TFTBR - October 2017

Resource Manager

01 October 2017

1 Chronicles 15

Ezekiel 27

Luke 24 

GOD'S INSTRUCTIONS

When we do not follow the instructions that come with the things we buy, or later lose them and guess at what they say - we often have a problem!

Until Solomon built the magnificent Temple, the centre of worship for the people had been the Tabernacle. This contained God’s golden ark concealed within its Most Holy Place, it was the true God’s dwelling place on earth. It had been built to God’s specific instructions after the people escaped from slavery in Egypt and received God’s laws at Sinai. Among the instructions God gave through Moses were instructions to the priests responsible for carrying the Ark from place to place.

When King David captured Jerusalem he built a special tent to house the Ark in Jerusalem. Now when the Priests started to bring the ark into Jerusalem, they failed to follow God’s instructions. It had been designed with poles to be slotted through it and for the Priests to carry it on the poles.

Maybe these Priests failed to read the instructions or thought they knew better and they loaded it on a cart. The oxen stumbled and a Priest had to grab the ark to prevent it falling off the cart. In handling the ark itself maybe his hands penetrated in some way its sacred interior. The result was - that Priest, Uzzah, died – it was a heart searching lesson from God.

In today’s reading [1 Chronicles 15] they were now very careful to follow the rules God had laid down. David had now “prepared a place for the ark” [1 Chronicles 15:1] and we read [1 Chronicles 15:15] “the Levites carried the ark of God on their shoulders with the poles as Moses had commanded according to the word of the LORD”. The ark was brought into Jerusalem and there was much rejoicing, music, singing and dancing. 

When we obey God properly there is great joy and this was a really special occasion.

We are told there is joy in heaven [Luke 15:7] when a sinner repents which happens when one is baptised; that is, immersed by going under the water. There must be sadness when this is not done in the way commanded, when people think that sprinkling is baptism, but to baptise means immersion, it is the plain meaning of the Greek word, baptizo.

Let us serve God properly, following his instructions; taking a lesson from this incident; then, if we are faithful to his word in heart and mind, we will have true joy and rejoicing when we come into God’s Holy City when Jesus returns – and an abundance of other joys.

-------

- DC

02 October 2017

1 Chronicles 16

Ezekiel 28

Galatians 1; 2  

"IT IS NO LONGER I WHO LIVE"

Paul's letter to the Galatians is both challenging – and inspiring – and has been for all generations since it was written by him in the 1st century. We know how Paul was dramatically converted and how wonderfully true are the words we read today. We must each ask ourselves are they true as applied to me personally.  There are words which particularly challenge us!

"It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." [Galatians 2:20] The longer we live (in Christ) the more we should be able to say this of ourselves – being said from thhe heart.

How are you feeling in your heart? Depressed? Exalted? Or somewhere in between? We meditated on the various conditions of our heart's emotions and of David's as we read last week of his efforts to stir the people into a spirit of thanksgiving. They were bringing the sacred ark of the covenant into the tent (presumably to some degree a replica of the tabernacle) David had set up in Jerusalem. He had recently made the city his capital – it was thereafter called "the city of David" [1 Chronicles 11:5,7].

We read today, the wonderful song David wrote for that occasion. What an example to everyone since then – and no less so to ourselves. Consider the words, "Oh give thanks to the LORD; call upon his name, make known his deeds … Let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice!" [1 Chronicles 16:8,10] Surely David could have echoed the words of Paul, "It is no longer I who live." 

David learnt the 'hard' way – through the weakness of the flesh – but this inspired him to write some remarkable Psalms of contrition (especially Psalm 51). Our final thought today is 'inspired' by the last verse of  Galatians "if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise".  

With this promise in our minds and hearts – may we each be able to say, "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me." 

-------

- DC

03 October 2017

1 Chronicles 17

Ezekiel 29

Galatians 3; 4  

"WHO AM I LORD GOD?"

As a lad David was a shepherd, he sought to do his job properly, and he did; he protected the sheep. His father sent him with provisions for his brothers in the army, he knew nothing about the Philistine champion Goliath until he got there. 

The act which was to give him fame and cause us to think of him as "Great David" was caused by a situation thrust upon him. His faith in God, developed from his youth, his assurance that God was a "living God" was the foundation upon which his thinking and attitudes were built.  

This in turn led to further situations that developed into a conviction of God and a day to day relationship with Him. It was a wonderful state of mind, it gave him the strength to triumph over God's enemies they were not his enemies ­ they only became so because they were jealous of the successes he gained through his faith and trust in God.  

Saul is a particular example of this happening - both of his jealousy caused by David's popularity ­ and the result of his failing to develop a daily relationship with God. A vital factor for us in our endeavours to develop this relationship ourselves - is our daily reading of God's word. How we read is a vital factor in this! Are we as "hungry" for food for our minds as we are of food for our bodies?

In our reading today in 1 Chronicles 17 David is astounded at the promises God makes to him! God speaks of his servant David's house, a spiritual house, revealing the blueprint of what will unfold in the future. David realizes God has spoken of "a great while to come and have shown me future generations" [1 Chronicles 17:17]. David says, in his humility, "Who am I LORD God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?" [1 Chronicles 17:16]

Reflect on your life ­ are your attitudes of faith, aims and ambitions such that God will be able to use you in some part of his purpose? 

This is the lesson we learn from David's life. Note what he says in his Psalm (a prayer really) to God; "You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great" [Psalm 18:35] God is "gentle" with those who seek to serve him with a humble and awed attitude of mind. What an example to us ­ much food for our thoughts and our contemplation of our own relationship with God. Are you finding this food a remarkable stimulus to the health of your mind ­ day after day?

