." [Acts 20:29-30]  And so it happened – and continues down to this day – this is a major reason why it is essential to daily feed on the whole of God's word right through the year, each year.

Paul tells them, "And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance ..." [Acts 20:32]  What a privilege!  It is the greatest thing in life, the preparation for eternal life. We must notice it is "the word of his grace."  We can in no way 'earn' salvation – to succeed in living so that we feel we 'deserve' a place in God's kingdom – but we can – and should – live so that we develop a wonderful spiritual relationship with our Lord.

In completing our thoughts this morning we are drawn to the concluding words and prayer of our Lord to his disciples before his arrest. We find them in John 17:20-21: "I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me."

And so the true original 'church' was established – feeding on God's word "which is able to build (us) up and to give (us) the inheritance ..." But today we live in a world which seeks, more than ever, to tear down all that is spiritual, or at least adulterate God's words so that it conveys no message of hope for our world – or warning about what the future holds. And the world’s future is – very dark – for those who have no relationship with God: make sure you have – and you are being built up each day.

-------

- DC

09 May 2015

Deuteronomy 26

Song 6

Acts 21; 22 

"LET THE WILL OF THE LORD BE DONE"

Our readings in ACTS have now brought us to the time when Paul returns to Jerusalem and is arrested. Those possessed with the Holy Spirit gift of prophecy in Caesarea told him that imprisonment awaited him if he went up to Jerusalem and "the people there urged him not to go up to Jerusalem." [Acts 21:12] But Paul responded, "What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus." [Acts 21:13] So they ceased trying to persuade him to stay "and said, "Let the will of the Lord be done."

And so Paul went up to Jerusalem – and was arrested!  Would we have done so – if we had been Paul?  But we are not Paul, we have not been converted like he was – hearing the actual voice of Jesus, knowing the Scriptures (the Old Testament)  thoroughly – and then our minds suddenly coming awake to their true meaning and their wonderful message about the Lord Jesus Christ. 

But in letting "the will of the Lord be done." Paul was opening up the way for other things to happen!   After the physically stressful time of his many travels which he summarises in his second letter to the Corinthians, writing of his "imprisonments, with countless beatings, and often near death. Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned ..." [2 Corinthians 11:23-25] he at last would have time and relative peace to write many encouraging (and warning) letters to those he had converted. He would also testify before a king and a governor, influence a ship's captain – and other such situations. 

Paul's life, even though he was not "free" in a physical sense, was one of continuing opportunities to serve his Lord.  It is a powerful example to us in our lives, to look for how "the will of the Lord" for us – is opening ways for us to be of service to him in new and spiritually stimulating ways. The longer we live the more we should become  conscious "that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." [Romans 8:28] Let us make sure we get the point – for the "good" of "HIS purpose"!

Have you seen things working together for good in this way in your journey in life? We usually only see this clearly when we look back.  The value of the struggle in climbing the ‘steep and rugged pathway’ is only clearly seen when we contemplate the value of the end result – and maybe it was not so steep as it seemed at the time – for we come to see that our Lord was with us.  

-------

- DC

10 May 2015

Deuteronomy 27

Song 7

Acts 23; 24 

“AMEN”                                                                                                                                                 

In our Deuteronomy reading today the word ‘AMEN’ occurs no less than 12 times! Very soon now the Israelites will be crossing the Jordan, but Moses will no longer be their leader.  Their crossing of the Jordan carries great symbolism, “Moses and the Levitical priests said to all Israel, ‘Keep silence and hear O Israel: this day you have become the people of the LORD your God. You shall therefore obey the voice of the LORD your God, keeping his commandments and his statutes which I command you today.” [Deuteronomy 27:9-10]  

We must not underestimate those opening words – “Keep silence and hear” – all too many of us only hear what we want to hear! We blot out the rest but fail to keep silence. The crossing of the Jordan will be, in a way, like a baptism, as the crossing of the Red Sea had been to their parents, see 1 Corinthians 10:2. 

