TFTD - December 2013

Resource Manager

26 December 2013

"The wise man says that "a word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." (Proverbs 25:11) It is supposed that the reference is to the orange which some­times bears two crops in the year. As the first crop is ripening, the second is in full bloom and the “golden apples” life-giving and beautiful in themselves are seen in a perfect setting of silver bloom. It is said to be one of the most beautiful sights in nature, and it is the simile chosen for a fitly spoken word."

- I. Collyer
Thought and Words (1931)

27 December 2013 

"Christ was able to see the end of the mission: able to discern the shape of the Cross looming on the horizon. Fortunately for us, the distant scene is hidden; we know not what sacrifices, small or great, will be required of us. But we do know that the same kind of life is required: the same vision, the same outlook, the same sense of vocation and dedication, the same recognition that our lives are just not ours to do what we like with; the same conscious direction of our wills along paths that are certain sometimes to be irksome. We have to pass the same three milestones that Christ knew; Perception, Persistence, Perfection."

- Cyril Cooper
Consider Him! (1959)

28 December 2013

"His servants shall serve Him with perfectly reciprocated love, and they shall see His face. Not His kind face, not His forgiving face, because every one of those adjectives would suggest the need for these virtues, and that need will have ceased. Perfect love will have cast out all fear: in Christ all will have been forgiven, and though love continues to be the essence of the everlasting ages, there will be no need for a forgiving love. "They shall see his face, and his name shall be in their foreheads." (Revelation 22:4)"

- H.A. Twelves
Seeing the Lord (1949)

29 December 2013

"Beyond all doubt it is the teaching of Scripture that the true life is at every point and every stage God’s gift. It is receivable through faith, and faith in the Biblical sense is only possible in that which can be trusted as true. A man may say “I believe” and mean no more than “I hold it as an opinion”. In the Scriptural sense “I believe” means “I put my whole life in trust in the conviction that this is true”. Biblical faith is not a leap in the dark; it is a coming to the light."

- L.G. Sargent
A Sound Mind

30 December 2013

"He was touched with the feeling of our infirmities; in all points tempted like as we are, in this way only could he become a merciful and faithful high priest. By his own experiences alone could he be compassionate toward everyone of us, and be able to succour us in our temptations. If we could take the sum of our individual difficulties, if we could bring together in one man’s experience all our many and varied trials, our fears, our griefs, we might then begin to understand the burden Jesus carried and wonder anew at the things which he suffered in bringing many sons to glory."

- C.E. Bennett
Like Unto His Brethren (1957)

31 December 2013

"Walking with Jesus, not stumbling along behind him. “I am my beloved’s, and my beloved is mine” (Song 6:3). Let us each try to rise above this mundane world and contemplate the wonder of the prospect. Clothed with immortality, not because we have deserved it, but because we have faithfully kept our garments, the garments of salvation."

- John V. Collyer
The Bride’s Trousseau (1984)