TFTBR - June 2013

Resource Manager

26 June 2013

1 Samuel 5; 6
Isaiah 51
Revelation 12; 13  

“YOU WHO PURSUE RIGHTEOUSNESS”  

Our Isaiah chapter [isaiah 51] starts with a challenge!  It was a challenge to the people of the nation at that time: he lived through the reign of 4 different kings (see Isaiah 1:1) and Ahaz especially did not live righteously.  We read today, “Listen to me you who pursue righteousness, you who seek the Lord …” [isaiah 51:1] But how successful were they in pursuing righteousness?  What is meant by ‘pursue’?  In the Hebrew language Isaiah first uses the word in his first chapter, “Everyone loves a bribe and runs after gifts.” [isaiah 51:23]  Interesting! How urgent is our desire to “run after” righteous living?

Remember – the chapter started – “Listen to me!”  We cannot succeed in our pursuit of righteousness unless we are listening!  Today, that surely means reading!  But how do we read?  What is our motive in reading? Is it to acquire ‘head knowledge’ to become intellectually clever in knowing about God and all the information in His word?

In Isaiah 51:2 we read, “Look to Abraham your father … I called him that I might bless him.”  Look to the example of Abraham, his faith in God, his commitment in carrying out God’s will.  Bring to mind the lesson drawn in Hebrews 11 (from verse 8) where he is used as a great example of a man of active faith in his determination to serve the true God.

As our world is led more and more by those who have no knowledge of God, some who do not even acknowledge that he exists, the words we read today are an appropriate warning, “My righteousness draws near … lift up your eyes … the earth will wear out like a garment, and they who dwell in it will die in like manner; but my salvation will be forever; and my righteousness will never be dismayed.” [isaiah 51:5-6]

The next verse says, “Listen to me you who know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear not the reproach of man … my righteousness will, be forever, and my salvation to all generations.”

May we all have such clearness of vision in our hearts that we “pursue righteousness” so that Isaiah 51:11 is true for us, “the ransomed of the LORD shall return and come to Zion with singing; everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.”  
-------
- DC

27 June 2013

1 Samuel 7; 8
Isaiah 52
Revelation 14

“GOOD NEWS OF HAPPINESS”

The nature of present human happiness and its causes is very different to the “good news of happiness” that God will bring about – as we read in Isaiah today. But first we read the lament by the LORD, “all the day my name is despised” [isaiah 52:5] followed by the declaration, “Therefore in that day they shall know that it is I who speak” [isaiah 52:6] – then we read prophetic words that obviously apply to the transformation of life “in that day” after the dramas at the return of Christ.

Isaiah 52:7 tells us, “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, ‘Your God reigns.’”  

Jesus will reign for God, “but then comes the end” writes Paul, “when he delivers the kingdom to God … then the Son himself will be subjected to him … that God may be all in all.” [1 Corinthians 15:24-28].  On Monday in Revelation 21 we will read John’s vision of the ultimate time when “the dwelling place of God is with man … God himself will be with them as their God … for the former things have passed away.” [Revelation 21:3-4]

Returning to Isaiah’s chapter, see the nature of the happiness that is portrayed to happen “in that day”!  They “sing for joy (they) break forth together into singing … for the LORD has comforted his people; he has redeemed Jerusalem.  The LORD has bared his holy arm (Christ) before the eyes of all nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.” [isaiah 52:9-10]  Let us take comfort from God’s words.

Finally, note how the next chapter starts, “Who has believed what they heard from us?” Well, who has? We prove what we believe by the reality of the faith we have in our hearts and how we live our lives.
-------
- DC

28 June 2013

1 Samuel 9
Isaiah 53
Revelation 15; 16

“IT IS DONE”

There is only one place in the Bible that uses the word ‘Armageddon’ - it is in our reading today [Revelation 16]. It occurs at the climax of the pouring “out on the earth of the seven bowls of the wrath of God” [Revelation 16:1] It is the outpouring of the last two bowls that attract our particular attention.

As the final bowl is being poured out, “a loud voice” proclaims “It is done!” [Revelation 16:17] There are “flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder; and a great earthquake … and the cities of the nations fell” [Revelation 16:18-19] This follows the act of pouring out the sixth bowl when “The kings of the whole world …assemble … for battle on the great day of God Almighty.” [Revelation 16:14]

“Three unclean spirits like frogs … go abroad to the kings of the whole world” to assemble them for this battle … they assembled them at the place that in Hebrew is called Armageddon.” [Revelation 16:16] The plain of Megiddo in central Israel has seen many battles in the past, it seems in is the main scene of the final great conflict (a huge United Nations sponsored force?) leading to God’s declaration “It is done”..

