TFTD - November 2013

Resource Manager

26 November 2013

"The present flies swift as an arrow; the past stands ever still." This swiftly flying present alone is ours, to prepare for an abiding future. We are prepared by taking heed to the counsel of the Word of God, by which alone we can prepare. And so doing, we are not guided by any caprice. We do not wish to abbreviate the scriptures, we will neither add to nor take from them; we will follow the counsel of a chosen vessel of Christ, who said, "Whatsoever things were written aforetime, were written for our learning; that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope."

- C.C. Walker
Exhort One Another (1931)

27 November 2013

"I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd layeth down his life for the sheep ... I am the good shepherd; and I know mine own, and mine own know me". There is something very intimate in these sayings and their implication. Jesus carried out his part; he laid down his life for his sheep. It is for his sheep to do their part. We may bring ourselves to a test on this point by asking ourselves a few questions. Are our ears attuned to catch his words? Are we prepared to follow him whithersoever he may lead us? Are we prepared to follow his steps?"

- W.H. Boulton
Reflections (1956)

28 November 2013

"To present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight; if you continue in the faith grounded and settled and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you have heard." This is the masterpiece; it is a perpetual ministry. The New Testament writer insists that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and for ever. He is susceptible. He knows our plight. The essential quality of his hopefulness is compassion for the undone; love set on men in the midst of their ruin. It is not a love which excuses wrong doing. It seeks to end the wrong doing and save the wrong doer. The writer to the Hebrews says, "He will save to the uttermost".

- G.D. Gillett
The Hopefulness of the Truth (1971)

29 November 2013

"One marvels as much at the exercise of God’s forbearance as one does at the exhibition of God’s mercy. Very often there does not appear to be any adequate reason why God should exercise either forbearance or mercy, but He does—for which we all have cause for thankfulness."

- James Carter
Mercy Rejoiceth Against Judgment (1969)