TFTD - November 2014

Resource Manager

26 November 2014

"Let us pray, and trust, and walk by His guidance until that day when it shall be sung, "Awake and sing, you that dwell in dust: for your dew is like the dew of herbs" (Isaiah 26:19); that day when a concourse mightier, far vaster, than this great concourse will be like the dew of Hermon, each drop by God’s mercy reflecting the brightness and warmth of that "Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in his wings" (Malachi 4:2), and when we shall be satisfied, awaking, by His mercy, with His likeness."

- H.A. Twelves

New Every Morning (1965)

27 November 2014

"In God’s son ... is deposited the security of peace; eventually, for the whole world. And when this is realised the temporary aspect of the Divine character will cease. Truth and righteousness will have triumphed over that antagonism which has arisen like storm clouds upon the horizon of life, and spread like a thick mantle over the ocean of human experience.

And God will be all, and in all."

- J.E. Jarvis

The Love of God (1931)

28 November 2014

"... God's “thoughts” are far from universally accepted. His voice has been for so long silent that both His purposes and the way by which He will bring them to pass have been lost sight of. The very practical nature of the promises is ignored or rejected. The Hope of Israel is not understood. Yet the language could not be plainer than that employed by the prophets concerning God's special care for His land and people. “My land” and “my people,” He describes them. Yet nations cast longing eyes on the land and persecute the people.

A change is coming, to be introduced by the year of recompense for the controversy of Zion. Wherefore God says, “I am jealous for Jerusalem and for Zion with great jealousy. And I am very sore displeased with the heathen that are at ease: for I was but a little displeased, and they helped forward the affliction. Therefore thus saith the Lord; I am returned to Jerusalem with mercies; my house shall be built in it, saith the Lord of hosts, and a line shall be stretched forth upon Jerusalem.” (Zechariah 1:14-16)"

- John Carter 

Prophets after the Exile

29 November 2014

"If only the goodman of the house had known—yes, indeed, if only. But the trouble is that burglars are not given to making appointments. Their advantage consists mainly in the fact that their visits are unannounced and unexpected. After they have left, sometimes “if only” becomes the theme of many sad reflections. If only we had strengthened the locks like the man said. If only we had checked the windows before we left. If only we had hidden the key more thoughtfully. All down the ages, “if only” has been the cry of the unprepared and the uncareful."

- Dennis Gillett

Little Words, Big Meanings—If (1991)

30 November 2014

"You open your hand, and satisfy the desire of every living thing." (Psalm 145:16). This aptly represents the work of God throughout all ages, culminating in the stretching out of His hands to us through the giving of His only begotten Son; and in turn Jesus stretched out his hands on the cross, the ultimate declaration of God’s love to man. The only time when the hands of Jesus did not reach out in compassion with the touch of love was when his work was suspended in the grave for three days."

- A.D. Nightingale

Hands Stretched out to God (1999)