What are these “unclean spirits”? We think of them as human attitudes of mind – in contrast to spiritual attitudes. We suggest that they are, Islamic, Catholic and Communist attitudes – these have stirred up great friction between nations. Whatever we might think they are, we are awed by this picture of the final days of human rule on earth. The key result of the pouring out of the final bowl is that “God remembered Babylon the great, to make her drain the cup of the wine of the fury of his wrath.” [Revelation 16:19] Babylon! In Hebrew it is the word ‘Babel” – and we remember what happened to Babel [Genesis 11:1-9].

While we cannot be sure what all the symbolic language in this chapter means we can be sure of the wonderful meaning in today’s 53rd chapter in Isaiah. It pictures the life, death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ – so obvious is this that before the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered sceptics were sure it must have been written after the event of the great work of salvation Christ achieved.

Christ’s last words on the cross were “It is finished” [John 19:30] or “It is done.” Let us make sure that, for us, he did not die in vain, and we can be part of the time described from Revelation 19 onwards.
-------
- DC

29 June 2013

1 Samuel 10
Isaiah 54
Revelation 17; 18

“IN A SINGLE HOUR”

The symbolic language of the book of Revelation continues to challenge us. Revelation 17; 18 today describe the dramatic end of the prostitute (AV whore). In Revelation 17 John is told, “Come I will show you the judgment of the great prostitute … on her forehead was written a name of mystery: Babylon the great, mother of prostitutes” [ Revelation 17:1,5] Revelation 18 ends by telling us, “all nations were deceived by your sorcery, And in her was found the blood of the prophets and saints and of all who had been slain on the earth.” [Revelation 18:23-24]

From the 4th Century onward the church, centred on Rome, spread throughout the world and any who openly disagreed with her were slain, She forced newly discovered peoples such as those in Central and South America to accept her distorted version of the teachings of Christ and ways of worship..

However the prostitute depends on the nations for her strength, these are symbolized as a beast with many heads and horns on which she rides [Revelation 17:3]. It seems significant that the European Union was established by ‘The Treaty of Rome’ nearly 60 years ago. As we read on we learn the time comes when those who have supported her “will hate the prostitute” [Revelation 17:16]. Is this starting to happen? The Catholic Church in this country is presently quite chastened into admitting the immoral behavior of many priests and trials are taking place. The expected celibacy of priests is unnatural and has no support in Scripture; their claimed first Pope, Peter was married (see Matthew 8:14) There is no evidence he was ever in Rome.

The Treaty of Rome was established to unite Europe and give it financial and political stability. At first it succeeded marvelously, aided by the collapse of the Soviet Union. But, we learn “her plagues will come in a single day” [Revelation 18:8] This suddenness is further emphasized in Revelation 18:10 “… you mighty city Babylon. For in a single hour your judgment has come.” This is repeated in Revelation 18:17, 19, with the added implication that the world is suffering financially at this time as trade between nations collapses.. True believers will “rejoice over her … you saints … for God has given judgment for you against her.” [Revelation 18:20]

Our world is entering its most awesome final days – but there is no value in us having a belief that God will act to save the world from self destruction if we do not have a real relationship with God and Jesus is our Lord.
-------
- DC

30 June 2013

1 Samuel 11; 12
Isaiah 55
Revelation 19; 20

"WHY DO YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY FOR ..."

What a meaningful chapter we read in Isaiah today! Meaningful because it is so applicable to the attitudes that can and do influence us today. The prophet is caused by the Lord to put the question to the people, “Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread and your labour for that which does not satisfy?” [isaiah 55:2] God then says, through the prophet, “Incline your ear and come to me; hear; that your soul may live (eternally)” [isaiah 55:3] Note the 3 stage process! At what stage are you at?

It is interesting that businesses today work on the principle that ‘time is money’ – so we must also ask ourselves, how are we spending our time?

Next the prophet makes an appeal which is equally, if not more urgent today “Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way and the unrighteous man (or woman) his thoughts; let him (or her) return to the LORD that he may have compassion … for he will abundantly pardon.” [isaiah 55:6-7]

Then comes a fascinating analogy [isaiah 55:10] that, like as the rain waters the earth to make our food grow and produce a harvest “so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty” [isaiah 55:11]

When God’s word is planted in your heart – what effect does it really have? Jesus is the perfect example! Remember how the word of God “was made flesh” [John 1:14] when he was born and grew up to represent God and speak his words and fulfil his purpose as we read in Isaiah 53.

Today the whole world has his word; they can read it in their own languages. May all who read it diligently allow it to become part of their thinking. If that is so, when Christ reigns, they will “go out in joy and be led forth in peace” [isaiah 55:12] and will live in a transformed world with the curse of Eden removed, there being no longer thorns and briers [isaiah 55:13]. Then, as we read in Revelation 20 today, “Death and Hades (the grave) were (are) thrown into the lake of fire. And if anyone’s name was (is) not found in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire” [Revelation 20:14-15]

This “fire” cleanses the world of all impurity and all impure people. May the names of all those who read this be in God’s book! May we all spend our “money” wisely.
-------
- DC