TFTBR - December 2012

Resource Manager

26 December 2012

Job 35; 36

Zechariah 11

Revelation 12; 13

"MY WORTHLESS SHEPHERD"

Jesus is the good shepherd – and in this world of sin and death [Romans 5:12] how urgent it is to find and hear the voice of the good shepherd. There have been many shepherds over the Centuries that have been good up to a point; for example, David, Solomon, Elijah and Hezekiah – and in recent Centuries, men of the calibre of Tyndale may well qualify. But they have been far outnumbered by worthless shepherds – and sadly is that not just about totally the situation today?

Our thoughts travelled along these lines as we read Zechariah 11. Zechariah 11:12 has that intriguing reference to those “who weighed out my wages thirty pieces of silver.” Those who readily paid over the money to Judas Iscariot were extreme examples of worthless shepherds, totally blind to the “good shepherd” .

The one who received the 30 pieces of silver was the worthless one among the 12 Jesus was training to be shepherds to take his place after he left the earth. Do such shepherds exist today?

The final verse of Zechariah 11 says, “Woe to my worthless shepherd, who deserts the flock …” [Zechariah 11:17]

Tragically worthless shepherds think they are serving God – the scribes and Pharisees are outstanding examples of this. They have existed in every generation; John, in his old age, wrote of a church leader called Diotrephes (see 3 John 1:9-10) who was such a person and John adds, “whoever does evil has not seen God.” Our minds must have spiritual vision to “see” God.

Doing evil starts in small ways, but whether small or not so small, there is a common factor says Jesus, “the world … hates me because I testify about it that its works are evil.” [John 7:7] Do we avoid reading God’s word because it pricks our conscience? It is tragic that worthless shepherds think they are serving God, Diotrephes surely did, but those who constantly read and absorb God’s word, learn to be in awe of God, and so progressively develop an attitude that fits them to be seen by God and His Son as worthy shepherds,

In the process of this they learn what it is to endure:- this brings us to our concluding thought in today’s chapter, Revelation 13. Revelation 13:8 tells us of “the book of life” and those whose names are not written there. How tragic! But then comes the challenge - “If anyone has an ear, let him hear … here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.” [Revelation 13:10-11] And as we try to endure we can add a parallel thought, ‘if anyone has an eye, let him read’ and, as a result, really follow in the footsteps of the good shepherd.

-------

- DC

27 December 2012

Job 37

Zechariah 12

Revelation 14

"THE BURDEN OF THE WORD OF THE LORD"

All too often the prophets of the LORD had to bring messages of coming acts of judgement from him.. These, were predictions that were sure and certain. What a ‘burden’ this is for the prophet. The Hebrew word for ‘burden’ has the primary meaning of a pronouncement of doom to someone, all too often, to Israel..

Yet Zechariah’s prophecy has many parts but who can say with any certainty how all these parts fit together?) Part of yesterday’s chapter [Zechariah 11] dealt with events to be fulfilled at the first coming of Christ when “thirty pieces of silver” [Zechariah 11:12] were thrown “to the potter” [Zechariah 11:13] - they were a clear prediction which was fulfilled when the temple priests “bought with them the potter’s field” [Matthew 27:5-8] after Judas, in remorse, threw down the money in the Temple.

Today’s chapter starts, “The burden of the word of the LORD” but it is a ‘burden’ against the enemies of Israel! It is often quoted because it seems clear it has a latter day application. We note the ‘burden’ of the prophets message is that God will “make Jerusalem a cup of staggering” firstly “to all the surrounding peoples”. [Zechariah 12:2]

It is the only place where this word, that is translated ‘staggering’, occurs in the Hebrew scriptures– it is rendered as ‘reeling’ or ‘trembling’ in other versions. It fits rather well the frustrations and weakness of the nations around Israel during my lifetime.

Zechariah 12:3 is even more thought provoking!, The LORD’s message is “On that day I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all the peoples.” What peoples? The prophet continues, “All who lift it will surely hurt themselves. And all the nations of the earth will gather against it.” Does “all the nations of the earth” refer to a United Nations sponsored force? - it seems to make sense: they are utterly unable to ‘lift’ the problem of Jerusalem from their agenda.

The USA and Europe are “staggering” today in one sense – that is, financially. If we see them totally distracted by a huge financial implosion sometime, maybe soon – is it possible, maybe probable, that the Islamic nations, supported by such as Russia, will sponsor a ‘U.N.’ force aiming to ‘gather’ armies against Jerusalem?