Moses goes on to say that when they have crossed the Jordan they are to show that they hear – and what’s more – that they agree with what they have heard!  He tells them what is to happen.  “The Levites shall declare to all the men of Israel in a loud voice” [Deuteronomy 27:14] They will declare to them twelve statements and after each the people are to respond by saying, “AMEN”; in this away acknowledging they have heard and agree!

The first statement relates to the first sin that had been committed after they left Egypt. “Cursed be the man that makes a carved or cast metal image, an abomination to the LORD … and all the people shall say, Amen” [Deuteronomy 27:15] The final statement in the last verse is, “Cursed be anyone who does not confirm the words of this law by doing them. And all the people shall say ‘Amen’.”

Imagine being one of the people saying, Amen! Well, the commitment the people made worked. Almost all the people who went into the land under the leadership of Joshua and who had kept silence and heard and had said Amen, were faithful to their agreement. Next week we will read of the tragedy of the one who failed. Let us learn lessons from these examples, let us be willing to say “Amen” to what the Lord requires of us today.

-------

- DC

11 May 2015

Deuteronomy 28

Song 8

Acts 25; 26 

"AND ALL THE PEOPLES ON THE EARTH"

Today we read the long, but spiritually challenging, 28th chapter of Deuteronomy. In it, Moses in his final message to his people spells out the two alternatives they face.  If they truly serve God – blessings!  If they do not – trouble and distress. "The LORD will ... bless you in the land that the LORD your God is giving you. The LORD will establish you as a people holy to himself, as he has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the LORD your God and walk in his ways. And all the peoples of the earth shall see that you are called by the name of the LORD, and they shall be afraid of you." [Deuteronomy 28:8-10]

They were blessed – at first!  Under the leadership of Joshua, and, generations later under the leadership of David and Solomon – the LORD did "make (them) abound in prosperity" [Deuteronomy 28:11] But at other times, most times, they were a dismal failure, most of all when they did not recognise God's son – and then the fullness of the curses listed from Deuteronomy 28:15 came upon them. We note the warning, described from Deuteronomy 28:64, "the LORD will scatter you among all peoples, from one end of the earth to the other ..."  Wonderfully this punishment was not to be for ever and tomorrow we will start reading the marvellous prophecies God made through Isaiah which includes references to their future and the ultimate future of those who truly believe and have faith in God. 

In Acts today we read the challenging testimony the Apostle Paul made before King Agrippa.  He said, "To this day I have had the help that comes from God, and so I stand here testifying both to small and great, saying nothing but what the prophets and Moses said would come to pass: that the Christ must suffer and that, by being the first to rise from the dead, he would proclaim light both to our people and to the Gentiles." [Acts 26:22-23]  Paul had this help and a great and wonderful message to spread!  It gave a wonderful purpose to his life – and it gives a wonderful purpose to our lives, indeed, the only real, eternal purpose there is!

King Agrippa asked Paul, "... would you persuade me to be a Christian?" [Acts 26:28] God's scriptures are now available to just about "all the peoples on the earth" – and ask us the same question! We see how God's chosen nation has been re-established again in their promised land – how soon before their Saviour, God’s Son reveals himself to them!? Are you ready for that – it will totally change the present order of life on earth – make sure you are part of it – and experience the wonder of God’s eternal blessings. 

-------

- DC

12 May 2015

Deuteronomy 29

Isaiah 1

Acts 27  

"IF YOU ARE WILLING AND OBEDIENT"

Today we started reading the wonderful prophecy of Isaiah.  His time as a prophet of the LORD covered the reign of four kings, beginning with the reign of Uzziah who suffered leprosy as a punishment for becoming too proud in his later years and entering the Temple and trying to burn incense [2 Chronicles 26:16-20]  It is only when we come to the fourth king, Hezekiah; is there a king who does what is right in the eyes of the LORD.  [2 Chronicles 29:2]

Isaiah's opening message could equally be a message for today. "Ah, sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, offspring of evildoers, children who deal corruptly!" [isaiah 1:4] They are challenged, "Hear the word of the LORD, you rulers of Sodom! Give ear to the teaching of our God, you people of Gomorrah!" [isaiah 1:10]

Yet it was not quite like today - they did give the outward appearance of serving God. "When you come to appear before me .... Bring no more vain offerings ... I cannot endure iniquity and solemn assembly." [isaiah 1:13]   So they came to the Temple for "solemn assembly" but the LORD saw it as just keeping up outward appearances. 

