TFTBR - April 2015

Resource Manager

01 April 2015

Numbers 15

Proverbs 11

Luke 24 

“DID NOT OUR HEARTS BURN …” 

We meditated deeply on all our readings today – they each moved our hearts and minds – but in different ways. Numbers 15 provoked our thoughts with the LORD’s  instructions to Moses about those who "sin unintentionally, and do not observe all these commandments that the LORD has spoken ..." [Numbers 15:22]. The LORD's instructions were not judgemental except to the one who "does anything with a high hand" [Numbers 15:30]. We have no excuse for sinning unintentionally, we have the whole of God's word to guide us.

Our Proverbs chapter [Proverbs 11], when we recognise the way the little word "but" occurs 19 times, unfolds as a challenging picture of contrasts between what God (& our Saviour) rejoice in seeing in our spirit  and the awesome contrast of the opposites.  It us a powerful chapter for our heart searching meditation; "Riches do not profit in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death." [Proverbs 11:4] "but by knowledge the righteous are delivered." [Proverbs 11:9] God's word is the only source of this kind of knowledge.

Our thoughts go to the LORD's challenge to Job, ""Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?" [Job 38:2] leading Job to ultimately respond, "I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me ..." [Job 42:3]  But in the end he could say, "I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you" [Job 42:5], which reminds us of Paul's perceptions, have a look at Ephesians 1:18.      

The final chapter of Luke's Gospel generated many different thoughts.  The two journeying to Emmaus had "their hearts burn" within them, as the unrecognised Jesus  opened to them the scriptures, [Luke 24:32] They persuaded the stranger to stay with them and " he took the bread and blessed and broke it and gave it to them" [Luke 24:29-30] and as a result "they recognized him. And he vanished from their sight." 

What caused their eyes to be opened?  Surely it was because they saw his hands as he broke the bread and gave it to them!   What causes our eyes to be opened?  Or, are they really open?  Do we only know about these things, only knowing "by the hearing of the ear" - or reading of our eyes. What did Job come to "see"?  Did you look up Paul's words in Ephesians? "…having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe" - and so "our hearts burn" – it is of great concern if they don’t! 

-------

- DC

02 April 2015

Numbers 16 

Proverbs 12 

Galatians 1; 2  

"IT IS NO LONGER I WHO LIVE"

Paul's letter to the Galatians has some of the most spiritually challenging verses in the Bible: these challenge us right into our heart, if we will let them!   And if we do - they affect how we think and - as a result - the priorities we have in our lives. 

Paul had been brought up a Pharisee and, at that stage in his life, was totally dedicated to keeping the Mosaic Law - as interpreted and practiced by the Pharisees.  His dramatic conversion on the road to Damascus turned his life right around - perhaps we should say - upside down!  There is quite a comparison today with anyone who turns from a totally worldly way of living - to become fully committed to Christ, but it is a long time since we were aware of anyone doing this, at least in Australia, today's world sweeps people along in a floodtide of interesting and often ‘exciting’ activities.  

How is this 'floodtide' affecting you? No one lives in a 'vacuum' - we feel impelled to live to quite a degree within the approval of our immediate associates, so we often compromise. But in this letter Paul makes a significant comment, followed by a question: "am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ." [Galatians 1:10]  And we also noted the blunt point Paul had just made; "If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed."  There should be only one church.

Having ourselves come to our understanding by our thorough and careful reading of Scripture and so learnt and understood the real original gospel message - it is now essential that we realize how we must follow the example of Paul in the motives we have in our daily living. 

How challenging is his declaration, "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. " [Galatians 2:20]  Can we say that?  The "I who live" now - is not the same as the ‘I who lived’ before we committed ourselves to Christ. Our conversion to live fully for Christ is a process - and what progress are we making?   Have you (and I) completed, or nearly completed the process -  so that we can say from our hearts". It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me."  

-------

- DC 

03 April 2015

Numbers 17; 18 

Proverbs 13 

Galatians 3; 4 

"UNTIL CHRIST IS FORMED IN YOU"

How is Christ formed in you and I?  Surely it means that we increasingly develop a Christ-like character: a Christ-like way of thinking and doing – and this becomes evident by what we prefer to read, talk about and, as a result, fill our lives – as much as possible – in doing. 

We are reading the very passionate letter Paul wrote to the Galatians about this. The believers there were being influenced by the Jews whose lives were controlled by the ritual of the laws given through Moses, they saw this as the pathway to salvation and they were influencing the Gentiles there - whom Paul had converted. 

We don’t have that kind of influence on us!   And while we can be thankful for that, we need to recognise we are faced with just as dangerous an influence – no, an even more dangerous influence - depending on where and in what circumstances we live.  This attracts us! It seeks to draw us back into the ways and values of the world which surrounds and threaten to ‘suffocate’ all that we think – and therefore – how we use our time. 

From a human point of view what an interesting, indeed, exciting world we live in, we can enjoy it, fill our minds with it every day, many of us even travel to faraway places! 

But the Apostle Paul had "anguish" of mind over what was influencing the believers in Galatia: he had played a major role in their conversion.  He reminds them, "Formerly, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to those that by nature are not gods.  But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God how can you..."? [Galatians 4:8-9] The Jewish law keepers were influencing them to "observe days and months and seasons and years!" [Galatians 4:10] 

The world has 'fun' in observing Easter at the moment - but it means nothing to them spiritually; it was originally established with a good but human motive, the same spirit as the Jews had in keeping their feast days.