-------

- DC

04 October 2017

1 Chronicles 18; 19

Ezekiel 30

Galatians 5; 6

"I WARN YOU AS I WARNED YOU BEFORE"

Modern pictures often portray contrasting colours as do many manufactured things, it is the fashion. They rather hit you in the eye, whites and yellows, set against blues, blacks and reds. This is particularly the case in advertising, as they aim to grab our attention.  

Our reading today in Galatians does not set colours in contrast ­ it sets human behaviour! It describes the good things in human behaviour that our God and our Saviour the Lord Jesus are looking to see. 

First let us notice the things that God and his Son, our Saviour hate to see, these are "sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality … jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries … envy, drunkenness, orgies and things like that" [Galatians 5:19-21] Let us ponder carefully and prayerfully what Paul says about this, "I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God". Paul knew he needed to repeat the warning! Ponder - how much more today is that warning needed?

There is no middle way! It's either a broad way, which nearly all are following, or the narrow way.

The ideal attitude is to have our minds "fixed" in the direction of the kingdom ­ then our feet will stay on the narrow pathway. Beware of trying to walk on both paths, the believers at Laodicea were the worst example of trying to do this and were rejected because they were neither one thing nor the other, they were "lukewarm" [Revelation 3:16]

There is true joy and peace when we heed Paul's warning and join together to help each other along the narrow way. The two ways are a greater contrast than ever before today - the broad way is totally empty of eternal meaning. Let us heed the warning of Paul which we read today. Let us therefore develop "the fruit of the Spirit (which is) is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control …  those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires" [Galatians 5:22-24].  Let each of us make sure we "belong to Christ."

-------

- DC

05 October 2017

1 Chronicles 20; 21

Ezekiel 31

Ephesians 1; 2  

"THE IMMEASURABLE RICHES OF HIS GRACE"

"Grace" is a special word for Paul - it is often defined by "Christian" writers as "unmerited forgiveness" but that is scarcely satisfactory ­ although we can see how such a definition applies to Paul. It is the "opposite" to "earning" salvation by keeping the law ­ or practicing rituals such as those developed by the Roman Catholic church. 

It is heart-challenging to see how Pail uses it in writing to the Ephesians, the letter of Paul we started reading today. This letter is a rich source of spiritual food ­ we must digest it carefully and slowly.  

The thought that first attracted our attention today was that God [Ephesians 1:4] "chose us in him (Christ) before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him."  

When Adam and Eve sinned and were put out of the Garden of Eden God had already planned for a seed (descendant) of the woman to "bruise the head" [Genesis 3:15] of the descendants of the serpent ­ an allegorical way of saying God had plotted the way ahead to counter-act on-going human sinfulness.

This happened, writes Paul, "through Jesus Christ (the ultimate special descendant of Eve), according to the purpose of his (God's) will, to the praise of his glorious grace … through his (Christ's) blood … in him we have redemption … the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us …" [Ephesians 4:5-8] The word "grace" is very special to Paul; it was an wondrous act of grace to blot out all Paul's deeds in killing Stephen and persecuting countless believers. 

Grace is commonly defined as "unmerited forgiveness".

In the Ephesians 2 Paul says God has made believers "alive together with Christ ­ by grace you have been saved ­ and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace …" [Ephesians 2:5-7].  

Our minds must digest this 'picture' thoughtfully in order to 'see' it correctly. Remember how Jesus described Capernaum as being 'exalted to heaven' [Matthew 11:23] because of the abundance of the miracles they witnessed (but did not appreciate). Believers need to have hearts that are "lifted up" in appreciation!  

In contrast, Paul deplores "the spirit that is now at work among the sons of disobedience." [Ephesians 2:2] This is a "spirit", an attitude of mind, that now totally dominates our world!

We do our best to turn away from this "spirit" - but know we cannot be "perfect" by our own will. But in Christ we have access to "his glorious grace" and to "the immeasurable riches" of that grace. 

Although these riches are far beyond what we deserve; they are a wonderful reassurance and strength for those struggling against sin as they now live having committed the rest of their lives to Christ.  

The world is now suffering from extreme spiritual poverty, but those who establish a genuine spiritual relationship with God and his Son have "immeasurable riches". The coming ages', when all will be revealed, are surely now very near.

-------

- DC

06 October 2017

1 Chronicles 22

Ezekiel 32

Ephesians 3; 4

"THEN THEY WILL KNOW THAT I AM THE LORD"

The above phrase occurs so often in Ezekiel. For example, Ezekiel 28; 29; 30 all conclude with these words. In today's chapter [Ezekiel 32] it occurs in Ezekiel 32:15 after predicting the downfall and disgrace of Egypt where the remnant of the people from Jerusalem had gone for safety, taking a reluctant Jeremiah with them [Jeremiah 43].

Egypt had been a great nation for centuries as archaeology shows - and we particularly remember the experience of Joseph. So what does this phrase mean? We concluded that it means ­ that events prove that those who know and listen to the words that the prophets utter in the name of the LORD ­ the one and only God ­ will know that he is the only LORD and he means what he says. We can therefore see that the fulfilment of God's words in the past ­ and how they gave confidence and faith to those who took serious notice of his words.  

Today's chapter lists all the great nations that had come and gone ­ and Egypt was to join them in obscurity. Some we know, like Assyria [Ezekiel 32:22-23), some we are not so sure of the detail about, like Elam and Edom. It is interesting that Meshech gets a mention [Ezekiel 32:26] as a nation of the past ­ before Ezekiel's time. To equate this name with Moscow, as some have, a city which did not come into existence until 1500 years later, seems totally unreasonable. 

One could compile an up-to-date list of Empires that have come and gone. The Roman Empire became nominally Christian in the third Century but perished in its own corruption 200 years later. And what of the British Empire, the Spanish, and so on? Human Empires come and go, but when God's "Empire" is established over all the earth then ALL people "will know" ­ but it will be of no special benefit to those who do not "know … the LORD" now! Indeed it may well be a disaster to many!