The word ‘Jew’ originates from Judahite, and God will act “for the sake of the house of Judah … then the clans of Judah shall say … ‘The inhabitants of Jerusalem have strength through the LORD of hosts their God’” [Zechariah 12:4-5]

“And I”, says God, “will pour out … a spirit of grace … so that when they look on me, on him whom their pierced, they shall mourn ...” [Zechariah 12:10] John 19:34 tells us that the final act against Christ was the piercing of his side. When the Jews finally recognise their Messiah – what remorse will follow! But the rest of Zechariah’s prophecy still has many challenges to our understanding – and we hope to comment further tomorrow. May it not be a ‘burden’ to us to read and meditate on God’s word every day, making sure our meditation includes a personal application.

-------

- DC

28 December 2012

Job 38

Zechariah 13; 14

Revelation 15; 16

"THERE SHALL NEVER AGAIN BE ..."

Our chapters today in Zechariah 13; 14 and Revelation 15; 16 may be the most dramatic in the whole Bible with their descriptions of events leading up to the final judgments of God on the forces of the nations that are blind to the reality of his existence. Some of the ‘jigsaw pieces’ of events we are able to put into place, others tentatively so, but with several we are unable to fit them into place at this stage of human history. The wonderful thing is that God’s final judgments lead to the declaration “there shall never again be a decree of utter destruction.” [Zechariah 14:11]

In Revelation we are given a similar picture, an ultimate era after God’s final judgments, a time when God, through Christ, will ordain a time of peace for a 1,000 years.

We are told “the wrath of God is finished” [Revelation 15:1] “and they sing … ‘Great and amazing are your deeds, O Lord God the Almighty! Just and true are your ways, O King of the nations! Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify your name? For you alone are holy. All nations will come and worship you, for your righteous acts have been revealed.’” [Revelation 15:3-4] Christ will reign for God as “the King of the nations.”

But God’s righteous acts first of all accomplish a cleansing of the earth of evil, expressed in the symbols of a dragon, a beast and a false prophet [Revelation 16:13] to describe the secular and religious powers that are brought to nothing. Involved in this is the “battle of the great day of God Almighty” – that is - “Armageddon” [Revelation 16:14,16] which is climaxed by “a great earthquake such as there had never been since man was on the earth … and the cities of the nations fell.” [Revelation 16:18-19]

Awesome! Intensely frightening! In the midst of these verses is a personal message for true believers, “Behold. I am coming like a thief! Blessed is the one who stays awake, keeping his garments on …” [Revelation 16:15] these are the “garments of salvation” – read Isaiah 61:10. Our prayerful reading and meditation and worship of God here and now will create for us these essential “garments.”

-------

- DC

29 December 2012

Job 39

Malachi 1

Revelation 17; 18

"... IN A SINGLE DAY ... IN A SINGLE HOUR"

As one debates in one’s thoughts the most likely way some of the symbolic language of Revelation is best understood there can be no doubt that today’s chapters (Revelation 17; 18) clearly portray the collapse of a great – and false – religious system. It is described as a ‘prostitute’ (AV – harlot).

“A “voice from heaven” [Revelation 18:4-5] says, “Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues … God has remembered her iniquities”

The language is reminiscent of the O.T. prophecies about Israel being false to their God; yet God was remarkably patient (by human standards) over a long period before Jerusalem and the Temple were destroyed.

A powerful unbiblical system has dominated the Christian scene down through the centuries and we reflected on the fact that a several of those turning to God in our own personal experience were active members of the R.C. church. I have met two who had been R C priests, at least one other who was a nun, and have heard of several others. God is patient, counting as “his people” those who “come out of her” when they commit to true belief.

Revelation 17:2 refers to “sexual immorality” and in the last few years the Church has been plagued by extensive evidence of paedophilia, about which they have at last been forced to admit and make apology. But celibacy is unnatural, and has no justification in Scripture; their alleged first Pope – Peter was married [Matthew 8:14]

BUT then – note - “her plagues will come in a single day … for mighty is the Lord God who has judged her” [Revelation 18:8] Even more than this, “in a single hour your judgment has come” [Revelation 18:10] The collapse of the system is obviously very sudden. The fact that the European Union was established by “the treaty of Rome” in March 1957 with evident involvement by the Vatican – and that they have embassies, howbeit small, in all major countries and that nations recognize and, up till now, respect - has to be taken as significant: many important people visit the Pope.