Because of what he saw happening, Paul calls them "little children" and tells them, "I am again in the anguish of childbirth until Christ is formed in you!" [Galatians 4:19] 

How much has the true spirit of Christ been formed in us?  Is our Lord experiencing “anguish” as he sees is been drawn away from him? We must each answer this to ourselves individually - may it be a positive answer - only then - in the all-seeing eye of our Lord - will it be a "good" Friday for us.            

-------

- DC

04 April 2015

Numbers 19

Proverbs 14

Galatians 5; 6  

"WE OURSELVES EAGERLY WAIT FOR ..."

Today we completed reading Paul’s letter to the Galatians: yesterday we read Paul’s earnest exhortation to them to think more and more in a Christ-like way – indeed to develop the mind of Christ.  In his final 2 chapters Paul draws this message to a climax – including words of warning at the same time "You were running well," he writes, "Who hindered you from obeying the truth?" [Galatians 5:7]

We can be "running well" but then get side-tracked by hindrances!  There are many things that threaten to hinder us today. In Galatia the biggest threat came from those who wanted these Gentile converts to start keeping the law - with all its ritual observances. Paul is saying, in effect, have nothing to do with this, "A little leaven leavens the whole lump." [Galatians 5:9] 

Now that is a vital point, a principle we should have in our minds today!  There is a lot of "leaven" around that can start to undermine our efforts to become more and more like Christ.  Paul told the Philippians to "approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ." [Philippians 1:10] Let us take that as also being a message to us.  What are the “excellent” things we can approve today to help us to be “pure and blameless”? 

Let us focus our minds more and more on the future the Lord has prepared for us, so that we can say with Paul, "we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness." [Galatians 5:5].  Paul redirects the Galatians who had been influenced toward keeping the Law by saying, "the whole law is fulfilled in one word: ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’" [Galatians 5:14]   

He then tells them (and us) what is really important, "walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh." [Galatians 5:16]. Paul tells them to develop the "fruit of the Spirit"!  And what fruit can the Spirit develop in us as we "eagerly wait" for our faith to be turned to sight?  Paul says, " the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, self-control ..." [Galatians 5:22-23] Let us all develop more and more of  this fruit, meditating on each type and sharing it with each other, as “we … eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness."

-------

- DC

05 April 2015

Numbers 20; 21

Proverbs 15

Ephesians 1; 2 

"THE EYES OF THE LORD …”                                                                                       

Modern technology is making it possible for the authorities to have “eyes” in many places.  This enables them to sometimes identify and track down offenders – or issue publicity to achieve this.  In the Proverbs we see the same point is made.  Long before human technology came into being Solomon was conscious that “the eyes of the Lord are in every place keeping watch on the evil and on the good.” [Proverbs 15:3]

Man is only conscious of trying, usually unsuccessfully, to control the evil.  However, our Creator is equally conscious of the good and our Proverbs chapter goes on to state that “the LORD … loves him who pursues righteousness” [Proverbs 15:9]  In contrast, “the thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD, but gracious words are pure” [Proverbs 15:26] “The LORD is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the righteous” [Proverbs 15:29]

God’s attitude to godlessness has been demonstrated in our readings in Numbers which describe how so many of the people, unappreciative of their deliverance from slavery in Egypt and losing their awe of God’s presence with them, failed to develop faith and trust in God and in Moses. As a result, they perished in the wilderness.  Think what made these people “wicked” in the sight of God!  The Creator sees godlessness as no different from wickedness even though their fellow humans would see them as ‘decent’ people..

We read today how Paul calls upon the Ephesians to recognise “what is the immeasurable greatness of his (God’s) power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead” [Ephesians 1:19-20]  

It is impossible for us to fully understand “his power”, but, wonderfully, it is “toward us”!  We begin to see that just as God plotted out the pathways of Israel in the wilderness and gave them times of testing, so our Lord plots out our pathways.  Paul learnt this and we read his awesome point today, “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.” [Ephesians 2:10] How well are you and I walking?  As the world becomes an ever darker place, how vital it is to stay on the narrow way recognising daily that “the eyes of the Lord are in every place”.

-------

- DC

06 April 2015

Numbers 22; 23

Proverbs 16

Ephesians 3; 4  

"WITH ALL HUMILITY AND GENTLENESS"

There is virtually no ‘humility and gentleness’ in the world today but Paul urges those converted to the way of Christ at Ephesus (and of course – everywhere) to "walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called."  The main, and most essential part of doing this, says Paul, is to walk "with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love" [Ephesians 4:1-2] 

Patience is another essential ingredient in developing a Christ-like character.  We think of the patience Jesus had to have with his disciples on many occasions.  We need to be very diligent as we try to follow his example. We are surrounded by so many examples of attitudes of mind we must not follow; for example we turn from most TV character portrayals in disgust because of this. 

We now meditate on how applicable to life today in 2015 are the points Paul makes in Ephesians 4:17-19. "I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds.  They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them …. They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality ..."  

Now ponder Proverbs 16 which we read today! "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor ..." [Proverbs 16:18-19]  And then the next verses beautifully describe the spirit of "humility and gentleness" (The opposite to that of Balaam – we read today in Numbers!) 

We read, "Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good, and blessed is he who trusts in the LORD.  The wise of heart is called discerning ...  Good sense is a fountain of life to him who has it ... The heart of the wise makes his speech judicious...  Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body."  May our minds be filled with "sweetness" – if we do this will be shown by our speech today and every day.