God also causes the prophet Joel to paint this picture of the future, "The LORD roars from Zion the heavens and the earth quake. But the LORD is a refuge to his people … so you shall know that I am the LORD your God, who dwells in Zion, my holy mountain. And Jerusalem shall be holy, and strangers shall never again pass through it." [Joel 3:16-17] It is also inspiring to ponder the words of Zechariah 10:6!

Those who KNOW their God now will have an eternal role in His service from that time. 

-------

- DC

07 October 2017

1 Chronicles 23

Ezekiel 33

Ephesians 5; 6 

"MAKING THE BEST USE OF THE TIME BECAUSE …"

Our world is full of distractions to us ­ far more than in any previous age. Paul in today's chapters in Ephesians [Ephesians 5:16] wrote the above words and they apply so much to the way we live our lives right now. He also wrote, "sexual immorality and all impurity … must not even be named among you … let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk, nor crude joking …" [Ephesians 5:3-4] The kind of life in Ephesus must have been a lot like today ­ but at least they did not have the Internet, TV, radio and magazines constantly influencing them with nearly all of its' content leaving God entirely out of the picture.

How can a true Bible believer have anything to do with so many of the attitudes and fleshly values which surround us! They are so blatantly portrayed as entertainment! 

Now note what Paul then writes, "Instead, let there be thanksgiving". We must realize the point of that comment. 

Are we thankful that we can see the true meaning and purpose of life? We should be utterly thankful! Those around us who are largely living for the experiences they can have each day, have their minds fed by the instincts of the flesh instead of the word of God. They have no thought that awesome judgements from God that are hanging over the world of today.

This leads us to think of our readings today in Ezekiel [Ezekiel 33] and the blindness of the people in Jerusalem as to their impending fate. As a genuine prophet of the one true God he had a role and responsibility as a watchman. We have the same responsibility. God tells the prophet, "I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked". His message was to be, "turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?" [Ezekiel 33:11].  

Our message should be something similar. It may fall on deaf ears but we have a responsibility to try. Lot, living in Sodom, obviously tried, otherwise Abraham would not have thought there could be "fifty righteous within the city" [Genesis 18:24] Peter comments on how God rescued "righteous Lot, greatly distressed by the sensual conduct around him" [2 Peter 2:12]  

Do you feel distressed? Perhaps you are not making the best use of the time? We read today how Paul wrote to the Ephesians telling them to "look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil." [Ephesians 5:15-16] Is it your time? No - it is God's time! Let us spend it in the wisest way possible.

-------

- DC

08 October 2017

1 Chronicles 24; 25

Ezekiel 34

Philippians 1; 2  

"WORK OUT YOUR OWN SALVATION WITH …"

Those of you who are young know what it is to have a 'work out' ­ we understand it as a simple way of saying - exercising to keep yourself fit. It is just as important; well, actually far more important, to keep ourselves spiritually fit. If you are really young and feel very physically fit, then make sure your aim is also to grow up spiritually fit.

In our Philippians readings this morning this phrase occurs. Paul writes, "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you both to will and to work for his good pleasure" [Philippians 2:12-13]. 

That's a fantastic verse … God works in us! But if we are not interested in him and do not meditate on his involvement in our lives, then we cannot expect him to watch over us in whatever "work out" we choose. If we choose to "work out" in God's way then we will be training ourselves to think and act in a Christ like way and we will use our lives to serve him.  

For example, we will aim to follow Paul's advice by "being in full accord and one mind" with those also in training. 

"Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves." This is Paul's counsel [Philippians 2:2-3].  

We have also been reading Ezekiel and the Jews he knew totally failed the spiritual "work out" God expected of them. He had been patient with them over many generations but now all sorts of terrible things happened to them, as we are now reading. Let us fully appreciate that our God is very patient; he wants us to be saved, to be in his wonderful kingdom which will soon come on this earth, but the failure of his people in the days of Ezekiel is a lesson to us.

Just as we do physical exercises - especially the young ­ but also those not so young who still want to feel 'young' in the same way both young and old must exercise their minds about God and Jesus by reading the God's word. 

In that way we will know what to pray for ­ and our prayers will be answered and we will , "work out your own salvation" and God and His Son will work in us.  

But if we only pray when we are in trouble, is it fair to expect God to answer? Trouble is certainly coming on this earth ­ we will need to be fully spiritually fit to cope with it. How is your 'work out' progressing?

-------

- DC

09 October 2017

1 Chronicles 26

Ezekiel 35

Philippians 3; 4  

"WALK AS ENEMIES OF THE CROSS"

The Apostle Paul is very emotional as we read today his thoughts in his letter to the believers at Philippi. Paul makes us realize that a fully committed belief in Christ goes hand in hand with a fullness of conviction which creates, as a result, a living relationship day after day with our Lord Jesus.

His words, to be fully appreciated, require us to engage in emotional meditation if we are to capture the fullness of his heart felt message to the Philippians. Paul is greatly distressed about those who have failed to achieve this vital attitude of commitment, it is an attitude created by seeing the unseen! Do we know personally what Paul meant? 

This "knowing" must be at the heart of all true and genuine lives of faith. It is true that there will be some occasions when such a vision fails; faithful men like David and Elijah experienced this; let us realize how David's Psalms show that his "power" of mind in seeing - was the driving force in his life. 

The letter of Paul to the Philippians is the most positive of all his letters, yet even at Philippi he saw many failures that he grieved over. He writes of "many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ." [Philippians 3:18].