So the opening message of Isaiah provides a significant message for us today.  Do we believe in the Creator, and his Son our Saviour with all our hearts?  Are our "solemn assemblies" when we come together on a Sunday genuinely "solemn"?  

Isaiah is then caused to write, "Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow .... If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land" [isaiah 1:18-19]   This is rather parallel with Moses’ words to Israel that we read today in Deuteronomy 29, "keep the words of this covenant and do them, that you may prosper in all that you do. You are standing today all of you before the LORD ..." [isaiah 1:9-10] And they did listen, they stood before the LORD and therefore prospered, crossing the Jordan to enter the promised land.  Let us do likewise - and we have the added blessing of having God's written word in our hands to inspire us - day after day. 

-------

- DC

13 May 2015

Deuteronomy 30

Isaiah 2

Act 28  

"THE HAUGHTINESS OF MAN SHALL BE HUMBLED"

We have 3 most instructive chapters today.  In Deuteronomy 30 Moses’ continues his final message of encouragement to his people - that the Lord "will bring you into the land that your fathers possessed, that you may possess it. And he will make you more prosperous and numerous than your fathers.  And the LORD your God will circumcise your heart ..." [Deuteronomy 30:5-6]  Our attitude of heart is essential - to be "cut to the heart" as Peter's hearers were on the day of Pentecost [Acts 2:37]

The experiences of the Israelites as they left the wilderness, in which all their parents had died, is instructive. Moses had brought them close to God, he told them "...the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it." [Deuteronomy 30:14] And it is in our hands so that we can read and "do it" But how many do?  Do they see this world as a wilderness?  Paul like them, was in the final stages of his journey - in his mortal life - as we read today in the last chapter of Acts. Our world, as we know it now, is in its’ last stages!

Our reading in Isaiah 2 offered us two contrasts - they are intensely challenging. The first is wonderful, it describes the time that is coming "in the latter days" when "out of Zion shall go the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.  He shall judge between the nations ..." [isaiah 2:2-4] How close are we to that day!?  But before that 'day' "the LORD of hosts has a day against all that is proud and lofty ... against all the lofty mountains ..." [isaiah 2:12,14]  And we think of the lofty mountains in Nepal!

Isaiah 2:15 awes us with its' potential application! "Against every high tower" and we think of how buildings and towers have been built to incredible heights in recent years!  And when we come to Isaiah 30:25 we will read of "the day of the great slaughter, when the towers fall." 

Back in Isaiah 2 we see the time described when "people shall enter the caves of the rocks and the holes of the ground, from before the terror of the LORD, and from the splendour of his majesty, when he rises to terrify the earth." [isaiah 2:19]  The opening verses we read described the "splendour of his majesty" and so " the haughtiness of man shall be humbled, and the lofty pride of men shall be brought low and the LORD alone will be exalted in that day" [isaiah 2:17]

Will you and I be there to see "the splendour of his majesty"?  Isaiah invited his fellows (and surely this invitation is for us today)  “O house of Jacob, come, let us walk in the light of the LORD."  Let us all make it clear to our Lord that we are walking in the light - today - and every day. 

-------

- DC

14 May 2015

Deuteronomy 31

Isaiah 3; 4

Colossians 1 

"WARNING EVERYONE AND TEACHING EVERYONE”

Today we started reading Paul’s letter "To the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae" [Colossians 1:2] The first chapter ends in a meaningful and challenging way, he writes, "we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me."  Christ worked “within” Paul!  And “within” us?

We often meditate upon "the mind of Christ"  - but what about the mind, the spirit of mind, Paul developed!  Do we see this as an example to us?  Or is it completely beyond our reach?  Let us not forget that Paul told the Corinthians, "we have the mind of Christ" [1 Corinthians 2:16]  And how inspiring for us is what Paul told the Hebrews,  that God "has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." [Hebrews 13:5]

Tomorrow we will read in Colossians 2 that Paul seeks for them to "be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ,  in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." [Colossians 2:2-3]  Read that again - and again.  This is central to what Paul was "teaching everyone."!  