-------

- DC

07 April 2015

Numbers 24; 25

Proverbs 17

Ephesians 5; 6  

“NOT … ABLE TO GO BEYOND …” 

All our chapters today are most meaningful and we could follow a dozen different lines of thought and draw resultant lessons. In Numbers we completed reading the drama of Balaam; he was a prophet, but not an Israelite.  He had some contact with Yahweh Israel’s LORD, but he also used “omens” [Numbers 24:1].  The LORD  forced him to speak words of blessing on Israel, instead of cursing them as Balak requested and was ready to reward him for so doing. 

We are fascinated by Balaam’s final words to Balak, a progenitor of at least part of the Arabs, that even if he should give him “his house full of silver and gold, I would not be able to go beyond the word of the LORD, to do either good or bad of my own will. What the LORD speaks, that will I speak'?" [Numbers 24:13]  We should willingly say this ourselves, diligently searching and comparing scripture with scripture to take sure we talk (and write) about God’s word truthfully. In the vision of "the latter days" Balaam is given, he sees "Israel doing valiantly." [Numbers 24:18].  

The Israelites make the mistake of living in the area for some time [Numbers 25:1] and foolishly some "began to whore with the daughters of Moab. These invited the people to the sacrifices of their gods, and the people ate and bowed down to their gods .... and the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel."  When we come to Numbers 31:16 we see that Balak followed "Balaam's advice, (and this) caused the people of Israel to act treacherously against the LORD." 

The time came when God caused Moses to act and not only Balak was killed,  but "Balaam also, the son of Beor, the one who practiced divination, was killed with the sword by the people of Israel among the rest of their slain." [Joshua 13:22]  Strong lessons for today as we live in the midst of a latter day 'Moab'. In our Proverbs 17 there are appropriate words, "... one with a dishonest tongue falls into calamity" but "whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding." [Proverbs 17:20,27] 

Finally, at the start of Ephesians 5 Paul addresses the believers "as beloved children" telling them to "walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.  But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you ..."  Let us live so that we continue to be "beloved children" feeding daily on God's word, making sure we are "not able to go beyond" the guidance it gives.

-------

- DC

08 April 2015

Numbers 26

Proverbs 18

Philippians 1; 2    

“SHINE AS LIGHTS IN THE WORLD”

As our world gets morally darker  - even to the point of virtual blackness in some areas, may we be becoming ever more dedicated to serving our Lord so that we "shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life."  This is a key point Paul makes in writing to the Philippians [Philippians 2:15-16] 

How can we shine as lights if we hide away from the world in some sense - we cannot; we have to speak of our values in life and what motivates us to hold them - and, especially, the peace of mind we experience as a result. Paul stresses, "let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ" that "I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel." [Philippians 1:27]

He adds , that they should "not (be) frightened in anything by your opponents."  Do we have opponents?  Could it be that we hide our "lights" because of them, or at least keep them dim? 

Paul tells the Philippians, and he tells us, to "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,  for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." [Philippians 2:12-13].

So as we seek ways to more effectively "shine as lights in the world" let us sense how God (and of course Christ) are working in us:  let us work harder in his vineyard. Witnessing is a personal responsibility, they did not have newspapers to advertise in and halls to invite people to in the 1st Century.  It may be the Lord's will that there is still a final ingathering of one or two near where we live or among whom we work – and, as we "shine as lights," our Lord may cause one or two to be attracted because they find no pleasure at all in the darkness.

Finally, look at the words God caused Isaiah to write, "Arise, shine, for your light has come, ... For behold, darkness shall cover the earth ... but the LORD will arise upon you, and his glory will be seen upon you." [isaiah 60:1-2]

-------

- DC

09 April 2015

Numbers 27

Proverbs 19

Philippians 3; 4  

“REJOICE IN THE LORD”

How is Paul expecting the believers at Philippi to act as he tells them, "Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord." [start of Philippians 3]?  This is surely very different to the kind of rejoicing we see around us, such as the frivolity and partying that took place at Eastertime. 

Paul reflects on his upbringing and his human prestige in being trained to be a Pharisee. What authority he achieved! But to the Philippians he declares, "whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord." [Philippians 3:7-8]

Our 21st Century world offers many of us great opportunities  and we can feel attracted to pursue them! If we do, how great the danger of having our thinking swamped by developing human ambitions?  Ponder this question! This had happened to Paul, he had attained a position of great prestige, but having done that, what was the nature of his resultant rejoicing? It was the opposite of the state of mind he now experienced, indeed he now counted all of the past "as loss".  

Let us take to heart his exhortation to the believers at Phillipi, "one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,  I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way..." [Philippians 3:13-15]   

Do you consider yourself to be mature?  Paul next encourages them to "hold true to what we have attained" making the point, "join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us" [Philippians 3:17] and then sadly tells them, "for many ... I ... tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ.  Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things."  The 'citizenship' of believers who do this is the here and now, this is the main 'reward' they are confident of – "but," says Paul, "our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body ..." [Philippians 3:20-21] and then we will fully and wonderfully "rejoice in the Lord."

-------

- DC 

10 April 2015

Numbers 28

Proverbs 20

John 1  

“GRACE UPON GRACE”

Today we began reading the Gospel of John.  The structure of the Gospel intrigues us. The first 18 verses do not describe any event.  One particular factor that intrigues - is how John uses the word 'charis' (translated as grace) but it does not occur anywhere else in his gospel. The marvel of God's grace was felt most of all by Paul and it became a special word to him, he uses it in about 100 times in all, it is in the prologue of all his letters,. And we notice too – that the very last words in the Bible are "The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen"

Luke uses it in his gospel, though sometimes it has been translated as "favour."  Luke also wrote Acts, and he uses it a lot, but he was a travelling companion with Paul at times, especially on his testing journey as a 'prisoner' to Rome.  Matthew and Mark do not use the word at all in their gospels, so how is it that John uses it 4 times in his introduction. Our theory is – that the 18 verse prologue was added last – before the Gospel, the last to be written, was circulated.