What were they doing to make them enemies? One thing Paul says is their God is their belly! It reminds us of the parable of Jesus about the man who had his mind focused on this life's blessings and said to himself, "Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years, relax, eat, drink, be merry." [Luke 12:19] This is the aim of so many today whether they have "ample goods" or not. Without Christ, lives are lived with this as a dominating focus of thought can and will come to a sudden and – an eternally sad - end. How much does this influence us? 

Paul sums up the attitude that distressed him by stating that such have their "minds set on earthly things." [Philippians 3:19]. Undoubtedly the "believers" who did this, did not see they were doing so; they would usually find time to go and worship for an hour or two on the first day of each week.

The most positive part of Paul's message is his appeal, "Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us" [Philippians 3:17] "One thing I do … I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus … let us hold true to what we have attained" [Philippians 3:13,14,16] and never be in danger of becoming enemies of the cross of Christ.

-------

- DC

10 October 2017

1 Chronicles 27

Ezekiel 36

John 1 

"IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD"

Today we start to read the Gospel of John. "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." This is a most challenging gospel to understand. But the Bible would lose our continuing interest if its meaning was immediately plain as we read it. Often we have to carefully think about what we have read, and compare other passages, before we grasp its full meaning. This is God's wisdom in causing it to be written in this way.

The problem in this passage is made greater because the translators have had a fixed idea in their minds as to the Church doctrine – formulated in later centuries – which it is expected to support. Note the word "WORD".  "In the beginning was the WORD." In the Greek this is the word Logos. It is sometimes translated as saying (e.g. John 4:47,49) when Jesus was "saying" this and that to the people - the lexicon says it primarily means "spoken word".

Our thoughts go back to the first chapter in the whole Bible, Genesis 1. This is all about what God said to create life on earth. God spoke - and creation followed as the hosts of angels did his bidding, see Psalm 103:20-21. 

All that the people heard in the wilderness was God speaking from the top of the mountain. God was known only by his WORD; no one saw God he was known by his voice. Now the translators confuse us in John 1 when they start to use the word 'Him' as the pronoun for 'WORD.' The earliest translations (Tyndale) use the word 'it.' 

The best way is to use the noun instead of the pronoun, then it would read. "All things were made through a word, and without a word was not anything made that was made" [John 1:3] and that is what happened in Creation.

But there is a greater meaning here, a spiritual meaning – that is, that the words of Jesus had the power to bring eternal life to those that genuinely accepted them in their hearts. The Jews [John 1:11] did not accept his words "But to all who did receive him, who believed his name, he gave the right to become children of God" [John 1:12] Let us all aim to become children of God? 

------- 

- DC

11 October 2017

1 Chronicles 28

Ezekiel 37

John 2; 3  

"FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD" 

What an intensely thought challenging set of chapters we have today. The highlight of course are John 2; 3, but first we have that marvellous chapter 1 Chronicles 28 in which David, in his old age, charges Solomon his son to build a house (Temple). David declares that the LORD "has chosen Solomon my son to sit on the throne of the kingdom of the LORD over Israel." [1 Chronicles 28:5] Then, in 1 Chronicles 28:7 the LORD adds to this promise, but uses that significant little word, "if." 

"I will establish his kingdom forever if he continues strong in keeping my commandments and my rules, as he is today.' This is also a powerful exhortation for us! It is even more powerful in 1 Chronicles 28:9! "Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches all hearts … If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever." [1 Chronicles 28:9] Ponder this! "The LORD searches all hearts!" 

Next we have the heart-inspiring chapter Ezekiel 37, of the kingdom age when God tells the prophet of the kingdom age when, "My servant David shall be king" and "shall be their prince forever" [Ezekiel 37:24-25]. And then God "will make a covenant of peace with them. It shall be an everlasting covenant with them. And I will set them in their land and multiply them …" [Ezekiel 37:26] And then a wonderful climax is described in the last verse! "Then the nations will know that I am the LORD who sanctifies Israel, when my sanctuary is in their midst forevermore." Surely this will then be "a house of prayer for all nations." [isaiah 56:7; Mark 11:17].

At that time, it will be truly said by all then alive, "For God so loved the world …" This brings is to the climax of our thoughts in the final verse of John 3. But first we took note of  John 3:16. Jesus says, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

This is the most wonderful promise that has ever been made. Do we appreciate God's love? Do we live so that we show this? Let us all meditate at some time(s) every day on the most powerful message with which the chapter concludes. "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him." 

In what sense do fully committed believers have eternal life now? It is when their names "are written in the Lamb's book of life." [Revelation 21:27]. Remember what we read 2 days, Paul's words to the Philippians about those "who have laboured side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life." [Philippians 4:3] Let us fully, without reservation, believe that "God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." 

-------

- DC

12 October 2017

1 Chronicles 29

Ezekiel 38

John 4  

"YOURS, O LORD IS THE GREATNESS"

We tend to give only passing attention to our Chronicles reading because our other readings today in Ezekiel 38 and John 4 provoke so much thought. But in Chronicles we have the climax to King David's life. Consider the scene: he had made great provision for building the Temple, others had followed his example and "the people rejoiced because they had given willingly, for with a whole heart they had offered freely to the Lord" [1 Chronicles 29:9]. 

Consider now the exalted spirit owe read in David's final public prayer. "Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all. And now we thank you, our God, and praise your glorious name." [1 Chronicles 29:11-13]

We need to take special note of the sudden change of thought that now comes into the prayer! David's mind, his vision of life and all that it really amounts to, causes him to say, "But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able thus to offer willingly? For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you. For we are strangers before you and sojourners as all our fathers were. Our days on the earth are like a shadow, and there is no abiding." [1 Chronicles 29:14-15]

David was totally honest and faced the true reality of the human position in the way he thought, the human position is a total contrast to God's. He then becomes very personal about his relationship with God. "I know, my God, that you test the heart and have pleasure in uprightness. In the uprightness of my heart I have freely offered all these things, and now I have seen your people, who are present here, offering freely and joyously to you … keep forever such purposes and thoughts in the hearts of your people, and direct their hearts toward you." [1 Chronicles 29:17-18].