Are we making real progress in grasping "God's mystery, which is Christ"?  Are we progressively discovering more "treasures of wisdom and knowledge"?  This is the foundation, so that we learn "to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God" [Colossians 1:10]

Paul sets the example!  Do we find his example impossible - beyond our ability to follow - even a little?  Paul tells the Colossians, "we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding" [Colossians 1:9]  Paul writes of "this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.  Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ." [Colossians 1:27-28] 

The narrow way in following Christ - is a daily challenge - but it is a wonderful challenge and the more we can spiritually put our hands in his, the more we will marvel at "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" which "are hidden" in Christ which we will be discovering more and more as we read and meditate upon the Scriptures each day.

-------

- DC

15 May 2015

Deuteronomy 32

Isaiah 5

Colossians 2  

"THEY DO NOT REGARD ..."

Today we read two challenging 'songs' that are addressed to God!  At the end of  Deuteronomy 31 we are told, "Then Moses spoke the words of this song until they were finished, in the ears of all the assembly of Israel" and todays’ Deuteronomy 32 gives us the words; this is Moses’ last message to the people before he dies.

The words that particularly caught our attention are, "May my teaching drop as the rain, my speech distil as the dew, like gentle rain upon the tender grass, and like showers upon the herb. For I will proclaim the name of the LORD; ascribe greatness to our God!  The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness ..." [Deuteronomy 32:2-4]  Most encouraging words!  But some of the words Moses went on to sing are a reflection on the history of their attitudes in the wilderness, "... they are a perverse generation, children in whom is no faithfulness ... a nation void of counsel, and there is no understanding in them" [Deuteronomy 32:20,28] 

How true these words had been of the parents of the children listening to this song - and how true they would be again at periods between the Judges that would 'rule' after the death of Joshua. 

There are clear comparisons to this in Isaiah 5, our second reading today. This starts, "Let me sing for my beloved, my love song concerning his vineyard ..." This is a parable.  In the times when their vision of God evaporates, they cease to have any regard for God and there is no fruit in the vineyard and, as a result, God says, "it shall be trampled down.  I will make it a waste; it shall not be pruned or hoed, and briers and thorns shall grow up; I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it. For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel ..." [isaiah 5:5-7]

We cannot avoid seeing the comparison with our world today, for "... they do not regard the deeds of the LORD, or see the work of his hands." [isaiah 5:12] They are wilfully blind to his creation!  Isaiah tells them, "Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes ..." [isaiah 5:21]  Isaiah 5:25 arrested our minds! "Therefore the anger of the LORD was kindled against his people, and he stretched out his hand against them and struck them, and the mountains quaked ..." 

But let us be among the few who respond to the invitational way this verse ends, "For all this his anger has not turned away, and his hand is stretched out still." Have you responded to his hand? 

Of course God’s hand, as well as being stretched out in a welcoming way, can also be stretched out in judgement.  We see this in Isaiah 14 “This is the purpose that is purposed concerning the whole earth, and this is the hand that is stretched out over all the nations.” [isaiah 14:26]  Let us make sure we are on the Lord’s side and have full regard for his word, for the time when God’s “hand” will go into action is surely close.

-------

- DC 

16 May 2015

Deuteronomy 33; 34

Isaiah 6

Colossians 3; 4  

"COVETOUSNESS, WHICH IS IDOLATRY"

Today we read the last 2 chapters of Colossians - and also the last two in Deuteronomy which feature Moses final words - and then God buried him, his work for God was completed.

Paul is in chains, as the last verse of this epistle tells us, yet "the word of God is not bound!" [2 Timothy 2:9] and in whatever circumstances we find ourselves in we should seek to speak or write (and there are various ways of 'writing' these days) to express encouragement, thankfulness, or warning to others. What examples Paul gives us!

