TFTD - August 2012

Resource Manager

26 August 2012

"Because of our familiarity with the things we believe, we tend to fail to regard them with the importance which they demand. It is impossible to serve two masters, and we cannot serve God and mammon. Jesus set the standard when he appropriated to himself the prophetic word: 'Lo, I come ... to do your will, O God.' This was his guiding principle all through his life, through and beyond Gethsemane, until it received its final expression on the cross. 'into your hands I commend my spirit.' can refer to more than the yielding up of his mortal life. His consecration was complete, with no half measures. The teaching of the Old Testament was very clear. The Law was explicit. 'which is the great commandment in the law?' queried the lawyer. Direct and immediate came the answer of Jesus: 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind ...'; and, said Jesus, 'this do, and you shall live.' Nothing half-hearted here! Not 50%, or even 75%, for all requires the full 100%."

- James Carter

27 August 2012

"The wholesome word is equally tempered together of two opposite qualities, Truthfulness and Tenderness. The Gospel is in health just because it is so.

It is an easy thing with some people to be truthful. It is an easy thing with other people to be tender. Of how few is the Apostolical saying descriptive in both its parts, speaking the truth-or rather, for the original word is far larger, being truthful-in love! The Gospel is healthy because it is truthful in love."

- C.J. Vaughan

28 August 2012

"Life has its clouds and mysteries even for those who 'exercise' themselves 'unto godliness'. But His goodness and mercy never fail, His promises are kept. His mercies are new every morning. The life lived near to Him is very safe though much threatened. Psalm 91 speaks of the snare of the fowler and the noisome pestilence (Psalm 91:3), the night terror and the daylight arrow (Psalm 91:5), the lion and the adder and the dragon (Psalm 91:13)-all are there, in some form or other, along the pathway of our lives. But God is there too. 'I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my Salvation' (Psalm 91:15-16)."

- Claud Lamb

30 August 2012

"When a person "believes" or has "faith" in the Bible sense, he is fully persuaded of the truth of those things which are taught in the Scriptures. Belief is based on knowledge - in the absence of knowledge there is no true faith: and Paul makes the emphatic declaration, truly reasonable when all the facts are considered, that "without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." (Hebrews 11:6). To believe He is "a rewarder" presupposes an understanding of those "exceedingly great and precious promises: that by these you might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." (2 Peter 1:4). "For by grace are you saved through faith" (Ephesians 2:8); for, in the words of both Old and New Testaments, "the just shall live by faith"."

- John Carter

God's Way

31 August 2012

"'... When the king came in to see the guests'—he has not come yet, but surely he is very near. The parabolic instruction is for us to ponder deeply. 'He saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment.' We know how particular is the etiquette of human society. What is the wedding garment in the case? There have been various answers to this question, and some not quite correct. Some say it is baptism. No, baptism is but a part of the answer. Many of the baptized will not be chosen. Something higher than baptism is indicated. Truly we cannot come to the wedding apart from baptism; 'As many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.' But is that initial putting on of Christ sufficient for us to be received as a guest at the wedding? It is inadequate. What then is the wedding garment? We have it in the King’s own parabolic prophecy in the Revelation 'The fine linen is the righteousness of the saints' (Revelation 19:8). Obedience of faith, rendered in time of trouble and endurance, that is the wedding garment. The King will not expel those who are thus clothed."

- C.C. Walker