• Administrators
  • 14140 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:33 AM

21 March 2018

Numbers 2 
Psalms 145; 146; 147 
Luke 12  

"HIS GREATNESS IS UNSEARCHABLE"

We are coming to the end of reading the Psalms. David's perceptions and praise of God appears to reach ever greater proportions. Psalm 145 starts, "I will extol you, my God and King ... Every day I will bless you and praise your name ..." Let us start each day by saying a 'blessing' and thanksgiving to our God and his Son, our "king." 

Psalm 145:3 states, "Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable." We recall David's Psalm we read earlier this month, "Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time forth and forevermore! From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the LORD is to be praised! The LORD is high above all nations ..." [Psalm 113:2-4].  

Surely a vision of the kingdom when the whole world will be utterly astonished to recognise that "his greatness is unsearchable." 

Back in today's Psalm, Psalm 145:9 tells us " The LORD is good to all" but his goodness as well as his greatness in all that exists is not recognised today, the world has become totally blind. But the time is coming (How soon now?) when "They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom and tell of your power ..." [Psalm 145:11]. 

There was a degree of "glory" in David's kingdom which reached its' fullness when Solomon reigned. But surely Psalm 145:11-13 applies to the soon coming kingdom which will "make known to the children of men your mighty deeds, and the glorious splendour of your kingdom. Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom ..."

Finally, in today's Chapter 12 in Luke's gospel, Jesus is recorded as saying, "Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom ... Provide for yourselves ... treasure in the heavens ... where your treasure is, there will your heart be also ... Stay dressed for action ... waiting for (our) master to come home ... " [Luke 12:32-36]. And when he does, then we will fully and wonderfully realise that "his (Father's) greatness is unsearchable." 
-------
- DC

#22 Resource Manager

Resource Manager

Forum Management

• Administrators
  • 14140 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:34 AM

22 March 2018

Numbers 3 
Psalms 148; 149; 150 
Luke 13; 14  

"WILL THOSE WHO ARE SAVED BE FEW?"

Today's chapters in Luke are full of challenging parables. They really challenge us to understand and act on a particular message, what Jesus said when someone asked, "Lord, will those who are saved be few?" [Luke 13:23]. The question leads Jesus to talk about the "narrow door" [Luke 13:24]. We recall on another occasion he spoke about the "narrow gate" [Matthew 7:13-14] when he said, "the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."  

Luke records Jesus as saying, "Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able" [Luke 13:24]. Why will they not be able? Why does God not make it wide and easy? Does he not want all people to be saved? If the answer is "Yes" – we must ask ourselves, "Saved - on whose terms?" Ours or God's? 

We may want to buy a house or a car? Who sets the terms? But salvation is so very different, a life changing difference! 

Jesus goes on to tell of a house, the door of which is "shut!" Many are knocking and "saying, Lord, open to us, then he will answer you, 'I do not know where you come from.' Then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets'" [Luke 13:25].

So because we hear Jesus preached about and read God's Bible, and even share in a communion meal, can we ask for the right to come in this house? But the text continues with Jesus once again saying, "But he will say, 'I tell you I do not know where you come from'" [Luke 13:26-27]. He implies, they never had a relationship with him.

In Luke 14, we also read today, there is a situation where, they reclined with Jesus at a meal table, and someone said, "Blessed is everyone who will eat bread in the kingdom of God" [Luke 14:15]. We then read how Jesus commented on those who had (to them) more important things to do in their lives than to come to God's banquet. They gave first place to being involved with their family and businesses! It is far from "easy" to be a true follower of Jesus. No one will "deserve" to be in his kingdom; it will only be by grace! And who deserves his grace? But that is another subject!
-------
- DC

#23 Resource Manager

Resource Manager

Forum Management

• Administrators
  • 14140 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:36 AM

23 March 2018

Numbers 4 
Proverbs 1 
Luke 15  

"FOOLS DESPISE WISDOM & INSTRUCTION"

Today we start reading "the Proverbs of Solomon" [Proverbs 1:1] and the key verse that jumps out at our eyes is "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction" [Proverbs 1:7].  

Our minds should be filled with awe as to all that God must be!! The plea of Solomon is, "Hear my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching" [Proverbs 1:8]. The acceptance and absorption into our minds of such teaching and instruction is like wearing "a graceful garland" – yet today how many parents are able and willing to teach true wisdom to their children? If they are able and willing – their children are surrounded by counter influences but the need for "wisdom and instruction" has never been greater.

The message contains a strong warning about the "opposite" to true wisdom, the attitude of those who have no time for God – so the blunt warning is made, "if sinners entice you do not consent" [Proverbs 1:10].  

Virtually no one thinks of themselves as being a "sinner" these days, sin is an obsolete word! But there is no middle course; the book of Proverbs makes this plain, if you are not on God's side seeking his will and guidance in making your pathway in life, you are against him. 

Wisdom is personified and "cries aloud" – at the same time "scoffers delight in their scoffing" [Proverbs 1:20,22]. But "wisdom" says, "If you turn at my reproof, behold I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you" [Proverbs 1:23] and we can see that God's Spirit has led to the Bible being written and preserved and our daily feeding on God's word will guide our lives. 

The chapter fittingly concludes, "the complacency of fools destroys them, but whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster." 
-------
- DC

#24 Resource Manager

Resource Manager

Forum Management

• Administrators
  • 14140 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:37 AM

24 March 2018

Numbers 5 
Proverbs 2 
Luke 16 

"... WATCHING OVER THE WAY OF HIS SAINTS"

Proverbs 2 is one of the most thought provoking in the entire book. Meditate on the sequence of "ifs" in the first 4 verses. "IF you receive my words … IF you call out for insight and … understanding …. IF you seek it like silver and search for it … then you will find …" What will you find if you have tried to do this? 

The answer in Proverbs 2:5 is, "then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God." That is, experience a state of awe in your mind as you start to grasp the enormity of what the Creator must be in his existence and actions! This is far different from an academic understanding of the nature of God, even from a scriptural perspective. 

A truly seeking person must develop "the knowledge of God," that is, a knowing insight into what God is – it is "seeing" and as a result possessing an overwhelming vision of that which overwhelms normal human thinking.

When the LORD first spoke to Job, after all Job's reasoning with his friends, God says, "Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?" [Job 38:2] It is the "knowledge" Solomon is speaking of in our Proverbs reading. Job confesses, "I have uttered what I did not understand, things to wonderful for me, which I did not know … but now mine eye sees you" [Job 42:3,5]. 

Notice how Paul expresses it; "having the eyes of our hearts enlightened that you may know …" [Ephesians 1:18]. So, in our Proverbs chapter Solomon wants us to experience the awe of seeing God and then to be ready to grasp the relationship we can have with God, as Job ultimately did! 

We read "the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding … he is a shield to those who walk in integrity … watching over the way of his saints" [Proverbs 2:6,8]

So, if we seek in this way then "wisdom will come into your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul" [Proverbs 2:10]; furthermore, "… understanding will guard you, delivering you from the way of evil, from men (and women) of perverted speech … who rejoice in doing evil who are devious in their ways" [Proverbs 2:11-15].  

Today we encounter such people more than ever, also those who have no spiritual strength to fight off these influences, so we need to be conscious every day that our Lord is "watching over the way of his saints" looking for them to find more and more of "the knowledge of God." 

Reading and meditating on God's word every day lays the foundation for that consciousness.
-------
- DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users