First, we must take his words as a message to us personally - only when we have done that can we be in the right frame of mind - to give words or messages of advice to others. What inspiration Colossians 3:4 puts into our minds, "When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." Our reaction to this expectation Paul says in the next verse should be to "Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry."

Our world is full of covetousness, nearly all the advertising that constantly meets us, using so many forms of media, is designed to encourage us to do this or that to satisfy our fleshly inclinations - and to make us sort of proud about owning or doing something.

The very next words of Paul after saying "covetousness ... is idolatry" is to state "On account of these the wrath of God is coming."  This creates awe in the minds of those who know God's word, it is so applicable to our world today!  We can say with Isaiah, as we read today, "I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips" [isaiah 6:5] and this can make us feel "unclean" unless, as with Isaiah," ... your guilt is taken away, and your sin atoned for." [isaiah 6:7] 

Isaiah was given a vision of the future, he hears and sees a seraphim calling, "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!" [isaiah 6:3]  All sense of idolatry, i.e. covetousness, will vanish away in that day - may you and I, by the grace of God, be there.

-------

- DC

17 May 2015

Joshua 1

Isaiah 7

1 Thessalonians 1; 2 

“PEOPLE PLEASERS”    

Today the world is attracted, or maybe we should say, distracted, by popularity polls, there is remarkable attention given to people’s opinions, politicians in particular are conscious of this.  As a result they think a lot about how they might please people.  When some matter is not very popular they try to put a “spin” on the situation when they have to talk about it; genuine and honest comments are rare. 

Our reflections on this were triggered by the term “people pleasers” in yesterday’s readings in Colossians 3.  It is linked with the phrase “eye service” which refers to doing your work diligently when the boss’s eye is on you!  Note context for these words, “obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord” [Colossians 3:22].  

Notice that last phrase, “fearing the Lord” – fearing Him more than any earthly boss, knowing “the eyes of the LORD are in every place keeping watch on the evil and the good” [Proverbs 15:3].  In the context of Colossians, Paul is writing to those who were slaves, that is, servants - few believers were Masters.  But the principles Paul states apply to everyone who works for a living and receives a wage and that is really the great majority of us for the greater period of our lives.   So we note the final piece of Paul’s advice, “Work heartily as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward” [Colossians 3:24]. 

He continues his advice in the next chapter, “Conduct yourself wisely toward outsiders, making the best use of the time.  Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.” [Colossians 4:5-6]     

Jesus told his disciples, “You are the salt of the earth” [Matthew 5:13], this means that their presence would be a valuable influence in society. The world does not realize how much the influence of true Bible believers is missing from society. “The salt has lost its taste … saltiness,” Jesus went on to say, ”It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet.”  Let us try harder to do our part. Where-ever we are, we must not lose our saltiness, let us be God-pleasers and not “people pleasers”.  

-------

- DC  

18 May 2015

Joshua 2

Isaiah 8

1 Thessalonians 3; 4  

"ESTABLISH YOUR HEARTS BLAMELESS"

Paul's first letter to the Thessalonians inspires us!  The believers there gave Paul inspiration; they were the ones he found he had the least to worry about – of their walk in Christ.  His third chapter ends, "may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints."

If Paul were alive now, would he write that to you and I?  We pray that he would - and he surely would if we possessed, or at least were well on the way to possessing, the same spirit as the believers at Thessalonica. 

In 1 Thessalonians 4 he writes, "we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus ... to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more." [1 Thessalonians 4:1]  There can be no half measures, as we say today.   Paul says, "For this is the will of God, your sanctification" [1 Thessalonians 4:3]  That is a word we do not use today, it means 'holy-fication'!  'Holy' basically means, 'set apart' - and as our world grows ever more godless - we need to be 'set-apart' from it more than ever.

As we are reading in Joshua, there were just one or two of the idol-shippers already living in the promised land who professed belief in the one true God. We read how Rahab declared, "the LORD your God, he is God in the heavens above and on the earth beneath." [Joshua 2:11]  May we find one or two, or even more, today!