Ponder the picture of our Lord that John 'paints' in using this word in this first chapter!  " And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.... from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.  For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." [John 1:14,16,17] 

We have been reading of the Law given through Moses, a law for a nation; but believers, you and I, live through the grace of our Lord.  And how much do we need grace, the loving kindness and forgiveness of our Lord!   By our awareness of “his grace” we are encouraged to grow spiritually to become more and more like our Saviour and Lord.

Paul is the supreme example of this, he told the Corinthians, "by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain." [1 Corinthians 15:10]  "By the grace of God" – we are benefactors of his grace – let us each make sure it is "not in vain" toward us. May we each sense every day  how we are the benefactors of "grace upon grace" and commit ourselves to become more and more like our Saviour in the way we think and talk and act in this ungodly and graceless world.  

-------

- DC

11 April 2015

Numbers 29; 30

Proverbs 21

John 2; 3  

“... IS CONDEMNED ALREADY”

Today, we have one of the best known verses in the Bible in our reading in John 3.  But sometimes verses which are well known can lose their power to influence our thinking through over familiarity.  It is John 3:16 that is well known, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” 

We have sometimes deliberately misquoted this by leaving out the words, ‘not perish, but’ and those listening have usually struggled to think of what words we have omitted when we tell them we have omitted 3 words – and asked what they were!   Jesus is saying what the alternative is - if we fail to believe. 

The ESV footnote suggests a slightly different way of translating this verse from the Greek: “For this is how God loved the world …” See the point?  He “gave his only Son” to show his love – and the challenge to us is whether we will meaningfully respond to the awesomeness of the sacrifice that Jesus made on the Cross – for us.  How are we showing our reaction? Our humbled heartfelt appreciation?! 

We show whether we really believe in something – by what we do, by the difference it makes to our lives.  Consider carefully what John next writes, “Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.”  John then adds, “and people loved darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest their deeds should be exposed.” [John 3:18-20]  

The world today is overflowing with examples of this. We will read in John 8 that Jesus said, “whoever commits sin is a slave of sin” [John 8:34] and today the world is full of willing slaves, they are not necessarily evil in a bad sense, but no thought of God is in their minds. Looking back at today’s chapter we see that Jesus also said, “He who is of the earth belongs to the earth and speaks in an earthly way.” [John 3:31]    

There is no middle way, so let us make a greater effort to respond to the love of God in sending his Son into the world to light up the darkness. Let you and I realize more fully the ultimate meaningless of a life that lacks the eternal purpose and future that God offers to us. Notice our word “ultimate!  But if this life is all you desire, so be it, but realize, you are “condemned already” and your life will, in the future, be a forgotten event of history.  

-------

- DC

12 April 2015

Numbers 31

Proverbs 22

John 4  

"UNLESS YOU SEE SIGNS AND WONDERS ..."                                                                                       

What caused people to believe in Jesus?  When Jesus called disciples he did not attract them by performing miracles.  We saw in John 2 that his disciples were with him when he performed “the first of his signs” in Cana [John 2:2,12]. No doubt it added to their belief, but true belief cannot be based on seeing miracles. When his teaching became challenging and harder to understand as we will see in John 6, “many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him” [John 6:66] except for the twelve [John 6:67-68].

The comment of Jesus in today’s chapter, John 4,“unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe” [John 4:48]  has been a challenge ever since!  It makes us think deeply about the reasons we believe in Jesus.  It is sad that in the last hundred years or so Christianity has seen efforts to practice ‘miracles’ in order to stimulate belief and attract followers.  We recall years ago meeting one who had done this from her teenage years, but she had woken up to how meaningless it all was. One example of her disillusionment she said was that when ‘I started to read the gospels and saw how different were the ‘healings’ my husband and I were doing, such as when the same person came week after week for ‘healing’ of a bad shoulder.’ – our miracles were not real.

So we read today of Jesus saying, “the hour is coming and is now here, when the true worshippers will worship the father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.  God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” [John 4:23-24]  He was answering a Samaritan woman who had asked whether it was “this mountain (or) … Jerusalem … the place where people ought to worship” [John 4:20] Jesus answers by saying it is not the place you go to – it is your ATTITUDE in worship that matters.  On one occasion he told a parable about a Pharisee who went into the Temple to pray and condemned him because his prayer was self-centred, all about what he was doing in serving God [Luke 18:9] 

In today’s chapter we noted how Jesus said, “The hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshippers, will worship the father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.” [John 4:23].  Our worship must be true and sincere and from our heart, then it will become “a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” [John 4:14]  Is your “spring of water welling up”? 

-------

- DC

13 April 2015

Numbers 32

Proverbs 23

John 5 

"... HIS WORD ABIDING IN YOU ..."?

Today we began reading the detailed teaching of Jesus that is special to the Gospel of John.  Jesus is teaching in Jerusalem, it is "a feast of the Jews" and he tells them, "The Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me" but "you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe the one whom he has sent." [John 5:37-38] 

We can read God's word - but we need to absorb it into our minds so it "abides" in us, influencing the way we think and therefore how we talk and act. Jesus challenges them, "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me" [John 5:39]  By the Scriptures he means the Old Testament, but they have the wrong motive in their searching.  For centuries many have searched trying to find evidence somewhere in the Bible that they have an 'immortal soul' - but that phrase is not to be found anywhere in Scripture. 