Let us emulate David's prayer whenever we pray for each other – as we should.

David now fell asleep and Solomon becomes king. David's Psalm [Psalm 17], as a prayer provides a fitting epitaph to the thoughts we have culled. Note particularly its last verse. "As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness." David has set us a heart moving example and meditation that we should follow!

-------

DC

13 October 2017

2 Chronicles 1; 2

Ezekiel 39

John 5  

"AN HOUR IS COMING WHEN …"

The words of Jesus recorded in John 5 make it one of the most challenging chapters in the Bible. After healing a man lame and unable to walk from his birth – Jesus declares that "… the Father loves the Son and shows him all that he himself is doing. And greater works than these will he show him, so that you may marvel." [John 5:20]. 

In John 5:25 we have some particularly thought challenging words! "I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live." What kind of "dead" is he talking about?  

Our thoughts go back to what we read in John 3 – the conversation of Jesus with Nicodemus, when Jesus told him, "You must be born again" and be "born of the Spirit." [John 3:7-8] This is the re-birth from "death" that Jesus is talking about! And it was "now here"! It occurred when they listened to Jesus and took his words into their hearts. It happens today to those who read and truly absorb God's word.

Paul told the Ephesians [Ephesians 2:1], "you were dead in trespasses and sins". The spirit inspired message of Jesus and his followers brought about the "hour" in which those "spiritually dead" were made alive – spiritually! Their minds were opened to the real meaning of life! That "hour" is in its final period in our days.

The climax to Jesus' words is in John 5:28, a prophecy yet to be fulfilled when Jesus returns. Jesus declares, "an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment" [John 5:28-29]. 

But those who have never bothered to learn and know his voice - the "life giving" words he spoke – causing them to "be born again" (remember what Jesus said to Nicodemus - John 3:5-7) they will not be "among those who hear" when Jesus comes to establish his kingdom. How sad! But they will not be "conscious" to know – they will have followed "the way (that) is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many …" [Matthew 7:13]. Let us be ready for the "hour (that) is coming"?

-------

- DC

14 October 2017

2 Chronicles 3; 4

Ezekiel 40

John 6  

"... AND YET YOU DO NOT BELIEVE"

What a fascinating chapter is John 6, but what caught our attention today was how, when the people did not get the answers and actions they requested from Jesus, so many turned away. The first 15 verses describe the miracle of feeding the 5,000. It excited the crowd and they were annoyed when they found he had slipped away from them. 

The disciples also were on their own and they experienced a storm on the lake and saw Jesus walking on the water in the storm "and they were frightened" [John 6:19] and he said, "'It is I' and they were glad to take him into the boat and immediately the boat was at the land" [John 6:21]

Is there a potential comparison with his return to earth: time when we are frightened by the chaos and "storms" in our lives in a world that descends into chaos? We noted "it was now dark" [John 6:17] as the disciples desperately rowed. Will anxious believers in this world's darkness be immediately certain the return of Jesus is actually happening? Let us listen for his voice.

The crowds catch up with Jesus and he says to them, "you are seeking me not because you saw signs, but because you ate the fill of the loaves" [John 6:26]. They ask, "What must we do, to be doing the works of God?" [John 6:28]. They are more interested in doing miracles themselves and to have more miraculous "loaves and fishes" than listening to his words and "the food (for thought and action) that endures to eternal life." [John 6:27]

They turn away from his comment, "This is the work of God that you believe in him whom God has sent." [John 6:29]. Real belief leads to actions to show acceptance of that belief! The people then were not prepared to think through what he means – and the same happens today.

Jesus says, "I am the bread of life … whoever believes in me shall never thirst …you have seen me and yet you do not believe" [John 6:36]. Later "many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him" [John 6:66]. On Monday we will read how Jesus said, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth …" [John 8:31]. Let us abide (live) with the words of Jesus and God in our hearts directing our actions.

-------

- DC

15 October 2017

2 Chronicles 5; 6

Ezekiel 41

John 7 

"WHY DID YOU NOT BRING HIM?"

The Chief Priests and Pharisees sent officers to arrest Jesus, but they returned having failed. The drama of this event is in our reading today in John 7. They are rebuked, “Why did you not bring him?” [John 7:45] and respond “No one ever spoke like this man.” We are given no detail of the scene, but we imagine these officers standing within the crowd of people who were absorbed in what Jesus was saying for “he was teaching them as one who had authority, and not as their scribes.” [Matthew 7:29]

No fiction writer could have invented the character of Jesus, it is impossible for anyone with a reasoning mind to read the Gospel records and not realize that these accounts have an overwhelming ring of truth about them. So we picture the dilemma of these officers sent on their impossible task of arresting Jesus. What was the real reason his arrest was sought?

Pilate realized the real reason; in Matthew’s Gospel it says “he knew that it was out of envy they had delivered him up” [Matthew 27:18] – and in the end, in order to secure his arrest they had needed the help of a traitor and the cover of darkness at the midnight hour coming “with swords and clubs” [Matthew 26:55] in order to make their arrest.

Before the officers came on their unsuccessful mission the crowd had been debating who he was for “some of the people said, ‘This really is the prophet’, others said ‘this is the Christ’ But some said, ‘Is the Christ to come from Galilee?” [John 7:40,41] This debate continues to this day – and we recognise that it is the will of God that it should be so; his birth in Bethlehem had been concealed. Why was this?

Are we going to complain because that which is true is not immediately made plain? Are we going to use this as an excuse for not believing? The character of Jesus and the impact he had – and then left on the earth after his death and resurrection – is in sufficient evidence for all who genuinely seek to find and believe. Truly “no one ever spoke like this man” and we turn away from reading of what he said, and what his followers were inspired to write, to our eternal loss.