Back in our Thessalonians chapter we read Paul's wonderful declaration of faith in the most dramatic future event of all time - which we, by the grace of God, may ourselves see!  The chapter ends,  " For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words."  

May we all "establish (y)our hearts blameless in holiness before our God" ready for "the coming of our Lord" which is surely very near, for the signs are multiplying - and we have a challenging chapter on this to read tomorrow.

-------

- DC

19 May 2015

Joshua 3; 4

Isaiah 9

1 Thessalonians 5  

"... OF PEACE THERE WILL BE NO END"

What interesting and faith-stimulating readings we have today!  In Joshua we read of the people crossing the Jordan into the promised land. To make the miracle even more evident they did it in the harvest time floods, when "the Jordan overflows all its banks". [Joshua 3:15] Of course, the harvest would be most valuable for them after the ‘food’ during their wilderness journeys; all these events would leave the people in no doubt of God's guiding care - and it would also exalt Joshua in their eyes.

When he turn to Isaiah we read a prophecy of the greater Joshua, that the time is coming when "to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called..." [isaiah 9:6]   And what is he to be known as?  We can see the words given - in the sense of being his reputation!  He is ultimately seen as "Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.  Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David ..." [isaiah 9:7]

It is prophetic visions such as this that inspired - and today inspires - believers in God and his Son. It is the "great light" that takes away the "gloom" and the "deep darkness." [isaiah 9:1-2] It did for those who recognised Jesus in his first coming - and it does so today - for those who, in faith,  carefully read and believe God's word.

And yet - today - it puts them in awe of what is to come, they are "fully aware," as we read today in 1 Thessalonians 5 "that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.  While people are saying, ‘There is peace and security,’ then sudden destruction will come upon them ...” [1 Thessalonians 5:2-3].  But we, "since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,  who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him." [1 Thessalonians 5:8-10] in the coming time "of peace" (to which) there will be no end."  May our “breastplate” and “helmet” be secure! Our diligent reading of God’s word is an essential part to achieving this. 

-------

- DC

20 May 2015

Joshua 5; 6

Isaiah 10

2 Thessalonians 1; 2 

"COMFORT YOUR HEARTS AND ESTABLISH THEM"

Our 5 chapters today contained an overflow of challenging - and in one or two cases - puzzling prophecies: but these should be seen as part of the wisdom of God - otherwise his word could be left on our bookshelves much of the time after we had resolved and understood all that it had to tell us.  

In Joshua we read of the dramatic destruction of Jericho - but first Joshua had an encounter with an angel, "the commander of the LORD's army" [Joshua 5:15] parallel to Moses' experience: he is told to, "Take off your sandals from your feet, for the place where you are standing is holy."- this removed from his heart any sense of his own worth in what was about to happen.

The 34 verses of Isaiah 10 are quite a mixture, we are told "the LORD" is "the Holy One of Israel" and "A remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob, to the mighty God." [isaiah 10:20-21] - not just return to the land, but return to God. We await that time.

In 2 Thessalonians we learn that "when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels" he will be " inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus." [2 Thessalonians 1:8-9]  They will suffer "eternal destruction ... when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marvelled at among all who have believed ..." [2 Thessalonians 1:9-10]. There is no value in understanding the true gospel if we fail to obey it!  There has been distorted teaching among Christians, and how to live a Christ-like life, from the time of Paul. 

Paul also told them, " the mystery of lawlessness is already at work" [2 Thessalonians 2:7]! The world is full of lawlessness today, but it is the spiritual kind that is worst of all in God’s sight.  At the final time, Paul tells them, "the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming." [2 Thessalonians 2:8]

2 Thessalonians 2:11-12 cause us much meditation, "God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness."  Knowing what is true requires a genuine God-fearing way of life by us!

May the way Paul ends this chapter be seen as specially for us today, "may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace,  comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word."

-------

- DC

21 May 2015

Joshua 7

Isaiah 11

2 Thessalonians 3  

"GIVE GLORY TO THE LORD ... TELL ME ..."