May we all read so that "his word" is "abiding in us" - reading so that we develop a relationship with God - a heartfelt love for God and his Son - and then we will correctly understand and believe his promise, "whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life." [John 5:24] 

What does this mean, we are going to die, aren’t we, unless we are alive when Jesus returns and are accepted into his kingdom?  (see 1 Corinthians 15:51-55)  All those who heard Jesus eventually died, but those who really believed his words and were baptised into his name are in a special category, recall what we read last Thursday, Paul's words about "my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life." [Philippians 4:3]  

In almost the last chapter in the Bible we are told that " if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire" which symbolizes  "the second death" [Revelation 20:12,15] Let us so read God's word that "his word is abiding in" us, influencing our thoughts and actions day after day, ensuring that our “names are in the book of life” and stay there – and how soon now before God opens it! 

-------

- DC

14 April 2015

Numbers 33

Proverbs 24

John 6 

"THIS IS THE WORK OF GOD, THAT YOU BELIEVE ..."

Do you believe?  Believe in what?  What causes your belief?  Fear?  If someone says there's a fire in the kitchen, you act instantly!  Our meditations followed this track as we read the challenging words of Jesus in today's 6th chapter of John. 

After the amazement of the people in seeing the multiplying of "five barley loaves and two fish" [John 6:6-11] to feed thousands of people, as many as could "got into boats seeking Jesus" [John 6:24].  When they find him, they are told by Jesus, "you are seeking me ... because you ate your fill of the loaves." [John 6:26]  He next makes a most significant and challenging statement," Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you."  What "food" is this? 

Are we sure we truly understand what he means? They ask him, ""What must we do, to be doing the works of God?" [John 6:28]  They want to be able to do such things too! This is their ambition, their expected reward for believing in Jesus. They comment [John 6:31] on the miraculous provision of food in the wilderness, John 6:31; sadly their minds cannot think beyond material blessings, this is their expected reward for believing.

There is no quality to their belief. The reply of Jesus is beyond their understanding, it must not be beyond ours, “"This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent." We note the phrase “in him” – not just about him.

In John 6:35-38 we find some of the most meaningful things Jesus ever said, but how few grasped their full significance - then - and now! Jesus is "the bread of life" [John 6:48] he provides the essential food - for our minds. His words climax in John 6:56-58,  ".... and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me ...  will live because of me ... Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever." Such feeding is the result of true belief.

"After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him." [John 6:64-66]  Jesus asks the twelve, "Do you want to go away as well?" Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life,  and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God." [John 6:67-69]  Have we "come to know"?  This is much more than saying, "we believe." 

Finally, ponder deeply on John's declaration at the end of his first letter. "...we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ."

-------

- DC

15 April 2015

Numbers 34

Proverbs 25

John 7 

"AS THE SCRIPTURE HAS SAID"

The Gospel of John opens out for us today (in John 7) to reveal more fully the huge challenge that the presence and teachings of Jesus were creating among the people. It is interesting to compare all the reasons the disbelievers were giving with the reasons given today.  The leaders were holding themselves up as examples of wisdom - human wisdom - accusing those who believed in Jesus as being deceived [John 7:47]. 

There is some comparison in this with those who believe God 'created' the world using evolution!  Such explain away the Bible testimonies to the creative work of God.

It is the feast of Booths (Tabernacles) which everyone who could, participated in, by going up to Jerusalem and the Temple. Many are looking for Jesus, but he does not go there until, "about the middle of the feast" [John 7:14] His teaching causes much discussion and an attempt to arrest him [John 7:32] fails.

"On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" [John 7:37-38]: see Isaiah 58:11.  Jesus makes a promise that "those who believe in him" [John 7:39] would receive "the Spirit", but that was not to happen until Jesus was "glorified" [John 7:39]. We will read of this later this month, when the disciples receive it. [Acts 2]

The Scriptures Jesus refers to are, of course, the Old Testament.  It is sad that so many neglect the Old Testament, yet it is full of God given wisdom, the Proverbs of Solomon for example such as Proverbs 25 we also read today.  Solomon’s wisdom was a foretaste of that of Jesus and today we eagerly await the ultimate time when God will "take away the wicked from the presence of the king, and his throne will be established in righteousness." [Proverbs 25:5]   

This ultimate time will be when Jesus returns "as the Scripture has said" – and what a great number of Scriptures testify to this. Peter wrote how “scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires.  They will say, ‘Where is the promise of his coming?’ ”  [2 Peter 3:4] Those who know what “the Scripture has said”  have a sure answer for the scoffers.  

-------

- DC

16 April 2015

Numbers 35

Proverbs 26

John 8 

"... HE WILL NEVER TASTE DEATH"

In our readings we have now reached the profound statements of Jesus that John alone records – but John was “the disciple whom Jesus loved” [John 21:7,20] and with whom he had a special relationship.  He was the only one to stand by the cross, together with his mother and 2 other faithful women [John 19:25-27]; we notice that John never names himself. 