The Eurozone, is now financially very unstable, also the Vatican has recently had its financial scandals. But our world is now ‘a global village’! Is God soon to bring ‘plagues’ on those who worship ‘mammon’ (money – see Luke 16:11-13) A Euro collapse would undermine the USA’s financial struggles. The financial vision is, “The merchants of the earth weep …since no one buys their cargo anymore … for in a single hour all this wealth has been laid waste.” [Revelation 18:11,17] This all began with ‘the treaty of Rome.’

When God sees that the ingathering of true believers is complete – then the climax will take place - dramatically, suddenly – let us make sure we are part of that ingathering with our convictions and faith firm and strong.

-------

- DC

30 December 2012

Job 40

Malachi 2

Revelation 19; 20

“EVERYONE WHO DOES EVIL IS GOOD ... ”

After Malachi, the last book in the Old Testament was written, there was silence; no inspired message from God until John the Baptist came on the scene 400 years or so later. No wonder John attracted so much attention.

Through Malachi God again predicted the coming of Jesus, his special messenger, but Jesus states that John had also been predicted [Luke 3:15] in the words we will read in Malachi 3:1, “Behold I send my messenger and he will prepare the way before me.”

Malachi’s message, like those of many prophet’s before him, fell on deaf ears. The religious leaders, the Levites, were misrepresenting God. “You have wearied the LORD with your words” he tells them. They ask, “How have we wearied him?” His response was , “By saying everyone who does evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and He delights in them.” [Malachi 2:17] How could they say that? Well we can see today how much “whitewash’ is painted over ways of living that God declares is wrong.

By representing God as being merciful, by twisting the application of the Law almost no matter how they lived the religious leaders in the time of Jesus were also misrepresenting God. Finally, a terrible judgement fell of them.

What about today? There is a near silence in the established churches about the latter day warnings in God’s word. Malachi’s warnings apply to today when we read, “behold the day is coming , burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble. The day that is coming will set them ablaze.” [Malachi 4:1]

In contrast, how wonderful is the other side of the message! Let’s make sure we fix the gaze of our thinking on the other side,, “for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall arise …” [Malachi 4:2]

Malachi mentions the book of life of which we read in Revelation today [Revelation 20:12]. Malachi calls it a book of remembrance and writes, “Then those who feared the LORD spoke with one another. The LORD paid attention and heard them, and a book of remembrance was written before him of those who feared the LORD and esteemed his name. They shall be mine, says the LORD of hosts, in the day when I make up my treasured possession, and I will spare them …” [Malachi 3:16-17]

Let us live so we become one of God’s treasured possessions?

-------

- DC

31 December 2012

Job 41; 42

Malachi 3; 4

Revelation 21; 22

“EVERYONE WHO LOVES AND PRACTICES …”

Today we read the final chapters in both the Old and New Testaments. Both describe in graphic (and fairly symbolic) detail the final climax of world history. Malachi in particular says, “the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and evildoers will be stubble.” [Malachi 4:1] But what should concern us most, are the principles God uses in accepting human beings – whether he grants them a wondrous eternal future or not!

Revelation tells us that Jesus, now at God’s right hand, tells John, “Behold I am coming soon (soon, as in God’s timeframe – what is 2,000 years from his perspective?) bringing my recompense (reward) with me, to repay everyone for what he (or she) has done.” [Revelation 22:12] The reward of the righteous is in heaven, where they have “laid up treasure” [Luke 18:22], but they do not go there to receive it, Jesus brings it to them.

Jesus declares, “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life … Outside are …” [Revelation 22:14-15] which takes our thoughts to Adam and Eve and the way they were excluded from God’s garden so they could not eat of that tree.

Who are left outside - in “outer darkness” [Matthew 8:12], the place of the eternally dead when the climax of the ages is reached? Revelation tells us, “Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.” [Revelation 22:15] Compare Malachi 3:5.

Would you say many humans live like dogs that roam around, getting wilder? Sorcerers? They play with the mind, so this includes those who take drugs! But the final category of those who “practice falsehood” will surely embrace a great many humans. How God despises those who are not honest in word and deed was stressed in Revelation 21. Note Revelation 21:8 “But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death.” The symbol of the “lake’ is there plainly stated.

Luke 13:23-28 contains Jesus answer to the question, “Will those who are saved be few?” Jesus says, at his return, when he rejects them, they will say, , “we ate and drank in your presence and you taught in our streets” And will there not also be many who will say ‘we read the Bible’?

But although they did this - if they loved and practised the wrong thing and the practice of their faith was parallel to that of the religious leaders in Jesus’ day! How tragic for all such will be “the day that is coming! May we all, in 2013 renew our endeavours to genuinely love God - and to know and believe what is true and practice a Godly way of life.

-------

- DC