-------

- DC

16 October 2017

2 Chronicles 7

Ezekiel 42

John 8  

"IF YOU ABIDE IN MY WORD YOU ARE …"

Jesus said, "Whoever is of God knows the words of God, the reason you do not hear them is that you are not of God" [John 8:47]. Of course they were hearing what he said. The point was they could not see what he meant because their minds were so fixed on their own way of thinking; in that sense, they were not hearing.  Is it not the same today? 

Thankfully some listen who do want to believe and understand what Jesus says. To them he says, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free" [John 8:32].  

This confuses them! Free from what? As descendants of Abraham, they say, we are not "slaved to anyone, how is it that you say,  'you will become free?'" [John 8:33]

Jesus then makes the point, "everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin … if the Son sets you free. You will be free indeed." [John 8:36] Most of his listeners fail to get the point – and in the end the essential point is whether they are "of God" – or not. If they are "of God" they will listen (and today, read) and develop an understanding of his words.  

It maybe that some or many who listened would later hear Peter's message on the day of Pentecost and who would abide (live) with his words in their hearts because they "were cut to the heart" [Acts 2:37] on is that day.

Their freedom was accomplished, they were honest with themselves, they accepted "the truth" – and were baptised! They heard Peter quote the Psalms, "You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence" [Acts 2:28] There are the two paths – of life – or of death. All begin by walking on the he path of death, but all have the opportunity to be set free from that path by seeing "the truth" that is revealed in God's word, first through the men of God, the prophets of old – and later by Jesus and the apostles. 

And today? Well, all can read God's word and develop an understanding of what Jesus really meant and learn, in their hearts how to "abide in my word" and then be truly walking on the path of life. Wonderful – for there is no third way. 

-------

- DC

17 October 2017

2 Chronicles 8

Ezekiel 43

John 9; 10  

"… AND FIND PASTURE"

Today John carefully details for us the teaching of Jesus about the shepherd and the sheep. How rewarding it is to meditate on his words. Jesus is both "the good shepherd" and "the door" by which the sheep enter. He says, "I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and go in and out and find pasture" [John 10:9]. His teaching is simple, yet profound at the same time; "I know my own and my own know me" [John 10:14]. 

How does this happen? Do our minds properly grasp what he next says? "Just as the Father knows me and I know the Father …" For us to know in this sense is to be aware of the need to develop a relationship that leads to an increasingly intimate understanding of divine thoughts and ways. Meditate on the relationship Jesus had with his Father. Jesus says the sheep "follow him, because they know his voice" [John 10:4].  

John and others were inspired (see John 14:25-26) to remember and write down what they heard and their writings have been preserved for us; they are the place where we can "find pasture" today in a world that surrounds us with virulent harmful weeds that corrupt our minds if we give these weeds opportunity to take root and grow. We must make sure we "find pasture" every day that will nourish our thinking and build up our spiritual wisdom. 

In finding pasture let us also find "rest." We live in days like Jeremiah who lamented, "'I am weary … and I find no rest' and the LORD says, 'I am bringing disaster upon all flesh …. But I will give you your life …'" [Jeremiah 45:3,5] We may feel like Jeremiah, if not now, then soon – so wee need to treasure in our minds the words of our Lord, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" [Matthew 11:29]. Let us make sure we do that today and every day – "and find pasture" of the very best kind.

-------

- DC 

18 October 2017

2 Chronicles 9

Ezekiel 44

John 11

"SO THAT YOU MAY BELIEVE"

What do you believe? Equally important, if not more so – is – Why do you believe what you claim to believe? We have searched our hearts in times past to give a genuine answer to this question ourselves.

Our asking of this question was prompted by what we read today in John 11. Jesus was conversing with his disciples and when he told them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep" [John 11:11] they did not realize that he meant he had died, "they thought that he meant taking rest in sleep. Then Jesus told them plainly, 'Lazarus has died, and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe.'" [John 11:15]

The account of the drama of Lazarus coming out of the tomb "his hands and his feet bound with linen straps, and his face wrapped with a cloth" [John 11:44] was surely an overwhelming experience for those privileged to witness it? This happened "so that you may (really) believe," said Jesus; that is, have the certainty of complete conviction in your hearts.

We believe in the return of Jesus – that this is the only hope for an increasingly discordant, chaotic and troubled world. The troubles vary depending on where you live. Many troubles are man-made, others are earthquakes, huge forest fires and the like. Do we possess such total conviction in our hearts that we will it not be shaken when this world starts to become torn apart in the time Daniel was told about? It is the time immediately preceding the resurrection. He was told "there shall be a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time" [Daniel 12:1].  

Jesus also predicted this, see Matthew 24:21-27.

Is our conviction of belief such that it is creating in us complete confidence and sureness of mind? At the end of that marvellous chapter about the sureness of the resurrection [1 Corinthians 15], Paul tells them, "be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labour is not in vain." Our personal experience is that the more we abound in the work of the Lord the stronger becomes our sureness of belief. 

-------

- DC

19 October 2017

2 Chronicles 10; 11

Ezekiel 45

John 12

"WHOEVER HATES HIS LIFE IN THIS WORLD"

In John's Gospel today we read that although Jesus "had done so many signs among them, they still did not believe in him" [John 12:37] This surprises us, but the main reason for this unbelief lies in the "difficult" things he said, such as, "Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life." [John 12:25] 

What did Jesus mean? We can understand some that are stricken down with a debilitating disease or grievously injured in some accident saying they now hate life – although even in those situations many still cling to life hoping there will be some improvement, some medical miracle. Their urgent background thought is probably because they believe this life is all there is – and - as the saying is - while there's life there's hope for better things.  

