Texas Memoirs

Texas Memoirs

George Booker

From 12 posts to Ecclesia Discuss, June 2004 

Example:

Part 1 – Roots

One of my great-grandmothers, Jane Booker, died in childbirth when my grandfather, Thomas Jefferson Booker, was born in 1861.

Her husband, my great-grandfather, Isaac Wise Booker, enlisted in the 43rd Mississippi Infantry and died in the Civil War, in 1862. He was 32. He left behind two small orphan sons, who were raised by their grandparents. When they were grown, they came to Texas in 1881.

My grandfather married, had six children (including my father, born in 1908), was a farmer and a railroad worker. About 1910, he lost his farm (due most likely to bad harvests), and was a sharecropper for many years afterward, working other people’s land. It was during this time that he and his wife learned the Truth – probably from the traveling preacher AH Zilmer – and were baptized as Christadelphians.

Due to family financial reverses, and hard times in general, my father, Eldon Booker, had to quit school at the age of 14. He went to work picking cotton and doing other odd jobs (for about $1 a day), all to help support his family. He never returned to school, and worked hard the rest of his life.

When World War II came, Eldon was drafted, but being a Christadelphian and conscientiously opposed to war, he asked to serve in the medical corps. (Living in west Texas far from any ecclesia, he had no guidance to avoid military service altogether; so he took the only course he thought was open to him.) After more than three years in England, he returned home – still in uniform – where he was refused fellowship at his former Christadelphian meeting. For some years he did not attend any meetings, until much later in life he once again became a member of a Christadelphian ecclesia.

Comment: With permission

TexasMemoirsBooker.pdf