The above words were spoken by Joshua to Achan after the LORD had identified him as the one who had committed a serious sin.   This sin was why, after the success in destroyed Jericho, the Israelites had failed to destroy the small city of Ai.  Joshua's words are significant, ""My son, give glory to the LORD God of Israel and give praise to him. And tell me now what you have done; do not hide it from me." [Joshua 7:19]  Achan had taken valuable spoil he obtained in the conquest of Jericho and hidden it in his tent: it cost him his life! Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes, "One sinner destroys much good." [Ecclesiastes 9:18] What things have the potential to cost us eternal life?  

Isaiah 11 is a marvellous prophecy; firstly, of the work of Jesus in his first coming because "the Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him .... and his delight shall be in the fear of the LORD" [isaiah 11:2-3]. Achan had no "fear", i.e. awe of God’s all-seeing eyes.  Jesus was totally conscious of this – and of his will – and what he had set before him to accomplish.   Our "fear" must include a sense of "awe" at the creation and its' Creator and what we can accomplish! 

Then Isaiah is given a wondrous 'picture' of God's kingdom in action when, after striking "the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall kill the wicked" [isaiah 11:4] nature will be brought into harmony, even "the nursing child shall play over the hole of the cobra" [isaiah 11:8]. Most wonderful of all, "they shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea." [isaiah 11:9] and surely all those alive will "give glory to the Lord."

We completed today reading Paul's 2nd letter to the Thessalonians.  Paul asks them to "pray … that the word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honoured, as happened among you, and that we may be delivered from wicked and evil men." [2 Thessalonians 3:1-2] How much we need to do that today. Paul then adds, "For not all have faith. But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you ..."  How real is our faith?  We read yesterday in 2 Thessalonians 1 of the coming awesome time "when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven .., when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints ..." [2 Thessalonians 1:7,10]

We ponder the use of the word "glory" in various contexts; if we give God "glory" now in the ways open to us – remembering that Paul prayed that “our God may make you worthy of his calling” [2 Thessalonians 1:11] – we will, by the grace of our Lord, be there when Isaiah's prophecy is fulfilled and "the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD."

-------

- DC 

22 May 2015

Joshua 8

Isaiah 12

1 Timothy 1; 2; 3 

"GODLY AND DIGNIFIED IN EVERY WAY"

There can be no half measures in following Christ!  We must develop full commitment.  Today we started reading Paul’s letters to Timothy, Paul has “urged” him “to remain at Ephesus” and "charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine" [1 Timothy 1:3]; some have "have wandered away into vain discussion,." [1 Timothy 1:6]   

Sadly, down the centuries this has happened more and more, such as belief in having an 'immortal soul’, but no such phrase occurs anywhere in the Bible; rather, it tells us “the soul who sins shall die” [Ezekiel 18:4].  The real hope of believers is in the resurrection as we have just read in Thessalonians. This 'wandering away' is the reason why there are so many different churches. 

In 1 Timothy 2 Paul says, "First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made ... (to) all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way." [1 Timothy 2:1-2]   In our generation this peacefulness has happened in this country- do we really appreciate our blessings?  What agonies of conscience believers had, for example, during the world wars of the 20th Century and the American Civil war of the 19th.  Jesus said, "For all who take the sword will perish by the sword." [Matthew 26:52]

It is also just as vital today, as it was then, "that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarrelling" [1 Timothy 2:8] And that women "should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness­with good works." [1 Timothy 2:9-10]

What matters is not outward adorning,  note Peter's point in his 1st letter, " ... let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.  For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves." [1 Peter 3:3-4]   Let us all make every effort to  “lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way." 

-------

- DC

23 May 2015

Joshua 9

Isaiah 13

1 Timothy 4; 5  

"KEEP A CLOSE WATCH ON YOURSELF"

Paul’s 1st letter to Timothy is a source of much advice and guidance for us today.  Paul gives him much instruction about the problems at Ephesus and how best to deal with them.  Most are comparable with the problems we have today.

But having instructed others Timothy must put into “practice these things” himself. “Immerse yourself in them,” says Paul, “so that all may see your progress." [1 Timothy 4:15]  Ponder the significance of the word “immerse”! 