Against this background of human attitudes we ponder the nature of the attitude of those who really believe in Jesus. "'Though he die, yet shall he live,' Jesus told Martha concerning her dead brother Lazarus. And Martha replies, 'I know he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day'" [John 11:24- 25]. 

Then Jesus makes another strange statement, "everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die" [John 11:26]. It is necessary we develop the ability to think in the language the Bible uses, then the meaning soon becomes clear. In passages like 1 Corinthians 15:6,18 we see that believers who "have fallen asleep" means those who die with the hope of resurrection. When Jesus told his disciples "Lazarus has fallen asleep" [John 11:11] they misunderstood what he meant. 

Similarly, the word "hate" needs to be understood in the way Jesus uses it! Jesus said, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple." [Luke 14:27] 

We need to ask ourselves, What are the most important things in life for me? What tops the list? If we love the apparently fascinating things we are surrounded us day after day – where do we "stand" in the sight of God? 

The more we really love God, "life in this world" is seen in its' proper perspective of being eternally meaningless, unless we are developing a day after day relationship with God and His Son.

-------

- DC

20 October 2017

2 Chronicles 12; 13

Ezekiel 46

John 13; 14  

"BECAUSE I LIVE, YOU ALSO WILL LIVE"

Today's and tomorrow's chapters in John's Gospel are two of the most meaningful in the whole of the Bible. We must not make the mistake, as sadly some do, of plucking a few of the words out of their context.  

An essential theme in these chapters is to see that Jesus is talking about relationships: firstly, his relationship with his father – and then with those who truly believe. The result of fully believing in him leads to belief and a relationship with the Father. This leads to a relationship with the Spirit of God which we notice is 3 times called "the Spirit of truth" [John 14:17; 15:26; 16:13].

When Jesus said, "Because I live, you also will live" it is evident that he was not talking of normal human life. His resurrection will reveal that, it will turn their hearts from utter despair - to absolute wonderment!  

We notice the future tense, "you also will live"! In what way? He had already said, in telling them of his own future, "in the new world when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on 12 thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel." [Matthew 19:28] This was a specific promise to the faithful disciples.

Let us understand the link between this and his promise to them we read in John 14:1-3! Many misunderstand his words, "Let not your hearts be troubled … In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go and prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also." We are told in so many places in Scripture further details of "the new world" – it is clear that the whole world becomes "the Father's house".

In a sense it always has been "the Father's house", note how the LORD caused Isaiah to write of himself, that He was the one who "formed the earth and made it (he established it; he did not create it empty, he formed it to be inhabited!): 'I am the LORD, and there is no other. " [isaiah 45:18] These are some of the Scriptures which give the same message from God – of his purpose with the earth: Daniel 2:44; 7:18,27; Zechariah 14:9; Psalms 2:6-8 and Psalm 22:27.

We are reading in Ezekiel of a wondrous future house or temple. Let us link this with what we read earlier in John's gospel of Jesus condemning the Jews in the temple that then existed, saying "do not make my father's house a house of trade." [John 2:16] 

Through Ezekiel we have a picture of a far greater house (Temple) the Father will cause to be erected - and the resurrected disciples will one day occupy rooms in that house as they judge the 12 tribes of Israel. Jesus is saying to all who listen to him through reading his word, "Because I live, you also will live" Are you listening?

-------

- DC

21 October 2017

2 Chronicles 14; 15

Ezekiel 47

John 15; 16

"THE LORD IS WITH YOU WHILE YOU ARE WITH HIM"

A prophet said the above words to Asa, the great grandson of Solomon [2 Chronicles 15:2]. Our reading of the chapter shows that these words were heeded. It had been a time when "there was no peace to him who went out or to him who came in, for great disturbances afflicted all the inhabitants of the lands. They were broken in pieces. Nation was crushed by nation and city by city, for God troubled them with every sort of distress." [2 Chronicles 15:6-7]

That has been the scene in much of the world in recent years; it seems to be increasing but there is no prophet of God to give a challenging message today. Asa listened to God's prophet and we read how they "sought him (God) with their whole desire, and he was found by them, and the LORD gave them rest all around" [2 Chronicles 15:15]. But there was no Asa in the days of Jesus and we read in John 15 the emotional words of Jesus to his disciples, "If you were of the world the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world therefore the world hates you." [John 15:19]

Then Jesus said some words which also challenge us today, "If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have been guilty of sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin" [John 15:22]. Now think; the words of Jesus and others that God has sent with his messages can now be read in every language of the world. It is more than 400 years since the A.V. Bible was first printed and widely printed and then made available in more and more languages.. Today "they have no excuse" for ignoring God and his word.  

Jesus concludes his words to the disciples by saying, "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace (of mind). In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." [John 16:33] Let us take to heart the words of Paul that "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." [Philippians 4:7] 

Let us remember, "the LORD is with us while we are with him."

-------

- DC

22 October 2017

2 Chronicles 16; 17

Ezekiel 48

John 17; 18  

"… THEY ARE NOT OF THE WORLD"

The final prayer of Jesus before his arrest is intensely moving – it provokes the profoundest thoughts as we absorb its meaning into our minds. We could have expected Jesus to concentrate his thoughts inward, on himself and establish a conviction of mind that his will must become the same as his Father's will – and the other gospels show that he did this in the garden by the Mount of Olives (see Luke 22:39-46 and other gospels).

John's record as "the disciple whom Jesus (specially) loved" [John 21:7,20 &c] enables him to record his Master's intensely personal prayer that we read today in John 17. We read how Jesus "lifted up his eyes to heaven and said, 'The hour has come …'" [John 17:1] and there follows, after he has stated his deep awareness that his Father is "glorified" in what he has done and is about to do; he says [John 17:6] "I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world."  

