TFTD - December 2017

Resource Manager

26 December 2017

"... what do we mean by being “in the truth”? What are we saying when we use this time-honoured and well-worn phrase? The phrase defines our position with regard to faith in God and His word. God is He who will perform “the truth” to Jacob--an Old Testament phrase meaning that God is faithful and will keep His promises to the fathers. Being “in the truth” is therefore a way of saying that by God’s grace we have become heirs of those promises and, believing that God is faithful, we await their fulfilment. Unthinking, however, we sometimes use the phrase as a mere description of the fact that another’s belief identifies with our own."

- John S. Roberts

In the Truth (1979)

27 December 2017

"God promises to bring His children through trial, suffering and tribulation, and to do abundantly for them above all that they ask or think. Let us trust Him implicity and He will help us in our weaknesses and lovingly correct us in our errors. He will, in short, "cause all things to work for the good of those who love him, who are called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28)."

- Harold Smalley

Sitting on the Fence (1979)

28 December 2017

"The spotlight of Scripture turns upon each of us. It is our privilege to know the "calm of sins forgiven", and the nearness of God through His Word and His Son. We who have been baptized have been separated from sin ... James exhorts us not to have "the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons", but to "fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself" (James 2:1,8). In response to this law we should not have to ask, as did the lawyer in Luke 10, "And who is my neighbour" (Luke 10:29).

But then, he wished to justify himself!"

- Alfred Nicholls

Ye Who Sometimes Were Far Off (1986)    

29 December 2017

"Ponder this: why are you obedient? Is it dread of discovery if you are not, or is it something higher? If you are love-mastered then the law is, in a sense, superfluous. So one day a man is going to write: “Love is the fulfilling of the law”. Recall this from 1 Timothy 1:9: “Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man but for the lawless and disobedient; for the ungodly and for sinners; for the unholy and the profane; for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers; for man slayers; for whoremongers ” The principle is this: rise into the spirit of love and you are free from the restraints of the law. So it is not a case of “I would, but I dare not”. It is a case of “I could, but I will not--for love’s sake”. In other words because of the law of love which drives you, you cannot harm your brother, you cannot degrade one of your Father’s other children. The new man, the new-born, love-dominated spirit will do no evil to his fellow men. It transcends law and rests upon this blessed principle of love. It was the proclamation of this in the simple reality of life which was new."

- Dennis Gillett

The Genius of Discipleship

30 December 2017  

"To the faithful Israelite, dismayed at the disasters coming upon his people, grieved at the ways of the wicked, especially in his own nation, the words of the prophets were a clarion call to faith and trust in God in spite of all appearances to the contrary. This is where their great value lies as exhortation and instruction for us today, for we face just the same problem. We need the serene authority of their message, their deep appreciation of the holy righteousness and the mercy of God, their entire belief in Him as a Person who will act in His own cause at the time He will choose."

- Fred Pearce

From Hosea to Zephaniah

31 December 2017

"We need to remind ourselves more often than we do, that in the coming day all the skills, the talents, the achievements, and the successes of this life; however clever we are, or however rich we may have become, however brilliant our intellect, however worldly wise we may be; all will have gone, and the only thing that will remain will be that new man which has been developed in us by sitting at the feet of Jesus, and listening to him, when he says, "I say unto you."

- Philip Hinde
Jesus in the First Gospel (1980)