John records the sayings of Jesus in far more detail – he brings out the difference between dying (eternally) and to “have fallen asleep” [1 Corinthians 15:6,18,20]  On Saturday we will read the intensely moving account of the raising of Lazarus after being dead four days:  Jesus at first confused his disciples by telling them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep” [John 11:11]  

Back in today’s chapter we have the inspiring, but challenging promise of Jesus, “'If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.” [John 8:51].  The Jews, jealous of his popularity did not understand, let us make sure we understand.  Jesus told them, “You are of this world; I am not of this world” [John 8:23].    All around us are those who “are of this world.”  Their ambitions in life are focussed on the here and now – and they will taste death – eternal death!

Jesus had a wonderful and intimate relationship with his Father. He told them, “he who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him." [John 8:29] Let us so live, that we can say the same – and then we “will never taste death.”

-------

- DC

17 April 2015

Numbers 36

Proverbs 27

John 9; 10  

“… AND FIND PASTURE” 

What is pasture?  If you are a farmer you will know!  Good pasture land is essential - on it his sheep and cattle can graze and be become really healthy. Is there any good pasture around today? On what sort of things are people feeding their minds? Sadly, nearly all of it is chaff!

Today we read the wonderful picture Jesus paints of himself as “the good shepherd” – and how those who ‘follow’ him ‘know his voice’ and “will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.” [John 10:4,9]  Do we find this ‘picture’ a little too simple?  Or, do we know it too well?  Can we know things so well that we take them for granted?

As Jesus enlarges his word picture he starts to ‘paint’ some serious negative elements!  Applied to today’s world, the negative elements are numerous and it seems to us they are greater than ever before.  Sheep who really know the voice of the good shepherd “will not follow” these, instead “they flee from” them. [John 10:5]

Have you and I done any fleeing?  Jesus says there are “thieves and robbers” around “but the sheep do not listen to them.” [John 10:8] Our world today is full of distractions inviting us to listen, look, read and, most of all, follow – to where there is no pasture land. 

It is increasingly vital that we listen to the good shepherd more than ever, diligently reading his word, filling our heart with the ‘sound’ of his voice, “and find pasture.”    

-------

- DC

18 April 2015

Deuteronomy 1

Proverbs 28

John 11 

"DO YOU BELIEVE THIS?"

Who asked, “Do you believe this?”  Jesus, of course. And to whom did he address this question?  He addressed the question to Martha who came to him at Bethany 4 days after her brother Lazarus had died.  And what was she challenged to believe?  Jesus had said to her, "Your brother shall rise again?" [John 11:23]  And what did she answer? "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day."  And how did Jesus respond? "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?" [John 11:25-26]

Do we believe this?  What does Jesus mean, "shall never die"?  Surely he means, die eternally!  It is significant that Jesus earlier told his disciples, " "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go to awaken him." [John 11:11] and they did not understand that he had actually died!

Paul writes of believers who die as having "fallen asleep" [1 Thessalonians 4:14] and says those "who are alive (at his coming) will be caught up … in the clouds to meet the Lord ... and so we will always be with the Lord." [1 Thessalonians 4:17] And where will the Lord be? A song will be sung to Jesus, we read this in  Revelations,  "by your blood you ransomed people for God ... and you made them a kingdom of priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth." [Revelation 5:9-10]

We might feel inclined to ask, as Nicodemus did, "How can these things be?" [John 3:9] and struggle to grasp the reality of the Lord's answer.  Lazarus was dead for 4 days and then brought back to life - but he would ultimately have died again, like all who heard Jesus then.  All their bodies have long since moulded into dust. Is the coming resurrection ­ of how many - totally beyond our comprehension?"

Remember, how Peter told his readers, "do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." [2 Peter 3:8]  Think of how God must have reached back through time to bring Moses and Elijah to the mount of transfiguration.  The coming day of resurrection will be one of the greatest miracles ever performed by the Creator of all things. 

Remember what Mary was told! "For nothing will be impossible with God." [Luke 1:37]  Mary believed - and so must we!  And how firm and strong will our belief need to be!  We must answer with the strongest possible degree of faith "Do you believe this?" as this present world starts to really fall apart.

-------

- DC

19 April 2015

Deuteronomy 2

Proverbs 29

John 12 

“GOING AWAY AND BELIEVING …”

We read yesterday of the incredible drama of the raising of Lazarus to life again.  Their reaction to this event was the ultimate challenge to everyone!  It produced opposite reactions – just like there are opposite reactions today to belief in Christ and God. In today’s readings we see the outworking of those reactions!  

Following the news of Lazarus coming out of the tomb, alive after being dead 4 days, there is a big council meeting of Jewish leaders, this even includes “the chief priests.” They put blindfolds on their minds as to the wonder of what had happened, instead they said, “What are we to do?  For this man performs many signs.  If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation” [John 11:47-48].

Amazing!  No denying that it happened. Tragically they had a total obsession with their own position and importance.  Today it is the same, just about everyone is totally self-centred.  Is this spirit affecting you and I?

There is a plot to kill Lazarus!  “The chief Priests made plans to put Lazarus to death because, on account of him, many of the Jews were going away and believing in Jesus” [John 12:10].  Later in the chapter we read, “many of the authorities believed in him but for fear of the Pharisees did not confess it, so that they would not be put out of the synagogue for they loved the glory that comes from man …" [John 12:42-43].

Today there is a renewed attack (in the Western world) on anything to do with believing there is a God, a Creator of any kind! Believers are again open to ridicule. Academics, who are confident they have the answer (or at least acceptable opinions) to everything about how the world began, compete among themselves for the “glory” they can receive from each other and from the public with their notions.