The "name" of the Father can be understood as his intimate involvement with those called to serve him, as the disciples were: they became "worthy of his name" (see Acts 5:41). They became worthy of some degree of "reflection" in their characters, of his name. Only one was "lost … the son of destruction" [John 17:12]. 

For all the others, he said in prayer, "I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world …" [John 17:8-9].  

Then Jesus makes the point. "I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world." [John 17:14] What does it mean to be "not of the world"? It is a way of emphasizing the big difference between those who have their values and focus on this world and those whose minds are alive to "heavenly things" (Remember what Jesus said to Nicodemus – John 3:12). 

Jesus prays that his father "will keep them from evil" (AV – the Greek text does not have "evil one") Jesus then states again, "They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth" [John 17:16-17]  

The word "Sanctify" means to set apart to become holy – and "thy word" – God's word, the Bible, is an essential ingredient for that to happen. But how do we use that "ingredient" in our lives?  We must each ask ourselves that question!  

Just how well-nourished is my mind? Let us all give ourselves an honest answer.

-------

- DC

23 October 2017

2 Chronicles 18; 19

Daniel 1

John 19 

"AND HE KNOWS THAT HE IS TELLING THE TRUTH"

John's gospel provides us with the most intimate account of events in the life or Jesus – especially of those in the final hours of his mortal life. We read today in John 19 of how the soldiers broke the legs of the 2 crucified with him to make sure they were dead before the Sabbath began [John 19:31] "But when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs" [John 19:33]. 

John, "the disciple whom Jesus loved" (John 19:26 - which is the way John refers to himself – without naming himself) then makes a significant declaration. "He who saw it has borne witness ­his testimony is true, and he knows that he is telling the truth that you also may believe" [John 19:35]. Let us believe – but when we declare that we do – we must act in ways that show we mean what we declare!

We must follow through with truthful words – and actions – throughout our lives. In John 20, John makes a challenging statement - to us today – "these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." [John 20:31] What kind of life? All those who believe, as John most evidently did, have no doubt that he means "eternal life" – beginning from "the last day" when Jesus returns to judge the world. 

Let us finish by recalling the words of Jesus we read in John 12 "the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day. For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment­what to say and what to speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life." [John 12:48-50] Let us believe the words and commandments of Jesus – and acknowledge that John especially, who records them, "knows that he is telling the truth." 

It is also of heart-challenging value to remember the words of Jesus we read in John 6 "For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day." [John 6:40]

And how close are we now to "the last day"?

-------

- DC

24 October 2017

2 Chronicles 20

Daniel 2

John 20; 21

"THAT BY BELIEVING YOU MAY HAVE …" 

We felt overwhelmed by the lessons contained in today's 3 readings. First there was a sequel to what we read yesterday about Jehoshaphat. We read today of his remarkable God ordained victory over a large group of nations that came against his nation. Their efforts disintegrated into civil war [2 Chronicles 20:20-30]. In our lifetime we have seen a repeat of this, to some extent in the actions of the nations north and south of Israel!  Today the "surrounding nations" [Zechariah 12:2] are in disarray; are events building up to fulfill Zechariah 12:6? 

We put the jigsaw pieces of prophecy together – as closely as possible – but we need to be sure that all the adjoining pieces really lock together, before we can speak or write with total certainty. Most of us are familiar with Nebuchadnezzar's dream that we read today and the interpretation as revealed to Daniel. 

Daniel 2:39 has always seemed to us a puzzling interpretation; history shows that a the third kingdom, commonly accepted as the Greek dominion, never "bore rule over all the earth" it never functioned as a kingdom with a central seat of Government in Athens as the others did in their capitals. It was the Romans who "bore rule over all (the then known) earth." What followed the Romans, history shows it was the Islamic conquests! Finally recent history shows they have disintegrated into strong and weak nations – the influence of some having "oil" has made some strong.

But we are not saved by having our interpretation of the detail of such prophecies correct but by our reaction to and acceptance of what Christ really taught. As we read the climax of John's gospel we saw how he made this point very succinctly, "… these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." (end of John 20)

The genuineness of belief is shown by how people live as a result. What kind of "life" are you living? Are you believing from your heart (and therefore living) so that "you may have (eternal) life"? Paul made the point to the Colossians [Colossians 1:10] that they must "walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God." How "real" is your belief?

-------

- DC

25 October 2017

2 Chronicles 21; 22

Daniel 3

Acts 1

"THIS JESUS WILL COME IN THE SAME WAY AS …" 

We started reading the Acts of the Apostles today – it was written by Luke; his "first book" [Luke 1:1] was his gospel. He provides us with the plainest reference to what was said by the angels as Jesus left the disciples. "Two men … in white robes Men of Galilee … why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven." [Acts 1:11] - as Jesus ascended into heaven. 

Mark also records this event and states, "the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God." [Mark 16:19]

We believe Jesus "will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven." – and how close are we now to that event!? Today's generation, with God's word available in all languages, is completing the task of taking the divine message to all nations and all languages "to the end of the earth." 

Jesus words, as recorded by Matthew, are specific, "this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." [Matthew 24:14] The nations are as God sees them, not as how man has split them – and tried to 'meld' some of them, with their different languages together.

And when the end comes, let us make sure we are among those waiting for their Master, who will see him "come in the same way as" he was seen, by human eyes, to go into heaven. 

How close are we now to that event? There have been many anticipations over the years, indeed – over the centuries – and now that the nation of Israel has been reborn – anticipations at first increased! Let us increase our faith – and remember the climax Jesus gave to his parable of the wise and foolish virgins as to when (our) bridegroom would return! "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour." [Matthew 25:13] Not even the hour! How sudden! It will utterly astonish the earth! And us?

-------

- DC