Setting an example is vital - otherwise we undermine what we are saying others should do.  The chapter concludes,  "Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching.  Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers."

This reminds us of the words of James we will read next month, "For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror.  For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like.   But the one who looks .... and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing." [James 1:23-25]

So let us all keep a close watch on ourselves: we and they must not be, Paul told Timothy, "gossips and busybodies, saying what they should not."  [1 Timothy 5:13]  There are so many things that encourage people (and us) to do just this today - so we need all the more to - to "keep a close watch on ourselves." 

-------

- DC

24 May 2015

Joshua 10

Isaiah 14

1 Timothy 6  

"BUT AS FOR YOU … PURSUE RIGHTEOUSNESS” 

Righteousness?  In the very earliest translations of the Bible into English this word was spelt right-wise-ness!  Interesting – we like to think of it as indicating that the only wise way to live our lives was always to aim to do right – that is, right by God’s standards.. 

Paul, in concluding his first letter to Timothy tells him that he needs to pursue a ‘right-wise’ way of life.  It needs mental energy, a real sense of the right direction on which to focus the eyes of our minds. Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, only with difficulty will a rich person enter the kingdom” [Matthew 19:23].  There are “riches” of human creation  all around us in the world today- as never before!

This is the point Paul is telling Timothy to make to believers while he is living in Ephesus [1 Timothy 1:3]. Paul writes to him saying, “for the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils.  It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.  Fight the good fight of faith. Take hold of eternal life to which you were called …” [1 Timothy 6:10-12]

This advice to Timothy is surely for us as well! How do you “take hold” of something?  You need both hands!  Well, in those days, indeed until about 200 years ago, most individuals who needed to travel some distance had to mount and take hold of the reins of a horse (or a camel or an ass in Bible times) and guide it with firm hands to the desired destination. He had to have a good sense of direction, sign posts were non-existent! 

May all of us have such a commitment to living our lives that we “take hold” of the right and wise directions in life, ignoring the distracting human signposts and “the uncertainty of riches” [1 Timothy 6:17] but, as Paul advised, to be “rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.” [1 Timothy 6:18-19]  We can only effectively “pursue” that which we have set our eyes (and minds) to look upon!   David wrote in Psalm 101:3 “I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless”, let us do likewise.  

-------

- DC

25 May 2015

Joshua 11

Isaiah 15

2 Timothy 1  

"I AM NOT ASHAMED, FOR I KNOW ..."

Today we started reading the final epistle Paul wrote – his second one to Timothy whom he calls “my beloved child.” [2 Timothy 1:2]  He then says,  “I thank God whom I serve ... with a clear conscience."  Can we say the same?  Let us make sure everything we do in service to God is done with a sincere Christ-like mind. 

Paul tells Timothy, "I am reminded of your sincere faith" [2 Timothy 1:5]. We recall what Paul wrote in his first letter to Timothy about "love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith." [1 Timothy 1:5]  Obviously there can be expressions of faith that are not fully sincere; we can have mixed motives, our purity can be a little polluted!

In today's chapter Paul goes on to say, "God gave us a spirit ... of power and love and self-control." [2 Timothy 1:7] But God is not making us use these attributes – we are not automatons. What is self-control?  Is it obvious? To the Corinthians Paul had written, "For the love of Christ controls us." [2 Corinthians 5:14]  This is different to 'human' self-control.

Paul, after referring to his sufferings as a result of his labours in the Lord's service says, “But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed ..." [2 Timothy 1:12] this is a 'knowing' that means he has a real 'living' relationship with his Saviour - and this enables him to have the strength and the vision to do all that he can to the uttermost.  After stating this, he adds, "I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me" and then urges Timothy to "follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." [2 Timothy 1:13]

Love is a much abused word today, very little can be compared to the “love” that is “in Christ Jesus.”  When we come to the short Epistle of Jude may our minds embrace his appeal for us to “keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life.” [Jude 21]

May we strive to the uttermost to not be ashamed of our faith and belief – because of the godless world that surrounds us. May we – day by day – little by little – add to the strength and intensity of our faith.

-------

- DC