Note what John 12:48 records of Jesus’ words, “The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.” Words of Jesus that prompt our deepest meditation!  We will be held accountable for our reaction to what we read in God’s word.   How carefully and prayerfully we should read to make sure we understand it, so that we are “going away and believing,” acting and speaking in ways which show we do - as we travel along the pathways of life each day. 

-------

- DC

20 April 2015

Deuteronomy 3

Proverbs 30

John 13; 14 

"YOU ARE MY DISCIPLES IF ..."

Today we began reading what might be seen as the 'Bible School' Jesus gave to his disciples in the hours before his arrest.  It begins at John 13:31 through to the end of chapter 17 with his impassioned prayer to his father which John at least heard - or it was later revealed to him. We feel awed by John's most intimate and heart moving account of the words of the Son of God. 

True disciples blend and team together in the service of their Saviour:  Jesus said to them, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." [John 13:34-35]

John 14 begins, "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God..."   Their hearts were going to be overwhelmed by the events of the hours that lay ahead.  Some of us ponder what must lay ahead for our world and the coming time of "great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be.  And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short." [Matthew 24:21-22]  The Jews had a foretaste of this when Jerusalem was destroyed in AD 70, soon it will be the Gentiles turn.

The word 'love' is commonly used - and abused - in our world today, but we must let our minds grasp the full meaning of Jesus as he told his disciples, "Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him." [John 14:21] He is asked, "Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?" and Jesus answers, ""If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me." [John 14:22-24]  How well are we keeping his word?   Another word Jesus highlights is "Peace" - let's meditate on the context in which he uses it. He tells them, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." [John 14:27]  Let us seek to gain that quality of peace, a genuine peace of mind  as we live lives that show in an ever greater degree that Jesus was speaking to us when he said, "you are my disciples" because we "have love for one another."  Tomorrow we will read, “"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.” [John 15:12]

-------

- DC

21 April 2015

Deuteronomy 4

Proverbs 31

John 15; 16  

"WATCH YOURSELVES VERY CAREFULLY"

Today we have a remarkable set of meaningful readings.  In Deuteronomy Moses commences his final exhortation to his nation; in Proverbs, the final chapter is taken to be an exhortation from the mother of Solomon (Bathsheba), a message that at the end of his life, he failed to follow. 

In John, we have now reached the point in his gospel where he records in detail the intense personal encouragement Jesus gave to his disciples before his arrest.  He tells them, “I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away ...." [John 15:5-6]   The wonder of this abiding (living) is that it functions both ways!  Let us all meditate on this! 

The message of Moses is rather similar, illustrating that the Divine challenge to human beings to overcome their lower nature - is by making sure they come closer to their Maker - and stay there!  This message is the same throughout Scripture.  Moses tells them, "take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart .... Make them known to your children and your children's children" [Deuteronomy 4:9]

Our world is presently doing a lot of reminiscing about the Anzacs - but we ourselves can and should say, "Lest we forget" on our spiritual wavelength!  Or could it be that the ‘batteries’ in our spiritual radio have not been kept plugged in? Note what Moses goes on to say, "watch yourselves very carefully ... beware lest you act corruptly ..." [Deuteronomy 4:15-16] They are going to be surrounded by idol-worshippers! Different kinds of idols attract us today!  

Sadly many of the children and descendants of those who entered the promised land did act corruptly. Then, to our surprise and wonder, Moses is inspired to look way into the future and speak about that!  "When you are in tribulation, and all these things come upon you in the latter days, you will return to the LORD your God and obey his voice. For the LORD your God is a merciful God. He will not ... forget the covenant with your fathers that he swore to them." [Deuteronomy 4:30-31]

May we all "watch ourselves very carefully" especially as it is increasingly clear we live "in the latter days" as we watch the events in and surrounding God’s holy land and the miracle that his people have returned there. How soon now Lord?

-------

- DC

22 April 2015

Deuteronomy 5

Ecclesiastes 1

John 17; 18 

"THAT THE WORLD MAY KNOW"

What does the world "know"?  One answer is - a great multitude of things! But nearly all of those things are of no lasting significance. We started reading Ecclesiastes today and Solomon is lamenting that all life is only "vanity" - meaning a 'mist' which has no substance, it simply fades away.  He is nearing the end of his life and his vision and relationship with God has faded - so much so that he can write, "It is an unhappy business that God has given to the children of man to be busy with ... all is vanity and a striving after wind." [Ecclesiastes 1:13-14]

In total contrast we see in John's gospel a wonderful intimate account of his Lord and Master's prayer in John 17; this is immediately before his arrest. And what perplexity followed!   However, Jesus is command of the situation , but no one seems to realize this - except, perhaps, Pilate!

In the events that unfolded everything seemed to be dysfunctional - just like our world today!  But those who know God's word today see that God's plan and purpose with is nearing its completion. The words of Jesus challenge us to think through them to fully grasp their sense: a wonderful unity of mind awaits us if we can do this.

Jesus prays for his disciples whom his is sending "into the world" and "also for those who will believe in me through their word ..." [John 17:18,20] We notice what he is particularly praying for, "that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us" [John 17:21]  

The real nature of this one-ness is very clear - unity of mind - creating for us, a unity of vision of the plan and purpose of God. And now we must note the wondrous climax of this part of our Lord's petition to his Father! "I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me." [John 17:23] This surely also applies to all “those who will believe” in Jesus “through their word.”

So few in "the world" today "know" this: it is a perception in our hearts, let us make sure that we "know" it.  Jesus further says, "O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me." [John 17:25]  May we be among those who “know” - and show that we do by all that we think, say and do, today and every day until our faith is turned to sight.   And how wonderful our lives will then become!

-------

- DC

23 April 2015

Deuteronomy 6; 7

Ecclesiastes 2

John 19 

“TO THE ONE WHO PLEASES HIM”

We have 3 really thought provoking readings today. In Deuteronomy Moses continues his powerful exhortation to the Israelites as they prepare to enter the promised land - without him.  

John's account reaches the climax of the mortal life of Jesus, John is there right until the end, he stood by the cross with Mary and others [John 19:26].  He earlier described the dilemma Pilate faced, who, knowing Jesus was innocent and although he was in a position of ultimate authority, in the end took the easy way out.  A lesson in this for us!  Few, if any of us are in powerful positions, but most have some responsibility and authority in their sphere of work.  Are there times when we take the easy way out in making decisions? Maybe we justify them as having some value, but if principles are involved, let us beware.

In continuing to read Ecclesiastes we see the comparison and contrast between Pilate and Solomon, yet Solomon lacks the eternal vision of David his father - yet he writes many wise things. Some of the points he makes describe the way many people think today. "There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil."  [Ecclesiastes 2:24]

Then he looks deeper into the purpose of God, ".....to the one who pleases him God has given wisdom and knowledge and joy" [Ecclesiastes 2:26]  But human wisdom has led many, especially in this country, to believe there is no God, that they and everything has just evolved!  What we will read in Ecclesiastes 3:18 seems relevant here; Solomon writes, "I said in my heart with regard to the children of man that God is testing them that they may see that they themselves are but beasts." 

This applies to "the children of man" - but what of those who are not content with this limited vision of their lives?  David made a powerful point in Psalm 14:2 (and repeated it in Psalm 53:2) "The LORD looks down from heaven on the children of man, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God."

Finally, let us feel inspired by what the disciple who stood by the cross was to later write! "Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is." [1 John 3:2] "The one who pleases him", that is God, uses the "wisdom and knowledge" God and his Son have given them to make sure they "are God's children now.

-------

- DC

24 April 2015

Deuteronomy 8; 9

Ecclesiastes 3

John 20; 21 

“… AND YET HAVE BELIEVED”

Today we read the final two chapters of John's gospel. It is a heart moving - an inspiring - a faith building - testimony.  We might marvel that they are so "slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken" [Luke 24:25] and that Jesus is alive again - but would you and I have been any different?  He had told them several times during his ministry that he was going to be killed and the third day rise again, e.g. Matthew 16:21; 17:23; 20:19. They could not grasp the reality of his words. 

We should ponder this ourselves, how many times have we read that Jesus is going to return - we "believe" in this - yet what is the quality, the reality of our belief?  The event is beyond our ability to fully imagine.  How much will our belief, our faith, our convictions be challenged, as events start to unfold!?  Christ is at the door, but all around us life is in chaos and hearts are “failing for fear” - and we are being swept along by it!  Heart searching at that time!  Are we sure we are among the elect the angels are, we pray, about to gather?

Ponder the mind and experience of Thomas, he had not been present when Jesus first revealed himself to the other disciples as their risen lord. When they told him, "We have seen the Lord ... he said to them, "Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe." [John 20:25]

We imagine, that with most of the others, he had stood at a distance - in broken hearted dismay - watching the crucifixion. It was "eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe." [John 20:26-27]  Thomas proclaimed his belief!  But Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." [John 20:29]

Our belief today is  the combined effect of intellectual perceptions of the events testified in Scripture and secular history and the wonder of Divine prophecy: these, added together, give fullness of real meaning to our lives,  Yet we must build upon these perceptions and depths of conviction so that our faith will not falter when today's world is falling apart, and people are “fainting with fear and with foreboding ….” [Luke 21:26] Peter's words come to mind!  "Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith" [1 Peter 1:8-9] and, as a result,  we can truly say in that day "and yet we have believed."  

-------

- DC

25 April 2015

Deuteronomy 10; 11 

Ecclesiastes 4 

Acts 1 

"A BLESSING AND A CURSE"

We continue to read Moses' final message - a wondrous exhortation - to the tribes of Israel - before he died and they entered the promised land without him. These chapters in Deuteronomy have a powerful message.  Much of what Moses says to them we can take to ourselves; "see," he says to them, "I am setting before you today a blessing and a curse:  the blessing, if you obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you today ..." [Deuteronomy 11:26-27]

Earlier in the chapter we read Moses’ appeal to them (and to us); "You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul  …. You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise...." [Deuteronomy 11:18-19]

How much teaching do parents give to their children these days?  These parents had no Bible to put in their hands, but maybe that was a good thing!  Teaching is a personal responsibility - it is evading that responsibility to do no more than give them ‘good’ books to read and send them to Sunday school to listen to a lesson for 40 minutes or so some 30-35 weeks each year; the world around them presses in on their minds –so intensely – these days. 

Moses told the people, " if you will be careful to do all this commandment that I command you to do, loving the LORD your God, walking in all his ways, and holding fast to him, then the LORD will" [Deuteronomy 11:22-23] bless you so you inherit the promised land.  We, ourselves must first teach ourselves from God's words, messages such as this one - for 'the promised land' - the kingdom of God -  is surely just over the horizon.  Having taught ourselves we must teach any children we have - and others we can influence.  The saying is that 'actions speak louder than words' - but words and actions together speak louder still.  "A blessing" or "a curse" lie before us!  Which have you chosen - or are on the point of choosing?  There is no middle way.    

-------

- DC